PDA

View Full Version : Will Shaq have his number retired in three Buildings?

Hellcrooner
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Theres reason for him to get his number retired in :

Lakers = lead them to 3 titles.
Heat= Was key in their 1st title ever.
Magic= Lead them to their first finals.

for the moment the ONLY player that has that Honour is Wilt Chamberlain
Warriors/Sixers/Lakers.

So? will he?

The list of players with their number retired in two buildings:

Nate Thurmond ( Cavs and Warriors)
Lanier ( Pistons and Bucks)
Drexler ( blazers and Rockets)
Moses Malone ( rockets and sixers)
Dr J ( nets and Sixers)
Kareem ( Bucks and Lakers)
Earl Monroe ( Bullets and Knicks)
Barkley ( sixers and suns)
Big O ( Kings and Bucks)

feasable Candidates to have it in two buildings:
Aguirre ( Mavs and Pistons)
archibald ( kings and celtics)
Sikma ( Bucks and sonics)
Chambers ( Suns and sonics)
Maravich ( Jazz and Hawks)
hornacek ( Jazz and Suns)
B king ( Bulles and Knicks)
j Wilkes ( Warriors and Lakers)
garnett ( wolves and Celtics)
Lebron ( Heat and Cavs)
gasol ( grizz and Lakers)
Nash ( Suns and Mavs)

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Well, he's going to get his Lakers jersey retired this season.

He should get his jersey retired in MIami as he changed the culture of South Beach of starting the trend of superstars wanting to go there.

And he was Orlando's first premier Franchise Player.

PHX, CLE and BOS: no

heyman321
11-22-2012, 04:16 PM
He'll get his jersey retired in 32 stadiums.

Big Zo
11-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, he's going to get his Lakers jersey retired this season.

He should get his jersey retired in MIami as he changed the culture of South Beach of starting the trend of superstars wanting to go there.

And he was Orlando's first premier Franchise Player.

PHX, CLE and BOS: no

He left Miami talking **** about the organization. Doubt he gets it retired here.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 04:19 PM
He left Miami talking **** about the organization. Doubt he gets it retired here.

He talked 100x more **** about the Lakers organization when he was traded, currently talks **** about the Lakers new future franchise player (D12), and he's getting his jersey retired this April.

Big Zo
11-22-2012, 04:23 PM
He talked 100x more **** about the Lakers organization when he was traded, currently talks **** about the Lakers new future franchise player (D12), and he's getting his jersey retired this April.

He played most of his career there, tho. It would just look bad on the Lakers if they didn't. Besides, he was never the best player on the Heat.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 04:28 PM
He played most of his career there, tho. It would just look bad on the Lakers if they didn't. Besides, he was never the best player on the Heat.

That's not the point, he changed the culture of that team. You think Miami would have won a championship if they never acquired Shaq?

And do you think as a result of no championships, would LeBron and Bosh ever go there to join Wade?

No, instead, Wade probably would have left Miami in the summer of 2010 to join wherever LeBron or Bosh would be.

The fact is, Shaq changed that culture in Miami, guys like Toine, GP, Jason Williams, Posey etc all wanted to play for him, they (and Kapono) were the perfect complimentary shooters to surround a post-player like Shaq who was so good at passing out of double and triple teams.

Wade was the best player, but having a guy like Shaq made making personnel decisions and supporting cast easy to orchestrate for Riles, and the perfect system was already in place there too. Shaq the post player, the shooters that complimented him, and then a stud of a perimeter player in Wade.

Gritz
11-22-2012, 04:28 PM
No

bal_ravens
11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Jordan has his number retired in two buildings as well.

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 04:40 PM
That's not the point, he changed the culture of that team. You think Miami would have won a championship if they never acquired Shaq?

And do you think as a result of no championships, would LeBron and Bosh ever go there to join Wade?

No, instead, Wade probably would have left Miami in the summer of 2010 to join wherever LeBron or Bosh would be.

The fact is, Shaq changed that culture in Miami, guys like Toine, GP, Jason Williams, Posey etc all wanted to play for him, they (and Kapono) were the perfect complimentary shooters to surround a post-player like Shaq who was so good at passing out of double and triple teams.

Wade was the best player, but having a guy like Shaq made making personnel decisions and supporting cast easy to orchestrate for Riles, and the perfect system was already in place there too. Shaq the post player, the shooters that complimented him, and then a stud of a perimeter player in Wade.

yeah i agree 3 star players in their 20's wouldn't have come to miami if it wasnt for a championship in 2006 they would have gone to raptors or cavs instead

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 04:41 PM
yeah i agree 3 star players in their 20's wouldn't have come to miami if it wasnt for a championship in 2006 they would have gone to raptors or cavs instead

LeBron & Wade probably would have gone to New York.

