PDA

View Full Version : JRue Holiday

JayW_1023
11-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Can't believe no one is mentioning this guy. He keeps the Sixers over ).500 with virtually no help and is just a monster on D nowadays.

He is playing at an unbelievable level.

More-Than-Most
11-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Big fan of his and I loved the contract we just gave him but never expected him to take this many steps forward this quickly...Its insane how young and how good he is

Knowledge
11-26-2012, 05:36 AM
He is my hope and biggest hero. When Jrue plays well, I am happy.

One thing I would like to see from him is more Ft attempts. Once he starts getting to the line more consistently the league will be put on notice.

Swashcuff
11-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Jrue is young and though he's playing at a very high level on both ends of the floor to start the season you can see he still has a lot of learning and adjusting to do. The Thunder and Westbrook did an amazing job at shutting him down a couple nights ago as it was evident from the opening tip that coach Scott Brooks planned defensively to stop Jrue.

By the eye test he has improved leaps and bounds as a playmaker at the expense of turning it over at a much higher clip but that has been going down recently and you'd expect a player learning to really play that role for the first time to have turnover issues. His scoring is pretty impressive though we all knew the potential was there.

Overall my knocks on Jrue are his inability to get to the line at a higher clip and convert (that could have been the difference in the game against OKC) and despite his solid shooting from the field his poor shot selection. I honestly think if he can iron these two wrinkles out he'd solidly throw his name in the hat for the top 5 PG overall in the NBA even when Rose comes back.

Notice i didn't mention anything about D where he is well, ELITE. Top 5 no doubt, possibly top 3 at his position with #1 potential especially given his length and ability to guard multiple positions.

b@llhog24
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Can't believe no one is mentioning this guy. He keeps the Sixers over ).500 with virtually no help and is just a monster on D nowadays.

Nowadays? Jrue was a beast defensively last season.

He is my hope and biggest hero. When Jrue plays well, I am happy.

One thing I would like to see from him is more Ft attempts. Once he starts getting to the line more consistently the league will be put on notice.

Yea if he got to the line more, the Chauncey comparison would be spot on. He had 8 last game, hope it's a sign of things to come.

Gram
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Knight torched him in the Piston game but other than that I've been nothing but impressed.

bootsy
11-26-2012, 12:54 PM

WTF. He's got help.

sixer04fan
11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
WTF. He's got help.

ehh....

rhymeratic
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Most under the radar player in the league. It's crazy.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-26-2012, 01:24 PM
And leading the league in TOs

b@llhog24
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
WTF. He's got help.

Yea J-Rich, Thad and are having very good seasons in their own right. If they were any better then Jrue would end up being the help. Also I just realized that Holiday is only 22! Imagine him 2-3 seasons from now. :drool:

b@llhog24
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Philly>LA

:D

TheIlladelph16
11-26-2012, 01:40 PM

He does need to fix the TOs, but over the last stretch of games they have been declining from what I've seen. His TOs to start the season hurt him pretty badly on that stat when he had a stretch of 7,7,7, & 8 TOs. He has significantly cut back on that.

Other than that, the guy has been playing out of his mind. I understand people's frustration with the Bynum situation and others are laughing about how we traded Iggy. If Jrue and Evan's elevated play are any indication, that trade was completely justified from a pure basketball standpoint (not to mention financial standpoint as well).

Yea J-Rich, Thad and are having very good seasons in their own right. If they were any better then Jrue would end up being the help. Also I just realized that Holiday is only 22! Imagine him 2-3 seasons from now. :drool:

I sometimes forget how young he is watching him play, until they show a closeup shot of him playing. Dude still has a babyface.... He looks like he is 18 haha.

sixer04fan
11-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Come on now, he's essentially eliminated that problem as of late:
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3995/jrue-holiday

COOLbeans
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree with the op. Dudes good

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I was one of teh doubters... I thought Philly gave him too much money, but, i was wrong. I've been including him as an option for line-of-the-night because he's been playing SO good.

