PDA

View Full Version : Could pau and Al make the best pf/c combo in the east?

ldawg
11-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I think Hawks had a very good team last season and they Hawks have been very steady for years, always in the middle of the pack. They always seem to have decent players but can never make the next step. Looking at this team they can get better with some good moves and i think trading for Pau is a good start. I am not sure who is more stupid Lakers trading Pau for Smith or Hawk not trading Smith for Pau. Smith and Al is a good front line but Pau and Al would be a level up thats on par with grizzles. Thats if they put Pau at center and let Al slide to the 4. Pau IQ and passing will help the team overall not just the front line. While Smith is athletic it stops there. Cant the Hawks find a way to land Pau and Jose Calderon? This team have potential. Personally i think Pau will also be a leader bring his winning culture from both finals and olympics to the Hawks. Time for the Hawks is now not later. Smith is not going to lead them anywhere he is not a franchise player. He is a lock to miss games and as his athletic ability fades so will any team that max him out. Smith is one of those players with good numbers that do little to have a real impact.
As for a front line of Howard and Smith, that sounds good athletic and defensive but in close games thats a bad bad mix right there. Both Smith and Howard shoot a very low % 2ft from the basket and at the free throw line making them a liability.

MetroMan
11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
They can always do a 3 team trade that brings pau to the bucks and Ellis to the hawks

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-18-2012, 11:05 AM
what i wanna know is what does josh smith do in the offseason? lol

yaswaggin
11-18-2012, 11:19 AM
tl; dr

Work on his jumper :laugh2:

kobe4thewinbang
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Work on his jumper :laugh2: Ditto. Hawks would be better with Gasol, but though I did before upon further inspection I don't want Smith in a LAKERS jersey. I'm sure Nash would assist him on some crazy dunks in the fastbreak, but when playoff basketball rolls around and defenses crack down, Smith's shot is anything but "smoove."

greg_ory_2005
11-18-2012, 11:56 AM
They might be. Still have Bargnani/J Val a bit ahead though.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I wonder where smith would rank among PF.

Lakers4life08
11-18-2012, 01:31 PM
No chance,Raptors is far better,Bargnani+Valakunas=unstoppable force

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Pau Gasol is not that great on defense, and he's 32 years old. That is not a good option for the Hawks to give up a stud like Josh Smith for. I agree that it's a great idea to move Al Horford to power forward, but Atlanta needs to get more youth back and, defensively, a tougher center.
How about Atlanta offer up a package based around Smith to the Pistons for a package based around either Greg Monroe or Andre Drummond?

Hellcrooner
11-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Pau Gasol is not that great on defense, and he's 32 years old. That is not a good option for the Hawks to give up a stud like Josh Smith for. I agree that it's a great idea to move Al Horford to power forward, but Atlanta needs to get more youth back and, defensively, a tougher center.
How about Atlanta offer up a package based around Smith to the Pistons for a package based around either Greg Monroe or Andre Drummond?

eah nto that great, but he is getting as a THIRD option the same numbers "God" Smith is getting as a first option....................

Seriously smith must be the most overrated player in the ****ing league.

greg_ory_2005
11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Smoove>>>Gasol

Munkeysuit
11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I think Hawks had a very good team last season and they Hawks have been very steady for years, always in the middle of the pack. They always seem to have decent players but can never make the next step. Looking at this team they can get better with some good moves and i think trading for Pau is a good start. I am not sure who is more stupid Lakers trading Pau for Smith or Hawk not trading Smith for Pau. Smith and Al is a good front line but Pau and Al would be a level up thats on par with grizzles. Thats if they put Pau at center and let Al slide to the 4. Pau IQ and passing will help the team overall not just the front line. While Smith is athletic it stops there. Cant the Hawks find a way to land Pau and Jose Calderon? This team have potential. Personally i think Pau will also be a leader bring his winning culture from both finals and olympics to the Hawks. Time for the Hawks is now not later. Smith is not going to lead them anywhere he is not a franchise player. He is a lock to miss games and as his athletic ability fades so will any team that max him out. Smith is one of those players with good numbers that do little to have a real impact.
As for a front line of Howard and Smith, that sounds good athletic and defensive but in close games thats a bad bad mix right there. Both Smith and Howard shoot a very low % 2ft from the basket and at the free throw line making them a liability.

