PDA

View Full Version : How huge would a Knicks vs Clippers finals be for the NBA?

Cracka2HI!
11-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Kind of a homer thread since I'm a Clipper fan, but most places that rank NBA teams have these teams as #1 and #2 right now. More importantly it's New York vs Los Angeles and 2 popular and fun to watch teams. 2 team that have been underdogs for at least a decade. In the Clippers case their entire existence. I know most will say these teams aren't that good, but that's not the question. The question is how good(or bad) would this series be for the NBA?

METSandJETS94
11-21-2012, 02:16 AM
I honestly think the finals will be these teams. They are very similar. Both have 1 or 2 superstars, 3 other good starters, good scoring 6th man, and a very deep bench. Lets see if it happens.

HYFR
11-21-2012, 02:16 AM
It would be good but nyk vs the lakers would destroy any ratings that it would get

NYSpirit1
11-21-2012, 02:25 AM
NY vs LAC would be great for the NBA.

I've had enough of seeing the Lakers in the Finals.

NYMetropolitans
11-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Everyone know's the dream scenario for the NBA would be NY-LAL finals, but a NY-LAC or NY-MEM wouldn't perform bad at all either...granted that either LAC or MEM went through a tough road to get to the finals and same goes for NY...assuring an epic Finals matchup. I'm dreaming here though. So much basketball to go.

Cal827
11-21-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm just imagining the OP, Clippersfan, and Chronz, against the Knick's PSD nation during that time....

YouCan'tBeatLA
11-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Very bad, because no-one gives two ***** about the Knicks and especially the Clippers.

LAKERMANIA
11-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Knicks vs. Lakers would be bigger.

nickdymez
11-21-2012, 02:38 AM

well then dont watch

YouCan'tBeatLA
11-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Lakers-Celtics... **** the rest of the league.

LAKERMANIA
11-21-2012, 02:41 AM

TV ratings would disagree with you.

Gritz
11-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Think before your thread...

John Walls Era
11-21-2012, 02:46 AM
NBA wants Miami vs Lakers. Kobe and Lebron has to face each other at least once in the biggest moment of the NBA.

Knicks21
11-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Very bad, because no-one gives two ***** about the Knicks and especially the Clippers.

Have you been living in a cave for the past two years?

Avenged
11-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Don't know if it would be huge for the NBA but it would be huge for both those teams, especially the Clippers after all the decades of struggle. There are other match-ups that the NBA in general would love.

richiesaurus310
11-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Meh. I think Clippers vs the Heat would be bigger honestly. Idk if anyone outside of NY cares about the Knicks like people care about the Lakers or LeBron.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Meh. I think Clippers vs the Heat would be bigger honestly. Idk if anyone outside of NY cares about the Knicks like people care about the Lakers or LeBron.

If not for a Lakers-Heat finals, I'm really wishing for a Lakers-Knicks finals.

MintBerryCrunch
11-21-2012, 02:56 AM
No one would care, not even 90% of Los Angeles

lakers4sho
11-21-2012, 03:01 AM
not that huge

koberulesall
11-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Kind of a homer thread since I'm a Clipper fan, but most places that rank NBA teams have these teams as #1 and #2 right now. More importantly it's New York vs Los Angeles and 2 popular and fun to watch teams. 2 team that have been underdogs for at least a decade. In the Clippers case their entire existence. I know most will say these teams aren't that good, but that's not the question. The question is how good(or bad) would this series be for the NBA?

cant really be a homer if your a bandwagon fan

osmosis da kid
11-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Even when the knicks suck people care.... Deal with it :cool:

Guppyfighter
11-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Warriors vs. Heat would be the biggest.

NYYCowboys
11-21-2012, 04:58 AM

U mad?

SugeKnight
11-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Warriors vs. Heat would be the biggest.
:laugh:

Trueblue2
11-21-2012, 05:14 AM
A WCF of Clippers vs. Lakers and a ECF of Nets vs. Knicks would be huge. There would be so much national attention on the Conference and league finals.

JordansBulls
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I honestly think the finals will be these teams. They are very similar. Both have 1 or 2 superstars, 3 other good starters, good scoring 6th man, and a very deep bench. Lets see if it happens.

It would be awesome.

benzni
11-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I would love to see the Blazers or the Warriors make the finals tbh

but unfortunately Lakers and Knicks would blow up the ratings

Dankster
11-21-2012, 09:48 AM

That's not true at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a little stumped by how popular the Knicks are world wide considering they haven't won a title in almost 40 dam years.

