PDA

View Full Version : Power Rankings Week 3: Grizzlies new No. 1

29$JerZ
11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Monday, November 19

We haven't seen a team mow through three straight opponents sporting winning percentages of .750 or better, as the Memphis Grizzlies just did, since the opening month of the 2000-01 season.

And we've never seen the Grizzlies sporting the league's best record this deep into an NBA season.

Two big reasons why you suddenly see the Grizzlies atop ESPN.com's weekly NBA Power Rankings.

The Grizz were already off to a fine start, but consecutive wins last week on the road in Oklahoma City and at home against New York -- after the previous Sunday's dismantling of Miami -- ensured that Memphis made the four-spot jump from No. 5 to No. 1.

The Knicks retained the No. 2 slot largely on the strength of their big comeback at San Antonio when the Spurs were still carrying the No. 1 overall ranking. San Antonio and Miami, meanwhile, are down to No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, thanks not only to Memphis' jump but the rise of the surging Los Angeles Clippers to No. 3. (The Grizzlies, for the record, are the first team since Cleveland in November 2000 to beat three straight .750-or-better teams, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.)

The rankings are compiled with ever-helpful dishing from ESPN Stats & Info and the Elias Sports Bureau. Click here to rank the teams yourself.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/3

Memphis is legit. Very impressed with them.

douglas
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I think they ranked the Memphis Grizzlies number one because they won a lot of games and lost a little bit of games in comparison to other teams in the league.

LongIslandIcedZ
11-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Looks about right.

That Memphis front court is very strong.

kyubi256
11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Glad the Knicks are #2. Good bounce back win against Indiana.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Memphis, Milwaukee, and Charlotte have been most impressive to start the season. BJ is ****ing killing it right now.

black1605
11-19-2012, 03:33 PM
It's awesome to see the Bobcats getting some love. Hopefully Henderson can come back strong.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Wolves about where they should be, despite a winning record. Pekovic will be back Wed, but Barea, and Roy are still out, with Love another 12-13 days, Rubio a month, and Budinger 3 months or so.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Wolves about where they should be, despite a winning record. Pekovic will be back Wed, but Barea, and Roy are still out, with Love another 12-13 days, Rubio a month, and Budinger 3 months or so.

God damn, that's so many injuries. Luckily Ridnour is playing out of his mind.

kdspurman
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Memphis looks impressive thus far.

nickdymez
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM

I didnt even realize the wolves were so beat up by injuries until the other night. Tough for them because i thought they have a shot at a playoff spot this year

Gram
11-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Gramphis Gramzzlies.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2012, 03:44 PM

I have never seen a team so depleted, top heavy. 4 starters and the top 2 bench players. Whatever.

29$JerZ
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM

I feel your pain bro.
Just be glad this occurs when the season starts and not when you are in the playoffs. Seeing Baron and Iman basically break their knees was devastating.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I didnt even realize the wolves were so beat up by injuries until the other night. Tough for them because i thought they have a shot at a playoff spot this year

well, Pek is back shortly. Love in less than 2 weeks, and we had/have a cream puff opening schedule to start the season, meaning I think we can tread water until Love, and then Rubio get back, with Barea back in a week or so. Playoffs still a very real scenario for us. Kirilenko is playing great, Ridnour not bad, Cunningham and Shved are very solid players already. We will see what happens. Hell, we don't even see you guys, or the Heat, Spurs, and many other top dogs until Jan. By then, Rubio is back and will have played 5-8 games or so.

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Lebron and durant won players of the week.

thats 2 in a row for lebron, on his way to MVP again

Hawkeye15
11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I feel your pain bro.
Just be glad this occurs when the season starts and not when you are in the playoffs. Seeing Baron and Iman basically break their knees was devastating.

For sure. Rather it to begin the year, with our easy schedule. We can make a huge push the last 3 months if we stay healthy once we get there.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
I have never seen a team so depleted, top heavy. 4 starters and the top 2 bench players. Whatever.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I knew they were banged up, but not like that.

KD is right there with him though!

