PDA

View Full Version : OKC's Kevin Martin is the most efficient scorer in the league this season

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/51750/kevin-martin-is-super-efficient

Kevin Martin has been the most efficient scorer in the NBA this season. Martin leads the league in points per play of the 137 players with at least 100 plays, according to Synergy Sports.

Another way to prove Martin has been the most efficient scorer in the NBA this season is his true shooting percentage, a measure of shooting efficiency that takes into account field goals, 3-pointers and free throws. In that regard, Martin ranks first in the league among players with at least 250 minutes.

WHY HAS MARTIN BEEN SO EFFICIENT?

He doesnít have to create his own offense as often this season.

Martin is playing off the ball more this season alongside Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, as compared to last season when he had the ball in his hands more often. His usage percentage -Ė an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while heís on the floor -- is 22.3, his lowest since 2005-06, his sophomore campaign with the Sacramento Kings.

Martin is second in the NBA this season in catch-and-shoot points (behind O.J. Mayo). Heís shooting 52.1 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers and has a 75 effective field-goal percentage on those shots.

Now that he isnít the focal point of his teamís offense, Martin is able to let his offense come to him. As a result, his shooting numbers have blossomed in Oklahoma City.

In 2011-12, Martin shot just 34.9 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers, which ranked 134th of the 175 players with at least 100 catch-and-shoot jumpers. Catch-and-shoot accounted for 37.5 percent of his jump shots last season, while it accounts for 51.1 percent this season.

Need more evidence that Martin isnít nearly as ball-dominant anymore? This season, 31.4 percent of his plays are spot-up, as compared to 19.3 percent last season. Isolation accounted for 22.4 percent of his plays last season, while that number is down to 17.9 percent this season.

THUNDER ARE BETTER WITH MARTIN

The Thunder have been a much better team with Martin on the court. They're scoring 19.9 more points per 48 minutes than they are with Martin on the bench. They're shooting better, especially from beyond the arc, and getting to the free-throw line more than twice as often with Martin on the floor.

How impressive is Martinís season thus far? Letís put it in perspective:

ē Only one player in NBA history has had a true shooting percentage higher than Martinís current 70.2 percentage (Tyson Chandler Ė 70.8 last season).

ē Martin currently averages 17.6 points per game with a 48.7 field-goal percentage and 53.6 3-point percentage. Nobody in NBA history has finished a season with those numbers. Detlef Schrempf (in 1994-95) is the only player to average at least 15 points per game with a 45 field-goal percentage and 50 3-point percentage.

ē Thus far, Martin has a career high in field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage, free-throw percentage and offensive rating this season.

If Martin continues on this pace of super offensive efficiency, the Thunder wonít regret trading Harden for him.

Most Points per Play This Season
Minimum 100 Plays
Kevin Martin<< 1.24
Ray Allen 1.21
Jamal Crawford 1.14
O.J. Mayo 1.13
Chris Bosh 1.11
>>70.2 true shooting percentage
(leads NBA - minimum 250 minutes)

Kevin Martin Catch-and-Shoot Jumpers
Last 2 Seasons
2011-12 2012-13
FG pct 34.9 52.1
Eff FG pct 47.9 75.0
Pts per play 0.97 1.5

Thunder This Season
With Kevin Martin On/Off Court
On Off
Pts per 48 mins 109.3 89.4
FG pct 50.8 44.5
3-pt FG pct 46.4 38.2
FTA per 48 mins 34.6 14.0
True shooting pct 63.9 51.5

Sactown
11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Dang he's been impressive, he has great off the ball movement and draws fouls with ease. And it looks like he hasn't been forcing anything this season

dh144498
11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
he shoots 3's better than he shoots 2's.

Ebbs
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Should surprise no one. He was always a talent scorer now he gets to come in a lot of the time against second units. He also has opposing teams trying to focus their defense on Westy and KD. OKC 6th man is a nice job to have.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Martin>Harden

Jesse2272
11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Great scorer just not an all around great BBall talent

KB24PG16
11-21-2012, 05:43 PM
i still have to watch the thunder play this season

topdog
11-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Replace Harden with Martin in the Finals last year and you have a totally different series. Besides Harden being off, what OKC lacked most was someone to hit open threes off of all the attention Durant and Westbrook draw. Not surprising, but not saying that Martin gets them to the Finals either.

RLundi
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
He can't keep this up but I like what he's doing so far. I think Harden (who's still very good) isn't as irreplaceable as many (including me) thought.

torocan
11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Shouldn't read too much into this.

He's not only playing alot with the 2nd Unit against inferior competition, but he's the #2/3 scoring option, so gets ALOT less attention on starting units than Durant and Westbrook.

His efficiency actually drops a ton as soon as both Durant and Westbrook are off the floor.