It must be because there's a lot of New York transplants nationwide. When the Knicks play on the road they essentially have "home games" at Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey and Washington. Those crowds are at least 60-70% Knick fans. I imagine next week at the Barclays center it's going to be a sea of blue and orange in the stands. It's been like this for years now and I only expect their popularity to augment if they can continue being a successful team.

On ratings and monetary/financial gain? I don't think anything would come remotely close to a Knicks- Lakers finals. Those are the 2 most well known franchises in basketball worldwide, I'd imagine they'd break the ratings record for an NBA finals if they met up.

Dade County
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
NBA wants Miami vs Lakers. Kobe and Lebron has to face each other at least once in the biggest moment of the NBA.

But Wade would come out on top in this matchup:shrug:

All I have to say is, I don't think it would be about the Knicks... It would actually be about the New York Media.

I would have to stop watching sports channels on Tv, stay away from sports radio and don't go to any sports bars; that's how crazy it would be if the Knicks made the Finals.

And I stay in South Florida, to MANY damn Ny down here:facepalm:

HEAT vs anyone is good for the league.

bigbeardaboss
11-21-2012, 10:20 AM

Agreed. Kobe vs LeBron in the finals would be epic
New York Vs LAL would be next. I would love the subplots

Melo vs Kobe, D'Antoni vs Woodson, Dwight vs Tyson Chandler the reigning DPOY, battle of the aging point guards, etc.

As a Knick fan I am hoping for the later but Miami/ LA would be great also

Dade County
11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
On ratings and monetary/financial gain? I don't think anything would come remotely close to a Knicks- Lakers finals. Those are the 2 most well known franchises in basketball worldwide, I'd imagine they'd break the ratings record for an NBA finals if they met up.

I kinda see what you are trying to say but Melo is not a big enough star.

This series Knicks vs Lakers would get ratings, but not like a HEAT vs Lakers would because of Lbj/Wade vs Kobe... The National Sports Media would would hype this game up even more; and you have to think about the Asian factor.

Kobe is seen a mega super star over there, and Wade & Lbj are the next stars to infiltrate that market, the league and Pat Riley has seen to this.

SO you have to think about the world wide ratings, when talking about a HEAT vs Lakers final ( But yes in this country, Knicks vs Lakers would be huge, and YES I know their are a lot of Knicks fans all over the world ).

But if Lin would have stayed his *** in Ny and they would have made the Finals... Game over on any kind of Ratings, it would have shattered everything.

Swashcuff
11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Lakers vs Heat would easily be the biggest. If LeBron went to NY well then it would be the Knicks.

JasonJohnHorn
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I think what the casual fan and the NBA wants most, is a Kobe vs. LBJ finals. And I have to admit it, I kinda want to see it too.

That said, I'd be very happy if the Spurs won it all this season :-)

Quietmoney
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Well as long as my Knicks are hosting someone in the finals, I wouldn't give ish who it is! LAC or LAL, can't lose with any of those. There both very good teams. LAC are a little more exciting but just as tough.

meloman1592
11-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I want ny vs lac, my 2 favorite teams and players going at it. However a ny/lal finals would cause a nationwide blackout. There wouldnt be enough electricity to go around for all the tv's that would be on

bucketss
11-21-2012, 10:44 AM

knicks don't have any superstars on their team.

Dankster
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I kinda see what you are trying to say but Melo is not a big enough star.

This series Knicks vs Lakers would get ratings, but not like a HEAT vs Lakers would because of Lbj/Wade vs Kobe... The National Sports Media would would hype this game up even more; and you have to think about the Asian factor.

Kobe is seen a mega super star over there, and Wade & Lbj are the next stars to infiltrate that market, the league and Pat Riley has seen to this.

SO you have to think about the world wide ratings, when talking about a HEAT vs Lakers final ( But yes in this country, Knicks vs Lakers would be huge, and YES I know their are a lot of Knicks fans all over the world ).

But if Lin would have stayed his *** in Ny and they would have made the Finals... Game over on any kind of Ratings, it would have shattered everything.

Good Post man. Definitely see that argument to it, those guys are the most popular basketball players worldwide. I just think the storyline of the Knicks sucking for so long and without a ring for 40 years would make for some good drama as well.

