PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with Anderson Varejao?

Lim
11-28-2012, 12:25 AM
If he played like this during the lebron era lebron would have 17 championships by now.

king4day
11-28-2012, 12:29 AM
He's growing as a player

JasonJohnHorn
11-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Well... it could be suggested that LBJ doesn't make players better, that they are better after he loses ;-)

Just saying.

Armsz10
11-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Because big Z isnt clogging the lane.

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Health and maturity :shrug:

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Because big Z isnt clogging the lane.

With the vast improvements he has made offensively, crashing the glass (especially converting on his offensive rebounds) and even his continued solid defensive play it really matters not who's in the lane he'd still get his own.

Also Cs tend to peak later than guards so its also no surprise that he's playing his best ball after the age of 27.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-28-2012, 12:39 AM
He's the man on the team as of right now (2nd when Irving is playing). He's going to do well.

waveycrockett
11-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Well I agree the Cavs under Mike Brown didn't let Andy develop at all. Brown preferred two statues in the lane in Big Z and Shaq. Is anybody really surprised about that? Dude is a beast and would of been a multiple time allstar had LBJ stayed right now.

Yunqn
11-28-2012, 12:44 AM
They have nobody else to get rebounds.. What do you expect.. A great rebounder with bad rebounders around him is going to put up those numbers here & there .. They also have to get some points from inside besides from slashing & fast breaks..

What do you expect .. A clear cut above average player taking advantage of his teams lack

Lim
11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
hes also making his contract look pretty good right now.

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
They have nobody else to get rebounds.. What do you expect.. A great rebounder with bad rebounders around him is going to put up those numbers here & there .. They also have to get some points from inside besides from slashing & fast breaks..

What do you expect .. A clear cut above average player taking advantage of his teams lack

You expected 15 and 15 from him?

Robbw241
11-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Beast player

Buckwheat
11-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Did anyone else see Byron Scott's post-game interview?

****ing hilarious.

PurpleJesus
11-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Well... it could be suggested that LBJ doesn't make players better, that they are better after he loses ;-)

Just saying.

I dont think that can explain how he has doubled his rebounding numbers.

thekmp211
11-28-2012, 01:33 AM
all star material if he stays healthy. impressive.

thechom80
11-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Work hard. Play hard. He's developing nicely.

GunFactor187
11-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Just curious what's his contract look like?

TeamSeattle
11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
He should be tested for substance abuse is what my gut is telling me but he's playing phenomenal, best of luck to him.

koberulesall
11-28-2012, 02:40 AM
its cause lebron isnt a true franchise player the best players of ALL TIME are the ones that stuck it out with there team that drafted them and won a title for them THATS A NBA LEGEND Kareem(Bucks) Magic(Lakers) Bird(Celtics) Jordan(Bulls) Kobe(Lakers) james(SUCKS)

WITZ
11-28-2012, 02:55 AM

From what i remember it was a 6 year 42 million dollar contract & that's a solid contract for the cavs with the way Varejao has been playing.

Lim
11-28-2012, 03:32 AM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/varejan01.html

scroll to the bottom. pretty cheap considering how he is playing right now.

Baller1
11-28-2012, 04:39 AM
He was going to be on OKC too before he got hurt, and so they had to make a move for Perkins instead. Imagine Varejao on that team... :drool:

thenaj17
11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
He's not that good. So many of you are overreacting. He is all hustle, energy and effort. Not like Cleveland have many options so he's getting a lot more touches.

He's a solid role player and NO MORE

Greedy22
11-28-2012, 07:22 AM
its cause lebron isnt a true franchise player the best players of ALL TIME are the ones that stuck it out with there team that drafted them and won a title for them THATS A NBA LEGEND Kareem(Bucks) Magic(Lakers) Bird(Celtics) Jordan(Bulls) Kobe(Lakers) james(SUCKS) oh god, you can't be serious.

MonroeFAN
11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
How is this different from last season when he averaged the same numbers per minute and lasted all of 20 games?

Justin Guarini has his moments, but he's not a feature big man. Cleveland's roster is flat out disgusting looking, someone has to post numbers.

iliketurtles24
11-28-2012, 09:23 AM
i think he is a quality starter, but all star? i guess dwight isnt over there anymore is he....

benzni
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
silly LeBron.

He should have stayed with them, tanked and then had Varejao, Irving, and the whole cast

SteBO
11-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Andy V is simply getting more touches and opportunities. Mike Brown only knew one offense(Iso 'Bron). It's that simple. I agree with thenaj17, he's a solid role player on a contending team.

bucketss
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
its cause lebron isnt a true franchise player the best players of ALL TIME are the ones that stuck it out with there team that drafted them and won a title for them THATS A NBA LEGEND Kareem(Bucks) Magic(Lakers) Bird(Celtics) Jordan(Bulls) Kobe(Lakers) james(SUCKS)

that is why kobe demanded a trade:)

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 10:12 AM
How is this different from last season when he averaged the same numbers per minute and lasted all of 20 games?

