PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think World Peace elbowed Lin on purpose ?

Longhornfan1234
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZk2L0NMic

Should he be suspended? Thoughts?

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes it was intentional. He knew Lin was next to him SOMEWHERE so why even swing your arm if you don't intend to hit something?

DubbyDubbs
11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
definitely intentional.. it wont be looked at as such because he pretended to care after he did it. he swung his arm wildly knowing full well that lin was near him obviously because he had his hand on him.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, and???

This is the NBA. If you haven't either given or received an intentional elbow, you're just not trying hard enough. :)

Longhornfan1234
11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah, and???

This is the NBA. If you haven't either given or received an intentional elbow, you're just not trying hard enough. :)

He should be suspended. He has a history of committing thug acts.

TheNumber37
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't ca throwing Elbows in a game of basketball "Thug acts."

Iron24th
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes he did, and???

Longhornfan1234
11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes he did, and???

And...he should be suspended. He threw an intentional elbow after the play was over.

Longhornfan1234
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM

Assualt is not a thug act? The play was over.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Fined, perhaps, but not suspended. In all of the time that I've watched the NBA, throwing elbows is pretty run of the mill. Even in the WNBA you see that happen. Maybe it's an aspect of the sport that should be cleaned up, but I doubt that will happen. If Lin felt wronged, he should have retaliated or had one of his bigs send the message for him.

BHF
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
definitely 100% intentional

SeoulBeatz
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I mean, it was obviously intentional. But I don't think he should be suspended. If he landed the shot and Lin was seriously hurt, then yes, it should warrant a suspension because ron-ron has done this before.

Lakers + Giants
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
It was intentional. Not worthy of a suspension though.

John Walls Era
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
It could've been accidental, when you're in the air and then you land awkwardly, sometimes the arm just swings out. Maybe it wasn't, but his reaction afterwards saved him from getting suspended. He looked like he was actually sorry for it.

Marlin234
11-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Dirty player. Just like KG

Cromedome
11-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Lin looks soft out there. Not even a "wtf" or something?

Hustla23
11-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Lin's got a good chin.

LADanks
11-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Simulate the motion of going for a layup, then spin around on the landing, and tell me your arm doesn't naturally swing similarly to MWP's in the video...

Blitzace137
11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Ya it was intentional. I think Metta thought Lin was Harden lol.

John Walls Era
11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Lin looks soft out there. Not even a "wtf" or something?

How dare he not beat Metta WOrld Peace up when MWP was apologizing. He had to hit a man that was apologizing to show hes hard!!!!

Knickfansince97
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
yea thats mad dirty im laughin cause he does crap like this all the time needs to be suspended at least 1 game for that. He hit someone in the face.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Tell Lin it's time to subscribe to the Kobe system. Give MWP a taste of his own medicine. That will stop him from throwing elbows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypPX_MfxfG0

Or he could go all D-Fish on Artest's *** the next time. Sometimes players have to initiate a little street justice in order to clean up the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y8CzEjNVJw

Cromedome
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
How dare he not beat Metta WOrld Peace up when MWP was apologizing. He had to hit a man that was apologizing to show hes hard!!!!

Not beat, weirdo, just something along the lines like watch your damn hands.

Blitzace137
11-19-2012, 12:30 PM

He should have drop kicked him. :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
I think it's hard to say whether it was or wasn't intentional. That said, it looked like more of a forarm than an elbow.

kdspurman
11-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Tell Lin it's time to subscribe to the Kobe system. Give MWP a taste of his own medicine. That will stop him from throwing elbows.

Or he could go all D-Fish on Artest's *** the next time. Sometimes players have to initiate a little street justice in order to clean up the game.

Kobe system had Kobe backing up from him lol But he did get in a nice elbow on him. Just wanted no part of him afterwards :)

maddBat
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
dirty. lins lucky he didnt break his nose or loose n e teeth.

thenaj17
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Didn't see that when watching the game earlier, mainly because league pass was being an A S S.

This is awful and 100% deliberate. He should be suspended 1 game and not just because he has history. There's no place for this in sport.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 12:44 PM

True of both bullies and alpha males, they're always looking to establish dominance over others. One way to do this is to physically provoke a player just to test his mettle. The apology was perfunctory in keeping with the ruse and hardly sincere.

