PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Anderson

ManRam
11-17-2012, 10:04 PM
I hate making threads like this, but I'm curious about how people perceive Ryno now. I know a lot of people, including Magic fans last year, felt that he was only a product of Dwight. I wasn't really on board with that thought process, and I know that this season is wildly young, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.

He really hasn't skipped a beat this year. He's playing as well as ever. And even last year when he won MIP, he really only improved because he got more minutes. His per 36 numbers and advanced stats didn't change much...AKA he was as good as he was last year the year before, but he just didn't get the minutes. Basically, he played at a very very high level his last two years in Orlando.

Does he crack your top 10 PFs? I'm not even sure if that's the question I'm asking...I just want to know what people think of him. I do realize that he's now a 6th man, and maybe that's helping his stats, but he's still getting 31 minutes a game.

People laugh at me when I suggest that LA would potentially be better off with him than Pau, but I don't think it's ridiculous. He was arguably better than Pau last year...and, again, hasn't dropped off yet this year.

raiderposting
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
lakers will need more than just him

ManRam
11-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Pau-for-Ryan...because that's not ultimately what I'm interested in. I just wanna know how people value him.

Great stretch 4. Great offensive rebounder. Solid - not great - but solid defender. Great shooter. Can run the court.

JeffG20
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
didnt realize he was such a beast on the boards... and to think we gave up just Ayon to get him. been really impressive and is pretty much our best offensive player. it would take alot to pry him away from us imo and would be stupid to trade pretty much our only offensive weapon

topdog
11-17-2012, 10:24 PM
To be honest, I never really thought too much of him, but those stats are fairly impressive. My question is: why can't he actually get 36mpg?

JeffG20
11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
To be honest, I never really thought too much of him, but those stats are fairly impressive. My question is: why can't he actually get 36mpg?

because he's our only player that can score off the bench...i understand he should be starting but our bench needs him.

shep33
11-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I like him. Pretty good rebounder too, the guy does work in the paint quietly. Deadly from 3, and is the perfect stretch 4.

ManRam... perhaps the strangest move of the offseason was the Magic re-upping Jameer instead of paying Anderson. Am I wrong? Did Anderson want to leave? I just didn't understand paying Jameer $25 mill over 3 years although the 3rd year being a team option, over paying similar money to Anderson. I think Anderson is making the exact same amount per season as Nelson... but again, they have a team option for Nelson. Still though, Anderson is really young.

thrice4
11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
didnt realize he was such a beast on the boards... and to think we gave up just Ayon to get him. been really impressive and is pretty much our best offensive player. it would take alot to pry him away from us imo and would be stupid to trade pretty much our only offensive weapon

Good point. Also the phrase who dat makes me want to puke.

topdog
11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
because he's our only player that can score off the bench...i understand he should be starting but our bench needs him.

That still doesn't mean he couldn't get 36 minutes. It also dates back to Orlando. I am just curious as to why he hasn't broken that mark.

JeffG20
11-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Good point. Also the phrase who dat makes me want to puke.

lol ok

ManRam
That still doesn't mean he couldn't get 36 minutes. It also dates back to Orlando. I am just curious as to why he hasn't broken that mark.

I don't know. The Magic have always had good depth at PF. Brandon Bass and BBD were always good enough to not over-work Anderson.

His first year in Orlando, Lewis was still a great player. His second year he had Bass and Lewis (for 1/3rd of the season) to contend with. Bass was always in SVG's doghouse for defensive reasons, something which SVG never once complained about Anderson.

And Bruno, I was kinda surprised to see us re-sign Nelson. I never thought we'd keep Anderson. It was clear this off-season that we were gonna rebuild. 4 years 36 million was too much for a team looking to bottom out and start from scratch. I guess they felt that the team needed one leader...and that was Nelson. I love Jam Jam, even more than Ryno, but I'd imagine/hope we trade him soon. Even if you are trying to bottom out (the organization denies it), you still some semblance of a veteran leader...and that's Jameer.

