PDA

View Full Version : Does Kobe being on an "all-star team" decrease his chances as an MVP?

TheSource
11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
This is a question I've been wondering about for quite some time now.

Kobe is playing amazing basketball, there's no doubt about it. He leads the league in points while still having one of the best field goal percentages in the league. He's getting his teammates the ball, he's playing defense and he's occasionally fighting for the boards. He's playing a great overall game.

Yet through all of this, people still say he's just a candidate. Besides people having hate for him, I think one of the biggest reasons why people don't consider him more than just a candidate is because he's on a stacked team, even though he arguably needs to play better and have longer minutes with this team.

Do you agree and what do you think could the reasons could be for this?

el hidalgo
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
If he keeps it up at this pace, he is definitely in the MVP race. Thing is, Kobe has so many miles on him that he will probably slow down a little or get a nagging injury like a finger injury, foot injury, or yeast infection and go back to around what he averaged the past 2 seasons?

Ultimately I think LeBron wins it with Durant 2nd and kobe 3rd.

lakersiznumber1
11-22-2012, 10:02 PM
so do we take away lebron mvp because he has more stars around him than kobe? and oh yea nash has only played 2 games so far kobe is mvp but long way to go

Andrew32
11-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't think it should (or will) but by seasons end I think guys like Lebron, Durant and maybe a couple of others will have clearly separated themselves from Kobe in terms of individual ability, production and impact.

Kobe tends to play better towards the start of the season when his legs are fresh.

Gram
11-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Stop putting these threads in the NBA forum - go to the Laker forum where you can talk about Kobe all you want.

tredigs
11-22-2012, 11:15 PM
This is a question I've been wondering about for quite some time now.

Kobe is playing amazing basketball, there's no doubt about it. He leads the league in points while still having one of the best field goal percentages in the league. He's getting his teammates the ball, he's playing defense and he's occasionally fighting for the boards. He's playing a great overall game.

Yet through all of this, people still say he's just a candidate. Besides people having hate for him, I think one of the biggest reasons why people don't consider him more than just a candidate is because he's on a stacked team, even though he arguably needs to play better and have longer minutes with this team.

Do you agree and what do you think could the reasons could be for this?

Come back in March of 2013 if this is still a relevant topic. We haven't even seen 15 games yet. And as of now this All Star team is not a playoff team, so no, not a candidate in the least.

kblo247
11-23-2012, 01:33 AM
He hasn't had Nash, and Pau hasn't prod used anywhere near an all star on either end. I'm lost at the thought process, as only Dwight is playing well, but he is largely playing off Kobe anyhow

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 01:41 AM
He hasn't had Nash, and Pau hasn't prod used anywhere near an all star on either end. I'm lost at the thought process, as only Dwight is playing well, but he is largely playing off Kobe anyhow

lol yeah everyone on the Lakers sucks except Kobe and even Dwight (who has never been a good player before joining the Lakers) is only good cause he is playing off of Kobe.

:o

Sactown
11-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Maybe he's only a candidate because we're 11 games into the season. Nobody wins MVP this early...

kblo247
11-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Kobe and Dwight are the all stars. How can you count Nash in his total when he didn't even play a game and a half? How can you ignore that Pau is shooting in the low 40s on mostly open shots, and exploited purposely by teams as they have Json Thompson and Book Lopez facing him up and blowing by?

Dwight has had amazing efficiency but his full pop and strength isn't back, thus the strips, but he and Kobe have clicked well. Kobe finds him more than anyone and even when Pau finds him, it's because Kobe sets the hockey assist and draws the D from Pau for the high low oopmas Pau told the press.

You cant call Kobe and Dwight a team of all stars, especially to penalize Kobe when he's easily been the best player, and no one sans Dwight is playing at an all star level. MWP ip may as well be called part of the big 3 because he has had the third best season on the team to keep things in perceptive.