Baller1
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
For sure. Rather it to begin the year, with our easy schedule. We can make a huge push the last 3 months if we stay healthy once we get there.

I still think he guys grab a playoff spot this year.

Guppyfighter
11-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Jazz moved up three spots?

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I knew they were banged up, but not like that.

KD is right there with him though!

i think harden won last week

Baller1
11-19-2012, 04:07 PM
i think harden won last week

I meant as far as getting MVP this season.

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I meant as far as getting MVP this season.

yep. it will be close between bron, durant, and cp3

RLundi
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Add Kobe to that list. It's only a matter of time before LA starts winning consistently (may have already started) and Kobe is on an absolute tear. If he can keep up his hot shooting and efficiency, he definitely should be in the discussion.

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Add Kobe to that list. It's only a matter of time before LA starts winning consistently (may have already started) and Kobe is on an absolute tear. If he can keep up his hot shooting and efficiency, he definitely should be in the discussion.

MVP race is between bron, durant and cp3.

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM

Didn't know you had an MVP vote this year...

Munkeysuit
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Not a Grizz fan but they deserve it! congrats for making it to the top...

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM

It doesn't take a fortune teller to figure out it's a 3 man race between brin, durant, and cp3. Kobe has more all star help than any team and the lakers probably wont finish ahead of the clippers or OKC.

3 man race and kobe is not in it.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM

:laugh2:

RLundi
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
It doesn't take a fortune teller to figure out it's a 3 man race between brin, durant, and cp3. Kobe has more all star help than any team and the lakers probably wont finish ahead of the clippers or OKC.

Lol! Congratulations, he's done it!! Absolute hypocrisy at its finest!! :win:

Kobe has all-star but LeBron doesn't?? And CP3 doesn't have an absolute STACKED team??

Lol terrible, even for you.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Lol! Absolute hypocrisy at its finest!! Kobe has all-star but LeBron doesn't and CP3 doesn't have an absolute STACKED team??

:laugh2:

Baller1
11-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Lol! Absolute hypocrisy at its finest!! Kobe has all-star but LeBron doesn't and CP3 doesn't have an absolute STACKED team??

Kobe isn't Lebron. When Kobe starts putting up Lebron numbers consistently, then he'll be allowed to win MVP with all that talent on his team.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:47 PM

:facepalm:

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Lol! Congratulations, he's done it!! Absolute hypocrisy at its finest!! :win:

Kobe has all-star but LeBron doesn't?? And CP3 doesn't have an absolute STACKED team??

The point i was making was kobe has 3 other all stars on his team and the lakers probably wont finish ahead OKC and the clippers, maybe not even the grizzlies either. Seeding plays a role too.

Looks like you went to the lakers with Dwight :)

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM

nash, pau and dwight=3 all stars

bosh, wade=2 all stars

blake griffin=1 all star

i know math is hard for some people but come on bro, this is simple addition.

MVP race is

Lebron

Durant
CP3

doesn't matter.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM

nash, pau and dwight=3 all stars

bosh, wade=2 all stars

blake griffin=1 all star

i know math is hard for some people but come on bro, this is simple addition.

How many games has he played since you're good in math? :facepalm: And aren't you the one who said he's going to have an injury riddled season and is tissue?

Btw besides those guys, the rest of the lakers suck. You guys still have ray Allen, Lewis, The important Chalmers lmao and Battier. Take the homer shades off kid!

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
How many games has he played since you're good in math? :facepalm: And aren't you the one who said he's going to have an injury riddled season and is tissue?

Btw besides those guys, the rest of the lakers suck. You guys still have ray Allen, Lewis, The important Chalmers lmao and Battier. Take the homer shades off kid!
I will make it simple so you can understand it.
Lebron

Durant
CP3

no one else matters.

:)

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Lebron

Durant
CP3

no one else matters.

If you say so kid :)

How many games has Nash played math wiz? How many games do you think he will play for the rest of the season? How many games do you think he will be affective in?

