PDA

View Full Version : 'Antoni and Dwight

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Dwight Howard has, I believe, been leading the team in minutes played since 'antoni took over as head coach, but over the last four games Dwight has had a total of only 33 shots FG attempted. One of the big reasons for the rift between Dwight and SVG, was Dwight's role on offence. In the post season of '09, Dwight made public comments about not getting the ball enough in the post, and SVG made little use of the jumper Dwight had been polishing in the offseason over teh past couple of seasons. Dwight averaged only about 12 shots per game under SVG, but now under 'antoni is averaging less than 9! One game saw Dwight get only 4 shot attempts! Dwight averaged around 12 shots a game under SVG, which was usually enough to lead the team in shots-per-game, (though Ryan Anderson was a close second last season, and Vince Carter and Jason Richardson got almost as many shots as Dwight the season before).

Dwight has wanted a bigger role on offense. He's worked out with Hakeem in the offseason to improve his post game, and has worked on his jumper as well. I think for Dwight, being a big part of the offense is important to him and I think unless 'Antoni starts including him more, it may alienate Dwight and in turn make it harder for LAL to retain him in free agency this year.

Kobe is getting the most shots this year so far, and I think it is fair to expect that, but he's getting about 7 more shots a game than Dwight. Gasol is second on the list, while Dwight and MWP are neck-and-neck for the third most shots, and MWP has been getting more shots than Dwight since 'antoni came in (though MWP has been playing well enough to justify that).

I assume that when Nash comes back there are going to be some pick-and-roll plays for Dwight, like the ones he ran in Orlando with Nelson, and the ones Nash ran in Phoenix with Gortat, but my question is: Will Dwights limited role on offense be a factor in his re-signing with the Lakers in the off season?

'Antoni has made some curious moves since he's stepped in. Max out minutes with Dwight despite the fact he has just come back from back surgery, and also giving a lot of shots and minutes to MWP (who is so far this season playing much better than he has ever played in a Lakers' jersey).

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Again this hire was stupid and will be the reason Dwight leave :facepalm:

nickdymez
11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Again this hire was stupid and will be the reason Dwight leave :facepalm:

You honestly dont think the Lakers went to Howard and asked was this ok or would he resign with Diantoni??

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
You honestly dont think the Lakers went to Howard and asked was this ok or would he resign with Diantoni??

Well, they didn't go to Kobe and ask him about Mike Brown. Do you think they asked Dwight about 'antoni? I mean, Kobe won FIVE rings in LAL, Dwight has won nothing in LAL. If they didn't ask Kobe about Mike Brown, I doubt very much that they asked Dwight about 'Antoni. Jim Buss is known for NOT referring to his players on such occasions.

And Dwight publically supported the hiring of Phil Jackson. He also had suggested to Orlando's FO that thye bring in Phil Jackson. He made no public overtures toward 'Antoni and has not expressed any excitement about the hiring since it was announced.

I believe there is reason to be concerned if 'Antoni doesn't invovled Dwight more on the offence. I mean, who though that Dwight would be the forth option in LA beihnd Kobe, Pau AND MWP? I don't think that is what Dwight had in mind when he came to Lakerland.

Only 4 shot attempts in a game where he played 41 minutes? I mean, Meeks and Morris got more shots taht game and Hill got as many shots as Dwight.

Quinnsanity
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Can we stop with the 'Antoni crap? Yes I know his teams play no D, it's ****ing annoying to read. It's spelled D'antoni. Get it right.

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Can we stop with the 'Antoni crap? Yes I know his teams play no D, it's ****ing annoying to read. It's spelled D'antoni. Get it right.

When he starts coaching D, then I will include the D in his name.

justinnum1
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Well, they didn't go to Kobe and ask him about Mike Brown. Do you think they asked Dwight about 'antoni? I mean, Kobe won FIVE rings in LAL, Dwight has won nothing in LAL. If they didn't ask Kobe about Mike Brown, I doubt very much that they asked Dwight about 'Antoni. Jim Buss is known for NOT referring to his players on such occasions.

And Dwight publically supported the hiring of Phil Jackson. He also had suggested to Orlando's FO that thye bring in Phil Jackson. He made no public overtures toward 'Antoni and has not expressed any excitement about the hiring since it was announced.

I believe there is reason to be concerned if 'Antoni doesn't invovled Dwight more on the offence. I mean, who though that Dwight would be the forth option in LA beihnd Kobe, Pau AND MWP? I don't think that is what Dwight had in mind when he came to Lakerland.

