PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Madson signs with Angels, 1 year $3.5M. closer?

SpecialFNK
11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
from rotoworld.

Angels signed RHP Ryan Madson to a one-year, $3.5 million contract.
Madson could earn an additional $2.5 million in roster bonuses and another $1 million based on games finished. Per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, the roster bonuses are based on number of days on the active roster. If all goes well, he could max out at $7 million. Madson had his Tommy John surgery in the early part of April, so he could be ready to start the season as the Angels' closer if he can avoid setbacks. Ernesto Frieri will likely head back to a set-up role.
I saw the news that Ryan Madson has signed a 1 year deal with the Angels.
but who closes? Madson? or Ernesto Frieri?
Frieri was dominationg with the Angels last season. 13.36 K/9 overall. although he did have 4.09 BB/9. even as dominating as he was, at times he still seemed to be sharing the role with Scott Downs.
if given the closers role all to himself I think Frieri could be one of the top closers in baseball. but these terms with Madson I'm assuming he gets the first chance to be the closer?

natepro
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
If healthy and effective, it'll be Madson. If not, Frieri and/or Downs.

Infamous916
11-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Madson was solid for the Phillies in 2011, if he can return to close or similar form then Angels got a deal.

Jeffy25
11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
I wish I could make 11 million dollars, miss an entire year with an injury, and then get signed again for over 3 million dollars.

Question to Reds fans. Was Madson hanging out with the team at all last year? Or did he just rehab from home?

Jeffy25
11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
btw, this is an excellent signing for the Angels, it's a steal in a half, and I was hopeful the Cardinals would snag him.