PDA

View Full Version : Did the Blazers make a mistake taking Lillard at #6?

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Don't jump the gun here - I'm not saying they shouldn't have drafted him. He's a great fit in Portland and my personal pick for ROY. I simply wonder if Portland made a mistake taking him at 6 instead of 11 and missing out on another top prospect.

Both Barnes and Drummond were still on the board when Portland picked. There were solid indications that teams 7-10 were leaning along the lines of:

Golden State: best available meaning either Barnes or Drummond
Toronto: Terence Ross (a SG with a jumper)
Detroit: a center to pair with Monroe
New Orleans: Austin Rivers

The risk was minimal, so is the difference between Meyers Leonard and Drummond/Barnes worth it?

FriedTofuz
11-26-2012, 02:08 AM
the raptors would've drafted lillard. Their choice was barnes. Waiters, and lillard. So no, they made a good decision to get him.

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Personally, I take Drummond at 6 because Lillard's stock wasn't that high and there is always the possibility of a trade if he gets taken before 11.

GunFactor187
11-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Wasn't the first priority on their list of needs a pure PG though?

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Wasn't the first priority on their list of needs a pure PG though?

But who is going to take Lillard in the next 4 picks? It might be different if a team like Houston was in the mix.

uncleben989
11-26-2012, 02:16 AM
toronto woulda picked lillard, so your scenario wouldnt really pan out for him falling to 11th

AsiandudePH
11-26-2012, 02:17 AM
There were reports that GS wanted to take Lillard.

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:17 AM
toronto woulda picked lillard, so your scenario wouldnt really pan out for him falling to 11th

Would they have? I thought they were rumored to want Waiters or Ross because of Derozan's lack of range and the Steve Nash chase.

shep33
11-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Can't take that risk. Lillard is better than anyone else that was picked after him

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:18 AM
There were reports that GS wanted to take Lillard.

Would they take him over Barnes though?

tmacsc2
11-26-2012, 02:26 AM
It's a tough call you never know what the other teams actually wanted but I think Toronto would have def taken him because they shocked the world with Ross at 8 so I think they were looking at "shocking picks" I also think the hornets would have nabbed him instead of that stupid pick rivers..

Tony Perkis
11-26-2012, 02:28 AM
100 percent sure Lillard was gone to GSW at 7. In fact rewatch the draft, Lillard was completely pissed he was picked before his hometown warriors.

AsiandudePH
11-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Would they take him over Barnes though?

He was a hometown kid, so yeah I think so. They probably saw the same brilliance in Lillard's game as Portland did.

BKLYNpigeon
11-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I should make a similar thread:

"Did the Warriors make a mistake drafting Todd Fuller instead of Kobe Bryant?

every team make mistakes in the draft like your Timberwolves selecting Johnny Flynn, when they could have had Curry.

dhopisthename
11-26-2012, 02:37 AM
nope because all it would have taken was 1 team that liked him as much in the next few picks for them to not get him. also who would they have taken drummond/barnes?

Ebbs
11-26-2012, 02:38 AM
No you ensure yourself the guy you believe is a future franchise player.

topdog
11-26-2012, 02:51 AM
I should make a similar thread:

"Did the Warriors make a mistake drafting Todd Fuller instead of Kobe Bryant?

every team make mistakes in the draft like your Timberwolves selecting Johnny Flynn, when they could have had Curry.

There have been "your team's draft mistake" and "re-draft" threads. This one is very debatable and the opinion seems to be that it was not a mistake.

So, chill out because no one made you come to this thread and you only help keep it open by posting.

RaiderKid318
11-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Hornets all ready showed a ton of interest in him and he probably wouldn't have made it past ten.

Guppyfighter
11-26-2012, 02:59 AM
I wonder what would have happened with the Warriors if they drafted Damian Lillard?

topdog
11-26-2012, 03:02 AM
I'll add a wrinkle to the discussion and invoke the Kyle Lowry rumors. The Rockets desperately wanted to move up in the draft, so if I'm not getting too hypothetical here, you could mitigate the PG risk assuming the Rockets would deal Lowry for Barnes or Drummond.

On top of that, the Rockets had 3 picks and I would assume that they could be convinced to part with at least one of them.

Run&Gun
11-26-2012, 03:14 AM
I can see your point, big men are tough to get in the NBA and Drummond has the potential to be that rare defensive anchor. But Lillard wouldn't have made it too far past his 6th spot, I mean the hornets really needed a Pg and Lillard would have fit that role way better than Rivers tat 10th. 6th and 11th are too far apart for picks too many variables. Lillard is more of a franchise player and will probably get more wins than Drummond at least for the next few years.

yanksrock
11-26-2012, 03:31 AM
No!!

You take the best available.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Personally, I take Drummond at 6 because Lillard's stock wasn't that high and there is always the possibility of a trade if he gets taken before 11.

I agree. But at the same time, it's much easier to look at it in retrospect. I do think that Lillard would've been around at 11, but if he's the one Portland truly wanted, then they did the right thing.

raiderposting
11-26-2012, 03:49 AM
nba would have been really interesting if they passed on him. he forsure wouldn't be there at 11. The dubs most likely would have taken him which means what for curry/thompson?
if for some reason the dubs passed on him as did the raptors and pistons, imagine him on the hornets. Lillard and Davis together worth losing chris paul? imo yes. Because imo these guys are going to become studs very soon.

b@llhog24
11-26-2012, 10:37 AM
At the time that's what I wanted us to do, draft one of Drummound or Barnes and then fish out either Lillard or Lamb with the 11th pick. Looking back I never thought he would be this good, this fast. Hindsight bias aside I would've tried to pick him at 11.

OKC
11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
if they didnt choose lillard and he would fall to the tenth pick hornets 100% take him.
lillard and davis:drool:

greg_ory_2005
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
No. Raptors would have probably taken him.

Byronicle
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Don't jump the gun here - I'm not saying they shouldn't have drafted him. He's a great fit in Portland and my personal pick for ROY. I simply wonder if Portland made a mistake taking him at 6 instead of 11 and missing out on another top prospect.

Both Barnes and Drummond were still on the board when Portland picked. There were solid indications that teams 7-10 were leaning along the lines of:

Golden State: best available meaning either Barnes or Drummond
Toronto: Terence Ross (a SG with a jumper)
Detroit: a center to pair with Monroe
New Orleans: Austin Rivers

The risk was minimal, so is the difference between Meyers Leonard and Drummond/Barnes worth it?

you do realize if portland didn't take lillard, toronto would've for sure and if not them, new orleans would've taken him

Hellcrooner
11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
No, he wouldnt have fall to 11.

shen
11-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Hornets would have made sure he did not make it to our second pick. It would have been a huge mistake to pass on Lillard.

bucketss
11-26-2012, 11:42 AM
bryan colangelo had lilard as his first pick if he was gone than it was barnes.

thedfactor
11-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Not at all. They needed to go for the best player available according to their needs NOW. That was definitely Lillard. Leonard isn't ready yet, but he'll get better. Drummond is quite the potential and Blazers already got burned with the Oden thing they probably feel satisfied with Lillard, no doubt.

dee279
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
But who is going to take Lillard in the next 4 picks? It might be different if a team like Houston was in the mix.

I could have seen New Orleans taking him also.

koreancabbage
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
well its def not a mistake now. Lilliard has the makings of a top 10 PG. as of right now, his ROY to lose.

Gram
11-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Lillard would have been gone at 11.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
It seems like some of you are forgetting that he wasn't getting a lot of attention heading into the draft. Of course looking back now we can look at the draft and say that he wouldn't have been there, but that's only because we've now seen how good he is. There's actually a good chance of him falling to #11.