Only 4 shot attempts in a game where he played 41 minutes? I mean, Meeks and Morris got more shots taht game and Hill got as many shots as Dwight.
:burn:

owned

Chavacano
11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
FGAs =/= touches.

nickdymez
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
:burn:

owned

lmao... what?

nickdymez
11-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Again, the Lakers have to much invested in Dwight to be that stupid. Maybe people on a message board can make emotional decisions, but the Lakers are the best ran sports franchise and im pretty sure they talked to the biggest free agent on their team and in the league and asked if it was ok to hire this coach. They probably didn't care what Kobe thought because he was 33. I wouldn't have asked Kobe **** either. But i promise they asked Dwight.

ManRam
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
The Magic players and SVG got a ton of flack from a lot of Magic fans about how little Dwight got the ball sometimes. I've always maintained that most of that lies on his shoulders. He's not tremendous at asserting himself and fighting to get open. Too often is he content with just receiving the ball 10-15 feet out in bad position and going from there. He doesn't bully defenders in the paint for position lie, for example, Shaq used to do all the time. He's a good pick-and-roll player, but people overrate that ability of his. He and Jameer would often show some great flashes, but he was never consistent enough. Nash is a far superior PG and maybe that changes things, but as long as Kobe is there and as long as Dwight doesn't always want to fight for good position, I'm not going to be surprised if his FGA numbers stay lower than most expect.

Some of it is coaching, some of it is Kobe, some of it is everyone else...but a lot of it is Dwight.

And also remember this, touches doesn't equal FGAs. Dwight will touch the ball a lot more than he'll shoot it sometimes because of poor position, turnovers and getting fouled. He has improved tremendously offensively since entering the league, but he doesn't quite seem to be at the level he was two years ago (his best offensive year IMO in terms of skill), and that will hinder his ability to get shots off.

GREATNESS ONE
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
When Nash comes back, Dwight will get all the easy looks in the world but I am constantly asking for more touches/shots for Dwight. There should never e a game where he has under double digit shot attempts. Every game feed the beast 12-16 shots a game minimum...

LakersIn5
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
When he starts coaching D, then I will include the D in his name.

thats just immature and trying too hard to be cool. "well d'antoni's team doesnt play D so ima just take the D off his name blah diblah diblah, while at it ima call ex laker coach mike brwn since he doesnt have offense and call wizards coach randy ittman since he doesnt have a win"

get over it

Hellcrooner
11-27-2012, 11:42 AM
dwights signing back or not is a concern.
but dantoni is not the key piece of the concern.

1 early exit in playoffs , thats the biggest one

2 Kobe bryant and his egomaniac tunnel vision, i have to be the hero antics ( specially if number 1 happens.

3 A bad trade for gasol.

4 Not trading gasol and his game go on slacking..

5 Dantonio.

DaLakerz Rulz
11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
The Magic players and SVG got a ton of flack from a lot of Magic fans about how little Dwight got the ball sometimes. I've always maintained that most of that lies on his shoulders. He's not tremendous at asserting himself and fighting to get open. Too often is he content with just receiving the ball 10-15 feet out in bad position and going from there. He doesn't bully defenders in the paint for position lie, for example, Shaq used to do all the time. He's a good pick-and-roll player, but people overrate that ability of his. He and Jameer would often show some great flashes, but he was never consistent enough. Nash is a far superior PG and maybe that changes things, but as long as Kobe is there and as long as Dwight doesn't always want to fight for good position, I'm not going to be surprised if his FGA numbers stay lower than most expect.

Some of it is coaching, some of it is Kobe, some of it is everyone else...but a lot of it is Dwight.

And also remember this, touches doesn't equal FGAs. Dwight will touch the ball a lot more than he'll shoot it sometimes because of poor position, turnovers and getting fouled. He has improved tremendously offensively since entering the league, but he doesn't quite seem to be at the level he was two years ago (his best offensive year IMO in terms of skill), and that will hinder his ability to get shots off.

You hit the nail on the head. Dwight is getting plenty of touches and opportunities to score. I am not sure if this happened a lot in Orlando, but early on this season - he repeatedly turns the ball over, or teams will just foul him. So many times I have seen him keep the ball low, and defenders will just swipe the ball away. He is getting 10.9 FGA/game this year, not far off from his career average of 11.2. I am sure this will increase at least a little once Nash returns to the lineup.

Chronz
11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
He's a good pick-and-roll player, but people overrate that ability of his.