So yes, even if it was purely accidental, in a mano y mano setting, the least that Lin could have done was square off, scowl, growl, something. Lin has to show that he belongs on the same court with these blokes. The offending player's behavior won't change otherwise. And believe me, there were other bullies and alphas who will see the clip. This won't be the last time that Lin gets smacked.

MintBerryCrunch
11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Elbow? It looks like a slap to me..

John Walls Era
11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Not beat, weirdo, just something along the lines like watch your damn hands.

Then he would be a fake 'tuff' guy and god forbid half the league is already been called that...

Cromedome
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Then he would be a fake 'tuff' guy and god forbid half the league is already been called that...

Are you saying Lin doesn't have it in him to defend himself? How would he be fake for standing up to someone who smacked him in the face?

SINCESTARBURY25
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Why didnt Lin just use the KAMEHAMEHA WAVE that Master D'antoni taught him?

nickdymez
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Lin pulled him out of the air. If any of you ever played basketball at a high level, then you understand that when you commit an intentional foul, be prepared for something to happen. When your getting fouled intentionally on a fast break, you never know if your going to be hurt.

KNICKS R BACK
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM

KNICKS R BACK
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
if it was on purpose, i commend him...i like him even more now... ron from queensbridge

nickdymez
11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Kobe system had Kobe backing up from him lol But he did get in a nice elbow on him. Just wanted no part of him afterwards :)

I dont think Kobe felt it neccesary to get kicked out of the game and possibly miss the next one just for street cred.

ewing
11-19-2012, 02:03 PM

Doesn't he know Karate?

ewing
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Didn't see that when watching the game earlier, mainly because league pass was being an A S S.

This is awful and 100% deliberate. He should be suspended 1 game and not just because he has history. There's no place for this in sport.

That you Mom? Why don't you just stay in the kitchen? Us boys are going to play some basketball

Gritz
11-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Nobody wanna squabble with him so close this thread. He's a G.

blahblahyoutoo
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
It could've been accidental, when you're in the air and then you land awkwardly, sometimes the arm just swings out. Maybe it wasn't, but his reaction afterwards saved him from getting suspended. He looked like he was actually sorry for it.

You must be watching another video because he already landed and had complete balance.

The other question is where is Lin's technical/flagrant for a foul without making a play on the ball?

heyman321
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Why didnt Lin just use the KAMEHAMEHA WAVE that Master D'antoni taught him?

Lmao stereotyping at it's finest.

Htownballa1622
11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I swear you laker fans would be crying if someone even swung at yalls darling kobe.

Mikeleafs
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
A) It was intentional

B) It was a backhanded slap NOT an elbow

RLundi
11-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Lol Lakers and their cheap shots.

Scola is a G, practically took on the whole Lakers team on his own.

bluefire7002
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
A) It was intentional

B) It was a backhanded slap NOT an elbow

" So I reached back... and slapped the ***"

-MWP

sep11ie
11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
I guess Artest deserves the benefit of the doubt since he has such a clean NBA history.

LAKERMANIA
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM

This is exactly how my grandfather sounds when he talks about rappers

torocan
11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
It's either intentional, or MWP has the WORST body control.

Given MWP is HUGE, I find it hard to believe that Lin wrapping him up was sufficient to send MWP spinning out of control.

And even if you DID believe MWP was spinning out of control due to the momentum, his arm swung UPWARD during the spin to face level. If the arm had stayed DOWN during the spin, I would find it ALOT easier to believe it was an accident.

My opinion is that the hit was intentional, BUT he did NOT know it was Lin that he was hitting. MWP has stated numerous times that He and his family are big Lin fans. When he realized he had clocked Lin, I believe that's why he looked so shocked -- not that he had clocked someone, but that it was Lin.

Remember, after clocking Harden last season he was preening up and down the court like a peacock.

Is part of that some bias on my part as a reputation tech? Possibly. However, just because you're spinning out of control does NOT mean you have No responsibility for your body. Letting your arms flail and rise to Head level is either intentional, or an inexcusable lack of body control of a long time veteran like MWP.

Either one should result in a flagrant and possibly a 1 game suspension.

DoMeFavors
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Was Lin crying? and Artest's elbows move a lot when Hardens around

310Casper
11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
You could argue that the momentum from being swung in the air caused his arm to flail in anticipation of falling.

