Matt Moore
Royce Young
Zach Harper

Subscribe: RSS
Baseline Awards 11.19.12: Revving the engines

By Matt Moore | Senior Blogger
November 19, 2012 11:58 am ET

7 | Comments

Kevin Durant has found himself, and the Thunder are rolling. (Getty Images)

The Baseline Awards hand out rewards for exceptional and not-so-exceptional events and players of the past week. Award rankings are at the end and, please, watch your step as you exit the ride.

Eastern Conference Player of the Week

Brandon Jennings, Bucks: Come on, LeBron can't win it every week. That would get stale. How about this? Brandon Jennings, the Brandon Jennings, shot 50-40-90 last week, (50 percent from the field, 40 percent from 3, 90 percent from the line) for 24 points with seven rebounds and three steals. Absolutely stunning numbers for a player so many have questioned. Contract year, man. Contract year.

Western Conference Player of the Week

Kevin Durant, Thunder: It's not the scoring, for once. Durant this week averaged 10 rebounds and six steals to go along with 28 points per game. The expansion of his game was something pivotal for his development, but it's still stunning to see. With James Harden gone, Durant's doing more. Additionally, I saw him testing out post moves this week, in games. The results weren't great, but it's still a sign he's exploring it, which, much like LeBron, is basically a real-life American Horror Story for everyone else.

Narratives of the Week

"Royce White is in a standoff over airplane travel."

It's amazing to me how lazy members of the media will just kind of fill in the gaps on stories like this with whatever they want. Listen, I'm lazy sometimes. I write four to six posts a day, sometimes as many as 10. It's like the NBA regular season: It's a grind, and you can't go all-out every day. But when you're dealing with a kid's mental illness, maybe you should aim higher than just assuming this conflict is over him getting on a plane. It's part of it, but that's like saying someone with chicken pox has a complexion problem.

White's in an incredibly complicated situation that involves not just his mental health but also his ego, his temperament and what he believes is a moral stand. It's not about airplanes.

"Andrew Bynum is a moron who injured himself bowling."

Thing is, this seems ridiculous precisely because of how unlikely it is. How do you injure your knees bowling? How does that happen? I think the worse part of this is that Bynum tried to hide it, at least from the press. That's just not a good look. I don't blame the guy for wanting to have a little fun while he's injured; it has to be frustrating not doing anything physical. But there's just no way for him not to look silly here.

"Rajon Rondo's double-digit assist streak means something."

It has been 34 games now with Rondo dishing at least 10 assists after he just managed to whip out enough in a Celtics mail-it-in loss on Sunday. Is this streak enough to really focus on? It's the third-longest in NBA history, and that seems like a huge deal. But it's such an arbitrary number. Is the gap between nine and 10 in one category that big? I get a double-double streak a lot better. This one feels a little bit forced.

Also, I have no problem with Rondo gunning for assists in the game on Sunday. It was the Celtics' third game in four nights, and the team just clearly didn't have it. He could have played it straight and as hard as he could, and it wouldn't have made a difference. Rondo is the only player with a shot at 30 to break Scott Skiles' record, a real record that matters. Any shot that he has to get it, he should take. That will live forever if he breaks it. The double-assist record won't.

Eastern Conference Team of the Week:

Milwaukee Bucks

And not just because they were the only Eastern team to go undefeated this week. Brandon Jennings has this team running on all cylinders and, man, that sounds weird to say. The Bucks have the 11th-best defensive efficiency in the league this season and the 12th-best offense. It's not elite, but it's good enough to get them second in the East and a plus-9.3 efficiency mark this week.

Western Conference Team of the Week:

Los Angeles Lakers

Hear me out. A plus-10.9 efficiency mark this week, and their only loss was to the San Antonio Spurs on a late-game disaster. Bernie Bickerstaff is going to go out having had one of the best coaching weeks in the NBA this season. Standing O, Bernie. Now move aside, the D'Antoni circus must go on.

The Mayan Apocalypse Award for WHAT?!

The Bucks play the Bobcats on Monday night in a meaningful Eastern Conference matchup. What is happening?

The 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' Award for coaching their face off

Lionel Hollins, Grizzlies: Memphis is giving teams the Grizzness. And if you want the key, it's no one player holding the team up; it's consistent and complete effort on both ends of the floor. Hollins has this team believing it is as good as it looks. They won't be this good the whole year. But if they get to the playoffs in this condition, they're going to be incredibly dangerous and primed for a shocker.

