PDA

View Full Version : Source: Reyes/Buehrle "received verbal assurances they would not be traded"

gotoHcarolina52
11-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Miami Marlins fans are not the only ones feeling betrayed by ownership’s decision to break up the club.

Shortstop Jose Reyes and left-hander Mark Buehrle, two of the five Marlins headed to Toronto in a pending blockbuster, are upset that the team broke verbal promises to them regarding trades, according to major-league sources.

The Marlins do not award no-trade clauses, but club officials, while recruiting Reyes and Buerhle as free agents last offseason, assured both players that they would not be moved, sources said.

Buehrle knew the Marlins’ history of dumping high-priced players, and it concerned him, according to a friend. Team president David Samson, however, told both Buehrle and his wife, Jamie, that the team was committed to a long-term vision, sources said.

The Buehrles have two children — a son, Braden, 5, and a daughter, Brooklyn, 3. They also own a 2-year-old pit bull, Slater. The province of Ontario, where Toronto is located, bans pit bulls.

Jamie, sources said, was emotional in a conversation that she had with Samson after learning of the trade Tuesday. Samson had initiated contact with the Buehrles to inform them that a deal was imminent.

“I spoke to Mark Buerhle. He said he was sorry things didn’t work out,” Samson said in an interview with 790TheTicket, a radio station in Miami. “I said, ‘I’m as sorry as you that things didn’t work out.’”

Samson did not respond to a request to comment on the specifics of this story. Neither did Buerhle’s agent, Jeff Berry.

A source close to Reyes, asked if the shortstop also received verbal assurances from the Marlins that he would not be traded, responded, “The answer is yes. A vehement yes.”

Buerhle, 33, rejected a three-year offer from the Washington Nationals last offseason to sign a four-year, $58 million contract with the Marlins and reunite with his former Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Reyes, 29, agreed to a six-year, $106 million deal, also grabbing the best financial package.

On Saturday, both officially could become Blue Jays.

The 12-player trade between the Marlins and Jays is awaiting commissioner Bud Selig’s approval and the completion of physicals. Reyes had been in Dubai, sources said, and did not return to the U.S. until Thursday night.

The Marlins also signed a third free agent last offseason, awarding a three-year, $27 million contract to closer Heath Bell.

It is not known whether the team also told Bell that he would not be traded. But the reliever, after enduring a miserable season in Miami, probably was not disappointed when the Marlins sent him to the Arizona Diamondbacks last month.

Bell declined to speak about his season with the Marlins in an interview with the Arizona media after the trade, saying he wanted to look ahead to his time with the Diamondbacks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/miami-marlins-told-jose-reyes-mark-buehrle-they-would-not-be-traded-broke-promises-111612

Well, it looks like it'll be tough luck for Reyes and Buehrle in the end as they didn't receive NTCs, but if this report is true, it shows just how big of a joke Loria and Samson are. Clowns. Shysters.

mtf
11-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Well, it looks like it'll be tough luck for Reyes and Buehrle in the end as they didn't receive NTCs, but if this report is true, it shows just how big of a joke Loria and Samson are. Clowns. Shysters.

Yep, I don't know why anyone would trust them but it's Buehrle and Reyes fault for not getting it in writing.

Jeffy25
11-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Know what a verbal-contract is worth?

Nothing when you can save millions

Jeffy25
11-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Especially when Loria is making the promise

If it's a verbal promise not to do it, than why is it a big deal to put a NTC in the contract?

That was a pointless and unbelievable platitude.

metswon69
11-17-2012, 03:06 AM
When you see a franchise having done this type of thing before and they make it policy not to give out no trade clauses maybe it should have signaled something in their minds.

I know they might not care because it's guaranteed money either way but Reyes should have known this was a possibility specifically.

How do you think the Mets acquired his former teammate Carlos Delgado?

sexicano31
11-17-2012, 03:08 AM
The Marlins are ****ed as long as Loria is in charge

SACNYY
11-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Not surprising

More-Than-Most
11-17-2012, 03:14 AM
The Marlins are ****ed as long as Loria is in charge

this...No free agent will even sniff the idea of coming there

CityofTreez
11-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Ha! When **** looks bleak for the Phils...

Prefade...drink...body rock....drink......Jeffy Loria!

Keep it moving Barney Rubble!

Killer Clown
11-17-2012, 03:24 AM
this...No free agent will even sniff the idea of coming there

Exactly. Loria is digging his own grave

sep11ie
11-17-2012, 03:29 AM
I can't believe they have since...

Halladay
11-17-2012, 04:25 AM
These guys are idiots if they believed that. When your contract is that backloaded on a team known for firesales, I'd be more shocked not to get traded.

VladTheImpaler
11-17-2012, 04:39 AM
These guys are idiots if they believed that. When your contract is that backloaded on a team known for firesales, I'd be more shocked not to get traded.

I've never understood why players don't push for front-loaded deals. Some teams might be inflexible to the idea, but even if you take a slight hit on overall value, it's much more valuable in the long run.

Oh, and verbal contracts are 100% legally enforceable. Good luck proving it in court, though.

dballss
11-17-2012, 05:28 AM
thats businezzz

Greedy22
11-17-2012, 05:30 AM

100% agreed, plus I can't believe they all fell for their BS. I just knew they'd have a firesale, just didn't expect it so fast.

NYM-RMCF-DM
11-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Nothing when you can save millions

Exactly. This is not Civil Law where contracts are guided by the words of people.

They should've gotten it in writing.

