PDA

View Full Version : About ZBO and alltime PF Rank if wins a title this year

nyk1985
11-17-2012, 02:17 AM
I was watching the Knicks Grizz game tonight and got to thinking..If Z BO wins a title this year with the grizzlies...where would you guys rank him as an all time PF? I never here his name mentioned in all time rankings. I know hes not top 10 obviously but can you see him creeping into top 25 with a few more seasons of 15-20 ppg 12rpg and a title this year as the best player on his team? After watching him go crazy in the playoffs 2 years a go he is a pretty damn good player. Although he just has one allstar appearance he put up some pretty damn good statistical seasons of 20-23ppg 10-12rpg throughout his career.

Ebbs
11-17-2012, 02:21 AM
He's far enough down the list, that I would have a tough time placing him confidently anywhere without putting in some serious time/research.

Chronz
11-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Prolly alongside Sheed

Blitzbolt
11-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Looking at Love he has to learn from guys like ZBO because Stats don't always mean wins.

It Took him to long to figure it out.

Chronz
11-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Looking at Love he has to learn from guys like ZBO because Stats don't always mean wins.

It Took him to long to figure it out.
How so ?

Cracka2HI!
11-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I really liked Z-Bo when he was a Clipper! Just no way to keep him with Blake.

Blitzbolt
11-17-2012, 02:39 AM
How so ?

More passing playing better D and not ball hawking the ball.And the most important leadership Zbo was always a 20 10 guy but never did the rest.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2012, 02:43 AM
under ( they are not in order)
Mchale, Garnett, Cedric Mawxwell, Lucas, Oakley, Debbuschere, Mcdyess, Stoudamire, Schayes, Mcginnis, Cliff Robinson ( 80s), Barkley, Brand, Bosh, Buck Williams, Derrick Coleman,COnnie Hawkins, Kevin Willis, Danny Manning,Pettit, Elvin hayes, Wes Unseld, Dan roundfield, Horace Grant, Happy Hairston , Dennis Rodman, Rasheed wallace, Bob Love, Larry nance, Schrempf, Sam Perkins, J Oneal, Spencer Haywood,Bob Mcadoo, David thompson, Ac Green, Pau Gasol, Webber, Tisdale, Alvan Adams, Duncan, Mike Mitchell, Otis thorpe, Dirk, Larry Johnson, Shareef Abdur rahim, Cliff Robinson ( 90s) , Calvin Natt, Dan Issel,Karl Malone, TOm Chambers, Sahwn Kemp, Derick Mckey.

And if you are wondering bout some of the names, OUTSTANDING DEFENSE and durability counts too.
And im forgetting some of them.

nyk1985
11-17-2012, 02:48 AM
True, durability does count good list Hellcrooner

I think Z BOs 31 so he still has some years left in him

akagiredsuns
11-17-2012, 02:54 AM
Already talking about this in November? The season is barely 6 games in. He's not a Top 10 PF.

aztr0
11-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Wins a title? Lol.

nyk1985
11-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Well I know its November and early in the year, was just watching him and thought we hear so many other PF's in the greatest discussion...never really hear ZBO and hes had a similar career statistically to many of those guys we hear...Like I said not top 10 All time for his career Obviously but I think he can be in the 25-30 range with a Ring as the best player (The grizz are playing awesome this year and have a great squad) and several more 20/10 seasons. I think hes on par with Sheed as someone above has mentioned but with a ring and a few more great seasons I think he has a case

Ebbs
11-17-2012, 03:07 AM
Already talking about this in November? The season is barely 6 games in. He's not a Top 10 PF.

All time or right now?

QueensG_718
11-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Hes definately a top 10 pf right now and one of the most underrated players in the league.

heyman321
11-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Prolly alongside Sheed

best sig quote ever

Steelers23_06
11-17-2012, 03:54 AM
This is my friends is an example of why u don't make threads under the influence...smh

Baller1
11-17-2012, 06:31 AM

I hope you're not implying that he's not a top 10 PF right now... Because he 100% is, and is probably a top 5 PF.

bigbeardaboss
11-17-2012, 07:36 AM
I dont know about all time rank but currently I think he is a top 5 PF in the game. Not great defensively but does so much on offense and on the boards that he wears out his opponents.

JasonJohnHorn
11-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Z-Bo is grossly underrated, but the thing that holds him back from a high all-time ranking for me is his passing. He reminds me of Moses Malone in that respect; when you give either the ball, it is to score. Neither Moses or ZBo were or are good at making plays for other players. There are a lot of 20/10 power forwards out there through out the history of the game; Larry Nance and Otis Thorpe come to mind, that will likely never even make the HOF let alone get a top 25 ranking. I'd be more inclined to throw Z-Bo in with Larry Nance and Otis Thorpe (both of whom I think were better defenders and better passers than Z-Bo), than I would to rank him with; Duncan, Garnett Karl Malone and Barkley (and C-Webb). Those guys all knew how to pass the ball.

MetroMan
11-17-2012, 08:16 AM
hypothetical question to the max

THE MTL
11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I hate how ppl OVERRATE championships. So if he manages to win a ring, all of a sudden he is a top 10 PF of alltime right? Lets just forget about his lack of defense, passing, etc.

Lets just say that ZBo is no where close to point where his all-time PF should be discussed

Chronz
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
More passing playing better D and not ball hawking the ball.

