PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays hire John Gibbons as manager

sacgiants1213
11-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Everything old is new again.

Again.

It’s not Cito Gaston 2.0, but John Gibbons 2.0.

Gibbons, who managed the Blue Jays for parts of five seasons from 2004 to 2008, will be introduced Tuesday morning as their next manager.

At the general managers meeting in Indian Wells, Calif., Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said he was “looking for someone he could work with, someone his staff could work with, someone who was good for the city, good for the whole country.”

Going on a we-need-to-know-you-to-hire-you basis we figured the only people Anthopoulos knew with previous managerial experience were Frank Robinson from their days together with the Montreal Expos, plus Cito Gaston, bench coach Don Wakamatsu, and John Farrell from his GM days.

We forgot about Anthouplous’ time as an assistant GM, under J.P. Ricciardi. Anthopoulos and Gibbons were close friends, working well together.

Anthopoulos and Gibbons were spotted dining in Yorkville Sunday night.

Gibbons replaced fired manager Carlos Tosca in 2004. Tosca also inquired about returning as the Jays manager.

Under Gibbons in 2004, the Jays were 20-30. Gibbons had talent and great expectations in 2006 after the Jays landed free agents A.J. Burnett, B. J. Ryan, and Bengie Molina, while trading for Troy Glaus and Lyle Overbay.

The Jays ended in second place in the American League East division with an 87-75 record, one game ahead of the Boston Red Sox, the first time the Jays had escaped third place since 1993.

The last game Gibbons managed the Jays was in Milwaukee, an interleague contest. The Jays won 8-5 after dropping the first two games of the series.

The charter flight arrived in Pittsburgh and Gibbons was fired by Ricciardi, who put Gaston into the manager’s office for a second time.

Gibbons managed the Jays for 610 games (305-305, .500).

The Jays have been riding a crest of excitement and popularity since the 12-player deal with the Miami Marlins brought in shortstop Jose Reyes, right-hander Josh Johnson, lefty Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and utility man Emilio Bonifacio. The Jays also have signed free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

Both deals were finalized on Monday.

The thought was that the Jays would try to keep the season’s tickets and merchandise momentum going by hiring a high-profile manager. They approached Bobby Cox, who is headed for the Hall of Fame, but he decided to stay retired.

They interviewed Los Angles Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach and decided to go with experience.

The old saw about people not coming to ball parks to see a manager manage remains true. One month in, John Gibbons will be either a good manager or a bad manager based on his club’s record.

Since leaving the Jays, he has been the bench coach with the Kansas City Royals and managed double-A San Antonio, in the San Diego Padres organization, to a 60-80 record this summer.

Gibbons, the son of U.S. Air Force Col. William Gibbons, had his first at-bat playing Little League in Goose Bay Labrador, when his father was stationed there.

There must be something about the water in San Antonio which attracts the Jays front office to the city.

Gaston, currently vacationing in Hawaii, grew up on the east side of San Antonio at 239 Belmont St., while Gibbons grew up on the north-east side on La Albada Rd.

Gibbons is affable with the players, press and fans, a lifer after coming up in the New York Mets system. He has the other side of the pillow too.

After DH Shea Hillenbrand who wrote “this ship is sinking,” on the display board in the clubhouse in 2006, Gibbons confronted him behind closed doors and challenged him. Three days later, Hillenbrand was dealt.

The same year, lefty Ted Lilly refused to come out of the game as Gibbons made his second trip to the mound after watching an 8-0 lead nearly evaporate. Gibbons followed Lilly into the clubhouse tunnel where another confrontation happened.

When the doors opened, Lilly and Gibbons were both apologetic, no doubt with then-president Paul Godfrey’s peace mending.

As they say around the corral in Texas when a unbroken stallion enters the ring:

“Business just got a little tougher.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/20/toronto-blue-jays-to-name-john-gibbons-manager

Interesting decision to bring him back...

