PDA

View Full Version : Will the Heat be fined $500 000?

JasonJohnHorn
12-01-2012, 01:11 AM
As we all know the Spurs have been fined $250 000 for not playing the big three. My question is this: Will the Heat also be fined for doing the same thing? The last two games of the season last year the Heat benched LBJ, Wade and Bosh. Since Stern thinks this is a fine-worthy offense, is he going to go back and retrospectively fine other teams that have done this?

Thunder-Sooner
12-01-2012, 01:15 AM
I doubt he'll do it late in the year just because there usually isn't much to play for, I think he fined the Spurs because there's alot to play for and it brings the quality of the games down much more if they continue to do this.

giants73756
12-01-2012, 01:17 AM
What a ******** question.

Thunder-Sooner
12-01-2012, 01:19 AM

What a ******** response.

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Stern explicitly stated in his declaration that this offense took in a variety of factors including early in the season and that this was the Spurs only trip to Miami this year.

Would you all grow up and get off Stern's azz?

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:23 AM
As we all know the Spurs have been fined $250 000 for not playing the big three. My question is this: Will the Heat also be fined for doing the same thing? The last two games of the season last year the Heat benched LBJ, Wade and Bosh. Since Stern thinks this is a fine-worthy offense, is he going to go back and retrospectively fine other teams that have done this?

:laugh:

Yea, what about those poor entitled fans that paid all that money to see the Heat??? FINE COMING MIAMI

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Stern explicitly stated in his declaration that this offense took in a variety of factors including early in the season and that this was the Spurs only trip to Miami this year.

Its not stern's job to delegate how coaches run their teams. Get off stern's dick

Thunder-Sooner
12-01-2012, 01:26 AM

I agree, Stern gets too much undeserved crap.

SportsFanatic10
hahaha good logic. that is common practice at the end of the season. fans know that its a possibility then and it's obvious when you look at the teams record that they might be doing it down the stretch. the heat just went through there 4 games in 5 nights stretch and didn't bench anyone besides wade missing some time with injury. and they actually won that last game in denver. i don't agree with what stern did, but i can see why. pop tried to give the league the finger for the schedule by sending his players home, they should at least be with the team. and nobody was hurt at all. also i think it angered tnt an nba partner that he'd do it for the national tv game with a marquee matchup on the spurs only visit to south beach, instead of during one of the other games against weaker teams. pop said it wasn't about the heat but it was, he calculated who he thought they'd beat and chose to take the heat game as a chance to rest.

gaughan333
why should those things matter?

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Its not stern's job to delegate how coaches run their teams. Get off stern's dick

You should have quit 39 posts ago if this is the lame kind of stuff you're going to come up with. It's his job to protect the product the league puts out there in front of fans and on networks.

Sitting players is not the same as sending them home on a plane before the game.

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
why should those things matter?

It cheats fans.

Like it or not, this has become a superstar league and that is why we have Thursday Night Doubleheaders (the expanded popularity of marketable "superstars). Additionally, Stern said (and I would agree with) that the Spurs did not give proper notification to the Heat organization, the network, or the fans.

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Why is this even another thread? We already have the original Spurs thread and everything that is said here or there applies the same.

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
You should have quit 39 posts ago if this is the lame kind of stuff you're going to come up with. It's his job to protect the product the league puts out there in front of fans and on networks.

Sitting players is not the same as sending them home on a plane before the game.

So you would have felt better if you could have looked at Tim Duncan in street clothes? Not sure that would affect the ratings all that much big guy.

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:35 AM
You should have quit 39 posts ago if this is the lame kind of stuff you're going to come up with...

I just hope i can get to 8,000 posts one day like you. and you should quit following the NBA if you cheer for the T'Wolves :laugh:

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 01:36 AM

Do you hate David Stern that bad that you can't see the difference in the two scenarios?

Scenario 1. POP tells his entire starting 5 to go home early, don't even show up to the game cause you guys are old so we need you fresh, all this when they are only 15 games into the season. YOU don't care, but what if you were a Spurs fan and you paid top notch money to see two of the better teams in the NBA go at it? I don't condone the fine, but I most certainly understand why Stern felt he had to do something.

Scenario 2. Miami Heat have the East locked up, have the #1 seed locked up and the season is just about over. He decides to bench his top 3 players to prevent them from injury and to keep them fresh.