Amen, people were really bringing that up like hes at an Amare/Blake Griffin level. Hes a better post up player than given credit for, too bad D'Antoni doesnt stress post play.

Too often is he content with just receiving the ball 10-15 feet out in bad position and going from there.
They should let him, better yet they should run plays that involve him diving to his sweet spot in the post but the truth is they dont run many plays for him, they do give him the ball on stagnant post up sets but hes not very successful this year with them. If they would just add that one play that SVG used to free Dwight up for deep Post-Up it would add another dimension to their PnR attack but Antoni dont like post ups.

shep33
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
His FGA will go up when Nash comes back. He also noted yesterday at practice that he was exhausted at the Sacramento and Memphis games.

Pluvious
11-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Yeah, he gets more touches than shown. A lot of his post touches have been resulting in kick outs, turnovers (strips), and foul shot attempts.

Also, he will be featured as the pick and roll guy when Nash comes back. That will be the "main" play on offense. That is different than anything Howard has seen consistently before.

Pluvious
11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Amen, people were really bringing that up like hes at an Amare/Blake Griffin level. Hes a better post up player than given credit for, too bad D'Antoni doesnt stress post play.

They should let him, better yet they should run plays that involve him diving to his sweet spot in the post but the truth is they dont run many plays for him, they do give him the ball on stagnant post up sets but hes not very successful this year with them. If they would just add that one play that SVG used to free Dwight up for deep Post-Up it would add another dimension to their PnR attack but Antoni dont like post ups.

D'Antonni made adjustments for Gasol and substitutions after the Sacramento game which were very encouraging. He has said it will be a process "as they go" because of no training camp. There is no doubt they will be looking for good ways to get Dwight involved. Up until now though they have had very little time to implement anything.

ManRam
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
You hit the nail on the head. Dwight is getting plenty of touches and opportunities to score. I am not sure if this happened a lot in Orlando, but early on this season - he repeatedly turns the ball over, or teams will just foul him. So many times I have seen him keep the ball low, and defenders will just swipe the ball away. He is getting 10.9 FGA/game this year, not far off from his career average of 11.2. I am sure this will increase at least a little once Nash returns to the lineup.

Dwight also has a terrible habit of bringing the ball down low when he shouldn't. Keep an eye on that. Like off of offensive rebounds or just working in the post. He loves bringing the ball down low, and that gets him in a lot of trouble. There's no reason Dwight should be doing that, and that's one thing that really hasn't improved.

I will say that I certainly don't think Dwight is 100%. I've only watched a few Lakers games this year, but he just isn't quite the same. It's most obvious on defense really. He doesn't cover the ground he used to. It will come back in time. That surgery he had isn't something you just bounce back from instantly.

Chronz
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
D'Antonni made adjustments for Gasol and substitutions after the Sacramento game which were very encouraging. He has said it will be a process "as they go" because of no training camp. There is no doubt they will be looking for good ways to get Dwight involved. Up until now though they have had very little time to implement anything.

They will figure it out, I rather believe this all a result of Dwight not being up to speed and thus not being entrusted with the offense rather than a sign of diminished ability or lack of faith in post sets by Mike. Still given how poor Dwight has fared without Kobe on the court, and his lack of efficiency in whatever limited post sets he gets, I can see why him getting touches isnt a priority.

Stinkyoutsider
11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I think Howard will resign with the Lakers for sure if they win a title. I've always thought that Howard wants to win a title first, then worry about his numbers. This was the reason he always pushed Orlando management to sign players he had confidence in.

Dwight is trying to fit in which I think is hurting his game a little? Too much thinking...

I can't completely agree with the thought that Howard would get the ball more if he was more assertive with position down on the block. Maybe D'antoni would get him the ball but all I remember is Bynum practically yelling for the ball while getting post position. He didn't see the ball as much as he should have and I think Howard is in the same boat? Gasol gave into Bynum late in Bynum's stay which allowed him to get more touches but I don't see Howard doing the same thing to take opportunities from Gasol.

Sssmush
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
the key factor is the emergence and lethal efficiency of Metta on offense.

What that tells me is that Mike Brown, and Phil Jackson before him, were drastically failing to utilize Metta correctly.

Before Metta came to LA, watching him play for Sacramento and Houston, I thought he was a devastating offensive weapon, similar in his own way to Kobe Bryant at times. In Los Angeles under Phil Jackson, who I am starting to believe might be the most massively overrated coach in sports history, Metta's stats were terrible. He routinely put up 3-12 "Derek Fisher" type FG stats, and has just generally sucked on offense so bad that most of Los Angeles has clamored for him to be replaced by some guy named "Ebanks" who no one has ever even seen play, for no other reason than that Metta has sucked so bad on offense.

