PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum hates basketball

sunsfan88
11-21-2012, 02:11 AM
I sent SLAM Magazine senior editor Tzvi Twersky (follow @TTwersky) a text message on Friday night, asking him if he had heard anything about Bynum injuring his left knee while bowling. As someone who is generally plugged in to these sort of things, I thought he might have some insight. “I started investigating [the bowling] a little bit,” Twersky said. “And one of the people that I hit, a guy who has played with him before, he texted me back and said ‘I don’t know if that’s true [the bowling], but I do know that I’ve never met another player in the league who likes basketball less [than Bynum].”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/former-andrew-bynum-teammate-says-no-other-nba-player-likes-basketball-less/

Everyone was praising Philly at the time saying that the 76ers were gonna be amazing and better without Igoudala and with Bynum.

Honestly, I think this is karma for 76ers FO. Igoudala played outstanding for the 76ers and yet they wanted to trade him every damn year. And now they traded him and they get this. IMO, they deserve it.

ThunderousDemon
11-21-2012, 02:13 AM
That sucks for the sixers.

bholly
11-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Yeah but at least he likes bowling!

:(

PurpleJesus
11-21-2012, 02:18 AM
There used to be a similar situation with Tim Duncan where he was viewed as someone who was disinterested in playing. He said in an interview once that basketball is a game he would rather watch on tv than play.

Teeboy1487
11-21-2012, 02:22 AM
I don't think he hates basketball, but he's simply immature

tapajafri
11-21-2012, 02:26 AM
This should be no surprise to anyone. You can just tell by his body language for the last 5+ years. He just doesn't have a passion for it....but then again, neither does Dwight.

JNA17
11-21-2012, 02:30 AM
As much as I love Bynum's skills when he's on, the problem I always had with him during his time with the Lakers was his effort and passion. Most of the time, he looked like he didn't single ***** what he was doing or the team. When he did, boy he was on.

I hope this isn't true, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I don't Bynum ever gave 100% on any game in his career. He can be so much better if he just gave a ****.

ZebraCity916
11-21-2012, 02:33 AM
There's been so many red flags on this guy and everyone just ignores them. Have been ignoring them for years. Will people finally start taking hem seriously now??

Gritz
Can't blame him. If I was good a soccer, a sport that I hate, I would still play it if they would pay me. It helps endorse other interests, such as bowling.

JNoel
So much wasted talent. He blatantly refuses to put in the work to become a superstar, which is why he keeps getting injured. He easily has the potential to be the best center in the world but just keeps refusing.

DAL*CWB
11-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Yet he's going to get a max deal in the off-season...smh...that's what's wrong with the nba

richiesaurus310
11-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Can't blame him. If I was good a soccer, a sport that I hate, I would still play it if they would pay me. It helps endorse other interests, such as bowling.

This is the case with Serena Williams and was the case with Curtis Martin. You don't have to love the game to be great at it and to get paid.

AddiX
11-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Doesn't surprise me a bit, a lot of NBA players fit this mold unfortunately.

And they take up a bunch of salary cap space and roster spots on teams we love. Sad, tbh.

RapOZo
11-21-2012, 02:52 AM
okay, but that's just some person's opinion. I'll worry when he starts making statements on that.

SeoulBeatz
11-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Everyone was praising Philly at the time saying that the 76ers were gonna be amazing and better without Igoudala and with Bynum.

Honestly, I think this is karma for 76ers FO. Igoudala played outstanding for the 76ers and yet they wanted to trade him every damn year. And now they traded him and they get this. IMO, they deserve it.

Iguodala was a very underrated player for us, but he never liked Philadelphia from the get-go. He never embraced the city, never showed any emotion when he played well, never acknowledged the fans, never did anything significant for the community (Even though Iverson was a complete idiot, he still did a TON for the Philadelphia community, like his scholarship funds and helping raise money to build rec centers).

It was the right move to make, the Sixers maxed out their capabilities on last years roster. They would never be a top tier team with Iggy at the helm. He had 8 years to be the guy and he was never able to lead them to a playoff series win until his final season here (because he's not a #1 option, just a FANTASTIC role player).