Sota4Ever
11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
The prophet has spoken. We must listen and learn :worthy:

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
The point i was making was kobe has 3 other all stars on his team and the lakers probably wont finish ahead OKC and the clippers, maybe not even the grizzlies either. Seeding plays a role too.

Lol and you're going by 12% of the season being played judging that OKC, clippers and grizz will finish ahead of the Lakers?

Dont know how you can say Kobe cant win it because Kobe has 3 other all stars on his team... Especially as a heat fan.

Gasol Wade
Howard Bosh
Nash Allen

How does that take Kobe out of the MVP race with the numbers hes putting up?

BklynKnicks3
11-19-2012, 04:58 PM

melo got robbed the first week knicks where undefEATED AND HE LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
If you say so kid :)

How many games has Nash played math wiz? How many games do you think he will play for the rest of the season? How many games do you think he will be affective in?

When he does play he will be pretty effective, especially in a dantoni system. Thought you would know that.

justinnum1
melo got robbed the first week knicks where undefEATED AND HE LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING

overrated.

Lol and you're going by 12% of the season being played judging that OKC, clippers and grizz will finish ahead of the Lakers?

Dont know how you can say Kobe cant win it because Kobe has 3 other all stars on his team... Especially as a heat fan.

Gasol Wade
Howard Bosh
Nash Allen

Using allen as an example is laughable. he hasn't been an all star in years. And he plays back up minutes, not starters minutes like la's guys.

RLundi
Kobe isn't Lebron. When Kobe starts putting up Lebron numbers consistently, then he'll be allowed to win MVP with all that talent on his team.

To say Kobe won't be in the discussion is completely asinine. If Kobe maintains his efficiency anywhere near this level, he'll be right there with LeBron at the end. His usage is his lowest since 2004 yet his production has never looked better. Idk if he'll keep this torrid pace but if he's near it, he absolutely will be in the discussion.

GiantsSwaGG

Gasol Wade
Howard Bosh
Nash Allen

That the key to the while argument and why he shouldn't be taking seriously!

bluefire7002
Lebron

Durant
CP3

no one else matters.

I feel bad for the NON homer Heat fans

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM
When he does play he will be pretty effective, especially in a dantoni system. Thought you would know that.

He's battling a leg injury that would plague him thru out the season, if yea he doesn't have shooter around him to make the system work. Thought you would know that.

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Anyone who thinks nash and allen will have the same impact on the court should not be taken seriously with anything they say.

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:01 PM
To say Kobe won't be in the discussion is completely asinine. If Kobe maintains his efficiency anywhere near this level, he'll be right there with LeBron at the end. His usage is his lowest since 2004 yet his production has never looked better. Idk if he'll keep this torrid pace but if he's near it, he absolutely will be in the discussion.

You know Kobe is putting up legit numbers when its coming from non Laker fans..
I do agree with this.

It is true that Seeding plays a role, but to say this early in the season Lakers won't finish ahead of so and so teams is ridiculous.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM

Lol

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Anyone who thinks nash and allen will have the same impact on the court should not be taken seriously with anything they say.

so according to you're statement...wouldn't that leave the Lakers with only 2 other all stars?? Im not a math major, but im estimating here..

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
He's battling a calf injury that would plague him thru out the season, if yea he doesn't have shooter around him to make the system work. Thought you would know that.

He is still going to have a bigger impact on the game than allen, thats not even debatable. Nash's injury concerns will be part of the reason the lakers wont be winning a ring anytime soon. He will still put up great numbers on the court. If you want to disagree, cool stuff.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:05 PM
so according to you're statement...wouldn't that leave the Lakers with only 2 other all stars?? Im not a math major, but im estimating here..

:laugh: I thought I was the only one that saw that

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
He is still going to have a bigger impact on the game than allen, thats not even debatable. Nash's injury concerns will be part of the reason the lakers wont be winning a ring anytime soon. He will still put up great numbers on the court. If you want to disagree, cool stuff.

I'm not saying Allen would have a bigger role than Nash, but Nash being the reason Kobe won't win an MVP is stupid. That's what you seem not to get.