But since its Artest, with his history, its intentional. He's made a living off being 'dangerous' and 'wild' in the NBA as his intimidation tactic.

Im a laker fan by the way. I hated him as a non-laker, love him as a laker.
Just the same way Boston fans love KG, all other fans hate him.

If Artest is suspended, I'll understand. If he's not, same.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
This is exactly how my grandfather sounds when he talks about rappers

:laugh2:

topdog
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM

^This. Between MWP's reputation and that Houston commentator, people are going to assume it's intentional even if it wasn't.

jaydubb
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
At first look, I thought it was intentional, (of course, it's ron artest we are talking about regardless of what he changed his name to) but then I watched it again and I noticed that his body was already twisting around that direction and it would be just natural for his arm to move that way. His arm was already up because he was concentrating on trying to get the shot off, If he wasn't trying to get the shot off, I would think It'd be intentional.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Fined, perhaps, but not suspended. In all of the time that I've watched the NBA, throwing elbows is pretty run of the mill. Even in the WNBA you see that happen. Maybe it's an aspect of the sport that should be cleaned up, but I doubt that will happen. If Lin felt wronged, he should have retaliated or had one of his bigs send the message for him.

Throwing intentional elbows to injure someone isn't part of the game.

heyman321
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Thug Lyfe

pacofunk64
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Metta was and always will be trash. He can fake nice all he wants but we all know this is one shady bro.

ewmania
11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
look like it was on purpose lol

haha @ the color commentator .. like calm down lol

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Are you saying Lin doesn't have it in him to defend himself? How would he be fake for standing up to someone who smacked him in the face?

Lin isn't a thug is where he's trying to get at. He's not about that life!

JEDean89
11-19-2012, 04:06 PM
the league will be better off when this piece of **** is retired

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Lin isn't a thug is where he's trying to get at. He's not about that life!

lmao did you really quote me on that. Dude, I was mocking that comment that someone made about Pierce coming to the Clippers and they said "Come to LA Pierce, I'll suck yo dick man!" :laugh2:

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
lmao did you really quote me on that. Dude, I was mocking that comment that someone made about Pierce coming to the Clippers and they said "Come to LA Pierce, I'll suck yo dick man!" :laugh2:

I think the great Chronz said that about pierce coming to the clippers. I think he meant it too :laugh2:

Ps just needed a new sig, the DMF was getting old

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I think the great Chronz said that about pierce coming to the clippers. I think he meant it too :laugh2:

Ps just needed a new sig, the DMF was getting old

Haha sweet.

SA5195
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Probably thought he was Harden

sep11ie
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Yea, they are like twins.

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Yea, they are like twins.

@sig I can't believe tmac lost the much hops

Munkeysuit
11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
It was purposely done, but he tried to hide it. Don't tell me that he never knew Lin was behind him, of course he knew!

kobes2good
11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
you guys are stupid obviously none of you play basketball or else you would understand how it was obviously not intentional

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
you guys are stupid obviously none of you play basketball or else you would understand how it was obviously not intentional

:facepalm:

Chacarron
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk6ygMpMr1qb647mo3_250.gif

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 04:31 PM
To me it wasn't intentional he immediately said sorry to Lin and we all know Ron don't ever say sorry when he throws a punch or elbow at someone

MinnesotaFtw
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow. Definitely should be fined for that. That was messed up.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
People who thinkMWP should be suspended must be soft

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Throwing intentional elbows to injure someone isn't part of the game.

I'm an old timer and I can assure you whether it's "part of the game" or not, it's happened plenty in all of my years of watching the NBA. Not just elbows, but clotheslines, tripping, punches, eye pokes, jabs, etc., etc. The perception that this game is tea and crumpets is an illusion. :D

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 04:35 PM
the league will be better off when this piece of **** is retired

There is always someone waiting in the wings to take his place. Let's not pretend that this style of play started with Metta World Peace.

LoveMeOrHateMe
11-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Metta was and always will be trash. He can fake nice all he wants but we all know this is one shady bro.

Cool story bro

Shlumpledink
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I like how people keep saying its an elbow. You are losing credibility when you say its an intentional elbow. It shows you didn't really watch or understand the play. He was turned by lin in air, so he was landing off balance and his hand swung around and hit lin in the face. It sucks, and Lin wasn't really upset by it because I think he knew.

Sounds like a bunch of people who are judging by the team he plays on, or his reputation. Him elbowing Harden was bad, and intentional. But this was nowhere close to that.

TotesMagotes
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
There is always someone waiting in the wings to take his place. Let's not pretend that this style of play started with Metta World Peace.

The Pistons of the late 80's comes to mind.

I think it's pretty obvious that it was intentional. Artest has a track record, so he immediately tried making nice with Lin to try preventing an flagrant foul, and a possible fine and/or suspension.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm an old timer and I can assure you whether it's "part of the game" or not, it's happened plenty in all of my years of watching the NBA. Not just elbows, but clotheslines, tripping, punches, eye pokes, jabs, etc., etc. The perception that this game is tea and crumpets is an illusion. :D

Just because other people have done it doesn't change the fact that it isn't part of the game.

chrism516
11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I like how people keep saying its an elbow. You are losing credibility when you say its an intentional elbow. It shows you didn't really watch or understand the play. He was turned by lin in air, so he was landing off balance and his hand swung around and hit lin in the face. It sucks, and Lin wasn't really upset by it because I think he knew.

Sounds like a bunch of people who are judging by the team he plays on, or his reputation. Him elbowing Harden was bad, and intentional. But this was nowhere close to that.

You are delusional if you don't think it was intentional. Watch the replay at 35 seconds, the hand that hits Lin is low, then he brings it back up in a whipping motion. Clearly brings it up to hit him in the face.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Lmao stereotyping at it's finest.

It was a joke lol. No racism at all.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Just because other people have done it doesn't change the fact that it isn't part of the game.

If enough people have done it, and continue to do it, it does, indeed, become a de facto part of the game. Don't let your sense of propriety and fairplay disaffirm what your eyes are clearly telling you.

IndyRealist
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
It's close. He could have just been spun after the move and not "realize" Lin was so close. It looks a lot more like an accident at normal speed than in slow motion. I would learn toward unintentional. BUT, Ron does not get the benefit of doubt given his history. So suspension.

IndyRealist
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
If enough people have done it, and continue to do it, it does, indeed, become a de facto part of the game. Don't let your sense of propriety and fairplay disaffirm what your eyes are clearly telling you.

It is part of the game. And so are suspensions.

RaiderLakersA's
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
It is part of the game. And so are suspensions.

Agreed, but if MWP doesn't get fined or suspended, what then? Will we all be able to move on and accept the fact that sometimes the villain wins, that terribly bad things do happen to perfectly good people without any hope of ever balancing the scales? Please tell me we can and will survive this cruel Linjustice!!! :D :D :D

TheSource
11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Wasn't even an elbow.

I Rock Shaqs
11-19-2012, 05:29 PM

LMAO "thug acts" Get off your high horse budd.

J4KOP99
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Hang him!!

J4KOP99
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
God forbid anyone commit such a thug act

Raps08-09 Champ
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM

I guess we shouldn't imprison people for assault since there's hundreds of assault cases happening in Greater city area each day?

J4KOP99
11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Poor little Jeremy almost cried too. Suspend artest 2 games. 1 for the horrific thug act and another for embarrassing and upsetting little Jeremy!

Despicable!

KnickaBocka.44
11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I wonder if Lin thinks that this happened because he is Asian too?

Raps08-09 Champ
11-19-2012, 05:36 PM

:laugh2:

Lakers4life08
11-19-2012, 05:37 PM
First time i saw Jeremy Lin this season,damm this dude is total garbage

xILLN355
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
harden stayed on the opposite end in fear of mwp

Lakerfan In NY
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Q.B!! SON, WHAT!! WE KEEPS THIS SH7T GANGSTER!!! Lol!

Blitzbolt
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm not a Artest fan at all I hope he retires ASAP.

I'm tired of his BS in and off the court.

chipurmunki
11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
of course artest elbowed lin on purpose. he's a rotten player like bynum.

dc5jdm
11-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Since when is throwing an elbow a thug move?

ThunderousDemon
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM

:laugh:

Andrew32
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Ronny needs to be suspended for this thug act.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Ronny needs to be suspended for this thug act.

Oh noez!!! Not a suspension!!! :ohno: :speechless: :cry:

Max.This
11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Poor little Jeremy almost cried too. Suspend artest 2 games. 1 for the horrific thug act and another for embarrassing and upsetting little Jeremy!

