PDA

View Full Version : David Stern To Issue Sanctions/Fines On Spurs For Lineup Switch; $250k fine

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Punk
11-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Just announced on Inside the NBA. Stern is pissed about the Pop lineup change. Wow.

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Was just about to make this thread. This league is a freaking joke lol

Bruno
11-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Pop should be able to do whats best for his team. stern shouldnt be allowed to dish out fines just because he gets angry phone calls from advertisers who paid big bucks for the Heat/Spurs game.

this is professional sports, there are risks and there are no sure things- that goes for everyone involved, in any capacity.

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Just cause its a nationally televised game. Theres no rule against resting players. Spurs can do whatever the hell they want

Avenged
I hope the tickets for the game were cheaper because of this.. which I doubt since it was last minute, right? In that case, good. I'd be pretty pissed if I was attending the game.

Six-8-TheWizard
Pop should be able to do whats best for his team. stern shouldnt be allowed to dish out fines just because he gets angry phone calls from advertisers who paid big bucks for the Heat/Spurs game.

this is professional sports, there are risks and there are no sure things- that goes for everyone involved, in any capacity.

Exactly. Its just plain corruption for him to do that

Minimal
11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Thats a really good thing. I mean people paid a lot of money to see their favourite players and this is what they get? This makes a bad reputation on the league and Stern himself.

LakersMaster24
11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
:pity:

Bruno
11-29-2012, 09:13 PM
entitlement is a funny thing.

kdspurman
Put this in the GT but Stern is a clown. Teams do this at the end of the year too after a playoff seed has been wrapped up, I want to see what he does then. Just cause it's a nationally televised game. Had they rested them last night, he'd have no issue. He can't have it both ways, it's Pop's team to do what he wants. His job is to put his team in position to win in the big picture, not bring in ratings.

Also, guess it means more Joey Crawford for Spurs playoff games.

Sandman
Out of left field, very interesting call from Pop.

That said, Stern angrily wagging his finger saying "YOU CANT DO THAT" is more ridiculous.

Punk
I don't know why Pop didn't rest his guys against Orlando and get them rested for tonight. That would make more sense.

mjt20mik
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I hope the tickets for the game were cheaper because of this.. which I doubt since it was last minute, right? In that case, good. I'd be pretty pissed if I was attending the game.

This. If you are paying a lot of money to watch two good teams play, you should be able to see every player play. Fans are paying for the players and coaches.

Baller1
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
So close to Stern retiring... Yet so far.

jmoney85
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Its the first month of the season... I would be worried if you really had to rest 3/5 starters in the first month

BigBlueCrew
11-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Out of left field, very interesting call from Pop.

That said, Stern angrily wagging his finger saying "YOU CANT DO THAT" is more ridiculous.

this....cant wait this guy retires. I would say dont let the door hit you on the way out, but I really dont give a **** if it does.

kdspurman
11-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't know why Pop didn't rest his guys against Orlando and get them rested for tonight. That would make more sense.

Wants 2 nights off for his guys I guess they play Memphis his Saturday

Greet
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Genius move by Pop in my opinion. League just angry.

bucketss
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
they're there to entertain us why don't they rest the starters against the wizards or something this is a total disrespect to the fans.

lvlheaded
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Pop is doing what he feels is best for his team. I have no problem with him sending his players home. He already has two very important players banged up and they have played a very grueling early schedule. Why risk making it worse if he doesnt want to?

That said, I have a real big problem with Stern fining the team for it. The Spurs or any team for that matter are not required to play the guys Stern wants them too. What if he didnt send them home and just sat them on the bench and gave them all a DNP, would Stern still fine them? Stern has some type of complex that he feels he has to control everything and frankly im sick of it.

Good for Pop

xxplayerxx23
11-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Stern :pity: What a joke, he can do what he wants he is the ****ing coach.

Davidgta1
11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I could see why he did it if the fans *****ed about it.. but what the hell?

LA_Raiders
11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
lol, Stern losing $$$

Pop is an ******* too... I was going to watch the game, insted ill watch history channel

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
they're there to entertain us why don't they rest the starters against the wizards or something this is a total disrespect to the fans.

Why do Wizards fans deserve less entertainment than heat fans?

TheJesus
11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Stern isn't imposing anything. He can talk all he wants but he has no grounds. Pop can just say that his guys needed rest because of injuries. And the players and medical staff will corroborate.

Even if he didn't say that. He can rest who he wants, when he wants, how he wants.

lvlheaded
11-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Why do Wizards fans deserve less entertainment than heat fans?

Because the Heat and their fans are God's gift to basketball, didnt you know? :rolleyes:

Only kidding Heat fans

Six-8-TheWizard
Stern isn't imposing anything. He can talk all he wants but he has no grounds. Pop can just say that his guys needed rest because of injuries. And the players and medical staff will corroborate.

Even if he didn't say that. He can rest who he wants, when he wants, how he wants.

This. The spurs made a good long term basketball decision for their franchise. You can't just punish them because advertisers are disappointed.

tredigs

This is the fairly legit counter point here. But for everyone else (which is 99%), **** 'em. Stern should know better at this point then to approve a schedule on Pop with this aging team against the best in the league on the tail end of a long road trip + a back to back and expect anything else. He has been doing this for years.

And these are Heat fans anyway, who cares? They were gifted Lebron and Bosh and now Ray Allen and co. to accompany Wade, that's entertainment enough.

Stern and the schedule makers should fine himself for being an idiot and approving the schedule with this game on it knowing what the outcome would be (Pop sitting them). Honestly I wouldn't put it past Stern a bit to setting this all up as a power play on Pop.

lvlheaded

Stern will cite basketball reasons for the sanctions

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Because the Heat and their fans are God's gift to basketball, didnt you know? :rolleyes:

Only kidding Heat fans

Lol

Honestly the only ones that have a right to be pissed off about this are the fans actually going to the game, but San Antonio DGAF about Heat fans and most heat fans are not very passionate anyway so I dont have much sympathy for them

Longhornfan1234
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Lol, the hate for David Stern is laughable. He's the greatest sports commissioner of all-time.

Giraffes Rule
11-29-2012, 09:32 PM
So what happens if Stern fines them and the Spurs refuse to pay? Can that happen?

Korman12
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Woowww.

Usually I'm not on the hate Stern bandwagon that so many people continue to ride, and I would be pretty pissed if I was going to that game tonight, but COME ON.

This is goddamn ridiculous.

Minimal
11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Some of you don't understand that first of all its a business. If not us, regular people, fans. There would be no league, there would be no profit, there would be no NBA players, coaches and teams, players wouldn't be getting their money. Players work for us, we pay them. And players need to do their job.

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Some of you don't understand that first of all its a business. If not us, regular people, fans. There would be no league, there would be no profit, there would be no NBA players, coaches and teams, players wouldn't be getting their money. Players work for us, we pay them. And players need to do their job.

You could argue though that if the Spurs best players are all like 35 and they are playing the end of 6 games in 10 days it would be a good business idea for the spurs to protect their greatest assets long term (by getting them adequate rest)

Giraffes Rule

You don't honestly think this is about the fans, do you?

Korman12

Oh I completely understand that, and I think the vast majority of us do. If he rested the stars 1/3 of the year just to squeak in as an 8th seed then throw his rested stars back in the playoffs, then there's something to bring up. But not this.

torocan
11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
As a basketball fan I'm not a fan of Pops sitting most of his starters, However, I fully support his right to do it.

It may cost Stern bucks, and it may not be good for NBA ratings, but I think Pops has been around long enough for me to trust that he's doing it because he thinks it's the best decision for his team.

Pops has one heck of a track record as a Coach and should be free to do his job as he sees fit.

He thinks beating a division rival to give the best shot at Home Court advantage means more than a win against the Heat. I'm not really going to argue that point.

Stern should get out of Pops' rubarb.

Gagan136
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
What a ****ing joke, a coach should be able to put out which ever lineup he wants.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Spurs do this all the time. Stern is just butt hurt. 4 away games in 5 nights on the 2nd night of a back to back with Memphis up next. **** you Stern!!!

Six-8-TheWizard
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Spurs do this all the time. Stern is just butt hurt. 4 away games in 5 nights on the 2nd night of a back to back with Memphis up next. **** you Stern!!!

Agree. Stern made the Schedule like that and he knows Pop has a history of doing this. He could have anticipated the possibility of this happening.

Duncan = Donkey
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
ridiclious

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Like the one dude said he should have rested them against my magic last night since it was a low key game anyways ....

tredigs
11-29-2012, 09:44 PM

And Miami hasn't played one game in that entire span. 5 days. There's a reason why the Spurs win 50 games every year, and it has something to do with resting your talent in games that are set up for you to lose.

Like the one dude said he should have rested them against my magic last night since it was a low key game anyways ....

That would have been dumb. Easy win, they only had to play their stars 20-30 minutes.

WVNowitzki
11-29-2012, 09:44 PM
This is unbelievable. Spurs / Popovich are doing NOTHING wrong. Shows you really what everything boils down to in life, this just puts it on front street. **** you Stern

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
11-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Six8thewizard your sig is fing awesome

NYtilIdie
11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
This. If you are paying a lot of money to watch two good teams play, you should be able to see every player play. Fans are paying for the players and coaches.

You say that as if Lebron and Wade aren't enough, get over it.

tr4shb0t
11-29-2012, 09:49 PM
good move. the heat could play a high school girls team and the refs would still keep it close for ratings. it's the nba...

oballers
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
The fine makes perfect sense. It'll be levied as a statement to discourage teams from resting ALL their marquis players on the same night of marquis matchups with TOP teams on national television.

If this happens once its honestly too much. Stern will have to answer to the networks, the advertisers and to the fans and explain away why 2 of the best teams in the league will not have their best players matching up on national tv.

Pop could have rested Duncan yesterday, Green today, Ginobili the next game and Parker before Duncan. Instead he sits all 4 of them. Better yet. He sends them home!

Just imagine if this happened again when the Lakers play OKC and then when NYC plays BOS etc.... you would seriously see some pissed off networks, advertisors and fans to the point where damage would be hard to repair.

The fine therefore makes sense and should be fair warning that coaches need to be more judicious and better at planning their players off days.

IndiansFan337
11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
This is nonsense and the team should fight it. Why can teams bench stars in the final 1-2 weeks of the season as they prepare for the playoffs, but not at this point in the season? There's no way this should hold up if they fight it.

Tayzak15
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
The fine makes perfect sense. It'll be levied as a statement to discourage teams from resting ALL their marquis players on the same night of marquis matchups with TOP teams on national television.

If this happens once its honestly too much. Stern will have to answer to the networks, the advertisors and to the fans and explain away why 2 of the best teams in the league will not have their best players matching up on national television.

