PDA

View Full Version : Happy 8th anniversary, NBA!

knicks=love
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
8 years ago today, the worst brawl in NBA history occurred in Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills.

With less than a minute left in the game, a fight broke out between players on the court. After the fight was broken up, a drink was thrown from the stands at then Pacers player Ron Artest while he was lying on the scorer's table. Artest then entered the crowd and sparked a massive brawl between players and fans.

The repercussions led to nine players being suspended without pay for a total of 146 games, which led to $11 million in salary being lost by the players. Five players were also charged with assault, and eventually sentenced to a year of probation and community service. Five fans also faced criminal charges and were banned from attending Pistons home games for life. The fight also led the NBA to increase security presence between players and fans, and to limit the sale of alcohol.

Suspensions:

Ron Artest* - Pacers - Remainder of the season (86 games; 73 regular season and 13 playoff) - Fined $4,995,000

Stephen Jackson* - Pacers - 30 games - Fined $1,700,000

Jermaine O'Neal* Pacers - 15 games (originally 25 games, reduced on appeal) - Fined $4,111,000

Ben Wallace - Pistons - 6 games - Fined $400,000

Anthony Johnson* - Pacers - 5 games - Fined $122,222

Reggie Miller - Pacers - 1 game - Fined $61,111

Chauncey Billups - Pistons - 1 game - Fined $60,611

Derrick Coleman - Pistons - 1 game - Fined $50,000

Elden Campbell - Pistons - 1 game - Fined $48,888

David Harrison* - Pacers - None - None

* indicate players who faced legal consequences; they all received similar sentences:
One year probation
$250 fine
Community service
(60 hours for Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal; 100 hours for Johnson; quantity unpublicized for Harrison)
Anger management therapy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Av4vlJBpQ

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
The day when the league turned soft, the NBA Cares thing started getting implemented, and the NBA media world became one Politically correct load of crap! :clap:

SteBO
11-19-2012, 09:29 PM
The day when the league turned soft, the NBA Cares thing started getting implemented, and the NBA media world became one Politically correct load of crap! :clap:
:laugh2: Haha.

Ebbs
11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I still sadly love malice at the palace

knicks=love
11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
there's days where i'll just search nba fights on youtube and it actually puts me in a better mood. i hate this ***** **** they call the NBA today.

KingPosey
11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I always felt bad for Artest because it would be really hard not to flip out in that circumstance. He just should have made sure he found the guy that actually did it.

knicks=love
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I always felt bad for Artest because it would be really hard not to flip out in that circumstance. He just should have made sure he found the guy that actually did it.

he's like really good friends with the guy that threw the beer at him now :laugh2:

Gators123
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
I still wish Artest would have tried to fight Big Ben. Wallace would have killed him.

Tmath
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Holy ****! was it really that long ago?

I remember I was at a friends house, we were watching the game, we stopped watching because the game was basically over, we went in his room to smoke some weed, then his mom comes in a minute later and tells us what was happening. :laugh2:

Gram
11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
That was seriously one a the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm sorry if that sounds bad.

Gators123
11-19-2012, 09:53 PM
"And somebodys beating up Freddy!" :laugh2:

He was talking about Ben Wallaces brother beating up Fred Jones

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/09/brawl_wideweb__430x287.jpg

Cal827
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
One of the best moments in NBA history. :D

DoMeFavors
11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
There arent rivalries anymore most of the players are friends and if they is a fight players just start yelling at each other while being held back by the refs. But most sports are like that also, in baseball pitchers used to throw beanballs at players.

knicks=love
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
There arent rivalries anymore most of the players are friends and if they is a fight players just start yelling at each other while being held back by the refs. But most sports are like that also, in baseball pitchers used to throw beanballs at players.

:eyebrow: used to? it happens every year..

SportsFanatic10
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
it was definitely fun to watch lol.

JNA17
11-19-2012, 10:16 PM
there's days where i'll just search nba fights on youtube and it actually puts me in a better mood. i hate this ***** **** they call the NBA today.

As bad as that Palace event was, I agree.

The NBA has got to get it together and call fouls that are...actually fouls lol. Get rid of this hand check bs and guys barley touching another and called a foul. And then when a player collides with one another, the refs go "AUTOMATIC TECH, FLAGRANT AFTER REVIEW!".

And the worst part is, annoucers like Mike Breen eat it all up. *Good foul, not hard but not soft either* "OH MY GOD! WHAT A HIT BY (insert player)! THAT'S GOT TO BE A TECHNICAL!". :facepalm: Then Jeff Van Gundy just laughs at him for being such a tool.

Knicks21
11-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Nice one Detroit...

#Shumpert Up
11-19-2012, 10:41 PM
As bad as that Palace event was, I agree.

The NBA has got to get it together and call fouls that are...actually fouls lol. Get rid of this hand check bs and guys barley touching another and called a foul. And then when a player collides with one another, the refs go "AUTOMATIC TECH, FLAGRANT AFTER REVIEW!".

And the worst part is, annoucers like Mike Breen eat it all up. *Good foul, not hard but not soft either* "OH MY GOD! WHAT A HIT BY (insert player)! THAT'S GOT TO BE A TECHNICAL!". :facepalm: Then Jeff Van Gundy just laughs at him for being such a tool.

Hate Mike Breen. Makes me so angry. Wish the knicks would get rid of him :mad: