PDA

View Full Version : Most valuable role player in the NBA

JNoel
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Basically the player who doesn't put up flashy numbers, but rather their importance/impact to their respective teams

SteBO
11-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Jamal Crawford. (More of a glorified role player if you ask me)

Ebbs
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Tony Allen, Joakim Noah, Andy Varejao, Serge Ibaka.

HouRealCoach
11-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Tony Allen & Tyson Chandler comes to mind first

Pierzynski4Prez
11-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Ibaka and Chandler come to mind

SteBO
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I misread the thread title. My list.....

Tyson Chandler (defensive anchor/surprisingly a factor on offense in a way)
Serge Ibaka (OKC's help defense may suffer a bit)
Tony Allen (The perimeter D for MEM would take a big blow without him I would think)
Jamal Crawford (So far this year, whenever Jamal had a terrible game, LAC would lose)

jmoney85
11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
gerald wallace

DanG
11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I misread the thread title. My list.....

Tyson Chandler (defensive anchor/surprisingly a factor on offense in a way)
Serge Ibaka (OKC's help defense may suffer a bit)
Tony Allen (The perimeter D for MEM would take a big blow without him I would think)
Jamal Crawford (So far this year, whenever Jamal had a terrible game, LAC would lose)

this

ChiTownPacerFan
11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Ray Allen?

PleaseBeNice
11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Kevin Martin

mightybosstone
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure about this season because I haven't had a chance to watch every team or see much basketball outside of the Rockets. But for last year, it was Battier. The dude absolutely stepped up in the playoffs and well overachieved beyond his ability. That's the sign of a good role player to me, someone who can play his role when asked, but go to an entirely other level in big moments when required.

mightybosstone
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Some of these answers to me don't make sense. If you're making $10-$15 million a year and playing 35+ minutes every night, you are not a role player. To me, a role player is a guy who excels at 1-2 things, gets maybe 25-30 minutes max every night, is hardly ever in the spotlight and makes maybe $6-8 million a year maximum.

stawka
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
D-Wade LOL

Seriously though, I'd say Chandler. Brings so much on the defensive end, he changed the culture of this Knicks team and his previous Mavs tea

ChongInc.
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
calderon.

SteBO
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Some of these answers to me don't make sense. If you're making $10-$15 million a year and playing 35+ minutes every night, you are not a role player. To me, a role player is a guy who excels at 1-2 things, gets maybe 25-30 minutes max every night, is hardly ever in the spotlight and makes maybe $6-8 million a year maximum.
I see what you're saying, but it's very much possible to be a "key cog" and a "role player". Tyson Chandler for instance does excell at two things, defense and rebounding. Even though he makes double figure salary, and is playing under the spotlight in NY, he still only excels at those two areas. To me, that's what a role player signifies. I guess it depends on how you define it, but given that he isn't a featured player on offense and isn't a guy you run plays for, he qualifies as a role player at least to me.

asandhu23
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Ekpe Udoh.

jmoney85
11-28-2012, 04:09 PM
D-Wade LOL

Seriously though, I'd say Chandler. Brings so much on the defensive end, he changed the culture of this Knicks team and his previous Mavs tea

overrated

Thegame187
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM
if you are one of the 4 main guys (could argue 6) in your team you aint a role player. Reggie Evans is a role player, Matt Barnes is a role player. Tyson Chandler is the Knicks 3rd main player (and 2nd main active player). By that method Dwight Howard is doing ok as a role player in LA, Tim Duncan is having a great impact as a role player in SA

Tyson Chandler role player FFS......

LongIslandIcedZ
11-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Cant really answer until there is a defined definition of role player.

How many players excel at everything? Not many.

Chandler was a role player on Dallas and he is in NY. He has 2 roles to do, and he does them well. He's just a very valuable role player.

jmoney85
11-28-2012, 04:30 PM
tyson chandler is "anchoring" a middle of the pack defensive team

Chronz
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure about this season because I haven't had a chance to watch every team or see much basketball outside of the Rockets. But for last year, it was Battier. The dude absolutely stepped up in the playoffs and well overachieved beyond his ability. That's the sign of a good role player to me, someone who can play his role when asked, but go to an entirely other level in big moments when required.