RLundi
11-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Lol nice cheap shot- people tend to do that when their backs are against the wall and their argument is clearly flawed :)

My views towards the Lakers aside (and they aren't great) I don't let bias cloud my judgment. It's still very early and anything can happen with the standings. Btw, who are the 3 All-Stars that Kobe is playing with? Dwight, Nash and who else? Gasol? Yes, if this were 2011. By that account, should we also add Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis to the All-Star tally? Then LeBron is playing with FOUR All-Stars! Gasp, no MVP for him!

Flawed argument, as usual.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Hurray! Only reason lebron keeps getting these awards regularly is because all the good competition is in the west either every star on the east is old and declining or injured , don't get me wrong lebron would still get a lot of players of the week but not as regularly...

GiantsSwaGG
Lol nice cheap shot- people tend to do that when their backs are against the wall and their argument is clearly flawed :)

My views towards the Lakers aside (and they aren't great) I don't let bias cloud my judgment. It's still very early and anything can happen with the standings. Btw, who are the 3 All-Stars that Kobe is playing with? Dwight, Nash and who else? Gasol? Yes, if this were 2011. By that account, should we also add Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis to the All-Star tally? Then LeBron is playing with FOUR All-Stars! Gasp, no MVP for him!

Flawed argument, as usual.

Lmao

justinnum1
I'm not saying Allen would have a bigger role than Nash, but Nash being the reason Kobe won't win an MVP is stupid. That's what you seem not to get.

Try and keep up, this isn't very hard.

Show me where i said nash is the exact reason kobe will not win mvp.

i said the reason is going to be LA's record(seeding) with who is on the team

Keep up kid.

29$JerZ
Last I checked there was a MVP candidate from the 7-1 Knicks in Melo, Kobe still exist, and Memphis has Zach.

It's far from a 3 player race.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Hurray! Only reason lebron keeps getting these awards regularly is because all the good competition is in the west either every star on the east is old and declining or injured , don't get me wrong lebron would still get a lot of players of the week but not as regularly...

This

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM

Keep up kid.

You said cause he's playing with 3 all stars now you're back peddling cause your argument was flawed. First of the season isn't over and the Lakers can get hot at any moment. And besides Lebron has the better team/bench.

Stop making excuses kid

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM

Love it not mentioning Kobe even though he's obviously been just as good or better then those guys to start the season

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Love it not mentioning Kobe even though he's obviously been just as good or better then those guys to start the season

He's a heat fan

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Keep up kid.

And you have been proved wrong by at least 3 other posters (who's judgement isn't impaired) regarding the lakers record.

Next.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Predicting MVP right now is impossible regardless, but in my opinion:

1. Kobe won't keep this up.
2. The Lakers are underperforming right now after a monster offseason, the same reason for Lebron not winning it his first season in Miami despite deserving it.
3. Lebron and Durant are playing better than Kobe, even with Kobe's torrid start.

Like I said, just my opinion. I don't see anyone winning the award other than Lebron, unless Durant can consistently pass the way he did last night.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Just let it go man justnimun or whatever his name is hates Kobe and the lakers he won't give them any credit...
I think these guys will be neck and neck with each other the whole year but who will move past everyone else?

Kobe
Lebron
Durant
Cp3
Dwight
Melo

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Predicting MVP right now is impossible regardless, but in my opinion:

1. Kobe won't keep this up.
2. The Lakers are underperforming right now after a monster offseason, the same reason for Lebron not winning it his first season in Miami despite deserving it.
3. Lebron and Durant are playing better than Kobe, even with Kobe's torrid start.

Like I said, just my opinion. I don't see anyone winning the award other than Lebron, unless Durant can consistently pass the way he did last night.

Durant is right up there with lebron, CP3 too. After that it really doesn't matter.

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Now that I really look at the standings.. by you saying it's unlikely Lakers will finish ahead of other teams (because of their current record), wouldn't that mean it's unlikely for the Heat to finish ahead of the Knicks?

