PDA

View Full Version : Will Rondo break 1000 assists this year?

JasonJohnHorn
11-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Only three players have logged more than 1000 assists in a season, Stockton (who did it 7 times), Isiah Thomas (who did it once) and Kevin Porter (also once). It has not been done since the 94/95 season. Will Rondo be the first person in 17 years to record 1000 assists in the season?

On an interesting side not, Kevin Porter lead the league in assists four times but never made an all-star team?

NBAfan4life
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I just cant see it. He literally cant miss any games for that to happen and have a good chance

knicks=love
11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
what's he at now?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-25-2012, 06:36 PM
what's he at now?

He's got 162 right now averaging 13.5 per game. He would need to average 12.35 per game to get it if he doesn't miss anymore games this season.

todu82
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
I think he ends up with it, probably will end up with 1002 or some number like that.

avengedchaos5
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
he'll be closer to 1100, im really hoping for him to get MVP

Bluntz
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
He won't get it

TheSource
11-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I doubt he'll play all 82 games.

bagwell368
11-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Well, I'd settle for MVP of the Celts. He has no shot to win the MVP.

SA5195
11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't think he can get it, probably over 900, but not 1000

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Do people have this much short term memory? Last year he exploded with 20 assists every other day, and he fizzled out as the season wore on.

Expect the same this year. He won't reach it. Sorry.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
And last year and 2010 ray, pierce, and kg all shot out of their minds(except pierce in 2011) Yet he didn't top it, and he won't now. (granted last year was lockout shortened)

Jeeze overreaction mch?

knicks=love
11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
he'll get close i think.

flea
11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Not a chance. He won't play enough games and, even if he does, the team isn't good enough offensively.

tredigs
11-25-2012, 07:38 PM

No chance. Not when you score 12 or 13 points a game and aren't a game changing defender. Assists are nice and all, but that's all he has going for him. Look at the seasons Kobe, Lebron, Durant, etc. are having. KD for one is putting up 27/9/5 with insane efficiency and elite D on a contender. It's a prime year for a guy that may be a top 10 All Time talent. Rondo wouldn't have a leg to stand on when he's compared to a player like that.

As for the 1k assists, if he doesn't miss a game and he knows about this number and cares about it, then maybe. We know Doc and he are willing to stay in during garbage time to get his 10+ a game, so no reason to think he wouldn't gun for this too.

sammyvine
11-25-2012, 07:56 PM
No chance. Not when you score 12 or 13 points a game and aren't a game changing defender. Assists are nice and all, but that's all he has going for him. Look at the seasons Kobe, Lebron, Durant, etc. are having. KD for one is putting up 27/9/5 with insane efficiency and elite D on a contender. It's a prime year for a guy that may be a top 10 All Time talent. Rondo wouldn't have a leg to stand on when he's compared to a player like that.

As for the 1k assists, if he doesn't miss a game and he knows about this number and cares about it, then maybe. We know Doc and he are willing to stay in during garbage time to get his 10+ a game, so no reason to think he wouldn't gun for this too.

He should make the nba all 2nd team at least, probs will lost out to chris paul for the 1st team

bholly
11-25-2012, 09:07 PM

It's not impossible, particularly the way he's been padding them to keep the streak alive, but it's pretty out there to expect 1100 - crazy, even. Even if he played every game (and remember he missed almost 20% of them over the last two seasons) he'd have to average over 13.4 per game - 1.7 more per game than he ever has before. Seems pretty unlikely to do that for a whole season.

TheNumber37
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
It's about 12 a game for a full season.
If he plays all the games he has shot.
The fact that he'll probably pick up a few 20 assist games this season should help.

Bruno
11-25-2012, 09:20 PM
i think he'll crack 1,000 by a narrow margin.

justinnum1
11-25-2012, 09:24 PM
he will be suspended a few games for something stupid. i dont see it

YoungOne
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
I dont know if its even good for us if he gets close to that

StarvingKnick22
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM
He is NOT as good as Stockton. No POINT GUARD besides Magic will be as GOOD AS STOCKTON.

xnick5757
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
He is NOT as good as Stockton. No POINT GUARD besides Magic will be as GOOD AS STOCKTON.