You'd be seeing old Knick fans coming out of hibernation if they could make it to the finals. But I do see your point, Lebron James in the finals will always produce good rating #'s. And Lebron vs. Kobe would be a very hyped-up matchup.

Da Knicks
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Lakers vs Knicks would be the best finals for ratings and for exciting good matchups.

RLundi
11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I think Lakers vs Heat would be bigger, or Knicks vs Lakers. I love the Clips, but idk if they're a huge draw just yet.

StarvingKnick22
11-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd Love to see it but Clippers will not make it with that team. A Lakers-Knicks finals would cause on a spark in ratings. Also it would be the Jake Nichoulas-Spike Lee battle lol

TheNumber37
11-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't want to see a Lakers vs Heat. kinda lame imo.
I'd rather see new stars and new names take the big stage. I predict a grizzly clippers wcf because of their depth and defense.

the east... Knicks heat seems likely. Knicks in 6 with HCA.

Jarvo
11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Blake Griffin & Melo would be so damn overhyped til almost everyone would say they're Basketball Gods :laugh: PSD will be crazy.

Twins Fanatic
11-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Wouldn't care to watch this series; both are overrated teams that will continue to choke in the playoffs year after year.

RLundi
I don't want to see a Lakers vs Heat. kinda lame imo.
I'd rather see new stars and new names take the big stage. I predict a grizzly clippers wcf because of their depth and defense.

the east... Knicks heat seems likely. Knicks in 6 with HCA.

Lol everyone's drinking the Kool-Aid.

Big Zo
The Knicks aren't getting out of the first round. I don't care if they are November Champions.

justinnum1
It's probably going to be lakers-Miami. But some people can dream.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Wade isn't playing well.

But Knicks vs Lakers would be epic

justinnum1
11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Wade isn't playing well.

But Knicks vs Lakers would be epic

Wasn't playing well last year either :laugh:

showtym24
11-21-2012, 11:53 AM
LAL-MIA would be quite bigger.

justinnum1
LAL-MIA would be quite bigger.
What stern wants, stern gets.

Hustla23
The Heat are so boring.

Knicks - Grizzlies would be cray. Wooooo.

RLundi
11-21-2012, 11:55 AM
The Heat are so boring.

Not even the metropolis of NY could save those ratings. NO ONE would watch.

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Not even the metropolis of NY could save those ratings. NO ONE would watch.
Then don't watch.

Big Zo
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
The Heat are so boring.

1 playoff win in 12 years. Soooo exciting!

RLundi
11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Then don't watch.

You don't have to convince me; I won't, neither will anyone outside of the tri-state area.

Chronz
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
If your going to choose LA's "other" team, couldn't you have chosen NY's "other" team?

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
1 playoff win in 12 years. Soooo exciting!
Chris Bosh. That is all.

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
If your going to choose LA's "other" team, couldn't you have chosen NY's "other" team?
This is yet another moment where I completely forgot that another NBA team exists in my city. :laugh2:

Big Zo
Chris Bosh. That is all.

NBA Champion Chris Bosh?

GiantsSwaGG
The Heat are so boring.

Knicks vs Grizz would be great also....

Knicks vs Thunder would be nice also

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
You don't have to convince me; I won't, neither will anyone outside of the tri-state area.
You are severely underestimating the appeal of Zach Randolph.

I won't be surprised if you ended up glued to the t.v.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
This is yet another moment where I completely forgot that another NBA team exists in my city. :laugh2:

:laugh2:

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
NBA Champion Chris Bosh?
Yeah, that guy is not that exciting if you ask me.

Hustla23
Knicks vs Grizz would be great also....

Knicks vs Thunder would be nice also
It's too bad the Thunder opted for Kripple Martin instead of Harden. Then maybe they'd have a good shot at the Finals.

GiantsSwaGG

You're full of ****. You would probably watch the Bocats vs Spurs finals lol

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
It's too bad the Thunder opted for Kripple Martin instead of Harden. Then maybe they'd have a good shot at the Finals.

Kevin Martin can ball, but at the end of the day he's a smarter Monta Ellis. Great scorer but can't carry a team.

But I still think the Thunder have a shot. If they can pull a trade for Gortat

RLundi
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM
You are severely underestimating the appeal of Zach Randolph.

I won't be surprised if you ended up glued to the t.v.

Nah, you're severely underestimating how many people actually know who Z-Bo is.