Despicable!

Upsetting and embarrassing jeremy lin. You guys forget that the kid didnt even say anything. Its not like he went to the refs and was like please give him a flagrant, but yet ppl go out of their way to mock him. I'm sure if MWP hit you like that, your *** would be in my 4th row asking a fan to cuddle you

GiantsSwaGG
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I thought Artest was throwing his set up

RapOZo
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Dirty player. Just like KG

and d wade

Sssmush
11-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Suspend Lin for flopping.

Seriously though, if I was an NBA player, I would take exception to these kind of plays where you're in the air and they give you an intentional foul, but they pull you or swing your body around in the air to prevent the follow through and-1.

Think about it, your running full speed, in the air, and you've got a defender intentionally swinging you around, so that you can easily come down awkward and twist your foot, ankle or leg somehow.

These kind of grabbing intentional fouls are kind of in the same category as intentional flops, if you ask me, but either way, I don't really fault Metta for giving Lin a little smack with the forearm (not elbow) there. If somebody grabs Metta like that, if his first instinct is to smack them that is understandable.

If it was a court of of law, Jeremy Lin has already committed assault and battery by grabbing Metta and swinging him around intentionally. Metta's smack on Lin, while Lin is still holding on to Metta, on the street it would be considered self-defense if I'm not mistaken.

RaiderLakersA's
11-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I guess we shouldn't imprison people for assault since there's hundreds of assault cases happening in Greater city area each day?

Don't get me started on the inherent flaws of the criminal justice system. Please. The fact is yes, there are lots of perpretrators who don't get arrested because police officers decided to look the other way. Further, there are lots of criminals that never make it to court, because the DAs feel that they cannot win a conviction and don't want to imperil their win-loss conviction record; the community at large be damned! And one step further, there are crimes that judges won't hear because there is already a backlog of cases that have yet to be tried. And even when a case makes it to trial, let's not pretend that the bad guys don't get off scott free anyway. (Right, OJ???) And need I mention what happens when jail overcrowding becomes an issue? Yep, you guessed it, these convicted miscreants have their sentences reduced and go home early. Wonderful system we have here, no?

Look, I'm not saying that the league shouldn't punish MWP. I'm saying that the league can't/won't punish every infraction. We've already observed this to be true. So why are you arguing the point needlessly?

kblo247
11-20-2012, 12:41 AM
True of both bullies and alpha males, they're always looking to establish dominance over others. One way to do this is to physically provoke a player just to test his mettle. The apology was perfunctory in keeping with the ruse and hardly sincere.

So yes, even if it was purely accidental, in a mano y mano setting, the least that Lin could have done was square off, scowl, growl, something. Lin has to show that he belongs on the same court with these blokes. The offending player's behavior won't change otherwise. And believe me, there were other bullies and alphas who will see the clip. This won't be the last time that Lin gets smacked.

Kobe ran thru him and stared him down later that game

And it was more of a slap than elbow, which Ron meant to clear space after the guy grabbed him from behind by the arm to whirl him from an and one. Any guy is getting smacked there on any court if they make that grab Lin did on a guy in the air at full speed. Smacked, cussed out, stared down, whatever its just court life. Scola made a similar play on Odom years ago and Walton gone toe to toe with him, and then Fisher bulldozed him to make a point.

Mcdoh
11-20-2012, 12:43 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tredigs
11-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Suspend Lin for flopping.

Seriously though, if I was an NBA player, I would take exception to these kind of plays where you're in the air and they give you an intentional foul, but they pull you or swing your body around in the air to prevent the follow through and-1.

Think about it, your running full speed, in the air, and you've got a defender intentionally swinging you around, so that you can easily come down awkward and twist your foot, ankle or leg somehow.

These kind of grabbing intentional fouls are kind of in the same category as intentional flops, if you ask me, but either way, I don't really fault Metta for giving Lin a little smack with the forearm (not elbow) there. If somebody grabs Metta like that, if his first instinct is to smack them that is understandable.

If it was a court of of law, Jeremy Lin has already committed assault and battery by grabbing Metta and swinging him around intentionally. Metta's smack on Lin, while Lin is still holding on to Metta, on the street it would be considered self-defense if I'm not mistaken.

Hahah well, in fact, you're wrong on every level.