JeffG20

yea, i'd love to see him get more.

#knickstape
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Spoze!

lakers4sho
11-17-2012, 11:38 PM
I would trade Gasol for him straight up.

ThuglifeJ
11-18-2012, 12:14 AM
w.e

DreamShaker
11-18-2012, 12:23 AM
I think he is an awkward fit in NO. Not as in him not playing well, but as in him playing with Davis in the long run. Dude could really be a stud as a long-term starter for another team. But he is a good player. I'dd love him on the Rockets.

MagicBucsSox
11-18-2012, 12:32 AM
I like him. Pretty good rebounder too, the guy does work in the paint quietly. Deadly from 3, and is the perfect stretch 4.

ManRam... perhaps the strangest move of the offseason was the Magic re-upping Jameer instead of paying Anderson. Am I wrong? Did Anderson want to leave? I just didn't understand paying Jameer $25 mill over 3 years although the 3rd year being a team option, over paying similar money to Anderson. I think Anderson is making the exact same amount per season as Nelson... but again, they have a team option for Nelson. Still though, Anderson is really young.

Nelson was signed for his "work in the community". It was a charity signing. It disgusted me. 8yrs with this clown. Anderson would be not as good on our current roster house.

mike4sure
11-18-2012, 12:41 AM
ryan anderson,aminu and jason smith would be good for the chicago bulls

ManRam
11-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Nelson was signed for his "work in the community". It was a charity signing. It disgusted me. 8yrs with this clown. Anderson would be not as good on our current roster house.

You hate Jameer. I know. He's not the greatest passing PG...but he's a great clubhouse guy. A great leader. We're not going anywhere this year, nor should be rooting to do so. Bringing him back for that doesn't hurt us. Anderson's contract would have hurt us. Nelson's is team-friendly. He's tradable too. Plenty of contending teams could use him. Mia, LA, OKC, Dal, IND, Dal etc. don't have backup guards his caliber. It was a good signing. Glen Davis being out #1 clubhouse guy would have been terrifying.

Robbw241
11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
He's an excellent trick or treater.

Robbw241
11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
I'd love if the Nets could get him for Hump and picks.

AnthonyTyrael
11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
You hate Jameer. I know. He's not the greatest passing PG...but he's a great clubhouse guy. A great leader. We're not going anywhere this year, nor should be rooting to do so. Bringing him back for that doesn't hurt us. Anderson's contract would have hurt us. Nelson's is team-friendly. He's tradable too. Plenty of contending teams could use him. Mia, LA, OKC, Dal, IND, Dal etc. don't have backup guards his caliber. It was a good signing. Glen Davis being out #1 clubhouse guy would have been terrifying.

Just kidding...so Dal is going to sign him twice?

Jameer is good but I've never payed too much attention to him. So I can't judge his leadership at all. Judging as player, there are better ones around. He is simply not special to me. So'd I pick Anderson over him too. He still can improve overall, espcially his shooting % has to imrpove as unbelivable nifty as it might sound at first.

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm a fan. He'd be a good fit in Minny ;-) lol

Seriously though... he hits the 3-mall and rebounds.... I haven't gotten to watch him play much, so I don't know how his defense is.

KnicksorBust
11-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I think he is an awkward fit in NO. Not as in him not playing well, but as in him playing with Davis in the long run. Dude could really be a stud as a long-term starter for another team. But he is a good player. I'dd love him on the Rockets.

Why he doesn't fit with Davis? :confused: It seems to be working out really well for both of them so far this season.

@ManRam
With all the "trade Pau" nonsense running around I never even thought of Anderson. That could be brilliant. He helps the Lakers get younger, we already know he plays well with Dwight, and with D'Antoni on board he helps spread the floor perfectly for a Nash run offense. Plus if the Hornets suddenly had a frontline of Davis/Gasol mix in some Eric Gordon and you have an interesting roster. Maybe Gordon will be more motivated to come back.