Do you seriously not see the difference in the two?

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Do you hate David Stern that bad that you can't see the difference in the two scenarios?

Scenario 1. POP tells his entire starting 5 to go home early, don't even show up to the game cause you guys are old so we need you fresh, all this when they are only 15 games into the season. YOU don't care, but what if you were a Spurs fan and you paid top notch money to see two of the better teams in the NBA go at it? I don't condone the fine, but I most certainly understand why Stern felt he had to do something.

Scenario 2. Miami Heat have the East locked up, have the #1 seed locked up and the season is just about over. He decides to bench his top 3 players to prevent them from injury and to keep them fresh.

Do you seriously question Pop's knowledge that the regular season doesn't mean squat, that he will get his team to the playoffs regardless, and its his JOB to manage his team to put them in the best position to win in the PLAYOFFS.

And again, if you are so concerned about paying your hard earned money to watch a game, do your research, and know that pop tends to rest his players more, and make your decision accordingly.

Mr_Jones
12-01-2012, 01:42 AM
The Spurs never should have been fined in the first place...

I'm a ******.

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:45 AM
So you would have felt better if you could have looked at Tim Duncan in street clothes? Not sure that would affect the ratings all that much big guy.

I just hope i can get to 8,000 posts one day like you. and you should quit following the NBA if you cheer for the T'Wolves :laugh:

What'd you just graduate Troll Academy and this is your first day?

I felt Duncan, Parker and Ginobli should have been suited up and probably at least played the first couple minutes if that was the lineup they had submitted to the league. Whatever the case, they should have been in uniform with at least the prospect of playing and the presence at the arena to sign autographs.

kbtwofour
12-01-2012, 01:51 AM

He pretty much has to do that from now on and in the future to be consistent with his decisions.

It's a different thing to bench your best players at the end of the season comparing to sending your best players home at the first part of the season and not telling anyone in advance.

Nobody would complain about benching your best players at the end of the season and not risk having your best players take a chance of getting injured when your team already has clinched a playoff spot.

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 01:53 AM
What'd you just graduate Troll Academy and this is your first day?

I felt Duncan, Parker and Ginobli should have been suited up and probably at least played the first couple minutes if that was the lineup they had submitted to the league. Whatever the case, they should have been in uniform with at least the prospect of playing and the presence at the arena to sign autographs.

Huh? I'm a 'troll' because i disagree with you :confused:

Heat fans are going to want manu ginobili's autograph? Do you know the demographics of Miami? And since when are players required to sign autographs?

topdog
12-01-2012, 01:58 AM

It's "retroactively" btw.

topdog
12-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Huh? I'm a 'troll' because i disagree with you :confused:

Heat fans are going to want manu ginobili's autograph? Do you know the demographics of Miami? And since when are players required to sign autographs?

1. You're a troll because the majority of what you have posted has nothing to do with the topic: the fact that I'm a Wolves fan, my 8000+ posts, telling me to get off Stern's dick and calling me "big guy" (you don't know anything about my size)

2. Who said only Heat fans are allowed to attend the game? There are Spurs fans in Florida, there are Manu fans in Florida (especially with a Hispanic heritage) and there are just plain NBA fans in Florida.

3. Did I say that anyone is "required" to sign autographs? No. I don't know of any player that doesn't though and I also know that many people go to games early in hopes of getting autographs.

J Shuttles
12-01-2012, 02:05 AM
1. You're a troll because the majority of what you have posted has nothing to do with the topic: the fact that I'm a Wolves fan, my 8000+ posts, telling me to get off Stern's dick and calling me "big guy" (you don't know anything about my size)

And you telling me i "should have quit 39 posts ago" wasn't off topic?? :confused:

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Do you seriously question Pop's knowledge that the regular season doesn't mean squat, that he will get his team to the playoffs regardless, and its his JOB to manage his team to put them in the best position to win in the PLAYOFFS.

And again, if you are so concerned about paying your hard earned money to watch a game, do your research, and know that pop tends to rest his players more, and make your decision accordingly.

Pop is the best coach of the last 10 years IMO. Better than Phil. I'm not questioning his ability to coach, is that really what you got out of what I said? My point flew right over your head.

The NBA is a business. You don't seem understand it from that perspective, only the perspective of Greg Pop.

