PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 players of all time based on talent

looka09
11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Sorry if this was asked before,but i was just curious to see what you guys think about this

Top 10 without counting championships,just talent wise

asandhu23
11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
1. Chamberlain
2. Jordan.
3. Bird.
4. Johnson.
5. Erving

TheJesus
11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Lebron is the most talented player in NBA history

Minimal
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Shaq
4. Wilt
5. Big O
6. Duncan
7. Kareem
8. Magic
9. Olajuwon
10. Larry Bird

knicks=love
11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
1. DMF
2. jmoney85
3. waveycrockett
4. SK
5. thejesus
6. chris duhon
7. eddy curry
8. darko millic
9. adam morrison
10. renaldo balkman

FraziersKnicks
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
1. LeBron James
2. Michael Jordan
3. Shaquille O'Neal

LeBron is the most talented player of all time, Jordan is the best player of all time, Shaq is the most dominant player of all time.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Get off his balls you call out Kobe fans but look at yourself

Alayla
11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
And thats How it should be talent over rings when judging players
1. Jordan
2. Wilt
3. Magic
4. Bird
5. The Big 0
6. Malone
7. LBJ
8. West
9. Iverson (Yes i just went there)
10. Kobe

Know knowing im going to get a Hailstorm of Hate and Questions as to why i put Iverson in the top ten of anything but people who dont Pratice let me try to explain my reasoning

- 6th in scoring average
- 18th in scoring
- 37th in assist (yes you read that right and as a shooting guard no less)
- 2001 MVP
- Made the finals and won 1 game agiesnt a lakers team that HAD NOT LOST IN THE PLAYOFFS ONCE! Prior to those finals!
-3rd in playoff scoring average behind only Jordan and Wilt
-12th alltime in steals
- 4 time nba scoring Champion
- 3 time NBA steals champ (back to back to back)
- 11 time NBA allstar
- ROY
- holds the Sixers all-time rookie records for scoring, assists and steals.
-Became first rookie in league history to score 40+ points in five straight games
-Allstar game MVP
-Most steals in an NBA playoff game @ 10
-Once held the NBA single game rookie scoring record. until Jennings dropped 55 lol
-Did all this and much more and as a 6 nothing shooting guard!

I prolibly did a injustice to a few players by putting Iverson in the Top ten but this guy is CRIMINALLY underrated to the point where it just isn't fair. All because he isn't an NBA champion and because he had a bit of an attitude early in his career
He has to be the most disrespected player to ever play the game
and thats not just because im a sixers fan.

Also i would like to add that my list isnt strickly of talent alone in a traditional sense but both talent and skill.

Avenged
11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
1. Wilt
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Kobe
5. Shaq
6. West
7. Baylor
8. Worthy
9. Wilkes
10. Goodrich

Alayla
11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
1. LeBron James
2. Michael Jordan
3. Shaquille O'Neal

LeBron is the most talented player of all time, Jordan is the best player of all time, Shaq is the most dominant player of all time.

Wilt Chamberlain says hi

Alayla
11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
1. Wilt
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Kobe
5. Shaq
6. West
7. Baylor
8. Worthy
9. Wilkes
10. Goodrich

Tell me .... WHERE IS MICHAEL JORDAN?

Minimal
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Wilt Chamberlain says hi
I don't think he would be saying hi if he played in Shaqs era. Wilt was dominant, but he was dominant amongst "midgets".

TheJesus
11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Get off his balls you call out Kobe fans but look at yourself

Someone is jealous.

LA_Raiders
11-29-2012, 10:27 PM
1-Kobe
2-MJ
3-Magic
4-Kareem
5-Wilt
6-Shaq
7-Malone
8-West
9-Lebroom
10-AI

RonE Coleman
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't see lebron as a top ten "talent". He is just a physical freak who is impossible to stop when he drives because of how big and fast he is. Not hating on him right now I just wouldn't consider that "talent".

I guess it really depends on how you define "talent".

bucketss
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
i think talent means natural ability something you were born with, things like size,speed,ath. are talents

bucketss
11-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't see lebron as a top ten "talent". He is just a physical freak who is impossible to stop when he drives because of how big and fast he is. Not hating on him right now I just wouldn't consider that "talent".

I guess it really depends on how you define "talent".

being a physical freak is a talent no? i think talent and skill are different here.

Alayla
11-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't think he would be saying hi if he played in Shaqs era. Wilt was dominant, but he was dominant amongst "midgets".