GrumpyOldMan
11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Verbal assurances will not hold up against a written contract. If not being traded was so important to them they need new agents. It's not as if a NTC is a rare thing.

Twitchy
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Andddddddddd that's why you need to make sure to get everything in writing.

C-ross12
11-17-2012, 10:23 AM
I feel bad Buehrle can't bring his own dog with. That sucks. But if a NTC is important to you, you should get it in writing. I'd be scratching my head if I we're a free agent talking to a team, and they we're telling me "Hey, listen C-ross12, we really want you. We want you for the long haul, and dont want to deal you. But we can't give you a NTC." ...What? Probably wouldn't believe that guy.

I understand why teams don't want to give out NTC's.

Wrench
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM

Not a god damn thing, stupid if you agree to such a thing.

Fly
11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Looks like Miami will never sign another FA.

netsgiantsyanks
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM
i guess last year was the only year any competent free agent would even fathom the idea of signing with miami.

Ian.
11-17-2012, 10:58 AM
The Marlins don't give out NTC's either. You'd think they'd expect this.

Valleyfella
11-17-2012, 11:01 AM
If not being traded was a major priority to either player they wouldn't have signed. They went to the highest bidder knowing if they got traded their contract went with them. They were both obviously okay with that.

Fly
11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Damn, that really sucks that Buehrle can't bring his dog :(

Aphrum
11-17-2012, 11:45 AM
as an owner of a pitbull, poor Beurhrle and what a stupid ****ing rule

WOwolfOL
11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Their 03 team was largely homegrown, they can do it again.

dtmagnet
11-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Ontario is known for it's Nanny-laws so I'm sorry he can't bring his dog, but this organization treats our players right. The fans and city are going to embrace Reyes and Buehrle as well as all the other players coming in.

SenorGato
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Not in writing in their contracts so not real. If they cared so much they would have forced a no-trade clause or signed with someone who would give them one.

Kelly Gruber
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Honestly some of these players and their wives sicken me. Play wherever you're paid millions of dollars to play for 8 months of the ****ing year then retire before you're 40 and do whatever you want.

My poor pitbull can't come? #proathleteproblems

scottythegreat1
11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Carlos Delgado ALSO got verball assurances, both from Samson AND Loria...a few weeks later, he was in New York playing for the Mets.....

I remember THAT contract, year 1: 4 million, years 2,3,4: 16.5 Million....YEAH You cant tell me something was up.

Florida is a very nice place to play if youre an all-Star, did we mention that Florida has no state income tax, you youll make even more money just for playing with them, and you likely have a home here anyways, so live here all-year around.

BUT......We wont put no trade clauses in writing..but youre not going anywhere, we want to win.

Loria duped the players, he duped Miami-Dade county, the fans, even his own concession employees (as theyre going to be laid off due to poor attendnace)....but if he is ousted or even forced to sell the franchise, HE WINS because the Marlins are WORTH MORE now because of that NEW STADIUM!!!! Miami-Dade County taxpayers paid for it, and Loria walks away with all the money from the inflated worth of the Marlins because it has a new stadium and wont need another one for at least 30 years.

sexicano31
11-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Honestly some of these players and their wives sicken me. Play wherever you're paid millions of dollars to play for 8 months of the ****ing year then retire before you're 40 and do whatever you want.

Well the problem is he didn't want to play for Toronto

Rylinkus
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
There's a reason no trade clauses exist. If you don't want to be traded, demand one. If the team won't give you one, consider going else where.

Rush
11-17-2012, 01:31 PM

I'd be upset as well if my dogs that I love a lot can't be with me in my new house. Pets are part of the family and people get very attached to them. I don't get your attitude problem because people make more money than you and are upset that they can't bring something they love with them. It's not just rich people.

fingerbang
11-17-2012, 01:40 PM
There's a reason no trade clauses exist. If you don't want to be traded, demand one. If the team won't give you one, consider going else where.

This. NTCs are pretty common with high priced free agents. Why the hell would you take someone's word for it? Stupidity.

effen5
11-17-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd seriously wonder what MB would do with his dog....he does a lot of charitable work with dogs. You can always come back to Chicago mark. Coulda used you last year. :(

the_jon
11-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd seriously wonder what MB would do with his dog....he does a lot of charitable work with dogs. You can always come back to Chicago mark. Coulda used you last year. :(
Mark Buerhle and his dog for Chris Sale :D

Kelly Gruber
11-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd be upset as well if my dogs that I love a lot can't be with me in my new house. Pets are part of the family and people get very attached to them. I don't get your attitude problem because people make more money than you and are upset that they can't bring something they love with them. It's not just rich people.

I work on the road and spend more time in hotel rooms and on a laptop then I do w my actual family (including a dog). Why? Because that's what I get paid well to do. When my boss sends me across the country for a month, do I cry about it? No, because it's my job and I get paid to do it. That's life. And I have to do it my whole life, not just till I can't play baseball anymore.

My point is people make bigger sacrifices than this daily and for a fraction of the money. And I'm supposed to care that Jamie Buehrle loves her house in Miami and doesn't want to go to Toronto? I'll tell my 2 year old that next time I watch him cry his eyes out as I leave for a plane.

Kenny
11-17-2012, 02:03 PM
It might work out better for their playing careers though. If the Marlins just traded Josh Johnson because he was on last year of deal then Reyes and Buerhle would still be on Miami but on a 65 win team. Toronto seems to be building a squad to compete.

I actually thought Miami gave up on the season kind of quick. They had a nice first couple months then Stanton goes down and they traded guys like Hanley and Sanchez when they were around .500.