If Kobe should be penalized for Dwight, and you are going to include Nash in the all star count or Paus bad play as all star level, you may as well say Bron shouldn't be talked about since Bosh has led them in scoring in half their games, and Wades numbers despite being bad are superior to Pau. Heck if we just using past accolades, Melo doesn't deserve credit with that great Kidd and Sheed impact

Money_23
11-23-2012, 01:55 AM
lol yeah everyone on the Lakers sucks except Kobe and even Dwight (who has never been a good player before joining the Lakers) is only good cause he is playing off of Kobe.

:o

Isn't that exactly what Lebron fans said last year?

John Walls Era
11-23-2012, 02:00 AM
As long as the loved KD is in the league and Lebron James, theres very small chance Kobe will win it. But to answer the question: Yes to some voters.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Answer to your question...absolutely.

And on top of that, he began his career as a backup singer to Eddie Jones.

Greedy22
11-23-2012, 02:11 AM

:o to be fair I think he means having Kobe helps keep attention off Dwight and makes things easier, but it goes both ways. They have clearly been the 2 best players with metta being the 3rd best.

kblo247
11-23-2012, 02:25 AM
to be fair I think he means having Kobe helps keep attention off Dwight and makes things easier, but it goes both ways. They have clearly been the 2 best players with metta being the 3rd best.

Yah that is what I mean as Kobe gives Dwight more freedom than he has ever had, and he gives Kobe more honest D than he has seen since Shaq without the lane clutter

Greedy22
11-23-2012, 02:45 AM
to be fair I think he means having Kobe helps keep attention off Dwight and makes things easier, but it goes both ways. They have clearly been the 2 best players with metta being the 3rd best.

Yah that is what I mean as Kobe gives Dwight more freedom than he has ever had, and he gives Kobe more honest D than he has seen since Shaq without the lane clutter yeah I thought so. I like it that way, we get a more dominant and much more efficient Kobe when he's not being doubled and even tripled at times.

kblo247
11-23-2012, 03:28 AM
I do too. If Pau would just hit his shots the team would be hard to beat, guys are now leaving him open from 15-17 over Ron because Ron actually is hitting the money ball at his career averages

Greedy22
11-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Yeah, it'd be nice if Pau would get himself in post position more often and hit that 15-17 footer at his career mark. It's nice to see MWP getting back to his career averages, it seems to make him more active on the defensive end.

kblo247
11-23-2012, 03:37 AM
I don't get when Pau plays with 4 bench players and then feeds Jordan Hill in the post and stands still. He started the fourth with the, and didn't take a shot at all until after Kobe and Dwight came back, it makes no sense

Greedy22
11-23-2012, 05:09 AM
He's just too passive, he has really been that ever since that Dallas playoff series. It bothers me that he isn't more assertive, an assertive Pau was a vital piece to winning back-to-back titles.

Minimal
11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Ok I'll put it simple. Lakers 6-6 with Dwight, Kobe and Pau and they are not even 8th seed in the west now. What makes you think Kobe deserves to be an MVP at this moment? He has worse PER than LeBron and Lakers record sux. If they will be 1st or 2nd seed in the west than he will go head to head with LeBron in MVP race.

Does Kobe being on an "all-star team" decrease his chances as an MVP?
-Yes, ofcourse. He arguably is 2nd best player on the team, how can he be MVP if he is not MVP in his team?

RLundi
11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Too many Kobe threads. Make these in the Lakers forum and leave the rest of us in peace. Or mods please merge some threads. This is getting ridiculous, almost as bad as the daily Knicks threads.

Supa
11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
If anything, because of the missing time by Nash, the sports writers can not falsely attribute Kobe's increased efficiency to Nash.

They will not be able to take away from Kobe and give credit to Nash this time.

---

nickdymez
11-23-2012, 11:46 AM
The dumbest posts in here are from Heat fans by far!

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
The dumbest posts in here are from Heat fans by far!