Pop could have rested Duncan yesterday, Green today, Ginobili the next game and Parker before Duncan. Instead he sits all 4 of them. Better yet. He sends them home!

Just imagine if this happened again when the lakers play the OKC and NYC plays BOS etc.... then you would seriously see some pissed off networks, advertisors and fans to the point where damage would be hard to repair.

The fine therefore makes sense and should be fair warning that coaches need to be more judicious and better at planning their players off days.

This is the NBA's own fault for making the schedule like that..plain and simple. When your put in a game that your setup to lose. You rest your players.

rickshaw
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM

And coaches are paid to win championships. If resting players early in the season helps that then he should. Fans know certain players could be out when they buy the tickets.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM

If this happens once its honestly too much. Stern will have to answer to the networks, the advertisers and to the fans and explain away why 2 of the best teams in the league will not have their best players matching up on national television.

Just imagine if this happened again when the lakers play the OKC and NYC plays BOS etc.... then you would seriously see some pissed off networks, advertisors and fans to the point where damage would be hard to repair.

:facepalm: Spurs wouldnt have sat their starters if Stern didnt consistently make a ****** schedule. Nationally televised game after playing 4 away games on the 2nd night of a b2b. Meanwhile Miami didnt play once in that span. Stern ****ed himself.

oballers
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
This is the NBA's own fault for making the schedule like that..plain and simple. When your put in a game that your setup to lose. You rest your players.

Who says they can't win that game? What's their record again?

unwantedplayer
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
**** you stern

God forbid a coach tries to perserve the health of his players.

The goods
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Imagine going to your favorite teams game and your top 4 guys aren't playing because its the coaches decision, not only that but you have to watch them lose.... Yeah I'd be pissed, but with that being said theirs no rule against him doing it so Pop shouldn't be fined.

oballers
11-29-2012, 09:59 PM
:facepalm: Spurs wouldnt have sat their starters if Stern didnt consistently make a ****** schedule. Nationally televised game after playing 4 away games on the 2nd night of a b2b. Meanwhile Miami didnt play once in that span. Stern ****ed himself.

OK schedule sucked but. Once again Pop could have rested all 4 yesterday or split their time.

He is making a point and Stern is making a point back.

Stuckey#3
11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Why issue fines when he can just punish the spurs in the playoffs? Like he did the Thunder in last years Finals. This guy is a frigging joke... We should start a countdown to Sterns retirement thread.

Tayzak15
11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Who says they can't win that game? What's their record again?

The heat haven't played since saturday, the spurs have played 4 road games in the past 5 days. Logically Pop decided to sit his starters in what in the end is a meaningless out of conference game so they can have 2 days rest for when they play their conference opponent Memphis on saturday.

Stuckey#3
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
**** you stern

God forbid a coach tries to perserve the health of his players.

Exactly. In light of last years injuries do to a condensed schedule and lack of recovery time. Resting players should be a top priority. **** stern and his cronies.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Stern makes the schedules?

ManRam
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm generally pro-Stern (partially because idiots blame him for everything, including things that aren't his fault...as already exhibited in this thread), and I see where he's coming from here...

But I think this is ludicrous of him to do.

SlimKid
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Not saying its going to happen, but I hope the Spurs win just to prove to Stern that he's overreacting by threatening sanctions. So far, they're competing..

Greedy22
11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
This is ridiculous, last I checked the Spurs pay these players and it's their right to rest their star players when they feel necessary. I can see why and understand fans will be pissed, but Stern is completely out of line.

oballers
The heat haven't played since saturday, the spurs have played 4 road games in the past 5 days. Logically Pop decided to sit his starters in what in the end is a meaningless out of conference game so they can have 2 days rest for when they play their conference opponent Memphis on saturday.

They could've sat 3 days straight against ORL, WAS, and TOR and still won all those games or they could've each played 15 min in those games and won.

BTW, REALLLY???? Resting Danny Green????? The guy is 25 yrs old. He avg 30 misn a game. He played 17 min vs WAS. So he played 32 min yesterday...

The dude is 25. I can name 50 - 100 players who didn't sit a single game when they were 25.

Pop is being a d**k plain and simple. And the reprocussions for those who pay money to see these teams and for the advertisors are huge.

Due you know how much fans pay for premium matchups???? Ticket prices go through the roof when Miami, San Antonio, OKC and LA come to town.

This isn't a game. These are sports franchises money is changing hands. You have to be sensitive of these issues and plan accordingly. Plain and simple.

****** P*P. BTW making schedules is not in D. Stern's job description.

Tayzak15
Stern probly put a bet on Spurs +6 before the announcement came out now hes butthurt lol

whitemamba33
I don't agree with fining because, to my knowledge, there were no previous rules put into place preventing this...but it's still a questionable move on Pop's part. As much as this is a game, it's still a business. Without the fans the NBA doesn't exist. You aren't paid just to do your job. There are media appearances, interviews, etc. It's a slap in the face to the fans, regardless of whether or not Pop is actually allowed to do such a thing.

Considering that people paid HUGE money to see these games, and it was to be broadcasted nationally, I'm in agreeance that perhaps there should be some restrictions on things like this.

If every coach did this, what would our league be like?

papipapsmanny
11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
wow what an idiot, but everyone knew that about stern a long time ago.

The coach is always going to act in the best interest of the team or he will be fired. NBAPA should fight the crap out of any such punishments for there own well-being

Mell413
11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't agree with this at all. Pop obviously knows whats best for his team. He should get the benefit of the doubt here. Stern is getting involved in something he shouldn't be involved in

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Also keep in mind, Stern is the one that has to answer to the networks about this. If we want nationally televised games, we can't have this become a trend.

I know i'm no longer watching this game on television. I can't imagine what the ratings hit is going to be.

Minimal
11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
This is ridiculous, last I checked the Spurs pay these players and it's their right to rest their star players when they feel necessary. I can see why and understand fans will be pissed, but Stern is completely out of line.
And who pays the Spurs??? Who assigns teams payroll? There is a reason LA has the biggest payroll

Guppyfighter
11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
You think Heat fans are actually upset about other players on the other team not playing? Like when the announcers last year said the Hawks fan must have been disappointed with Wade and Lebron being out with injuries.

Are you ****ing kidding me? They were happy, just like Heat fans are now.

LAKobeBryant
11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
stern is all about money. tv ratings drop if scrubs play and fans won't buy tickets to watch scrubs play.

Quinnsanity
11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Just wanna point out that Miami's only up 3 at halftime. Still been a good game. Stern can go **** himself.

TheJesus
11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Stern makes the schedules?

He approves it.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
You think Heat fans are actually upset about other players on the other team not playing? Like when the announcers last year said the Hawks fan must have been disappointed with Wade and Lebron being out with injuries.

I'm not buying that. If I drop big money on seats for a game, I want a great game. If my team blows out an elite team without any of it's star players, I'm not going home with a great story to tell.

TheNumber37
11-29-2012, 10:27 PM
wow. could he have just said they all had food poisoning?

TheJesus
Stern is looking for a lawsuit

Guppyfighter
At least we can now get lied to by teams and they can say they are injuries. This fixes nothing. Nothing has been done.

Minimal

Its not all about fans in arena. Even here you are wrong anyway. People don't buy really expensive tickets to watch Wizadrs-Heat game, they pay to watch Spurs-Heat.
Heres another comment from this forum after Pops announcement:

I was excited for this game, but now it looks like its on to football.
Think a bit deeper.

305 till I die
11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I think it was genius strategy by pop to rest his starters tonight and not against the magic. There is an easier chance to beat the magic than the heat, he measured his odds.

gaughan333
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
The nba has become a bigger joke than the wwf(wwe)

DR_1
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Well said. How Stern has this job when he pulls crap like this is a joke.

TheJesus
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
February 9, 2009 Parker, Ginobli, Duncan all rested. No fines imposed.

gaughan333
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
When did stern get the ability to second guess coaches?

papipapsmanny
11-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Under almost every ethical framework, Stern punishing them for this, is completely unethical

gaughan333
11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
They're all 100...they need rest

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
He approves it.

Here's an idea. Why don't you show me that you can do a better job? You plan out 82 games for each NBA team, account for competitive balance, arena availability, mandatory and division conference play, and keep all of it under a specified travel cost.

You do that, and we'll see if we can find a few instances in your proposed schedule where one particular team has a tough stretch of games.

Now you are blaming Stern for not completly rearranging this schedule once it's done and submitted to him?

Sorry, I'm not interested in what you have to say anymore.

Guppyfighter
11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Its not all about fans in arena. Even here you are wrong anyway. People don't buy really expensive tickets to watch Wizadrs-Heat game, they pay to watch Spurs-Heat.
Heres another comment from this forum after Pops announcement:

Think a bit deeper.

Back to basketball for him.

mzgrizz
11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I think it's sad when the team is so tired this early in the season that he pulls his best ( and oldest??) players. Hey! He can rest them against the Grizzlies too. Soooooo. Ok. You go Pops !

dtmagnet
11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I can see the logic from both sides, however he should not fine the Spurs he needs to find another way to discourage that.

WVNowitzki
11-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Hmm...nearly going into the 4th and the Spurs are winning, can you fine the Spurs if they WIN this game???

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
11-29-2012, 10:53 PM
I see both sides to this but since I'm a NBA fan I'm taking the side of a fan... all the people in here saying how ridiculous stern is well would u feel that way had you paid full price to see your team? Or gone to your teams game and the team there playing bench all the star you paid to see your team compete with?

Noway you would be pist if you were that fan that paid 50+ to see a good game on tnt and got to see back ups on one side the whole game ... it just makes no sense when they could have done this last night against Orlando and prob still won last night

Guppyfighter
11-29-2012, 10:53 PM
I think it's sad when the team is so tired this early in the season that he pulls his best ( and oldest??) players. Hey! He can rest them against the Grizzlies too. Soooooo. Ok. You go Pops !

three games, four nights.

He is resting for the Grizzlies.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
The nba has become a bigger joke than the wwf(wwe)

Interesting, because the WWE has offered refunds in the past when their talent was unable to appear at live shows.

Regardless, I think a league where teams skip big matchups until the playoffs, where national networks refuse to show games throughout the regular season, and the cash flow is severly cut would be even more of a joke. It's not a reality now, but it's Stern's job to make sure it doesn't happen.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Hmm...nearly going into the 4th and the Spurs are winning, can you fine the Spurs if they WIN this game???

The result isn't the issue. Far from it.

Giraffes Rule
11-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I see both sides to this but since I'm a NBA fan I'm taking the side of a fan... all the people in here saying how ridiculous stern is well would u feel that way had you paid full price to see your team? Or gone to your teams game and the team there playing bench all the star you paid to see your team compete with?