Okay so I'm supposed to be psychic and know exactly which game the guy will send his entire starting 5 home?

Okay smart guy so why don't you tell me which games Pop will bench his starting 5? Actually since it's so easy to find out, tell me how many times any coach in NBA history has sent home their entire starting 5, 15 games into the season.

John Walls Era
12-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Stern should've just issued a warning instead of a fine right away. I think Stern is right in that he wants the best product on the floor, but Popovich isn't wrong because there are no rules in place for playing the BPA.

topdog
12-01-2012, 02:12 AM
And you telling me i "should have quit 39 posts ago" wasn't off topic?? :confused:

When your first "contribution" to the topic is quoting me and saying, "Its not stern's job to delegate how coaches run their teams. Get off stern's dick" my comment is for the benefit of all.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Lolol, what a stupid thread. Of course not.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Stern should've just issued a warning instead of a fine right away. I think Stern is right in that he wants the best product on the floor, but Popovich isn't wrong because there are no rules in place for playing the BPA.

Fair points.

ChiTownPacerFan
12-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Since when is it a coaches job to entertain fans? If the league is going to fine teams for not providing an entertaining enough product, shouldn't the Bobcats have been fined about 10 million dollars last season? The coaches job is to win! In the case of an elite team like the Spurs, it's a coaches jobs to win championships. There's a distinction here between competition and entertainment, and Stern and the NBA clearly are more interested in entertainment.

Teeboy1487
12-01-2012, 02:33 AM
It was stupid issuing the fine.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Since when is it a coaches job to entertain fans? If the league is going to fine teams for not providing an entertaining enough product, shouldn't the Bobcats have been fined about 10 million dollars last season? The coaches job is to win! In the case of an elite team like the Spurs, it's a coaches jobs to win championships. There's a distinction here between competition and entertainment, and Stern and the NBA clearly are more interested in entertainment.

You guys don't seem to understand that this is a business.

It's to coaches job to win championships, and it's the owners job to make money. You guys need to stop letting your hate for Stern blind you.

tr3ymill3r
12-01-2012, 03:05 AM

Derp a derp derp a derp

richiesaurus310
12-01-2012, 03:12 AM
MJ should have been fined $10,000,000 last season for owning an entire team that was worst than the spurs team that suited up against the heat.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 03:14 AM
MJ should have been fined $10,000,000 last season for owning an entire team that was worst than the spurs team that suited up against the heat.

Sigh.

There's a big difference between not being able to put out a good team and not choosing to.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 03:14 AM
You guys don't seem to understand that this is a business.

It's to coaches job to win championships, and it's the owners job to make money. You guys need to stop letting your hate for Stern blind you.

Im not sure which side of the argument your on but the NBA is a business & the Spurs players boss gave them the day off. Perfectly legal in any other business. You are also spot on when saying it the Spurs owners job to make money & they do a damn good job of it for such a small market. If the league truly has a problem with it than they should set forth some rules. As of now there aren't any. This has nothing to do with hate for Stern as I am indifferent. I do not agree with the fine because there is no precedent & you can not single out one team just because it is the beginning of the year. Fine the weak teams for obvious intentional bombing. Fine the teams who lock up seeding in the PO's and sit their players. Perhaps they should have investigators come by & somehow give the players actual exams to insure they are indeed "injured." To boil it down this has always happened. It just doesn't happen with much regularity & most teams chalk it up to "back spasms". NOT A BIG DEAL.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Im not sure which side of the argument your on but the NBA is a business & the Spurs players boss gave them the day off. Perfectly legal in any other business. You are also spot on when saying it the Spurs owners job to make money & they do a damn good job of it for such a small market. If the league truly has a problem with it than they should set forth some rules. As of now there aren't any. This has nothing to do with hate for Stern as I am indifferent. I do not agree with the fine because there is no precedent & you can not single out one team just because it is the beginning of the year. Fine the weak teams for obvious intentional bombing. Fine the teams who lock up seeding in the PO's and sit their players. Perhaps they should have investigators come by & somehow give the players actual exams to insure they are indeed "injured." To boil it down this has always happened. It just doesn't happen with much regularity & most teams chalk it up to "back spasms". NOT A BIG DEAL.

Im not sure which side of the argument your on but the NBA is a business & the Spurs players boss gave them the day off.

