PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Garnett a Top 10 player to you?

HouRealCoach
11-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I have him as the 2nd best PF (after Duncan) ever and also a top 10 player. I know its arguable that he is neither but do any of you have him in the top 10 of all time?

My reason is because back in his Minnesota days he was a lock for 23 pts, 13 reb, 5 ast 2 blk, 1 stl, 50% shooting. He could even play and defend on the perimeter. But unlike Duncan, Shaq, Webber, Dirk, Wallace, J. O'Neal he had no help to win anything. His next best player during his years in Minny was Wally Szczerbiak. You can't compare that to David Robinson, Kobe, Artest/Miller, Peja/Bibby, or Nash/Finley. The second he got some help he won a championship and probably would have won back to back years if he didn't get injured, Back to the Finals in 2010, the trade in 011 messed up their chemistry but their 2012 run was magnificent.

His resume speaks for itself but where do you rank him?

BallinOutOfMind
11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
He's a top 5, maybe top 3 PF. But he isn't a top 10 player of all-time. I think he's more of a top 20 to top 15 at most.

Chronz
11-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Lack of support makes it really hard to evaluate him properly. But even with his circumstances, Im not all that impressed with his playoff performances the way I am with Chuck.

Chronz
11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
He's a top 5, maybe top 3 PF. But he isn't a top 10 player of all-time. I think he's more of a top 20 to top 15 at most.

Are you ranking players by career resumes? Impact on the floor. Or by who you would draft if you were creating a new franchise.

BallinOutOfMind
11-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Are you ranking players by career resumes? Impact on the floor. Or by who you would draft if you were creating a new franchise.

Off of resume. his stats are great, but his playoff success isnt as great as other players imo. His MVP and Defensive player award would put him in the top 20 or top 15 though.

Tony_Starks
11-23-2012, 02:14 PM
No, not even close. Top 5 PF all time but not top 10 player. To me those top 10 guys dominated their positions at some point. Back in their primes him, C-Webb, and Sheed were all pretty much neck and neck and he couldn't do anything with Duncan....

Chronz
11-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Off of resume. his stats are great, but his playoff success isnt as great as other players imo. His MVP and Defensive player award would put him in the top 20 or top 15 though.

So if it were either of the other 2, where would you rank him?

RLundi
11-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Top 20 but def not top 10 by any stretch. His peak seasons rank among the best ever for a PF but his total body of work isn't top 10 material. I personally think Malone and Barkley both have had better careers than KG but because he has a ring I'll slot him just a hair above them and behind Timmy.

b@llhog24
11-23-2012, 02:28 PM
He's around 16-18 on my list last time I checked.

Hellcrooner
11-23-2012, 02:36 PM
top 10 of the 000s? yes.
Top 10 PF ever? Yes. ( top 5 for sure)
Top 10 player ever? No, not even close.

I would put at least these dudes(no order) before him:
Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe, Shaq,Oscar Robertson, ,Duncan, D Robinson,Hakeem, Moses Malone, karl malone, John Stockton, Walt Frazier, Bird, Russell, Havlicek, Dr J, Lebron, Jordan, Pippen, I Thomas.

And could argue some others( with stronger or weaker cases) like:
Rick barry, nate Thurmond,Charles barkley, Adrian Dantley, Elgin baylor, Bill Walton(prime preinjury), George Mikan( in his context), George Gervin, Bernard King, Earl Monroe, Willis reed, patrick Ewing, Cowens, T Archibadl, mchale, parish, Hal Greer, Dolph schayes, Wade, Pettit, D Wilkins, E Hayes, Wes Unseld , Artis Gilmore, W Bellamy, B Lanier, Drexler

so that makes him 22 at best or 50 at Worst.

Ebbs
11-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Not for me.

Jordan
Wilt
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Oscar
Shaq
Hakeem
Kobe
Duncan
Russell
LeBron
Dirk
West
Admiral
Stockton

Are all guys I take over him.

Wade, Gervin, Parrish, Nique, Ewing, Drexler, Barkley, Malone, Isaiah, Clyde, Hondo, Malone,

Are in the ball park.

Sure I missed people both sides

Ebbs
11-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I guess I'd place him 16-25 range

BallinOutOfMind
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
So if it were either of the other 2, where would you rank him?

If I were ranking him by impact on floor, he'll still be in my top 15 because of the defensive force he brings to a team. look at celtics for example, before he came they were near the bottom in defensive rankings, but he has turned them into a real defensive team.

Longhornfan1234
11-23-2012, 04:05 PM
MJ

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Hakeem
Duncan
Moses
West
Oscar
LeBron
Dr. J
KG

I have KG at 16.

mngopher35
11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I have him as the second best PF of all time, but not in the top 10 overall. I'd say hes about 15th-20th all time.

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
4th PF of all-time. 20th overall.

People can cry about his lack of support but I don't buy it. He spent the first half of his career failing as a #1 option in the playoffs. If that statement was true then he should have more than one ring and zero finals MVPs.

JordansBulls
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
top 10 of the 90s? yes.
Top 10 PF ever? Yes. ( top 5 for sure)
Top 10 player ever? No, not even close.

I would put at least these dudes(no order) before him:
Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe, Shaq,Oscar Robertson, ,Duncan, D Robinson,Hakeem, Moses Malone, karl malone, John Stockton, Walt Frazier, Bird, Russell, Havlicek, Dr J, Lebron, Jordan, Pippen, I Thomas.

And could argue some others( with stronger or weaker cases) like:
Rick barry, nate Thurmond,Charles barkley, Adrian Dantley, Elgin baylor, Bill Walton(prime preinjury), George Mikan( in his context), George Gervin, Bernard King, Earl Monroe, Willis reed, patrick Ewing, Cowens, T Archibadl, mchale, parish, Hal Greer, Dolph schayes, Wade, Pettit, D Wilkins, E Hayes, Wes Unseld , Artis Gilmore, W Bellamy, B Lanier,

so that makes him 22 at best or 49 at Worst.

Top 10 of the 90's? Is that some type of sick joke? Dude didn't even come into the league in 1995 and he wasn't even a superstar until 2000.

b@llhog24
11-23-2012, 04:11 PM
MJ

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Bird
Shaq
Kobe
Hakeem
Duncan
Moses
West
Oscar
LeBron
Dr. J
KG

I have KG at 16.

Sub Wade in for Dr J, then your list is legit.

Hellcrooner
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Top 10 of the 90's? Is that some type of sick joke? Dude didn't even come into the league in 1995 and he wasn't even a superstar until 2000.

i meant 00s.

JasonJohnHorn
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think I would put him top ten, but I wouldn't argue with somebody who did. I mean, his defence alone makes him amazing, the fact that he could rebound as well as he did and had such a great offensive game.

The thing about Garnett and Duncan, is when you put their numbers against Barkley and Malone, neither looks like they have much of a case against them, but Duncan and Garnett never cared how much they scored. They are team players. Karl Malone once said (this was in the early 90's) and he cared a lot about how much he scored. He'd said by that time he no longer put as much focus on it, but there had been a time when he wanted to be the scoring leader. I know Jordan used to watch his stats to.

To me though, Duncan, Garnett, K. Malone and Barkley (and I think Bob Petit) are the best PFs of all time, and they are each so good that any of them could be on the top of the list, depending on how you look at them.

Me personally, he'd be in my top 20 for sure, but likely not my top 10.

koberulesall
11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
top 10 s h i t talker yes, top 10 ball player NO

b@llhog24
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I think Bagwell has him in his top 10, not sure though.

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM

What a random incorrect statement.

Maybe I don't have the pulse of the people on this one but you are clearly underestimating an amazing career for Dr. J.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=ervinju01&y1=1987&p2=wadedw01&y2=2013

His career win shares are DOUBLE wades.

Julius Erving has a Kobe-esque resume of sustained greatness. I choose not to penalize him for being one of the five best players in the world playing in the inferior basketball league. When he come over to the NBA his success continued in spades. MVP/Ring/All-NBA 1st Teams like it was nothing. Wade has time to get there. In fact, I've said on numerous occasions that I think we're at the beginning of the Heat dynasty. They will get roughly 4 rings in 6 years. No doubt in my mind. But right now Wade is just going to have to sit and hang out in the 20s and wait for his resume to fill up.

JordansBulls
11-23-2012, 04:19 PM
i meant 00s.

oh ok, honest mistake then.:)

Hellcrooner
11-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Maybe I don't have the pulse of the people on this one but you are clearly underestimating an amazing career for Dr. J.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=ervinju01&y1=1987&p2=wadedw01&y2=2013

Julius Erving has a Kobe-esque resume of sustained greatness. I choose not to penalize him for being one of the five best players in the world playing in the inferior basketball league. When he come over to the NBA his success continued in spades. MVP/Ring/All-NBA 1st Teams like it was nothing. Wade has time to get there. In fact, I've said on numerous occasions that I think we're at the beginning of the Heat dynasty. They will get roughly 4 rings in 6 years. No doubt in my mind. But right now Wade is just going to have to sit and hang out in the 20s and wait for his resume to fill up.

