PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks

Guppyfighter
11-29-2012, 03:43 AM
The Dallas Mavericks are currently 6-8 with a differential of -2.3 with a strength of schedule of 450.

I have heard most still think they will make the playoffs or be competitive till the end of the season. At least when Dirk gets back.

However, does Dirk Nowitzki really fix this poor Dallas team play? Does he get them back on track?

I am hard pressed to find optimism in this Dallas team.

gatkins11
11-29-2012, 04:49 AM
They're 6-8 with few returning players from last year's team and their all-world power forward out. It could be a lot worse and I would say most people were probably expecting worse from Dallas.

Skizzik
11-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Dirk doesn't suddenly turn us in to a contender. But we're 6-8 as you mention, with a few close losses (two in overtime). How is it unrealistic to think he can't move us from just below .500 to a bottom seeded playoff team?

GiantsSwaGG
11-29-2012, 05:02 AM
They aren't that good

SportsFanatic10
11-29-2012, 05:29 AM
i can see them possibly sneaking in the playoff picture at the 8 maybe 7 seed but it'll be tough. there's some good competition for those spots in the west with jazz/warriors/t'wolves/rockets/blazers. i think the top 6 seeds will be some order of thunder/grizz/spurs/clips/lakers/nuggets. dirks gonna have to light a fire under them cause their level of play has dipped lately.

Lakerhead4ever
11-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Well they just signed Derek fisher so I think that automatically puts them past the thunder

SportsFanatic10
11-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Well they just signed Derek fisher so I think that automatically puts them past the thunder

lol yep! his championship pedigree definitely puts them over the top!

Skizzik
11-29-2012, 05:47 AM
i can see them possibly sneaking in the playoff picture at the 8 maybe 7 seed but it'll be tough. there's some good competition for those spots in the west with jazz/warriors/t'wolves/rockets/blazers. i think the top 6 seeds will be some order of thunder/grizz/spurs/clips/lakers/nuggets. dirks gonna have to light a fire under them cause their level of play has dipped lately.

Well, if you took the time to watch, you'd know our biggest struggle is our inability to shoot. Dirk will open players up more and certainly improve our offense. Our defense needs work, but right now, our offense has broke 100 points 4 times in the last 11 games (one of those four times took over time). We've also put up less than 90 points 4 times in that same span.

Our other major issue is rebounding. We regularly get out rebounded. Dirk will also help with that. Part of our defensive issue comes from a lack of rebounds which allow for easy put backs and wide open shots when the defense collapses or leaks out on a shot attempt.

As I said above, it won't magically make us contenders. But we should realistically be in the hunt for the playoffs. Then again, I'd rather we fall short and get a lottery pick. Being the 8th seed in the playoffs won't help us any in the future and we're very likely to see a short series if we do make it.

SportsFanatic10
11-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Well, if you took the time to watch, you'd know our biggest struggle is our inability to shoot. Dirk will open players up more and certainly improve our offense. Our defense needs work, but right now, our offense has broke 100 points 4 times in the last 11 games (one of those four times took over time). We've also put up less than 90 points 4 times in that same span.

Our other major issue is rebounding. We regularly get out rebounded. Dirk will also help with that. Part of our defensive issue comes from a lack of rebounds which allow for easy put backs and wide open shots when the defense collapses or leaks out on a shot attempt.

As I said above, it won't magically make us contenders. But we should realistically be in the hunt for the playoffs. Then again, I'd rather we fall short and get a lottery pick. Being the 8th seed in the playoffs won't help us any in the future and we're very likely to see a short series if we do make it.

where did i disagree with anything you said?

xxcubs22xx
11-29-2012, 06:19 AM
I think they can still manage the 7th seed maybe the 8th. Their record doesn't say a whole lot at this point.

kdspurman
11-29-2012, 09:06 AM

TBH, I don't see how Dirk helps that much on the boards, it's not like he's a great rebounder. As a 7 footer, he's only at a 8.3 RPG for his career. I wouldn't consider that one of his strengths.

But I do agree with you, a spot in the playoffs is definitely in reach and not out of the question by any means.

Lakers4life08
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
They won a race for Derek Ficher.....now Dirk don't need to be rushed back until he will be 100%,Ficher will take care dallas offense....my prediction if Derek Ficher won't get injured,dallas will finish season 3 in the west with 55 wins and 27 losses

Chronz
11-29-2012, 01:14 PM
TBH, I don't see how Dirk helps that much on the boards, it's not like he's a great rebounder. As a 7 footer, he's only at a 8.3 RPG for his career. I wouldn't consider that one of his strengths.

But I do agree with you, a spot in the playoffs is definitely in reach and not out of the question by any means.

Offensive and defensive rebounding are different skills. Dirk has usually been a strong defensive rebounder.

ClearSoulForce
11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
People seem to forget that Dirk averages nearly 11 rebounds per game in 120 or so career playoff games. Can't rebound my ***.

Ebbs
11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Umm one of the leagues best players will make a huge difference yea...

Also Kaman, Brand, Collison, Marion have all been hurt. I think we're a low playoff seed

JasonJohnHorn
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
The MAvs should be able to get into the playoffs should Dirk be back before the new year. This roster has some bright spots, but it's not winning as many games as they need to. You HAVE to have at least a .500 record to make it into the post season in the West, and even that is not good enough sometimes.

the sooner Dirk comes back the better. They can then bring Brand off the bench, and keep both guys fresh for the full 48 minutes. Kaman has been playing well and Mayo will take some pressure off of dirk when he returns, but they NEDD DRIK BACK ASAP!!!!

LongWayFromHome
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
In 2010-11 the Mavs started 24-5.

Then Dirk was out and they went 2-7

After he returned they were 30-11. And won the ship.

He may not end up being 2011 Dirk but I just wanted to point out the facts.

Lim
11-29-2012, 04:52 PM
I like what they did bringing in mayo and collison. I think cuban is trying to mimic the spurs putting youth and potential around his aging stars. marion dirk kaman mayo collison with brand vc & co off the bench, should make the playoffs with that roster imo.

Gram
11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
The Dallas Gramericks.

LTBaByyy
11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
People really acting Dirk is just a regular player

He alone puts us in the playoffs easily, not a contender though

We have a lot of hustle players and the only scorer is Mayo who has been hurt the last week

We need help and the help is a MVP, Finals MVP, Future hall of Famer Nowitzki

LTBaByyy
11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Good thing is we have teams like Pistons, Suns, Rockets, Kings, Raptors, T Wolves coming up