PDA

View Full Version : Lakers eyeing Josh Smith for Pau Gasol

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21018749/report-lakers-interested-in-josh-smith-hawks-reluctant-to-trade-power-forward

Personally I think this is a mistake. Gasols size and shooting (not to mention unselfishness) really gives the Lakers a potential added dimension).

Smith is talented but a bad fit. Inconsistent outside shooting, and no one can tell if he accepts being the fourth option on offense.

Keep Gasol.

Edit: changed my mind, before all the "OP is an idiot" comments arise.

yaswaggin
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
It improves their defense tremendously

Howard/Smith front court is nasty

Also it would reunite Dwight with one of his former teammates and friend in Josh Smith.

The cons though are that smith is not as good of a rebounder and like you said cant shoot. His post game and skills are also not par with pau either

StarvingKnick22
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
No Amare? :cry:

Heediot
11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Probably Gasol & Filler/Pick for Smith & Korver

Korver/Smith/Howard front line vs. Artest/Gasol/Howard

Smith's defense could replace Ronny's and Korver provides an outside shooter.
Ron comes off the bench because a Artest-Smith-Howard front line provides little range and bad spacing.

yaswaggin
11-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Smith makes much more sense

Dwight isn't gonna resign with old gasol, kobe, and Nash

You need young pieces to build with aka josh and Dwight

Lakers4life08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Lakers can find way better players in 2014 free agents....and now Gasol still better that Smith

netsgiantsyanks
i don't see it coming to fruition.

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Smith is probably a better fit in D'Antoni's system, but Gasols shooting and passing is more compatible with Dwights athleticism and finishing around the rim.

Jamison however is a shooting PF, perhaps I should retract my earlier statement. But pairing Gasol and Dwight gets you two nice high percentage half court options

Tough one. I might have to retract my earlier statement.

StarvingKnick22
11-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Smith makes much more sense

Dwight isn't gonna resign with old gasol, kobe, and Nash

You need young pieces to build with aka josh and Dwight

Obviously. I just want to get rid of him.

yaswaggin
11-17-2012, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=netsgiantsyanks;24357300]i don't see it coming to fruition.[/QUOTE

Supposively hawks don't want to do the trade

Can't blame them, gasol isn't worth josh smith even though smith has a F shot selection

DanG
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Smith fits better in the new system. Smith is more athletic, he can run, he can defend, but still I don't see this happening.

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Perhaps it DOES make sense. Gasol will allow Horford to shift to his NATURAL PF position. This could help both LA and ATL.

Allright, this trade may make sense after all. Please don't make it happen :p

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Smith would fill in the void left by Odom seamlessly. He is Odom with more defense basically.

Swashcuff
11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Smith is probably a better fit in D'Antoni's system, but Gasols shooting and passing is more compatible with Dwights athleticism and finishing around the rim.

Jamison however is a shooting PF, perhaps I should retract my earlier statement. But pairing Gasol and Dwight gets you two nice high percentage half court options

Smith is one of the few PFs that can fill Pau's shoes in terms of passing ability.

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Smith is one of the few PFs that can fill Pau's shoes in terms of passing ability.

Smiths passing is different from Gasol. Smith passes from face up situations, Gasol is more adept passing from the post. It's still a different dynamic, but in D]'Antoni's system, passing on the move is probably a better fit.

So admittedly, Josh Smith is a better fit. Still sad if Gasol goes, Laker fans have given him a lot of **** over the years, and undeservedly so. He was the last piece that helped Kobe to two more titles.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
lol.. lakers would be stupid to do this.

Heediot
11-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Jamison, would fit nicely as a stretch 4 next to Howard. Maybe trade Gasol for a shooter who can defend at the 3.

LakersIn5
11-17-2012, 10:34 AM
NO! just let gasol expire and sign a big FA in 2014

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Smith fits better in the new system. Smith is more athletic, he can run, he can defend, but still I don't see this happening.