Hellcrooner
11-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Jordan has his number retired in two buildings as well.

not really.

23 is hanging but not retired ( players can use the number) in Miami.

it was a stupid thing to have it there anyway.

StarvingKnick22
11-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Definitely not for the Heat.

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Wade doesn't like the cold weather so why would he go to New York ? The only other place I could imagine Wade would leave for is Chicago which is his home town. Those 3 were coming to Miami regardless I think it's pretty unfair to give Shaq the credit for that

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Wade doesn't like the cold weather so why would he go to New York ? The only other place I could imagine Wade would leave for is Chicago which is his home town. Those 3 were coming to Miami regardless I think it's pretty unfair to give Shaq the credit for that

Part of the reason LeBron went to South Beach I thought was because Pat Riley sold him on the rings.

Now, what do you think is more enamoring, showing off a ring that you won 22 yrs prior in 1988 with the Lakers....

Or a very recent one just 4 yrs prior with the Heat in 2006?

godolphins
11-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Pat Riley changed the culture of this team. He's the one who brought in guys like Mourning, Hardaway, Wade, Shaq, Bosh and LeBron.

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Part of the reason LeBron went to South Beach I thought was because Pat Riley sold him on the rings.

Now, what do you think is more enamoring, showing off a ring that you won 22 yrs prior in 1988 with the Lakers....

Or a very recent one just 4 yrs prior with the Heat in 2006?

LeBron lived in a boring town for his entire life I think Riley sold him on the city, on the cap space for 3 biggest stars in free agency, and Riley has taken every team he's ever coached to the NBA Finals. I don't think it had anything to do with winning in 2006. Riley (if people want to admit it or not) pulled off the biggest move in NBA HISTORY and I'm sure his game plan for the entire thing was a 2006 ring. Shaq was amazing no question and the same "party" we had for Bosh, Wade, and LeBron we also had for Shaq(championship type of parade for him when he arrived) and this city was hyped to have one of the games greatest centers playing for this city and I take nothing away from him

Mr_Jones
11-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Only in LA. That's it.

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 05:10 PM
These young stars don't want to play for some of the more boring cities that drafted them. These kids want to play for L.A.(Lakers, or Clippers), New York, Brooklyn, Miami, etc etc... The game has changed and we need to deal with that. But back on the subject I feel like Shaq's number should only be retired at the Staples center. He did so much for that team

JordansBulls
11-22-2012, 05:40 PM
not really.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/6310850

Then the Heat retired his jersey, hanging it from the arena's rafters. As the Heat unveiled the half-Chicago Bulls, half-Wizards jersey, Riley said no Heat player will wear the number again.

"In honor of your greatness and for all you've done for the game of basketball - and not just the NBA, but for all the fans around the world - we want to honor you tonight and hang your jersey, No. 23, from the rafters," Riley said at midcourt. "No one will ever wear No. 23 for the Miami Heat. You're the best."

"Having our guys walk onto the court and look up to see how high you have to climb to reach what he has achieved is something that I think is honorable," Riley said. "I just believe he deserves it. The guy has been the greatest player in the history of the game, and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for every team in this league to hang his number in the rafters as a reminder of what greatness is all about."

Jordan said he was surprised by the gesture.

"It was by far the best gift I ever could have received," Jordan said. "To have your jersey retired in someone else's building, that says a lot. ... It's definitely something very, very special."

gotoHcarolina52
11-22-2012, 06:15 PM
The HEAT also hung Dan Marino's jersey in their rafters, through HEAT players are allowed to wear #13 (e.g., Mike Miller).

http://www.truthaboutit.net/uploaded_images/jordan-jersey-miami-751361.jpg

The Jordan one I understand, but "honoring" Dan Marino is odd to begin with, and to do so without actually retiring his number is just weird.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Pat Riley changed the culture of this team. He's the one who brought in guys like Mourning, Hardaway, Wade, Shaq, Bosh and LeBron.

Well, I still think Shaq should have his jersey retired. And Zo and Hardaway too.

TylerSL
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Shaq wont have his jersey retired in Miami.