The Horde Award for team you should fear:

Oklahoma City Thunder: Verrrry quietly, the Thunder have made themselves into, you know, the Thunder. A plus-8.3 efficiency mark this week, Durant's playing at an MVP-level again, and Russell Westbrook is starting to figure it out. You want to know how well things are going offensively for OKC? Thabo Sefolosha is shooting 50-40-90 this season. That's how you know the going ain't tough.

The 'Hello, Kitty' Award for team wimpiness

Denver Nuggets: Destroyed by the Spurs on the road after losing to Miami, which was on a fifth-game-in-a-six-game-road-trip, back-to-back-after-getting-in-at-4-a.m. gimme game. The Nuggets are a mess right now and look to be making fools of everyone's lofty preseason expectations, especially mine.

The Ricky Davis Honorary Award for more field goal attempts than points

Andrea Bargnani, Raptors: 59 points on 63 shots.

Michael Beasley, Suns: 56 points on 62 shots.

Mo Williams, Jazz: 55 points on 60 shots.

Paul George, Pacers: 55 points on 57 shots.

Josh Smith, Hawks: 54 points on 55 shots.

Awards watch

MVP
1. LeBron James, Heat: Nearly didn't play Saturday with an illness, still dominated, still won. Next level.
2. Carmelo Anthony, Knicks: Became frustrated in the Memphis game, which cost his team, but his defensive and rebounding effort has been so high and has translated to production.
3. Kobe Bryant, Lakers: If his defense were just a step better, he'd be No. 1 on this list. And not just for scoring. He's doing everything right now, a transcendent start to the season in what could be his best ever.
4. Kevin Durant, Thunder: All the stuff we said above, plus, you know, he can score the crap out of the ball and is becoming a better defender every day.
5. Chris Paul, Clippers: The quietest brilliance you can imagine.

ROY
1. Damian Lillard, Blazers: Took over the game twice over the weekend, and the Blazers are a .500 team almost entirely because of him.
2. Anthony Davis, Hornets: Turned an ankle, re-aggravated it, dropped his best game of the season this weekend. Monster.
3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bobcats: Making a difference in places outside of the box score, and a huge reason the Cats are competitive.
4. Dion Waiters, Cavaliers: Stock is falling ...
5. Andre Drummond, Pistons: Things I did not expect to say this early: #FreeDrummond

COY:
1. Lionel Hollins, Grizzlies: Player development, balance, rotation management, defense, intensity, consistency -- Hollins has done it all these first three weeks.
2. Mike Woodson, Knicks: Keeping the defense sharp as the offense starts to regress will be key.
3. Gregg Popovich, Spurs: Ho-hum, the usual.
4. Vinny Del Negro, Clippers: Give me an argument why not that doesn't involve inflating Chris Paul's role with the team. See, you can't!
5. Mike Dunlap, Bobcats: The Bobcats, man, the Bobcats.

Honorable mention: Rick Adelman, Timberwolves; Scott Skiles, Bucks; Rick Carlisle, Mavericks

6MOY
1. Jamal Crawford, Clippers: He's basically a starter, but he's not starting. He's starting to look like this year's Harden. 50-40-90 with a terrific PER.
2. Kevin Martin, Thunder: Doing what he needs to and producing. That's the goal, right?
3. Carl Landry, Warriors: Muscle + Effort + Savvy = Success.
4. J.R. Smith, Knicks: I will never get used to him making the smart play consistently.
5. Ray Allen, Heat: Have we mentioned how unfair it is the Heat got Ray Allen?

DPOY
1. Tony Allen, Grizzlies: Junkyard dog gotta eat.
2. Omer Asik, Rockets: Big man is big.
3. Dwight Howard, Lakers: Starting to get it together, and the results are showing it.
4. Carmelo Anthony, Knicks: (Jaw remains dropped.)
5. LaVoy Allen, 76ers: Allowing just .512 points per possession, via Synergy Sports.
Tags: Andre Drummond, Andrea Bargnani, Andrew Bynum, Anthony Davis, Brandon Jennings, Carl Landry, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard, Dion Waiters, Dwight Howard, J.R. Smith, Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Kevin Durant, Kevin Martin, Kobe Bryant, Lavoy Allen, LeBron James, Michael Beasley, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Mo Williams, Omer Asik, Paul George, Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Royce White, Tony Allen, Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Charlotte Bobcats, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Hornets, New York Knicks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers, San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, NBA

BklynKnicks3
11-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Melo still 2nd in Mvp and 4th in dpoy not bad for the 17th best player in the league. Knicks are now 7-1 and on the way to 54 wins just like i said before the season.

bucketss
11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
andrea bargnani:facepalm:

thenaj17
11-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Melo still 2nd in Mvp and 4th in dpoy not bad for the 17th best player in the league. Knicks are now 7-1 and on the way to 54 wins just like i said before the season.