Noway you would be pist if you were that fan that paid 50+ to see a good game on tnt and got to see back ups on one side the whole game ... it just makes no sense when they could have done this last night against Orlando and prob still won last night

That doesn't make them more rested for Saturday against the Grizzlies. This puts them in the best position to win 2 of 3, one of which being against their only competition for the division.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
I can see the logic from both sides, however he should not fine the Spurs he needs to find another way to discourage that .

Can you think of one? Because I can't.

-Take away home court advantage in the playoffs? That would be far worse.
-Take away Pop's seat so he has to stand all game? He's always in the ref's face anyways.
-Cut off the Gatorade supply? Come on now.

Money is all there is.

WVNowitzki
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
The result isn't the issue. Far from it.

I don't care about the result, as I commented earlier. You can't fine a coach for coaching his team and playing the way he wants. He can sit whoever he chooses. Boohoo, it was on national TV, who cares?

kblo247
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Nothing in the CBA says Stern has any damn ounce of power to tell a coach who he has to play. Nothing in Pops contract says he has an obligation to put out his best players versus any eam or can't rest on a national game day. Nothing sets a precedent in support of a sanctions, as Silver backed Pop doing it last year to the public, and Miami didnt get fined for pulling the same stunt last year in TNT vs Boston.

Stern can simply **** off, Pop is well within every single one of his rights and would have any fine or penalty overturned because there is nothing to back Adolf Stern up.

Giraffes Rule
11-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Can you think of one? Because I can't.

-Take away home court advantage in the playoffs? That would be far worse.
-Take away Pop's seat so he has to stand all game? He's always in the ref's face anyways.
-Cut off the Gatorade supply? Come on now.

Money is all there is.

How about they make a rule change effective immediately so in the future this doesn't happen? Why is it ok to fine the Spurs now, but not last year when they did basically the same thing at the end of a road trip against Portland?

ewmania
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
i can kind of see where stern is coming from and I never agree with this guy

but us as fans pay good money to see the best players on the court . if he did this if they played the knicks I for one wouldnt pay 3,000 just to see felton defend gary o'neal all night lol

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't care about the result, as I commented earlier. You can't fine a coach for coaching his team and playing the way he wants. He can sit whoever he chooses. Boohoo, it was on national TV, who cares?

I agree...as I said, he shouldn't be fined for doing something that current rules don't prevent.

However, your "boo hoo" attitude is laughable. It's easy for you to sit at home on you laptop and say "who cares". For the league, losing nationally televised games is a little more than a "boohoo" matter, and it would durastically change the league.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
How about they make a rule change effective immediately so in the future this doesn't happen? Why is it ok to fine the Spurs now, but not last year when they did basically the same thing at the end of a road trip against Portland?

That's exactly what I said a few pages ago. I never thought it was right for him to fine them now, in fact I said it isn't right. But there are people who don't believe what Pop's is doing is harmful to the league and should continue to be allowed, and I can't quite understand that.

Guppyfighter
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
He is just going to fake injuries now.

Sadds The Gr8
Stern is such a ****in idiot. Can't wait for him to retire

kblo247

Not just that Miami did it last year when they sat their big 3 vs Boston on TNT for simple rest.

Silver also told he media last year and I quote:
"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams." - future NBA commish Adam Silver

"And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess." - Silver part II (from last April).

WVNowitzki
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree...as I said, he shouldn't be fined for doing something that current rules don't prevent.

However, your "boo hoo" attitude is laughable. It's easy for you to sit at home on you laptop and say "who cares". For the league, losing nationally televised games is a little more than a "boohoo" matter, and it would durastically change the league.

It's 1 game, I'm sure the league can survive this terrible atrocity.

I'm going to retroactively fine David Stern and the Miami Heat for sitting Lebron at the end of last year because it cost me the title in my fantasy league.

flea
11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I guess Pop forgot that Stern also manages teams' rosters in this league. Nice trolling by Pop, I approve.

whitemamba33
11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
It's 1 game, I'm sure the league can survive this terrible atrocity.

I'm going to retroactively fine David Stern and the Miami Heat for sitting Lebron at the end of last year because it cost me the title in my fantasy league.
Lol you are telling me it's 1 game, but in your next line you reference another game that it happened in?

By your own admission, this isn't a one time occurance. So you bringing up the other times it has happened just make it more obvious that something needs to be done.

rocket
11-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Explain to me how he's allowed to fine a team for resting players?

dodie53
11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Pop should have played those guys,
then he can limit their minutes.

kblo247
11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
David Stern vetoed the CP3 to Lakers trade for "Basketball Reasons"

If Stern can do that I can't see any reason why Pop can't rest 4 players on a given night for "Basketball Reasons" also.

Captain Moroni
11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
And they are winning with 5 minutes to go against the Heat....LOL sanction that!

likemystylez
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM

LOL- what would be really mean is if he waited until the playoffs and suspended the whole starting line up for 2 weeks.

Captain Moroni
11-29-2012, 11:21 PM

Resting players is one thing, sending them home is another

Captain Moroni
11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I will say this, if I paid money for a flight to Miami, hotel, and big bucks for NBA TIX and when I got there my 4 best players on my favorite team were back in San Antonio resting, I would demand someone pay me back! I didn't come all the way to Miami to see Tiago Splitter play

Captain Moroni
11-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Spurs should get sanctioned, NBA fans deserve better

kenzo400
11-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Not sure why some people think that NBA cannot be fixed. If Stern can fine coaches for resting players because it might affect the ratings, then i doubt he would back off when it comes to favoring teams.

Bigbadmoffo
11-29-2012, 11:27 PM
This is proof that the refs have such a huge affect on the game. Funny to see Miami on the other end of it though.

Bigbadmoffo
11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Not sure why some people think that NBA cannot be fixed. If Stern can fine coaches for resting players because it might affect the ratings, then i doubt he would back off when it comes to favoring teams.

W/e though stern is gone after this year and The Nba might actually become legit instead of corrupt.

CubsBullsBucs
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM
will he follow through with these sanctions if the spurs win? LOL he Spurs should do whatever they want. Ya it sux as a fan, but deal with it.

The goods
11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I will say this, if I paid money for a flight to Miami, hotel, and big bucks for NBA TIX and when I got there my 4 best players on my favorite team were back in San Antonio resting, I would demand someone pay me back! I didn't come all the way to Miami to see Tiago Splitter play

Tiago Sppppplitter? (in my Stephen A. Smith voice) lol

kenzo400
W/e though stern is gone after this year and The Nba might actually become legit instead of corrupt.

Nah Silver is just as bad.

Bigbadmoffo

Who cares about the other teams fans and if it's my team i want my coach to make smart plays like resting his vets so we can focus on the big picture a ring.

OaktownRaider92
11-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Im a LAker fan so I don't like the Spurs...
But I respect them and Pop is the best in the game hands down and did this because it was the best thing for HIS CLUB.
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

Bigbadmoffo
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Wade just traveled so hard lmao!!!!

Bigbadmoffo
11-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Seen this coming the fact they hung in was a shock

BKLYNpigeon
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Popavich is the MAN! lol.

it wouldnt have been a problem if Duncan, Parker, Ginobli were dressed to play but sat on the bench for the whole game.

kblo247
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
If the Spurs get fined, then next game after, Pop ahould just start those 4, tell them to quickly intentionally foul, and then take them out of the game for the night

And follow it with a thumbs up to the camera.

topdog
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Popavich is the MAN! lol.

it wouldnt have been a problem if Duncan, Parker, Ginobli were dressed to play but sat on the bench for the whole game.

That is the problem though - they weren't even in the state much less dressed to play. At the very least, them being there would have given the fans some semblance of hope that if the game were close enough at the end (which it was) that they might play.

tr3ymill3r
11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
On the last day of Stern's reign, Pop and the Spurs won't show up at all for a nationally televised game.

mngopher35
11-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Sucks for the fans, makes sense for the team. Weird situation and I'm not really sure you can make a rule for it that makes a lot of sense.

kblo247
11-30-2012, 12:06 AM
That is the problem though - they weren't even in the state much less dressed to play. At the very least, them being there would have given the fans some semblance of hope that if the game were close enough at the end (which it was) that they might play.

There's no rule against sending guys home or how you manage your rosters. That is why it's called a coaches decision. Nothing in the CBA or the past says stern can say or do anything, let alone that the sanction could stick

SteBO
11-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I understand how inconsiderate it looks from the fans' perspective, but sorry I see nothing wrong with what Pop did. He's the coach of the team, and he should be able to manage his team as he sees fit. And I love how Stern probably isn't even considering how ridiculous the scheduling is, which was a HUGE factor into the decision Pop made anyway.

If you want avoid a situation like this in the future, schedule the games better. I find the fact that possible sanctions are even being discussed is a pretty stupid. The Spurs could actually get in trouble by doing what's best for the team. Comical.

flea
11-30-2012, 12:25 AM
If Stern wants to avoid a regular season game being meaningless that's certainly within his power. Instead he's going to pout about it and throw around fines.

Cracka2HI!
11-30-2012, 12:47 AM
I don't see how Stern can fine them? For what? I think what Pop did makes perfect sense! Talk about a disadvantage in a game. The Spurs played 3 games since Miami last had and was coming off a back to back. I have no problem with Pop resting his players in a schedule loss that was created by the NBA. If anything Stern should fine/fire the schedule maker.

ColtsSpursTerps
11-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Put this in the GT but Stern is a clown. Teams do this at the end of the year too after a playoff seed has been wrapped up, I want to see what he does then. Just cause it's a nationally televised game. Had they rested them last night, he'd have no issue. He can't have it both ways, it's Pop's team to do what he wants. His job is to put his team in position to win in the big picture, not bring in ratings.

Also, guess it means more Joey Crawford for Spurs playoff games.

great.. now I won't be able to sleep tonight...i bet you that ****** will be reffing more Spurs games now

Jeffy25
11-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Stern has to be the worst commissioner in sports

RonE Coleman
11-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Stern has to be the worst commissioner in sports

this

phlp_bj
11-30-2012, 01:00 AM
I just read that Pop might have done this to get back at Stern and the NBA for the way their games are scheduled. If this is the case, I love Pop even more. Chose the perfect game to make a statement too. I back Pop on this 100%. I'm a fan of the game too and would be upset if I came to see Nando De Colo play, but just looking at it from both sides, I love what Pop is doing and the way he coaches seems to be working, so more to him.

gocubs2118
11-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Since when did it become the coach's job to entertain the fans? Popovich has a job to do and he thought resting his players was best for his team. If you went to the game, too bad.

KKell2507
11-30-2012, 01:03 AM
This is an absolute JOKE! Stern cannot fine the Spurs for doing nothing wrong.

