PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't OKC developing Jeremy Lamb???

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Okay so it's pretty well known that for financial reasons Kevin Martin is a 1 year rental. Whole reason of lowballing Harden was to avoid luxury tax and if they sign Martin for even let's say 6-8 mill, they are in it. With Martin's play this year I know for a fact multiple bad teams will offer dude 12-13 mill over 3 or 4 years and OKC will not be able to offer the same.

So now that we have established Martin isn't taking a 30-50 percent paycut to stay in a city like OKC let me get to my point. Why is Jeremy Lamb their SG of the future (at least that was the idea with the trade) playing 3 minutes a game? This dude needs to be getting 15-20 minutes a game if they want to groom him into the starting SG next year.

OKC won't have any high draft picks, won't have cap to play in free agency and Kevin Martin is unrestricted so they can't simply match a big offer he will get.

Blitzace137
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I think it's difficult for OKC to find him time since their contenders. I was really excited to see him play this year. Houston would have been a great situation for him to develop.

2-ONE-5
11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
they are a contending team with no room for him right now. And there is no way MArtin gets 4 years 13 mil at the age of 32

Baller1
11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Okay so it's pretty well known that for financial reasons Kevin Martin is a 1 year rental. Whole reason of lowballing Harden was to avoid luxury tax and if they sign Martin for even let's say 6-8 mill, they are in it. With Martin's play this year I know for a fact multiple bad teams will offer dude 12-13 mill over 3 or 4 years and OKC will not be able to offer the same.

So now that we have established Martin isn't taking a 30-50 percent paycut to stay in a city like OKC let me get to my point. Why is Jeremy Lamb their SG of the future (at least that was the idea with the trade) playing 3 minutes a game? This dude needs to be getting 15-20 minutes a game if they want to groom him into the starting SG next year.

OKC won't have any high draft picks, won't have cap to play in free agency and Kevin Martin is unrestricted so they can't simply match a big offer he will get.

Actually the way Toronto is playing, there's a solid chance OKC has a pick in the 4-8 range.

BKLYNpigeon
11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Who cares when you're winning and have KD. Lamb's time will come in blowout games and in practice. His time will come when he earns it.

OKC will groom Jeremy Lamb to be worth two 1st round picks, when they trade him.

John Walls Era
11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Theres something called practice

MintBerryCrunch
11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Theres something called practice

Practice??????????????

C_Mund
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Actually the way Toronto is playing, there's a solid chance OKC has a pick in the 4-8 range.

Yeah. It was tough reading an article saying that the OKC fans have a reason to Boo the Raps.... right before they embarrassed us on national tv for the first time in forever. Haha, insult to injury.

jericho
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Practice??????????????

you guys talking bout practice?????????????????????

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
What pick does OKC have from Toronto? I missed it. Also lol at people saying practice will be enough. Also Kevin Martin has a skill based game so even at his age yes he will get 10 mill plus. 11 or 12 mill for 3 years is his next contract IMO.

RLundi
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=we+aint+got+time+for+that&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Y3KqUOWPBYK09gTumYGIDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=444#i=2

Baller1
11-19-2012, 01:57 PM
What pick does OKC have from Toronto? I missed it. Also lol at people saying practice will be enough. Also Kevin Martin has a skill based game so even at his age yes he will get 10 mill plus. 11 or 12 mill for 3 years is his next contract IMO.

It's from Houston, they got it in the Kyle Lowry trade. It's a lottery pick, but it's top 3 protected.

waveycrockett
11-19-2012, 02:40 PM
I gotta laugh at the people who said Kevin Martin couldn't replace James Harden. He is pretty much doing exactly what it was they asked of Harden to the tee.

Swashcuff
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I gotta laugh at the people who said Kevin Martin couldn't replace James Harden. He is pretty much doing exactly what it was they asked of Harden to the tee.

