PDA

View Full Version : Offensively Enept Omer Asik is average a double double for 3 million less than noah

Harden's Beard
11-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Alot of people i talk to prior to the season start had say that Omer cant shoot, he suck, he cant play 30+ minutes, the bulls were right to let him go,but now i think they have seen the errors in their way, this guy is a legit NBA start, and the bulls should have better handled the situation between him and the joakim noah

currently omer is average 10 pts, 12 rebounds 8 free throw attempts per game and 1.2 blocks

while joakim noah is also playing good and is pretty much on the par with omer, while averaging 4 assists per game, omer would have been the cheaper option

i am of the belief that joakim has pretty much peaked at this point of his career, he is what he is, a really good nba center who can do things on both ends of the court, and who, at this point is probably the better player of the 2

but omer asik is younger and has not even entered his prime yet, this is just his 3rd nba season and first as a start

joakim makes 10 million + per season and in 3 years will be making 13 million dollars. and we all know at some point this season, he going to get injured, which happens like clock work with him, either a thumb injury or some ankle or something stupiid

i was of the opinion that they should have moved joakim in a deal to acquire a nice piece like a kevin martin or maybe even in some sort of package to get a rudy gay or somehting. some kind of player who could have fitted better next to rose for when he comes back

while letting omer start and develop

even i had not expected omer to attract such attention this year and perform, i mean 8 ft attempts a game? even though he only makes 60%, think of all the foul trouble he cause

i felt that he would have been the better option, and they should have matched the deal even with the poision drill because that same year he would have been making 15 million, kevin love would be in the last year of his deal as well

i felt maybe u can construct a deal around omer who is expiring, the 2016 unprotecteded bobcats pick for love or somehting at that point

but anyway, this is all water under the bridge, let us celebrate omer, he is playing great, people talk bad about him, say he would foul out at half time, said he couldnt score, this and that, look at him now

a top 10 nba center, who is only in his 3rd season and first as start

jmoney85
11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
in the grand scheme of things.... whats 3 million bucks... its not a significant amount on an nba salary cap

Gram
11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Omer Asik.

waveycrockett
11-28-2012, 06:01 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again Asik is at worst just as good as Noah. Noah is extremely overrated.

AddiX
11-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Asik proved me wrong, one of the best pick ups of The off season so far. I didn't think he was this good.

waveycrockett
11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Asik proved me wrong, one of the best pick ups of The off season so far. I didn't think he was this good.

If you watched him play you knew whats up. He is the new Gortat. All he needed was the minutes.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
This is stupid.

At that time Noah was the better player.
What asik is doing is phenomenal but don't pretend as if this was forecasted.

Not many GM would give up a sure thing (Noah), and gamble on a player like asik whose potential was unknown.

I'm glad asik is BALLIN tho. Love the Turkish dude.

bholly
currently omer is average 10 pts, 12 rebounds 8 free throw attempts per game and 1.2 blocks

'inept'. also he isn't averaging close to 8FTA - it's 4.3 at the moment.

but yeah, he's been good. especially pleased he hasn't had as much foul trouble as people were expecting.

Harden's Beard
i appologize, i mean 4 ft attempts, not 8

8 fg attempts sorry

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I think Patrick Patterson is the one that benefits from all this.
He's on my fantasy n just BALLIN as well.

justinnum1
11-28-2012, 06:10 PM
it was a mistake to let asik go imo

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Patterson's last 5 games- 22,10,20,19,14 on 55% fg, and 44% 3.

Not bad.

ChiSox219
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM

The Bulls entire offseason was a mistake.

NYYCowboys
I can't even read the OP. It looks like a 2nd grader wrote it.

5ass
Should've resigned asik and traded noah for a sg.

jmoney85
I can't even read the OP. It looks like a 2nd grader wrote it.

lol

AsfanSince99
11-28-2012, 06:15 PM

The Bulls didn't want to let him go, but the Rockets' GM, did his contract the same way he did Lin's, so it made it difficult for their teams to match the contract.

topdog
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I still take Noah and Chicago definitely is smart to stick with the known commodity unless there was some great trade out there to be made.

Osik seems to be the better defensive rebounder. Their offensive rebound numbers are nearly identical as well as their teams' FG%s and RPG (Chicago is 8th and Houston 5th).