... why does everyone think fast break oppurtunities will happen all the time?

in the half court, how is smith better than gasol, on the pick and rolls, can josh smith be relied upon to consistently make a 16-20 footer?
where will josh smith be in the half court?

with gasol, the spacing for the lakers on offense is really beneficial. i really hope this trade happens, its gonna be funny to see things get little more heated in LA

kbtwofour
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think they would trade for Smith and blow up their future cap space.

Mave1002
11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Smith would fill in the void left by Odom seamlessly. He is Odom with more defense basically.

Yeah sure. Coz he can play a little point like LO did.

www.NOTOJOSHSMITH.com

I Rock Shaqs
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21018749/report-lakers-interested-in-josh-smith-hawks-reluctant-to-trade-power-forward

Personally I think this is a mistake. Gasols size and shooting (not to mention unselfishness) really gives the Lakers a potential added dimension).

Smith is talented but a bad fit. Inconsistent outside shooting, and no one can tell if he accepts being the fourth option on offense.

Keep Gasol.

Edit: changed my mind, before all the "OP is an idiot" comments arise.

The fact that you made a thread and then changed your mind completely because of how other people would think of you makes you seem more of an idiot to me.

RLundi
11-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I hate it for the Lakers.

theheatles
11-17-2012, 10:52 AM
This isn't good for the Lakers, but it's good in order to keep Dwight. Dwight is really a team cancer.

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM
This isn't good for the Lakers, but it's good in order to keep Dwight. Dwight is really a team cancer.

:pity:

No, he's a primadonna, but not as big as the 2 guys that you have in South Beach, with one of them having a 1 hr ESPN show of where he wanted to go.

SOme people just use that "c" word so loosely but don't understand the meaning of that word. :facepalm:

DaLakerz Rulz
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Yea Dwight has been creating nothing but problems for the Lakers so far. Man I wish we had kept Bynum...

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2012, 11:01 AM
This would be a great trade for Atlanta, not so great for LAL.

LAL needs to STOP thinking about trading Pau and realize they have one of the most talented and versatile PF in the league, and what's more, he plays center very well too!

FAWK!!! DO NOT TRADE PAU!!!!! HE IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YoungOne
11-17-2012, 11:02 AM
why should the hawks do that? get rid of jj's contract to take on gasol's`?

PraiseJesus
11-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Doe anyone else think that JOsh Smith would bu awful in Dantonis system??

If u cant shoot u wont play

kbtwofour
11-17-2012, 11:13 AM
why should the hawks do that? get rid of jj's contract to take on gasol's`?

1. Smooth is not going to re-sign after this season. Why not trade him when you still have control and he still has some value?

2. Gasol has a big contract, but its only for an extra year. His contract can be very valuable next season if they want to acquire some players. They can trade him to a team that is trying to clear cap space or use Gasol in a 3 way trade.

3. Why do you want someone on your team that does not want to be there and does not want to come back?

rythym
11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
The guy with the most hops for the guy with the most flops?
No thanks.

Smoove is hardcore in all aspects (inside 18) P.G. is, well, just PG

RaJAxTWa
11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
three way trade?

Nets Receive: Pau

Hawks Receive: Hump and 1st round draft pick from nets and lakers

Lakers Recieve : Josh

kbtwofour
11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
The best compliment player for Dwight used to play for the Lakers and now plays for the Clippers.

Odom would've been a very good fit with Dwight. He can score in the paint, defend, rebound, pass, has range, etc.

Too bad he got fat and lost his motivation to be a good player. :mad:

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
The best compliment player for Dwight used to play for the Lakers and now plays for the Clippers.

Odom would've been a very good fit with Dwight. He can score in the paint, defend, rebound, pass, has range, etc.

Too bad he got fat and lost his motivation to be a good player. :mad:

Give him a break... his wife is threatening the guy with divorce :-(

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
well you cant keep a kardashian if you're not famous a superstar, nd it looks like Odom isnt a star anymore.

NYY 26 to 7
11-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Smith is a much much better fit in D'Antoni's offense.

netsgiantsyanks
11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
three way trade?

will never happen.

RaJAxTWa
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
will never happen.

i mean instead of the draft picks to make it more reasonable...you add MarShon Brooks...Hump and Shon will get it done in that deal

Heediot
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Bargnani & Fields for Gasol when Fields is available for Trade.

Raps reduce financial burden for a year. Ross gets more playing time. Re-sign Calderone for 1 year to play with Pau (Spanish connection). Clear cap space for 2014.

Lakers get a D'antonio favourite in Fields (fits his system as well) and a stretch 4 to play along Howard. They also get younger and deeper (Fields/Artest off the bench).

Hellcrooner
11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
This trade woudl be stupid

first off Smith has NO IQ, and NO range, so he would be WORST at stretching the floor.

Then, having to resign him, and KNOWING he would be offered the MAX by teams with capsapce like Dallas if anything as a posion pill, gettng him would KILL lakers chances at getting someone in the 2014 F.A class ( Love, Lebron, Irving and etc etc etc).

Smith is a nice showman but make no mistake he is not the tipe of start to be the second option to dwight in a team that wins rings in the future.

agureghian
11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
three way trade?

Pretty sure the lakres have no more first round picks to trade lol..

Dade County
11-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Howard & Smith are really good friends (reportedly).

This move to me is a, lets keep Dwight happy in Laker land move.

ATX
11-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Having both Smith and Howard shooting FT's at such a dreadfully low clip would be an issue.

dtmagnet
11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
With D'Antoni as the coach it makes sense for the Lakers, don't see how it makes sense for the Hawks though.

dtmagnet
11-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Bargnani & Fields for Gasol when Fields is available for Trade.

Raps reduce financial burden for a year. Ross gets more playing time. Re-sign Calderone for 1 year to play with Pau (Spanish connection). Clear cap space for 2014.

Lakers get a D'antonio favourite in Fields (fits his system as well) and a stretch 4 to play along Howard. They also get younger and deeper (Fields/Artest off the bench).

Love it for the Raptors but can't see Lakers biting on that one.

knicks=love
11-17-2012, 12:13 PM
josh smith isn't even that good though. pau gasol is way better, especially on offense. adding smith to a team with dwight and kobe, he won't get enough touches to be happy.

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 12:14 PM
The fact that you made a thread and then changed your mind completely because of how other people would think of you makes you seem more of an idiot to me.

Point taken. :clap:

Badluck33
11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
This is going to be attempted in order to help keep DH12 in LAL.

Lakers4life08
11-17-2012, 12:20 PM
No thanks,Kevin Love is better and he is coming in 2014 together with K.Irving.....

dee279
11-17-2012, 12:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Smith is a really good passer, more especially in transition.

RLundi
11-17-2012, 12:24 PM
This has virtually no chance of happening btw. Read the article, the Hawks have no interet in an older, more expensive Gasol.

J4KOP99
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
First off, I don't believe the report at all.

Secondly, this would be a pretty dumb move by the Lakers FO. As Hellcrooner detailed earlier in this thread, Josh Smith is pretty overrated in regards to his offensive game and his ability to "stretch" the floor. Pau has him beat in pretty much every category. Yes, Smith would help this team defensively but Smith's contract is up after this year and you know someone out there is willing to over pay for him. I also don't think this has anything to do with Howard, instead, it is just the same old rumor we have been hearing about for 2 years now.

Smith is not the guy.

One trade we talked about in the lakers forum was:

Pau and Blake

for

Bargs, Calderon, and Kleiza

--In all reality though, I highly doubt Pau gets traded. With the way memphis looks, the Lakers are going to need their size to match up with them.

dee279
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Point taken. :clap:

Way to handle the critics guy. Go you!:clap:

ugafan
11-17-2012, 12:34 PM
1. Smooth is not going to re-sign after this season. Why not trade him when you still have control and he still has some value?

You're talking out of your ***. You have nothing to back that up.

Teeboy1487
11-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Smith is so overrated. I would rather Amare over him if Gasol has to be traded. The Lakers would be fools trading Gasol for Smith. Just go after Korver and no one else.

Tony_Starks
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
The media has been dreaming this trade up for over 3 years now. Total make believe, Hawks have no interest........

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-17-2012, 12:46 PM
This is going to be attempted in order to help keep DH12 in LAL.