One of the acts is a standard part of basketball where Lin grabbed and completely braced a slow moving Artest on his way to the basket to prevent the gimme bucket. In the play Artest did not even lose his balance. It was literally the most gentle/generous foul Lin could've made in that situation (if he decides to prevent the shot).

Artest on the other hand performed your standard spinning chop to the kids neck. I don't entirely blame him as I do think he's literally too stupid to process the repercussions of his actions in that short of an amount of time, but this is just same ol' same ol' from the most fined/suspended/penalized player in sports history. I've seen thousands of players had this foul on them in thousands of similar scenarios. It generally takes an actual aggressive hack from the defender to get the guy to react. For Artest, it's just the fact that someone breathed on him. He's not a socially adjusted human.

It's the idiots who defend his actions that you have to wonder about. Simply homers or literally blinded by the homerism? Second scenario is the one that makes people just shake their head.

Gritz
11-20-2012, 12:55 AM
I swear you laker fans would be crying if someone even swung at yalls darling kobe.

Kobe already got socked out, who cares.

koreancabbage
11-20-2012, 12:56 AM

MWP is a thug act

heyman321
11-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Kobe ran thru him and stared him down later that game

And it was more of a slap than elbow, which Ron meant to clear space after the guy grabbed him from behind by the arm to whirl him from an and one. Any guy is getting smacked there on any court if they make that grab Lin did on a guy in the air at full speed. Smacked, cussed out, stared down, whatever its just court life. Scola made a similar play on Odom years ago and Walton gone toe to toe with him, and then Fisher bulldozed him to make a point.

You mean when Kobe ran into him and fouled him and knocked him over, but he thought he had a clean steal even though it was totally not, then gave the "are you kidding me look" but played it cool?

Gritz
11-20-2012, 01:02 AM
You mean when Kobe ran into him and fouled him and knocked him over, but he thought he had a clean steal even though it was totally not, then gave the "are you kidding me look" but played it cool?

No he stared at him because Lin flopped, he wasn't hit hard enough to fall, watch the replay.

heyman321
11-20-2012, 01:07 AM
No he stared at him because Lin flopped, he wasn't hit hard enough to fall, watch the replay.

No, it really wasn't. You watch the replay lol, seriously? The Lakers destroyed them and Kobe got a triple double, there's no need to fallaciously defend Kobe, that was clearly a foul.

torocan
11-20-2012, 01:39 AM

You're delusional. Kobe nailed him shoulder to shoulder and plowed him.

Kobe slammed him, it's a foul. Nothing more to say than that.

Sssmush
11-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Hahah well, in fact, you're wrong on every level.

One of the acts is a standard part of basketball where Lin grabbed and completely braced a slow moving Artest on his way to the basket to prevent the gimme bucket. In the play Artest did not even lose his balance. It was literally the most gentle/generous foul Lin could've made in that situation (if he decides to prevent the shot).

See, that's the part that I find questionable. I'm not really sure that it's in the rule book that, yeah, if somebody is going for a shot, intentionally foul them, by grabbing them as they run/jump and then swing them around so they're not facing the basket to be sure.

I mean, sure, Lin's face probably stung a little bit, ok. But really I'm more concerned about these weird kind of intentional fouls, these kind of cornerback/free safety kind of plays, where you're intercepting the guy in the air or on the dead run, and then, because you're not playing the ball at all, even a little guy can throw a larger player off balance and spin him around.

It creates a situation where, say if Metta doesn't want to take a chance on getting fouled like that, he has to keep Lin in front of him the whole time, and if Lin tries to dodge out to the side like a matador to try and grab him from behind, then just run right over him and get the foul called instead.

I've seen several players make these plays and it's one of the things I don't like about the NBA. Especially players like Jason Kidd are deceptively dirty and I think a lot of players know they can get injured by these guys. I've seen people on the fast break go all the way up to the hoop, and Jason Kidd will catch them in the air above the rim and wrap their arms, then bring them straight down to the ground awkwardly, sometimes spun around, but keep them wrapped up like they are "helping" the player.''

seriously if Jason Kidd or CP3 or those guys get smacked around a bit it doesn't bother me at all.

AddiX
11-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Wow, I like artest a lot, and like physical basketball and even intentional hard fouls. I really do.

But you have got to be a moron of epic proportions to defend this move by him. As for ppl saying Lin shouldn't of grabbed him, he had no choice, artest is way stronger than Lin.