It is a pleasant surprise... I thought they made a mistake letting Williams go, but Jrue is proving to be the man.

Alayla
11-26-2012, 02:36 PM

He is in Very good company in doing so though

2. Kyrie Irving
3. James Harden
4. Kevin Durant
5. Kobe Bryant
6. is a Tie between Aisk,Lilard and Rondo
9. is a Tie between Curry Lawson and Howard.
and 12th is Josh Smith

Im not too worried :)

Alayla
11-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I was one of teh doubters... I thought Philly gave him too much money, but, i was wrong. I've been including him as an option for line-of-the-night because he's been playing SO good.

It is a pleasant surprise... I thought they made a mistake letting Williams go, but Jrue is proving to be the man.

I said from the very beginning getting rid of Lou was addition by subtraction. He is not nearly as good as people think he is and Willams and Iggy where holding holiday back a ton.

Swashcuff
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I said from the very beginning getting rid of Lou was addition by subtraction. He is not nearly as good as people think he is and Willams and Iggy where holding holiday back a ton.

If Jrue showed this type of ability alongside Iggy I can assure you no one would be saying that held us back.

WAYNEBO
11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day... kid has been the Sixers lone bright spot this year so far. Balling out of his mind.

Alayla
11-26-2012, 03:54 PM
If Jrue showed this type of ability alongside Iggy I can assure you no one would be saying that held us back.

Swashcuff you are a very well educated fan and most of the time i wouldn't even bother trying to argue with you because honestly i would lose 10 times out of 10.
But in this case lets Be real
All signs Point to Iggy being a hindrance to Jrue
Frist and Foremost Jrue had better Stats in games where Iggy didn't play
Without Both Lou and Iggy putting there hands in the pot for PG duty's Jrue has had more opportunity to run the offense
And This season with Iggy and Lou gone Jrue has Broken out.

On the Flip Side to that coin Ty Lawson has actually Regressed a bit this season
Like it or Not Iggy has a Negative affect on point guards he plays with.
I know one way or another its a weak argument but it would take some Pretty solid statistic Facts to convince me Otherwise at this point.

Also to clarify since the way you worded it seemed to imply you thought i said iggy held the TEAM back i was Specifically talking about Jrue not the team.

2-ONE-5
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Hopin Jrue keeps gettin the recognition he deserves so far. He is havin a much better year than D-Willaims so far and at the moment Jrue should be an all-star

dee279
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
He is good. If Russel Wilson can get 29 pages, lets get this thread up to 50. Lets do it. How about those Sixers?!

dee279
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Hopin Jrue keeps gettin the recognition he deserves so far. He is havin a much better year than D-Willaims so far and at the moment Jrue should be an all-star

If he keeps it up, he should definitely be an all star. If not for Rondo, i would say he should be the starter.

dee279
11-26-2012, 10:07 PM
MIP could be in his future IMO

SeoulBeatz
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
NBA made a highlight of his ridiculous game yesterday against the Suns....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYUXFRtDkw

So many big plays

Swashcuff
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Swashcuff you are a very well educated fan and most of the time i wouldn't even bother trying to argue with you because honestly i would lose 10 times out of 10.
But in this case lets Be real
All signs Point to Iggy being a hindrance to Jrue
Frist and Foremost Jrue had better Stats in games where Iggy didn't play
Without Both Lou and Iggy putting there hands in the pot for PG duty's Jrue has had more opportunity to run the offense
And This season with Iggy and Lou gone Jrue has Broken out.

No beef here. I just take this from the standpoint or rather the viewpoint of seeing Jrue his entire pro career. He has improved immensely in his passing, his vision is better than anything we've seen from him, he has always had a good feel for the game so you can expect him to remain poise in the clutch and come up with big bucket after big bucket but even without Iggy on the floor in years past Jrue never really displayed he had this type of ability. Does Iggy leaving help Jrue? In some ways yes but I also think he would have benefited more (on both ends of the floor) with Iggy out there and him taken the considerable strides he has this year.