Jamiecballer
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM

if you ask a passionate dog person if the dog is like family they will tell you NO. the dog IS family. clearly you are not one of these people but try to imagine that you are. you might see it differently.

Rush
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I work on the road and spend more time in hotel rooms and on a laptop then I do w my actual family (including a dog). Why? Because that's what I get paid well to do. When my boss sends me across the country for a month, do I cry about it? No, because it's my job and I get paid to do it. That's life. And I have to do it my whole life, not just till I can't play baseball anymore.

My point is people make bigger sacrifices than this daily and for a fraction of the money. And I'm supposed to care that Jamie Buehrle loves her house in Miami and doesn't want to go to Toronto? I'll tell my 2 year old that next time I watch him cry his eyes out as I leave for a plane.

Nobody asked you to care. No one is reslly shoving this in your face to make you feel sorry for them. The Buehrle's probably care as much about finding a place for their dogs as you do about your son when you leave. You obviously feel different and have no sympathy. To each is own then. I know I'd be upset if I was in Buehrle's position because it'd be like losing a part of of the family.

StayOnBoard
11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
if you ask a passionate dog person if the dog is like family they will tell you NO. the dog IS family. clearly you are not one of these people but try to imagine that you are. you might see it differently.

Look above, I believe he already answered that.

Rylinkus
11-17-2012, 02:32 PM

I guess your priorities are different than others. :shrug:

gaughan333
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Then don't live in Ontario. He's not forced to live there and he has plenty of money to fly to wherever allows him to have a pitbull if its that important. Or he can quit and void his contract.

Dol-Fan
11-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Well the problem is he didn't want to play for Toronto

If you don't sign a no-trade clause, you better be prepared for the possibility of playing for any of the 30 teams.

Rylinkus
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Then don't live in Ontario. He's not forced to live there and he has plenty of money to fly to wherever allows him to have a pitbull if its that important. Or he can quit and void his contract.

A few things.

1. I don't think Buehrle has Pitbulls. I believe he has weimaraners. FWIW.

2. Flying places does take time. So when work and home are 3000 miles apart, being able to afford a plane ticket does not mean you don't miss home.

That said, it's on him. Demand a no trade clause. Or sign somewhere that will give you one. Take less to get one. If you don't, you risk being traded.

the_jon
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
A few things.

2. Flying places does take time. So when work and home are 3000 miles apart, being able to afford a plane ticket does not mean you don't miss home.

That said, it's on him. Demand a no trade clause. Or sign somewhere that will give you one. Take less to get one. If you don't, you risk being traded.
So if they're not pitbulls, then wtf is the issue here?

Rush
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM

You don't have to have sympathy for the guy, but can't anyone just understand why he's upset? It's like losing a part of your family. If I was him I'd find a place for them during the season and then bring them to my offseason home when the season is over. But it'd suck to not see them for 7-8 1/2 months out of the year.

gaughan333
11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
You don't have to have sympathy for the guy, but can't anyone just understand why he's upset? It's like losing a part of your family. If I was him I'd find a place for them during the season and then bring them to my offseason home when the season is over. But it'd suck to not see them for 7-8 1/2 months out of the year.

No. If it is this ****ing important don't sign without a no trade clause. He took the most $, which didn't come with one. He made his bed, now sleep in it.

gaughan333
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM
A few things.

Are those illegal in ontario too? If they aren't then none of this matters. If you miss home, quit work. Especially if you are someone like him who almost certainly has enough money to retire.

Rush
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM
A few things.

He may have weimaraners, but he does have one pittbull.

the_jon
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
No I don't understand why he's upset, and I doubt anyone here does either...because he makes 10's of millions of dollars to play a game for 6 months a year and should have gotten a NTC if he didn't want to be moved from where he was.

It's as simple as that. Get a NTC or don't complain when this happens.

It's his own damn fault for being a guillable fool and I don't even want him on the team if he's gonna be a ***** about it.

the_jon
11-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

mavwar53
11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Pujols would have been in Miami last year too if he had taken a verbal promise.

Rylinkus
11-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Are those illegal in ontario too? If they aren't then none of this matters. If you miss home, quit work. Especially if you are someone like him who almost certainly has enough money to retire.

No idea what is, or isn't illegal in Ontario. I simply assumed this was about finding a place to live that had room, and accepted dogs.

And sure, he could retire. Most of us would love to retire in their mid 30s. A simple NTC in his contract would have solved all of this for him.

Rylinkus
11-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Vizslas actually. Don't know where I got weimaraners.

Rush
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Vizslas actually. Don't know where I got weimaraners.

He does have an American staffordshire terrier, which is very similar to a pittbull.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/poor-hound-mark-buehrle-dog-not-welcome-toronto-150208507--mlb.html

I don't think vizslas are a problem if he has one. The whole thing is about how pittbulls are banned in Ontario, and the American Staffordshire Terrier falls under that category, so they have to find a way to deal with it.

jakedajewler
11-17-2012, 03:56 PM

exactly these people are so out of touch with the real world, i'd ****ing play in afghanistan if they paid me a few mil a year

fingerbang
11-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Someone really needs to make a Jose Reyes meme.

Gets traded to a championship caliber team.

Insert Face

Complains about it.

Ian.
11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
exactly these people are so out of touch with the real world, i'd ****ing play in afghanistan if they paid me a few mil a year

But you aren't paid millions. So, you can't say whether or not you'd be the same way.

Just because a person makes good money, doesn't mean they shouldn't be happy.

GodsSon
11-17-2012, 04:03 PM
But you aren't paid millions. So, you can't say whether or not you'd be the same way.