Neither. I have state numerous times I understand why both sides did what they did.

If the league truly has a problem with it than they should set forth some rules. As of now there aren't any. This has nothing to do with hate for Stern as I am indifferent. I do not agree with the fine because there is no precedent & you can not single out one team just because it is the beginning of the year.

The reason there are no rules for it is because it most likely hasn't ever been done in NBA history. That's not David Stern's fault. I don't agree with the fine, I've said that before but I also believe he had to do something. Maybe a warning would have been better I don't know.

Fine the weak teams for obvious intentional bombing. Fine the teams who lock up seeding in the PO's and sit their players. Perhaps they should have investigators come by & somehow give the players actual exams to insure they are indeed "injured." To boil it down this has always happened. It just doesn't happen with much regularity & most teams chalk it up to "back spasms". NOT A BIG DEAL.

This is the NBA, there's a draft lottery this isn't football where the worst record gets the best pick. Also, when teams tank, they don't do it 15 games into the season and they surely don't send their starting 5 home.

No this has not always happened. I can't recall a top team sending home the starting 5 15 games into the season. I could be wrong, if I am please correct me.

richiesaurus310
12-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Sigh.

There's a big difference between not being able to put out a good team and not choosing to.

I was being sarcastic. But at the same time it is kind of true. :D

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 03:31 AM
I was being sarcastic. But at the same time it is kind of true. :D

If you were being sarcastic then alright cool, but it's not the same in any way.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Neither. I have state numerous times I understand why both sides did what they did.

The reason there are no rules for it is because it most likely hasn't ever been done in NBA history. That's not David Stern's fault. I don't agree with the fine, I've said that before but I also believe he had to do something. Maybe a warning would have been better I don't know.

This is the NBA, there's a draft lottery this isn't football where the worst record gets the best pick. Also, when teams tank, they don't do it 15 games into the season and they surely don't send their starting 5 home.

No this has not always happened. I can't recall a top team sending home the starting 5 15 games into the season. I could be wrong, if I am please correct me.
Why does it matter that it is 15 games into the season? Outside of that teams "rest" players. That is not unheard of. Not their starting 5 either. 3 starters, 1 of which is of no consequence to this discussion really.

So what your saying is that teams can rest their players as long as it isn't too early into the season & only certain players? What is an acceptable amount of minutes to force upon weary players? How can you possibly put those kinds of restrictions on this? Does everyone not realize that the common practice of "back spasms" or "tendinosis" will just become even more common? Who is going to call Pop a liar in a few weeks when he does it again but the players are "injured"? Teams do this. Perhaps not 15 games into the season which means very little imo, but they do. This doesn't happen often enough to matter, but it happens every year.

krisxsong
12-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Why does it matter that it is 15 games into the season? Outside of that teams "rest" players. That is not unheard of. Not their starting 5 either. 3 starters, 1 of which is of no consequence to this discussion really. So 2 really.

So what your saying is that teams can rest their players as long as it isn't too early into the season & only certain players? How can you possibly put those kinds of restrictions on this? Does everyone not realize that the common practice of "back spasms" or "tendinosis" will just become even more common? Who is going to call Pop a liar in a few weeks when he does it again but the players are "injured"? Teams do this. Perhaps not 15 games into the season which means very little imo, but they do. This doesn't happen often enough to matter, but it happens every year.

Teams do not do this. Again if I'm wrong please bring up instances where a coach of one of the best teams sends home his starting 5 against the best team in the NBA 15 games into the season?

When teams give their older players rest, they usually rest 1 or 2 players at a time, sending home your entire starting 5 is unheard of.

If the team is going to lie about injuries, it will come out. You think it wouldn't but it will come out and trust me if a team is lieing about injuries then there's a real problem.

I don't have a problem with Pop doing this. I personally, really don't. They forfeit their game against Miami to keep their core fresh and healthy. But there's always two sides to a story.