Top 6 most common lineups involving Martin... http://www.82games.com/1213/12OKC5.HTM

Westbrook-Martin-Durant-Ibaka-Perkins, 77 minutes, 1.14 ppp
Westbrook-Martin-Durant-Ibaka-Collison, 38 minutes, 1.05 ppp
Maynor-Martin-Durant-Collison-Thabeet, 27 minutes, 1.19 ppp
Westbrook-Martin-Sefolosha-Durant-Ibaka, 25 minutes, 1.24 ppp
Maynor-Martin-Sefolosha-Collison-Thabeet, 21 minutes, .93 ppp
Maynor-Martin-Jones-Collison-Thabeet, 19 minutes, .97 ppp

Remember, the sample size is also VERY small... we'll get a better idea by the All Star break.

Jesse2272
11-21-2012, 05:54 PM

He's not only playing alot with the 2nd Unit against inferior competition, but he's the #2/3 scoring option, so gets ALOT less attention on starting units than Durant and Westbrook.

His efficiency actually drops a ton as soon as both Durant and Westbrook are off the floor.

Top 6 most common lineups involving Martin... http://www.82games.com/1213/12OKC5.HTM

Remember, the sample size is also VERY small... we'll get a better idea by the All Star break.

Thanks Toro

great insight my man as always

Htownballa1622
11-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Martin>Harden

Every time you post, i :facepalm:

nycericanguy
11-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Martin has ALWAYS been an incredibly efficient scorer. He hits alot of 3's and gets to the FT a ton. I don't get why HOU fans trashed him.

And of course playing alongside Durant & WB is only helping his efficiency.

Like I said earlier, Martin was a better fit alongside Lin in HOU for this season and the near future as he would have allowed Lin to run the offense. But obviously long term Harden was an upgrade for them.

sep11ie
11-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Him, domefavors and dnewguy are the reason a facepalm was invented.

Sactown
11-21-2012, 06:09 PM

But isn't that a given? of course when you're not the focus of the defense, or if you're playing against a 2nd unit you're efficiency is going to go up. I think the article was more of a praise of how well he is doing in his given role.. Every team has a 2nd and 3rd option and even with that he's performing the best.

Chronz
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
If Martin continues on this pace of super offensive efficiency, the Thunder won’t regret trading Harden for him.

Thats a dumb way of ending an article. Really... your expecting him to keep up a TS% of 70? LMFAO What a dolt

Anyways hes been on fire, but those numbers on J-Crossover are ridiculous. Hes not just catching and shooting, hes taking off balance/off the dribble jumpers as well. That will come crashing down eventually but its a good sign for both of these players.

If he would have been this efficient of a spot-up shooter last year, the Rockets may have made the playoffs.

sep11ie
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Wait till he gets one of his nagging little injuries.

Htownballa1622
11-21-2012, 06:16 PM

:nod: true.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 07:09 PM

:facepalm: it was clearly a joke

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 07:10 PM

You're a homer. It was a joke :facepalm: pull your skirt down kid

Htownballa1622
11-21-2012, 07:48 PM
:facepalm: it was clearly a joke

oh yeah. Because i can take your tone, or facial expressions into consideration:rolleyes:

you say a lot of dumb things. Why wouldn't I put this in that category?

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
oh yeah. Because i can take your tone, or facial expressions into consideration:rolleyes:

you say a lot of dumb things. Why wouldn't I put this in that category?

Cool story kid

Lets not pull your post history and the stupid things you've said on here :facepalm:

abe_froman
11-21-2012, 07:58 PM
tried to tell people when the trade happened that he wasnt so bad(when many here were calling him crap or nothing,ect.)

tapajafri
11-21-2012, 08:18 PM
This isn't news. Martin has ALWAYS been one of the most efficient players in the league.

Back when he was on the Kings, he would put up 25 points per game on about 11 shots and 9 free throws. Incredibly efficient.

Htownballa1622
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Cool story kid

Lets not pull your post history and the stupid things you've said on here :facepalm:

:yawn:

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
This isn't news. Martin has ALWAYS been one of the most efficient players in the league.

Back when he was on the Kings, he would put up 25 points per game on about 11 shots and 9 free throws. Incredibly efficient.

This

b@llhog24
11-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Martin>Harden

No.

b@llhog24
11-22-2012, 11:51 AM
tried to tell people when the trade happened that he wasnt so bad(when many here were calling him crap or nothing,ect.)

These.

kenzo400
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Too bad OKC cannot resign him lol

MagicBucsSox
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
He can't keep this up but I like what he's doing so far. I think Harden (who's still very good) isn't as irreplaceable as many (including me) thought.

Lmao he can't keep this up? Dude this is what he does.

Swashcuff
11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
If Martin continues on this pace of super offensive efficiency, the Thunder won’t regret trading Harden for him.