You guys really need to stop this ******** way of thinking, it's bad for the country.

Sssmush
11-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Wow, I like artest a lot, and like physical basketball and even intentional hard fouls. I really do.

But you have got to be a moron of epic proportions to defend this move by him. As for ppl saying Lin shouldn't of grabbed him, he had no choice, artest is way stronger than Lin.

You guys really need to stop this ******** way of thinking, it's bad for the country.

To me, it is similar to the flopping rule.

Basketball is a team game. On that play, Lakers outmaneuvered Houston, so Artest is driving to the hoop and Lin has to defend.

Similar to a breakaway play in Hockey, Artest clearly has the advantage, because he is somewhat taller and heavier, although Lin is quicker and a better ballhandler.

So... make the play. Defend the ball, and either make a defensive play, or give up one of the 100 or so baskets that are given up every single game.

What is this crap of tackling or grabbing the player? For one thing, it is basically the same as pass interference in football, and for another it robs the spectators of seeing some exciting shots, dunks, layups as well as good defensive play.

So, instead of seeing a good play, we see one player grab the other to arrest his motion, sometimes putting him in danger of injury. What good is that from a spectator's viewpoint? The flaw here is that unlike in football, hockey or soccer, there is no real penalty for giving the intentional foul. It's actually rewarded, because the chance that opponent will miss one of two FTs is usually greater than the chance they'll miss the shot. Therefore, we get TONS of these type of plays every year, which are every bit as sucky and meaningless as the various flops that have been so in vogue with mediocre players for the past few years.

So, how do you fix it? Intentional foul gets two FTs plus the ball. No technical, just two FTs plus the ball. Defender must be making a basketball play and playing the ball, otherwise two FTs + Ball.

I don't condone Artest backslapping Lin like that, but if we're going to start moral grandstanding then I think we gotta look at the whole picture.

blahblahyoutoo
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
To me, it is similar to the flopping rule.

Basketball is a team game. On that play, Lakers outmaneuvered Houston, so Artest is driving to the hoop and Lin has to defend.

Similar to a breakaway play in Hockey, Artest clearly has the advantage, because he is somewhat taller and heavier, although Lin is quicker and a better ballhandler.

So... make the play. Defend the ball, and either make a defensive play, or give up one of the 100 or so baskets that are given up every single game.

What is this crap of tackling or grabbing the player? For one thing, it is basically the same as pass interference in football, and for another it robs the spectators of seeing some exciting shots, dunks, layups as well as good defensive play.

So, instead of seeing a good play, we see one player grab the other to arrest his motion, sometimes putting him in danger of injury. What good is that from a spectator's viewpoint? The flaw here is that unlike in football, hockey or soccer, there is no real penalty for giving the intentional foul. It's actually rewarded, because the chance that opponent will miss one of two FTs is usually greater than the chance they'll miss the shot. Therefore, we get TONS of these type of plays every year, which are every bit as sucky and meaningless as the various flops that have been so in vogue with mediocre players for the past few years.

So, how do you fix it? Intentional foul gets two FTs plus the ball. No technical, just two FTs plus the ball. Defender must be making a basketball play and playing the ball, otherwise two FTs + Ball.

I don't condone Artest backslapping Lin like that, but if we're going to start moral grandstanding then I think we gotta look at the whole picture.

so what about last 2 minutes of a close game?

blahblahyoutoo
11-20-2012, 09:05 AM

link to replay plz

Sssmush
11-20-2012, 09:36 AM
so what about last 2 minutes of a close game?

play defense. Make a play.

If we're playing team basketball, and Nash gets the ball to the guy who's got the mismatch... that's the game. That's the essence of the game.

That shouldn't just be negated by grabbing and fouling the player without even trying to make a play on the ball.

I mean, what if Deion Branch is out front of the Pittsburgh cornerback on his way to the endzone in the fourth quarter of a close game? Sure, the cornerback can tackle Branch before the ball gets there, wrap him up and prevent the play, but the penalty will almost assure NE that they get a touchdown.

In basketball, you are almost rewarding the defender, by giving him the ball back after two free throws; so it is .75 x 1 + .75 x 1 instead of 2. If it's not a play on the ball it should be two FTs plus get the ball back.