The Bynum move was an OBVIOUS choice considering how the Sixers had an utter lack of any size and budding young guards who needed a big man to work with.

It's unfortunate how things have turned out, but like i mentioned in the other thread, the Sixers will have a TON of cap space if they choose not to resign Bynum, which seems like a 50-50 possibility at the moment.

And we're doing alright without Bynum at the moment, mainly because Jrue Holiday has been playing at an allstar level (19.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 9.0 apg, 46%FG, 43%3pt) and carrying this team on his back.

Not having Bynum healthy sucks, but I'm glad our young players are coming together and playing well even without our best player.

STL Don
11-21-2012, 02:58 AM
As a Laker fan I've always been a fan of Bynum but I wanted him traded a few years ago when it became obvious his knees were going to be an issue throughout his career.
I cannot believe we were able to get Howard in return for this guy, it's just incredible.

Andrew32
11-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Bowling is fun as **** and Bynum is far from the only NBA player who bowls.

Andrew32
11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
The real question is how do you hurt your knees bowling unless your knees are made out of crackers.

I mean bowling is not exactly a dangerous or high stress sport.

koberulesall
11-21-2012, 03:06 AM
so glad hes gone such a immature distraction

Baller1
11-21-2012, 03:23 AM
I can't stand Bynum, but I can't fault him for something like this. Who wouldn't play a game for millions if they had the talent to do so?

I'll say this though... As someone who loves everything about basketball, it's frustrating seeing players like Bynum in the league. Give me the damn talent if you don't want it.

TheRazorboy
11-21-2012, 03:39 AM
okay, but that's just some person's opinion. I'll worry when he starts making statements on that.

He's been making nonverbal statements to that effect since he came into the league. Maybe it's unfair to judge a person's heart but I've rarely seen an elite athlete who has seemed less interested in his craft and livelihood than Bynum.

popo85
11-21-2012, 03:40 AM
His first few years he was a quite guy not saying much even when the ship his *** out dama happened but the older he got he became more immature.

sunsfan88
11-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Iguodala was a very underrated player for us, but he never liked Philadelphia from the get-go. He never embraced the city, never showed any emotion when he played well, never acknowledged the fans, never did anything significant for the community (Even though Iverson was a complete idiot, he still did a TON for the Philadelphia community, like his scholarship funds and helping raise money to build rec centers).

It was the right move to make, the Sixers maxed out their capabilities on last years roster. They would never be a top tier team with Iggy at the helm. He had 8 years to be the guy and he was never able to lead them to a playoff series win until his final season here (because he's not a #1 option, just a FANTASTIC role player).

The Bynum move was an OBVIOUS choice considering how the Sixers had an utter lack of any size and budding young guards who needed a big man to work with.

It's unfortunate how things have turned out, but like i mentioned in the other thread, the Sixers will have a TON of cap space if they choose not to resign Bynum, which seems like a 50-50 possibility at the moment.

And we're doing alright without Bynum at the moment, mainly because Jrue Holiday has been playing at an allstar level (19.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 9.0 apg, 46%FG, 43%3pt) and carrying this team on his back.

Not having Bynum healthy sucks, but I'm glad our young players are coming together and playing well even without our best player.

Who cares? NBA players don't have any kind of responsibility to do things for the community or to love the city. His job was to play basketball to the fullest of his abilities and he did that.

76ers had Hawes who was finally starting to develop. They could have went after Brook Lopez after they let Brand and all go. Even if they had anymore bad contracts, they could have packaged that with Evan Turner and got rid of it to get more cap space.

And yea Holliday is playing well now but lets see how long he keeps this up.

Losoway
11-21-2012, 06:05 AM
i wish WISH WISH .. when every sixer fan was telling me in the summer im crazy for thinking this was a terrible idea they gonna be top 3 team etc i could bring back up those post.

i predicted this months ago same way i predicted the knicks would be on top . dont believe me ? pull up my old posts = )

nr19
11-21-2012, 06:08 AM
The real question is how do you hurt your knees bowling unless your knees are made out of crackers.

I mean bowling is not exactly a dangerous or high stress sport.