Vampirate
11-20-2012, 02:15 AM
I have no idea what AA is going to do these days, the guys moves are completely unpredictable.

Dol-Fan
11-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Awesome.

His in-game management was always solid (unlike Farrell), solid motivator and sticks up for his players, not afraid to challenge umps (unlike Farrell), also not afraid to challenge his players and hold everyone accountable (see: Shea Hillenbrand incident; Omar Vizquel said that accountability was a big issue in the Jays' clubhouse this past year). Downside: he comes off as a dumb hick.

I'm pretty happy about it, though there are probably downsides, there wasn't really a slam dunk pick out there, IMO, and I think he fits the direction of the team nicely.

Nomar
11-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Think they bring back Ted Lilly too?

Vampirate
11-20-2012, 02:19 AM

If they brought back Halladay, count me in!

Melo15
11-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Interesting move. I didn't see them going in this direction but it's not an awful fit. Going to be worth watching to see how he interacts with some of the players, mainly Lawrie.

Dol-Fan
11-20-2012, 02:22 AM
Interesting move. I didn't see them going in this direction but it's not an awful fit. Going to be worth watching to see how he interacts with some of the players, mainly Lawrie.

Fist fight if things go south? Perhaps...

Melo15
11-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Fist fight if things go south? Perhaps...

That would be sooooooooooooo epic.

Jeffy25
11-20-2012, 02:23 AM
I didn't really see that coming, but neat.

Vampirate
11-20-2012, 02:31 AM
I didn't really see that coming, but neat.

The better question is what AA moves DID you see coming?

dodgerdave
11-20-2012, 02:36 AM
It's only a matter of time that Jimy Williams makes a return.

Bombtista
11-20-2012, 02:43 AM
I met John Gibbons back in 2006 at Fenway park. No manager in the game packs bigger in game lips than him.

It will be nice to have a more strict manager to keep everyone disciplined.

Farsight
11-20-2012, 02:48 AM
He was good with his BP management during his bluejays tenure, cant say the same for Farrell. Always liked him and his hard nose approach to the game.

3mikee_
11-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Questionable movements..

LASportsFan1996
11-20-2012, 04:28 AM

He could be up for trade..........

mariner4life
11-20-2012, 04:30 AM
I'm not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. Didn't even know he was a candidate for the job.

macv
11-20-2012, 04:48 AM

I like this move and I don't think the Jays are done just yet, they're really going for it.

Ted Lilly and Shea Hillenbrand were both huge cowards that had a big mouth but couldn't back up their words.

Lilly=Sissy

He's probably scared of Gibbons too.
:D

treeleaf
11-20-2012, 06:42 AM
I love gibbons and the image that he adds to the team.

Plus the fans know him and he likes the city obv

R. Johnson#3
11-20-2012, 06:53 AM
This is his worst move yet. Why would he destroy this team?

mtf
11-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm indifferent about this move but I feel like Anthopoulos has earned the benefit of the doubt, although as I heard someone else say he is 0 for 1 with managers in his tenure.

R. Johnson#3
11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Jose Bautista will be our leadoff hitter.

mtf
11-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Jose Bautista will be our leadoff hitter.

Sweet... more at bats!

Gibby
11-20-2012, 08:14 AM
The man that inspired my PSD Username! The manager with the funniest walk to the mound.

SpecialFNK
11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I feel undecided. I don't know if I like this or I don't like this.
I wish it was someone else, someone better. but I think I like this better than the other names being mentioned like Riggleman/Tracy/Acta. but maybe there were not better options out there.
I read back early November that Art Howe wanted the Jays job, and this was before the big trade. think maybe Howe would have been better, but never even saw his name mentioned.

I guess it depends what John Gibbons the Jays get. maybe he has learned more since then.

how long before we hear about an argument in the dugout/clubhouse?

this seems like it's more of a risky move than a safe move.