You say that like it's a great achievement or bold prediction.

You should be aiming for 60 wins

LongIslandIcedZ
11-20-2012, 10:49 AM

I'm aiming for 81 wins.

I'd be happy with 60, or 54 for that matter.

Melo has been playing outstanding defense, especially by Melo standards. But he isnt even the best defender on the Knicks so thats weird.

I like him near the top of the MVP voting, his all around game is really shining right now.

Very hard to kick that "no defense" stigma though, gotta bring it 40 minutes every game.

D-Leethal
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Melo still 2nd in Mvp and 4th in dpoy not bad for the 17th best player in the league.

Haha, I respect your persistency. You sure do stick to your guns. I think you deserve to gloat a little bit. :clap:

17th best player in the league was a joke, anyone with a brain new that. I am sure you consider me a Melo hater in the Knicks forum and I even knew that.

LOL. We were the projected 7 seed, some said we would struggle to make playoffs.

54 wins is not a great achievement for this team who hasn't won 50 games in like 15 years?

D-Leethal
11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm aiming for 81 wins.

I'd be happy with 60, or 54 for that matter.

Melo has been playing outstanding defense, especially by Melo standards. But he isnt even the best defender on the Knicks so thats weird.

I like him near the top of the MVP voting, his all around game is really shining right now.

Very hard to kick that "no defense" stigma though, gotta bring it 40 minutes every game.

If you ask Charles I am sure he will still say the Knicks don't play no defense :facepalm:

Yet he loves the Pacers. How did they look on Sunday against our no defense playing Knicks? :facepalm:

Chronz
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Melo a dpoy candidate? Cmon now

bucketss
11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
i always wonder to myself is the op a melo fan or a knicks fan. i don't think i have ever seen him talk about the knicks or other knick players

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Tony Allen >

thank you again.

Baller1
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Melo and Kobe above KD still... Haha.

KnickaBocka.44
11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Justin needs to see this

justinnum1
11-20-2012, 12:08 PM
This article lost all credibility after seeing Melo as a dpoy candidate lol. and #2 in MVP running? :laugh:

CBS needs to stick to college and comedies.

justinnum1
11-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Fixed.

You know melo is neither a MVP candidate or DPOY candidate. Don't be blind.

KnickaBocka.44
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm not sold on the DPOY, but he is a legit MVP candidate so far

mike44
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I dont see how Melo is ranked higher than KD at this point.

Baller1
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not sold on the DPOY, but he is a legit MVP candidate so far

Shooting 43%? 31% from deep and 78% from the line? An assist% below 10? A PER under 22? Melo's stats are trash other than a solid rebounding number for a SF, too bad KD's averaging three more.

At least Kobe's offensive numbers are MVP worthy and up there with KD, but KD has elite defensive numbers and a much better team record. The order should be:

1. Lebron
2. KD
3. CP3
4. Kobe
5. Randolph

Melo shouldn't even sniff MVP with his numbers.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I can buy into Melo being an MVP CANDIDATE.

The DPOY thing, is however, just recognition for how much he has improved. He still isnt in the talks of five best defensive players in the league, but I dont think anyone can deny he has improved a tremendous amount. It's funny what a little effort on that end of the floor can do.

Il Mago50
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Uh CP3 for MVP....how not at least #2...

Baller1
11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Also, Dunlap is the COTY at this point. Hollins has been awesome too, but it has to go to Dunlap as of now.

BklynKnicks3
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
i always wonder to myself is the op a melo fan or a knicks fan. i don't think i have ever seen him talk about the knicks or other knick players

both Beautiful being a fan when ur fav player comes to ur fav team. Iam a die hard knick fan and a Melo/crawford/kobe Fan along with few others. But knciks over anything. I talk about knicks in the knicks forum Over here i Hate on Heat and praise Melo.

Melo and lecoward are the only 2 players in the NBA who are top 3 at playing 3 diff postions. Even thoe the coward is prolly top 3 at 4 postions.

FraziersKnicks
11-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Shooting 43%? 31% from deep and 78% from the line? An assist% below 10? A PER under 22? Melo's stats are trash other than a solid rebounding number for a SF, too bad KD's averaging three more.