Chris paul

tredigs
11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Chris paul

True, but he doesn't have Stockton's legendary fitness and durability. Has him on scoring ability, but not playmaking.

Anyway, to the other poster - did someone say Rondo could be on par with Stockton? That would be insanity.

Borough
11-25-2012, 10:36 PM
When i read the thread title I thought it was impossible I'm amazed there have been players to do that, on topic I doubt he can reach it, can't miss any games and he has to average over 10 assists a game.

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Agreed! Stockton is the best pure point gaurd the league has ever seen. And as for CP3 being a better scorer, I would agree that he scores more, but does he shoot at as high an efficiency?

benzni
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
He is an amazing player. I believe he will come close and get it

Mishmin
11-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Mini-Lebron

Manimal
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
It was disgusting last night how he passed up open lay-ups for padding his stats. He might get it the 1000 assists and also extend his streak beyond Magic Johnson. But it will be with ridiculous stat padding and should get no MVP consideration.

bagwell368
11-26-2012, 10:19 AM

You forgot that Rondo gets 1-2 extra extra assists every game he plays in Boston. Homer scorer. He's also on the floor in garbage time, and passing up open quality shots to stat pad.

Rondo also gets a lot of assists late in quarters because his FT shooting is so pitiful, he can't be caught holding the ball.

He doesn't drive the lane much either like he did 3-4 years ago because he gets pole axed, why not? he can't hit his foul shots.

KG was by far the MVP of he Celts last year and some idiot put Rondo on the ballot - to match the idiotic vote he got the year before.

Rondo is flashy and fun to watch, and when he doesn't gamble too much for steals a very fine defender. He also appears to be growing up which is nice in his what? 7th year. People keep calling him young. He's not, he's middle aged in terms of his healthy career length. He wants to be a leader, we'll see.

Meanwhile he's not even in the top 30 for MVP IMO.

Chavacano
11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes but not because he's that awesome but because he's a stat *****.

Manimal
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Word. Absolutely disgusted at the way he's been chasing assists.

Hustlenomics
11-26-2012, 12:40 PM

he's always been a pass first and pass 2nd player dont start crying because he's near magic johnsons record

Baller1
11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
He could because he's chasing assists, and it's so obvious that he is. I think he'll miss some games this season though, so it's unlikely.

TeamSeattle
11-26-2012, 12:59 PM
This guy will only get better, of course he can reach this.

Chavacano
11-26-2012, 01:06 PM
he's always been a pass first and pass 2nd player dont start crying because he's near magic johnsons record

^^ Who's crying? llullz

If you can't see that he's clearly stat ****ing this season then you might want to get those eyes of yours checked. ;)

bagwell368
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM

As if that would mean he's any closer to Johnson if he breaks it, than he is now - which isn't at all.

Records earned in the flow of the game are to be honored, those earned due to the pathetic offensive skills of a player outside of assists and the need to generate fan excitement by the owners in this so far meh season is both palpable and pathetic.

Outside of that, rondo seems to be behaving himself - of course I said the same thing before that childish film equipment blow up of his about 15 months ago.

bagwell368
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
This guy will only get better, of course he can reach this.

He will? He was better in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 that he has been since. Early decline?

TeamSeattle
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
He will? He was better in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 that he has been since. Early decline?

He's averaging more points, assists, n rebounds. He's shooting the highest percentage of his career and the third best ft%, so what do you mean?

Pluvious
11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Its possible. He's closing in on the great Mark Jackson. Both are special players.

JiffyMix88
11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes especially with what I like to call the "Rondo assist". That is basically as long as you get a pass from Rondo it doesn't matter how many times you've pump faked and dribbled your way to the basket he will still be awarded with an assist.