NOW, in like 5 minutes under D'Antoni, who seems to see offensive basketball with a clear eye and doesn't have triangle or princeton shaped cataracks clouding his vision... voila le Metta is eh playeeen like ze world class offensive basketball playurrrr that we all knew he was!!

Obviously, Metta benefits from the defense being drawn to Dwight, but Dantoni is right to instantly seize on the fact that Metta is a dangerous weapon in his own right. As defenses adjust *hoo boy* then Dwight gets even more dangerous, especially when Nash gets involved.

Yeah, Dwight has a chance to be truly great in LA, like titles, MVPs and Hall of Fame great. It's not automatic, Dwight has to accomplish a lot to get there, but in Los Angeles he has a chance. If Dwight wants to leave and go to Dallas or something, hey, the door is always open. Not everyone is Laker material. I think Dwight is though.

LoL this whole "Phil will keep Dwight in LA meme" is weak on so many levels, and why would any of us trust anything that Magic or RAM-bis say at this point? They are clearly tools who never got the memo that Phil Jackson was using them.

yanksrock
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Again, the Lakers have to much invested in Dwight to be that stupid. Maybe people on a message board can make emotional decisions, but the Lakers are the best ran sports franchise and im pretty sure they talked to the biggest free agent on their team and in the league and asked if it was ok to hire this coach. They probably didn't care what Kobe thought because he was 33. I wouldn't have asked Kobe **** either. But i promise they asked Dwight.

Not since the reins were handed to Jim Buss. He's made one crazy move after another. He acts on emotion. I'm afraid he'll run the Lakers into the ground.

yanksrock
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM

What that tells me is that Mike Brown, and Phil Jackson before him, were drastically failing to utilize Metta correctly.

Before Metta came to LA, watching him play for Sacramento and Houston, I thought he was a devastating offensive weapon, similar in his own way to Kobe Bryant at times. In Los Angeles under Phil Jackson, who I am starting to believe might be the most massively overrated coach in sports history, Metta's stats were terrible. He routinely put up 3-12 "Derek Fisher" type FG stats, and has just generally sucked on offense so bad that most of Los Angeles has clamored for him to be replaced by some guy named "Ebanks" who no one has ever even seen play, for no other reason than that Metta has sucked so bad on offense.

NOW, in like 5 minutes under D'Antoni, who seems to see offensive basketball with a clear eye and doesn't have triangle or princeton shaped cataracks clouding his vision... voila le Metta is eh playeeen like ze world class offensive basketball playurrrr that we all knew he was!!

Obviously, Metta benefits from the defense being drawn to Dwight, but Dantoni is right to instantly seize on the fact that Metta is a dangerous weapon in his own right. As defenses adjust *hoo boy* then Dwight gets even more dangerous, especially when Nash gets involved.

Yeah, Dwight has a chance to be truly great in LA, like titles, MVPs and Hall of Fame great. It's not automatic, Dwight has to accomplish a lot to get there, but in Los Angeles he has a chance. If Dwight wants to leave and go to Dallas or something, hey, the door is always open. Not everyone is Laker material. I think Dwight is though.

LoL this whole "Phil will keep Dwight in LA meme" is weak on so many levels, and why would any of us trust anything that Magic or RAM-bis say at this point? They are clearly tools who never got the memo that Phil Jackson was using them.

Are you serious?? The man is a champion through and through!!:facepalm:

ManRam
11-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Wow.

So, the cliffnotes version of this is: Ron Artest is having a great year (14 games), so therefore Phil Jackson sucks because Ron wasn't particularly great offensively during those 2 years. Got it!

Chronz
11-27-2012, 03:26 PM

So it has nothing to do with his conditioning? And PJ won a chip with Metta so lets calm down.

Before Metta came to LA, watching him play for Sacramento and Houston, I thought he was a devastating offensive weapon, similar in his own way to Kobe Bryant at times.
.......... :eyebrow:

lakers4sho
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Dwight is 2nd in USG behind kobe :confused:

Chronz
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Wow.

So, the cliffnotes version of this is: Ron Artest is having a great year (14 games), so therefore Phil Jackson sucks because Ron wasn't particularly great offensively during those 2 years. Got it!

LOL, do you know his stance on stats? Seems to me most Kobe fans hate stats but plenty of them sure do try to act knowledgeable when it comes to quantifying trends.