Steve Nash in D'Antoni's offense for the next 3 yrs, along with Kobe and Pau for the next 2 yrs, and getting the Max and most money with the Lakers next summer and winning a championship this yr are what are going to keep Dwight in LA.

Not his friend Josh Smith, who sucks.

Chronz
11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
This trade would've been great a few years ago, I was doing it on 2K10

ClearSoulForce
11-17-2012, 01:56 PM
So they'll get him for Darius Johnson Odom and a 2nd.

alexander_37
11-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Gasol would be wasted in an 'Antoni offense. Smith fits better but will chuck 3's as usual lmfao I hope the Lakers do this.

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Gasol would be wasted in an 'Antoni offense. Smith fits better but will chuck 3's as usual lmfao I hope the Lakers do this.

Agreed

FriedTofuz
11-17-2012, 02:02 PM
No thanks,Kevin Love is better and he is coming in 2014 together with K.Irving.....

you're stupid if you think the twolves wont offer kevin love a max? same with cleveland. People are so stupid if they think teams will just let their budding star go for a few extra overpaid millions? hell nah

alexander_37
11-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Why do Lakers fans think they can just have any player they want??

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
We can that's why

ClearSoulForce
11-17-2012, 02:05 PM
We can that's why

Kobe rode Shaq's coat tails, Howard is a loser, Gasol is soft.

Did I manage to piss you off?

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Looks like you broke your dental dam

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Looks like you broke your dental dam

From tampon to dental dam. We've been upgrading these days I see? :D

COOLbeans
This is unlikely to happen since dantonis offense needs a stretch 4 that can shoot from the outside, and Smith doesn't fit the bill.

Gaining Korver is good but it's not worth losing the skills that Pau brings to the lineup.

KB-Pau-DH2012
This is unlikely to happen since dantonis offense needs a stretch 4 that can shoot from the outside, and Smith doesn't fit the bill.

Gaining Korver is good but it's not worth losing the skills that Pau brings to the lineup.

Chris Duhon + Devin Ebanks for Korver ???

ThunderousDemon
11-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Is it that time of the month?

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Is it that time of the month?

He needs new tampons

sharqstealth
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Uh oh, here goes the distraction... Gasol will be affected by this!

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
From tampon to dental dam. We've been upgrading these days I see? :D

:D

At least someone here gets it. Some people are so clueless haha

shep33
11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Not a fan of Smith on our team. He's a good player, a very good defensive player, but I don't like him on offense whatsoever.

Problems with Smith:

1) Shot selection is not good at all, he can't hit anything beyond the key, yet he chooses to hoist up long 2's and 3's consistently
2) Pau is a better rebounder and passer. Offensively Pau is far more efficient
3) Biggest worry- How much is Smith worth? I don't want us paying him 60-70 mill because I don't think he's worth it in the long run. Pau expires in a perfect year when we have nobody on the books in 2014

Reject this Danny Ferry

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Uh oh, here goes the distraction... Gasol will be affected by this!

oh noez! :ohno: :speechless:

Quick, give us Amare and donuts for Pau before we change our minds!!!

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
oh noez! :ohno: :speechless:

Quick, give us Amare and donuts for Pau before we change our minds!!!

:laugh:

YoungOne
11-17-2012, 02:33 PM

2. Gasol has a big contract, but its only for an extra year. His contract can be very valuable next season if they want to acquire some players. They can trade him to a team that is trying to clear cap space or use Gasol in a 3 way trade.

3. Why do you want someone on your team that does not want to be there and does not want to come back?

3rd part is pure speculation and I assume there are better deals out there if they try to trade smith

KnicksorBust
11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Offensively they'd overnight become a lot closer to those Phoenix teams. Smith plays the Marion role and Dwight plays the Amar'e PnR role.

*Silver&Black*
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Lakers need to find a 3rd team because Hawks want draft picks, young guys, and expirings. Also Devin Harris could be added for all I care.

Stunner
11-17-2012, 02:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b7bfgqn Would this work ? no

Sactown
11-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Lol it's a dead give away that it's not going to happen by the evenness of the trade... Lakers Rape teams, not give them decent deals..