With that said, I still think Portland did the right thing. If you want a player, you take him. Simple as that.

THE MTL
11-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Seriously, are u guys ********. Judging by the way Lillard is playing he should have been a top 3 in the draft. He definitely owns the ROY title for now and even if Davis finally gets healthy, his stats/record arent better than Lillard's. Im shocked this thread was made since Lillard has been playing so well

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
This is a legit question. There are two approaches GMs take (from what I've read). Either they draft the best available talent, or they draft what they need. There are pitfalls for both. The Raptors, for example, needed a "center" when they had Chris Bosh and so drafted Bargnani instead of LMA.

Word on Drummond was that he was not mature and may prove to be a bust. I think that is why so many teams passed up on him. He has been rebounding the ball very well for Detroit in limited minutes.

Barnes is playing well, but he is a forward and Portland already had Batum and LMA (both of whom they are paying a great deal of money to), so chances are Barnes wouldn't be getting much playing time behind either. Portland NEEDED a PG or a center, so Drummond would have made sense, but I think a lot of teams were looking at him as a gamble.

It is easy right now to say that Lillard is the obvious choice looking at the numbers the other two players are getting. Lillard is virtually a lock for the ROY award at this point (though it is a long season and Athony Davis has shown signs of brilliance already).

That said, the ROY is not always the best player in the draft. Okafor won the ROY over Howard for example, but everybody knew that Howard was the best pick of the draft. Some players come to the NBA already at or near their full potential and never really grow (I am reminded of Lionel Simmons of the Kings and Derrick Coleman, both of whom showed great potential in their rookie season and failed to ever really improve on that, though Coleman at least maintained his level of play, where as Simmons did not), while others take several years to develop their game (MWP is a great example as it took him five years to reach his potential, likewise for Danny Granger who improved each season).

Right now it's hard to say. Lillard is playing the best out of any rookie right now, but this may be his max potential, where as Drummond is getting consistent minutes and Barnes is likewise just starting out. If Lillard simply continues to play at his current level he will have a long career (though he may want to increase the assists and decrease the turnovers, but hey, he's a rookie).

At the end of the day, it's too early to tell if Portland did the right thing. Drummond may prove to be among the league's elite big men in 5 years times, where as Lillard may end up being one of a group of very talented PGs in this league (I have been watching basketball since the alte 80's and I don't think the league has ever been deeper at PG). And Barnes... who knows where his talents will take him.

all three players are playing well. Big men are harder to find generally, so I believe that if Portland does regret not taking somebody else with that pick, it will be Drummond and not Barnes. SFs and SGs generally take a little longer to develop their skill set (I don't mean to sound like a novice, but I'm assuming from his numbers that Barnes is a SF and not a PF, as I have yet to see him play), so I think it will be a couple of seasons at least before we see if Barnes is better than Lillard.

That said... Lillard is playing great, so for now, Portland has no reason to be kicking themselves for picking him.

Now Toronto, on the other hand, should be kicking themselves for not drafting Drummond. Ross seems ok, but they already had a shoot guard they were planning on giving a contract to.... SMH

COOLbeans
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
There's no way New Orleans passes on Lillard for Austin Rivers. Blazers did right by picking him at 6

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Seriously, are u guys ********. Judging by the way Lillard is playing he should have been a top 3 in the draft. He definitely owns the ROY title for now and even if Davis finally gets healthy, his stats/record arent better than Lillard's. Im shocked this thread was made since Lillard has been playing so well

If you use this logic, than you would also be saying that the Magic made a mistake in taking Howard over Okafor, since Okafor won ROY that year.

The question is not asking whether or not Lillard is better right now, but will Portland regret not taking Drummond in a few seasons. There have been a number of situations where the ROY was not the best player in the draft, simply the most NBA ready.

