PDA

View Full Version : General Concensus On Mitch Kupchak?

JasonJohnHorn
11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I did one of these on Jerry Krause yesterday (and sadly didn't get many responses), but with the "best GM in the lat 15 years thread" out there right now, I was just wondering what the general concesus is on Mitch Kupchak.

Now, if you've read my posts you will see I am somewhat critical of Kupchak, and that perhaps is a little unfair. In all honesty though he was handed a dynasty, and frankly didn't do a good job of keeping it together. A big part of that was the Kobe-Shaq dynamic, and I think part of the issues with Jackson's depature and how the Shaq situation was handled should be on Jim Buss's shoulder, and not Mitch's.

That said, I Mitch has made some mistakes, and some of those mistakes have turned out to be blessings. Cutler for Brown? Mistake. Burler went on to become and All-Star, Brown not so much. But Brown's expiring contract is exactly what Memphis wanted so it eventually helped him land Pau (which kept Kobe in LA). The Howard situation, he nearly fumbled. He failed to get it done last season, and then failed again to get it done at the beginning of the offseason, and was lucky that neither BK or HOU managed to put together and offer that Orlando liked, and lucky that he found somebody in Philly was willing to take a gamble on Bynum, because Orlando wouldn't. Mitch did some good work in landing Howard, but since March Mitch has handed out FIVE first round draft picks. He also let important role players like Fisher and Horry go (Horry would go on to win two more rigns with the Spurs, as the Lakers expense) and Fisher would ultimately prove valuable as he forced a return to LA and helped them with two more rings.

When it comes to the draft, I haven't seen much in Mitch that impresses me, though in his defense he has had late picks generally speaking. Bynum was not hit pick, he was Jim Buss's pick. Also, I'm not sure where Mitch sat on the Kidd trade (Kobe wanted LA to trade Bynum for kidd at one point), but I know Buss was the guy that wanted to hang onto Bynum.

When it comes to hiring coaches, Mitch has also not been the greatest. He let Phil walk away after Shaq, and failed to get an adequate replacement, then failed again in selecting Mike Brown (who though a good coach, is just not right). the 'Antoni signing may prove be bad or good, we don't know yet, but both moves I will forgive Mitch for because I think Jim Buss had more to do with them than Mitch (though Mitch did say they were unaminous picks).

So ultiamtely, what is your take on Mitch? I think he is a decent GM, who made some mistakes early in his tenrue, but has proved suitable for the job, and has been very fortunate as well in that he has had some luck and deep pockets to work with. That said, I would not rank him high among the GMs in the league (guys in OKC SA IND and POR have all done great jobs despite some setbacks in some of those situations).

Mitch is good, and lucky. What do you think?

douglas
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Mitch Kupchak is really good at getting good players to play for his team.

shep33
11-20-2012, 08:07 PM
He's the Thomas Crown of NBA GMs

Utd7
11-20-2012, 08:10 PM
He rapes teams in trades, ALWAYS.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-20-2012, 09:13 PM
He's a great negotiator and what impresses me about him is that he's able to turn bad contracts into good assets or expirings. Like dumping Chris Mihm to Memphis for a 2nd rd pick, Fisher for Jordan Hill, Mo Evans and Brian Cook for Ariza, Vlad Rad for Shannon Brown and Ammo. Walton for Sessions. He gets good young players while dumping off old or useless players with bad contracts.

kingsdelez24
11-20-2012, 09:32 PM
I did one of these on Jerry Krause yesterday (and sadly didn't get many responses), but with the "best GM in the lat 15 years thread" out there right now, I was just wondering what the general concesus is on Mitch Kupchak.

Now, if you've read my posts you will see I am somewhat critical of Kupchak, and that perhaps is a little unfair. In all honesty though he was handed a dynasty, and frankly didn't do a good job of keeping it together. A big part of that was the Kobe-Shaq dynamic, and I think part of the issues with Jackson's depature and how the Shaq situation was handled should be on Jim Buss's shoulder, and not Mitch's.