I dont care who he was dominate agiesnt u cant fault a player for the Era they played in Wilt>Shaq fact

Alayla
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
1-kobe
2-mj
3-magic
4-kareem
5-wilt
6-shaq
7-malone
8-west
9-lebroom
10-ai

+1

C-Style
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM

nut hugger

Minimal
11-29-2012, 10:49 PM
i think talent means natural ability something you were born with, things like size,speed,ath. are talents
lol talent is made, not born. We are all the same when we are born, except for the fact that some people are taller, have longer arms and stuff like that, but thats not talent. The ones who work hard, become talented.

asandhu23
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM

oh for ****'s sake..

Two of the NBA's greatest players, Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain, are often criticized for playing in a "weak" era. This is far from the truth, as the 1960s were a very good time for basketball. A much smaller league meant more competition for fewer spots. The fact that only the 121 best basketball players in the world could play in the NBA condensed the talent pool to nine teams. In the modern NBA, over half of the teams don't even have one all star player, nevertheless hall of famers. Examining the teams in the mid 1960s, all nine of them had Hall of Fame talents:

Boston Celtics: Bill Russel, John Havlicek, Sam Jones, Tommy Heinsolm
Cincinnati Royals: Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas
Philadelphia 76ers: Hal Greer
New York Knicks: Willis Reed
San Francisco Warriors: Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond
St. Louis Hawks: Bob Pettit
Los Angeles Lakers: Jerry West, Elgin Baylor
Detroit Pistons: David Bing, Dave Debusschere
Baltimore Bullets: Walt Bellamy

Russel and Chamberlain faced various legends on a nightly basis, yet still were known as the best players of their generation. Throughout the decade, the two were subject to strong competition Some of the great players Russel and Chamberlain faced included:

1960-1964:

Dolph Schayes
Bob Pettit
Walt Bellamy
Jerry Lucas

1965-1968:

Willis Reed
Elvin Hayes
Wes Unseld
Nate Thurmond

1969-1972:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Bob Lanier
Artis Gilmore
Billy Cunningham
Dave Cowens

One reason fans tend to lash out at these legends is the absurd stats of not only Russel and Chamberlain, but average players as well, as it was not uncommon for a player to average 15-20 rebounds per game. There are several reasons for the high rebound rates of these players:

a. A high tempo offense. The average team in 1965 shot about 600 more shots than a team in 1985 and about 1400 more shots than a team in 2005.

b. Less fouls called. In 1965, the average team had 2076 personal fouls per season. In 2005, 1856 personal fouls were called. But keep in mind that 1400 more shots were attempted, yet only 200 less fouls called. The result, a lowing field goal percentage, and more shots allowed to be rebounded.

When adjusting the field goal percentage to 45% and reducing the shots taken to the normal rate today, the rebounding rate drops to a more familiar rate for most players. Elgin Baylor would dropped to around 9 boards a game and Nate Thurmond to around 12. However, both Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain, even with the adjusted stats, still averaged between 16-20 rebounds per game, showing that they truly did dominate like few others.

Another common misperception is that Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain played against only 6'6" white centers. That is completely false. Here are the NBA players from 1960-1972 6'11" or taller who played at least 3 years in the NBA: (list does not include Wilt Chamberlain)

Kareem Abdul Jabbar: 7'2"
Dennis Awtrey: 6'11"
Walt Bellamy: 6'11"
Tom Boerwinkle: 7'0"
Nate Bowmen: 6'11"
Mel Counts: 7'0"
Walter Dukes: 7'0"
Jim Eakins: 6'11"
Ray Felix: 6'11"
Hank Finkel: 7'0"
Artis Gilmore: 7'2"
Swede Halbrook: 7'3"
Reggie Harding: 7'0"
Bob Lanier: 6'11"
Jim McDaniels: 6'11"
Otto Moore: 6'11"
Dave Newmark: 7'0"
Rich Niemann: 7'0"
Billy Paultz: 6'11"
Craig Raymond: 6'11"
Elmore Smith: 7'0"
Chuck Share: 6'11"
Ronald Taylor: 7'1"
Nate Thurmond: 6'11"
Walt Wesley: 6'11"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100224214633AAvvebd

bucketss
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
lol talent is made, not born. We are all the same when we are born, except for the fact that some people are taller, have longer arms and stuff like that, but thats not talent. The ones who work hard, become talented.

than what is skill???