I mean you can still foul, you can still hit the arms and go up and foul, but you just can't stay flat footed and grab the guy around the waist as he jumps in the air and wrap his arms, that should be a FTs + possession

Laker Legend42
11-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Was it an elbow or a back hand?

thenaj17
11-20-2012, 10:24 AM
play defense. Make a play.

If we're playing team basketball, and Nash gets the ball to the guy who's got the mismatch... that's the game. That's the essence of the game.

That shouldn't just be negated by grabbing and fouling the player without even trying to make a play on the ball.

I mean, what if Deion Branch is out front of the Pittsburgh cornerback on his way to the endzone in the fourth quarter of a close game? Sure, the cornerback can tackle Branch before the ball gets there, wrap him up and prevent the play, but the penalty will almost assure NE that they get a touchdown.

In basketball, you are almost rewarding the defender, by giving him the ball back after two free throws; so it is .75 x 1 + .75 x 1 instead of 2. If it's not a play on the ball it should be two FTs plus get the ball back.
I mean you can still foul, you can still hit the arms and go up and foul, but you just can't stay flat footed and grab the guy around the waist as he jumps in the air and wrap his arms, that should be a FTs + possession

In essense what you are saying is that flagrants should be called more often and broadened and i agree.

However, It doesn't justify someone throwing an arm to another's face.

knicks=love
11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
anyone else find it ironic this happened on the 8th anniversary of the malice at the palace?

edit: wait, this was sunday. nvm :sigh:

Raps08-09 Champ
11-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Don't get me started on the inherent flaws of the criminal justice system. Please. The fact is yes, there are lots of perpretrators who don't get arrested because police officers decided to look the other way. Further, there are lots of criminals that never make it to court, because the DAs feel that they cannot win a conviction and don't want to imperil their win-loss conviction record; the community at large be damned! And one step further, there are crimes that judges won't hear because there is already a backlog of cases that have yet to be tried. And even when a case makes it to trial, let's not pretend that the bad guys don't get off scott free anyway. (Right, OJ???) And need I mention what happens when jail overcrowding becomes an issue? Yep, you guessed it, these convicted miscreants have their sentences reduced and go home early. Wonderful system we have here, no?

That's exactly what you're doing. Looking the other way.

Also, I don't really care about the rest of whatever is said there. Canada and the US has 2 different criminal justice systems.

Look, I'm not saying that the league shouldn't punish MWP. I'm saying that the league can't/won't punish every infraction. We've already observed this to be true. So why are you arguing the point needlessly?

Lol, yea we can. If someone on the court acts like an idiot, you have evidence every single time. Fine Artest and move on. Why do you even argue that this is part of the game when it's not.

ewing
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Are you a Nazi?

nycericanguy
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
No, it really wasn't. You watch the replay lol, seriously? The Lakers destroyed them and Kobe got a triple double, there's no need to fallaciously defend Kobe, that was clearly a foul.

i'm not a laker fan, but Kobe gave Lin that look because Lin sort of flopped.

Yes it was a foul, but Lin flopped and exaggerated, tahts why Kobe gave him that "really?" look.

Stinkyoutsider
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
He should be suspended if it was intentional, which it looked like it was.

I can understand an arm flying and hitting a guy when he grabs you while you're in the air, but the spin towards him with the arm swing along with his past history means he should be suspended.

World Peace won't feel a fine but he will feel a suspension because it hurts the team too. You want the team to step in and make him stop elbowing guys.

Lakersfanla24
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
I love how he grabbed lin after the play to make it look like an accident, while looking at the ref the whole time:laugh2: I think a fine should be imposed but not a suspension. It wasnt nearly as vicious as the shot he gave Harden, plus basketball is slowly becoming a p***y sport. The game needs a little more toughness....

AddiX
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I love how he grabbed lin after the play to make it look like an accident, while looking at the ref the whole time:laugh2: I think a fine should be imposed but not a suspension. It wasnt nearly as vicious as the shot he gave Harden, plus basketball is slowly becoming a p***y sport. The game needs a little more toughness....

it already is a p***y sport, which is the only reason I'm ok w this. But I'm still not stupid enough to try and defend it.

This was normal in the 80s and 90s. Sad, artest has done this twice in the past two seasons, these bunch of females on the court don't do a thing about it.

NBA is so soft in 2012.

xxplayerxx23
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Nah, I didn't think it was tbh/