So far, Miami has retired the Jerseys of
#10 Tim Hardaway
#33 Alonzo Mourning
#23 Michael Jordan

Miami will also retire the numbers of
#3 Dwyane Wade
#40 Udonis Haslem

Possible to get their jerseys retired
#6 Lebron James
#1 Chris Bosh

While Shaq was vital to our 2006 championship, he really was not here long enough (3.5 years) and left on bad terms with Riley.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Shaq wont have his jersey retired in Miami.

So far, Miami has retired the Jerseys of
#10 Tim Hardaway
#33 Alonzo Mourning
#23 Michael Jordan

Miami will also retire the numbers of
#3 Dwyane Wade
#40 Udonis Haslem

Possible to get their jerseys retired
#6 Lebron James
#1 Chris Bosh

While Shaq was vital to our 2006 championship, he really was not here long enough (3.5 years) and left on bad terms with Riley.

Just because he's been with the Heat for like 7 or 8 yrs, Udonis Haslem of all people gets his jersey retired over the great Shaq? :confused:

JNA17
11-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Leaves the Magic to bite the dust for the Lakers. Talks crap about the Lakers and Kobe so he gets traded, talks crap about Miami and gets traded, then so on.

Honestly, Shaq is lucky that the Lakers decided to be the team to retire his jersey. While he played a big part in the lakers three straight titles, Lakers could have easily said "screw you" to him and not many people would object to it, especially considering how much of a child Shaq acts like most of the time.

RLundi
11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Definitely not in Orlando or Miami. Both cities still dislike Shaq, especially Orlando for deserting the 'pond.'

But I could see LA retiring his jersey, absolutely.

ee
11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Not sure about culture changing in miami, I've always thought of them as a top team in the east and was a team on the rise with a young wade, odom and caron when shaq was dealt there....

Amburger
11-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Love Shaq so I wouldn't mind seeing it retired in all 3.

He is part of the reason the Heat became my team.

RLundi
11-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Just because he's been with the Heat for like 7 or 8 yrs, Udonis Haslem of all people gets his jersey retired over the great Shaq? :confused:

It doesn't matter how great Shaq was- and he wasn't even that great in Miami- he flew through town and left the city with a bad taste in its mouth. Udonis Haslem is a Miami lifer. I could definitely see them retiring his jersey to show him deep respect and appreciation when it's all said and done.

ee
11-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Kidd will have his in 2 buildings....

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
It doesn't matter how great Shaq was- and he wasn't even that great in Miami- he flew through town and left the city with a bad taste in its mouth. Udonis Haslem is a Miami lifer. I could definitely see them retiring his jersey to show him deep respect and appreciation when it's all said and done.

Wade, Bron, Bosh, and UD will have their jerseys retired. UD has is the all time leader in rebounds now, turned down a 10 mil a year contract to stay with miami for 4 mil a year, and is the heart and soul of this team and city. He might not mean much to you but UD means a whole lot to us

RLundi
11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Wade, Bron, Bosh, and UD will have their jerseys retired. UD has is the all time leader in rebounds now, turned down a 10 mil a year contract to stay with miami for 4 mil a year, and is the heart and soul of this team and city. He might not mean much to you but UD means a whole lot to us

Did you even read my post? You do realize I completely agreed with everything you just said don't you?

JasonJohnHorn
11-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Dr J ( nets and Sixers)
Big O ( Kings and Bucks)

You forgot Jordan, his is retired in Chi-town and MIA

With Shaq, I expect him to get it retired in all three.

FlashMacker
11-22-2012, 07:30 PM

That's what I was thinking too lol. If the Heat didn't have Shaq they wouldn't have won that title back in 06. Obviously the Lakers should retire his jersey since he played his best years there. I think the Heat should too. I don't care if he left on 'bad terms' he was a key player in the franchises first championship.

IIISSKiLL
11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Did you even read my post? You do realize I completely agreed with everything you just said don't you?

I quoted the wrong post

Ty Fast
11-22-2012, 07:56 PM
not really.

didnt the heat do something with dan marino's number too and mike miller wears 13???

The goods
11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
He deserves to get his number retired by the Lakers and that's barley in my book the way he trashed us, and still trashes us, but 3 championships is 3 championships.

justinnum1
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM

:laugh2:

:facepalm:

TheNumber37
11-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Lakers Yes
HEAT and ORlando maybe (more likely for the former)

Andrew32
11-22-2012, 08:45 PM
He left Miami talking **** about the organization
Pretty sure he just talked crap against Pat Riley.
I don't recall him ever badmouthing the franchise itself or its fans.

So... maybe once Pat retires the Heat will put Shaq's numbers to the rafters.