NBA Finals is like any other major sporting event: big cities, compelling story lines and superstars get ratings.

I love the Grizz, but I also loved the Spurs in 2007.

Max.This
11-21-2012, 12:24 PM

There are more knicks fans in this country than any other team

Big Zo
Yeah, that guy is not that exciting if you ask me.

Well, your guys do punch fire extinguishers, so I'll give them that.

sammyvine
I think it will be Miami and the Lakers personally.

RLundi
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
You're full of ****. You would probably watch the Bocats vs Spurs finals lol

... You're probably right, but still.

The masses wouldn't enjoy it as much as Knicks-Lakers, Lakers-Heat, Lakers-Celtics, Heat-Thunder, etc.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, your guys do punch fire extinguishers, so I'll give them that.

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Chris-Bosh-stops-for-a-moment-to-take-it-all-in.jpg

Evolution23
11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I would rather have Clippers Knicks because the lakers are just not playing up to par.

Evolution23
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
The Knicks aren't getting out of the first round. I don't care if they are November Champions.

sig bet?

Dade County
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Chris Bosh. That is all.

what does this mean??:laugh:

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:48 PM

what does this mean??:laugh:
Refer to above JPEG. ;)

Hustla23
11-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Nah, you're severely underestimating how many people actually know who Z-Bo is.

NBA Finals is like any other major sporting event: big cities, compelling story lines and superstars get ratings.

I love the Grizz, but I also loved the Spurs in 2007.
Okay, I concede. :( But I still maintain that Zach Randolph can become a household name. He just needs a Wheaties appearance and a few interviews with Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman wouldn't hurt.

P-O-Z
11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh man ... People are really underestimating boston when they finally gel and come together. Knicks lose in second round. Sorry boys. P.S yeah I have the crystal ball.

justinnum1
11-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Oh man ... People are really underestimating boston when they finally gel and come together. Knicks lose in second round. Sorry boys. P.S yeah I have the crystal ball.

lol.

i predicted boston-miami ecf in the preseason. see no reason to change that.

Auseranami
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
A lakers-celtics finals would be better. Best rivalry in sports. I would also like to see a KG-Duncan finals, two of the best ever at that position going at it would be awesome.

TeamSeattle
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
"The days of fixing the league for teams drawing the most tv views are over. That era will be out the door when stern steps down in January. You have to earn your way to a championship." - Me

I also find it funny that all the Lakers-Heat fans keep saying the knicks won't make it past the first round, I'm still not sure what there deal is with NY.

Munkeysuit
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll be honest with you guys, I would not want to see this Finals, it would be a bloodbath and the Knicks would get slaughtered.

LAKERMANIA
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I see the ECF being between Boston and Miami as well mainly because I would love to see a Celtics-Lakers finals again.. This time it's for all the marbles!

LongIslandIcedZ
11-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Knicks vs Lakers would be huge. And if somehow Stern could make it happen, Knicks vs Miami/Boston would be huge as well. If anyone could find a way around that conference thing its Stern.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-21-2012, 01:39 PM
"The days of fixing the league for teams drawing the most tv views are over. That era will be out the door when stern steps down in January. You have to earn your way to a championship." - Me

I also find it funny that all the Lakers-Heat fans keep saying the knicks won't make it past the first round, I'm still not sure what there deal is with NY.

What I took out of this post: Stern is screwing over my favorite team.

Which would be absolutely stupid because why would he screw over the biggest market in the country? Wasn't Stern a Knick fan when he grew up too?:laugh2:

And the reason why people are saying that is because the Knicks haven't made it out of the first round in over a decade and their big star has only made it out once out of 9 tries.

Jarvo
11-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Can the Knicks & Heat fans just get along?

mjm07
11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
^ that'll never happen.

ManningToTyree
11-21-2012, 01:57 PM

no. never have, never will lol.

Obviously NYK making the finals would draw huge ratings. Same for either LA team and the heat. or a BOS-LAL final.

mjm07
11-21-2012, 01:58 PM
HEAT vs Lakers or OKC or Spurs or Memphis or Denver would be more huge and better for the NBA. IMO

WAYNEBO
11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
lol.

i predicted boston-miami ecf in the preseason. see no reason to change that.