It makes perfect sense basketball wise to rest his players. It makes perfect sense to send them home. Do you get more rest, flying home and having an extra night at home with your family? or flying to miami and sitting on the bench and watching the game, then flying late night home and getting in late?

You rest all of them for 1 game, because if you rested 1 different player for 4 straight games, you have a greater chance of losing 4 games, instead of 1.

Also would you rather have your best players rested and ready for a division opponent with the same record as you, or an out of conference opponent you dont have to worry about again until the finals?

Spurs were playing there 4th road game in 5 nights and have to play their biggest division opponent two days later.

Also you dont rest your players against the Magic last night, because you might lose a scrubs vs scrubs match and then still lose best vs best game the next night vs the Heat.

Popovich gave his team the best chance of winning the most games possible in this stretch. I applaud him for that, thats why hes the best coach in the NBA.

For those who take the fans perspective that they deserve to see the best players. I understand that. But think about all those Sixer fans who bought season tickets because of Andrew Bynum, and then werent told of his knee problems until the first day of training camp. Are you gonna repay all of them because hes not playing? No.

If you live right next to a Starbucks but drive 20 miles away to another Starbucks because theres a hot girl that works there and is nice to you, youre not going to demand youre money back because you drive there one day and she has the day off. Well you cant demand your money back when your favorite players dont play either. Its the risk and reward of buying the ticket, for the same reason its the risk and reward of going out of your way to a different store.

Gregg Popovich did his job. now David Stern needs to do his job and stay out of it.

LOOTERX9
I don't see how Stern can fine them? For what? I think what Pop did makes perfect sense! Talk about a disadvantage in a game. The Spurs played 3 games since Miami last had and was coming off a back to back. I have no problem with Pop resting his players in a schedule loss that was created by the NBA. If anything Stern should fine/fire the schedule maker.

I know it's a tricky situation but come on now there has to be some kind of common sense here shown by spurs coach. You don't do something like this during nationally televised game with the Heat. you just don't. you rest players during a less marquee game than this one against miami. it's a slap in the face to the fans to be honest.

mzgrizz
Resting players is one thing, sending them home is another

Exactly. He could have given them a DNP. Sat them on the bench and Stern most likely wouldn't have been so pissed. Were they so tired and worn out they had to go home ???!! I think they had NO idea the Grizz were going to be this good at this point and didn't care about the schedule then.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Since when did it become the coach's job to entertain the fans? Popovich has a job to do and he thought resting his players was best for his team. If you went to the game, too bad.

but i've never seen this type of thing happen before this early in nba. i can see resting one top player but not 3 of them. that's just not good for the sport. pure disrespect to the paying public.

SportsFanatic10
11-30-2012, 01:16 AM
stern is ridiculous. and i don't have a problem with what pop did. however i don't buy it when he says "this isn't about miami". that's false, if that were true it would of made more sense to bench them against orlando last night and maybe win anyways and then have them ready for a marquee matchup against the heat on national tv today. i think he calculated the chances of winning and planned it out. however i've got to hand it to the backups, they fought hard and almost pulled it off. it was embarrassing watching the heat sleep walk through yet another game. they gotta start taking opponents seriously and put away the teams that they should.

mzgrizz
11-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Well they need to figure it out. Attendance across the NBA has been slipping; it is a business; pulling healthy players even if they are aged; what tv revenues or gate revenues might be lost if you can't count on seeing star players from the visiting teams. It's shameful to me. I really didn't know we played them Saturday until I looked it up tonight. I would have been so furious if I'd been a Miami fan who forked out hundreds of dollars to see a formerly great team play against the Heat. Yes formerly because they don't have enough to play the schedule as it is this early in the season. Resting guys before the playoffs to protect against injury is more understandable or controlling minutes as pop had to do all last year.
I don't know if 2 extra days will pay off for the spurs against my Grizz, but this game should be quite interesting. Can you say hello Joey Crawford???

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 01:25 AM
And coaches are paid to win championships. If resting players early in the season helps that then he should. Fans know certain players could be out when they buy the tickets.

But this will kill the sport if every coach started doing this crap. fans wont be willing to pay for those premium tickets if they feel a star player or in this case 4 players wont play. It's common sense. stern needs to fine spurs just to discourage other teams from pulling this stunt. can't have this going on. the fans will get screwed big time. i'm with stern on this one

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 01:27 AM
this is why I will never like the lame, boring spurs franchise. They are tone deaf out there to do something like this to the fans. Just rest a player here and there. not all 4!!!! wtf?!!!

UnWantedTheory
11-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Its the first month of the season... I would be worried if you really had to rest 3/5 starters in the first month

4th game on the road in 5 days with a big game coming up against Memphis. There are no rules against it & it turned out to be a great game that the Spurs almost won. So the fan's got their $ worth. For those *****ing about fans not seeing their fav player etc....it was in MIA. I doubt there were many Spurs fans in the crowd & real Spurs fans should be accustomed to this & not really care. This was a game many pointed out as likelihood to rest players when the schedules were initially released.

At the end of the day it isn't a huge deal & there is a precedent set in favor of it. I would hope the Spurs Org. fights this(whatever it may be), but I have a feeling they will just take it & move on.

torocan
11-30-2012, 01:34 AM
[/B]

But this will kill the sport if every coach started doing this crap. fans wont be willing to pay for those premium tickets if they feel a star player or in this case 4 players wont play. It's common sense. stern needs to fine spurs just to discourage other teams from pulling this stunt. can't have this going on. the fans will get screwed big time. i'm with stern on this one

Or Stern could just make a point of NOT scheduling Marquee teams off crazy schedules for their nationally televised games. They KNEW that Spurs/Miami was going to be a big game. How hard is it to give both teams a reasonable rest before putting them on TNT?

If Stern is REALLY concerned about the product on TV, then he'll want BOTH teams rested so they can both put out their best possible effort.

It's Pops' job is to put his team in the best position to win a Championship.

It's Sterns' job is to put those teams in the best position to put the best possible product on those marquee TV games.

Having Miami rest multiple days on a light schedule, while the Spurs play a massive road grind and then play Miami after a back to back isn't about the quality of the product for the fans, it's a money grab.

Put them on similar footing and Pops doesn't need to rest his starters. Simple as that.

UnWantedTheory
11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
^ I didn't even mention how the Spurs are getting screwed over schedule-wise. Stern should update his schedule making software if he has a damn problem with Pop doing his job within the rules of the NBA.

UnWantedTheory
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Or Stern could just make a point of NOT scheduling Marquee teams off crazy schedules for their nationally televised games. They KNEW that Spurs/Miami was going to be a big game. How hard is it to give both teams a reasonable rest before putting them on TNT?

If Stern is REALLY concerned about the product on TV, then he'll want BOTH teams rested so they can both put out their best possible effort.

It's Sterns' job is to put those teams in the best position to put the best possible product on those marquee TV games.

Having Miami rest multiple days on a light schedule, while the Spurs play a massive road grind and then play Miami after a back to back isn't about the quality of the product for the fans, it's a money grab.

Put them on similar footing and Pops doesn't need to rest his starters. Simple as that.

Exactly. Damn good post.

UnWantedTheory
11-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Also, for those *****ing about this catching on around the NBA need to chill. Pop has been doing this for years now & it hasn't caught on yet. I wouldn't worry too much. Not to mention there is no difference when teams rest their players after insuring a playoff spot.

Six-8-TheWizard
11-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Six8thewizard your sig is fing awesome

:D Thanks Man

petersmagic12
11-30-2012, 01:47 AM
This ridiculous if Pop gets fined for this there is no justification. I feel for the fans that bought tickets to a degree but the same thing happens at the end of the season. And not every coach will start doing this because many teams don't have the luxury of a deep team like the spurs. OKC if they rest durant and westbrook there is no way they are beating miami. Boston if they rest their big 3 theres no way they are getting close. Spurs rest 4 starters and still almost pull an upset over miami. It might be early to this but Pop looks at the big picture and this wouldnt be the first he pulled something like this. You cant fine a team because he rests guys thats dumb what if they were sick or injured no one would be saying anything. IF he had a young team maybe I would be more understanding but Duncan, ginobli and parker are all over 30 and yes they are nba athletes but they cannot always go the minutes we want them too.

Its like a lot of people are saying dont approve a grueling schedule and maybe you get different results.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 01:53 AM

Your whole post is rubbish. Doing this Ruins the integrity of the game. If the spurs cant handle a nba schedule then players should just retire then. To advertise a game like this and don't deliver the stars when time to play is just a slap in face to the paying public.

Sandman
11-30-2012, 01:55 AM
People that think this will set precedent for other teams to rest starters in big games ---- 2 things:

1- Rethink what you consider a big game. "Why not Orlando instead" -- maybe he felt they were tired after what he saw in the Orlando game. There's also the obvious difference in rest leading up to the game. And what the hell other team is going to rest their starters just because its a TV game? Back to the big game: they're resting for Memphis.

2- Aside from the fact that it turned out to be a last minute game... any time you buy tickets you run the risk of not seeing a 100% lineup. It might not happen on this magnitude often in the NBA -- and I still think it was an awkward move -- but anybody who has ever attended a major league baseball game knows on any given day you could see the B squad or more than one backup. Especially on early games after night games and after games that go into extra innings. Bottom line --- thats the coach's call.

No responsibility to play certain players in certain games. He can rest players whenever he wants.

HoodedSB
11-30-2012, 01:56 AM
The NBA exists to provide entertainment and justifies outrageous ticket prices by supposedly offering the best of the best. Pop made the smart decision basketball-wise, and will probably take the fine with dignity understanding it was the right thing to do, but Stern has a responsibility to the people for whom the league exists in the first place (fans).

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 01:58 AM
This ridiculous if Pop gets fined for this there is no justification. I feel for the fans that bought tickets to a degree but the same thing happens at the end of the season. And not every coach will start doing this because many teams don't have the luxury of a deep team like the spurs. OKC if they rest durant and westbrook there is no way they are beating miami. Boston if they rest their big 3 theres no way they are getting close. Spurs rest 4 starters and still almost pull an upset over miami. It might be early to this but Pop looks at the big picture and this wouldnt be the first he pulled something like this. You cant fine a team because he rests guys thats dumb what if they were sick or injured no one would be saying anything. IF he had a young team maybe I would be more understanding but Duncan, ginobli and parker are all over 30 and yes they are nba athletes but they cannot always go the minutes we want them too.

Its like a lot of people are saying dont approve a grueling schedule and maybe you get different results.

But this is not the end of the season man. this is the beginning. you can't have this stuff going on this early cause the fans will think twice bout paying all that money for these premium games if they are not sure the star players will even play. we pay more for marquee games like this. so the fans are being cheated when a team does this. it's bad enough it happens at end of seasons but to do it a month into the season is a disgrace to the game

whitemamba33
11-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Exactly. Damn good post.

Spoken like two guys who have no clue how the NBA scheduled is made, or who makes it.

topdog
There's no rule against sending guys home or how you manage your rosters. That is why it's called a coaches decision. Nothing in the CBA or the past says stern can say or do anything, let alone that the sanction could stick

That's part of why you have a commissioner. Not every rule is going to be thought of or make it into the CBA. There is no set rule for fines/suspensions for in-game altercations either - that's why Stu Jackson has his job. I am sure there is some broad clause that empowers Stein to make this decision.

At the end of the day, it's about protecting the brand. When the NBA advertises that Tim Duncan and co. are coming to town and I buy those premium-priced tickets, I expect to see Tim Duncan and co. or there better be a good excuse.

Obviously, Pop knows what he's doing sitting these guys. He's a winner. The issue I have is that not a one of the "big 3" was even in the building to sign autographs or give false hope.

torocan
Your whole post is rubbish. Doing this Ruines the integrity of the game. If the spurs cant handle a nba schedule then players should just retire then. To advertise a game like this and don't deliver the stars when time to play is just a slap in face to the paying public.

Sorry, but if Pops makes the decision to rest his starters after a tough grind in order to maximize his chances of getting HCA against Memphis, that's SMART coaching.

They handle a NBA schedule just fine and their year in and year out win record PROVES it. That it's against Miami on TNT is irrelevant. Their multiple Rings, multiple 50+ win seasons and multiple Deep playoff runs says a heck of a lot more than some random complaint that he chose to rest his starters tonight.

And really, ruin the integrity of the game? That's the definition of a load of rubbish. Pops didn't advertise this game. The Spurs didn't advertise this game.

TNT and the NBA pushed this game as a marquee matchup. To Pops this is just another game in the win/loss column that means NOTHING more than a win or loss against the Wizards.

Memphis is a conference rival, and a win there will not only get them better seeding for that win, but will Also potentially get them HCA... a REAL basketball advantage.

Getting deep into the playoffs is far more important to the integrity of the game than whether a fan is going to see Duncan on TNT.

And if Stern doesn't like it, he should not put Pops in the position where he has to choose between what's best for his team and what's best for TNT's ratings.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Yall would not like this if every coach started just randomly just taking 2 or 3 or 4 top players out of a game in the beginning of the season that are not injured. especially for a marquee nationally tv game like HEAT VS SPURS!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. STERN MUST FINE THE SPURS TO DISCOURAGE THIS CRAP

amos1er
11-30-2012, 02:04 AM
**** Stern. He gave Miami 4 days off before their home game and San Antonio had 4 games in 5 nights up until this road game. Pops had every right to rest his older players because he is trying to win a championship and thats his job and right to do so.

Stern gave Mimi an unfair advantage and Pops didn't want to risk injury and wear and tear to his players in a situation that favored Miami. I'm totally on Pops side here...Stern is just trying to make his boy Lebron look good against a team that can threaten them and therefore Sterns biggest cash cow Lebron.

**** you Stern!!! A coach has every right to do whatever it takes to win. Don't be bitter just because he called you out on your bs. He has a job to do you ****!!!

kingjaymes23
11-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Why was Mark Jackson not fined last year when he sat players that could play so he could keep his draft pick? When teams tank it at the end of the season, why are they not fined?

Hell, let's make a new rule. If every star player does not play every minute of every game, fines for the coach and owner. David Sterm is the biggest joke of a commish and I am soooooo glad he is retiring. Good riddance.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Stern needs to both fine the Spurs and tell them if they pull this crap again there will be less national TV games for their team. they can't have this going on in the nba.What if other teams start this? tickets sales will drop hard...It's still a business and these guys get paid millions to entertain the fans. there are better ways to rest your players.

kingjaymes23
11-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Yall would not like this if every coach started just randomly just taking 2 or 3 or 4 top players out of a game in the beginning of the season that are not injured. especially for a marquee nationally tv game like HEAT VS SPURS!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME. STERN MUST FINE THE SPURS TO DISCOURAGE THIS CRAP

Who cares?!!? If that's what's best for the team, then he has a right to do it. Now he has to do everything for TV ratings? It was still a good game, imagine if Green, Duncan, etc. played tonight. It wouldn't have even been a game. He got a better game this way.

kingjaymes23
11-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Stern needs to both fine the Spurs and tell them if they pull this crap again there will be less national TV games for team. they can't have this going on in the nba.What if other teams start this? tickets sales will drop hard...

So how about fining all the teams that tank at the end of the season too? Because if Stern does what you suggest, he'd have to start fining anybody that ever rested a starter.

J4KOP99
11-30-2012, 02:14 AM
stern is a ****ing idiot

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Stern needs to both fine the Spurs and tell them if they pull this crap again there will be less national TV games for their team. they can't have this going on in the nba.What if other teams start this? tickets sales will drop hard...It's still a business and these guys get paid millions to entertain the fans. there are better ways to rest your players.

Haha, as if the Spurs care about being on national TV. LOL.

If you tell Pop basketball is there to 'entertain' he'll pimp slap you into orbit.

Teeboy1487
11-30-2012, 02:24 AM
I agree with Pop here. Where was Stern's anger when The Heat and the Celtics rested their players on a National televised game last year? Pop has every right to rest his players for the sake of the team's possible playoff run. I do understand why Stern was angry, but he is going too far with pursuing sanctions.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Stern wants the Spurs to fade. Sorry, not happening anytime soon.

Nya nya.

championships
Pop trolled Stern. That's great!

akagiredsuns
You all are missing the point here. It's easy to criticize Stern on this, but he's right. As a fan. I would be royally pissed if I bought tickets for this game months ago and when the day comes I see the Spurs Big 3 shut down like this. I understand Park, Manu, & Tim are aging veterans, and I don't fault Pop for doing what he did, but I would demand a refund on my ticket cus this ain't right.

Anyways, what can you do? Stern has the right to sanction them cus he is the commish and I'm with him on this one. The Spurs took away a potentially exciting matchup away from the fans by keeping the Big 3 & Green out. 6 games in 9 nights? Tough. This is the NBA. If your body can't take that, then get off the court.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
You all are missing the point here. IT's easy to criticize Stern on this, but it's right. As a fan. I would be royally pissed if I bought tickets for this game and see the Spurs Big 3 shut down like this. I understand Park, Manu, & Tim are aging veterans, and I don't fault Pop for doing what he did, but I would demand a refund on my ticket cus this ain't right.

Anyways, what can you do? Stern has the right to sanction them cus he is the commish and I'm with him on this one. The Spurs took away a potentially exciting matchup away from the fans by keeping the Big 3 & Green out.

As a HEAT fan, yes. A true Spurs fan knows Pop is acting in the teams best interest. It's all about making the Heat look good.

It was still an entertaining game, just five point differential. LOL.

Again, Pop doesn't care about entertaining. He wants to win basketball games.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Who cares?!!? If that's what's best for the team, then he has a right to do it. Now he has to do everything for TV ratings? It was still a good game, imagine if Green, Duncan, etc. played tonight. It wouldn't have even been a game. He got a better game this way.

You guys are clueless and just blind and bias against stern. I don't like stern either but i agree with him on this one. He has to stop this from happening right away before other teams start doing this nonsense. It ruins integrity of a nba when you rest 4, not 1 but 4 top players for no real legit reason. there was another way pop could have handled this. just rest 1 players for past 4 games each. simple right? it's just common sense not to do what he did in this gamr

topdog
11-30-2012, 02:31 AM
**** Stern. He gave Miami 4 days off before their home game and San Antonio had 4 games in 5 nights up until this road game. Pops had every right to rest his older players because he is trying to win a championship and thats his job and right to do so.

Stern gave Mimi an unfair advantage and Pops didn't want to risk injury and wear and tear to his players in a situation that favored Miami. I'm totally on Pops side here...Stern is just trying to make his boy Lebron look good against a team that can threaten them and therefore Sterns biggest cash cow Lebron.

**** you Stern!!! A coach has every right to do whatever it takes to win. Don't be bitter just because he called you out on your bs. He has a job to do you ****!!!

You probably also think that the president makes the laws :facepalm:

Stern does not make the schedule. Matt Winick is the creator of NBA schedules as NBA Vice President of Scheduling and Game Operations:

http://www.nbastuffer.com/component/option,com_glossary/Itemid,90/catid,44/func,view/term,How%20the%20NBA%20Schedule%20is%20Made/

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:34 AM
As a HEAT fan, yes. A true Spurs fan knows Pop is acting in the teams best interest. It's all about making the Heat look good.

It was still an entertaining game, just five point differential. LOL.

Again, Pop doesn't care about entertaining. He wants to win basketball games.

True but he is coaching under a pro league that is supposed to be entertaining the paying fans. To just say F-U to the fans like this is beyond pathetic. Stern needs to fine them immediately.There is other ways to rest your players without taking all 4 players out at once during a big game like this. this is why i hate the boring and lame spurs franchise

JayW_1023
You guys are clueless and just blind and bias against stern. I don't like stern either but i agree with him on this one. He has to stop this from happening right away before other teams start doing this nonsense. It ruins integrity of a nba when you rest 4, not 1 but 4 top players for no real legit reason. there was another way pop could have handled this. just rest 1 players for past 4 games each. simple right? it's just common sense not to do what he did in this gamr

I think it's a good thing. Wish more people would follow this blueprint. We might have less depressing injuries (i.e. Derrick Rose) as a result.

Ad we'll see how certain guys handle big minutes. It will only enhance the level of play in the postseason, and that's what it's all about.

torocan

That's a ridiculous solution.

Pops is going to reduce his chances of winning on FOUR different nights instead of just ONE? The Spurs WON the last four games. Why would he put ANY of them at risk just because Miami is televised?

That's the definition of idiotic coaching.

Pops made the best choice. Win the most games he can, take a flyer at the Heat, and give the Spurs their best chance against Memphis for seeding and Home Court.

If Sterns wants a marquee matchup, then don't back Pops into a corner where he has to choose.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:36 AM
[/B]

True but he is coaching under a pro league that is supposed to be entertaining the paying fans. To just say F-U to the fans like this is beyond pathetic. Stern needs to fine them immediately.There is other ways to rest your players without taking all 4 players out at once during a big game like this. this is why i hate the boring and lame spurs franchise

Again, most Spurs fans couldn't care less. They know Pop is acting in the teams best interest. This was all about making Miami look good.

This entire move exposes Sterns bias towards big market teams.

Your last sentence pretty much says it all, so I'm done arguing with you.