Tysons_Beard
11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
woah....

mrblisterdundee
11-17-2012, 03:07 PM
This is one of those trades that's great for the Lakers and crappy for the other team. What scares me is that Atlanta might actually think it's a good enough idea.
A front court of Dwight Howard (26), Josh Smith (26) and Metta World Peace would be insanely good defensively. Smith, with his athleticism, would do great in a Mike D'Antoni system.
It would be a good for Atlanta to make room for Al Horford (26) at the power forward position, but there are better trades out there than those that give Pau Gasol (32) back. Why trade a guy headed for his prime for a guy headed toward his twilight years?

*Silver&Black*
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
This is one of those trades that's great for the Lakers and crappy for the other team. What scares me is that Atlanta might actually think it's a good enough idea.

If alot of people would read, they don't. This article is about the Hawks not wanting this trade. People see headlines and the word Lakers, and think a deal is happening. Not every team in the league says yes to them.

We are obviously have cap space set, getting rid of older, bigger contracts for a reason. Gasol helps none of that. This is why I believe a 3rd team should take Gasol and we get a 1st this year from that team + expirings, and maybe Lakers 1st (which will be a very late pick).

Lakers get Smith (maybe Harris too if you want. A back-up for both guards spots.). 3rd team gets Gasol (Houston maybe?). Hawks get expirings for cap space still, 2 draft picks to put with it's other 2, and we can see what Teague/Horford can do for a year.

Gritz
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Yea right. The Lakers aren't going to want to pay him this off season and his shot selection is just as bad as Artest's

STL Don
11-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I'd be very surprised to see a deal go down in the early going of the season.
Once Nash comes back, Gasol will see more touches and have more plays created for him. A point guard he's never had the opportunity to play with. With his skill set, you should see his numbers improve.

Now if a trade did happen, we'd have to try and grab one of their pg's along with Korver or Morrow to solidify our bench.

kobebabe
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Why do we even want him??? He will want to be paid a fortune and i don't think he is worth that much. LEts keep Gasol until we can find a deal that makes much more sense.

Atl Bill
11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
**** aint happenin. why would we trade to take on a player who doesn't fit our team. Even "if" josh walks its better to get that pick then to trade for gasol who would add salary and stump growth for the future of our team.

justinnum1
11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Yea right. The Lakers aren't going to want to pay him this off season and his shot selection is just as bad as Artest's
worse. smith is not the stretch 4 LA needs.

Ebbs
11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Honestly I think this deal will happen. But this could go either way. Smith could derail this team or make them unbeatable if he accepts his role and attacks the basket.

RipCity32
11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
I dont know about Smith because once his athleticism starts to fade out in a couple of years he just going to be a horrible contract.

Mr_Jones
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I love Pau. But he doesnt have any presence on the court anymore. Defensively, he gets pushed around way too much, and his shooting, which is SOO RAVED ABOUT, is very sporadic. He isnt how he was even a few years ago. It sucks because he's an awesome guy with nice abdominals, but he is very aggravating sometimes.

shep33
11-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Smith is going to be a bad contract in two or three years. Not worth it for LA.

Plus Pau becomes a huge expiring next year. We can either trade him for a bunch of pieces then, or let his contract run out, then sign him at a discounted rate (Hellcrooner mentioned this important tid-bit).

MintBerryCrunch
11-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Please no :cry:

MintBerryCrunch
11-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I love Pau. But he doesnt have any presence on the court anymore. Defensively, he gets pushed around way too much, and his shooting, which is SOO RAVED ABOUT, is very sporadic. He isnt how he was even a few years ago. It sucks because he's an awesome guy with nice abdominals, but he is very aggravating sometimes.

:eyebrow:

Chill_Will_24
11-17-2012, 04:25 PM
He does not want out. This is just the Lakers leaking stuff in hopes that Smith will demand a trade to them. They are not saying it but i am not so sure they are too confident that Dwight will resign

topdog
11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Perhaps it DOES make sense. Gasol will allow Horford to shift to his NATURAL PF position. This could help both LA and ATL.

Allright, this trade may make sense after all. Please don't make it happen :p

I thought the Hawks had brought Pachulia into the starting 5 this year in order for Horford to play the 4 and Smith the 3.