NOPE! but they would be way better off without Smith, Although he is clearly the most gifted and the most talented player on the team, he is far too disruptive with his style of play.
Lakers would have the athleticism they so sorely need with a trade like this, I think it would be great for both sides.

thrice4
11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
They can always do a 3 team trade that brings pau to the bucks and Ellis to the hawks

Our frontcourt is too crowded already.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Smoove>>>Gasol

:facepalm:

ldawg
11-18-2012, 02:50 PM
No chance,Raptors is far better,Bargnani+Valakunas=unstoppable forceI think Pau and Al would be much better. Like Smith and Al they post good numbers but they cant effectively control the game. Bargnani is a shooter with bad inside game Valakunas do i need to say more? Pau and Al combined skill set with strong rebounds shooting and passing would not be matched in the East. Hawks just want to run but they have the players to be better than they are. Pau make them better it like getting a pg at center who can post, block shots and shoot. Pau is the opposite of Smith and is the better fit for the Hawks.

dhopisthename
11-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't know the pf/c combo of lebron and bosh is probably best

ldawg
11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
NOPE! but they would be way better off without Smith, Although he is clearly the most gifted and the most talented player on the team, he is far too disruptive with his style of play.
Lakers would have the athleticism they so sorely need with a trade like this, I think it would be great for both sides.Its one of those trades that make sense for both teams But Lakers would be the one taking a huge risk. IMO Hawks would be risk nothing. Not only would they be getting the best passing big in the game but a player that is posting similar numbers on a smaller role. For Lakers risk Just think, 50 sec left down 2 and your two front court players is Howard and Smith. Defenders will clog the paint and foul them if they get the ball because they cant shoot.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't know the pf/c combo of lebron and bosh is probably bestPau and Bosh cool but but they get away with that on small teams. It boils down on who can dictate the game. Slow the game pound and zone them.

L8ker4lyfe
11-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Its one of those trades that make sense for both teams But Lakers would be the one taking a huge risk. IMO Hawks would be risk nothing. Not only would they be getting the best passing big in the game but a player that is posting similar numbers on a smaller role. For Lakers risk Just think, 50 sec left down 2 and your two front court players is Howard and Smith. Defenders will clog the paint and foul them if they get the ball because they cant shoot.

I agree but with Smith, Howard, Nash, Kobe, and hopefully Korver running in D'Antoni system, Do you think we'll find ourselves in that position often? If Mitch can somehow dump Duhon or Blake in the trade and get Korver i say get it done

Atl Bill
11-18-2012, 03:52 PM
why would we take ur trash n give u korver.... this deal is never going to happen. idk why u guys are even brining this up. its a horrible trade for the hawks, who plan on keeping smith after the season. we wouldn't trade for a player like pau. its been reported 100x before the season the hawks dont like the idea. Now Korver plays well and you guys are making up your own fantasy trades so we pretty much get ur trash. LOL just think how stupid you guys sound with this proposed trade that the hawks have rejected and then to add korver to the mix. WOW homers. STFU and go beat ur dick off.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I agree but with Smith, Howard, Nash, Kobe, and hopefully Korver running in D'Antoni system, Do you think we'll find ourselves in that position often? If Mitch can somehow dump Duhon or Blake in the trade and get Korver i say get it done I think Pau is a better center than he is a pf. From LA point of view that is the only way i make that move if i was Mitch. If Howard is injured or in foul trouble Pau can fill in. Cant say the same for smith. Let just say he is athletic.

#knickstape
11-18-2012, 03:57 PM
No

Hellcrooner
11-18-2012, 04:00 PM
I wonder why san antonio has not called Atlanta to see if they want something in a three way deal.

L8ker4lyfe
11-18-2012, 04:05 PM
why would we take ur trash n give u korver.... this deal is never going to happen. idk why u guys are even brining this up. its a horrible trade for the hawks, who plan on keeping smith after the season. we wouldn't trade for a player like pau. its been reported 100x before the season the hawks dont like the idea. Now Korver plays well and you guys are making up your own fantasy trades so we pretty much get ur trash. LOL just think how stupid you guys sound with this proposed trade that the hawks have rejected and then to add korver to the mix. WOW homers. STFU and go beat ur dick off.