Like never mind the decades of data we have on coaches having minimal effects on players overall and that among them, Phil Jackson and Pop just so happen to stand out abit more than the mean. Here are 14 games from Metta in which he is scoring at a career best rate for an underachieving Lakers team. PJ x-posed

JayW_1023
11-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Dwight is more skilled offensively than he's given credit for but unlike his defensive instincts, his feel for the game on the offensive end is just underdeveloped.

Like a poster said, he thinks the game too much on that end. But he has really improved his passing on the block. No lie.

If Nash gets healthy he will get more easily looks and play more in a rhythm. If one player can maximize Dwight, it is Nash.

Sssmush
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow.

the awesomeness of D'Antoni is that he was able to look at this lineup and find all that extra hidden value in Metta just sitting there waiting to be utilized.

A 6'8" 250+ pound hyper-athletic small forward who can shoot from outside, take it to the hoop AND has a post up game, yet has only been used as a placeholder in the offense for 3 straight years.

With all the big weapons (Kobe/Pau/Dwight/Nash) the awesomeness of D'Antoni is that he instead comes in and starts running plays for the guy everybody thought didn't matter, who they thought was just an empty space on the roster.

This team is going to be so freaking awesome. I'm surprised more people don't feel this coming. It is going to be huge.

Ballistix
11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
When he starts coaching D, then I will include the D in his name.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you think leaving out the D is so clever, but in fact it's played out and lame. How bout you come up with original next time. Smh

Chronz
11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Dwight is 2nd in USG behind kobe :confused:
Kobe has been doing a great job utilizing the bigs, they have utterly fallen apart when hes not on the court. Last year you had Drew feasting on 2nd units, neither Pau or Dwight has been able to do that this year. Though I think it would suit Pau better.

I Rock Shaqs
11-27-2012, 04:03 PM
bang bang!

sixer04fan
11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Am I missing some inside joke here? Why does the OP keep calling him 'Antoni?

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM

No because he wanted Phil, Kobe wanted Phil, Gasol wanted Phil... Dwight and Gasol would be unstoppable in the triangle offense, in the Dantoni offense they're stoppable!

JayW_1023
11-27-2012, 04:21 PM
the awesomeness of D'Antoni is that he was able to look at this lineup and find all that extra hidden value in Metta just sitting there waiting to be utilized.

A 6'8" 250+ pound hyper-athletic small forward who can shoot from outside, take it to the hoop AND has a post up game, yet has only been used as a placeholder in the offense for 3 straight years.

Ron Artest is playing well, but hyper-athletic, that's a bit...hyperbolic.

Oh right...Metta World Peace.

nickdymez
11-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Am I missing some inside joke here? Why does the OP keep calling him 'Antoni?

No "D". Get it?

Jenceman
11-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Metta's resurgence is do to him finally being in shape as a Laker, first time since his first season with the team. The last two he has been out of shape. The triangle or whatever Mike Brown ran didn't keep him from even being able to dunk...

sixer04fan
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
No "D". Get it?

Ahh. Yes

bholly
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
+1 to people hating on the 'Antoni thing. Unfunny to the point of being cringeworthy.

Gritz
11-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Let him leave, if he is dumb enough to leave $30 million on the table, he's an idiot

yanksrock
11-27-2012, 05:43 PM
+1 to people hating on the 'Antoni thing. Unfunny to the point of being cringeworthy.

My thought When I saw it

Sssmush
11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Ron Artest is playing well, but hyper-athletic, that's a bit...hyperbolic.

Oh right...Metta World Peace.

he's not Russell Westbrook hyper-athletic, but in a different way. He can bench like 400 pounds or something like that, probably squat 1,000 pounds, he is for sure one of the strongest players in the NBA. He is quite fast for his size, and has a tremendous amount of upper and lower body strength, which actually compares with Lebron.

He has been a very good outside shooter, and a prolific scorer at times, who has a number of offensive skills.

JesusWears24
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Nash is the key to everything

justinnum1
11-27-2012, 08:20 PM

that's an old fragile key ;)

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2012, 08:58 PM

Alicia Keys?

Chill_Will_24
11-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Alicia Keys?

You are a good poster but that sig is too much. Blocked.

LA_Raiders
11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Mr. Pringles sucks, but we are stuck with him...

GiantsSwaGG
11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
You are a good poster but that sig is too much. Blocked.

If you knew how to Twerk, you would appreciate the sig man...

Twerk Twerk Twerk