At least Kobe's offensive numbers are MVP worthy and up there with KD, but KD has elite defensive numbers and a much better team record. The order should be:

1. Lebron
2. KD
3. CP3
4. Kobe
5. Randolph

Why are you looking at the numbers so much? Have you not been watching the Knicks play? Melo has been playing the best defense of his career, attacking the basket relentlessly and has been the best player on the best team in the NBA so far. How is he not an MVP candidate?

The award doesn't go to the guy with the best numbers, we all know that. It goes to the guy who's usually the best player on the best team.

I'm not saying he's gonna win it, but to say he's not a candidate so far isn't a fair statement.

For the record, here's how I have it:

1. LeBron James
2. Chris Paul
3. Kevin Durant
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Tim Duncan

Of course I don't think this is how it's gonna finish, but the season's still young and Melo has helped his team to the best record in the NBA so far. He deserves some props.

KnickaBocka.44
11-20-2012, 12:57 PM

1. Lebron
2. KD
3. CP3
4. Kobe
5. Randolph

He's carrying the team with the best record in the league. It's pretty simple.

If it weren't for him they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are right now, and his effort has been consistent on both ends of the floor.

I'm not saying he deserves to win it, but that is why he is in the conversation and a candidate for MVP at this point early in the season.

Gators123
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I think Drummond would be at least 3rd for ROY if he got the minutes. Frank would rather play Maxiell even though Drummond is outplaying him.

His per 36 stats are- 15.3 points, 11.1 rebounds, 1.9 steals, and 2.3 blocks.

Season Age Tm Lg G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
2012-13 19 DET NBA 11 169 23.6 .683 .709 14.5 21.7 18.1 5.3 2.8 5.1 14.6 16.6 123 100 0.5 0.3 0.8 .213

And Frank barley wants to play him 15 MPG. :sigh:

BklynKnicks3
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
the worst thing that ever happend to basketball is per/+/- and all the nonsense efficancy stats. Now people who dont play the game think this non sense matters. All about the eye test. Cp3 is great but give me Melo anyday and twice on sunday. 6'8 240 vs a 6'0 baby. Clippers mvp has been crawford if u watch the games he has been cold blooded.

Chronz
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
the worst thing that ever happend to basketball is per/+/- and all the nonsense efficancy stats. Now people who dont play the game think this non sense matters. All about the eye test. Cp3 is great but give me Melo anyday and twice on sunday. 6'8 240 vs a 6'0 baby. Clippers mvp has been crawford if u watch the games he has been cold blooded.

Thank god for stats that actual GM's, coaches, analysts, and other employees of the NBA use. Now we dont have to listen to people thinking their eyes are more relevant than someone else's eyes.

Sorry bro, but Ill take my eye test and the numbers that back them, over your opinion.

BklynKnicks3
11-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Thank god for stats that actual GM's, coaches, analysts, and other employees of the NBA use. Now we dont have to listen to people thinking their eyes are more relevant than someone else's eyes.

Sorry bro, but Ill take my eye test and the numbers that back them, over your opinion.

those stats mean nothing. Melo vs magic was 25 and 8 on 50% shooting I thought he played horrible. Vs spurs he was 3 for 12 9 points 12 boards and played great just by how much attention he drew from spurs. those stupid stats dont tell u any of that. AIts liek the game in college stepg curry had like 4 points but had 3 people on him all game and his team won. Want to take me away fine but it will take more then 1 person sometimes more then 2. #talktoem

justinnum1
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
those stats mean nothing. Melo vs magic was 25 and 8 on 50% shooting I thought he played horrible. Vs spurs he was 3 for 12 9 points 12 boards and played great just by how much attention he drew from spurs. those stupid stats dont tell u any of that. AIts liek the game in college stepg curry had like 4 points but had 3 people on him all game and his team won. Want to take me away fine but it will take more then 1 person sometimes more then 2. #talktoem

In your eyes melo is probably better than jordan lol

teddygreen17
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Andrea has been over-rated since he came into the league..Melo is legit MVP Candidate.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
This article lost all credibility after seeing Melo as a dpoy candidate lol. and #2 in MVP running? :laugh:

And you need to stop trolling everyone who thinks positively of melo Knicks and Kobe and the lakers

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Why are you looking at the numbers so much? Have you not been watching the Knicks play? Melo has been playing the best defense of his career, attacking the basket relentlessly and has been the best player on the best team in the NBA so far. How is he not an MVP candidate?

The award doesn't go to the guy with the best numbers, we all know that. It goes to the guy who's usually the best player on the best team.