Hustlenomics
11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes especially with what I like to call the "Rondo assist". That is basically as long as you get a pass from Rondo it doesn't matter how many times you've pump faked and dribbled your way to the basket he will still be awarded with an assist.

his assists per game was higher on the road so bring another excuse

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
It's so selfish of players like Rondo to be unselfish like this. *scratches head*

The point guard's job is to set up other players to score, and then score when open. Rondo is a pass-first PG and Boston is better because of it.

It's not like that season where Wilt wanted to lead the league in assists and yelled at guys on his team for missing shots when he passed them the ball.

Baller1
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

So true.

JiffyMix88
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM

IDC he may actually get more asssist on the road but I know what I've seen with my eyes and how he should have not gotten awarded with an assist when he did and if thats an excuse y I think he will then ok....

Manimal
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
It's so selfish of players like Rondo to be unselfish like this. *scratches head*

The point guard's job is to set up other players to score, and then score when open. Rondo is a pass-first PG and Boston is better because of it.

It's not like that season where Wilt wanted to lead the league in assists and yelled at guys on his team for missing shots when he passed them the ball.

When you have a wide open lay-up and you choose to pass the ball to the perimeter instead, it's stat padding. It makes no sense. Is it really being unselfish if you are chasing assists instead of taking the easier and better option of the wide open lay up?

akia83
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

+1000

I think he will break 1000 assists fairly easily, but he would be far from being awesome

Pluvious
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Well after I heard about about his big 20+ assists through 3 quarters and how huge that was and then somebody posted the youtube video of all the assists I have trouble taking his assist totals seriously. Literally only 13 of them were actually assists.

Why is he getting all those assists? It should be catch and shoot with no dribbling.

TeamSeattle
11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Well after I heard about about his big 20+ assists through 3 quarters and how huge that was and then somebody posted the youtube video of all the assists I have trouble taking his assist totals seriously. Literally only 13 of them were actually assists.

Why is he getting all those assists? It should be catch and shoot with no dribbling.

I believe the rule in the nba is the offensive player can take up to three dribbles and as long as its a dribble to a score, the player who passed it to him is credited with the assist. So its not just one dribble and then a pullup.

"the last pass to a teammate that leads directly to a field goal; the scorer must move immediately toward the basket for the passer to be credited with an assist; only 1 assist can be credited per field goal."

JiffyMix88
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fuSieh2ro

Chavacano
11-26-2012, 03:22 PM

^^ Rondo averages 15.1 apg at home and 12 on the road. :confused:

Phenomenonsense
11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
He would have to average 12.1 assists per game without missing a single game.

bagwell368
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
He's averaging more points, assists, n rebounds. He's shooting the highest percentage of his career and the third best ft%, so what do you mean?

I'm not ready to consider this year and year until around March (it's 13 games so far). He had a fast start two years ago and a fast finish last year. He has a habit of not putting together two halves of a year until you go back to the years I listed.

BTW, he's shooting FT's at a rate that is 4th highest of his career - not 3rd.

Also his WS/48 is below the two years I listed.

Thanks for playing.

bagwell368
11-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Maybe the league finally sent a message to the "official scorer", look at prior years.

Green_Monster
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
And last year and 2010 ray, pierce, and kg all shot out of their minds(except pierce in 2011) Yet he didn't top it, and he won't now. (granted last year was lockout shortened)

Jeeze overreaction mch?

They didn't shoot out of their minds. They're future HOF'ers, they're supposed to be good. They didn't shoot much higher than their career averages.

JiffyMix88
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

is this true?

Bos_Sports4Life
11-26-2012, 04:25 PM

do watch the games or go 100% based on winshares?

APG/AST% have gone up EVERY year. So as pp/kg get older, his assist go up..hmmmmm

Take him for what he is, great facilitator, above average defender (takes some risks, but still above average), and a guy who cant shoot much. However he knows his role which is a good thing.