They are shooting about the same number of free throws, but Noah is making more - 78% versus 61.7%.

Asik is averaging 6 fewer minutes but also trails Noah in assists, steals and blocks by 2.7, 0.8 and 1 respectively while Noah is averaging 0.7 fewer turnovers as well.

Finally, Noah has the better PER at 18.5 versus Asik's 12.9 and the better offensive/defensive ratings of 110/98 versus 94/101.

Nothing suggests that either one can't improve upon his game and so I would say Noah is worth the extra $3M a year. I have never liked Noah (something about his personality and ugly face) but a lot of teams made a mistake passing on him in '07 especially considering he was the projected #1 pick had he come out the year before

Harden's Beard
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
sorry to anyone who is unable to hear me, im not from here so i hope you can make considerations for my unpropper mistake

JNoel
11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
sorry to anyone who is unable to hear me, im not from here so i hope you can make considerations for my unpropper mistake

Turkish?

SouthSideRookie
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Ignore any Knick fan that doesn't have anything good to say. Me and you know why.

NJrockPD
11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
This is stupid.

Not many GM would give up a sure thing (Noah), and gamble on a player like asik whose potential was unknown.

Agreed. I love how the kid who said Noah was overrated has a Linsanity sig. Irony.

AsfanSince99
11-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Don't worry about it, at least you're contributing to the discussion. And that's how you'll get better. Keep posting, I understood it.

Harden's Beard
11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Turkish?

nu destul, eu sunt din România

:)

Harden's Beard
11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Don't worry about it, at least you're contributing to the discussion. And that's how you'll get better. Keep posting, I understood it.

thank you, word like this give me more encouagment , everything get better with time

topdog
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Turkish?

nu destul, eu sunt din România

:)

I think he just said he's a Roman Emperor :p

Harden's Beard
11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I think he just said he's a Roman Emperor :p

hahahahaaha maybe in a few years yes :D

alexander_37
11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
When I heard Morey was trying to get Asik in a trade from the Bulls I screamed like a little girl....

basketfan4life
11-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Ömer is making me proud. That's all i'm gonna say.

Chill_Will_24
11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Asik is a difference maker. DPOY type player. Elite level D with a developing offensive game. See the sig

Chronz
11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Isnt Noah balling right now? Asik was a good option, wish all those who were hating the pick let themselves be known but hes still not a good offensive player. He sets great picks tho.

Nick O
11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Noah is very overated Asik is underrated... Asik>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Noah .. p.s what is the dead animal on Noahs head?

chicagocubsfan
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Asik is in the top 15 in turnovers while he is what the 4th option on the team? His hands are made of brick and that plagued him with the Bulls. Sure he is playing really well right now, but Noah is more of a sparkplug for the Bulls while Rose is out.

abe_froman
11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Noah is very overated Asik is underrated... Asik>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Noah .. p.s what is the dead animal on Noahs head?

i think you might wanna check that again.

noah is beating asik in nearly every stat category except rebounding this year so far.i love asik,and glad to see him doing well and it sucks that he had to go,but it was an inevitability as he was too go to be a career back up....but the "mistake" of not matching the rockets offer to keep him is getting greatly overstated on here

abe_froman
11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Isnt Noah balling right now? Asik was a good option, wish all those who were hating the pick let themselves be known but hes still not a good offensive player. He sets great picks tho.

yes,but shush, you know that reality doesnt matter in this forum

Yunqn
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Here we go..

Everyone now hop on the omer express..i been making threads & posting about it when he was here in chicago only to get bashed.. Theres some others too..

The front office is too cocky with their approach on everything. They should have kept omer.. Traded noah & then later traded taj and amnestied boozer..we wouldve kept deng ..

Noah couldve got traded for eric gordon who wanted out .. Or a package to houston for james harden coming our way and our picks & kmart still going to the thunder..

