PDA

View Full Version : Serious question concerning what people think about Pau Gasol

dh144498
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
was Pau Gasol 1st option, 2nd option, or 1a/1b with Kobe in 2009-2010? (no troll answers) :)

tredigs
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Kobe took 21.5 shots a game, Pau took 13 shots a game. What's not adding up?

JesusWears24
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
It was like when Shaq ate first and Kobe(just as important) ate second. In this case Kobe ate first and then Gasol.

Raps08-09 Champ
Kobe always a 2nd option when they winning titles.

Money_23
I can already tell where this thread is going to end up. haha

bucketss
11-30-2012, 03:41 PM
im not even gonna vote what kind of question is this? lol

b@llhog24
11-30-2012, 03:42 PM
2nd option. 1A, 1B as far as overall impact goes.

Minimal
11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
During the season Gasol had better PER and more Win Shares than Kobe. During playoffs same PER and more winshares than Kobe.

Still I say it was 1a/1b. They were both as important.

ManRam
11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Pau was never a first option...assuming this is just pertaining to scoring. A lot of the time he was a 1b to Kobe's 1a, but never the clear first option. In their championship runs, I do think they were essentially of equal value. But Kobe forever is a first option.

DanG
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
1a 1b

Hellcrooner
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Kobe took much more shot thus pau was a second option.

If you mean value to the team succes, then its a 1a 1b situation.

Chronz
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Are you asking us to evaluate their impact or their propensity for putting up shots?

Money_23
11-30-2012, 04:44 PM
I wonder who voted for 1st option.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I wonder who voted for 1st option.

I did.

I believe that I didn't have to answer seriously because this is a stupid question.

mngopher35
11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Kobe was clearly the first option on that team. If your asking who had the most value to that team its closer to a 1a 1b situation.

Money_23
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I did.

I believe that I didn't have to answer seriously because this is a stupid question.

how come?

Raps08-09 Champ
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
how come?

Kobe was the guy they looked for on offense over anyone else. The definition of a 1st option.

I assumed that was simple enough and that he was only asking for the hell of it. So why give an answer he already knew.

nickdymez
11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
how come?

Dont mind Rap. If it isnt a thread about how much you can kiss Lebrons sack, then he wont take it serious. Im kind of surprised that a Lebron reference didnt come out as his answer

nickdymez
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
During the season Gasol had better PER and more Win Shares than Kobe. During playoffs same PER and more winshares than Kobe.

This answer proves why you should watch games and not depend on advanced stats for anything really

Raps08-09 Champ
11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Dont mind Rap. If it isnt a thread about how much you can kiss Lebrons sack, then he wont take it serious. Im kind of surprised that a Lebron reference didnt come out as his answer

Lololol. Someone's hurt that I like to state facts and he can't do anything but accept the things I say even though they are correct.

Unless you can't read, I didn't take it seriously, which clearly foils your theories.

Try again.

Minimal
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
This answer proves why you should watch games and not depend on advanced stats for anything really
Why not? Advanced stats say a lot about the player.

You say advanced stats suck, but later Kobe fans say that he deserves to be an MVP, because he has a lot of win shares and is 4th in PER this year? Double standard much?

Raps08-09 Champ
11-30-2012, 05:10 PM

You say advanced stats suck, but later Kobe fans say that he deserves to be an MVP, because he has a lot of win shares and is 4th in PER this year? Double standard much?

Dont mind Nickdymez. He doesn't know anything. He didn't even know that his favourite player played Center.

Mr. LA
11-30-2012, 05:10 PM
c'mon maaaan .... I'd say Gasol was the 4th option before I'd say he was the 1st lol ... In fact... Gasol might have been the 3rd option ... he wasn't anywhere near the 1st option ... but who cares anyways

Kevj77
11-30-2012, 05:32 PM

I like PER, but in my opinion WS is extremely flawed and a worthless stat. Pau's WS significantly increased the second he got to play with Kobe. Did he get better overnight? No he got be be a second option in the triangle, which both suited him well. At the same time it slide Odom down to a third option/6th man, which suited him better.