It's like Gasol and Bynum if you ask me. Gasol wasn't necessarily holding Drew back as some alluded to it was more so that Drew didn't take the steps forward that he did last season. I mean if Gasol was traded and the Lakers kept Drew before last season began and he had say a 20 and 13 type season everyone would say it was Gasol's fault when in actuality Gasol helped Drew in many ways.

On the Flip Side to that coin Ty Lawson has actually Regressed a bit this season

Na he hasn't regressed in the least. He has been shooting poorly to start the season (we saw the same from him this January when he went into a shooting slump after a hot start) much like Gallo. He's a streaky type of player but over his last 3 games or so he's beginning to find himself finally getting over 40% from the field after his 8-10 night last night.

Like it or Not Iggy has a Negative affect on point guards he plays with.

Don't fully agree but I can see why someone would say this. His improved range over the past couple seasons now allows him to add another dynamic to any team he plays for and not just be used as a primary ball handler. Its part of the reason why Lawson is having a career year in terms of assists. Lawson's #s this season with Iggy on the bench backs your reasoning however.

I know one way or another its a weak argument but it would take some Pretty solid statistic Facts to convince me Otherwise at this point.

Well for one last season when Iggy sat Jrue averaged less points and assists per 48 while shooting at a worse % but grabbing more rebounds. I don't have the #s on their D but I'm 100% that Jrue was better defensively alongside Iggy (sentiments which have been echoed by both himself and Iggy last season and playoffs). It also works both ways though since Iggy himself was much better when Jrue was on the floor with him. Source (http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/player-vs-player.html#Andre-Iguodala-vs-Jrue-Holiday|2738,201950;year=201112;season=r)

Also to clarify since the way you worded it seemed to imply you thought i said iggy held the TEAM back i was Specifically talking about Jrue not the team.

Thanks for clearing that up I thought you actually meant Philly as a team. I still think though that if Jrue was this good when he played next to Iggy, Iggy would have been able to adapt to Jrue's improvements. Last season he was our assists leader well this season he's 3rd on his team, once Jrue could have showed Doug that he's this type of player and the team runs best with Jrue running the offense more than Iggy and Iggy spotting up a bit more he would have still had a quite stellar year.

Despite Iggy not being trusted as a 3 point shooter in years past in Philly I think this year is a bit different and with his improvements in that area he would have fit nicely in with a reduced playmaking role.

Swashcuff
11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
NBA made a highlight of his ridiculous game yesterday against the Suns....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYUXFRtDkw

So many big plays

Thanks Seoul :clap:

Favourite Jrue play last night for me was without a doubt his move on Telfair for me. I'd love to see him take advantage of his size more often against smaller guards like he there.

Ebbs
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Jrue for the most part has been killling it but the guy has also benn turning it over to much,.

Sixerlover
11-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Jrue for the most part has been killling it but the guy has also benn turning it over to much,.

Ball is in his hands a lot because Iguodala and Lou are gone, and he has to be the primary scorer and facilitator. But overall I'm very pleased with what he's doing this season.

In case anyone wants to see actual numbers:

18.6 ppg, 9.2 apg, 3.9 boards, 41% 3pt% along with stellar defense. But he is also averaging 4.3 Turnovers per game

Stuckey#3
11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Jrue will be a top ten player in two years. Quote it.

Lim
11-27-2012, 03:06 AM
cool thing about jrue is that hes got that old mans game kinda like paul pierce. will help him age well.

JayW_1023
11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
He was a SOLID defender last year. Now he is elite.

KingsPhillies
11-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Holiday is having a great season. So far he's my pick for Most Improved Player. People are criticizing his increase is turnovers...but are they noticing his assists have doubled from last year? He has made a few mistakes in regard to shot selection, but his shooting percentages are up above 40%, so at least he's making a good deal of his shots. And if he can start getting to the line more regularly, maybe attempting at least 6 a game, he'll be one of the most well rounded point guards in the league.