It has been that way since lebron joined them, a guy says how can he be MVP when he's arguably the 2nd best player on the team lol

KnicksorBust
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
It's been proven over and over... being on an "All Star Team" as you put it, doesn't hurt your chances and in fact it probably helps it.

See:
James, LeBron
Johnson, Magic
Bird, Larry
Reed, Willis
Russell, Bill

Minimal
11-23-2012, 01:35 PM
It has been that way since lebron joined them, a guy says how can he be MVP when he's arguably the 2nd best player on the team lol
So ur saying Kobe is definetely better than Dwight?

Yanks All Day
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
No, Kobe being in the same league as LeBron James decreases his chances as an MVP.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
So ur saying Kobe is definetely better than Dwight?

He is at least up until this point in the season and that's been my believe all along

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Ok I'll put it simple. Lakers 6-6 with Dwight, Kobe and Pau and they are not even 8th seed in the west now. What makes you think Kobe deserves to be an MVP at this moment? He has worse PER than LeBron and Lakers record sux. If they will be 1st or 2nd seed in the west than he will go head to head with LeBron in MVP race.

Does Kobe being on an "all-star team" decrease his chances as an MVP?
-Yes, ofcourse. He arguably is 2nd best player on the team, how can he be MVP if he is not MVP in his team?

Remember when the Heat started 9-8 together in the WEAK EAST ??

It'd be much appreciated if a Heat fan that annually plays in the Weak East talking about record and standings simply not talk at all.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-23-2012, 02:32 PM
No, Kobe being in the same league as LeBron James decreases his chances as an MVP.

How does that decrease his chances? All that's telling me that even after 17 years he's still considered to be in the best in the NBA category since you said lebrons league... That only makes his case stronger

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 02:35 PM
How does that decrease his chances? All that's telling me that even after 17 years he's still considered to be in the best in the NBA category since you said lebrons league... That only makes his case stronger

Chill brah, all we need are 2 things in Lakerland.

The Larry O'Brien Trophy, and the Bill Russell NBA Finals MVP.

If LeBron or anyone else wants, they can take the Maurice Podoloff League MVP Trophy. Just let us have the other two.

Minimal
11-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Remember when the Heat started 9-8 together in the WEAK EAST ??

It'd be much appreciated if a Heat fan that annually plays in the Weak East talking about record and standings simply not talk at all.
Why are u talking about Heat. Yeah they started weak and noone even talked about LeBron being the MVP, in the end he didn't win it anyway. There is simple rule in MVP race - if ur team is not top 2 in one of the conference that means you are not gonna win an MVP. If Lakers were 1st or 2nd in west, than yeah Kobe would be head to head with LBJ, Durant and CP3 for MVP. But Lakers are 6-6, yet I see Kobe MVP threads everywhere.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Why are u talking about Heat. Yeah they started weak and noone even talked about LeBron being the MVP, in the end he didn't win it anyway. There is simple rule in MVP race - if ur team is not top 2 in one of the conference that means you are not gonna win an MVP. If Lakers were 1st or 2nd in west, than yeah Kobe would be head to head with LBJ, Durant and CP3 for MVP. But Lakers are 6-6, yet I see Kobe MVP threads everywhere.

Of course they did, LeBron was still putting up "godly PER numbers" and was just coming off of 2 straight league MVPs in Cleveland, how would the media and general fan base not overrate him since he was the 2x defending league MVP going into that new season in a Heat uniform (despite joining Wade and Bosh) ?

Minimal
11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Of course they did, LeBron was still putting up "godly PER numbers" and was just coming off of 2 straight league MVPs in Cleveland, how would the media and general fan base not overrate him since he was the 2x defending league MVP going into that new season in a Heat uniform (despite joining Wade and Bosh) ?
Cmon man. At the start of the season it was all about Rose and Amare. Then Heat starting winning games and people started talking about LeBron being the MVP. In the end Rose won MVP, Dwight was 2nd and LeBron 3rd.