It's just ONE of his dogs, really?

Just have a family member watch them or pay for the best kennel available while the season is ongoing. It's really not that big of a deal.

fingerbang
11-17-2012, 04:03 PM

If you play baseball for a living your goal is supposed to be to win a championship. I question any player that says otherwise. No one should be complaining about being traded to an awesome team.

Jamiecballer
11-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Just have a family member watch them or pay for the best kennel available while the season is ongoing. It's really not that big of a deal.

people value different things... nobody but Mark can say whether it's a big deal.

SpecialFNK
11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
depends on how much someone is attached to their dogs. to some people dogs are like family, but then to others like Michael Vick not so much. FU Vick.
but there are baseball players who have kids they don't get to see much during the season, although maybe that's different if they can still talk to them.

town123
11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Assuming AA doesn't want an unhappy Buehrle, who would want him and what would be a reasonable trade?

Pittz
11-17-2012, 06:08 PM

:laugh2:

abe_froman
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM

it is to him.he's very,very attached to his dogs,he moved to a neighboring county outside of miami-dade just because of they had a dog ban.

it is an issue for him. that you can believe

SenorGato
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Assuming AA doesn't want an unhappy Buehrle, who would want him and what would be a reasonable trade?

I'd imagine any contender would be interested. The deal's short, he's been very consistent, he's always pitched with mediocre velocity/physicality so that's not an issue, he's got plenty of experience, and he's a good clubhouse guy.

Leandres_sf
11-17-2012, 07:26 PM
If this was such a big deal to the players, they should have negotiated a NTC. Money was more important to them at the time then stability. I don't have it in me to feel sorry for guys making this much money. Get over it, you're still playing the game you love.

On the other hand, things are going to get much tougher for Loria and the Marlins organization. Obviously if a player is paid enough, he'll sign with anybody, but it's tough to take Loria at his word. I'd imagine that makes this business pretty tough.

Dol-Fan
11-17-2012, 08:01 PM
If this was such a big deal to the players, they should have negotiated a NTC. Money was more important to them at the time then stability. I don't have it in me to feel sorry for guys making this much money. Get over it, you're still playing the game you love.

On the other hand, things are going to get much tougher for Loria and the Marlins organization. Obviously if a player is paid enough, he'll sign with anybody, but it's tough to take Loria at his word. I'd imagine that makes this business pretty tough.

This is exactly it. If they wanted stability and to have a NTC, make a few million less per year than the millions and millions you're already making and find a stable home that is willing to offer a NTC. Otherwise, recognize that the price you pay for making so much money is some instability in terms of location and be prepared to play for ALL the teams in baseball, not just the ones that suit your preferences.

gmanthree15
11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
People lie all the time, all they had to do was look at their deal and see how backloaded it was and know there was a great chance they could be traded.

Reyes didn't sign with the Marlins because he wanted to play there, he wanted that contract. Marlins were the only team willing to overpay for him based upon production and numbers he will never reach again.

I just wish they were honest, Reyes would have signed with the PLO if they had offered him a 9 figure contract.

effen5
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Do you know how ******** you sound...holy crap...

It's not JUST A DOG to him, its a family member. You really have no idea how attached Mark is to his dogs do you? He is a huge animal activists with his wife and did a lot of things here in Chicago.

Shortly before Christmas, animal control officers in Godfrey, Illinois—a town of about 18,000 just north of St. Louis—found a dog, a female Sheltie mix, wandering the streets. The dog had an arrow sticking from its abdomen. It was clear the dog was in great pain. They took her to Horseshoe Lake Animal Hospital in Collinsville where, in a three-and-a-half-hour operation, her spleen and parts of her intestines, as well as the arrow were removed.

No one knows the circumstances in which the dog—about four years old and 30 pounds, and named Shelby—was injured. Her owners, when contacted, said Shelby had been missing for about six weeks. They then relinquished custody of the dog to Hope Animal Rescues, a nearby animal rescue organization with a no-kill policy.

Shelby needed round-the-clock care. Her expenses grew to nearly $3,000. A couple that regularly volunteers for the rescue organization—Chicago White Sox All-Star pitcher Mark Buehrle and his wife Jamie—offered to foot the bill.

The Buehrles, who own three dogs including one they rescued from a shelter, introduced Sox for Strays, their own pet adoption organization last season. Once a month during the baseball season, they sponsor a pre-game gathering at the Sox’s stadium, U.S. Cellular Field, where they unite shelter animals with fans interested in adoption.

“Mark always says maybe when he retires, we might open a sanctuary or something,” Jamie told the Chicago Tribune.

As for Shelby, she’s healthy and doing fine. Several weeks ago Jeffrey Bray, a St. Louis anesthesiologist, and his wife, Debbie, adopted her. They, too, have a history of rescuing pets from shelters. The first time they and their three children met Shelby, a Hope Animal Rescues executive told the Chicago Sun-Times, “they all got down on the floor with her, loved her and gave her kisses.”

Can’t ask for a better welcome than that.

He did this for a random stray in the middle of no where, how would he feel if he didn't have one of his dogs with him when he went home?!

Pakman
11-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Miami scum.

effen5
11-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I actually thought Mark was going to retire last year before he jumped to Miami. It wouldn't shock me if he decided to retire...he only went to Miami for Ozzie and there really is no connection with him in Toronto.

rcs15
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I actually thought Mark was going to retire last year before he jumped to Miami. It wouldn't shock me if he decided to retire...he only went to Miami for Ozzie and there really is no connection with him in Toronto.