As the owner of the NBA you can't let that slide.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 04:10 AM
First off he is not the owner of the NBA. He is the commissioner. You keep saying starting 5 but that isn't the case. Gino is a 20 mpg role player now(not a starter) & lets face it no one would ever be upset over Danny Green being inactive. But teams have kept their superstars out of games before. Teams intentionally bomb towards the end of the year. Teams will sit players when playoff seeding is locked up. Teams sit players out of caution(which is what Pop did). There are no rules against this. You are also being too literal. Answer my question. Why does it matter if it is just 15 games into the season? Are only top seeded teams to be held accountable? A limit to how many players? Where do you set the precedent? Also if you want examples of this than look back the last few years at this very team. Pop has been known to do this & many Spurs fans called this as a "rest" game when this schedule came out. The only person who would be out of the ordinary is Green but once again, no one is upset he didn't play. Damn I haven't even mentioned how brutal the Spurs schedule has been. 11 of these past 17 games have been road games. 7 games in 11 days. 4 in the last 5. How often does that happen when your opponent has had 4 days of rest? Talk about integrity of the game. Unfair advantage much?

HuRRiCaNeS324
12-01-2012, 04:23 AM

Wow what a dumbass question...

Good job OP, you enlightened us all about how "unfair" Stern is.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 04:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

I am not really an anti Stern guy, but this is a pretty damn good article.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 04:35 AM
“Strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams. And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess."

That is a quote from our soon to be NBA commissioner Adam Silver from last year.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Also for those who think this bad for basketball look to Tim Duncan's resurgence. Perhaps this very thing the last few years is helping him stay spry? He is playing great this year. That definitely helps the business that is the NBA.

UnWantedTheory
12-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Teams do not do this. Again if I'm wrong please bring up instances where a coach of one of the best teams sends home his starting 5 against the best team in the NBA 15 games into the season?

When teams give their older players rest, they usually rest 1 or 2 players at a time, sending home your entire starting 5 is unheard of.

If the team is going to lie about injuries, it will come out. You think it wouldn't but it will come out and trust me if a team is lieing about injuries then there's a real problem.

I don't have a problem with Pop doing this. I personally, really don't. They forfeit their game against Miami to keep their core fresh and healthy. But there's always two sides to a story.

As the owner of the NBA you can't let that slide.

Not sure how many games into the season it was but in 2009 Pop rested the BIG 3 & Michael Finley against the Denver Nuggets(a good 50 game winning playoff team at that time). Not a peep then or any other time from the league or Stern.

JasonJohnHorn
12-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Don't you think it's kind of weird how Stern gets upset when Miami fans don't get to watch Dunca, Parker and Manu, but he doesn't get upset when Washington fans and Boston fans don't get to see LBJ, Bosh and Wade?

The problem here is that there is no precedent. There are no rules against doing what Pop did and so to fine him is wrong. Pop did the same thing last season and no objections were raised, in fact, a statement was made saying it was fine.

Knowing that there are no rules against it, why should Pop or the Spurs get fined?

Kenny makes a good point about this:
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/30/blogtable-what-about-pop/?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Now that it has happened, if Stern is unhappy with it and wants change the rules to prevent future occurances, that's fine. But when there is no rule in place, and therefore no rule has been broken, how is it fair to levy a fine?

Big Zo
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Also for those who think this bad for basketball look to Tim Duncan's resurgence. Perhaps this very thing the last few years is helping him stay spry? He is playing great this year. That definitely helps the business that is the NBA.

You don't do this in November, and much less for a marquee game.

Jesse2272
12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHSAE1gIs

Bring it Stern

Chill_Will_24
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
All Stern cares about is money. He does not want stars sitting for marquee games.

He is a slave owner and the players are all slaves. The NBA is his plantation. He sees NBA players as nothing but property.

TNT televised games he does not care who it is or why, the stars BETTER play or he will be upset.

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I doubt he'll do it late in the year just because there usually isn't much to play for, I think he fined the Spurs because there's alot to play for and it brings the quality of the games down much more if they continue to do this.

1 game is 1 game. You don't get extra wins or losses earlier in the season. Most ignorant argument to defend Stern, only makes it look worse.

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2012, 01:58 PM

There is ZERO difference. Not a ****ing ounce of difference. Resting players in game 18 or game 80 equal the EXACT same thing

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2012, 01:59 PM
You don't do this in November, and much less for a marquee game.