Damon Stoudimire, for examples, won the ROY, but I doubt Minny regretted drafting Garnett over him. Nor do I think the Washinton Bullets should have drafted Stoudimire over Rasheed. Rasheed proved to be the better player. Mike Miller also won rookie of the year, but I think most will agree that the first overall pick, Kenyon Martin, was picked where he should have been.

Chuck Person won the rookie of the year as well, but Brad Daughtery was still hte correct choice as first overall. And I imagine that had indy been able to see into the future they would have taken; Rodman, Mark Price, John Salley, and likely Kevin Duckworth of Chuck Person.

It may seem like a silly question considering the level at which Lillard is playing at right now, BUT, it really isn't so silly a question in context of what has happened in eyars past. The ROY is not always the best player in the draft.

FriedTofuz
11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
100 percent sure Lillard was gone to GSW at 7. In fact rewatch the draft, Lillard was completely pissed he was picked before his hometown warriors.

well then **** portland, they screwed over the raptors. They shouldve drafted drummond, and GSW would get lillard, and the raptors would've gotten barnes.

:mad::mad:

FriedTofuz
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
bryan colangelo had lilard as his first pick if he was gone than it was barnes.

actually no, It was barnes, lillard and waiters, in that order.

mightybosstone
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I understand what the OP is trying to say, but I don't agree with it. Lillard has easily been the best rookie so far this season and that team has desperately needed a playmaking guard since Roy's knees started falling apart. Some might argue that they needed a center more, but I would definitely disagree. They already have an offensive big man in LMA and it's not that hard to come by a decent defensive center in today's NBA (as long as you're willing to sacrifice offense a bit). However, getting an elite playmaking guard or wing is hard to come by, and that's what they potentially have in Lillard.

And you can always say "There's a chance they could have had Lillard AND Drummond," but it's extremely unlikely and you have to either take the best available player or the best player available at your biggest area of need. Lillard fits both for Portland. Plus, look at what happened to Portland the last time they took a big time defensive center prospect instead of taking the playmaking guard or wing player: Oden over Durant. They learned their lesson and they easily made the right decision.

topdog
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
It seems like some of you are forgetting that he wasn't getting a lot of attention heading into the draft. Of course looking back now we can look at the draft and say that he wouldn't have been there, but that's only because we've now seen how good he is. There's actually a good chance of him falling to #11.

With that said, I still think Portland did the right thing. If you want a player, you take him. Simple as that.

Exactly. Summer League really was his coming out party. Remember that he, like Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, came from a fairly lackluster program and those guys were in the discussion for top 7 picks but fell to 10 and 15 respectively. Plus, he was a 4 year player which often scares teams off.

Maybe Golden State does pick the hometown (though not for long) kid, but then we'd be asking why they didn't take the SF they need next to Curry and Thompson.

Maybe Toronto takes him, but it had seemed at the time that they were more concerned with the SG position - so much so that they ended up reaching for Ross.

Detroit? They probably end up taking Meyers Leonard or John Henson to pair with Monroe.

Maybe New Orleans takes Lillard, but they seemed pretty set on grabbing the coach's son and converting the freshman into a dynamic combo guard by the time he'd be Lillard's age.

Gram
11-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Learn how to spell "you" before you call people ********.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Exactly. Summer League really was his coming out party. Remember that he, like Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, came from a fairly lackluster program and those guys were in the discussion for top 7 picks but fell to 10 and 15 respectively. Plus, he was a 4 year player which often scares teams off.

Maybe Golden State does pick the hometown (though not for long) kid, but then we'd be asking why they didn't take the SF they need next to Curry and Thompson.

Maybe Toronto takes him, but it had seemed at the time that they were more concerned with the SG position - so much so that they ended up reaching for Ross.

Detroit? They probably end up taking Meyers Leonard or John Henson to pair with Monroe.

Maybe New Orleans takes Lillard, but they seemed pretty set on grabbing the coach's son and converting the freshman into a dynamic combo guard by the time he'd be Lillard's age.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean and meant with the original post.