I just hope he can manage the team to the strengths that it has.
looking back at statistics from when Gibbons managed the team before, the Jays never really had high numbers in SB. but maybe that was more on GM Ricciardi? the highest number of SB any Jays player had from 2004 to 2007 was 17. assuming Bonifacio is starting at 2B the Jays have 2 players who should be 30+ with Bonifacio and Reyes.

Gibby
11-20-2012, 08:17 AM
honestly i didn't like gibby when he was here but after cito and farrell, i don't mind him. he is much better in game manager than the other two. I forgot how many times cito would let brian ****ing tallet blow the game. Farrell didn't also know how manage the bullpen either.

Gibby
11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I feel undecided. I don't know if I like this or I don't like this.
I wish it was someone else, someone better. but I think I like this better than the other names being mentioned like Riggleman/Tracy/Acta. but maybe there were not better options out there.
I read back early November that Art Howe wanted the Jays job, and this was before the big trade. think maybe Howe would have been better, but never even saw his name mentioned.

I guess it depends what John Gibbons the Jays get. maybe he has learned more since then.

how long before we hear about an argument in the dugout/clubhouse?

this seems like it's more of a risky move than a safe move.

I just hope he can manage the team to the strengths that it has.
looking back at statistics from when Gibbons managed the team before, the Jays never really had high numbers in SB. but maybe that was more on GM Ricciardi? the highest number of SB any Jays player had from 2004 to 2007 was 17. assuming Bonifacio is starting at 2B the Jays have 2 players who should be 30+ with Bonifacio and Reyes.

i don't think the base stealing is a big issue. Gibbons didnt have much speed other than rios during those years.

SpecialFNK
11-20-2012, 08:30 AM
i don't think the base stealing is a big issue. Gibbons didnt have much speed other than rios during those years.

I was wondering if it was more the Jays philosophy back then as Ricciardi didn't like running into outs. I look at the SB numbers by Rios. from 2004 to 2007 he had 15/14/15/17. then in 2008 on he had 32/24/34.

Gibby
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I was wondering if it was more the Jays philosophy back then as Ricciardi didn't like running into outs. I look at the SB numbers by Rios. from 2004 to 2007 he had 15/14/15/17. then in 2008 on he had 32/24/34.

i think philosphy had a lot to do with it. but it came from jp not gibbons. one of the reasons i feel AA hired gibby was because he want more control. AA just constructed this team to run so that is going to happen.

FlakeyFool
11-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Hot head colby rasmus vs hot head gibbons

TheRazorboy
11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I suppose it's too early to ask if the ship is sinking.

Teufelshunde4
11-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I met John Gibbons back in 2006 at Fenway park. No manager in the game packs bigger in game lips than him.

It will be nice to have a more strict manager to keep everyone disciplined.

Colby dont dig on that disciplined thing.. Only his daddy has the right to do that...:)

LanceUpperCut
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I like the move a hard *** coach who will keep Lawrie in line. There really wasn't many candidates out there.

mtf
11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
I suppose it's too early to ask if the ship is sinking.

Probably, it hasn't even set sail.

Pinstripe pride
11-20-2012, 09:47 AM
sounds to me like they shouldnt have fired him in the first place if he's back already. i remeber him actually being good for the jays too.

TheRazorboy
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
sounds to me like they shouldnt have fired him in the first place if he's back already. i remeber him actually being good for the jays too.

He had an okay record with some terrible teams, but he rubs practically everyone he has prolonged interaction with the wrong way. I guess we shall see.

Kelly Gruber
11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I like it. Always liked Gibbons. He's an old school guy that is not afraid to stick up for his team. Yes, he will get into altercations, but those were over-blown. He was right to challenge Lilly and Hillenbrand, and when all was said and done, it was fine.

Could be a bit of fireworks between him and Lawrie, but I'm betting they get along famously personally. They have similar personalities.

LanceUpperCut
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
He had an okay record with some terrible teams, but he rubs practically everyone he has prolonged interaction with the wrong way. I guess we shall see.