Two back to backs in five nights with a veteran core. It was the right move to make.

torocan
11-30-2012, 02:39 AM
You probably also think that the president makes the laws :facepalm:

Stern does not make the schedule. Matt Winick is the creator of NBA schedules as NBA Vice President of Scheduling and Game Operations:

http://www.nbastuffer.com/component/option,com_glossary/Itemid,90/catid,44/func,view/term,How%20the%20NBA%20Schedule%20is%20Made/

Stern may not make directly make the schedules, but he sure has input on the guidelines of how the schedules are made. Winick made the schedule based upon those guidelines.

To say that Stern has NO responsibility is like saying that he had ZERO input to the guidelines, or into the hiring of Winick.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I Repeat if the spurs team is told old to play a full schedule then the players need to retire. It's like phil jackson not wanting to coach games on the east coast, how stupid is that? It's destroys integrity of the game for real to do what the spurs did tonight. Can't have other teams doing this crap cause yall fans will get pissed off really quickly if it happens to them

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:40 AM
I Repeat if the spurs team is told old to play a full schedule then the players need to retire. It's like phil jackson not wanting to coach games on the east coast, how stupid is that? It's destroys integrity of the game for real to do what the spurs did tonight. Can't have other teams doing this crap cause yall fans will get pissed off really quickly if it happens to them

Go watch the ASG if you like fan service so much. If you like your sports association run like a dictatorship be my guest.

Joshtd1
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Don't feel like reading through the whole thread and I'm sure it's been mentioned but...

I'd be willing to bet Stern doesn't say **** about this if it was against the Magic or Wizards. Hell the Spurs did it last year at least four times times...but it wasn't against any premier teams, so he was quiet. Of course he says it now when its a big national TV game against the reigning champs he does. Funny

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
That's a ridiculous solution.

Pops is going to reduce his chances of winning on FOUR different nights instead of just ONE? The Spurs WON the last four games. Why would he put ANY of them at risk just because Miami is televised?

That's the definition of idiotic coaching.

Pops made the best choice. Win the most games he can, take a flyer at the Heat, and give the Spurs their best chance against Memphis for seeding and Home Court.

If Sterns wants a marquee matchup, then don't back Pops into a corner where he has to choose.

Wait a minute, so now pop is God? I have never seen this type of crap done so early in a season before. Cause other coaches are not so arrogant to do such a thing to the fans. Pop could have sat a player here and there if he felt his team needs rest. He just threw a full game tonight against the heat. That's not good for the nba. if spurs are too old then they need to retire

Joshtd1
11-30-2012, 02:43 AM
And for the people saying Pop should have done it against the other teams..it's the same concept. Why is it ok to do it against the lesser teams opposed to the Heat? The lesser teams still have fans that go to watch the game. People overreact.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Wait a minute, so now pop is God? I have never seen this type of crap done so early in a season before. Cause other coaches are not so arrogant to do such a thing to the fans. Pop could have sat a player here and there if he felt his team needs rest. He just threw a full game tonight against the heat. That's not good for the nba. if spurs are too old then they need to retire

You are still avoiding the argument that only the HEAT fans are robbed of a potentially entertaining game.

I still thought it was an entertaining game. I don't watch basketball just because of the stars, but because I like the game.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Don't feel like reading through the whole thread and I'm sure it's been mentioned but...

I'd be willing to bet Stern doesn't say **** about this if it was against the Magic or Wizards. Hell the Spurs did it last year at least four times times...but it wasn't against any premier teams, so he was quiet. Of course he says it now when its a big national TV game against the reigning champs he does. Funny

so what? he needs to stop it now. it does not matter what happened before. He has to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand. Just because he let it slide before does not mean he should continue to. I can't believe how people don't see how this is bad business for the NBA to have marquee games ruined like this

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Go watch the ASG if you like fan service so much. If you like your sports association run like a dictatorship be my guest.

No but I pay my money to go to games and I would be pissed if I did not get to see what I payed for without a viable reason. These players get payed millions for a reason. it's not just about them. we pay to see them play. there has to be a better way to rest players than what the arrogant pop did.

Joshtd1
11-30-2012, 02:50 AM
so what? he needs to stop it now. it does not matter what happened before. He has to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand. Just because he let it slide before does not mean he should continue to. I can't believe how people don't see how this is bad business for the NBA to have marquee games ruined like this

Schedule maker should know better then to put the Spurs on a 4 games in 5 nights on the road, and the Heat get 4 days to rest, when Pop has done it before. Stern should have looked at the proposed schedule and done something about it. So you're saying it would have been ok to do it as long as it isn't a marquee game?

And the game ended up being pretty damn entertaining and close the whole game, so the fans should be happy. Got their money worth and a win from the home team.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 02:52 AM
No but I pay my money to go to games and I would be pissed if I did not get to see what I payed for without a viable reason. These players get payed millions for a reason. it's not just about them. we pay to see them play. there has to be a better way to rest players than what the arrogant pop did.

But it's also the leagues responsibility to manage a realistic schedule so we can continue to do that.

The Spurs schedule was just ridiculous, even for a non-veteran laden unit.

Joshtd1
11-30-2012, 02:52 AM

If anything the Spurs fans should be the ones that are disappointed, not the team that has everyone playing. I don't see how someone can get rest...without actually resting.

Kevj77
11-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Stern probably got angry phone calls from sponsors and networks. Pop certainly has the right to rest his players as he sees fit IMO. Still the networks, advertisers and fans are the reason players and coaches like Pop make millions. I'd say these people have a right to expect a certain standard from the product they are paying for.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 02:54 AM
And for the people saying Pop should have done it against the other teams..it's the same concept. Why is it ok to do it against the lesser teams opposed to the Heat? The lesser teams still have fans that go to watch the game. People overreact.

he should not pull all 4 guys out at once against any team to be honest. maybe 1 or 2 is fine but not all of them. the fans are getting royally screwed. that's not good anyway yall try to spin it. plus common sense should tell the arrogant popovich not to do this in a marquee game like this at the miami freakin heat!!! where is the common sense from this arrogant prick?!!!!!

oballers
11-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Sorry, but if Pops makes the decision to rest his starters after a tough grind in order to maximize his chances of getting HCA against Memphis, that's SMART coaching.

Tough grind!!?!?! Oh pleaaase... San Antonio's Big 3 avged a whopping 20mpg over the last 2 games winning laughers against ORL and WASH.

So please lay off the BS re: 'much needed rest after a tough grind.' How old are these guys??

I know Danny Green is 25. As far as I'm concerned he should be playing 82 games not taking flights home during games against potential NBA Finals matchups, especially considering he only avgs. 30 mpg anyway. In fact Tim Duncan only avgs 30mpg, Manu avgs 24mpg and Tony Parker at age 30 should be able to handle his 30mpg as well.

Putting these guys on an airplane before the game was an exercise for Pop's ego and nothing more. No autographs, no time with the fans and certainly no time on the court for the Big 3 or the fans who pay to see 'em.

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 02:56 AM
All I hear is a bunch of ***** who want Popovich to lie about them being injured because it makes them feel better.

torocan
11-30-2012, 02:58 AM

Pops isn't God, but he is in my opinion the BEST head coach currently in the NBA.

4x NBA Champion (currently the 5th most in HISTORY, and 3 more than ANY current Head Coach in the league)
4x WCF Champion
2x All Star Coach
2x Coach of the Year
14 50+ winning seasons (out of 16 coached seasons)
15 Playoff appearances (out of 16 coached seasons) with only 3 first round exits. His ONLY missed playoffs year was his FIRST year as a Head Coach.
.680 Win Percentage (847-399)

If Pops thinks he made the best decision for his team, then I'm sure as heck NOT going to question him.

As for your argument about the Spurs being too old, sorry, but resting during Miami doesn't say anything. Their record this season speaks for itself.

13-4
.765 (3rd highest winning percentage in the NBA)

The NBA made the schedule. Pops made the most of it.

Joshtd1
11-30-2012, 03:00 AM
he should not pull all 4 guys out at once against any team to be honest. maybe 1 or 2 is fine but not all of them. the fans are getting royally screwed. that's not good anyway yall try to spin it. plus common sense should tell the arrogant popovich not to do this in a marquee game like this at the miami freakin heat!!! where is the common sense from this arrogant prick?!!!!!

Well as you know, it's a business first and he puts his team first in trying to win over what the fans thing. I guarantee if this was against some other team Stern wouldn't have made a big deal. However because it's ratings he is upset. It's probably Pop's way of saying F U to Stern since he isn't breaking any rules, since it was a dumb schedule.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 03:01 AM

It was the last road game, of course it makes more sense to do it now.

For Pop it's just another game.

And to me personally, the real season starts with the postseason.

topdog
11-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Stern may not make directly make the schedules, but he sure has input on the guidelines of how the schedules are made. Winick made the schedule based upon those guidelines.

To say that Stern has NO responsibility is like saying that he had ZERO input to the guidelines, or into the hiring of Winick.

Nope. The article below covers how it's done.

Essentially, teams have to submit a certain number of dates when their arena is available which is the primary factor along with traveling costs and each team gets 3 preferred home dates. There is some discussion with broadcast partners about Thursday night double-header games. The article also covers how a Thursday game can be easier or harder on a team based upon their usual schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/19219/how-to-build-the-nba-schedule

lamzoka
11-30-2012, 03:02 AM
why didnt stern fine the wizards for not winning a game untill last nite
how about fining every team that miss the playoffs
fine bosh for being gay
fine portland for passing on kevin durant
fine the fans who fell to asleep while watching a game at home
fine everybody......
stern < anything else

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Stern probably got angry phone calls from sponsors and networks. Pop certainly has the right to rest his players as he sees fit IMO. Still the networks, advertisers and fans are the reason players and coaches like Pop make millions. I'd say these people have a right to expect a certain standard from the product they are paying for.

Exactly! well stated.. Plus what is gonna stop popavich or any other coach from doing this crap on Christmas day games?? You can't have this spread and there must be a big fine handed out..

ElChinoLatino
11-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Your whole post is rubbish. Doing this Ruins the integrity of the game. If the spurs cant handle a nba schedule then players should just retire then. To advertise a game like this and don't deliver the stars when time to play is just a slap in face to the paying public.

If you were the coach of the Spurs and noticed that your 35 year old players, your most valuable assets on the team are fatigued by playing 4 games in 5 days, you would still play them risking injury of any degree? Put yourself in the coach's position, your ultimate goal in the NBA is to win Championships, not regular season marquee matchups. You will do what is best for your team, not ratings. If you have a better chance at beating a potent Western rival (Memphis), then by all means rest your star players to improve the % of winning Saturday.

topdog
11-30-2012, 03:07 AM
People are really showing their bias here. It's one thing to disagree with Stern about fining the Spurs, it's another to blame him for the schedule. He has very little if anything to do with the schedule. If you want to blame anyone, blame the arena operators and broadcasters.

torocan
11-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Nope. The article below covers how it's done.

Essentially, teams have to submit a certain number of dates when their arena is available which is the primary factor along with traveling costs and each team gets 3 preferred home dates. There is some discussion with broadcast partners about Thursday night double-header games. The article also covers how a Thursday game can be easier or harder on a team based upon their usual schedule.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/19219/how-to-build-the-nba-schedule

Yes, the dates to play are submitted in terms of availability. However, they could have chosen to sync up the dates differently given that there are ALOT of dates to work with if TV coverage is a significant issue for the NBA.

And the process they use is something they have developed over time. To argue that Stern had NO input to the development of that process is silly. Those rules didn't emerge out of a vacuum.

And yes, some schedules are harder on some teams than others, but the difference in schedules was very dramatic. 4 days off vs the brutal schedule that the Spurs had was not a trivial difference.

Given the possible permutations of the games, if they want to ensure that Coaches always field their A rosters on nationally televised games, that needs to be considered when they sort it out.

Whether that's a brain fart by Winick, or a lack of direction by Stern, it still falls under Sterns responsibility as the Commissioner. The buck has to stop somewhere, and it sure isn't on Pops' desk.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Well as you know, it's a business first and he puts his team first in trying to win over what the fans thing. I guarantee if this was against some other team Stern wouldn't have made a big deal. However because it's ratings he is upset. It's probably Pop's way of saying F U to Stern since he isn't breaking any rules, since it was a dumb schedule.

Yes!! don't you get it? Why wouldn't stern be upset? Pop just ruined a nationally telivised game! What's to stop pop or other coaches from doing this on CHRISTMAS DAY? Stern has a right to protect the NBA.s marquee games!! it's common sense that he will be angry at this. I would be too:facepalm:

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Yes, the dates to play are submitted in terms of availability. However, they could have chosen to sync up the dates differently given that there are ALOT of dates to work with if TV coverage is a significant issue for the NBA.

And the process they use is something they have developed over time. To argue that Stern had NO input to the development of that process is silly. Those rules didn't emerge out of a vacuum.

And yes, some schedules are harder on some teams than others, but the difference in schedules was very dramatic. 4 days off vs the brutal schedule that the Spurs had was not a trivial difference.

Given the possible permutations of the games, if they want to ensure that Coaches always field their A rosters on nationally televised games, that needs to be considered when they sort it out.

Whether that's a brain fart by Winick, or a lack of direction by Stern, it still falls under Sterns responsibility as the Commissioner. The buck has to stop somewhere, and it sure isn't on Pops' desk.

Does not matter dude. As a nba team you are supposed to play the schedule given to you. If your team cant handle it , too bad ,get younger players on the team. But still pop's arrogance is pathetic. he did not have to rest all 4 in this game. that's just a slap in the face to fans

oballers
11-30-2012, 03:11 AM
If you were the coach of the Spurs and noticed that your 35 year old players, your most valuable assets on the team are fatigued by playing 4 games in 5 days, you would still play them risking injury of any degree? Put yourself in the coach's position, your ultimate goal in the NBA is to win Championships, not regular season marquee matchups. You will do what is best for your team, not ratings. If you have a better chance at beating a potent Western rival (Memphis), then by all means rest your star players to improve the % of winning Saturday.

Parker and Green are faaaar from 35. And if that was the case Duncan and Ginobili should have been sitting on the bench not in 1st class.

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:13 AM
This won't prevent anything. Just make coaches dishonest about injuries that aren't real. I guess everyone would rather be lied to.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:15 AM

But you gotta see it from stern's point Of view and not be bias . i hate stern too but even i dont like what spurs did tonight cause whats to stop them from doing this on christmas? there has to be some kind of limits put in place some how

oballers
11-30-2012, 03:17 AM
This won't prevent anything. Just make coaches dishonest about injuries that aren't real. I guess everyone would rather be lied to.

I'm amused that you think coaches being dishonest about player injuries would be a 'new' phenomenon started by this. Wow...:facepalm:

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:18 AM
OH NO, NOT CHRISTMAS

If they want to do it on Christmas, so be it.

People act as if there is a scarcity for interesting games. There isn't. Chill the **** out.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:18 AM

better to be lied to than to be blatantly played. it's like pop said f-u to the fans. He did not even try to make a real excuse for sending players home. Like i said what's to stop him or other coaches from doing this christmas day? i'm still waiting to here a good answer to this question

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm amused that you think coaches being dishonest about player injuries would be a 'new' phenomenon started by this. Wow...:facepalm:

I am amused you think I think that it would be new. Another idiot who thinks they know what they are saying.

I'd much rather have Popovich say why his players are out and what they are doing. It helps me as a gambler. Them lying about circumstances doesn't help me. Stern punishing them won't stop the former because it will just turn into the latter again.

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:20 AM
better to be lied to than to be blatantly played. it's like pop said f-u to the fans. He did not even try to make a real excuse for sending players home. Like i said what's to stop him or other coaches from doing this christmas day? i'm still waiting to here a good answer to this question

Horrible, backwards thinking. Especially considering they should have won with a missed call on Dwade travelling.

They didn't throw the game, they rested players.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
OH NO, NOT CHRISTMAS

If they want to do it on Christmas, so be it.

People act as if there is a scarcity for interesting games. There isn't. Chill the **** out.

You are absolutely insane man... You can't just sit stars out on freakin christmas day man!! come on what age are yall guys i'm talking to on this forum?:facepalm: Yall can't see how pulling stars out during marquee games on national tv games is horrible for any league? Really?

topdog
11-30-2012, 03:22 AM

There are 30 teams playing 82 games in 171 days. To give the networks marquee games every Thursday and make the schedules leading up to the game even, is asking for a miracle.

I never said he had no input, but scheduling is generally something quite separate from what Stern's position is concerned with besides giving final approval and perhaps recommending Christmas games. If he's going to suddenly concern himself with a team's schedule leading into a Thursday night game, he's going to have to go a whole lot deeper into the process than one week of games (those games have to take place at some point). The guy who has been doing the schedule has been doing it for 25 years so I'm sure he is capable on his own at this point.

Read the second article I posted (which is also linked in the first article). It covers Thursday night games. If networks want these kinds of matchups, there is no way around it based on the usual schedule of teams and their arena availability.

I just don't think you understand the time and effort it takes to make an 82 game schedule for 30 teams accounting for travel expenses, arena availability and limiting back-to-backs. Consider the scheduling conflict the Spurs have by having the rodeo in their arena each year which forces them to be on the road for a week or two. Who's to say that didn't impact this game?

Whether that's a brain fart by Winick, or a lack of direction by Stern, it still falls under Sterns responsibility as the Commissioner. The buck has to stop somewhere, and it sure isn't on Pops' desk.[/QUOTE]

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:23 AM
You are absolutely insane man... You can't just sit stars out on freakin christmas day man!! come on what age are yall guys i'm talking to on this forum?:facepalm: Yall can't see how pulling stars out during marquee games on national tv games is horrible for any league? Really?

I am at the age where I realize the realities of life. Popovich should do what he feels like will give his team the best chance to win the most amount of games.

ElChinoLatino
11-30-2012, 03:23 AM

I find it amusing how you think Pop actually cares about his team being televised on National TV. He cares about rings, not ratings. That is why the Spurs are most of the time called a boring team, yet Pop doesn't care cause he has 4 rings.

topdog
11-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Stern's job is to promote and protect the brand as an employee of the team owners. Scheduling is a full-time job with a full-time employee who has been doing it for 25 years.

IversonIsKrazy
11-30-2012, 03:27 AM
I get both sides.
Spurs: They can rest whoever they feel is neccessary for whats best for their teams.
NBA: That is a national-televised game, sponsers are paying big $$$ to advertise for those games, sucks for them.

I just don't get why Pops didn't rest them out during the last 2 games: Washington & Orlando, and why they would decide today is a good day to do it, against Miami... strange.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 03:29 AM
I get both sides.
Spurs: They can rest whoever they feel is neccessary for whats best for their teams.
NBA: That is a national-televised game, sponsers are paying big $$$ to advertise for those games, sucks for them.

I just don't get why Pops didn't rest them out during the last 2 games: Washington & Orlando, and why they would decide today is a good day to do it, against Miami... strange.

To be as fresh as possible for an important game against Memphis, that's why.

oballers
11-30-2012, 03:31 AM
I am amused you think I think that it would be new. Another idiot who thinks they know what they are saying.

I'd much rather have Popovich say why his players are out and what they are doing. It helps me as a gambler. Them lying about circumstances doesn't help me. Stern punishing them won't stop the former because it will just turn into the latter again.

Coaches and players lie about injuries all the time 'tweaking' this and that and being called 'day-to-day'.

It would certainly be interesting if Pop announced before the game that Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Green were all out due to injury. Wouldn't it?

Just deal with the fact that it was a classless move from an arrogant prick who was trying to prove a point regardless of who may or may not have shelled out all the money in their piggy banks for the chance to see the Spurs and the Heat.

As I mentioned, none of the 4 players sent home avg more than 30mpg ever. In the last 2 games they all avged 20 MPG winning blowouts against 2 of the worst teams in the league.

One of the players is a sprightly 30 and the other is 25 and they are not as geriatric as you make them out to be. For that matter neither is Ginobili.

Pop could have limited all their minutes or played 2 of the 4 and at the very least had them on the bench where they can actually take part in some fan appreciation activities. Have a picture taken, do an interview, write an autograph. He could have rested Duncan last game, Ginobili and Green the game before, Parker today.

But instead he chose to make a statement. So Stern makes one back. Completely logical and completely understandable. End o' story.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Horrible, backwards thinking. Especially considering they should have won with a missed call on Dwade travelling.

They didn't throw the game, they rested players.

You are missing the whole point man? i'm tired of trying to explain common sense to you and other bias stern haters. You cant have these things happening if you want to keep the integrity of the nba in good standing with fans that pay money to watch.
What if this was a christmas day game? would you agree with what pop did also? if you would then you must not like watching the nba or you want them to lose major advertising dollars.

JayW_1023
11-30-2012, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=LOOTERX9;24516845]You are missing the whole point man? i'm tired of trying to explain common sense to you and other bias stern haters. You cant have these things happening if you want to keep the integrity of the nba in good standing with fans that pay money to watch.
What if this was a christmas day game? would you agree with what pop did also? if you would then you must not like watching the nba or you want them to lose major advertising dollars.[/QUOTE

Actually, the definition of a true fan of the game is not letting it be decided on wether the stars play or not. It's about loving the game.