Borough
11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I could see it happening with the Lakers and possibly the Heat but Orlando seems a little far fetched.

TylerSL
11-22-2012, 10:09 PM

uhhh, yea definately

First of all, Haslem has been here for 10 years, and has been vital to us winning both championships. But yes, he will get his jersey retired here after he is done playing, and sooner rather than later. 2 times Haslem has taken significantly less money to stay in Miami. Haslem broke the Heat all time record for rebounds just last night, and is the all time Heat leader in games played. Haslem has hit many clutch shots for the team, and has been here for both titles. Haslem has been a leader on the team (a team captain for 6 years now), and a leader within the community. Haslem represents the culture in Miami Heat basketball, and has brought the city of Miami alot more than Shaq.

TylerSL
11-22-2012, 10:21 PM

I lol'd

lol, please
11-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Theres reason for him to get his number retired in :

Lakers = lead them to 3 titles.
Heat= Was key in their 1st title ever.
Magic= Lead them to their first finals.

for the moment the ONLY player that has that Honour is Wilt Chamberlain
Warriors/Sixers/Lakers.

So? will he?

Dr J ( nets and Sixers)
Big O ( Kings and Bucks)

feasable Candidates to have it in two buildings:
Aguirre ( Mavs and Pistons)
archibald ( kings and celtics)
Sikma ( Bucks and sonics)
Chambers ( Suns and sonics)
Maravich ( Jazz and Hawks)
hornacek ( Jazz and Suns)
B king ( Bulles and Knicks)
j Wilkes ( Warriors and Lakers)
garnett ( wolves and Celtics)
Lebron ( Heat and Cavs)
gasol ( grizz and Lakers)
Nash ( Suns and Mavs)
Absolutely. Without question. Shaq is one of the GOAT.

lol, please
11-23-2012, 03:12 AM

Shaq wasn't great in Miami? I want what this guy had to drink.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Shaq talks crap about GM Kupchak and Owner Dr. Buss but yet still gets his jersey retired.

Shaq talks crap about GM Riley but nothing against Owner Mickey Arison, but yet won't get his jersey retired?

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Shaq talks crap about GM Kupchak and Owner Dr. Buss but yet still gets his jersey retired.

What did Shaq ever say to those two?

Don't say "pay me comment" because Buss said that Shaq said it in jest and he wasn't offended at all by it.

SMH!
11-23-2012, 04:30 AM
not really.

no its retired..

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 04:49 AM
What did Shaq ever say to those two?

Don't say "pay me comment" because Buss said that Shaq said it in jest and he wasn't offended at all by it.

The Lakers' owner said in May 2005 that Shaq got in shape only because he was motivated by his trade to Miami. "I didn't need motivation," Shaq fired back. "I needed a real owner, not a guy that parties with girls three times (younger) than him. When you're 60, hang out with 60-year-olds, not 20-year-olds. You can quote me on that. I've got nothing else to say about Jerry Buss."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.13.html

Feel dumb now?

Please retire from PSD! :facepalm:

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 04:51 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/nba.shaq.speaks.his.mind/content.13.html

Feel dumb now?

No I don't.

Buss attacked him in the media first so... kind of hard to use that against Shaq.
When did Shaq (unprovoked) say anything bad against Buss or Kupchak...?

Still waiting. :)

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 04:53 AM
No I don't.

Buss attacked him in the media first so... kind of hard to use that against Shaq.
When did Shaq (unprovoked) say anything bad against Buss or Kupchak...?

Still waiting. :)

Oh, so now it's the "provoked/unprovoked game" :laugh:

Your question was "What did Shaq EVER say to those two?"

What a loser! Seriously. Go bury yourself alive!

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Oh, so now it's the "provoked/unprovoked game" :laugh:

Your question was "What did Shaq EVER say to those two?"

No but trying to paint Shaq as a bad guy for "talking crap" when he was only responding to "crap talk" by said person is misleading.

Plus you said he talked crap about Kupchak... gonna prove that also or should we just take your word for it?

You've been exposed now go back to your Lakers forum. :speechless:

Also, you mad?

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 05:02 AM
No but trying to paint Shaq as a bad guy for "talking crap" when he was only responding to "crap talk" by said person is misleading.

Plus you said he talked crap about Kupchak... gonna prove that also or should we just take your word for it?

You've been exposed now go back to your Lakers forum. :speechless:

Also, you mad?

He did, he said that after Jerry West left the Lakers, Shaq called himself the GM of the Lakers and took all the credit of the Gary Payton and Karl Malone signings in the summer of 2003.