He's not leaving 50 mil on the table, stop

effen5
11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
He's not leaving 50 mil on the table, stop

I honestly don't see why not. He's really not playing for the money anymore, and like I said the only reason he joined Miami was because his family has really close ties with Ozzie.

gmanthree15
11-17-2012, 08:44 PM

I'm pretty sure he only went to Miami because they were offering him 20 million more dollars over the life of his deal than anyone else. Same reason Reyes went to Miami. Or why Heath Bell didn't question why they were giving an above average but not elite reliever double digit millions a season.

Wonder why Pujols didn't sign with Marlins after wanting a NTC while Reyes and Buehrle did? Pujols had other options and other teams to overpay him. They didn't.

Bombtista
11-17-2012, 08:47 PM
of course hes playing for the money! Everyone plays for the damn money. If he left 50 million on the table he would regret it next year. Nevermind when he cant live lavishly anymore when hes 50 +

rcs15
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I honestly don't see why not. He's really not playing for the money anymore, and like I said the only reason he joined Miami was because his family has really close ties with Ozzie.

he went to Miami because they gave him the most money. It's naive to think the 60 mil played secondary to his desire to play for Ozzie Guillen. He wouldn't have done there for 10.

effen5
11-17-2012, 08:52 PM
he went to Miami because they gave him the most money. It's naive to think the 60 mil played secondary to his desire to play for Ozzie Guillen. He wouldn't have done there for 10.

Ozzie was a major factor in his decision. You don't think if the Nats picked up Ozzie last year, there wasn't a chance for Mark to be a Nat right now even in the discrepancy with the salaries?

mtf
11-17-2012, 08:56 PM

Why would he retire at the age of 33 with 3 years remaining on his contract, due to make $11,000,000 in 2013, $18,000,000 in 2014 and $19,000,000 in 2015. Simply because he can't bring his dog with him?

I haven't seen any quotes or complaints from Buehrle, it's all just fan speculation based on stuff written by American reporters.

As for Beuhrle following Ozzie to Miami, is that just more speculation?

effen5
11-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Why would he retire at the age of 33 with 3 years remaining on his contract, due to make $11,000,000 in 2013, $18,000,000 in 2014 and $19,000,000 in 2015. Simply because he can't bring his dog with him?

I haven't seen any quotes or complaints from Buehrle, it's all just fan speculation based on stuff written by American reporters.

And that was my speculation and I said it wouldn't shock me if he did...

rcs15
11-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Ozzie was a major factor in his decision. You don't think if the Nats picked up Ozzie last year, there wasn't a chance for Mark to be a Nat right now even in the discrepancy with the salaries?

It may have been a factor, sure. But I will never believe money isn't the #1 factor in most every contract negotiation.

mtf
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM

And I asked you what your speculation was based on...

hoggin88
11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Buehrle and Reyes are stupid for not negotiating in a NTC.

nirvana235
11-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Sarcasm or stupidity? :confused:

redbird89
11-17-2012, 10:47 PM
IMO, if you sign a contract without a NTC, a promise means nothing.

gotoHcarolina52
11-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Whoever said the Marlins would never be able to sign another high-profile free agent because of this was dead wrong!

They just signed Juan Pierre!!!!!!!!

Archishot
11-17-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for any of these guys.

It's not like they are being asked to shovel coal for 3 years in some south african coal mine or anything.

GodsSon
11-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Do you know how ******** you sound...holy crap...

It's not JUST A DOG to him, its a family member. You really have no idea how attached Mark is to his dogs do you? He is a huge animal activists with his wife and did a lot of things here in Chicago.

He did this for a random stray in the middle of no where, how would he feel if he didn't have one of his dogs with him when he went home?!

Rogers doesn't give a **** how attached he is to his dog, he still has $50 mil left on his deal so he either ponies up and plays, or retires.

You're telling me I'm supposed to feel sorry for someone who's going to earn over $100 mil in his career and is about to join a team that has a legit chance at contention (if everything goes right), all because a dog isn't allowed across the border? North American society has become as soft as marshmallow...

#FirstWorldProblems

Bombtista
11-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Rogers doesn't give a **** how attached he is to his dog, he still has $50 mil left on his deal so he either ponies up and plays, or retires.

You're telling me I'm supposed to feel sorry for someone who's going to earn over $100 mil in his career and is about to join a team that has a legit chance at contention (if everything goes right), all because a dog isn't allowed across the border? North American society has become as soft as marshmallow...

#FirstWorldProblems

Im right with ya man. Tough ***** if you cant bring your dog over the border. You had to live out of the way in Miami with these dogs so hes gunna have to do it again. And probably other cities that have baseball teams.

richiesaurus310
11-18-2012, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=effen5;24361110]Do you know how ******** you sound...holy crap...

Maybe his boy Michael Vick can watch the dog for the season?

Rush
11-18-2012, 02:45 AM
I can agree with you guys on how that was his own fault for not securing a no-trade clause or finding another place to play that will allow his dog and have a secure future. But what you guys aren't understanding is that this dog is a part of his family. You guys may feel different about animals and that's fine, but to some people they love their animals like it's their children. Personally, I know how he feels to an extent because I've had dogs my whole life and would absolutely hate to be without them. Nobody is asking you to feel sorry for them because it was Buehrle's own fault. It's just to see why he is upset is all because he'll have to be away from part of his family.

Halladay
11-18-2012, 04:27 AM

#FirstWorldProblems

I love when bandwagoners join the team! welcome aboard!