Watching the game just because of the stars, now that's superficial for ya.

bosox_mattyice3
11-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Sooo, can he not dress them and sit them on the bench for that game then. Bc that would be pretty funny. The look on sterns face.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:38 AM
I am at the age where I realize the realities of life. Popovich should do what he feels like will give his team the best chance to win the most amount of games.

pops also has an obligation to the nba and its fan not to ruin the integrity of the game. come on now we just don't see other coaches pull this stunt cause they know its wrong to do and bad for the nba. That was embarrassing watching that game tonight. It's like pop said f-u fans i do what i want however i want to. He has to realize it's just not all bout him. he has an obligation to play these games with an intent to win. It was a disgrace what he did

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:38 AM
You are missing the whole point man? i'm tired of trying to explain common sense to you and other bias stern haters. You cant have these things happening if you want to keep the integrity of the nba in good standing with fans that pay money to watch.
What if this was a christmas day game? would you agree with what pop did also? if you would then you must not like watching the nba or you want them to lose major advertising dollars.

Popovich has been doing this for 15 years. If you think this is going to be the down fall of the NBA you are delusional.

torocan
11-30-2012, 03:39 AM
There are 30 teams playing 82 games in 171 days. To give the networks marquee games every Thursday and make the schedules leading up to the game even, is asking for a miracle.

Never said Even. However a schedule that is LESS disparate leading up to the Television game is NOT asking for a miracle.

The NBA is a multi-billion dollar company.

They have ONE guy with a computer program. I'm sorry, large organizations often deal with vastly larger amounts of data being co-ordinated with far more difficult criteria every day. My sympathy for the NBA's difficulty in NOT putting a top flight, nationally televised Marquee matchup at the end of 4 games over 5 days is minimal.

Put the game as game 1, 2 or 3 of the 4 in 5 schedule and I doubt you'd see the Spurs sitting so many players if they sat any at all.

I never said he had no input, but scheduling is generally something quite separate from what Stern's position is concerned with besides giving final approval and perhaps recommending Christmas games. If he's going to suddenly concern himself with a team's schedule leading into a Thursday night game, he's going to have to go a whole lot deeper into the process than one week of games (those games have to take place at some point). The guy who has been doing the schedule has been doing it for 25 years so I'm sure he is capable on his own at this point.

Stern doesn't need to get directly involved. A *guideline* would have been sufficient.

IE, Note to Winick -- do NOT schedule the following Marquee teams at the end of 4 in 5's when they play each other if they are Nationally Televised.

Read the second article I posted (which is also linked in the first article). It covers Thursday night games. If networks want these kinds of matchups, there is no way around it based on the usual schedule of teams and their arena availability.

Back to backs are unavoidable. Televised games at the end of 4 in 5's between Marquee teams are NOT unavoidable considering only ONE 4 in 5 is allowed per team.

I just don't think you understand the time and effort it takes to make an 82 game schedule for 30 teams accounting for travel expenses, arena availability and limiting back-to-backs. Consider the scheduling conflict the Spurs have by having the rodeo in their arena each year which forces them to be on the road for a week or two. Who's to say that didn't impact this game?

Oh, I perfectly appreciate it. Lots of companies deal with HUGE amounts of data and information, with far more difficult tasks in terms of co-ordination and logistics.

I just don't buy it when you're saying that it's too difficult to manage for a Multi-billion dollar company like the NBA. I'm sure they spend more on Stern's hotel accomodations than they do for this guy to work out the schedule.

Guppyfighter
pops also has an obligation to the nba and its fan not to ruin the integrity of the game. come on now we just don't see other coaches pull this stunt cause they know its wrong to do and bad for the nba. That was embarrassing watching that game tonight. It's like pop said f-u fans i do what i want however i want to. He has to realize it's just not all bout him. he has an obligation to play these games with an intent to win. It was a disgrace what he did

Thinking it ruined the integrity of the game is laughable. Saying it is like saying f-u to the fans seems like a favorite phrase for you. It doesn't mean anything. Stop using it.

Auseranami
Why are people backing stern? It's well within pop's rights to rest his players, he's been doing it for a few years now.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:43 AM
To be as fresh as possible for an important game against Memphis, that's why.

I'm sorry but pop is being an arrogant prick. if his team is that fragile then why should any fan want to watch his boring team play ever anyway. stern should ban them from national games for rest of season. Hell pop seems not to give a damn bout entertaining fans anyways. he can be happy and coach his lame boring team without having a national audience. the guy is a arrogant s.o.b

oballers
11-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Actually, the definition of a true fan of the game is not letting it be decided on wether the stars play or not. It's about loving the game.

Watching the game just because of the stars, now that's superficial for ya.

Your right I think he should do it again in Memphis.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Why are people backing stern? It's well within pop's rights to rest his players, he's been doing it for a few years now.

and he needs to stop it

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm sorry but pop is being an arrogant prick. if his team is that fragile then why should any fan want to watch his boring team play ever anyway. stern should ban them from national games for rest of season. Hell pop seems not to give a damn bout entertaining fans anyways. he can be happy and coach his lame boring team without having a national audience. the guy is a arrogant s.o.b

Spurs have one of the fastest paces and a top offensive team. They haven't been boring for a while.

Your stance on this and your opinion about the Spurs confirms you don't know basketball.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Spurs have one of the fastest paces and a top offensive team. They haven't been boring for a while.

Your stance on this and your opinion about the Spurs confirms you don't know basketball.

the spurs are lame. They are old and this event proves my point. they cant even play a full season without pulling out 4 starters all at once. just lame and arrogant from pop. By the way spurs always get the lowest ratings for years now. so yes i know my basketball. you are just a stern hater who hates everything he says or does. stern is correct here

Auseranami
11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Pop doesn't owe fans anything. He owes the franchise a championship, so he's going to do what he needs to do to win a chip. If he needs to rest his players against a team that is in a different conference so they can be fresh for a team that poses a threat not only in their conference, but in their division, then he's gonna do that.

topdog
11-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Never said Even. However a schedule that is LESS disparate leading up to the Television game is NOT asking for a miracle.

The NBA is a multi-billion dollar company.

They have ONE guy with a computer program. I'm sorry, large organizations often deal with vastly larger amounts of data being co-ordinated with far more difficult criteria every day. My sympathy for the NBA's difficulty in NOT putting a top flight, nationally televised Marquee matchup at the end of 4 games over 5 days is minimal.

Put the game as game 1, 2 or 3 of the 4 in 5 schedule and I doubt you'd see the Spurs sitting so many players if they sat any at all.

Stern doesn't need to get directly involved. A *guideline* would have been sufficient.

IE, Note to Winick -- do NOT schedule the following Marquee teams at the end of 4 in 5's when they play each other if they are Nationally Televised.

Back to backs are unavoidable. Televised games at the end of 4 in 5's between Marquee teams are NOT unavoidable considering only ONE 4 in 5 is allowed per team.

Oh, I perfectly appreciate it. Lots of companies deal with HUGE amounts of data and information, with far more difficult tasks in terms of co-ordination and logistics.

I just don't buy it when you're saying that it's too difficult to manage for a Multi-billion dollar company like the NBA. I'm sure they spend more on Stern's hotel accomodations than they do for this guy to work out the schedule.

I don't care how big or rich your company is, that doesn't mean everything can always work out with the number of variables to work out. Do you have a copy of the arena schedules? Can you really say without one shadow of a doubt that this was absolutely avoidable?

Further, the only reason this even is an issue is because the Spurs players are old. You can't blame Stern or the schedule maker for San Antonio employeeing players who can't handle the rigors of the schedule. They had some relatively weak competition leading up to this game and a day off tomorrow.

Again, if Pop wants to limit his players minutes or keep them out altogether, I say fine, BUT you don't allow a team to send 4 healthy players home and essentially concede the game/disappoint fans and the network who paid for a marquee matchup. That is bad for competition and the brand - things Stern is very much involved with.

Auseranami
the spurs are lame. They are old and this event proves my point. they cant even play a full season without pulling out 4 starters all at once. just lame and arrogant from pop. By the way spurs always get the lowest ratings for years now. so yes i know my basketball. you are just a stern hater who hates everything he says or does. stern is correct here

You are just a spur hater who hates everything they say or do. Stern is in the wrong here.

LOOTERX9
Pop doesn't owe fans anything. He owes the franchise a championship, so he's going to do what he needs to do to win a chip. If he needs to rest his players against a team that is in a different conference so they can be fresh for a team that poses a threat not only in their conference, but in their division, then he's gonna do that.

And this is why he's an arrogant prick. I've seen coaches rest players before but not like this. not with every one sitting out at once this early in the season. If he's to stupid/arrogant to see why stern would be upset then he really needs to be fined. it's not all about pop. it's about the integrity of the league as a whole

magic0320
11-30-2012, 04:04 AM
i will cry in joy when this fa g got is gone for good.

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 04:05 AM
And this is why he's an arrogant prick. I've seen coaches rest players before but not like this. not with every one sitting out at once this early in the season. If he's to stupid/arrogant to see why stern would be upset then he really needs to be fined. it's not all about pop. it's about the integrity of the league as a whole

You are stupid and arrogant. He didn't compromise integrity. This was about winning more games. That's the opposite of compromising integrity.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 04:06 AM
You are just a spur hater who hates everything they say or do. Stern is in the wrong here.

Tell me this, would You think it's right for pop to do something like this on Christmas. Those christmas day games are very important to the marketing of the league. Stern has to protect the nba brand

oballers
11-30-2012, 04:06 AM

Agreed. And by the same logic Stern owes it to the fans, networks, advertisers etc... to putout the best possible product on any given night. If Pop wants to undermine that then he gets fined. Simple.

I guess it wouldn't matter so much if the league and the networks etc... didn7t charge more money for games that they consider to be 'Premium' due to the strength of their teams and their 'star power' but they do. So if your gonna market games that way and charge more for them then barring injury you gotta deliver the project.

Guppyfighter
11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
The backing of stern here is absolutely ridiculous.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=Guppyfighter;24516965]You are stupid and arrogant. He didn't compromise integrity. This was about winning more games. That's the opposite of compromising integrity.[/QUOTE

If yall agree its ok for pop to do this on the marquee christmas day game then fine. but if not yall cant find it ok for him to do it here. cause whats to stop him or any coach from destroying christmas day games by sending players home? there has to be some kind of check on this.

LOOTERX9
11-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Agreed. And by the same logic Stern owes it to the fans, networks, advertisers etc... to putout the best possible product on any given night. If Pop wants to undermine that then he gets fined. Simple.

I guess it wouldn't matter so much if the league and the networks etc... didn7t charge more money for games that they consider to be 'Premium' due to the strength of their teams and their 'star power' but they do. So if your gonna market games that way and charge more for them then barring injury you gotta deliver the project.

man these kids don't get that these are highly paid for showcase games for the NBA. and for Pop to just dismiss this game like he did is an absolute Disgrace.