PDA

View Full Version : Value of Player Coaches?

Sactown
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
After watching the ancient players of the Knicks and Nets step onto the court I started to ask myself a question, How much better would DeMarcu Cousins or Tyreke Evans have been if they had players like Marcus Camby, or Grant Hill playing as their reservers?

So here is my question; What is the value of Player coaching players in this leuge. In a league loaded with talent, how important is it to include player coaches like Kidd, Camby, Rasheed, Stackhouse, Grant Hill, Billups, Andre Miller, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis?

Also, is it important that they were good players? or can they just be old? Can you have to many players coaches, how many would you recommend a team have? AND which teams need them the most?

heyman321
11-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Very important. They're called veterans!

Quinnsanity
11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Very important, but I think you're lumping some guys together that don't belong. Guys like Kidd, Chauncey and Hill are all major assets to have around younger guys because of how revered they are as leaders and teachers. I've never heard anything like that about Allen, Rashard, Stackhouse or Andre. In fact, I've heard Allen is pretty curmudgeonly and borders on being an *******. I can't confirm that obviously, it's just what I've heard.

tredigs
11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Most important is a solid front office/organization that won't tolerate certain attitudes, and more than that cultivate winning attitudes. Spurs and OKC come to mind. Then I'd say the next most important is just having hungry leaders who own the game with smarts and work ethic to help show the youngins how to play at the highest level and that the best of the best don't take shortcuts. Lebron, Cp3, Kobe, KD, etc. Next thing I'd want is a smart/driven coach who will get everything he can out of his players. Thibs, Pop, etc. After that, give me your Kidd's and Billups. Very important imo - but not top of the rung if you're looking for a young player to succeed.

jmoney85
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Very important, but I think you're lumping some guys together that don't belong. Guys like Kidd, Chauncey and Hill are all major assets to have around younger guys because of how revered they are as leaders and teachers. I've never heard anything like that about Allen, Rashard, Stackhouse or Andre. In fact, I've heard Allen is pretty curmudgeonly and borders on being an *******. I can't confirm that obviously, it's just what I've heard.

stackhouse is definitely in that category... his role on the nets is literally player coach...