It's easy to think Lillard would be picked by those teams now that we all know he's a stud, but people were not viewing him in this way prior to the draft.

topdog
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM

It's easy to think Lillard would be picked by those teams now that we all know he's a stud, but people were not viewing him in this way prior to the draft.

:hi5:

Your validation makes making this thread worthwhile :cry:

Baller1
11-26-2012, 04:15 PM

:cheers:

Huntey
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Teams knew how good he was and his stock was higher than you think. Especially in the week or two before the draft; Scouts knew how good he was at shooting and how athletic he was. I'd seen multiple reports of the Kings seriously thinking about drafting him but I guess because Thomas Robinson 'fell' to them they didn't take him.

If he had gone to a big school like UK or UNC you can bet your *** he would have gone in the top 2.

IMO there's no chance he'd stay around untill the 11th pick as every one of those teams picking after Portland could have easily picked him. Even Detroit.

Maybe what they should have done was draft Drummond and then traded for the 7th pick?

mightybosstone
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM

I'll agree that his stock was nowhere near as high as it was after the Summer League, but I don't think it was so low that he would have fallen to 11. Almost every mock draft I've seen prior to the draft had Lillard going sixth and the ones that didn't still had him in the top 10.

Plus, you have to remember Portland's history with swinging and missing at raw big men with potential. If they had taken Drummond sixth, missed Lillard at 11th and Lillard had easily outplayed Drummond over the course of their careers, people would have viewed this as just one more huge mistake by Portland's front office.

IMO, Lillard was the ONLY pick they could have made at No. 6. Also, Leonard is still extremely young and neither he or Drummond have played much, so it's still possible that Leonard could end up being the better NBA player.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I'll agree that his stock was nowhere near as high as it was after the Summer League, but I don't think it was so low that he would have fallen to 11. Almost every mock draft I've seen prior to the draft had Lillard going sixth and the ones that didn't still had him in the top 10.

Plus, you have to remember Portland's history with swinging and missing at raw big men with potential. If they had taken Drummond sixth, missed Lillard at 11th and Lillard had easily outplayed Drummond over the course of their careers, people would have viewed this as just one more huge mistake by Portland's front office.

IMO, Lillard was the ONLY pick they could have made at No. 6. Also, Leonard is still extremely young and neither he or Drummond have played much, so it's still possible that Leonard could end up being the better NBA player.

Oh I agree completely. I said earlier in the thread that Portland made the correct choice by taking Lillard 6th. If that's the guy they wanted in the draft, then you do what you have to do to get him. If they reached at 6, then so be it... They got the guy they wanted.

I was just acknowledging that I completely understood what Topdog was looking at with this thread.

astrosmaniac
11-26-2012, 04:34 PM

But don't forget you had houston at 12 with also the 16th and 18th pick. If Lillard fell that far, no doubt IMO that Houston tried to leapfrog Portland at 11 and nab him

Green_Monster
11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
There is a good chance he would have been taken, if they didn't take him with the 6th pick. I'm pretty sure the Raptors had interest and would have taken him if he was there. Plus, he's averaging 19.6 PPG on .589 TS% and .549 EFG%, although that's a small sample size.

NoahH
11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
You dont take chances like that, bro. Especially with a guy as special as Damian Lillard.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think a lot of you are understanding what the OP is asking.

topdog
11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
But don't forget you had houston at 12 with also the 16th and 18th pick. If Lillard fell that far, no doubt IMO that Houston tried to leapfrog Portland at 11 and nab him

That's a possibility, but Houston didn't seem to get where it wanted in the first place and I would argue that:

1.Taking Drummond allows you the potential to make a deal with someone who may take Lillard with that bonus of paying Lillard less for 4 years and get something extra assuming they accept that deal

2. Teams who would allow Houston to leapfrog (say NOLA trades 10 for 12 and 18) need to be wary of revenge much like how Washington threatened the 'Cats about trading their pick so someone could take Beal at 2.

topdog
11-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I don't think a lot of you are understanding what the OP is asking.