You mean a role player who doesnt show up until the Final few games if his team is able to withstand his absence long enough to get there? Hes valuable because without him the whole play Bron at the 4 thing falls apart and thats pretty valuable. I just take issue with the "Stepping up" thing, I suppose when you play like trash all year to explode the way he did in the Finals was huge but to me he underachieved all year.

Deezy3
11-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Tony Allen.

mightybosstone
11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
You mean a role player who doesnt show up until the Final few games if his team is able to withstand his absence long enough to get there? Hes valuable because without him the whole play Bron at the 4 thing falls apart and thats pretty valuable. I just take issue with the "Stepping up" thing, I suppose when you play like trash all year to explode the way he did in the Finals was huge but to me he underachieved all year.

This is a good point and I expected somebody to bring it up. But you already made half my point for me. Battier's range and defense allows Lebron to play PF offensively. It also allows Lebron to play more of a help defense role at time than one-on-one.

But back to the "stepping up" argument. If you HAD to have a role player step up when they did, could you ask for anything more than what Battier gave them in the postseason last year? Was there a single more valuable role player in the playoffs than Shane Battier? I'd say no. And would you rather have a guy give you 8/4/2 in 20 minutes a night for an entire regular season or have a guy play like crap and then completely explode in the playoffs?

Rockice_8
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Reggie Evans for me. Wasn't a huge fan of the signing thinking he would be a spot min guy now he's close to passing Hump on the depth chart.

Ty_Lawson
11-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Kenneth Faried :D

ManRam
11-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not even certain I'd call Chandler a "role player". He's easily the team's second best player. Sure, he only scores 12 points a game, but he's invaluable in literally every other regard of the game for that team.

It's a hard definition to settle on, I don't even know how I'd define it, but Chandler is NOT a role player this year.

I don't disagree with a lot of guys you have mentioned (like Ray Ray, Tony Allen, Martin, Craw, Ibaka etc.)

I'd say that Humphries is a pretty good role player. He fills his very specific role perfectly, on a team that needs exactly what he provides. Reggie Evans too. Kawhi Leonard and Kenneth Faried come to mind too, but the latter especially might not fit into the "role player" category much longer (or even currently). Brandon Bass and Jason Terry were pretty darn good role players last year, and while not playing quite as great this year, they still are great in their roles. MWP has been solid this year. Kirilenko. Most everyone not named Bron-Wade-Bosh on Miami.

Varajao absolutely isn't a role player this year. He's easily been Cleveland's best player this year. But on a better team with star players with a lesser role, he'd be one of the best.

Il Mago50
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Serge Ibaka without a doubt.

Great midrange shooter to space the floor, great shot blocker, good rebounder, plays within himself.

Baller1
11-28-2012, 05:27 PM
For me, it's Ray Allen and Serge Ibaka by far. Both huge cogs to championship caliber teams. I mean, look what Ray Allen did to poor Cleveland. He's still so damn good.

Chronz
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
But back to the "stepping up" argument. If you HAD to have a role player step up when they did, could you ask for anything more than what Battier gave them in the postseason last year?
When you say post-season you really mean the Finals basically. He shot 29% scored 5.2PPG through the first 16 playoff games when the Heat were in full on desperation mode. Then Bron had that 45PT special to prolong the series, then Battier gos 4/9 from 3 in G.7 to get them to the Finals where he proceeded to shoot the lights out for 4/5 games.

Was there a single more valuable role player in the playoffs than Shane Battier? I'd say no.
Thats just not impressive to me, I mean how many quality role players are really in competition for that title? And how many have the opportunities that Battier had in Miami? Like if guys like Kawhi Leonard, Faried qualify, maybe even Thabo would have been available, I dont see how the Heat dont fare better.

And would you rather have a guy give you 8/4/2 in 20 minutes a night for an entire regular season or have a guy play like crap and then completely explode in the playoffs?

If I knew I would make it to the Finals then I would obviously welcome unprecedented/unforeseen boosts in production from anyone, all else be damned. But it still depends on the difference in quality, I dont think its more valuable than a guy you can count on all year (thus helping our seeding, management of minutes/load on my stars) who can end series sooner and possibly have an outburts of his own at some point. Its a loaded question because the implications of adding a superior player go further than his own productive levels. And we have no way of knowing if other guys could have stepped up in Battier's shoes.

Battier is a fine choice but where is the cutoff for role player?