But you said its a lesson Love should learn, that stats dont equal wins. But in your example Z-Bo enjoyed his finest seasons (statistically) when he got to Memphis and finally made the All-Star team. So wouldnt the lesson be that stats get you wins+recognition, or more specifically efficient stats?

Im not a fan of just pointing to a single player to determine the entire fate of his team but even this example is flawed wouldn't you say?

And the most important leadership
Hes matured but I disagree on its importance, to me its far more important that hes become more efficient on both ends of the ball. Like if he were to lose that ability but still be a heck of a leader he would basically be the PF version of D-Fish and hes struggling to find a home.

Zbo was always a 20 10 guy but never did the rest.
But hes never been an efficient 20-10.

I think the lesson your trying to hint at is about maximizing possessions by stressing quality over quantity, thus sharing the ball. Because its surely not about stats since his stats have never been better.

Chronz
11-17-2012, 12:53 PM
I hate how ppl OVERRATE championships. So if he manages to win a ring, all of a sudden he is a top 10 PF of alltime right? Lets just forget about his lack of defense, passing, etc.

Lets just say that ZBo is no where close to point where his all-time PF should be discussed

Not top 10, the OP asks if Top-25 out of the realm of possibility.

best sig quote ever

You get that hes joking right? Cuz others didn't quite get it

Chronz
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
under ( they are not in order)
Mchale, Garnett, Cedric Mawxwell, Lucas, Oakley, Debbuschere, Mcdyess, Stoudamire, Schayes, Mcginnis, Cliff Robinson ( 80s), Barkley, Brand, Bosh, Buck Williams, Derrick Coleman,COnnie Hawkins, Kevin Willis, Danny Manning,Pettit, Elvin hayes, Wes Unseld, Dan roundfield, Horace Grant, Happy Hairston , Dennis Rodman, Rasheed wallace, Bob Love, Larry nance, Schrempf, Sam Perkins, J Oneal, Spencer Haywood,Bob Mcadoo, David thompson, Ac Green, Pau Gasol, Webber, Tisdale, Alvan Adams, Duncan, Mike Mitchell, Otis thorpe, Dirk, Larry Johnson, Shareef Abdur rahim, Cliff Robinson ( 90s) , Calvin Natt, Dan Issel,Karl Malone, TOm Chambers, Sahwn Kemp, Derick Mckey.

And if you are wondering bout some of the names, OUTSTANDING DEFENSE and durability counts too.
And im forgetting some of them.
Dice and Durability? :eyebrow:

Tony_Starks
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
However you can get 20 and 10 I'll take it. Z-Bo is no surprise to me he's been putting in work for years its just that once you get a bad rap some people never get over it.......

Hellcrooner
11-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Dice and Durability? :eyebrow:

No , dice and talent.

KnicksorBust
11-17-2012, 01:05 PM
hypothetical question to the max

I'm glad somebody said this. I love hypothetical but this is a perfect example of an unrealistic scenario that isn't worth responding.

I'd rather respond to something absurd like "If Kevin Durant wins the next 5 titles and retires was his career better than LeBron?" because at least that's more possible.

HouRealCoach
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Imagine if LMA won a championship... He'd be better than Tim Duncan

But this thread is stretching way too much lol

ClearSoulForce
11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Wins a title? Lol.

The Knicks winning a title makes sense though right?

oballers
11-17-2012, 01:46 PM
If you don't like the question then just change it. How good is ZBO as as a PF? Where does he rank at his position all time and where do you think he'll rank at the end of his career?

First off ZBO has been one of the most underrated players in the NBA throughout his career. Why???

Because on and off for the 1st 8 years or so he has had problems at times in the following areas, commitment, attitude, conditioning, defense, passing and team play. While during that time he has been extremely conistant at scoring and rebounding.

Since he has been with the Grizzlies he has really put in work at all his defficient areas. If he continues to improve in those areas because he is such a domint scorer and rebounderI see no reason why he can't be top 20 all time and depending how things go for him possibly top 15 (would be tough).

Aside from getting older and more mature, I think his Griz coaches have all been great and really much of the credit goes to partnering him with Gasol and Gay.

ClearSoulForce
11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
His resumee isn't the best but if you watched Z-Bo you would know he's a hell of a player. Top 5 today: Dirk, Love, Randolph, Griffin, Bosh/Gasol.

xxplayerxx23
11-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Meh, Id still take Pau and Bosh over ZBo, Love-Dirk-Bosh-Gasol-LMA-Griffin-ZBO

superior
11-17-2012, 02:20 PM
This is my friends is an example of why u don't make threads under the influence...smh

smdh....sound like you the one thats under the influence papo, thats 3rd grade grammar right there

KnicksorBust
11-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I hope he sends Marc Gasol love letters for covering him defensively, feeding him from the high post, and clearing out the lane so he can do the one thing that he does well without getting easily double-teamed.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I hope he sends Marc Gasol love letters for covering him defensively, feeding him from the high post, and clearing out the lane so he can do the one thing that he does well without getting easily double-teamed.

he actually when he was up to resigning and he was going to be a f.a made the f.o promise him they would keep marc and match any offer marc got.

StarvingKnick22
11-17-2012, 03:38 PM
But the Grizzles wont win.

Chronz
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Only if Marc sends him flowers and chocolates. Those 2 are starting to develop that special kind of chemistry. Similar to Odom and Pau a few years back