People don't read beyond the title... if that.

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 05:29 PM
It's hard to tell how the draft could have went. I mean, NOH are kind of in need of a PG, and they had Eric Gordon to sign as a SG, so Rivers isn't the obvious pick there if Lilard is available, and most mock drafts had Lillard going a little higher that he actually went I think.

Had they taken Drummond, TO may have picked up Lillard (they hadn't made the deal yet for Lowry) and NOH may have picked him to because all they have at the point is Vasquez (who is playing well, but his FG% is a little low and he could improve on the assist-to-turnover ratio). Lillard would have been a great fit for NOH, likely better than Rivers has been.

The Goldenstate Warrior likely would have taken Barnes regardless. And I doubt the Pistons would have picked a PG since they had two already in Knight and Stuckey.

Portland may have been able to pull it off... who knows.

That said, it is still early in their respective careers and Leonard may prove to be better than Drummond yet, though Drummond has been rebounding the ball very well and scoring well when given the chance to.

valade16
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM

You can use this exact same logic for why the Blazers shouldn't have drafted Drummond. Sure, he's playing well now but he had more questions in the draft than a trivia gameshow. He was considered the most likely to be a bust and he had the least efficient post offense of every big man coming out.

If Portland had the benefit of hindsight and could see how much potential Drummond now has they'd also see the potential star that is Lillard.

It really comes down to is the reward of getting a Drummond/Lillard combo worth the risk of losing out on Lillard.

I say no.

THE MTL
11-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Learn how to spell "you" before you call people ********.

And only a ****** would correct me on something like "u". We're not writing english papers over here. This is online where shortcuts happen loser.

topdog
11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
You can use this exact same logic for why the Blazers shouldn't have drafted Drummond. Sure, he's playing well now but he had more questions in the draft than a trivia gameshow. He was considered the most likely to be a bust and he had the least efficient post offense of every big man coming out.

If Portland had the benefit of hindsight and could see how much potential Drummond now has they'd also see the potential star that is Lillard.

The sentiment was that Drummond would either be very good or very bad. It was suggested around draft time that he likely had the highest ceiling of anyone, but there were major questions as to whether he would put in the work to get there. So, the Drummond option is not one of hindsight but it is another gamble Portland would be taking.

It really comes down to is the reward of getting a Drummond/Lillard combo worth the risk of losing out on Lillard.

I say no.

Fair enough. The Blazers are in a good position going forward assuming that they do not overwork and injure their starters this year.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 07:44 PM

I say no.

Well Drummond was a really strange prospect. You had people who thought he could be one of the best centers in the entire league, and others guaranteed he'd be a bust.

IndyRealist
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I can't imagine NO wouldn't have taken him over Rivers.

PurpleJesus
11-26-2012, 07:59 PM
You take your player when you get the chance, or you risk losing him to someone else.

When you judge a draft, you should be asking yourself the question, was our guy worth the #X pick? In this case, absolutely Lillard was worth that pick.

Mile High Champ
11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Toronto wanted Lillard.

valade16
11-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Well Drummond was a really strange prospect. You had people who thought he could be one of the best centers in the entire league, and others guaranteed he'd be a bust.

For what it's worth I was never high on Drummond. I said repeatedly in the Blazers forum that I didn't care who the Blazers picked so long as it wasn't Drummond at #6...

Baller1
11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
For what it's worth I was never high on Drummond. I said repeatedly in the Blazers forum that I didn't care who the Blazers picked so long as it wasn't Drummond at #6...

Fair enough. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how their careers play out. You could be 100% correct.

Either way, you guys have a nice PG to rebuild with for sure.

Victimize
11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
No way he gets past Toronto or New Orleans, so they made the right choice.

