PDA

View Full Version : Old NBA vs New NBA

kobe4thewinbang
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
This video raises the topic of camaraderie in today's NBA, compared to the gritty animosity of years past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAys4346oo

Do you think players should be "buddy-buddy" or do you miss the tribal attitude teams used to have before? "With us or against us", etc?

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2012, 10:08 AM
It's a fallacy that guys weren't good friends back int he day. Bird and Magic did have a rivalry, but when they met each other in person off the court they became friends. MAgic was good friends with Thomas as well. Barkley and Jordan were good friends. Wilt and Russell were good friends. LBJ and Durant being good friends is fine. I like to see heated rivalries (Indy played with a lot of emotion against MIA last season), but I'm fine with players being friends too.

Do I think Jordan had an edge over Barkley because they were friends? Maybe, but it didn't matter, because they weren't guarding each other. did LBJ have an advantage over Durant because they were friends? They did guard each other, so it kinda went both ways.

I hate listeing to Skip... he's a tool.

ATX
11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Again with this topic? There should be a whole website devoted to this, where can people can go rehash the "Good'ol'days", back when they had to walk to school, and churn their own butter...Back when things were "Tuff".

KnicksorBust
11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I love when players talk trash and go back and forth. But I grew up on a study diet of hating Jordan and then Reggie so it's different for me.

Sly Guy
11-18-2012, 10:53 AM
the whole idea that being friends means you take it easy on someone escapes me. Being a professional means you put forth a maximum effort regardless of the situation, and I think most, if not all the top flight NBA players are like this.

jericho
11-18-2012, 11:27 AM
you know what i dont like???
the refs have to much power in todays nba they call a tech foul for the lil things. if a player gets angry let him show his frustration let him get it out of his sistem.
also the dunks and blocks i missed the celebration the guys did when they posterized somebody or mutombo waving his finger when he blocked someone those were good things for the game
ex 1 of my fav 1s is the ricky davis dunk over steve nash not for the dunk but for his reaction

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-18-2012, 11:27 AM
have any of u guys ever played a game in your life?
friend or not, i will go 110% no matter the sport, regardless of who im up against.

homer fans are just stupid because they expect their teams players to show emotion and to feel bad about a loss, but the nba wanted PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES to act like PROFESSIONALS, and shake hands before/after games.

i have no doubt in my mind that players in the nba hate losing, they just hide their emotions.

but to even think for once that any player goes "soft" on another player because they are friends is just stupid.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
you know what i dont like???
the refs have to much power in todays nba they call a tech foul for the lil things. if a player gets angry let him show his frustration let him get it out of his sistem.
also the dunks and blocks i missed the celebration the guys did when they posterized somebody or mutombo waving his finger when he blocked someone those were good things for the game
ex 1 of my fav 1s is the ricky davis dunk over steve nash not for the dunk but for his reaction

too much showboating i guess..
im def with u on this.. but thats just the route they wanna take i guess.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-18-2012, 11:29 AM
u wanna know what happens when u start to play soft against ur friends? u lose minutes lol

xxplayerxx23
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't have a problem with them being freinds. Only thing Id have a problem with is if they didn't go 100% against there freinds. I have played basketball since I was 5, when I went against my freind I wanted to play better then him and Id get up for the game.

I Rock Shaqs
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
It was better a while back and the thing that bugs me the most is that the refs are all "buddy buddy" with the star players it seems.

Chronz
11-18-2012, 12:03 PM
House owns the show

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180Nf0cE_dI&feature=related

Here's how intense it could get back in the day... we see Rodman and Laimbeer representing a lot!

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Again with this topic? There should be a whole website devoted to this, where can people can go rehash the "Good'ol'days", back when they had to walk to school, and churn their own butter...Back when things were "Tuff".

You must be of this new soft floppy needy generation. llullz, u mad brah?

thenaj17
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
the whole idea that being friends means you take it easy on someone escapes me. Being a professional means you put forth a maximum effort regardless of the situation, and I think most, if not all the top flight NBA players are like this.

I would actually argue that it means more to beat your friends. It certainly does when i'm competing with any of my friends.

asandhu23
11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
have any of u guys ever played a game in your life?
friend or not, i will go 110% no matter the sport, regardless of who im up against.

homer fans are just stupid because they expect their teams players to show emotion and to feel bad about a loss, but the nba wanted PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES to act like PROFESSIONALS, and shake hands before/after games.

i have no doubt in my mind that players in the nba hate losing, they just hide their emotions.

but to even think for once that any player goes "soft" on another player because they are friends is just stupid.

impossible.

Longhornfan1234
11-19-2012, 11:55 AM
New NBA >>>>>> old NBA. Old NBA was filled with thugs committing thug acts on the court, and MJ dominating against unathletic perimeter guys.

asandhu23
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM
New NBA >>>>>> old NBA. Old NBA was filled with thugs committing thug acts on the court, and MJ dominating against unathletic perimeter guys.

Bill Russell was a thug?
Wilt Chamberlain was a thug?
Rick Barry was a thug?
Jerry West was a thug?
Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a thug?
Larry Bird was a thug?
Magic Johnson was a thug?
Julius Erving was a thug?
Pete Maravich was a thug?
John Havlicek was a thug?

:pity: