PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard & Free Throws

kobe4thewinbang
11-21-2012, 05:07 AM
I understand big guys have a problem with them, but 7-19 is insane. All those points would've helped LA in this game. Especially since Dwight Howard is a foul magnet, he has to learn some way to make more of them. Even Shaq made enough when it mattered, often scoring both attempts during close games.

I'm getting tired of seeing him laugh it off like it isn't important. It isn't impossible to alter the release point of the ball and get an idea of how to make these shots. When the playoffs roll around, it'll be just as frustrating as when LeBron bricks what should be an easy concept.

shep33
11-21-2012, 05:10 AM
So far this is the worst that he's ever shot. 48%

dalton749
11-21-2012, 05:16 AM
i dont understand how somebody who gets paid millions of dollar to play basketball for a living and shoots more freethrows than anybody in the league can suck that bad. honestly these guys do it millions of times how cant they figure it out by now its the easiest shot in the game and it never changes

SportsFanatic10
11-21-2012, 07:01 AM
I understand big guys have a problem with them, but 7-19 is insane. All those points would've helped LA in this game. Especially since Dwight Howard is a foul magnet, he has to learn some way to make more of them. Even Shaq made enough when it mattered, often scoring both attempts during close games.

I'm getting tired of seeing him laugh it off like it isn't important. It isn't impossible to alter the release point of the ball and get an idea of how to make these shots. When the playoffs roll around, it'll be just as frustrating as when LeBron bricks what should be an easy concept.

lol what? :confused:

anyway yeah its pretty embarrassing. as a player i'd hate to be disrespected by the opposition like that. it'd motivate me to work on it endlessly until there is significant improvement and it was no longer a big weakness.

kobe4thewinbang
11-21-2012, 08:10 AM
lol what? :confused:LeBron has a knack for missing important free throws.

JiffyMix88
11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
LeBron has a knack for missing important free throws.

Pretty sure he was saying what because one lebron is around mid 70% for his career and for two y are you bring lebron into this?

Kenny
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
LeBron has a knack for missing important free throws.

Lebron in clutch free throwsituaion is actually very good. It as around 80 percent.

Comparng a guy that s barey going to shoo 50 percent to a guythat ill shoot atleast 75 percent is crazy an pointess to this topic.

Dwight if he starts out okay will hit ifree throws all game. If he doesn't he is in for a night you saw last night. It's a confidence and feel thng for Dwight.

blahblahyoutoo
11-21-2012, 09:12 AM

yao ming, rik smits, ewing, robinson, hakeem. all 70%+

JiffyMix88
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Lebron in clutch free throwsituaion is actually very good. It as around 80 percent.

Comparng a guy that s barey going to shoo 50 percent to a guythat ill shoot atleast 75 percent is crazy an pointess to this topic.

Dwight if he starts out okay will hit ifree throws all game. If he doesn't he is in for a night you saw last night. It's a confidence and feel thng for Dwight.

exactly i could picture him being pissed and cussing at the T.V. when dwight air balled that one free throw and just figured he'd attack the heat fans before they got the first jab lol

AnthonyTyrael
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Gotta see if Dwight can break his own record this year. The one where he took how many FT Attempts again in just one game?

Swashcuff
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM

For every big man you can find who shot them well you'd find two who didn't.

AnthonyTyrael
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Do the Rick Barry style if nothing else works but for God's sake, hit them somehow.

JasonJohnHorn
11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I understand that there's not much you can do about the free-throw shooting when you miss, but when you miss a lot and you laugh afterwards, when the game is close (which it was last night when Howard shot less than 50% from the charity stripe), it's going to p!$$ some people off, namely oyur teammates. I know Shaq, in his autobiography, was STILL going on about how Nick Anderson was laughing after he missed key free-throws in the fnals against Houston.

Bottom line is this. Dwight is amazing, and he brings so much to the court in terms of rebounding, defence and offence (he was like 8-11 from the field last night). So obviously it is in the team's best interest to have him on the court, and I imagine that like Shaq and Duncan before him, he is practicing those free throws (Shaq claims that he was like an 80% free throw shooter in practice), and that in the game situation it is very different than in practice where you can get a rhythm going, BUT if he is going to laugh after missing important free throws, he's going to alienate teammates and fans alike.

When the game is close, or on the line, laughing about missing free throws is not going to go over well.

dh144498
11-21-2012, 11:11 AM

the problem with those 70%+ freethrow bigs is that their fg% is also lower because they are better jump shooters than most bigs (like shaq and dwight) so they attempt more shots further from the basket. Dwight and Shaq have the higher TS% overall than those 70% ft bigs, but when the game in on the line in crunch time, their TS% during that time probably dips to like 40% because of the amount of times they get to the line.

RLundi
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
No player can be perfect. That's his kryptonite :rimshot:

Missing56&33
11-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Stan VanGundy is somewhere laughin his *** off.

Gibby23
11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Why are you complaining? If we didn't have Howard, we would have a guy waiting for his knee to get better.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
He needs to get it up to 55% minimum. I mean Shaq shot over 50% in 6 of 8 seasons in LA.

(Shot 48.4% in his 1st season in LA and shot 49% in final season in LA).

310Casper
11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Its something that I can live with as a laker fan.

Dwights presence in the paint alone makes such a MASSIVE difference in every game. Opposing teams rarely even attempt layups anymore, unless its a breakaway play, but they mostly have to settle for shots.

Dwight is probably responsible for making each team make 15pt less per game alone, with his defensive play, presence (which doesn't show up in the stat sheet), along with rebounds, blocks, changing incoming shot and layup attempts (also doesnt show on stat sheet) that alone is the biggest benefit in having him. Its like the Lakers start off each game with a 15pt handicap lead just because of dwight. I'll live with the free throw problems, just like we did with Shaq. If they improve, its just a huge bonus.

SteBO
11-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Dwight's FT problems at least to me make him somewhat of a liability offensively at the end of games, but does that really matter with Kobe on the floor? Dwight's only there to be an anchor for the defense and a guy to throw the ball down to in case Kobe wants to take plays off...........#trollface. It's a problem, but far from a HUGE problem.

Sactown
11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
He acts like he hates my fantasy team...

Tymathee
11-21-2012, 04:19 PM
He acts like he hates my fantasy team...

u know right? lol

anyway, as i keep saying, the idiot is left handed, but he shoots 'em right

they say in practice he hits 80% of his shots, so what changes in game?

maybe its more of a personality thing

Sactown
11-21-2012, 04:50 PM
u know right? lol

anyway, as i keep saying, the idiot is left handed, but he shoots 'em right

they say in practice he hits 80% of his shots, so what changes in game?

maybe its more of a personality thing

Dwight loves to troll my fantasy team lol, but seriously I'm surprised he's shooting so poorly, I have a feeling it has more to do with confidence than his ability to shoot the ball. A lot of pressure at the free throw line, But I'm glad it doesn't take him out of the other facets of his game like DeAndre Jordan said it had done to him early in his career.

JasonJohnHorn
11-21-2012, 04:55 PM
In his defence, he did shoot 8-11 from the floor, which negates his futility from the line at least a little. TS% was .500 for Dwight last night... not soo bad ;-)