The bulls couldve had a million options with resiging asik because his contract was 5 mil for the 1st 2 years..

uptown0364
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Omer would have cost the Bulls 30 million in year 3 with the luxury tax implications. It's not like we can trade Noah for someone with no salary so you can't compare the two like it was an easy front office choice. The Rockets took advantage of how the tax was structured so they got a nice piece without having to pay him 30 million in year 3.

astrosmaniac
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
i think you might wanna check that again.

noah is beating asik in nearly every stat category except rebounding this year so far.i love asik,and glad to see him doing well and it sucks that he had to go,but it was an inevitability as he was too go to be a career back up....but the "mistake" of not matching the rockets offer to keep him is getting greatly overstated on here

except for his defense. there really isnt a good defensive metric since DRtg is as much a function of youre whole team as it is you're own play. Asik has probably been the best defensive C in the league so far

astrosmaniac
11-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Here we go..

Everyone now hop on the omer express..i been making threads & posting about it when he was here in chicago only to get bashed.. Theres some others too..

The front office is too cocky with their approach on everything. They should have kept omer.. Traded noah & then later traded taj and amnestied boozer..we wouldve kept deng ..

Noah couldve got traded for eric gordon who wanted out .. Or a package to houston for james harden coming our way and our picks & kmart still going to the thunder..

The bulls couldve had a million options with resiging asik because his contract was 5 mil for the 1st 2 years..

do you really believe that? houston has always wanted Asik over noah. heck the last 2 years at the trade deadline there were strong rumors that Morey was trying to pry him away from Chicago but didn't want to give up Lee

Hawkeye15
11-28-2012, 07:36 PM

It was all about avoiding the tax with a lost season, while Rose recovers. But I do agree with you to an extent.

tr3ymill3r
11-28-2012, 07:42 PM
As mentioned in one of the other threads, they should have traded Deng and Noah for Melo and kept Asik.

KH12
11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Asik: 50.6 TS%, 46.2 eFG%

So yeah, still offensively inept. Career low numbers for the Turkish Hammer.

Only his PER, DRB%, TRB% and AST% are better than his career averages.

DaBUU
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

preach :(

DaBUU
11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
It was all about avoiding the tax with a lost season, while Rose recovers. But I do agree with you to an extent.

they had to make personal changes due to cap issues, agreed, but they have seemingly failed on the changes they made. still early I know, but i don't see our problems getting better, even when Derrick gets back. Some Bulls fans won't admit this, I know.

KH12
11-28-2012, 07:54 PM
they had to make personal changes due to cap issues, agreed, but they have seemingly failed on the changes they made. still early I know, but i don't see our problems getting better, even when Derrick gets back. Some Bulls fans won't admit this, I know.
That's an opinion until proven right or wrong, people have different opinions than you. Relax.

DaBUU
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
That's an opinion until proven right or wrong, people have different opinions than you. Relax.

No need to take it personal KH, I'm relaxed, but very disappointed. I know what I'm looking at, every game.

TyrionLannister
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd still take Noah over him, but in hindsight I'd rather have Asik than Taj.

KH12
11-28-2012, 07:59 PM
That's the real debate, IMO. I still would have gone with Taj because of the Boozer situation though.

DaBUU
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM

yeah agreed. I hate the cap.

MonroeFAN
11-28-2012, 09:18 PM
this topic is incredibly stupid, Noah is 10x the player Asik is.

It's not 2k.

JasonJohnHorn
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I thought the Bulls should have kept them both, that teams makes enough money they can afford it.

That said, if I had to choose one, I would go with Noah. Asik might even be the better rebounder (I think it's fair to say he is), and he might be just as good on defence (I would give the edge to Noah because he doesn't commit as many fouls, though Asik has made a huge improvement in that sense this season), but what Noah has is the ability to pass the ball well for a big man, and while he isn't an offensive juggernaut, he is MUCH better than Asik.

Asik is still a great deal though. If you have a roster with enough scorers and such, like say the 04 Pistons, then you dont need much from your center on that end of the court, and Asik provides stellar rebounding and solid defence.

Aside from the play making Noah provides, he aslo commits fewer turnovers... so... Asik gives up a little in some areas that might make him problematic at time. Is it worth get 1 or two more rebounds if you commit 1 or 2 more turnovers AND 1 or 2 more fouls? I dunno...

Ezekial
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
I loved Omer on the bulls, he deserved to go somewhere else though, but i sure miss that that big Turkish goon.

NYYCowboys
11-29-2012, 04:54 AM
this topic is incredibly stupid, Noah is 10x the player Asik is.

It's not 2k.

Nope wrong. I'd say it's very close. Noah's defensive metrics aren't even that great, and that's what he is known for. At this point in their careers going forward give me Asik.

GiantsSwaGG
11-29-2012, 04:56 AM
I remember when Chris Duhon started off great.

kyubi256
11-29-2012, 04:58 AM
I'd still take Noah. He's more proven commodity although with the injuries the gap is closing.

And I like Taj Gibson personally. Great defender

TopsyTurvy
11-29-2012, 05:28 AM
I wanted to move Noah before he was re-signed knowing full well that his contract would have roster/salary locked the Bulls. That said, I would not have moved Noah for Asik. I would have bitten the bullet on Asik's deal, kept him and Noah, and instead looked to move Taj.

xxcubs22xx
11-29-2012, 06:17 AM
:laugh:

This thread is stupid.

Noah is a better shooter, and good free throw shooter. Noah is at 78% from the line vs. Asik's abysmal 57%. Each player is shooting +6% from their career avg.

Noah has a superior all around game in comparison to Asik, hands down. The difference in SALARY is overrated, NOT Noah.

I would have liked to keep Asik over Taj though.

rex.reyesiii
11-29-2012, 07:21 AM
That last injury he got told me Noah is a Bonehead. *took the ball coast to coast instead of passing it to the PG or something.

So far Asik is better and I don't think he made any bonehead move yet. :P

KNICKS R BACK
11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
hell no...aasik sucks, those numbers wont last and he isnt worth anything close to the contract he got

JiffyMix88
11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Hindsight is a great feature that 18 people on here have that I wish I did....

Daunter
11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Noah has hands,can shoot the midrange,is a very good passer,has good dribble for a center and hits his free-Throws.

gaughan333
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Noah was also already signed...

monty77
11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Maybe Asik is better rebounder than Noah, but Joakim is clearly better in other aspects of the game such as: scoring (15 vs 10), blocking (2 vs 1)and assisting (4 vs 1). Besides you must remind that both of them have 27 and Noah has a much more successful career than Omer so far.

I find it strange that Asik only average 1 block per game this year and Noah more of 2. Further, Noah is averaging his higher career assist per game (more than 4) while Asik only average one. Is evident that Noah has much more IQ than Omer.

Either is going to have a long career in NBA but the French has more many skills than the Turkish. Leadership, mental strength, capacity of bullying are just other examples.

Furthermore, if you break this rebounding starts down, you will find out that Noah take more offensive rebound than Asik. So it isn't so clear that Asik is better rebounder than him as Noah share this duty with Boozer (10 rebounds per game) while Asik is the only rebounder player in Houston.

b@llhog24
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Noah is still better than Asik.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I still take Noah and Chicago definitely is smart to stick with the known commodity unless there was some great trade out there to be made.

Osik seems to be the better defensive rebounder. Their offensive rebound numbers are nearly identical as well as their teams' FG%s and RPG (Chicago is 8th and Houston 5th).

They are shooting about the same number of free throws, but Noah is making more - 78% versus 61.7%.

Asik is averaging 6 fewer minutes but also trails Noah in assists, steals and blocks by 2.7, 0.8 and 1 respectively while Noah is averaging 0.7 fewer turnovers as well.

Finally, Noah has the better PER at 18.5 versus Asik's 12.9 and the better offensive/defensive ratings of 110/98 versus 94/101.

Nothing suggests that either one can't improve upon his game and so I would say Noah is worth the extra $3M a year. I have never liked Noah (something about his personality and ugly face) but a lot of teams made a mistake passing on him in '07 especially considering he was the projected #1 pick had he come out the year before

This

BKLYNpigeon
11-29-2012, 11:20 AM
it doesnt matter what the number are...

I would pay 3 million dollars more for Noah's Hustle, Leadership and Energy.

petersmagic12
11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
it doesnt matter what the number are...

I would pay 3 million dollars more for Noah's Hustle, Leadership and Energy.

That would be exactly my point. Take away all the numbers and stats. Noah energizes the bulls and gives them the spark they need.

The bulls will be fine i predicted they would play 500 ball till rose came back they proved last season they could win regular season games without rose. Bulls fan just have to hope that rose does loose too many steps.