Gram
11-18-2012, 11:05 AM
He's pretty good but I've never thought much of him.

Chronz
11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Why would you assume coming off the bench might be helping instead of hurting him?

No player makes another so I didn't expect any off the cliff downfall but I do worry about how easy he is to gameplan for in a playoff series. I think thats what its going to take for people to start taking him seriously which sadly wont be the case for awhile.

Chronz
11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm a fan. He'd be a good fit in Minny ;-) lol

wtf? I dont get it

KnicksorBust
11-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Why would you assume coming off the bench might be helping instead of hurting him?

No player makes another so I didn't expect any off the cliff downfall but I do worry about how easy he is to gameplan for in a playoff series. I think thats what its going to take for people to start taking him seriously which sadly wont be the case for awhile.

The only evidence people had on Anderson was pre-D12 with the Nets. Not very impressive. With D12 he was a great 2nd-3rd option. And post-D12 he was horrific in the playoffs. What were people supposed to think?

Chronz
11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
The only evidence people had on Anderson was pre-D12 with the Nets. Not very impressive. With D12 he was a great 2nd-3rd option. And post-D12 he was horrific in the playoffs. What were people supposed to think?

That it was a playoff series. What about all the minutes he played without Dwight during the REGULAR SEASON throughout their tenure together?

What evidence would they have that a player is so dependent on another? Ever? I mean we've seen stars and role players alike struggle in the playoffs. Thats the nature of small sample sizes and possibly a great gameplan. Its why I worry about him long term but as a regular season player, I think hes a bargain.

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I was kind of upset when Ryan Anderson went to the Hornets this season. That team can't really play him to his full potential as a shooter, because they already have a power forward who's the man on the team.
Next to a defensive-minded center like Dwight Howard was a good position for Anderson, with the center patrolling the middle and Anderson scoring on the perimeter. The Hornets would do well to use him in a trade package to bring in a better point guard, shooting guard or small forward. Start planning for the eventuality that Eric Gordon won't work out.

Chronz
11-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Call me crazy but I like Anderson and the Brow together, seems like it makes use of AD's versatility.

Chronz
11-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Who would you guys say is the teams best player anyways? Its odd but I think Ryan Anderson could be it despite coming off the bench.

KnicksorBust
11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Who would you guys say is the teams best player anyways? Its odd but I think Ryan Anderson could be it despite coming off the bench.

Gotta be AD no?

Tysons_Beard
11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
i had no idea he rebounded

ManRam
11-18-2012, 02:44 PM
He was top 15 in the NBA last season in 3 pointers made (#1), offensive rebounds (#6), FT%, TS%, eFG%, offensive rebounding rate, TO%, Offensive rating (#4), offensive win shares (#6), win shares (#9) and WS/48 (#9). He obviously is a great offensive player. He's not an elite all-around rebounder, but I do think he's an elite offensive rebounder. Most of those categories were categories that he was equally as strong in the year before, so it's hardly flukish (he actually had better TS% and eFG% in 2010-2011). There's been little drop off this year too.

Basically, he does a lot of things well...and is a tremendous scoring threat. It always surprises me how under the radar he is to an extent.

People just think that he's a high volume shooter, which he is, but he's so much more.

Gram
11-18-2012, 03:00 PM
wtf? I dont get it

Cause's he's white...

Anji
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Wish he was Knick. He was a ten boards a game guy in college and shot is sooo deadly from 3.

There are about 20 power forwards I wish were Knicks because AMRI is so one dimensional. :sigh:

Baller1
11-18-2012, 04:16 PM

In my opinion, Anderson is easily the best player on NO.

5ass
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
In my opinion, Anderson is easily the best player on NO.

easily?
you do realize davis is putting up 20-10-3 per 36 min?

Chronz
11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Gotta be AD no?

Prolly