Means nothing. Worthless point

FOBolous
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
i always wonder why no teams rebels against Stern and gives hi the middle finger

dewpsp
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM

so you saying "Would you all grow up and get off Stern's azz?" is not off topic? wow. you're the one that started going off topic **** dumbass. so stfu. your post in this thread is annoying when you're the ****ing moron that instigated everything. probably a nerdy 16 year old telling someone to growup. hilarious.

and most people here agree that stern should **** off in situations like these. he has no right telling a coach what to do. so the spurs should just lie and say they were sick or something? stern's old age is affecting his decisions. he did not make one right decisions for the past two years.

only fining the spurs because it is early is stupid also. a game is a game no matter when. there are games near the end of the season where a team makes their only trip to another's team court, so his reasonings are baseless. he better fine every team that sits their top players from here on out.

Big Zo
12-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Means nothing. Worthless point

My point is worth 250 grand.

likemystylez
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM

not a ******** question... at what exact point is it acceptable to do it? I think it depends on the team, their record, their goals etc.

I mean since stern is basically making up rules to fine teams for- I think the rules should be made more clear?

likemystylez
12-01-2012, 03:00 PM
All Stern cares about is money. He does not want stars sitting for marquee games.

he just represented a group of owners where 2/3 of them were losing money year in and year out. He has kind of a responsability to try to address this problem. Although- he was out of line to make it a public issue right away.

He is a slave owner and the players are all slaves. The NBA is his plantation. He sees NBA players as nothing but property.

right...he has a responsability to market the league to corporate sponsors... you know the same sponsors who give the players shoe contracts and allow them to make millions

TNT televised games he does not care who it is or why, the stars BETTER play or he will be upset.

His job is to address this- he cant tell the spurs what to do and shouldnt have fined them, but he should have had a private convo with peter holt (one of the owners complaining about losing money btw)

mavwar53
12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Stern is a Moron, I've gone to baseball games, where the road team benched their starter for a day of rest, should Bud have fined that team because I didn't get to see the best product on the field? Stern has no right in determining who should play on any given night. He is such a control freak, which is why Anthony Davis is on the Hornets.

Thunder-Sooner
12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Derp a derp derp a derp

Whatever that means.

netsgiantsyanks
12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
lol someone didn't read or listen carefully, only reason stern found this fine-worthy is because they did it too early in the season and didn't notify anyone about it. i still think its ******** though.

topdog
12-01-2012, 04:54 PM
so you saying "Would you all grow up and get off Stern's azz?" is not off topic? wow. you're the one that started going off topic **** dumbass. so stfu. your post in this thread is annoying when you're the ****ing moron that instigated everything. probably a nerdy 16 year old telling someone to growup. hilarious.

and most people here agree that stern should **** off in situations like these. he has no right telling a coach what to do. so the spurs should just lie and say they were sick or something? stern's old age is affecting his decisions. he did not make one right decisions for the past two years.

only fining the spurs because it is early is stupid also. a game is a game no matter when. there are games near the end of the season where a team makes their only trip to another's team court, so his reasonings are baseless. he better fine every team that sits their top players from here on out.

My first post was on topic. I feel that this thread was merely started as an attack on Stern rather than a serious discussion like some people were trying to have in the original thread actually pertaining to what happened. Additionally, I did not target any specific poster with what I said but simply made a general rebuke.

Everything else you wrote is purely opinion with no argument. Prove something up in that emotional rant up there and I will respond to it with a thoughtful argument of my own.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-01-2012, 05:13 PM
So let me get this straight.

Spurs have been fined for "cheating" the fans out of seeing stars. Yet the game was decided within the final minute of play and had 25+ lead changes.

All of these "fans" have also been the same ones labeling the Spurs as "old and boring" for the past decade.

Lol Stern, what a joke of a league.

topdog
12-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Don't you think it's kind of weird how Stern gets upset when Miami fans don't get to watch Dunca, Parker and Manu, but he doesn't get upset when Washington fans and Boston fans don't get to see LBJ, Bosh and Wade?

The problem here is that there is no precedent. There are no rules against doing what Pop did and so to fine him is wrong. Pop did the same thing last season and no objections were raised, in fact, a statement was made saying it was fine.

Knowing that there are no rules against it, why should Pop or the Spurs get fined?

Kenny makes a good point about this:
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/30/blogtable-what-about-pop/?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

Now that it has happened, if Stern is unhappy with it and wants change the rules to prevent future occurances, that's fine. But when there is no rule in place, and therefore no rule has been broken, how is it fair to levy a fine?