The man is also 26, he's not any more immature than PP was or countless others at 25 & younger. He's more mature than the bynums of the world.

NoahH
11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
If he stays healthy he needs to average 12.3 assists per game over 82 games. Can he do it? Yes. Will he do it? I say no, he comes just shy because he misses 6-8 games over the year.

bholly
11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised Boston fans are defending him so much. I expected them to be furious at the way he's playing. I love Rondo as a player, I'm a pretty big fan, but the parts where he's turning down easy buckets and costing his team points should have them screaming. Really really surprised they don't care and want to defend it.

NickyNick
11-26-2012, 05:26 PM
When you have a wide open lay-up and you choose to pass the ball to the perimeter instead, it's stat padding. It makes no sense. Is it really being unselfish if you are chasing assists instead of taking the easier and better option of the wide open lay up?

if its wide open and a 2 on 1 , i'd rather have someone that will dunk it easily than a layup from rondo

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-26-2012, 05:33 PM
They didn't shoot out of their minds. They're future HOF'ers, they're supposed to be good. They didn't shoot much higher than their career averages.

dude they all shot 49-53%% lol and pierce is a 45% career shooter.

Ray Allen, is also a 45% career shooter, and shot 49%(2010) career high as well.

KG, however shot his 3rd best shooting % (53%).

so yes it wasnt that much higher, but still very highly efficient.
if rondo had the best opportunity to get 1000 assists, it would have been that year, and i believe he had like 760 or something close to that.
he only played 68 games though, so it would be interesting to see how many assists he can accumulate if he plays for a full season.

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fuSieh2ro

I love that play. He saw a teammate was coming behind him and gave them the shot. Maybe that is stat padding a little bit, but at the same time it's not like he made a bad play for the team. The team got to score regardless and Rondo just shared the glory. I'm sure most teammates would love being handed off a lay-up/dunk to pad their own stats and increase the FG%.

That's just sharing.

Bos_Sports4Life
11-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Stat padding? meh..Either way he'd be getting points on those layups or assists, getting #'s either way..

He's ALWAYS passed in those situations, Since i can remember and way before this streak started.

Chavacano
11-26-2012, 11:47 PM
is this true?

^^ Yep unless basketball-reference's lying. :shrug: Here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/splits/2013/)'s the link,

bagwell368
11-27-2012, 09:56 AM
do watch the games or go 100% based on winshares?

APG/AST% have gone up EVERY year. So as pp/kg get older, his assist go up..hmmmmm

Hmmmm? TS%, eFG%, TOV%, TRB%, STL%, ORtg all down in 2010-2012 vs 2008-2010. Shooting these past two years the worse of his career.

His assists go up every year because:

1. Doc finally had to accept that outside of his occasional driving, and occasional offensive rebound (often at the expense of stoping the other team moving the ball down court), Rondo's plus on offense is passing.

Did you notice his driving to the hoop is also down from those two years? Yet more opportunities for passing. To fullfill his one real skill on offense.

I can argue Rondo with or without advanced stats. Nobody yet here or in the Celts board has gotten the better of me when I go after Rondo. I only go after Rondo because of the sycophants are far too annoying, and they want to pretend all his off the floor and on the floor immature behavior never happened. Well they did. If people had a fair opinion of Rondo than I wouldn't care a bit, but I dislike misinformation and exaggeration.

Take him for what he is, great facilitator, above average defender (takes some risks, but still above average), and a guy who cant shoot much. However he knows his role which is a good thing.

See, now that's fine. And on his side this year, he appears to be maturing, and he played very well the last 2/3 of last year (inc playoffs), but he isn't the 2nd coming.

The man is also 26, he's not any more immature than PP was or countless others at 25 & younger. He's more mature than the bynums of the world.