No kidding, how will he ever be able to handle 82 games and playoffs? He won't. I would flat out never sign this guy.

Laker Legend42
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I wonder who was the player who used to play with him that said that. I hate when people say things but won't attach a name to it.

SportsFanatic10
11-21-2012, 06:54 AM
I can't stand Bynum, but I can't fault him for something like this. Who wouldn't play a game for millions if they had the talent to do so?

I'll say this though... As someone who loves everything about basketball, it's frustrating seeing players like Bynum in the league. Give me the damn talent if you don't want it.

agreed for sure.

Alayla
11-21-2012, 07:02 AM

You sound almost butthurt dude there is a reason we needed iggy gone we where utterly mediocre and he was a bad fit and quietly Jrue has been a all star this season and we are starting out strong.

Alayla
11-21-2012, 07:04 AM
So much wasted talent. He blatantly refuses to put in the work to become a superstar, which is why he keeps getting injured. He easily has the potential to be the best center in the world but just keeps refusing.

Actually bynums work ethic has to do the most underrated part about him in the world

2-ONE-5
11-21-2012, 08:08 AM
if he is this good while hating basketball just imagine what he can do if he loved it...

anyway when you have the opportunity to trade for a dominant center you do 100 times of a 100. I love Iggy an he was great/unappreciated here. But we still dont know what the future holds for Bynum just yet.

JasonJohnHorn
11-21-2012, 08:19 AM

I don't think not putting in work is how he gets injured. It's not fair to draw conclusions from this.

Some people who play in the NBA have a more grounded approach to the game. They see it as a game and realize there are other things that are more important in life. Duncan is a perfect example of that.

Bynum is the second best center in the league when healthy. You don't achieve that standing in this league without putting the work in. Could he be better? Likely, but he also would have been scoring mroe over the last couple season had he not been playing alongside two HOF in Kobe and Gasol, one of whom dominates the ball.

The same could be said of Shaq. Shaq was always a comedian and joking around, and he did not reach his full potential, but was still very dominant.

And from Bynum perspective, I can see how basketball is frustrating for him. He's got potential and talent, but he's been slowed by injuries, and people challange his maturity. It can be a frustrating experience. People blame him for his injuries, and I don't think the fact he has stuggled with knee injuries has anything to do with anything he's done. Being an NBA players has it's pros and cons, and Bynum has had to deal with a lot of frustration and criticism. He had Kobe as a team mate openly demand that he be traded and knocked him for his game, then he has to go into work and work with this guy who thinks he is inferior. I mean, how frustrating is that, to go into a work environment like that? You get a guy like Duncan, or Nash or Magic of Bird, and they would help you become better, then you get a guy like Kobe whp publically attacks you and demands that the team trade you?

Bynum has had to endure a lot. He is blessed in that he gets to play pro ball and makes a lot of money doing so, but it is not always a charmed life.

People need to take it easy on this guy.

kblo247
11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
His first few years he was a quite guy not saying much even when the ship his *** out dama happened but the older he got he became more immature.

Second year. Ship his *** out came after Andrew while having the starting C spot missed practice and over half of a film day with no excuse (wasn't even a full two weeks). Phil was flustered and said he could've blamed traffic an alarm clock or something, but all he got was an I don't know as the reason when he discussed it with Vic the Brick (the hippy who talks in riddles at the press conferences). Phil benched him, he didn't take it well, and he basically fell out the playoff rotation all together.

Kobe said ship his *** out. And later would say to the Loose Cannons on AM570 he was damn tired of going to the gym and seeing the only one in there early and leaving late was himself, Lamar, Luke, and the rook (Farmar). Andrew tore his proverbial drawers all in that one incident with both Kobe and Phil that season.

Ship his *** out did piss Bynum off though as he hurled a personal trainer to get in shape and be ready to prove him wrong.