That said, I Mitch has made some mistakes, and some of those mistakes have turned out to be blessings. Cutler for Brown? Mistake. Burler went on to become and All-Star, Brown not so much. But Brown's expiring contract is exactly what Memphis wanted so it eventually helped him land Pau (which kept Kobe in LA). The Howard situation, he nearly fumbled. He failed to get it done last season, and then failed again to get it done at the beginning of the offseason, and was lucky that neither BK or HOU managed to put together and offer that Orlando liked, and lucky that he found somebody in Philly was willing to take a gamble on Bynum, because Orlando wouldn't. Mitch did some good work in landing Howard, but since March Mitch has handed out FIVE first round draft picks. He also let important role players like Fisher and Horry go (Horry would go on to win two more rigns with the Spurs, as the Lakers expense) and Fisher would ultimately prove valuable as he forced a return to LA and helped them with two more rings.

When it comes to the draft, I haven't seen much in Mitch that impresses me, though in his defense he has had late picks generally speaking. Bynum was not hit pick, he was Jim Buss's pick. Also, I'm not sure where Mitch sat on the Kidd trade (Kobe wanted LA to trade Bynum for kidd at one point), but I know Buss was the guy that wanted to hang onto Bynum.

When it comes to hiring coaches, Mitch has also not been the greatest. He let Phil walk away after Shaq, and failed to get an adequate replacement, then failed again in selecting Mike Brown (who though a good coach, is just not right). the 'Antoni signing may prove be bad or good, we don't know yet, but both moves I will forgive Mitch for because I think Jim Buss had more to do with them than Mitch (though Mitch did say they were unaminous picks).

So ultiamtely, what is your take on Mitch? I think he is a decent GM, who made some mistakes early in his tenrue, but has proved suitable for the job, and has been very fortunate as well in that he has had some luck and deep pockets to work with. That said, I would not rank him high among the GMs in the league (guys in OKC SA IND and POR have all done great jobs despite some setbacks in some of those situations).

Mitch is good, and lucky. What do you think?

Rudy Tomjanovich had them over .500 before he left for medical reasons and then Kobe and Odom got shut down with injuries afterwards which left the Lakers to plummet down the standings

Chronz
11-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Rudy Tomjanovich had them over .500 before he left for medical reasons and then Kobe and Odom got shut down with injuries afterwards which left the Lakers to plummet down the standings

They were above .500 but they had the efficiency differentials of a much worse team and their early season schedule was cupcake. The Lakers actually played pretty well in Kobe's absence, it wasnt until Odom went down that the Lakers spiraled out of control. They dont make the playoffs that year under any circumstance. The team went like 3-17 or some **** like that even though Kobe was healthy and producing better than he was earlier in the year. They were easily the worst defensive team in the league that year.

JasonJohnHorn
11-20-2012, 09:37 PM

You make a good point. Still, Rudy was out before the season even finished. And the Mike Brown hiring was awful (though again, my instincts tell me that was more Jim Buss than Mitch).

Mitch is doing a good job, espcially considering that he has to keep Jim Buss happy and Jim Buss doesn't know what he's doing. My point is that while Mitch is a good GM, his success has a lot to do with the advantages that he has over other GMs. I mean, most GMs don't get handed the keys to a dynasty. Mitch has been working with West though for a long time before he tookk over, and he deserves his job, but he has made some big mistakes and has been very lucky that he has been able to turn a couple of them around.

kbtwofour
11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Mitch is great at acquiring the right players at the right time. He just needs to work on his free agents and draft picks.

LAKERMANIA
11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Mitch is great at acquiring the right players at the right time. He just needs to work on his free agents and draft picks.

This.

Aust
11-20-2012, 11:07 PM
One of the top GMs in the league

bholly
11-21-2012, 12:15 AM
'consensus', fwiw.

Seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time with some deals, and his patience in waiting for a Dwight deal was better than a lot of GMs would've done, but without knowing him it's hard to know how much is him and how much is the benefits of the situation he's in.

king4day
11-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Since the voting options were very onesided, I added 'very opportunistic' to the list. That's what he is. Spurs GM is better but he does well with what he's given. He can hide mistakes behind the LA money. We'll never know how good he truely is unless he goes to a team like the Bucks or Raptors.