Before anyone else gets upset, I will say first that I can see both sides of this issue and I jumped in on the pro-fine side essentially because I saw too many people making this topic into "Stern is the devil."

I agree that it's a big fine seemingly out of nowhere. There were some rumors that Pop has been talked to about this before or at least that there was a strong sentiment against this (but not strong enough to come up with an official rule).

Now, Ernie and C-Webb bring up the other part of why Stern could do this. First off, just like our US Constitution, there are little ambiguous clauses in the rules that allow Stern to make decisions under the heading of "the spirit of the game/of competitiveness." If there is an uproar from owners, then he might have to reverse course but that does not seem to be the case.

The next part is the fact that it is the beginning of the year and no one expects this. I get that Kenny can say Pop is starting a new thing just like resting players for the playoffs was a new thing at one point in time. Pop knows what he's doing, but that leads me to the "timeliness" of it all. With one quick detour to say that there should not be fines at the end of the year because those teams are aiming for a title (where they will be on national t.v. multiple times for everyone) and that last year is a totally different schedule story with the condensed season.

So, the final part of Stern's announcement was that the Spurs did not notify the network, the fans or the Heat in a timely enough manner. That's important. Pop said he knew back in August that he was going to do this. He easily could have let that be know to the league and they could have possibly re-scheduled with the network (who pays a shitload for the rights) or at least given them a head's up not to promote it the same way. Same thing with the Heat organization. If they know that the Spurs aren't going to play their best players, they don't have the PR nightmare of advertising it that way.

Finally, however you feel about Stern, I would say that you have to understand what his job really entails. First and foremost his job is about making the NBA profitable and "fair" for the owners - they are the ones who employ him and they are the ones expecting him to grow the league monetarily.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2012, 05:26 PM

well, Stern is treading murky waters with this decision. Pops has done this forever, but now that its a nationally televised game, in Miami, its suddenly an action worth noting?

Stern reached here, and he has no business interfering with how a coach plays his rotations. 4 games in 5 nights, on the road, against a great team. Pops had this game scheduled to rest his guys the minute the schedule came out, Stern needs to back off.

topdog
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
well, Stern is treading murky waters with this decision. Pops has done this forever, but now that its a nationally televised game, in Miami, its suddenly an action worth noting?

Stern reached here, and he has no business interfering with how a coach plays his rotations. 4 games in 5 nights, on the road, against a great team. Pops had this game scheduled to rest his guys the minute the schedule came out, Stern needs to back off.

I was going off memory and forgot to mention the 3rd factor of the "totality" and that is the lack of notice from the Spurs about their lineup change which combines to negatively impact the reputation and profitability of the NBA (the things Stern's job is really concerned about).

If we're talking about basic gut opinions, I would say this is a warning to teams not to skip out on primetime nationally-televised games. Of course, there is only circumstantial evidence for that.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I was going off memory and forgot to mention the 3rd factor of the "totality" and that is the lack of notice from the Spurs about their lineup change which combines to negatively impact the reputation and profitability of the NBA (the things Stern's job is really concerned about).

If we're talking about basic gut opinions, I would say this is a warning to teams not to skip out on primetime nationally-televised games. Of course, there is only circumstantial evidence for that.

Then the warning needs to come before the fine. If Stern wants to make sure his nationally televised games are two teams playing honestly, he needs to make it clear, so Pops could have picked the previous nights game to sit them.

topdog
12-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Then the warning needs to come before the fine. If Stern wants to make sure his nationally televised games are two teams playing honestly, he needs to make it clear, so Pops could have picked the previous nights game to sit them.

I agree that the warning should have come first. I think Stern is in a bit of a bind where the owners won't ratify an official rule and yet he knows the negative impact of letting it slide on a TNT Thursday night game could have on future t.v. deals.

He definitely could have handled this better. I wouldn't discount some bad blood between him and Pop either. At the end of the day, I just feel like people are too quick to villanize Stern without considering what being successful at his job entails (and how that has benefited fans and the NBA) or realizing his limits (people were blaming him for making the schedule).

BcEuAbRsS
12-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I think he should fine the Bulls $1,000,000 for allowing Rose to miss so many games.

knicks=love
12-01-2012, 06:13 PM
it depends on the time they do it in the season. if it's the last 2 games of the season, it's reasonable since you're going to the playoffs and you want your key players healthy.