"its a horrible trade for the hawks, who plan on keeping smith after the season" LOL the Hawks would be the winners in the trade and plan on keeping him its been like 3 years straight Smith stated that he's not resigning and wou'ld be open to a trade. Thats why Hawks GM have been listening to offers he knows you have no chance of keeping past this season,,,,,,,

ldawg
11-18-2012, 04:13 PM
why would we take ur trash n give u korver.... this deal is never going to happen. idk why u guys are even brining this up. its a horrible trade for the hawks, who plan on keeping smith after the season. we wouldn't trade for a player like pau. its been reported 100x before the season the hawks dont like the idea. Now Korver plays great and you guys are making up your own fantasy trades so we pretty much get ur trash. LOL just think how stupid you guys sound with this proposed trade that the hawks have rejected and then to add korver to the mix. WOW homers. STFU and go beat ur dick off.Lets just say Hawks will always be in the middle of the pack. Like it or not Pau would make them a better team than they are at present. I think Lakers know Smith is a down grade but maybe they view him as a better fit. As for the Hawks they are even more silly. Smith was the first player they should have traded. They had a good team they were right at the door and fail to find a center and get AL back to his pf position an build on the success they had. Not much has change Smith remain a very raw Athletic player. If he was a center he would be perfect but he is not and he dont fit Hawks style of play.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
NoAmare/Chandler is not bad but Pau and Al would be very solid. Pau is still better than Marc and Al is very solid. Both Pau and Al can switch at any time during the game. Pau passing and the way he reads the game is much better than either Chandler or Amare He can even post up. Dont sleep on Pau he grab rebounds as well. All these teams talk about age. New York is the hottest and oldest team in the NBA at the moment. And when was the last time a young team won rings?

tbone2171
11-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Pau and Al? Do these guys have last names?

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Greg Monroe + Andre Drummond > Al Horford + Pau Gasol

;-)

knicks=love
11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
they're not the best PF/C duo because they're both PFs. one of them would be out of position.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Greg Monroe + Andre Drummond > Al Horford + Pau Gasol

;-)What?

ldawg
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
they're not the best PF/C duo because they're both PFs. one of them would be out of position.My point. The nba has changed. They both have the size and Skills to play both the positions. They are not one dimensional. So match ups wont be an Issue. Did U remember Pau against Howard at center in the finals? Pau at this moment is a better fit at center. Al is more suited going back to pf.

reffahead
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Horford gets assisted alot on his fgs. Actually alot by Josh. He is getting lit up by opposing 4s right now when we play Smith at 3.

Gasol is way too slow for my liking. The Hawks still need a pure pg. Smith is one of the best finishers in the league and Al is arguably the best midrange shooting big right now. Right there with KG and Dirk. So a vet pg can get them in their spots thus solving a few issues without major changes. WE WILL NOT COMPROMISE OUR CAP SPACE FOR PAU.

Ferry has already said he values flexibility.

iliketurtles24
11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
How about pau to the wolves, Josh smith to the lakers, and dwill and a first to the hawks!

ldawg
11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Horford gets assisted alot on his fgs. Actually alot by Josh. He is getting lit up by opposing 4s right now when we play Smith at 3.

Gasol is way too slow for my liking. The Hawks still need a pure pg. Smith is one of the best finishers in the league and Al is arguably the best midrange shooting big right now. Right there with KG and Dirk. So a vet pg can get them in their spots thus solving a few issues without major changes. WE WILL NOT COMPROMISE OUR CAP SPACE FOR PAU.

Ferry has already said he values flexibility.Well if that is the case Pau is even a better fit. You have to control the tempo of the game that suit your players. Hawks want to play the out of control style and it is not working they need to play a smarter playing and reading style. Because of Pau speed and passing he is more suited at center. Al in the high screen and roll. and he can spread the floor for guard penetration Pau can also step out and hit that jumper. Thing is Smith numbers look good he has a high rev engine but he is just smoking tires. Its not translating into Wins. He is not that type to build around. Hawks can be right there with new York and Miami but they are not. And its because they dont play smart ball. Al is better than he is being used he needs a better player by his side.

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2012, 05:21 PM
eah nto that great, but he is getting as a THIRD option the same numbers "God" Smith is getting as a first option....................

Seriously smith must be the most overrated player in the ****ing league.

The biggest point I'm trying to make is that Josh Smith is six years younger. I never said Smith was better than Gasol, although I did rightfully say Smith is better on defense. The Hawks are in a rebuilding phase; they have younger players; and they don't need a 32 year old who won't be around or elite for that long.

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2012, 05:23 PM
What?

Just wishful thinking on my part ;-)

Hellcrooner
11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
How about pau to the wolves, Josh smith to the lakers, and dwill and a first to the hawks!

Want to hinder peks developement?

ldawg
11-18-2012, 05:33 PM
The biggest point I'm trying to make is that Josh Smith is six years younger. I never said Smith was better than Gasol, although I did rightfully say Smith is better on defense. The Hawks are in a rebuilding phase; they have younger players; and they don't need a 32 year old who won't be around or elite for that long.How do you form a wining culture if you dont surround yourself with people that know what it takes. Hawks is playing ZAZA at center Really and Smith at sf really? Why in the world would anyone guard Smith on the wing? My point is Hawks can be better than they are with the right moves. They are right there to be a top three team in the East but that falls on the GM. lock up your front court players and get a sg or a sf in the off season with the cap room they will have or via trade. Is New York, Nets, Indy, Boston, Phily, Bucks, and even Miami that much better than the Hawks? I dont see the need to rebuild at this point. They were not experienced against Boston and now its time to rebuild already? Dont rebuild reload.

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2012, 06:01 PM
How do you form a wining culture if you dont surround yourself with people that know what it takes. Hawks is playing ZAZA at center Really and Smith at sf really? Why in the world would anyone guard Smith on the wing? My point is Hawks can be better than they are with the right moves. They are right there to be a top three team in the East but that falls on the GM. lock up your front court players and get a sg or a sf in the off season with the cap room they will have or via trade. Is New York, Nets, Indy, Boston and even Miami that much better than the Hawks? I dont see the need to rebuild at this point.

That's exactly why I posted the bit about the Detroit trade. It's a team with two power forwards helping a team with two centers. Drummond or Greg Monroe would go well at center in Atlanta. Horford could finally move to power forward. The big caveat, though, is whether Smith bolts after one year in Detroit.

Hellcrooner
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
That's exactly why I posted the bit about the Detroit trade. It's a team with two power forwards helping a team with two centers. Drummond or Greg Monroe would go well at center in Atlanta. Horford could finally move to power forward. The big caveat, though, is whether Smith bolts after one year in Detroit.

Probably.

Dallas has capspace.
Thats somewhere that any f.a woudl want to go.

reffahead
11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Everybody is expiring except Horford and Lethal Lou. LL is covered by the MLE. We could sign a guy like Al Jefferson, Carl Landry, Chris Kaman, David West all for a third of what Gasol is making and keep Josh.

Still waiting to see what Dwight, Paul, and Bynum decide to do. Dallas has 34 million into 4 players and they have to decide what to do with Collison and Mayo.

Bravo95
11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Why are people suggesting this kind of deal as if the Hawks are desperate or time is running out on them as a contender? Uh, no. Maybe if they were still stuck with Joe Johnson('s contract) but once they dumped him to the Nets, plans changed. They could hold onto Josh until the end of the year if it came to that. The bottom line though is Ferry still holds the cards. Some desperate team will come crawling through the doggy door to beg him for a shooter or backup PG eventually, he can chill until then.

Bravo95
11-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Everybody is expiring except Horford and Lethal Lou. LL is covered by the MLE. We could sign a guy like Al Jefferson, Carl Landry, Chris Kaman, David West all for a third of what Gasol is making and keep Josh.

Still waiting to see what Dwight, Paul, and Bynum decide to do. Dallas has 34 million into 4 players and they have to decide what to do with Collison and Mayo.
I'm almost done with him. Can't even stay healthy at a bowling alley.

Bravo95
11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Lets just say Hawks will always be in the middle of the pack. Like it or not Pau would make them a better team than they are at present.
Define "better"... because they damn sure aren't winning a title with an aging Pau as their best player sucking up $20M of space for the next few years. You're trying to make them a 2nd rd and out team again? That's the master plan?

idrinkpepsi
11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I can't tell what's worse, the people praising Bargnani or the people mis-spelling Jonas last name. I think Pau and Al Horford would be a great PF/C combo, but I also think the Hawks want to rebuild.

:p

reffahead
11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
True Bravo but if Bynum can come back strong and lead Philly, I would have no problem taking him on. Maybe we could engage Philly in a sign and trade. I would happily give them a filler and our two first round picks.

Although, he seems like a flake. Almost Royce White esque.

popo85
11-18-2012, 07:48 PM
They might be. Still have Bargnani/J Val a bit ahead though.

Bargs not this year so far, shooting 35% and avging 4rpg

idrinkpepsi
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Bargs not this year so far, shooting 35% and avging 4rpgBargs has been insanely bad, if he played like last year doe this Raptors team would be a lot different..

:speechless:

Bravo95
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
True Bravo but if Bynum can come back strong and lead Philly, I would have no problem taking him on. Maybe we could engage Philly in a sign and trade. I would happily give them a filler and our two first round picks.