You don't watch games do you? Bet you sold Marlins jerseys in Cuba too.

knicks=love
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
i would rather a lakers-knicks matchup because of the history, and d'antoni being on the other side now. i also think the ratings would go through the roof, and obviously PSD would explode.

i think we'll come up short this year though.. unless we continue to play at this level at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

todu82
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't be as great as Knicks/Lakers but it could be a huge ratings bonanza for the NBA nonetheless.

knicks=love
11-21-2012, 02:07 PM

barney? :eyebrow:

Jesse2272
11-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I think a KYK heat ECF would be epic the after math just gravy

Jarvo
11-21-2012, 02:51 PM
no. never have, never will lol.

Obviously NYK making the finals would draw huge ratings. Same for either LA team and the heat. or a BOS-LAL final.

Im a Spurs fan and this is me being unbiased. Even though I dislike all NY sport teams but the Yankees :confused: I respect them and seeing the Knicks in the EFC or NBA Finals will draw and I would watch. I'll pick them any day over the damn clippers can't stand Blake.

VillaMaravilla
11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Ill be happy just being in the finals and taking out Miami on the way there!

NYYCowboys
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
JCraw vs. his old team would be a huge storyline.

ewing
11-21-2012, 03:13 PM

I guess if you are friends with Jamal Crawford

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Yeah because the first thing that would come to mind for the average NBA fan for this matchup is "Crawford facing his old team is going to be so awesome."

faze38
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Knicks vs anybody is huge I mean they are only the second most valuable team in the league even tho they have had 10 bad years. That alone should tell any fan how big of a deal any NY team is. Knicks have a huge following and if they can make it to the finals that following will only get larger.

GiantsSwaGG
11-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Port
ATL
Nyk
Chi

Which one?:confused:

ManningToTyree
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Port
ATL
Nyk
Chi

Which one?:confused:

He clearly meant the knicks.

JordansBulls
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I see the ECF being between Boston and Miami as well mainly because I would love to see a Celtics-Lakers finals again.. This time it's for all the marbles!

Naw, no one wants to see that. It was only good when you had arguably the top 2 players in the league going at it. Celtics may not even have a top 10 player in the league now.

Cracka2HI!
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
cant really be a homer if your a bandwagon fan

Wait, you're a Laker fan and you're calling a Clipper fan of 18 years who has 6 years of fanhood on this forum a "bandwagoner"!?!? LOL, it would be very hard to make a more foolish statement than this!

Jesse2272
11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
The way BOS playing how can anyone see them in the ECF against the Heat

mzgrizz
11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
A lakers-celtics finals would be better. Best rivalry in sports. I would also like to see a KG-Duncan finals, two of the best ever at that position going at it would be awesome.

:yawn:

JWO35
11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't watch...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Because 11 games doesn't determine how good a team is:shrug:

mzgrizz
11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Wait, you're a Laker fan and you're calling a Clipper fan of 18 years who has 6 years of fanhood on this forum a "bandwagoner"!?!? LOL, it would be very hard to make a more foolish statement than this!

I'll vouch for your Clipper status!!!

Cracka2HI!
11-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I'll vouch for your Clipper status!!!

Thanks! :cheers: Yea our discussion during the 1st game of the year proves go back to at least 06 LOL!

Did you read this whole thread? A lot of people giving love to your Grizz!!

SACNYY
11-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Yawn. That'd be terrible. No one wants to see that ugly *** Griffin missing every shot he puts up that's not a dunk.

Cracka2HI!
11-22-2012, 03:18 AM
Yawn. That'd be terrible. No one wants to see that ugly *** Griffin missing every shot he puts up that's not a dunk.

I'm ashamed to live in the same city as you :facepalm:

JK, how you like living in Anaheim? And why does it look like you're a Sacramento and Yankees fan?

JordansBulls
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM

How is this going to happen my friend?

SteBO
11-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Because 11 games doesn't determine how good a team is:shrug:
Aren't small sample sizes great??!!!!

NYYCowboys
11-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I guess if you are friends with Jamal Crawford

Yeah because the first thing that would come to mind for the average NBA fan for this matchup is "Crawford facing his old team is going to be so awesome."

#Sarcasm

N3TS
11-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I think it would be a good series, especially to see the match ups.

mzgrizz
11-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks! :cheers: Yea our discussion during the 1st game of the year proves go back to at least 06 LOL!

Did you read this whole thread? A lot of people giving love to your Grizz!!

Yep. Hell must have frozen over. Lol