Justin Guarini has his moments, but he's not a feature big man. Cleveland's roster is flat out disgusting looking, someone has to post numbers.

Completely wrong. He's averaging 2 more rebounds and points on far better efficiency while vastly improving his passing game. This whole someone has to post #s argument is absolutely idiotic.

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
He's not that good. So many of you are overreacting. He is all hustle, energy and effort. Not like Cleveland have many options so he's getting a lot more touches.

He's a solid role player and NO MORE

You clearly haven't watched him play this season. I've watch just 2 Cavs games and I could see vast improvements in his offensive awareness, this positioning down low and his mid range game (shooting 50% from the mid range to start the season). His outlet passing was also extremely impressive.

He isn't simply "getting more touches" he is improving as a basketball player in every sense of the word. Getting more touches doesn't make you a better player. His poor teammates are supposed to hurt his efficiency not help.

SteBO
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
You clearly haven't watched him play this season. I've watch just 2 Cavs games and I could see vast improvements in his offensive awareness, this positioning down low and his mid range game (shooting 50% from the mid range to start the season). His outlet passing was also extremely impressive.

He isn't simply "getting more touches" he is improving as a basketball player in every sense of the word. Getting more touches doesn't make you a better player. His poor teammates are supposed to hurt his efficiency not help.
He's for sure improving as a basketball player as well, no doubt about that. Is there any it can be both "more opportunities" and "improvement"? I do think that added touches do help his case though in some ways. He's being featured more along with Kyrie. Funny thing is, I don't think you'd hear many people say that playing Kyrie Irving made him a better player. His play over recent games have shot down that notion......

thenaj17
11-28-2012, 10:25 AM

I have watched him and haven't been that impressed. I didn't say he was a bad player but people are making out like he's some kind of star because he's getting a few extra points and more rebounds.

Some people are getting far too carried away too early.

chrisf975
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Dude is a beast. Anybody saying its easy to put up numbers on a bad team is a fool. But I somewhat agree with the fact that it doesn't mean too much if your team is getting blown out every night.

NYKnickFanatic
11-28-2012, 10:58 AM
If he played like this during the lebron era lebron would have 17 championships by now.

I dont think LeBron or Andy V have been in the league 17+ seasons yet.

NYKnickFanatic
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Anyone think he gets traded to a contender around the trading deadline?

Gram
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyone think he gets traded to a contender around the trading deadline?

I could see OKC making a pitch for him. Making combining expiring contracts (if they have any - I don't know), with somma their firsts. It'd certainly help them I think.

Hellcrooner
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
is easier to put numbers in lottery teams than in contenders?

lebron does not make better those around him? ( strange because i have just the opposite impresion)

chrisf975
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I could see OKC making a pitch for him. Making combining expiring contracts (if they have any - I don't know), with somma their firsts. It'd certainly help them I think.

Help? If they got Varejo that would be huge. OKC's biggest problem is that Perkins sucks. Replacing Perk with Varejo is a significant upgrade.

NYKnickFanatic
11-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Help? If they got Varejo that would be huge. OKC's biggest problem is that Perkins sucks. Replacing Perk with Varejo is a significant upgrade.

So a deal revolving around Perk and fillers?

Baller1
11-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Perk + PJ3/Lamb + a first round pick (not Toronto's).

NYKnickFanatic
11-28-2012, 11:48 AM

You wouldnt mind giving up PJ3 or Lamb?

Arch Stanton
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
He's for sure improving as a basketball player as well, no doubt about that. Is there any it can be both "more opportunities" and "improvement"? I do think that added touches do help his case though in some ways. He's being featured more along with Kyrie. Funny thing is, I don't think you'd hear many people say that playing Kyrie Irving made him a better player. His play over recent games have shot down that notion......

I think he has played better playing with Kyrie because of the devastating pick and roll they have run. Each year as his usage has increased so has his efficiency. I'd like to think he would be more than just a roll player/energy guy on a contending team. He continues to trend upwards.

Arch Stanton
11-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Lamb and Toronto's first would do it. Let's see if he can stay healthy.

Baller1
11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
You wouldnt mind giving up PJ3 or Lamb?

Lamb and Toronto's first would do it. Let's see if he can stay healthy.

Giving up PJ3 would be much more ideal, considering OKC already ha their starting forwards set for the next 5+ years. Lamb is supposedly going to be the team's future SG, but who knows.