He rubbed Hillabrand and Lilly the wrong way and both deserved it. Lilly had nothing but good things to say about Gibby after and Shea was a complete douche bag who ended up butting heads with LA's management before being waived and out of MLB for ever.

I love the fact my manage isn't going to be a ***** like Farrell and stand up for his organization.

Kelly Gruber
11-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I love the fact my manage isn't going to be a ***** like Farrell and stand up for his organization.

Yeah hopefully for the Red Sox Farrell's mind was in Boston and he just didn't care about the Blue Jays, because I've never seen a more chicken **** manager in my life.

Stress
11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
AA is a ninja. I never seen Gibbons' name mentioned anywhere as a candidate.
I like the move. He wants to be here and keep his players accountable. I never appreciated Gibbons until I saw Farrel manage. He's a decent in-game manager and has a good read on his players.

Leandres_sf
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
The Jays sure do like their re-hires. I hope it works out, I like seeing teams other than the Yankees and Red Sox succeed.

Nomar
11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
AA is a ninja. I never seen Gibbons' name mentioned anywhere as a candidate.
I like the move. He wants to be here and keep his players accountable. I never appreciated Gibbons until I saw Farrel manage. He's a decent in-game manager and has a good read on his players.

Yeah it's been a while since ive heard him even as a possibility. Pretty cool though. He's a badass.

dballss
11-20-2012, 04:32 PM
a hard nosed tough guy, hes a badass for sure, with lawrie and rasmus theres gonna be some yelling on that bench for sure

Kelly Gruber
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Rasmus probably will butt heads with him, but Lawrie will likely get along famously with Gibby. They're cut from the same cloth, hopefully Gibbon's experience can rub off on young Lawrie. Rasmus is brooding, fickle and hard to deal with. I could see some trouble there. Lawrie will just do whatever it takes to win and stand up for himself and his teammates. He's loyal and a fierce competitor, just like Gibbons.

Vampirate
11-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Rasmus probably will butt heads with him, but Lawrie will likely get along famously with Gibby. They're cut from the same cloth, hopefully Gibbon's experience can rub off on young Lawrie. Rasmus is brooding, fickle and hard to deal with. I could see some trouble there. Lawrie will just do whatever it takes to win and stand up for himself and his teammates. He's loyal and a fierce competitor, just like Gibbons.

That's if Ramsus is on the team on opening day.

2009mvp
11-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Don't you feel the least bit uncomfortable making such giant assumptions about a dude you've never met? Yikes.

todu82
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Bit of a questionable move here for Toronto. Figured they would have brought in Mike Hargrove or Sandy Alomar Jr. as manager.

R. Johnson#3
11-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Sweet... more at bats!

It's funny because that's probably the way Gibby looks at it.

mtf
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
It's funny because that's probably the way Gibby looks at it.

I didn't think this was a great hire either, although there was no possible great hire out there, but you're whining in every thread with sarcastic comments. How long until you get over it?

R. Johnson#3
11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I didn't think this was a great hire either, although there was no possible great hire out there, but you're whining in every thread with sarcastic comments. How long until you get over it?

When Gibby is gone I'll be happy. He's a brutal manager who can't use a bullpen properly and will dish out 162 different batting orders over the course of a season.

Farsight
11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
When Gibby is gone I'll be happy. He's a brutal manager who can't use a bullpen properly and will dish out 162 different batting orders over the course of a season. Bullpen rank by ERA when Gibbons was here

2005 - 11
2006 - 11
2007 - 3rd
2008 - 1st

I dont really get this misconception that exist. He was pretty good at handling a bullpen. Most of ours were makeshift (what i mean by this players who were not well known or sought after). The only big bullpen arm acquired was BJ Ryan, the others came into there own in Toronto. You have to give the guy more credit than you are giving him.