I don't see any reason the Hawks do this trade.

JayW_1023
11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Way to handle the critics guy. Go you!:clap:

Of course, I'm the only one who needs more time to think things through. ;)

As a Spurs fan I hope this trade won't happen.

jchase3
11-17-2012, 04:28 PM

.................what?

TyrionLannister
11-17-2012, 04:34 PM
If Smith falls in line on defense and attacking the basket, and they also net Korver (to make salaries match) as a shooter, then I like it for the Lakers.

Chill_Will_24
11-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Auto correct issue i hope?

idrinkpepsi
11-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Hasn't this been a rumor for awhile?

Yunqn
11-17-2012, 04:42 PM
This can make te dantoni system great ..u got players who pride themselves on defense without coaching .. If the game slows down in the playoffs the become the best defensive team..

They will need a 3rd team bu i dont see how this doesnt make sense.. The hawks can push for the playoffs with horford & gasol in the front and he has 2-3yrs left and still plays like a 20&10 guy

Hawkeye15
11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
bad trade for the Lakers, therefore I am all for it.

shep33
11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
I like the trade more for Atlanta than i do for the Lakers. I actually hate it for the Lakers, want no part of Smith. Horford at the 4 with Pau at the 5 would be devastating out east. I understand that they want picks and young players, but it isn't a bad 2nd option.

Gasol, Horford, Zaza, and Ivan is a pretty good 4-5 rotations. I think Ferry is hoping that he gets CP3 or Dwight, but I don't think there is any chance of CP3 leaving, and IF Dwight were to leave, why would he choose a rebuilding Hawks team to say the Rockets who already have Harden?

The benefit to the Hawks is they get a massive expiring in Pau's deal for the biggest FA class we've seen in a while (player options included): LBJ, Wade, Kobe, Iggy, Monta, Dirk, Zbo, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, , OJ Mayo,Bosh, Stat, Melo, Tony Parker, John Wall, Kyle Lowry, Eric Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Mario Chalmers...Paul George and Evan Turner have QO's, Thabo Sefolosha, JR Smith, Favors has a QO, Bargs, Bogut, Gortat.... a bunch more guys with QO's and team options.

Now I'm not saying that the big name guys are going to leave (LBJ, Wade, etc.) but even if you take them out, that's still a nice FA class. Some teams are going to be hit with OKC-like situations. I don't know how the Clips will afford to keep Bledsoe once CP3, Blake, Crawford, and DeAndre's deals are added up. Does Washington continue with John Wall?

Honestly, it's Pau's massive expiring in a year where the FA market is huge and we have nobody under contract that makes me say no to Smith more so than anything else. I don't like him for the Lakers at all with his skill set, but even more I don't want us to pay him close to a max because he isn't worth it. He'll be a bad contract once his athleticism wears off

GSRaider
11-17-2012, 04:50 PM
i like it for the Lakers... they get younger, faster, more athletic... if the deal goes down, its clear that theyre looking towards the future... and i wouldnt be surprised if Artest and even Nash (even tho they just picked him up) and yes, Kobe got dealt...

Mr_Jones
11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
i like it for the Lakers... they get younger, faster, more athletic... if the deal goes down, its clear that theyre looking towards the future... and i wouldnt be surprised if Artest and even Nash (even tho they just picked him up) and yes, Kobe got dealt...

They are keeping everyone named Kobe, Dwight, and Nash. So FIRST OFF, **** YA ***** AND THE CLICK YOU CLAIM, WEST SIDE WHEN WE RIDE, COME EQUIPPED WITH GAME. YOU CLAIM TO BE A PLAYA BUT I ****ED YOUR WIFE, MESS WITH BAD BOYS, ****** ****ED FOR LIFE. :horse::rock::k::ouch:

JNA17
11-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Personally I think this is a mistake. Gasols size and shooting

I know you made an edit but I want to stop right there. While Smith is not exactly a good shooter by any means, Gasol on the other hand hasn't been that much better this season. :(

reffahead
11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Not happening captain. Gasol makes 19 million a season, no, nope, nada. Me and Chief Keek don't like.