I don't know if Presti would give up both (one of) Lamb or PJ3 and Toronto's first. That's a lot of young talent.

ChiSox219
11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
I think Cleveland should hold on to Varejao. His contract is great and he's a great teammate definitely the kind of player you want setting an example for all the kids they have. You trade him and run the risk of turning into Sacramento or Washington though it's unlikely Kyrie would let that happen.

Arch Stanton
11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I think Cleveland should hold on to Varejao. His contract is great and he's a great teammate definitely the kind of player you want setting an example for all the kids they have. You trade him and run the risk of turning into Sacramento or Washington though it's unlikely Kyrie would let that happen.

I agree... you won't get equal value on a trade.

Chronz
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM

5.1 offensive rebounds? Thats double his career average. How do teams allow him to crash the boards? Teams dont just let you do this

Gram
11-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Perk won't get you anyone, and if you're trying to ditch his contract that Toronto pick has to go.

Has OKC used their amnesty?

Hellcrooner
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
lol a year ago people were talking bout varejaos poisonous contract.

Baller1
11-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Perk won't get you anyone, and if you're trying to ditch his contract that Toronto pick has to go.

Has OKC used their amnesty?

As ****** as Perkins is, I still think Cleveland wouldn't mind adding him to the roster to play while the find a new starting center. I could be wrong though.

No, they haven't used it yet. Really hoping that if they can't ship him off at the deadline that Presti amnesties that disgusting contract next offseason.

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I have watched him and haven't been that impressed. I didn't say he was a bad player but people are making out like he's some kind of star because he's getting a few extra points and more rebounds.

Some people are getting far too carried away too early.

Too early? We're talking about how he is playing right now how can it be early for a right now discussion. I honestly have to question how much you have watched him play if you can say that you're not impressed. He battled against Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol a couple nights ago and outrebounded them both AND Rudy Gay on both ends of the floor by himself. You really think a player than can do that while playing top tier calibre D and scoring at a decent clip and being one of the better passers at his position at the end of all of it.

I have been thoroughly impressed by what this "hustle" player is able to do to start this season.

superior
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
bruh packin stats on a scrub team, GTFOH

MonroeFAN
11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Completely wrong. He's averaging 2 more rebounds and points on far better efficiency while vastly improving his passing game. This whole someone has to post #s argument is absolutely idiotic.

1st of all, you have been on my nuts lately... can I help you?

2nd of all, he's averaging .6 Points per minute more than last season, hardly a a significant difference. He's also averaging a WHOPPING .4 more rebounds per minute. His blocks per game are down, his steals per minute are down. That makes perfect sense since he's being asked to play a more significant role on offense, and not focus on his defense as much. His efficiency is impressive.

I'm not trying to say he's a bad player by anymeans, what he's doing is impressive. But to suggest that Lebron should have stayed put to play with he and glass legs instead of Wade and Bosh is borderline insanity.

And yes, he is putting up big numbers on a team with no players. It's not a knock on his efficiency, but his rebounding numbers are obviously going to rise without many other big man options.

PS : Superior, who on earth is that fine specimen in your signature?

MonroeFAN
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
5.1 offensive rebounds? Thats double his career average. How do teams allow him to crash the boards? Teams dont just let you do this

This is the most impressive thing about him that hasn't been mentioned all that much. Still, he's not winning games because of it. It's not all that more impressive than Andre Drummond averaging 2.5 in 16 minutes.

Minimal
11-28-2012, 08:29 PM
You make the thread name sound like Anderson V raped a horse or smth.

Munkeysuit
11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Looter in a riot

Swashcuff
11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
1st of all, you have been on my nuts lately... can I help you?

I don't even know who the **** you are I can't remember even seeing you on PSD before.

2nd of all, he's averaging .6 Points per minute more than last season,

Wrong. He's averaging 2.2 more points per 36 how does that equate to .6 more points per minute played. I don't know if you noticed but that's a WHOPPING improvement. If Andy V was averaging .6 more points per minute over a 36 minute game that would equate to +21.6 points per 36. What on earth are you talking about.

hardly a a significant difference. He's also averaging a WHOPPING .4 more rebounds per minute.

Once more basically proving you have NO clue what you're talking about.

His blocks per game are down, his steals per minute are down. That makes perfect sense since he's being asked to play a more significant role on offense, and not focus on his defense as much.

If blocks and steals were the only ways to gauge an individual's defensive worth Andy V would be a scrub at the C on the defensive end. His value is way better than that of steals and blocks but someone with such atrocious statistical analysis would obviously say that.