I'm not saying he's gonna win it, but to say he's not a candidate so far isn't a fair statement.

For the record, here's how I have it:

1. LeBron James
2. Chris Paul
3. Kevin Durant
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Tim Duncan

Of course I don't think this is how it's gonna finish, but the season's still young and Melo has helped his team to the best record in the NBA so far. He deserves some props.

What a fail of a list

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
1. bron
2. durant
3. melo
4. kobe

imo

Chronz
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
lmfao

Lets see, who should I believe, you or the statisticians, GM's etc.....

hmmm touch choice lmfao

PS Which Melo do you think will win you more games, the one thats unstoppable or the guy who has to be a decoy? I guarantee you the Knicks would suffer if Melo averages those numbers for an entire year while the productive Melo would help them. Thats why your single game example is meaningless when compared to entire careers worth of data.

RonE Coleman
11-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Melo a dpoy candidate? Cmon now

You're a stat geek on here... just check the numbers for yourself

RonE Coleman
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM

How is he not a MVP candidate? He is the best player on the team with the best record (so far).

That worked for Derrick Rose when you could argue Lebron had a better year in 2010.

With that said the MVP is still Lebrons to lose but to say Melo is not a candidate as of right now is just dumb.

P Styles
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Riveting tale, would read again.

I especially loved the part where you provided supporting evidence to back up why "melo is not a MVP candidate".

Just another one of your quality posts. Hell, you've got tens of thousands of those quality posts by now. Surprised you haven't been picked up by a network for basketball analysis.

Chronz
11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
You're a stat geek on here... just check the numbers for yourself
But Defense isnt just about numbers and when you do use them, they arent very reliable this early.

xxplayerxx23
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Um were 8 ****ing games in, who is to say Brandon Jennings can't be an Mvp candidate. Very premature, but Melo is an MVP candadiate.

xxplayerxx23
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Paul>Kobe :D

RonE Coleman
11-20-2012, 04:35 PM
But Defense isnt just about numbers and when you do use them, they arent very reliable this early.

Cool story bro... watch the games then.

Chronz
11-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Cool story bro... watch the games then.
So you got nothing? Seriously tho u gotta admit its too much love.

SugeKnight
11-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Landry for MVP

xxplayerxx23
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Melo's defense isn't good enough to be considered DPOY though, its way improved and what I would now call good but not that good.

RonE Coleman
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
So you got nothing? Seriously tho u gotta admit its too much love.

Melo at the PF position is a very good defender.

Melo at SF is not.

He is playing PF now and has can use quickness and hands against most of the power forwards he has played up against already. In one on one situations opponents are shooting roughly 27% against him this year.

If you want to check it feel free I could care less but just dismissing the notion that he is playing great defense simply because "hes Melo" is dumb.

You constantly love to tell people they are wrong because you pull out some bogus numbers but when someone uses them against you its "oh the sample size is too small now".

Meanwhile those rankings are for how people have played up until this point 2 weeks into the season, not what they will or will not be come seasons end.

nycericanguy
11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Melo's offensive numbers haven't really been good so far.

But I will say this, in his defense, I have NEVER seen a wing player that goes down low and grabs his own misses repeatedly as much as Melo does. It seems like every game there are 2-3 sequences where Melo misses, grabs the rebound in traffic and gets 2-3 tip in attempts before being fouled or putting it back in. That right there KILLS his offensive efficiency stats. I've seen Melo go from having an 8-14 night, to 8-17 on just one possession where he never even had a clean shot.

topdog
11-20-2012, 05:00 PM
The Ricky Davis Honorary Award for more field goal attempts than points

Andrea Bargnani, Raptors: 59 points on 63 shots.

Michael Beasley, Suns: 56 points on 62 shots.

Mo Williams, Jazz: 55 points on 60 shots.

Paul George, Pacers: 55 points on 57 shots.

Josh Smith, Hawks: 54 points on 55 shots.

:laugh:

Michael Beasley's All-Star campaign has started off very well.

FraziersKnicks
11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
What a fail of a list

Why you crying bro? Because I didn't include Kobe? The Kobe who plays for a team who is .500?

If your team doesn't have a winning record, you're not even gonna get a sniff at MVP, so dry your eyes son.

knicksfan42
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Best player on the best team as of right now= MVP candidate. If Knicks finish 2nd in the conference then Melo is certainly a MVP candidate.

BklynKnicks3
11-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Bully season get down or lay down u have been warned top 2 player in nba