R. Johnson#3
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Bullpen rank by ERA when Gibbons was here

2005 - 11
2006 - 11
2007 - 3rd
2008 - 1st

I dont really get this misconception that exist. He was pretty good at handling a bullpen. Most of ours were makeshift (what i mean by this players who were not well known or sought after). The only big bullpen arm acquired was BJ Ryan, the others came into there own in Toronto. You have to give the guy more credit than you are giving him.

He had all the arms he needed. He mismanaged the hell out of the bullpen though. There's a reason why we had the #1 bullpen in 2008. It's because he left.

torontosports10
11-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Your talking out of your *** now. Cito sure as **** didn't help the pen, that's for sure. You hate the hire. We get it. Move on. And if he is successful, or a failure you can either eat your words, or say I told you so.

Who would you have hired instead, because honestly, the available candidates suck.

Teufelshunde4
11-21-2012, 06:47 AM
That's if Ramsus is on the team on opening day.

Its a shame such a talented player cant pull his head out...

Jays fans..... Who was the Blue Jays manager who fabricated a military record on his resume? For the life of me I cant think of the guy...

R. Johnson#3
11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Your talking out of your *** now. Cito sure as **** didn't help the pen, that's for sure. You hate the hire. We get it. Move on. And if he is successful, or a failure you can either eat your words, or say I told you so.

Who would you have hired instead, because honestly, the available candidates suck.

I do hate the hire and for good reason. For the record Cito does manage a bullpen much better than Gibby......when he finally decides to go to the bullpen that is. I really hope Gibby has changed his ways and can keep a steady batting order and find a way to not use every bullpen pitcher every night.

Yahweh
11-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Its a shame such a talented player cant pull his head out...

Jays fans..... Who was the Blue Jays manager who fabricated a military record on his resume? For the life of me I cant think of the guy...

Tim Johnson

Rakalaz
11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I like Gibby. Good signing

Farsight
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
He had all the arms he needed. He mismanaged the hell out of the bullpen though. There's a reason why we had the #1 bullpen in 2008. It's because he left. And the season before that? You cant dismiss half of the season he managed. Other than BJ Ryan i cant think of any highly regarded relief pitchers during his tenure (Downs became a well known pitcher in Toronto after relatively little success). Most people on the Jays forum would argue that he is relatively good at managing the bullpen. Even AA recognized it in the press conference as one of his greatest strengths.

FlakeyFool
11-21-2012, 10:23 AM
When Gibby is gone I'll be happy. He's a brutal manager who can't use a bullpen properly and will dish out 162 different batting orders over the course of a season.

Its funny you keep rehashing this "hes horrible with the bullpen!" when you get disproven every thread

Bigred91
11-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I always remembered Gibby as a decisive manager when it came to using his bullpen. I got frustrated with the starting of bench players in what I perceived to be overuse of the bench. But I like the signing after digesting it. As was mentioned in here before, there were really no candidates that were more enticing than Gibbons and he is a known entity.

Kelly Gruber
11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
He had all the arms he needed. He mismanaged the hell out of the bullpen though. There's a reason why we had the #1 bullpen in 2008. It's because he left.

Downs, Frasor and Janssen all blossomed under Gibbons and BJ Ryan said he could only remember warming up and not coming into the game once all season. The facts don't support your hypothesis.

Korac
11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Apparently he was called in to interview for the bench boss job and AA and co. gave it some thought and realized he all the qualities thy were looking for in their new manager.

Definitely not a safe signing though, and AA has put his neck on the line somewhat for it, but he seems sure that he made the right choice this time.

StayOnBoard
11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I do hate the hire and for good reason. For the record Cito does manage a bullpen much better than Gibby......when he finally decides to go to the bullpen that is. I really hope Gibby has changed his ways and can keep a steady batting order and find a way to not use every bullpen pitcher every night.

So, you like to ignore stats and only use them when they benefit you?

You do realize you're proven wrong in every single post right?

You can hate the hire, that's fine... just don't cheer for the Jays until Gibby leaves, that's completely within your right as a fan.