Minimal
11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
than what is skill???
Its the same thing.
Talent - Natural aptitude or skill.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+talent

Money_23
11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Its the same thing.
Talent - Natural aptitude or skill.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+talent

talent - something you were inherently born with. Doesn't mean you don't need to put any effort into it, it just means it takes alot less effort for the talented than it does for a regular person.
skill - something you acquire through practice, observation and work.

there's a saying: work beats talent when talent doesn't do work.
But these two things are something that are very hard to actually measure or quantify because almost everything involves both at the same time.

perhaps this is why MJ is the greatest ever. He had the best combination of talent and skill. Or maybe he had just a little talent and ALOT of skill? Or maybe he had ALOT of talent and some skill? who knows.

pedrofan45
11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Lebron, Jordan, Shaq in that order.

Imagine if they all played together. :o

Minimal
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
talent - something you were inherently born with. Doesn't mean you don't need to put any effort into it, it just means it takes alot less effort for the talented than it does for a regular person.
skill - something you acquire through practice, observation and work.

there's a saying: work beats talent when talent doesn't do work.
But these two things are something that are very hard to actually measure or quantify because almost everything involves both at the same time.

perhaps this is why MJ is the greatest ever. He had the best combination of talent and skill. Or maybe he had just a little talent and ALOT of skill? Or maybe he had ALOT of talent and some skill? who knows.
IMO Talent=Skill. Its something that is made, not born. We all are the same when we are born. We develop our skills to do something and to do it effectively. The ones who work hard and develop their skills better than the others, become successful. The only thing we get when we are born is genes, which gives us different physical appereance: height, arm length, hair color, your body type (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph) etc. This is not talent. There is no talent of being a freakishly tall. Players develop their muscles, they develop their skills, they practice their jumpshots, they eat the right food and get the needed nutrition to maintain their athletecism. The ones who do it the best, become the best.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-30-2012, 11:32 AM
lol jordan had talent, but his talent wasnt the reason he is the best, it was his skill.

talent got him first round exits.

lebron's talent got him to the finals.

so
1.LeBron
2.Jordan
3.Shaq
4.Wade (f off)
5. dont care.

BklynKnicks3
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Kobe
4. Wilt
5. Penny hardaway
6. hakeem
7. Shaq
8. T mac
9. Vince
10. Durant

Money_23
11-30-2012, 11:43 AM
IMO Talent=Skill. Its something that is made, not born. We all are the same when we are born. We develop our skills to do something and to do it effectively. The ones who work hard and develop their skills better than the others, become successful. The only thing we get when we are born is genes, which gives us different physical appereance: height, arm length, hair color, your body type (ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph) etc. This is not talent. There is no talent of being a freakishly tall. Players develop their muscles, they develop their skills, they practice their jumpshots, they eat the right food and get the needed nutrition to maintain their athletecism. The ones who do it the best, become the best.

so, for example, you think building muscle has nothing to do with your genetics aka talent?

I think the two terms are used so interchangeably nowadays that people just automatically think they are referring to the same thing.
But the pure definition of talent and of skill are very different.

But in the end of it all, this judging a player's talent is just as complicated as ranking players on the all time list because they can be subjective at times and people have differing opinions. In a way it's even more complicated because you can't quantify talent or skill. You can only assess what you see.

BklynKnicks3
11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
when i think talent i think things u cant practice just born with

Gram
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
1. DMF
2. jmoney85
3. waveycrockett
4. SK
5. thejesus
6. chris duhon
7. eddy curry
8. darko millic
9. adam morrison
10. renaldo balkman

Forgot to add BklynKnicks3.

In before BklynKnicks3 puts Melo at number one.

Gram
11-30-2012, 11:49 AM

When I think talent I don't think of your posts.

Gram
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Kobe
4. Wilt
5. Penny hardaway
6. hakeem
7. Shaq
8. T mac
9. Vince
10. Durant

Wow! He didn't even add Melo! Probably so I'd leave him alone. :facepalm:

bucketss
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

+1

BklynKnicks3
11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Wow! He didn't even add Melo! Probably so I'd leave him alone. :facepalm:

I dont think Melo is a amazing talent. I think his skill level is amazing. Facts are melo is alittle better then avg athlete paul peirce level, but he can beat u so many diffrent ways something ive never seen before Never see guys with that strength and shooting ability who can handle the ball and score from anywhere on the court.

bucketss
11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
6'8 that moves like melo i don't call that an average athlete lol

DreamShaker
11-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Dwight Howard is pretty ridiculously gifted. So are some guys in the NBA now who aren't stars: Anthony Randolph, Gerald Green, McGee. The drive to be great is what seperates gifted players and talented players.