Once the 2003-04 season ended, however, O’Neal was disturbed by an apparent interview in which Kupchak revealed the Lakers’ plan to hold onto Bryant while keeping their options open with O’Neal. ‘That was it. That was the end of me in a Lakers uniform. Mitch broke our agreement. How could I trust him again?’ Shaq writes in the book. ‘For months, I kept waiting for Mitch to come to me and say, ‘Shaq, you’re getting older, we need some new players. Mr. Buss doesn’t want to pay you and Kobe doesn’t want you here.’ But that conversation never happened. So that was when I demanded a trade. I couldn’t trust Mitch anymore and it was clear Kobe was now the one with all the power.’

Shaq says, he no longer felt any support from the Lakers’ front office once Kupchak succeeded Jerry West after the 1999-2000 season. ‘Once you deal with someone like Jerry West, you better come up with someone pretty special to keep my attention,’ O’Neal writes. ‘Unfortunately, Mitch wasn’t that guy for me. We never got along. Mitch looked out for two people: himself and Jerry Buss. The rest of us were afterthoughts.’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/11/shaquille-oneal-mitch-kupchak-to-blame-for-trade-from-lakers/

Quit while you're ahead clown!

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 05:04 AM
lol you call that talking crap about someone?
He was speaking the truth about the situation and how he felt about the man.

He was very respectful and didn't say anything insulting.

Try harder man.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 05:06 AM
When you claim that a dude looks out only for himself and the guy that signs his paychecks, that's basically talking about a guy in a negative light.

Go to sleep little Andrew. Drink your milk, eat your cookies, and have mommy tuck you in. It's way past your bedtime on the East Coast.

Andrew32
11-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Well if that is how "you" view it I can respect that.

I really don't see anything at all that he said in that interview that could be deemed disrespectful
Was he supposed to lie about what was going on and say he trusted the man when he didn't?

Grasping at straws m8... grasping at straws.

Good Night.

Greedy22
11-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Shaq is getting his number retired for everything he did in a Lakers uniform, Dr. Buss surely appreciates what Shaq did in his tenure as a laker, I'm more than certain those words said 8-9 years ago are water under the bridge. I don't find his comments disrepectful, he most likely felt slighted and was probably still emotional about the situation, can't really blame him for that. You 2 need to just hug it out :)

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Well if that is how "you" view it I can respect that.

I really don't see anything at all that he said in that interview that could be deemed disrespectful
Was he supposed to lie about what was going on and say he trusted the man when he didn't?

Grasping at straws m8... grasping at straws.

Good Night.

You clearly look at things from one perspective.

I look at things from both perspectives.

Here's one thing I'll admit about the Shaq-Kobe feud that would not play in Kobe's favor...

It was wrong and a **** punk move for him to rat out Shaq when he said that Shaq paid women to shut their mouths.

That was a punk, inexcusable ******* move by Kobe as he broke "the man code", and to this day, I stand by the fact that Kobe was an idiot and flat out WRONG and a damn punk for trying to cover up for his own misdoings in Colorado.

See, I can admit those things about my favorite player.

You are incapable of criticizing your own party (God forbid if they're not the angel that you thought they were to begin with).

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm done with you kid.

abe_froman
11-23-2012, 05:24 AM
most likey he will.he left everywhere on bad terms sure, but the prestige of having his name in the rafters outweighs everything.bad feelings fade with time

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-23-2012, 05:28 AM
most likey he will.he left everywhere on bad terms sure, but the prestige of having his name in the rafters outweighs everything.bad feelings fade with time

Exactly, my point in this thread has been that he very well damn sure should get his jersey retired in Miami as well.

The way he left Miami on bad terms is NOTHING compared to the way he left LA.

Heat fans are making it out to be such a big thing that he dissed Riles, but his anger towards Lakers management and ownership was even more well documented.

And when eyeing talent and doing mock drafts and critiquing players, doesn't Shaq call himself "The Black Pat Riley?"

That shows to me that he respects Riles eye for talent and his managerial services.

And when Miami won the 2012 title, was Shaq not showing love to Riles in person when they had the post-championship celebration interview with Shaq, Riles, and the NBA TV crew?

Heat fans IMO are overblowing this whole Riles-Shaq thing as they don't know that that little feud is minuscule compared to the Shaq-LA bad terms.

Gram
11-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Shaquille O'Neal.

todu82
11-23-2012, 10:24 AM
No, can't see Miami retiring his number.

Stuckey#3
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Rodman is already retired in the D. He should get retired in Chi-town as well.