BcEuAbRsS
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
it depends on the time they do it in the season. if it's the last 2 games of the season, it's reasonable since you're going to the playoffs and you want your key players healthy.

But screw having them healthy during the season right?

shizzle09
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM

agreed

Thunder-Sooner
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM
1 game is 1 game. You don't get extra wins or losses earlier in the season. Most ignorant argument to defend Stern, only makes it look worse.

1 game really is 1 game?! My point is later in the season there usually isn't that much to play for, also you should go complain about something that matters.

leafswin2011
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
so if the spurs win do they still get fined?

VinceCarter
12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
My question is this: Will the Heat also be fined for doing the same thing? The last two games of the season last year the Heat benched LBJ, Wade and Bosh.

TERRIBLE logic. This season is young and fans expect to see teams at full strength (injuries as an exception of course). Games at the END of the season are when you are supposed to rest your big names.

I'm not saying I like Stern but don't bring up something this stupid trying to stir up some hate.

VinceCarter
12-01-2012, 11:40 PM
so if the spurs win do they still get fined?

Yes.

Young2Kinsler
12-02-2012, 01:29 AM
1 game really is 1 game?! My point is later in the season there usually isn't that much to play for, also you should go complain about something that matters.

There is no valid point in your argument. Winning game 18 gives you the same advantage as winning game 82

ghettosean
12-02-2012, 02:04 AM
TERRIBLE logic. This season is young and fans expect to see teams at full strength (injuries as an exception of course). Games at the END of the season are when you are supposed to rest your big names.

I'm not saying I like Stern but don't bring up something this stupid trying to stir up some hate.

Is that a rule or something?!?! Get real....

If your team played 4 games in 5 days and you want to give your starters the night off for busting there butts so many nights in a row there is no fault on the coach or team for that... The league is to blame for terrible scheduling not the team resting there over worked players and looking out for there teams and core players best interests.

It's not like they were on Miami's schedule anyway where they played 3 games in 12 days.

VinceCarter
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Is that a rule or something?!?! Get real....

If your team played 4 games in 5 days and you want to give your starters the night off for busting there butts so many nights in a row there is no fault on the coach or team for that... The league is to blame for terrible scheduling not the team resting there over worked players and looking out for there teams and core players best interests.

It's not like they were on Miami's schedule anyway where they played 3 games in 12 days.

Or should the Spurs have saw the Heat were on the back end of it and rested their stars prior so you could have them against the defending champs on national television...I blame the Spurs.

Also, of course it is not a rule don't be a smartass.

Chronz
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes I get Stern was way out of line but the precedent has been set here and now. You could go back ALOT further and dig up examples where Stern should have fined coaches.

Chronz
12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Or should the Spurs have saw the Heat were on the back end of it and rested their stars prior so you could have them against the defending champs on national television...I blame the Spurs.
Idiotic, a win is what they care about. Ask yourself if its easier to beat the Heat or whatever bum team they played before them. Why would you rest your players for the HARDER team? It was a no lose situation for Pop. Either his scrubs get blown out and its an understandable learning experience OR his 2nd unit makes a game out of it and gains that much more confidence. GENIUS

jensan
12-02-2012, 01:15 PM
The logic here was that is was a nationally televised game on TNT and , Stern indicated the lifeline of NBA basketball is the contract that the NBA has with National Tv.

FreakaNashur
12-02-2012, 01:19 PM

******** questions deserve ******** responses.

gotoHcarolina52
12-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Stern knows better than to touch the HEAT. Sacred cows get preferred treatment.

Mr.Nate30
12-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Also, of course it is not a rule don't be a smartass.

LOL the reason Pop rested his players against miami was to maximize his wins potential. Pop saw the schedule and knew the chance to lose against miami was higher then other games so he rested them that game instead resting them another game losing then playing miami and possibly losing again.

Lil Rhody
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM

I was at the game against the celtics and all these people that are *****ing about the spurs didn't say **** last year

magic0320
12-02-2012, 03:53 PM
**** cheating fans. if i am spurs fan i am happy as hack because they will be well rested.

theheatles
12-02-2012, 03:57 PM
national tv and it being the spurs only trip to miami is why they were fined but really because it was a nationally televised game