Pau was the missing piece for LA, but he was the same player he was in Memphis before the trade just in a better situation.

nickdymez
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM

lol. It's becoming tiresome around here with some of you people and bringing up Kobe to me to try and win arguments. I think Kobe is an early MVP candidate this year and I have no clue what his advanced stats are. I actually also have no clue as to what his "Caveman stats" are either. I just watch every single Laker game. That's my point with my comment and why I think advanced stats are ruining most casual fans perception of the game rather than making it clearer like they would argue. If you were to watch most of these games, you would see that Kobe was and is the clear leader of the Lakers and that there was no "1b". Gasol was the clear number 2 option because he lacks heart and toughness. Some people do not think that is important, but I do. Gasol isnít leading a team to any wins in the playoffs at all as a number 1 option of any sort. He gets his and thatís fine. People who know me in real life will tell you that I'm hard on everybody on the lakers (Including Kobe). My girl was giving me **** the other night because I wanted to turn off the Pacers game because I knew Kobe was gonna run down and jack a 3 up no matter what. lol. Good thing she didn't let me. I get pissed at Kobe constantly. The reason it looks like I'm such a huge Kobe homer on this site is because this site terribly underrates the guy and I defend him.

nickdymez
11-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I like PER, but in my opinion WS is extremely flawed and a worthless stat. Pau's WS significantly increased the second he got to play with Kobe. Did he get better overnight? No he got be be a second option in the triangle, which both suited him well. At the same time it slide Odom down to a third option/6th man, which suited him better.

Pau was the missing piece for LA, but he was the same player he was in Memphis before the trade just in a better situation.

Pretty much this. No way Kobe was winning without Pau at all. But it was more a case of the pieces Kobe needed to win.

mamba24
11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced stats make luke walton look like an HOFer... they really only tell half the story. combine with actually watching the games they can be very useful. alone they can be very misleading

mamba24
11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
anyone else kinda sick of pau gasol threads? ever since he got traded for chris paul its been a new thread for him like everyday haha. the lakers need him. the only way he gets traded is if the lakers rape someone else for a lot of talent. thats usually what happens...

Raps08-09 Champ
11-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced stats make luke walton look like an HOFer... they really only tell half the story. combine with actually watching the games they can be very useful. alone they can be very misleading

No they don't.

Minimal
11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Luke Walton? Luke Walton had a PER of 2.2 last season and win shares of -0.5 (minus, not plus). HOF?

Minimal
11-30-2012, 07:00 PM
lol. It's becoming tiresome around here with some of you people and bringing up Kobe to me to try and win arguments. I think Kobe is an early MVP candidate this year and I have no clue what his advanced stats are. I actually also have no clue as to what his "Caveman stats" are either. I just watch every single Laker game. That's my point with my comment and why I think advanced stats are ruining most casual fans perception of the game rather than making it clearer like they would argue. If you were to watch most of these games, you would see that Kobe was and is the clear leader of the Lakers and that there was no "1b". Gasol was the clear number 2 option because he lacks heart and toughness. Some people do not think that is important, but I do. Gasol isnít leading a team to any wins in the playoffs at all as a number 1 option of any sort. He gets his and thatís fine. People who know me in real life will tell you that I'm hard on everybody on the lakers (Including Kobe). My girl was giving me **** the other night because I wanted to turn off the Pacers game because I knew Kobe was gonna run down and jack a 3 up no matter what. lol. Good thing she didn't let me. I get pissed at Kobe constantly. The reason it looks like I'm such a huge Kobe homer on this site is because this site terribly underrates the guy and I defend him.
I didn't watch too much Laker games that season, but I can remember the finals. Pau Gasol definetely looked like a mvp of the series for me. They were both really important to the team, no need to downgrade Gasol.