BklynKnicks3
11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
6'8 that moves like melo i don't call that an average athlete lol

He is not that fast just has a million tools on offense when u defend some1 like that its pick ur poison. He looks fast because u have to honor his jumper its easy to go around people that way. Melo is mostly all skill.

the avenger
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
In no particular order:

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Magic Johnson
LeBron James
Larry Bird
Charles Barkley
Jerry West
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Hakeem Olajuwon
Wilt Chamberlain

b@llhog24
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Bird is the least talented all time great, that's for sure.

RonE Coleman
11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
This thread is just relative to what you perceive talent to be. Talent for me is skills and technique.

Guys like Lebron are obviously talented but his game is really based on Freak athleticism not "talent".

I guess its all on how you interpret what talent is.

Chronz
11-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Bird is the least talented all time great, that's for sure.

I guess hand eye coordination and spatial awareness is a skill in your book?

What about Stockton? He wasn't 6"10

b@llhog24
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I guess hand eye coordination and spatial awareness is a skill in your book?

What about Stockton? He wasn't 6"10

I consider hand to eye coordination a skill. And I've never thought of Stockton "talented." As for Bird which one of these players do you consider him more talented than?

MJ
Wilt
KAJ
Hakeem
Magic
Shaq
Kobe
Drob
Barkley
Moses

Guess you can throw in KG, DRJ, Wade, Oscar and West in as well.

Alayla
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
1. Lebron
2. Jordan
3. Kobe
4. Wilt
5. Penny hardaway
6. hakeem
7. Shaq
8. T mac
9. Vince
10. Durant

Good list acutally T mac penny and vince would all make my top 15 but didnt make my top ten

Alayla
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
oh for ****'s sake..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100224214633aavvebd

+1

BKdoubleStacker
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM

no, those are skills. You can work hard and be a great shooter, rebounder, or defender. Natural talent is what limits the skill set an athlete has. You cannot change genetics (talent).

Genetics are synonymous with talent. Physical attributes ARE talent, but theres more to it than that. Some people will never be able to run a 4.3 40 yard dash, just as some people will never be able to jump 40 inches no matter how hard they train. You think lebron james is the best player because he works harder than everyone else?

eugene
11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Jordan
Iverson
Bird
Magic
Oscar
Stockton
Olajuwon
West
Pippen
Lebron

ThuglifeJ
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I dont understand people's thoughts at all.

How on earth is LEBRON the MOST TALENTED player of all time? Not even hating AT ALL he is not the most talented player of all time I wouldn't have him touching the top 10. Were talking TALENT. Lebron is the greatest player today and will go down one of the best, but he's not even close to as TALENTED as guys like Jordan, Iverson, Dr. J, McGrady, Kobe..

I guess it depends on your definition of talent..

oh and to the guy "your not born with skills" that is absolute garbage. You can't run from your genetics and natural gifts, sure you can capitalize on your potential or not but it's from within sorry bud. Some ppl are born with more creativity than others, more ability to grow, height, etc. Yes Heights not a "talent" but creativity sure is when it comes to basketball.

Money_23
11-30-2012, 05:46 PM

How on earth is LEBRON the MOST TALENTED player of all time? Not even hating AT ALL he is not the most talented player of all time I wouldn't have him touching the top 10. Were talking TALENT. Lebron is the greatest player today and will go down one of the best, but he's not even close to as TALENTED as guys like Jordan, Iverson, Dr. J, McGrady, Kobe..

oh and to the guy "your not born with skills" that is absolute garbage. You can't run from your genetics and natural gifts, sure you can capitalize on your potential or not but it's from within sorry bud. Some ppl are born with more creativity than others, more ability to grow, height, etc. Yes Heights not a "talent" but creativity sure is when it comes to basketball.

those are very important key words. Nice one. Some players were born more talented than others, but they didn't put forth enough work to bring out the beast within. ;)

sammyvine
11-30-2012, 07:10 PM

This

I think Lebron is probably the greatest athlete ever in basketball but i don't think he is the most talented

i would say MJ, T-MAC, Wilt, Iverson were all more talented.

mightybosstone
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Any list without Hakeem Olajuwon is a joke. The dude had never played a game of basketball in his life until he was 16 or 17 years old. He had played soccer and handball in Nigeria, but never baskeball. He got discovered, was immediately one of the most dominant players in college basketball and then immediately became one of the best players in the NBA. In five or six years, Dream went from never having played the game to an NBA superstar. That's ridiculous talent and deserves its just due.