Although, he seems like a flake. Almost Royce White esque.
That's what I'm saying, he has this look as if he doesn't care about anything, let alone basketball. And you know that attitude/perception is what made local fans hate Joe Johnson pretty much from the day he arrived in Atlanta. But at least Joe stayed healthy. I can only imagine the reaction if they went down that max contract road again with another player who pulled that same careless act again.

popo85
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Bargs has been insanely bad, if he played like last year doe this Raptors team would be a lot different..

:speechless:

Its still early so he has time to get his game going..

Hellcrooner
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Define "better"... because they damn sure aren't winning a title with an aging Pau as their best player sucking up $20M of space for the next few years. You're trying to make them a 2nd rd and out team again? That's the master plan?

Flash news.
heat, Nets and Knicks.

hawks are not going further the 2nd round in teh upcoming years barring you TaNk and win the lottery and that particular year theres a lebron/durant/howard waiting.

reffahead
11-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Ferry performed a minor miracle getting rid of 28 million a year that was Joe Johnson+Marvin Williams.

We have a decent chance of getting Houston's pick if not this year most likely next. Our pick looks to be top 15 range, maybe 10. Even with Josh and Teagues cap hold we have 30 million to spend in free agency. If we needed more money we could just renounce that 3.5 million hold of Jeff Teague or trade him for future considerations.

Pau messes all this up. Flakers want to hamstring us financially because we are a viable option for Dwight believe it or not.

Bravo95
11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Flash news.
heat, Nets and Knicks.

hawks are not going further the 2nd round in teh upcoming years barring you TaNk and win the lottery and that particular year theres a lebron/durant/howard waiting.
Heat, yes. Nets, ehhh I don't believe anyone fears them right now, and the Knicks let's say they have a lot to prove come April.

But the OP thinks adding Pau will make the Hawks better, so my question was how at this stage of his career? They made moves to get from under their bad contracts. Pau is better off on a team where he doesn't have to be the man, with a team that can absorb his massive deal like it's nothing. Neither of those apply to the Hawks. There are probably 24-25 teams that should just take the next 2-3 years off because they aren't winning anything with a prime Lebron standing in the way, so it's not just the Hawks who had to reassess everything.

THE MTL
11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Now we all know that the Best front court combo in the East is Amare and Chandler!

knicks=love
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Now we all know that the Best front court combo in the East is Amare and Chandler!

stop

kblo247
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Amare to Atl
Pau to NY
Josh to LA

kblo247
11-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Ferry performed a minor miracle getting rid of 28 million a year that was Joe Johnson+Marvin Williams.

We have a decent chance of getting Houston's pick if not this year most likely next. Our pick looks to be top 15 range, maybe 10. Even with Josh and Teagues cap hold we have 30 million to spend in free agency. If we needed more money we could just renounce that 3.5 million hold of Jeff Teague or trade him for future considerations.

Pau messes all this up. Flakers want to hamstring us financially because we are a viable option for Dwight believe it or not.

Sure you are a viable option when you can add a year and 30mil, as well as marketing opportunites.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
lets see Hawks dont need to rebuild they are a sf and a center away from being real players in the race. Going young and Playing the lotto aint going to do nothing for them than repeat the cycle they have been doing for years. Draft young talent be so so and stay in the middle of the pack. I guess Boston, when they trade for Kg and Allen was nuts. Or Miami for Shaq, Dallas for Marion, Chandler, Lakers for Nash, Spurs for Jackson, etc. Even Okc did not over pay their young stud. Did you look at Hawks roaster? They have some good players Oh andby the way Miami is not unbeatable. With that mentality that is why they are. Even the fans get a losing mentality after a while. If Smith was a center with his skill set or he simply learn to shoot he is then a franchise player.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Look Pau has two years on his contract after that he has to take a huge pay cut. Once you resign Josh and we know he want max you are stuck. Rebuild on that.

LA_Raiders
11-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Gasol and Al wont work.

reffahead
11-18-2012, 10:07 PM
What marketing opportunities. He already made 20 million a year in endorsements with Orlando. As long as he can walk, China can give him all the endorsements he needs. Until all the free agents are signed, Atlanta is an option.

ldawg
11-18-2012, 10:38 PM
No big time free agent going to the Hawks If Dallas got room.

ldawg
11-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Why dont josh smith learn to shoot? With his d and athletic ability he would be great.

Leftcoast_yg
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Look Pau has two years on his contract after that he has to take a huge pay cut. Once you resign Josh and we know he want max you are stuck. Rebuild on that.

LOL burn!