Thing is Kobe and Phil ain't walking thru that door or holding his hand, and Fisher ain't there to give him a hug or motivational speech. Kareem also said he didn't think Bynum was as serious as he should've been with all the teachings. It is what it is more or less. Funny thing is Kobe, Phil, and Kareem all agree that the only one that can stop Bynum is Bynum from becoming the best and have all said it at times, so has James Worthy, Derek Fisher, Norm Nixon, and others who have been around him

Laker Legend42
11-21-2012, 08:29 AM
if he is this good while hating basketball just imagine what he can do if he loved it...

anyway when you have the opportunity to trade for a dominant center you do 100 times of a 100. I love Iggy an he was great/unappreciated here. But we still dont know what the future holds for Bynum just yet.

Same thing with shaq when he played. Imagine how much more of a beast he would have been if he stayed in shape.

JasonJohnHorn
11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
The title is more than a little misleading since nowhere is Bynum quoted as saying he hates basketball.

JayW_1023
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Well that's it then.

Hataz gonna hate.

Iron24th
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
No matter what haters say, sixers fans don't deserve what's hapening with Bynum, no fanbase deserve it.

It just bad luck.

ccugrad1
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM

I always believed in that trade that Denver getting Igoudala was the steal of the entire trade.

bootsy
11-21-2012, 11:15 AM

:facepalm:First of all a Suns fan. Your team has been making bad decisions since they entered the NBA and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Enjoy Gordat and Dragic and whoever scrub players that are on your team for the next 5 years.

Next Iggy didn't play outstanding all the time for the Sixers. Iggy's ceiling was what he did last year, making the All Star team, being part of a playoff series win but the Sixers had to make this deal because the way the team was constructed with Iggy they were never going anywhere. They got rid of Iggy and Brand's contract and sign and traded for players that have expiring contracts. They did the right thing and needed to get out from under what they had. Bynum may never play for the Sixers but they aren't going to miss anything by what they got rid of to get Bynum.

TheIlladelph16
11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Your point about Bynum, I agree with.

But seriously gtfo of here with that Karma crap. SeoulBeatz summed it up pretty nicely on exactly why that sentiment is utter horse****. Not only that, he was flat-out not worth what he was being paid. His contract has repeatedly prevented the Sixers from signing an actual #1 guy to lead the team, which has now opened the team up to either a potential game changing C or a ton of money to spend in FA.

I appreciate everything he did do for this team because he has quite a bit of an unfair rep in this city. It was just time to move on.

Missing56&33
11-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Philly dont need Bynum they got Kwamee Brown. :nod:

speakerboxx
11-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Obviously you never watched iggy day in and day out...if you did you'd realize that #1. He didn't want to be in philly and asked for a trade on numerous occassions, #2. As good as he was he thought he was better that he really thought he was in the elite category when he isn't...and finally #3...Check out his stats now that he's out of philly...he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire...and so far philly hasn't really missed him...

Outsiders are always trying to down philly but the truth is...we're usually more right that we are wrong...

It was a low risk trade...if it didn't work out then we can let him walk and use the money to lure another free agent...

speakerboxx
11-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I always believed in that trade that Denver getting Igoudala was the steal of the entire trade.

Really... have you seen what denver's doing... and specifically what iggy's doing...A Dwight howard for a broken down Bynum is a steal... AI in denver...much to do about nothing if you ask me... the sixers are 7-4 Denver's 5-6...

Sactown
11-21-2012, 04:05 PM
He probably hated playing FOR Kobe, I would... **** being yelled at everyday even when you're producing at a higher efficiency.

Ebbs
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Him an Eric Gordon have peeved me for the last time. I was hyped to see them both play this year healthy and as their teams #1 options.

However after this season scrap em both.

LAKERMANIA
11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Is it really that bad for Philly? They can just let Bynum go since it's the last year of his contract, and use the cap space on someone else..

Gibby23
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
He probably hated playing FOR Kobe, I would... **** being yelled at everyday even when you're producing at a higher efficiency.

Change your location to Sleep Train, unless you are at a gas station.

Sactown
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Change your location to Sleep Train, unless you are at a gas station.

I refuse to refer to it as anything other than Arco!

Gritz
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Stop playing video games and reading about basketball and go work on your game then

Gritz
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM

U must either suck at sports or never played organized sports.

da ThRONe
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
While we love it when athletes breathe, eat, and sleep their respective sports it's not necessary for being effective.

Bynum biggest concern remains his health and availability.