I don't care about Bynum. He doesn't play for the Celts. I care about Rondo because he is supposed to follow in the lineage of Russell/Havlick/Cowens/Bird/KG. The man is 3 months from his 27th birthday, and is in his 7th year in the league. When this year is over he will have earned almost $36M playing pro basketball. He has responsibilities. He's about 1/2 way through his career, the time for yelling at cameramen doing their job, breaking video equipment, skipping out on Team USA the day before he was to be cut, and breaking team owned video equipment better be the hell behind him. Do you want the next generation of Celts modeling themselves on a petulent child? I don't.

bagwell368
11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Stat padding? meh..Either way he'd be getting points on those layups or assists, getting #'s either way..

He's ALWAYS passed in those situations, Since i can remember and way before this streak started.

NO. He used to drive both baseline and down the key, now he passes off.

The label is a matter of opinion. You could argue he wants to avoid getting planted and going to the line (if he could hit > 75% of his FT that issue might dry up) - or you could argue stat padding.

Or you could argue both. All I know is that he was asked to practice his FT's in a certain way by Doc early on in Boston and refused. Now if he was over 75% or better 80%, there would be no reason to complain. But his results his way have been poor.

By year:

That's what a defensive 4/5 shoots and is commonly known to have bad hands/be no offensive threat but putbacks/dunks.

I mean WTF? I've coach AAU teams of 11 year olds with a higher than .65% FT percentage.

JiffyMix88
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
^^ Yep unless basketball-reference's lying. :shrug: Here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/splits/2013/)'s the link,

Naw I figured it was true just wanted Hustle not to miss it so hopefully he don't continue to spread bs to protect Ronda

bagwell368
11-27-2012, 10:36 AM

By year - Rondo's career Home vs Road

Home - Road

15.1 - 12.0
11.2 - 12.2
12.1 - 10.2
11.0 - 08.6
08.8 - 07.7
05.8 - 04.4
04.5 - 03.2

It's can't be equal - home teams play better and score more points at home. The question is, is this unusual vs other starting PG's are around the league in Rondo's time. Dunno, does seem a bit high.

MackShock
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
1000 is an average of 12.2 per game. definitely do able

Hustlenomics
11-27-2012, 10:03 PM

last season he averaged 11.2 apg at home and 12.2 on the road and i've seen him not get credited for assists multiple times when he should have got one. At the end of the day he's a playmaker and gives his teammates easier shots if you can't see that ..

bagwell368
11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
last season he averaged 11.2 apg at home and 12.2 on the road.

Never fails, every year of his career but one - including 3 heavily biased years with rondo having more assists at home, and that's all you can do, point to the single exception.

The King of the Rondo appologists strikes again.....

DreamShaker
11-27-2012, 10:18 PM
No chance. Not when you score 12 or 13 points a game and aren't a game changing defender.

To be fair: Steve Nash, 2005. But you are right, he ain't got a chance.

Chavacano
11-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Naw I figured it was true just wanted Hustle not to miss it so hopefully he don't continue to spread bs to protect Ronda

^^ llullz

It's can't be equal - home teams play better and score more points at home.

^^ Yup. No brainer.

The question is, is this unusual vs other starting PG's are around the league in Rondo's time. Dunno, does seem a bit high.

^^ My same sentiment.

Oh and Deron Williams averages 10.1 apg at home and 7 on the road this season which is a 30.7% spike compared to Rondo's 20.5%.

last season he averaged 11.2 apg at home and 12.2 on the road

^^ Oh... I thought you were talking about this season. :confused: My bad then. :eyebrow:

and i've seen him not get credited for assists multiple times when he should have got one.

^^ And people have seen him get credited for assists multiple times when he shouldn't have got one. :shrug:

At the end of the day he's a playmaker and gives his teammates easier shots if you can't see that ..

^^ Yeah. I agree. He's a playmaker... and a stat *****. :p

thenaj17
11-28-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm disappointed with the 2 options to vote so i'm refusing to vote. If he does break it, it's not because he's just that awesome.

He's very good but is stuffing stats on a nightly basis by passing instead of taking an easy wide open jump shot almost every time