I'm not trying to say he's a bad player by anymeans, what he's doing is impressive. But to suggest that Lebron should have stayed put to play with he and glass legs instead of Wade and Bosh is borderline insanity.

I didn't say anything to that effect so that clearly doesn't apply to me.

And yes, he is putting up big numbers on a team with no players. It's not a knock on his efficiency, but his rebounding numbers are obviously going to rise without many other big man options.

He's averaging a career high on the offensive and defensive glass. Like I said earlier he outrebounded the entire starting frontcourt for the Memphis Grizzlies two nights ago on both ends of the floor. He isn't getting more rebounds because he doesn't have good rebounders around him, he never had good rebounders around him he's getting more rebounds because he's improving as a basketball player.

Despite having the highest USG% of his career he is turning the ball over at a very very low rate while almost tripling his career AST%. By your notion the fact that he plays with such poor teammates should automatically mean more turnovers and less assists. He is however defying that logic.

Lim
12-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Hes on roids, thats my conclusion

Bruno
12-04-2012, 03:18 AM
it's gotta be the shoes.

fantasy sleeper!

Chronz
12-04-2012, 03:32 AM
His jumper has looked solid

smiddy012
12-04-2012, 03:44 AM
silly LeBron.

He should have stayed with them, tanked and then had Varejao, Irving, and the whole cast

Exactly! He tanked in the playoffs vs the Celtics, why not the entire season?

amos1er
12-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Just saying.

Exactly, every player Lebron has played with has seen significant reduction in scoring assists and rebounds. Lebron literally pads his stats at his teammates expense.

ATLPRIMETIME21
12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
He is definitely playing the best basketball he has ever played. U cant say its all because he has no one. He has had no one for the last 3 seasons, yes last year he was hurt but other than that he played mediocre at best when he was playing. So he is definitely got my vote for most improved player so far this year.

Other candidates for most improved have got to be JJ Redick, Demar DeRozan and O.J. Mayo

aztr0
12-04-2012, 08:36 AM
He's not focused on flopping anymore? So he's put that focus on his actual game?

MonroeFAN
12-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Sorry I was wrong. He has looked pretty solid, I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he had as many offensive rebounds than Andre Drummond who played half the amount of minutes though.

DumDum
12-04-2012, 09:12 AM

look at your name of course your here to HEAT TROLL :facepalm:

Swashcuff
12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Exactly, every player Lebron has played with has seen significant reduction in scoring assists and rebounds. Lebron literally pads his stats at his teammates expense.

This is such a foolish statement. So does KD pad his stats at his teammates expense as well? Look at James Harden now. What about Kobe look at Dwight's production. Its basic common sense in any team sport that when a higher calibre player comes along his teammates opportunity's to generate counting numbers are going to be lessened. Basic common sense.

When MJ left Pippen left Pippen played his best ball (in terms of counting stats), Harper, Rodman etc all these players saw a dip in their counting #s because of MJ but guess what none of them were able to be as successful without him. What's the ultimate goal in a team game to win or to get stats? LeBron's production HELPS his teams more so than he hurts them.

No one who knows anything about basketball or any team sport for that matter would say anything this foolish.

DumDum
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm new but I'm going to need stats on every player lebron ever played with as proof that he pads his stats . maybe that will keep some of you busy.

DumDum
12-04-2012, 09:18 AM
sideshow Varejao having a good yr he is earning his paycheck why does everything have to do with kobe or lebron on PSD ?

TopsyTurvy
12-04-2012, 09:32 AM
New hair stylist, same hair products? :shrug:

DumDum
12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
:
New hair stylist, same hair products? :shrug:

:clap::clap::clap:

Arch Stanton
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Sorry I was wrong. He has looked pretty solid, I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he had as many offensive rebounds than Andre Drummond who played half the amount of minutes though.

But then the question is if Drummond plays more minutes will his efficiency go up? I would tend to think not with a Rookie.

Arch Stanton
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
He's not focused on flopping anymore? So he's put that focus on his actual game?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chronz
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Or maybe hes improved? You do know bigmen peak later, and AV was always one of the players who played better with Bron on the floor. If he would have had this jumper when Bron was around, he wouldnt have been benched so often, hell they would have prolly gotten to the Finals at least.

Shlumpledink
12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
His main issue throughout his career has been his mindset and confidence. He has always had a pretty nice midrange touch, and he hits the glass hard. It's just a matter of consistency, which comes from confidence and mindset. Now he's had a coach get on him to do the things he's doing, which instills in him a lot of confidence, so he continues.

Let's just hope he can stay healthy.

BklynKnicks3
12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
This guy is not Human lol Varejo > love thats a great argument one guy is overrated one guy is underrated both on losing teams