PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio 12 wins, 3 losses, 5th seed

JordansBulls
11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Something has to be done about this if the standings hold up.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/group/2

They have the most wins in the league and are currently the 5th seed because they play in the same division with Memphis and OKC.

JayW_1023
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
One thing that hasn't changed a whole lot the past decade: West>East

And I doubt Pop cares about seeding as much as keeping his team healthy and staying competitive.

Swashcuff
11-27-2012, 09:45 AM
1. They aren't in the same division as OKC.
2. We're not even 1/4 way through the season
3. When all 30 teams play 82 regular season games we're not going to have this issue

YoungOne
11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
3. When all 30 teams play 82 regular season games we're not going to have this issue

perfect :)

JordansBulls
11-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Ok then it must be a glitch because the Clips and Warriors are same division and they are ranked 3 and 4 right now with a 8-6 record.

Swashcuff
11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Ok then it must be a glitch because the Clips and Warriors are same division and they are ranked 3 and 4 right now with a 8-6 record.

What glitch? They have a share of the division lead with identical records/winning %s. Like I said by season's end we won't have this problem. This (http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html) is why.

-- Confused by the new playoff seeding format? Were you confused by the old format?

Last season, much ado was made about the Spurs and Mavs, the teams with the two best records in the Western Conference, meeting in the Conference Semifinals because of the rule that gave the top three seeds to the division winners.

So, during the offseason, that rule was changed so that the two best teams in the conference would not face each other until the Conference Finals, even if they're in the same division.

bucketss
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
i don't get it

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2012, 10:29 AM
ESPN has it listed wrong. SA should be the number one seed... Memphis is technically .5 games behind SA even though they have on less loss, they also have 2 fewer wins. Even if SA were behind Memphis, they'd still get the secnd seed at least. Division leaders are only garunteed a spot in the top four seeding, not top three. At any rate, even if the palyoff started today, SA would still have home court in the first round regardless of their seeding.

NBA.com also has it listed wrong, unless they changed how they do the seeding and base it off percentages rather than wins and losses. Back in the day, if you have two more wins, and one more loss, you were half a game ahead of the next guy.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2012, 10:34 AM

this problem will last until

1 every team plays each other team regardless of coast the same number of times.

2 16 best teams regardless of coast, division and the rest of the crap makes playoffs, 1 vs 16 2 vs 15 3 vs 14 etc.

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
There's still a long way to go until the end of the season we'll see where we stand closer to the allstar game. While the Spurs are nursing injuries to Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson and hopefully look to add a power forward/center at the deadline, I will take this record and soar with it. Keep eating up the teams we can to spit out a great record. TimmyD and company are coming.

Swashcuff
11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
this problem will last until

1 every team plays each other team regardless of coast the same number of times.

So according to this we'd have what a 62 game season instead of a 82 since we'll according to you have 32 teams instead of 30?

2 16 best teams regardless of coast, division and the rest of the crap makes playoffs, 1 vs 16 2 vs 15 3 vs 14 etc.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I can't believe someone would even suggest something like this. It solves absolutely nothing.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
So according to this we'd have what a 62 game season instead of a 82 since we'll according to you have 32 teams instead of 30?

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I can't believe someone would even suggest something like this. It solves absolutely nothing.

It helps balance the conferences mid tearm.

all those east teams making playoffs with 38 to 42 wins coudl ahve used lottery picks to become better.

All those west teams not making playoffs with 48 wins were overstacking even more the conference with those lottery picks.

i actually would make it something differnet.

30 teams wich is what we have now.

3 games against each teams 29 x 3 = 87 ( 29 home, 29 away, 29 in OTHeR cITIES with no team, teams split 1/3 of the gate income, and the city of the venue gets 1/3 too, wich would help test wich places have a real interest and would be suitable for expansion, and gets the league yet more publicity).

Only the 12 best teams make playoffs, teams 1-4 are spared the first round.

Swashcuff
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
It helps balance the conferences mid tearm.

all those east teams making playoffs with 38 to 42 wins coudl ahve used lottery picks to become better.

All those west teams not making playoffs with 48 wins were overstacking even more the conference with those lottery picks.

i actually would make it something differnet.

30 teams wich is what we have now.

3 games against each teams 29 x 3 = 87 ( 29 home, 29 away, 29 in OTHeR cITIES with no team, teams split 1/3 of the gate income, and the city of the venue gets 1/3 too, wich would help test wich places have a real interest and would be suitable for expansion, and gets the league yet more publicity).

Only the 12 best teams make playoffs, teams 1-4 are spared the first round.

Okay I misunderstood what you were saying the first time around my apologoies. I thought you meant a system in which every team in the league makes the playoffs.

Though the idea sounds good in theory it means more expenses for franchises having to go to unfamiliar cities and set up shop some cities which may not even have an interest in basketball. Sure the expansion would be nice but honestly that's where the development of the D League comes into play.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Okay I misunderstood what you were saying the first time around my apologoies. I thought you meant a system in which every team in the league makes the playoffs.

Though the idea sounds good in theory it means more expenses for franchises having to go to unfamiliar cities and set up shop some cities which may not even have an interest in basketball. Sure the expansion would be nice but honestly that's where the development of the D League comes into play.

Well if i had my way i would mimic the verticals division system with promotion/relegation, make the ncaa teams pro, and ahve basically every city have a pro team.
Works miracles for LOYALTY ( when you have developed a player in your own youth schemes since they ere 5 years old) , wich is a concern nowdays.

LongWayFromHome
11-27-2012, 01:36 PM

I posted this last year when the playoffs started:

The best 16 records are in the playoffs

Since the 02-03 season 15 WC teams missed the playoffs who would have made them if they were in the East (+1 tie, 16)

In that time period 8 teams have made EC playoffs at under .500 and 1 team has missed the playoffs with at least a .500 record (04-05 Cavs at 42-40)

9 teams have missed the WC playoffs at .500 or better and NONE have made the playoffs with worse than .500 record.

10-11 3 WC lottery teams would have made EC playoffs
09-10 1 team
08-09 1 team (but would have been the 5th seed in the EC)
07-08 3 teams (GS won the most games ever by a team missing the playoffs 48, 4th seed in EC)
06-07 9th seed in WC was tied with 8th seed in EC
05-06 1 team
04-05 1 team
03-04 4 teams!!!
02-03 1 team

And if I wasn't so lazy I would go find the many teams that were "seeding screwed" as well. Its not THAT big of a deal, but sometimes after 82 games problems still exist with this system.