Gram
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
And only a ****** would correct me on something like "u". We're not writing english papers over here. This is online where shortcuts happen loser.

How does that make me ********? Do you even know the definition of that word? I'm a university student. Not sure people who are ******** could get that far, no offense to them of course.

I'd rather be a loser who goes to university then a guy who calls people retards and losers on an internet forum any day. :shrug:

topdog
11-27-2012, 07:29 PM

No offense, but seeing "u" makes me think of tweenage (yes, that's how I meant to spell it) girls. Seriously, you wrote a whole paragraph but you felt that typing "yo" was going to take too much extra time? :eyebrow:

nolafan33
11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Lillard is overrated.

Let me say, the common stats like PPG, RPG, APG, etc are for noobs and the casual fans. Yall love advanced stats, you just don't know it yet.

He might be averaging 19 and 6 per game, but his assist rate is less than 29%, which is horrendous for a PG. His 16.3% turnover rate is pretty bad for a PG, and his 112 defensive rating is one of the worst in the league.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Raptors wanted Lilliard.

b@llhog24
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM

This completely. We were the only team that high that actually "needed" a Pg. I'm happy with the way things turned out as well but can't help thinking about how good Drummound would look next to LMA and an improved Batum.

I say no.

"It were not best that we should all think alike it is the difference of opinion that makes horse races."

--Mark Twain.

I can't imagine NO wouldn't have taken him over Rivers.

+1.

Lillard is overrated.

Let me say, the common stats like PPG, RPG, APG, etc are for noobs and the casual fans. Yall love advanced stats, you just don't know it yet.

He might be averaging 19 and 6 per game, but his assist rate is less than 29%, which is horrendous for a PG. His 16.3% turnover rate is pretty bad for a PG, and his 112 defensive rating is one of the worst in the league.

Sure let's take everything bad about a player and highlight it.

Rk Player Age G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Damian Lillard 22 14 515 18.9 .566 .524 1.9 9.0 5.2 29.2 1.9 0.6 16.3 24.7 110 112 1.1 0.1 1.1 .106

If he maintains this type of production he'll be on pace for probably the 4th best rookie campaign in the 20K era after Cp3, Kyrie and Blake. But he totally sucks right? :rolleyes:

Quinnsanity
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
If the Raptors wouldn't have taken Lillard I think New Orleans would have.

Quinnsanity
11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Now if you want to say Portland should have traded up to #8 or #9 (particularly that Toronto spot which they were shopping), you might have an argument. I just think if there's a player you really want then don't take the risk.

beasted86
11-27-2012, 09:23 PM
This thread is confusing since, apparently they drafted the best player.

The only way they should have drafted Barnes is if they had no plans of re-signing Batum. With him in place (and after the fact, knowing how much they will be paying him), there's no place for Barnes to fit.

nolafan33
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Sure let's take everything bad about a player and highlight it.

Rk Player Age G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
1 Damian Lillard 22 14 515 18.9 .566 .524 1.9 9.0 5.2 29.2 1.9 0.6 16.3 24.7 110 112 1.1 0.1 1.1 .106

If he maintains this type of production he'll be on pace for probably the 4th best rookie campaign in the 20K era after Cp3, Kyrie and Blake. But he totally sucks right? :rolleyes:

I'll be sitting right here, waiting for you to show me where I said he sucks.

b@llhog24
11-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I'll be sitting right here, waiting for you to show me where I said he sucks.

It's an implication.

topdog
11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
This thread is confusing since, apparently they drafted the best player.

The only way they should have drafted Barnes is if they had no plans of re-signing Batum. With him in place (and after the fact, knowing how much they will be paying him), there's no place for Barnes to fit.

The poll pretty clearly says that Barnes could be used as a 6th man or trade bait.

The idea is that Lillard did not have a ton of hype going into the draft and Portland reportedly thought they might be able to get him at #11 so the question is whether they could have gotten their guy and additional value/assets.