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
well they are stupid for beleiving them. its the marlins, of course they were going to trade you

koreancabbage
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
well they are stupid for beleiving them. its the marlins, of course they were going to trade you

surprised you have not come up to Toronto in your checklist!

1-800-STFU
11-19-2012, 09:55 AM

#FirstWorldProblems

It would be funny to see him retire just to spite Toronto. He's talked about early retirement before.

torontosports10
11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
If he wants to retire and lose 48 million dollars, then be my guest. We could use that money on Sanchez or Jackson.

Fact is, no one would leave that much money on the table, and he could be someone that may be flipped, even though I hope not, since I feel her would have a great effect on Romero

Halladay
11-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Safe to say he wants the money. If he had cared more about the dogs than the money you'd think he would have done his research to find out that the dogs are banned in Miami in the first place. Money talks, end of story.

Kelly Gruber
11-19-2012, 10:58 AM
You guys are making way too big a deal about this dog thing. Has Buehrle said a word? No. It's probably already sorted out. He's going to pitch in Toronto get over it.

Halladay
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
You guys are making way too big a deal about this dog thing. Has Buehrle said a word? No. It's probably already sorted out. He's going to pitch in Toronto get over it.

No. It is a big deal. Honestly, look it up. His family takes this very seriously. And he can't say anything yet because the deal isn't official.

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
surprised you have not come up to Toronto in your checklist!

soon. this trade may actually sway me to go this summer since there a chance to blue jays are going to be a very exciting team to watch. Problem thus far has been airfare to toronto has been more expensive than the others we have gone too. i think its down to toronto, KC or cincy this year for the group i do this with

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Safe to say he wants the money. If he had cared more about the dogs than the money you'd think he would have done his research to find out that the dogs are banned in Miami in the first place. Money talks, end of story.

why can't you have pitbulls in onatrio?

DrJamesNaismith
11-19-2012, 12:37 PM
This pitbull thing is absolutely rediculous!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/02/24/ontario-mpp-pitbull-ban-end.html

He'll have no problem bringing his dog here!!! There's about 3 in my neighbourhood that my dog stops to say 'hi' to everyday. It is a non-enforced law. If your pitbull attacks someone, it will be destroyed. That said, if my mutt attacks someone, it too will be destroyed.
Everyone I've seen with one, when asked will say; "it's a stafforshire terrior cross, or an american bulldog cross." Tough to prove the exact breed of a dog, so it's really non-enforceable. The ban was basically done to sooth attack victims, but there's never really been any type of enforcement other than the type that applies to all dogs.
I just hope their ok with their kids being taught the metric system, lol.:facepalm:

StryderSox
11-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Seriously I cant blame the guy if he is upset about the dog thing. Its not like he chose to play in Toronto. His only fault was not getting a no-trade clause in writing. In all seriousness though he isn't going to refuse to pitch in Toronto. Incredible how much of a villain some posters are making him out to be and he hasn't even said anything yet.

PS... What rock have all these Jays fans been hiding under that suddenly decided to show up on these forums? Toronto must be paying all those salaries from the newly generated revenue coming out of the increase in bandwagon club membership fees. (No offense to those that were legit Jays fans on this forum more than 3 weeks ago).

Vampirate
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Seriously I cant blame the guy if he is upset about the dog thing. Its not like he chose to play in Toronto. His only fault was not getting a no-trade clause in writing. In all seriousness though he isn't going to refuse to pitch in Toronto. Incredible how much of a villain some posters are making him out to be and he hasn't even said anything yet.

PS... What rock have all these Jays fans been hiding under that suddenly decided to show up on these forums? Toronto must be paying all those salaries from the newly generated revenue coming out of the increase in bandwagon club membership fees. (No offense to those that were legit Jays fans on this forum more than 3 weeks ago).

There's actually quite a few Blue Jay fans on this site, myself included.

Kelly Gruber
11-19-2012, 12:56 PM
There's actually quite a few Blue Jay fans on this site, myself included.

Ya I actually think the Blue Jays' board is one of the more active team boards on this site...

DrJamesNaismith
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Yes, and in case you hadn't heard, the biggest news in the MLB right now... is this story. If you expected less of a reaction, you must be a horrible forcaster.
It's Toronto, not Tehran. People making big deals about Pit-bull bans, or taxation issues, I would hazard to guess know NOTHING about either. Toronto is like most big cities in the USA, just a bit better.

Kelly Gruber
11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
No. It is a big deal. Honestly, look it up. His family takes this very seriously. And he can't say anything yet because the deal isn't official.

My point is he's a rich athlete, there will be no issue There are many ways around this. Rules are different when you're rich. I know a couple that are well off and moved to Ontario and just had a vet officially change the breed of the dog to one of the legal ones. Vets will do this for money. Also, it has to be enforced for their to be a problem. Are they really going to walk up and give him a ticket realistically? Why bother? With Buerhle and the Jay's money and lawyers, it would be tied up for so long the baseball season will be over and he'll be back in Florida or wherever his dogs are allowed.

He won't mention it because it's likely already taken care of. There are millions of dollars on the line, you really think some stupid dog bylaw is going to hold this all up. The fans have made this into a big deal because the media made it a big deal. I don't expect the Jays or Buerhle to say anything about it.

Besides, if the Buehrle's want to help these breeds of dog so much, they can come to Ontario and make a big stink about it. A lot of other places have turned over their breed-specific legislation and Ontario should do the same.

Rio40
11-19-2012, 01:35 PM
as an owner of a pitbull, poor Beurhrle and what a stupid ****ing rule

Agreed. Any word on what will happen to the dog?

town123
11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Agreed. Any word on what will happen to the dog?

Jays are announcing today that the new team mascot is

PITBULL JAY

benzni
11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
The Marlins are one messed up franchise

BigDFan85
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Someone really needs to make a Jose Reyes meme.

Gets traded to a championship caliber team.

Insert Face

Complains about it.

That's a great idea. Someone should make one when he does get traded to a championship caliber team.

Dol-Fan
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Funny thing is...the Jays forum is the 8th most active team forum here. A lot of us just stick to the Jays forum rather than the MLB forum, but this is pretty big news so, you know, here we are.

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
serieously, why can't you have pitbulls in toronto? i dont get that

miller74
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM

Exactly and also its the club policy to not give out no trade clauses, why do you think that is?

2009mvp
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM

A member of pink hat nation complaining about bandwagon fans? Ha.

mn1170
11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

It probably not so much him and his wife but the 3 young children they have. The dog is probably like another sibling. With all this animal rights and stuff, you would think it wouldnt be a problem. But since it is a pitbull I can understand why from all the stories in the media.

fingerbang
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
That's a great idea. Someone should make one when he does get traded to a championship caliber team.

I don't have them as the favorites but a team with Bautista, Reyes, Johnson, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Morrow, etc, is definitely going to be able to compete for a title.

Rio40
11-19-2012, 05:20 PM
It probably not so much him and his wife but the 3 young children they have. The dog is probably like another sibling. With all this animal rights and stuff, you would think it wouldnt be a problem. But since it is a pitbull I can understand why from all the stories in the media.

Theres nothing wrong with Pits. As long as they are not a product of inbreeding and are taken care of. Bad people take advantages of Pitbulls who are the most loyal breed. A pit will do anything for his owner and if fighting other dogs and violence is what it gets praised for it will do so. They are loyal to a fault but are amazing dogs.

The turning on people and "lock jaw" are a myth.

They just need to be treated right and socialized with other animals.

JermanJaysFan
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
serieously, why can't you have pitbulls in toronto? i dont get that
There was some study done that showed that pitbulls were the cause of like 50% of all dog related attacks and fatalities, as well as something like 90% of attacks on children were unprovoked. That study, combined with a few children in Ontario that were killed by pitbulls in a short period of time created the perfect climate for anti-pitbull legislation.

StryderSox
11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
A member of pink hat nation complaining about bandwagon fans? Ha.

Yeah you right. Lots of people jumping on the Boston bandwagon these days. It just seems funny that the Jays make a big trade and now the main forum is overflowing with Jays fans yet the Rogers Center was empty pretty much all of last year and the 4 or 5 years before it.

Kelly Gruber
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
There was some study done that showed that pitbulls were the cause of like 50% of all dog related attacks and fatalities, as well as something like 90% of attacks on children were unprovoked. That study, combined with a few children in Ontario that were killed by pitbulls in a short period of time created the perfect climate for anti-pitbull legislation.

The big problem with them is when they get loose in groups they will attack as a kind of comraderie or sport. Other dogs do this, but these breeds get particularly aggressive. This is the case most of the time, 2 or 3 of them get loose together and attack.

This becomes a problem when you consider the types of owners these dogs have. If they are allowed to run free and trained to be aggressive there will be problems. If they are taken care of by a responsible pet owner, they are some of the best companions on this planet.

There was a time when pitbulls were the mascot of the American military and considered one of the great family dogs. The breed didn't change, WE did.

It comes down to the owner, not the dog, which is why this law is ridiculous. It has been overturned in a lot of other places, and won't last in Ontario either.

JermanJaysFan
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
The big problem with them is when they get loose in groups they will attack as a kind of comraderie or sport. Other dogs do this, but these breeds get particularly aggressive. This is the case most of the time, 2 or 3 of them get loose together and attack.

This becomes a problem when you consider the types of owners these dogs have. If they are allowed to run free and trained to be aggressive there will be problems. If they are taken care of by a responsible pet owner, they are some of the best companions on this planet.

There was a time when pitbulls were the mascot of the American military and considered one of the great family dogs. The breed didn't change, WE did.

It comes down to the owner, not the dog, which is why this law is ridiculous. It has been overturned in a lot of other places, and won't last in Ontario either.

Yeah, exactly. It was a law enacted quickly to "stop the bleeding" (literally and figuratively). I am sure the ban will be lifted eventually, but wouldn't be surprised if there was always some kind of restrictions/regulations on them (ie. muzzled in some public places).

Vampirate
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Winning cures all, Buehrle, Reyes and JJ won't care if the Blue Jays are winning, make the post season and/or make a deep playoff run.

We'll see if any of that transpires.

Leandres_sf
11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Winning cures all, Buehrle, Reyes and JJ won't care if the Blue Jays are winning, make the post season and/or make a deep playoff run.

We'll see if any of that transpires.

Well, it's not like any of that was happening in Miami.

Vampirate
11-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Yes, but if the owner, you know, added more talent in even small moves, you could be looking at a very different team this year in terms of standings.

Also not having Bell close, and Ozzie manage helps.

It was only 1 season.

SportsAndrew25
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
If there is one thing that comes out this, it will be this: No free agent will ever want to go to the Marlins.

Vampirate
11-22-2012, 08:17 PM
If there is one thing that comes out this, it will be this: No free agent will ever want to go to the Marlins.

Unless the Marlins would offer double more than any other team is offering the free agent.

I will laugh if they do this, then try and do a fire sale only to find out no one wants to trade for the contracts.

northsider
11-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Reyes in the AL seems weird and even more so with a team like Toronto. I have a feeling that's not his kind of place.

Johann
11-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Reyes in the AL seems weird and even more so with a team like Toronto. I have a feeling that's not his kind of place.

What does that even mean?

mtf
11-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Jose Reyes is not American, so his levels of xenophobia are likely much lower than you're assuming.

northsider
11-22-2012, 10:53 PM
What does that even mean?

Exactly what I said???

Jose Reyes is not American, so his levels of xenophobia are likely much lower than you're assuming.

My point was it seemed like Miami was a destination he preferred based on the geographic and the area. He strikes me as that type of player who prefers that type of area IDK?

Doesn't make it true but, this was just my thought.

mtf
11-22-2012, 11:28 PM
My point was it seemed like Miami was a destination he preferred based on the geographic and the area. He strikes me as that type of player who prefers that type of area IDK?

Oh, I didn't understand that when you said "Toronto doesn't seem like his kind of place" that it was actually a commentary on how awesome Miami was. My mistake...

He seems okay with it though. (http://blogimages.thescore.com/djf/files/2012/11/reyescropped.jpg)

Johann
11-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Exactly what I said???

I mean TBay is in the American League, so the league really has little to do with anything.

You don't think he'll fit in well in Toronto? Toronto is one of the more multicultural cities in North America.

No Dominican's on the roster? Projected numbers 1-4 are all Dominican.

Toronto not hot enough in the winter? Well, it's a good thing baseball is played in the summer.

Pfeifer
11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah you right. Lots of people jumping on the Boston bandwagon these days. It just seems funny that the Jays make a big trade and now the main forum is overflowing with Jays fans yet the Rogers Center was empty pretty much all of last year and the 4 or 5 years before it.

One reason for this is that a lot of us are not from Toronto but love the jays. The jays are a team loved by a whole country not just Toronto. I'm logistically closer to the mariners but connect with the jays from my youth. Its a real pleasure that the made the Vancouver Canadians an affiliate because out here we get to connect with jays players before they go back east. British Columbia is actually a hot bed for baseball and has produced some of the best Canadians in the MLB. Hell Ryan Dempster is from Gibsons which is only accessible by ferry and when he was young might have had a population of 500. Point is jays have a lot more fans than attendance shows.

koreancabbage
11-22-2012, 11:58 PM

people keep bringing that up. Don't know how you can say that when each player are upgrades on a team that did better than the Marlins. In addition to E5, Joey Bats, and Lawrie.

mtf
11-22-2012, 11:58 PM
One reason for this is that a lot of us are not from Toronto but love the jays. The jays are a team loved by a whole country not just Toronto. I'm logistically closer to the mariners but connect with the jays from my youth. Its a real pleasure that the made the Vancouver Canadians an affiliate because out here we get to connect with jays players before they go back east. British Columbia is actually a hot bed for baseball and has produced some of the best Canadians in the MLB. Hell Ryan Dempster is from Gibsons which is only accessible by ferry and when he was young might have had a population of 500. Point is jays have a lot more fans than attendance shows.

Yeah, TV ratings were apparently really high for the Jays last year. Attendance tends to parallel the performance and excitement around the team. Last year was a season filled with injuries to almost the entire starting pitching staff and even players like Bautista and Lawrie.

I've heard from the media outlets owned by the same company that owns the team that season ticket sales have gone up significantly since the trade with the Marlins and signing of Cabrera. Fans were just looking to be sold on more than just false hope. Raised expectations (and performance hopefully) translate into raised attendance.

Halladay
11-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Exactly what I said???

Toronto has one of the highest Caribbean populations outside of the Caribbean itself. I'm sure he'll feel right at home here. It's not exactly cold here either in the summer time it's actually too ****ing hot. No, he's not any closer to where he grew up but he spent many years in New York, which is the same distance.

Farsight
11-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Toronto has one of the highest Caribbean populations outside of the Caribbean itself. I'm sure he'll feel right at home here. It's not exactly cold here either in the summer time it's actually too ****ing hot. No, he's not any closer to where he grew up but he spent many years in New York, which is the same distance. Yeah Summer is ridiculously hot, and winter CAN get ridiculously cold. Got to love those summer days were its 52c with humidity!

TheRazorboy
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Got to love those summer days were its 52c with humidity!

Yeah, unless Toronto has recently relocated to Hell I somehow doubt that.

Dol-Fan
11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, unless Toronto has recently relocated to Hell I somehow doubt that.

The last two years we have been regularly in the high 40s with the humidex (48, 49). The highest I can recall myself is 50, but I am across the lake to the south of Toronto.

TheRazorboy
11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
The last two years we have been regularly in the high 40s with the humidex (48, 49). The highest I can recall myself is 50, but I am across the lake to the south of Toronto.

There is an enormous difference between a heat index in the 40s and a base temperature in the low 50s. If I misread the poster and he was referring to a feels like temperature in the low 50s, I still have my doubts but it's slightly less absurd. When he said 52 with humidity I read it as 52 plus humidity and not a 52 heat index.

Dol-Fan
11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
There is an enormous difference between a heat index in the 40s and a base temperature in the low 50s. If I misread the poster and he was referring to a feels like temperature in the low 50s, I still have my doubts but it's slightly less absurd. When he said 52 with humidity I read it as 52 plus humidity and not a 52 heat index.

The way he worded was ambiguous, Windsor, ON has the Ontario record for humidex at 52...so that may have been what he's thinking of...definitely no base temperature in the low 50s but it's very humid in this region due to the great lakes so a low-mid 30s base temperature easily turns into mid-high 40s heat index