I like omer I think he was good pick up for houston and very underrated. But he is like Gortat he had to go to show his true potential otherwise he would be playing ten minutes a game behind Noah and thats the reality.

DreamShaker
11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
This is stupid.

This. You had to go with the proven guy.

mightybosstone
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
I love what Asik has done since coming to Houston, but I still think Noah is the better overall player right now (because of his huge edge offensively) and I don't think you trade the guy you know is very good to promote the guy who could potentially be good just to pay him slightly less money. I do think there were signs to indicate that Asik would be very good in a starting role, but no way to know how good, and Noah is the better player right no, regardless.

Once Asik gets a better handle on the ball, quits turning it over so much and makes more of his high percentage shots, he should be a very serviceable offensive player. He's got much more skill on that end that I expected, and there have been more than a few times that he's put the ball on the floor and made a move to get to the rim. But he's still very raw and clumsy, so that has to improve.

SouthSideRookie
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
hell no...aasik sucks, those numbers wont last and he isnt worth anything close to the contract he got

I heard this alot before the season started. Durability issues, foul prone and terrible offensive player along with bad free throw shooting.

He just needs improvement in one of those categories. He's been a great addition to the team.

Thegame187
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I was a big fan of this trade fro Houston from the start, and always expected him to score around 10pts per game (as a starting Center you kind of do anyway with put backs, the odd defense breakdown that leaves him unguarded, collecting that many off boards, and of course hacking a guy known as bad free throw shooter). So first off I don't think its a huge surprise to many ppl in Houston or Chi that he is putting up the numbers he is. However you need to remember that at the time of the trade (and still now) the bulls were looking at contending for a title this year and next. At the start of this year, and still now Noah is the better player. They knew what they were giving up, but they could only afford 1 of them, I think they would still be happy with Noah's game (he plays hard all night and is a warrior).

All that said, I was surprised at how quickly Asik was able to silence everyone who moaned about his 'bad' contract, and compared it to Lins (The numbers on the price tag of the contract may have been the same, but the risk in the two players was very different. One guy had played solid backup minutes for a contender for a few seasons with great success, the other played a handful of games where he was outstanding and showed that maybe he COULD be something special, he also came with a link into a huge market that the Rockets still had strong ties to)

Procision
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Noah is without question better than Asik and I liked Asik on the Bulls.

kozelkid
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

It's always been about avoiding the tax; that's Jerry Reinsdorf for you.

Anyway, I might have been one of the biggest Asik fans as a Bulls fan, but as far as who is better (especially for the Bulls) it's undoubtedly Noah. The only way Asik would have held more value is if we had enough offense in the other 4 positions; we don't, plain and simple.

astrosmaniac
11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe Asik is better rebounder than Noah, but Joakim is clearly better in other aspects of the game such as: scoring (15 vs 10), blocking (2 vs 1)and assisting (4 vs 1). Besides you must remind that both of them have 27 and Noah has a much more successful career than Omer so far.

I find it strange that Asik only average 1 block per game this year and Noah more of 2. Further, Noah is averaging his higher career assist per game (more than 4) while Asik only average one. Is evident that Noah has much more IQ than Omer.

Either is going to have a long career in NBA but the French has more many skills than the Turkish. Leadership, mental strength, capacity of bullying are just other examples.

Furthermore, if you break this rebounding starts down, you will find out that Noah take more offensive rebound than Asik. So it isn't so clear that Asik is better rebounder than him as Noah share this duty with Boozer (10 rebounds per game) while Asik is the only rebounder player in Houston.
Blocks mean absolutely nothing in terms of defensive impact. Asik is easily the better defender and rebounder and Noah is easily the better offensive guy IMO. And assists for a big man doesn't tell you about B-Ball IQ. I don't see the bills play a lot but I'm guessing Noah gets the ball to post up quite a bit or at the high post. Asik is out setting picks literally every play and gets quite a bit of his baskets on rolls to the basket (which doesn't exactly lend itself to being a high assist % role on offense)

Shammyguy3
11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
there's also a reason why Asik is never given the ball at the top of the key, or in the post, and is literally ONLY used to set picks offensively. It's because Noah can do those things, well, and Asik can't do those things at all.