Thats a dumb way of ending an article. Really... your expecting him to keep up a TS% of 70? LMFAO What a dolt

Anyways hes been on fire, but those numbers on J-Crossover are ridiculous. Hes not just catching and shooting, hes taking off balance/off the dribble jumpers as well. That will come crashing down eventually but its a good sign for both of these players.

If he would have been this efficient of a spot-up shooter last year, the Rockets may have made the playoffs.

Last season when Harden started off at a similar clip there were two respected posters who said that he would continue scoring with that level of efficiency for the entire season.

I don't see Martin shooting the three ball at greater than 55% on the season nor having a TS% of 70 or greater but 60% isn't out of the question and with the spacing he offers on offense from just a scoring POV he may be better than Harden was for them last year.

Swashcuff
11-22-2012, 12:25 PM

He has never been THIS efficient nor has he ever (matter of a fact no player has ever) shot the ball from three this well over the entity of a season. Shooters are streaky his #s will even out by season's end but with Durant and Westbrook grabbing a great deal of the attention he'll have way more open chances and will in all likeliness continue having his most efficient year yet. I say he'd be resembling 48-44-90 on a TS% of somewhere in the 62-66 range.

KingPosey
11-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Martin has always been absurdly efficient, until Houston hit the *****. This is nothing new, he was amazing in that regard in Sacramento even.

KingPosey
11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
And nobody is going to shoot 55% from the 3, especially a volume scorer lol

dee279
11-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Kevin Martin for MVP, Sixth Man of the year, and Most Improved Player! And while you at it, give him the Rookie of the year, Coach of the year, and defensive player of the year. I mean those numbers are really good. He deserves it. Maybe he will push OKC to the Finals again this year and actually not suck like that guy James Harden did.

b@llhog24
11-22-2012, 01:15 PM

If you mean shoot then yea but he's never shot this efficiently.

Baller1
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Everything that OKC lost in playmaking with Harden, Martin has made up for in scoring efficiency. It's insane how easily K-Mart puts up points.

So far this season, he's easily been OKC's second most valuable player.

Chronz
11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Last season when Harden started off at a similar clip there were two respected posters who said that he would continue scoring with that level of efficiency for the entire season.

I don't see Martin shooting the three ball at greater than 55% on the season nor having a TS% of 70 or greater but 60% isn't out of the question and with the spacing he offers on offense from just a scoring POV he may be better than Harden was for them last year.

Yea it seems writing him off was abit premature. He wasn't shooting this good last year in similar situations, perhaps the offensive load was too great for him given the role they wanted him to play in Houston. Hes back to doing what he does best, that and Durants improvement as a playmaker should theoretically be helping him as well. As brilliant as he has been however, in the early going hes not leading the 2nd unit with anywhere near as much success as last years 6th man, but it seems hes brought something far more important, better cohesion alongside Durant/Westbrook.

Chronz
11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Everything that OKC lost in playmaking with Harden, Martin has made up for in scoring efficiency. It's insane how easily K-Mart puts up points.

So far this season, he's easily been OKC's second most valuable player.

Yea but that scoring efficiency should come crashing down from its current level so unless your counting on the historical, we should temper our expectations. I will say he seems to be proving to be a better fit with the starting unit than Harden but its still early.

Chronz
11-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Martin has always been absurdly efficient, until Houston hit the *****. This is nothing new, he was amazing in that regard in Sacramento even.

I dont understand this post. Houston did what?

Alayla
11-22-2012, 02:00 PM
This is what ive been trying to say all along When people claimed the thunder lost that trade Kevin has always been a Crazy high efficiency player even though he is often the best player on a team It only stood to reason he was going to do well for OKC. With so many High scoring players for the D to worry about He gets more space and doesn't have to create it of the dribble anymore he can just focus on the good old catch and shoot. But PSD and its drama failed to see that.

Baller1
11-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Yea but that scoring efficiency should come crashing down from its current level so unless your counting on the historical, we should temper our expectations. I will say he seems to be proving to be a better fit with the starting unit than Harden but its still early.

I'll try to play both sides here. I do agree that it's ridiculous to expect him to keep up this insane efficiency, BUT many of us (even us stat-heads) felt the same way about Harden last season. So while it's hard to imagine Martin keeping it up, I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Sixth man on OKC is just a good job to have if you're a great scorer, I guess.

tredigs
11-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Well 60% obviously isn't out of the question. Actually it's his career norm. Mostly because of the fact that he gets to the line very well and is a lock to hit them.

With the increased spacing he sees on such a potent lineup (especially with Ibaka continuing his yearly improvement), there's just no reason why he won't have a 65%+ TS%. A shooter as good as him with as quick a release as him will just slay with an open look. And we're seeing it. Playing with KD is a shooter/playmakers dream.