He's even better than Harden was in terms of shooting from the 3 and scoring at the line. Though he isn't half as good a playmaker as Harden Westbrook's and KD's strides in that department makes it less of a necessity and as long as he continues to provide masterful spacing he really won't be needed as a playmaker.

b@llhog24
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM

He can replace his scoring, but not his overall game. I believe both sides got a good deal. Houston need a true #1 and Harden provides that for them and Kmart can provide instant offense off the bench in a the same efficient manner that Harden did. Everybody though the rule changes and being out of Adelmans system meant that Kmart was going to flop, while I expected a bounce back year. Seems I was right so far. :D

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I have a feeling OKC is going to trade Kevin Martin's expiring and Jeremy Lamb (possibly w/ PJIII) at the deadline for a big man like STAT or even Bynum (with that whole shaky situation in Philly). And then obviously, by having Ibaka + STAT or Ibaka + Bynum, OKC will probably amnesty Perk this summer.

Just have this weird feeling.

mvb815
11-19-2012, 03:33 PM

really? there are 2 sides of a basketball court

Heediot
11-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Okc needs to foster chemistry with Kmart. They also need to see if he is the right fit or they might flip.him fir another piece. They also need to find out his worth relative to their budget ad you mentioned.

Lamb is still young. There are not enough minutes to go around as Martin is doing really well. They also value sefos defense so minutes at the 2 are hard to come by.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I have a feeling OKC is going to trade Kevin Martin's expiring and Jeremy Lamb (possibly w/ PJIII) at the deadline for a big man like STAT or even Bynum (with that whole shaky situation in Philly). And then obviously, by having Ibaka + STAT or Ibaka + Bynum, OKC will probably amnesty Perk this summer.

No way they trade for Amare or Bynum, but I think you could be right about dealing for a big. I'd say a deal around Lamb/PJIII and picks might be able to land OKC someone like Millsap, Varejao, or Gortat (although I don't see Phoenix parting with Gortat).

RLundi
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Really?? I can't see them trading for either, especially considering Stat's contract. They didn't wanna pay Harden, what makes you think they'll wanna pay for a damaged-goods big man with no knees?

spreadeagle
11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Lamb has gotta be pissed, he would have been a top rookie in Hou, now he will be the Adam Morrison of OKC, warming the old bench

albertajaysfan
11-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Lamb has gotta be pissed, he would have been a top rookie in Hou, now he will be the Adam Morrison of OKC, warming the old bench

If he has half a brain he will relish the opportunity to learn from the great players he is surrounded by while being on a winning team.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Ill do the Lamb and Martin trade for STAT. THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

rubx3
11-19-2012, 04:55 PM
i have a feeling okc is going to trade kevin martin's expiring and jeremy lamb (possibly w/ pjiii) at the deadline for a big man like stat or even bynum (with that whole shaky situation in philly). And then obviously, by having ibaka + stat or ibaka + bynum, okc will probably amnesty perk this summer.

lol

rubx3
11-19-2012, 04:57 PM
If he has half a brain he will relish the opportunity to learn from the great players he is surrounded by while being on a winning team.

just like darko millicic?

Lakers4life08
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Thunders have Raptors draft pick,and raptors are garbage....so Thunders will have 4-8 pick in the draft of 2013

SINCESTARBURY25
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
The Thunder should trade us Martin and their Pick for STAT

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Thunders have Raptors draft pick,and raptors are garbage....so Thunders will have 4-8 pick in the draft of 2013

It's top 3 protected though, so there's a good chance they don't get the pick the way Toronto is playing without Lowry.

It'll largely depend on the lottery.

Bishnoff
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
No way they trade for Amare or Bynum, but I think you could be right about dealing for a big. I'd say a deal around Lamb/PJIII and picks might be able to land OKC someone like Millsap, Varejao, or Gortat (although I don't see Phoenix parting with Gortat).

If OKC wanted Gortat then Harden would be playing in Phoenix now. Phoenix tried desperately to land Harden but OKC didnít like anything Phoenix had.

I'm sure Phoenix will trade Gortat if a young star is available.