Inferior league my ***.

The colonels with issell and Gilmore would have defeated the nba champions , probably brown, mcginnis, Mel Daniels Pacers too.

In the first half of the decade.

as a matter of fact, aba teams had a positive record vs Nba teams in their head to head games before the merger.

I recomend everybody to check some Aba facts in a very cool site called " remember the aba" that site is golden.

sammyvine
11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Dirk had a better career than him as well

one an mvp and finals mvp

Longhornfan1234
11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Dirk had a better career than him as well

one an mvp and finals mvp

You got to factor in TBW terrible front office and that KG didn't get one single draft pick in seven years. His team sucked, as for talent I would say KG is superior. He was the better passer, post scorer, shot blocker, defender, and rebounder.

When KG had a good team such as 2004 and 2008, he made it to the WCF and won the title. The only reason why they only made it to the WCF in 2004 is because Sam Cassell and Troy Hudson, the starting PG and the backup PG of the team were both injured in the WCF. Garnett had to play PG himself in that series. If those two were healthy in that series, Twolves could have very well reached the Finals and maybe even win it and we would be talking about two championships for KG here. Also, KG was robbed in the '08 finals. He should've won the finals MVP.

bagwell368
11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
No, not even close. Top 5 PF all time but not top 10 player. To me those top 10 guys dominated their positions at some point. Back in their primes him, C-Webb, and Sheed were all pretty much neck and neck and he couldn't do anything with Duncan....

KG did well against Duncan - in particular when you consider that Duncan was getting more help on KG (when in Minny) since Minny sucked. However once on Boston - tables turned, KG has easily outplayed Duncan.

In the playoffs KG has an edge on Duncan as well.

Going to baseball - just because Mantle and Mays played at the same time it doesn't take away from either one. So I can't go along with your thinking on dominating ones time.

KG is clearly inside the top 15, but not clearly in the top 10.

bagwell368
11-23-2012, 04:48 PM
4th PF of all-time.

Nonsense. CB has better offense than KG, but KG's advantage over CB on D, plus passing counteracts that. Barkley also played on more good/great teams than KG.

Garnett was better in the playoffs then Malone. Wow considering KG's rep, it must have been really bad.

NYYCowboys
11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Not for me.

Jordan
Wilt
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Oscar
Shaq
Hakeem
Kobe
Duncan
Russell
LeBron
Dirk
West
Admiral
Stockton

Are all guys I take over him.

Wade, Gervin, Parrish, Nique, Ewing, Drexler, Barkley, Malone, Isaiah, Clyde, Hondo, Malone,

Are in the ball park.

Sure I missed people both sides

Dirk over KG? I don't think so.

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Inferior league my ***.

The colonels with issell and Gilmore would have defeated the nba champions , probably brown, mcginnis, Mel Daniels Pacers too.

In the first half of the decade.

as a matter of fact, aba teams had a positive record vs Nba teams in their head to head games before the merger.

I recomend everybody to check some Aba facts in a very cool site called " remember the aba" that site is golden.

:laugh: I read "Loose Balls" and have studied/read plenty on the ABA. How many ABA titles did the Colonels win? Oh wait they broke that team up immediately because the franchise was still losing money in a bankrupt league. The aba teams had a positive record vs. nba teams? So what? I'm not disputing the fact that the ABA had talent. They didn't have enough to sustain a league. They just had some deep pocket owners who took a gamble paying big money for talent in the hopes to eventually join the NBA. Luckily 4 ABA teams did but it still was the league that folded.

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Nonsense. CB has better offense than KG, but KG's advantage over CB on D, plus passing counteracts that. Barkley also played on more good/great teams than KG.

Garnett was better in the playoffs then Malone. Wow considering KG's rep, it must have been really bad.

Are you done editting this post yet so I can respond? :)

b@llhog24
11-23-2012, 05:06 PM

You don't know who LongHorn is huh? I have no interest in debating Dwade over Dr J, but I could see arguments either way.

Bluntz
11-23-2012, 05:13 PM
4th PF of all-time. 20th overall.

People can cry about his lack of support but I don't buy it. He spent the first half of his career failing as a #1 option in the playoffs. If that statement was true then he should have more than one ring and zero finals MVPs.

You obviously don't know who KG had to work with in Minnesota.

KG could arguably be the number 1 PF of all time if it wasn't for lack of accolades. That's all Duncan has on KG and it's because he was blessed with a great overall team. Meanwhile KG was in Minnesota dealing with the likes of Troy Hudson, Anthony Peeler, Wally, Michael Owalcandi, I mean the list goes on.

Tony_Starks
11-23-2012, 05:55 PM

KG could arguably be the number 1 PF of all time if it wasn't for lack of accolades. That's all Duncan has on KG and it's because he was blessed with a great overall team. Meanwhile KG was in Minnesota dealing with the likes of Troy Hudson, Anthony Peeler, Wally, Michael Owalcandi, I mean the list goes on.

To be fair Wally was an all-star at the time, Hudson was ballin off the bench and he also had Spree and Cassel who were still playing at a high level. Not the greatest team in the world but not chopped liver. And Duncan was an elite player practically from day one it took Garnett years to become elite....

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 06:03 PM

You obviously don't know who KG had to work with either since you forgot almost all the best players:
Stephon Marbury
Sam Cassell
Latrell Sprewell
Wally Szczerbiak

:)

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 06:04 PM
You don't know who LongHorn is huh? I have no interest in debating Dwade over Dr J, but I could see arguments either way.

:laugh:

"I'm going to flip a thread on its head by making a random statement! This had to be said! Just don't challenge me because I can't debate it at all!"

b@llhog24
11-23-2012, 06:05 PM
:laugh:

"I'm going to flip a thread on its head by making a random statement! This had to be said! Just don't challenge me because I can't debate it at all!"

Yea you don't know who Longhorn is.

Ebbs
11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Dirk over KG? I don't think so.

I do. So?

RLundi
11-23-2012, 06:18 PM
KG did well against Duncan - in particular when you consider that Duncan was getting more help on KG (when in Minny) since Minny sucked. However once on Boston - tables turned, KG has easily outplayed Duncan.

Going to baseball - just because Mantle and Mays played at the same time it doesn't take away from either one. So I can't go along with your thinking on dominating ones time.

KG is clearly inside the top 15, but not clearly in the top 10.

What do you mean by not clearly in the top 10? Are you suggesting a case could be made? KG is certainly top 20 all-time but I don't think he's CLEARLY top 15 as in there should be no discussion. But I'd definitely be interested in a case being made for top 10, let alone definitively top 15.

Munkeysuit
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
No way top 10, maybe at his position sure

Bluntz
11-23-2012, 06:24 PM
You obviously don't know who KG had to work with either since you forgot almost all the best players:
Stephon Marbury
Sam Cassell
Latrell Sprewell
Wally Szczerbiak

:)

I purposely didn't name the best players he played with because Sprewell and Cassell were essentially there for one season.. Which resulted in the Western Conference Finals.

He played with terrible players for the majority of the time he spent in Minnesota.. That's just a documented fact.

Bluntz
11-23-2012, 06:25 PM
By the way Knicksorbust, Tony Parker is ten times better than Cassell and Ginobli is ten times better than Sprewell.. and like I mentioned Garnett had them for basically one season.

smith&wesson
11-23-2012, 06:25 PM
top 5 for his position sure but top 10 over all i wouldnt agree with.

HouRealCoach
11-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Well that's just me... There are a lot of players that have trash compared to the other players but KG was one of those guys that proved that he could be in contention if he had a better team. Unlike Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady (my FAVORITE player), & Vince Carter he won it all once he finally got some talent.

& you can't use Stephon Marbury if your trying to say he had a good team, also he had Spreewell & Cassell (Who got injured in the playoffs and so was Wally) was there for 2 years but how does that compare to Robinson or Parker/Ginobili? Kobe? Peja/Bibby? Nash/Finley? You can't...

You also gotta think about his emotion that he played with on both ends. He was one of those guys you could ALWAYS depend on to give it their all

Tony_Starks
11-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Well that's just me... There are a lot of players that have trash compared to the other players but KG was one of those guys that proved that he could be in contention if he had a better team. Unlike Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady (my FAVORITE player), & Vince Carter he won it all once he finally got some talent.

& you can't use Stephon Marbury if your trying to say he had a good team, also he had Spreewell & Cassell (Who got injured in the playoffs and so was Wally) was there for 2 years but how does that compare to Robinson or Parker/Ginobili? Kobe? Peja/Bibby? Nash/Finley? You can't...

You also gotta think about his emotion that he played with on both ends. He was one of those guys you could ALWAYS depend on to give it their all

I don't think its really fair to put AI in that category because he took a completely garbage team to the finals and pulled off a absolutely ridiculous classic game 1 win over the Lakers almost singledhandedly........

I get what you're saying he definitely had some questionable talent over the years and he put in work but when you're "the Big ticket" with a record breaking contract at the time then there's a lot expected of you.

Raidaz4Life
11-23-2012, 08:27 PM
I actually probably rank him higher than most people. But definitely not top 10 of all time.