If Houston makes the playoffs we get their pick, our own pick may be top 10. With our otherworldly cap space, we are in great shape.

Houston would be a better fit for Pau. They have T. Jones who favors Josh Smith.

KrunchyGoodness
11-17-2012, 07:00 PM
No. They need the cap space for Dwight, Lebron, and CP3 in 2 years...

yaswaggin
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Lebron isn't going to LA :laugh2:

DanG
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
... why does everyone think fast break oppurtunities will happen all the time?

in the half court, how is smith better than gasol, on the pick and rolls, can josh smith be relied upon to consistently make a 16-20 footer?
where will josh smith be in the half court?

with gasol, the spacing for the lakers on offense is really beneficial. i really hope this trade happens, its gonna be funny to see things get little more heated in LA

Pau is a better mid-range shooter, but he doesn't have a consistant jumper either.

With Smith you won't be seeing guys like Landry, Aldridge, Millsap etc score consistantly 20-30 points against us.

We all know Nash sucks defensively. Guys like Westbrook, Rondo, Parker can't attack the basket so easily if you have two very good help defenders Smith and Howard waiting there.

Smith/Korver for Pau+Filler.

Good things with this trade:

1) We get a needed shooter who fits perfectly with the new system.
2) We get a good athletic Power Forward who is a good defender and passer.
3) We get younger.
4) Smith and Dwight are two very good friends which would make Dwight want to stay in LA.

Bad things:
1) Smith isn't a very high IQ player
2) Smith isn't a good shooter

IMO this is a decent trade idea.

Atl Bill
11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
why would we trade korver to you guys? LOL
He is starting in our lineup, u'd get a guy off the bench. This whole thread is bs plz stop calling for the trade. THE HAWKS CLEARLY DONT WANT TRASH and to get raped in the deal. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN LAKERS FANs. PLZ STOP THIS IS TOOOO ANNOYING.

shep33
11-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd say about 75-80% of Laker fans in our Forum don't want anything to do with Smith.

Smith makes us worse. Now and in the future.

gotoHcarolina52
11-17-2012, 07:48 PM
why would we trade korver to you guys? LOL
He is starting in our lineup, u'd get a guy off the bench. This whole thread is bs plz stop calling for the trade. THE HAWKS CLEARLY DONT WANT TRASH and to get raped in the deal. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN LAKERS FANs. PLZ STOP THIS IS TOOOO ANNOYING.

:laugh:

xxplayerxx23
11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
WOuld be a bad trade for LA. Smith doesn't spread the floor, is inneffect very overrted man 2 man defender. I wouldnt like it at all.

LakersA's49ers
11-17-2012, 07:53 PM
A j-smoove/howard frontcourt would be fastbreak heaven for steve nash. If they throw in Morrow or Korver, the rest of the NBA will be on Higher Alert

xxplayerxx23
11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Pau for Smith, Atlanta wins the trade. Isnt smith a FA soon?

ManRam
11-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I think that's a bad trade for both parties

IDunknown
11-17-2012, 08:05 PM
.................what?

Didn't you read what it says under his name?

knicks=love
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
WOuld be a bad trade for LA. Smith doesn't spread the floor, is inneffect very overrted man 2 man defender. I wouldnt like it at all.

i MeMbR w3n I uSe 2 TaLk LyK dIs

BaddNewz
11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Gasols jumpshot is good enough for D'Antoni's HALF court offense. But when it comes down to the running JSmoove is better fit for the offense. Plus Josh Smith gives them another athletic big for the pick and roll. I say pull the trigger.

THE MTL
11-17-2012, 08:54 PM
No, the Lakers need Amare. Perfect fit for their system! lol

mrblisterdundee
11-17-2012, 08:58 PM
I think the Lakers would do better to eye Paul Milsap. You saw the guy knocking down threes and banging in the post, right?

Losoway
11-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Smith is way better then pau . That would be scary defensively

xxplayerxx23
11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
How is smith better then Pau? :pity:

xxplayerxx23
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
i MeMbR w3n I uSe 2 TaLk LyK dIs

I hate you