JasonJohnHorn
11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I think it has something to do with the fact that Kevin Martin is shooting .487 from the floor right now... that dude is HOT!!! And /536 from the arc? Forget about it! Martin is putting up crazy number right now.... ride him while he's hot... whe those FG% numbers come down, they can work Lamb into the rotation more, but while Martin is playing at this level, leave him on the floor. OKC are contenders. It's not like they are a lottery team hoping to develop talent to improve over the next couple seasons. They need to win now. And Martin is helping them do that. It's like the Pistons not playing Darko in his rookie season...

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
If OKC wanted Gortat then Harden would be playing in Phoenix now. Phoenix tried desperately to land Harden but OKC didnít like anything Phoenix had.

I'm sure Phoenix will trade Gortat if a young star is available.

Well you gotta think about it deeper than that... I mean, trading Harden is a lot different than trading someone like Lamb or PJIII. In other words, OKC isn't going to be interested in trading for Gortat with Harden on the line; that doesn't necessarily mean they're not interested. You know what I mean?

JasonJohnHorn
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
It's top 3 protected though, so there's a good chance they don't get the pick the way Toronto is playing without Lowry.

It'll largely depend on the lottery.

This is off topic, but have you seen the numbers Calderon is putting up while Lowry is out? TO sucking has nothing to do with the PG rotation and everything to do with the rest of the roster. Lowry doesn't make them any better than they are currently performing. Calder just handed out 18 assists with only 2 turnovers... it's not like Lowry is going to be topping that kind of performance.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:29 PM
This is off topic, but have you seen the numbers Calderon is putting up while Lowry is out? TO sucking has nothing to do with the PG rotation and everything to do with the rest of the roster. Lowry doesn't make them any better than they are currently performing. Calder just handed out 18 assists with only 2 turnovers... it's not like Lowry is going to be topping that kind of performance.

True, somewhat. Saying they wouldn't be better with Lowry just isn't true though. He's their best player, having him out of the lineup hurts the team regardless of who's replacing him.

For example, what if Lowry comes back strong soon and Calderon is still playing at the level he is now? They'd be able to flip Calderon for a position of need and then the overall talent is boosted. They're not a good team, but losing Lowry killed any hope they have regardless of Calderon's play.

Bishnoff
11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Well you gotta think about it deeper than that... I mean, trading Harden is a lot different than trading someone like Lamb or PJIII. In other words, OKC isn't going to be interested in trading for Gortat with Harden on the line; that doesn't necessarily mean they're not interested. You know what I mean?

I don't sorry. If the end result is the same, then why didn't OKC bite? If OKC wanted Gortat it would have been wiser to start the season with him and allow more time to build team chemistry.

Baller1
11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't sorry. If the end result is the same, then why didn't OKC bite? If OKC wanted Gortat it would have been wiser to start the season with him and allow more time to build team chemistry.

Why in the hell would OKC trade Harden for players not even close to his talent level? Let's keep it elementary: Say I want Lebron James and you want James Harden. Are you going to trade me Lebron James for Harden just because you want James Harden? No, you're going to get the value you deserve for Lebron, and then you can worry about acquiring Harden with players with similar value.

You're basically saying that OKC didn't want Gortat because they didn't trade Harden for him. Well, yeah... Obviously they're not going to trade Harden for a player like Gortat. They found more value in Houston, and so that's the route the took.

Bishnoff
11-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Why in the hell would OKC trade Harden for players not even close to his talent level? Let's keep it elementary: Say I want Lebron James and you want James Harden. Are you going to trade me Lebron James for Harden just because you want James Harden? No, you're going to get the value you deserve for Lebron, and then you can worry about acquiring Harden with players with similar value.

You're basically saying that OKC didn't want Gortat because they didn't trade Harden for him. Well, yeah... Obviously they're not going to trade Harden for a player like Gortat. They found more value in Houston, and so that's the route the took.

Phoenix have a tonne of picks too. I never said that it'd be a straight Gortat for Harden swap; Harden has much more worth.
If OKC really wanted Gortat then a 3rd team could have been brought in, or a host of other options/scenarios.