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Gtfo so lebron didn't have the most star studded line up last year so there for he shouldn't win? Your case is laughably
Lebron has wade bosh Allen and a better bench then the lakers but Kobe has way more help? Gtfo Kobe is just as much of an MVP caliber player this year as your boy lebron

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Now that I really look at the standings.. by you saying it's unlikely Lakers will finish ahead of other teams (because of their current record), wouldn't that mean it's unlikely for the Heat to finish ahead of the Knicks?

The Heat are the defending champions, it's a bit different.

justinnum1
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM

That's possible. The bulls finished ahead of Miami last year. The west is a lot deeper than the East. Lakers might be fighting for the 4th seed.

richiesaurus310
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
The Clippers have beaten the Grizzlies, Spurs, Heat, and Lakers this season, and have won 5 in a row. But ok the Grizz are #1...

29$JerZ
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
The Clippers have beaten the Grizzlies, Spurs, Heat, and Lakers this season, and have won 5 in a row. But ok the Grizz are #1...

I noticed that too. I guess giving the Knicks their only loss gave them the spot :shrug:

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Gtfo so lebron didn't have the most star studded line up last year so there for he shouldn't win? Your case is laughably
Lebron has wade bosh Allen and a better bench then the lakers but Kobe has way more help? Gtfo Kobe is just as much of an MVP caliber player this year as your boy lebron

Again, Lebron was historically good last year. With a **** roster, Lebron was unstoppable. With a stacked roster, Lebron is unstoppable.

The players surrounding Lebron are irrelevant at this point, statistically speaking. He's that good.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM

It's possible

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM

They beat the lakers with mike brown total difference but yes the clippers should be top 3 in the PR

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
The Heat are the defending champions, it's a bit different.

That is true... The second the first game of this season started, completely throws them being champs out the window though (in regards to the way they will finish this year)... Unless being defending champs randomly give you a 5+ win head start.

Devster3
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM

How do I just thumbs up this?

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
That is true... The second the first game of this season started, completely throws them being champs out the window though (in regards to the way they will finish this year)... Unless being defending champs randomly give you a 5+ win head start.

You know what I meant...

We've all season what this Heat team can do (win championships). We haven't seen whether or not this newly assembled Laker team can perform consistently. Comparing the two is an insult to Miami.

richiesaurus310
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
They beat the lakers with mike brown total difference but yes the clippers should be top 3 in the PR

Agreed. We still beat the Heat, Spurs, and Grizzlies though.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
How do I just thumbs up this?

:up:

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Agreed. We still beat the Heat, Spurs, and Grizzlies though.

Yeah the clippers are legit

BSplaya2121
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM

and Kurt Thomas's cross eyes......KURT FOR PREZ!

Blitzbolt
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
The Grizzlies are 0 and 12 in opening games.

They Lost the opener in LA vs the Clipps and Crawford shot 69%.

Also the Clipps beat the Heat Spurs and Grizzlies all at home.While the Grizzlies got a win in OKC and vs the Bucks on the road.

You add that +the lost to the warriors and Cavs(Clippers) its pretty hard to put the clippers ahead of Memphis.

Hawkeye15
11-19-2012, 05:46 PM
this turned into an MVP discussion, over 72 games left in the season?

God this forum is a joke sometimes.

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM
this turned into an MVP discussion, over 72 games left in the season?

God this forum is a joke sometimes.

LMAO I just noticed that when I clicked on this tab on my browser.

NYYCowboys
11-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Those don't exist silly.

richiesaurus310
11-19-2012, 06:02 PM
The Grizzlies are 0 and 12 in opening games.

They Lost the opener in LA vs the Clipps and Crawford shot 69%.

Also the Clipps beat the Heat Spurs and Grizzlies all at home.While the Grizzlies got a win in OKC and vs the Bucks on the road.

You add that +the lost to the warriors and Cavs(Clippers) its pretty hard to put the clippers ahead of Memphis.

Meh I guess it's whatever, this isn't the BCS so ranking means nothing anyways.