Money_23
11-23-2012, 08:30 PM

joking?

DoMeFavors
11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
I always thought KG was better than Duncan, he was a better player, better mid range shooter, more athletic...and if KG was playing with Parker, David Robinson, Manu, Bowen he would win titles too. KG did it with nearly out of their primes Ray and Paul.

Baller1
11-23-2012, 08:32 PM
I'd say top 15-20 is more suitable for Garnett.

Baller1
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I always thought KG was better than Duncan, he was a better player, better mid range shooter, more athletic...and if KG was playing with Parker, David Robinson, Manu, Bowen he would win titles too. KG did it with nearly out of their primes Ray and Paul.

I actually agree with this. I think there's a solid chance KG wins more titles with the Spurs than Duncan.

bagwell368
11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
What do you mean by not clearly in the top 10? Are you suggesting a case could be made? KG is certainly top 20 all-time but I don't think he's CLEARLY top 15 as in there should be no discussion. But I'd definitely be interested in a case being made for top 10, let alone definitively top 15.

Geez I thought I was clear. KG is a top 15 all time NBA player. I don't think he can get into the top 10 however, maybe if he can pull off two years this year and next as good as last year, but that seems doubtful.

Overall Totals:

21st in games played regular season: 1267 (probably headed for 9-11 all time)

WS - 8th all time (likely retire in 6th)

PER - 20th all time

27th - WS/48

Defense:

DWS - 7th all time

Defensive rebounds - 4th all time. Should retire at #3.

steals - 20th all time.

blocks - 22nd all time

DRtg - 23rd all time

Offense:

OWS 23rd all time (probably 20th at retirement)

Offensive rebounding - 28th all time (should retire ~25th)

Assists - 52nd all time.

Looking at most of these you get a sense of maybe 20th place, but he's happening in every dimension, and his all time WS and DWS argues that he is top 10.

He is certainly ahead of Julius Erving in my book, and many have Erving around #10-14 (including his insane ABA stats).

KingPosey
11-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Wally?! You forgot a few players he had better than Wally man...

RLundi
11-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Geez I thought I was clear. KG is a top 15 all time NBA player. I don't think he can get into the top 10 however, maybe if he can pull off two years this year and next as good as last year, but that seems doubtful.

Overall Totals:

21st in games played regular season: 1267 (probably headed for 9-11 all time)

WS - 8th all time (likely retire in 6th)

PER - 20th all time

27th - WS/48

Defense:

DWS - 7th all time

Defensive rebounds - 4th all time. Should retire at #3.

steals - 20th all time.

blocks - 22nd all time

DRtg - 23rd all time

Offense:

OWS 23rd all time (probably 20th at retirement)

Offensive rebounding - 28th all time (should retire ~25th)

Assists - 52nd all time.

Looking at most of these you get a sense of maybe 20th place, but he's happening in every dimension, and his all time WS and DWS argues that he is top 10.

He is certainly ahead of Julius Erving in my book, and many have Erving around #10-14 (including his insane ABA stats).

An easy fix would be structuring your words better for more effective syntax. Thanks for clarifying.

RaginRondo17
11-23-2012, 11:29 PM
An easy fix would be structuring your words better for more effective syntax. Thanks for clarifying.

Comprehension skills lacking?

RLundi
11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Comprehension skills lacking?

Definitely a possibility, yes. Or, you know, the thing I said about syntax. But thanks for taking an active interest, it's very sweet.

JayW_1023
11-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Why is this thread made when Tim Duncan, in his 16th season, is the NBA's best PF as of right now?

KG always gets more love because he is flashier.

JayW_1023
11-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Show me facts, because I clearly haven't seen it that way. And I have seen all playoff series with KG and Timmy matching up.

kdspurman
11-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I actually agree with this. I think there's a solid chance KG wins more titles with the Spurs than Duncan.

I don't think you're factoring in Tims character and leadership/chemistry that he has with the spurs and coaching staff. You can't just pull out 1 guy and put another and think he has greater success based off #s alone.

Personally, KG doesn't gave the personality would've fit with their culture IMO.

bagwell368
11-24-2012, 02:03 PM

I wrote it just fine - for anyone that understands the nomenclature and assumptions used.

I was just being polite to you and everyone else by expounding on it in my latest post. Thanks for stopping by.

bagwell368
11-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Show me facts, because I clearly haven't seen it that way. And I have seen all playoff series with KG and Timmy matching up.

Basketball-reference Head2Head... have a ball.

bagwell368
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
KG always gets more love because he is flashier.

What have you been watching/reading? That's utter nonsense.