Trading for a better fit/team composition will always be more successful than trading for “equal” worth.

jericho
11-19-2012, 06:09 PM

He's even better than Harden was in terms of shooting from the 3 and scoring at the line. Though he isn't half as good a playmaker as Harden Westbrook's and KD's strides in that department makes it less of a necessity and as long as he continues to provide masterful spacing he really won't be needed as a playmaker.

This is what I was trying to explain to people when the trade went down it was a win win for both teams

Heediot
11-19-2012, 06:10 PM

It's not just about offense. Lowry is a better defender, rebounder, energy and hustle player.

JasonJohnHorn
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
It's not just about offense. Lowry is a better defender, rebounder, energy and hustle player.

You are correct, though Calderon did get a steal and a block last game (but I think we all know good defensive stats doesn't always equal good defense).

Still... Calderon has been palying at a very high level since he got back in the starting line-up.

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't agree at all about Harden for Martin being balanced. Martin was THE worst defender in the NBA twice in his career according to defensive efficiency/synergy last I checked. Harden is by no means good but he's slightly below average where as Martin before this year would be categorized as TERRIBLE. In fact I think I saw an article not long ago showing how his defense is so bad that it completely overrides his offensive impact at times (think it was SI).

Sure Westbrook and Durant have replaced his playmaking a bit but OKC looks nowhere near as formidable to me because Durant shouldn't be the one having to do so much playmaking. He's better off scoring 30 a night IMO.

Harden was significantly better at passing/playmaking, can create his own offense (Martin is far more dependent on screens, others creating for him). Harden is also far more explosive offensively.

Martin's only advantages IMO are offensive efficiency and slight rebounding edge. Everything else is Harden.

LJEATON26
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Thunder is going to resign K Mart, amnesty Perkins and draft Nerlens Noel with the 4th pick from Toronto.

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Thunder is going to resign K Mart, amnesty Perkins and draft Nerlens Noel with the 4th pick from Toronto.

Already passed the deadline to amnesty. They could have amnestied Perkins before and re-signed Harden :clap:

LJEATON26
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Already passed the deadline to amnesty. They could have amnestied Perkins before and re-signed Harden :clap:

Well damn! I thought they were good until the start of next season. Maybe they can get him to retire and then draft Noel.

Losoway
11-20-2012, 01:09 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: might be the worst post i ever seen in my life

Mr_Amaziing
11-20-2012, 02:06 AM

? ? ?
Seriously?

Kevin Martin has been beasting in Okc, Why would they trade him?. He'll most likely resign with us, Bcuz he finally fits into a team perfectly and is growing great chemistry with them

Clippersfan86
11-20-2012, 02:08 AM
? ? ?
Seriously?

Kevin Martin has been beasting in Okc, Why would they trade him?. He'll most likely resign with us, Bcuz he finally fits into a team perfectly and is growing great chemistry with them

Yup... he will take a 50 percent paycut because OKC is such a wonderful city and he likes his teammates!

Phenomenonsense
11-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Yup... he will take a 50 percent paycut because OKC is such a wonderful city and he likes his teammates!

OKC could offer him something he doesn't have. He already has money.

Clippersfan86
11-20-2012, 02:21 AM
OKC could offer him something he doesn't have. He already has money.

Yes because OKC is a serious free agent draw. What can OKC offer him? A chance to contend sure.. but nobody still in their prime takes a big paycut to stay with a better team. Look at what just happened with Harden/OKC. Remember all the Thunder dynasty articles last year?

tapajafri
11-20-2012, 03:24 AM
He's just a rookie and he's a project. Give him a few years.

Phenomenonsense
11-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Yes because OKC is a serious free agent draw. What can OKC offer him? A chance to contend sure.. but nobody still in their prime takes a big paycut to stay with a better team. Look at what just happened with Harden/OKC. Remember all the Thunder dynasty articles last year?

Except Harden hadn't made 10 million a year yet. I'm not saying Martin will stay. If I were in his position I would take the most money possible regardless of the team. Still, if he wants a championship, his best option would be OKC.