PDA

View Full Version : Angeles -What to do with Wells.

phil9kap
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Angels and what to do with Vernan Wells. Suggestion: If he does not perform, send him to the "A" ball league, let him ride the bus and if that does not light a fire, encourage him to retire. Then if he does retire, offer him an opportunity for a coaching job in the organization. He might have some skills in that department.

Jeffy25
11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Give him back to Tor

mtf
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Give him back to Tor

Haha please no, in fact we'd appreciate the Angels taking Lind and Buck off our hands too.

sexicano31
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Pretty sure they would have to waive him to send him to A ball, and they would still have to pay him. I believe if he were to retire they would still have to pay him

metswon69
11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Wait till he is in the last year of his deal and buy him out like the Mets did with Jason Bay.

They can defer payments over a few years and it doesn't have to hurt them payroll wise immediately.

nirvana235
11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Vernon Wells + Mike Trout to Toronto for JP Arencibia. ahHA

VladTheImpaler
11-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Wait till he is in the last year of his deal and buy him out like the Mets did with Jason Bay.

They can defer payments over a few years and it doesn't have to hurt them payroll wise immediately.

So, after the 2012 season, basically.

As for the question, let him ride pine next year. He's a pretty good defensive replacement for Trumbo in left. Or, if somehow Trumbo learns third base this offseason(he was hurt last offseason), he's a nice defensive starting left fielder and meh #8 hitter. I'd prefer we find a 3B elsewhere and have Vernon come off the bench, though.

Then you buy him out, simple as that.

MetsFanatic19
11-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Mets did it with Bay, Los Angelas can do it with Wells.

the_jon
11-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Give him back to Tor
I can't even imagine what the Angels would have to throw in to make that work :laugh2:

metswon69
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
So, after the 2012 season, basically.

As for the question, let him ride pine next year. He's a pretty good defensive replacement for Trumbo in left. Or, if somehow Trumbo learns third base this offseason(he was hurt last offseason), he's a nice defensive starting left fielder and meh #8 hitter. I'd prefer we find a 3B elsewhere and have Vernon come off the bench, though.

Then you buy him out, simple as that.

42 million dollars is a lot of money but it's conceivable they could try and work out a buyout with him.

The Mets owed Bay over 20 million dollars between next year's salary and his buyout for 2014.

I say they wait till next year because it's less money to spread out (deferment wise) but it's about what the Angels are willing to do.

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
In order to trade Wells, Trout would have to be part of the deal. Not happening.

mtf
11-16-2012, 11:04 PM
In order to trade Wells, Trout would have to be part of the deal. Not happening.

Not really. The Angels would just have to absorb most of the cash left on his contract the way the Yankees did with AJ Burnett when they traded him to the Pirates last year.

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Not really. The Angels would just have to absorb most of the cash left on his contract the way the Yankees did with AJ Burnett when they traded him to the Pirates last year.

Yes, but Burnett is being payed less than Wells is and has performed better than wells since Wells was traded. Also, Burnett was one of the reasons why the Yankees won that championship.

Wells is batting pretty much like Ramsus was, but is much older, being paid like a superstar and without Ramsus Defence.

Wells is a bench player with a supestar contract.

Burnett had value, Wells has none.

mtf
11-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Yes, but Burnett is being payed less than Wells is and has performed better than wells since Wells was traded. Also, Burnett was one of the reasons why the Yankees won that championship.

Wells is batting pretty much like Ramsus was, but is much older, being paid like a superstar and without Ramsus Defence.

Wells is a bench player with a supestar contract.

Burnett had value, Wells has none.

You don't have to convince me that Wells isn't playing well, and I'm not sure what relevance Burnett's performance AFTER he was traded has to do with this scenario seeing as how he was awful leading up to it, but I was merely citing a precedent for one team absorbing the majority of a contract in order to get rid of a player.

Wells low value is tied to more than just his performance (or lack thereof), it's mostly based on the money owed to him in his ridiculous contract.

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 11:33 PM
You don't have to convince me that Wells isn't playing well, and I'm not sure what relevance Burnett's performance AFTER he was traded has to do with this scenario seeing as how he was awful leading up to it, but I was merely citing a precedent for one team absorbing the majority of a contract in order to get rid of a player.

Wells low value is tied to more than just his performance (or lack thereof), it's mostly based on the money owed to him in his ridiculous contract.

Well simply put Burnett had WAY more trade value before he was traded to the Pirates than Wells does now. Plain and simple.

mtf
11-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Well simply put Burnett had WAY more trade value before he was traded to the Pirates than Wells does now. Plain and simple.

Revisionist history. Burnett is older than Wells, and age is a bigger deal for a pitcher than a position player. Burnett also pitched horribly for 2 straight seasons with ERA's over 5 before getting traded. He's at least as much of a liability as a player (not a contract) as Wells, if not more. Again, the point here was that someone would probably be willing to put Wells out there if the angels absorbed the majority of the money owed to Wells.

The 6-4-3
11-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Angels and what to do with Vernan Wells. Suggestion: If he does not perform, send him to the "A" ball league, let him ride the bus and if that does not light a fire, encourage him to retire. Then if he does retire, offer him an opportunity for a coaching job in the organization. He might have some skills in that department.

Riight, so hey Vernon, you absolutely lost all respectability on the field, so why don't you become a coach for us?

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Revisionist history. Burnett is older than Wells, and age is a bigger deal for a pitcher than a position player. Burnett also pitched horribly for 2 straight seasons with ERA's over 5 before getting traded. He's at least as much of a liability as a player (not a contract) as Wells, if not more. Again, the point here was that someone would probably be willing to put Wells out there if the angels absorbed the majority of the money owed to Wells.

Burnett also was one of the big reasons why the Yanks won that championship. That really holds weight. Players have gotten fat contracts because of post season performance.

Burnett has actually had a season in New York in which he has pitched well.

Wells has contributed nothing towards the Angels.

mtf
11-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Burnett also was one of the big reasons why the Yanks won that championship. That really holds weight. Players have gotten fat contracts because of post season performance.

Burnett has actually had a season in New York in which he has pitched well.

Wells has contributed nothing towards the Angels.

There's just no reasoning with you. Both were black holes on the field of play, and Burnett had more downside due to age and position. Your argument about Burnett having a World Series ring is irrelevant also.

The point was that someone would be willing to take their contract if enough money were to be packaged with them.

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 11:59 PM
There's just no reasoning with you. Both were black holes on the field of play, and Burnett had more downside due to age and position. Your argument about Burnett having a World Series ring is irrelevant also.

The point was that someone would be willing to take their contract if enough money were to be packaged with them.

I disagree. The post season plays a major factor when teams aquire players rightfully or not.

Also Burnett had a better track record than Wells does (post Toronto).

But just to put it out there, are the Angels willing to eat up around 17-19 million dollars a year to trade Wells? That's probably the amount they would need to eat up in order to trade him.

SpecialFNK
11-17-2012, 01:57 AM
but but we all learned something yesterday with Migual Cabrera winning the MVP. HR are important. Wells had 25 HR in 2011 in 131 games, and 11 HR in 2012 in 77 games. Wells MUST be valuable.

can you factor in just bad luck?
.214 BABIP with 12.3 LD% in 2011.
.226 BABIP with 15.7 LD% in 2012.

still making good contact.
80.8 in 2011 and 85.4 in 2012.

he's not striking out a lot.
16.3 K% in 2011 and 13.4 K% in 2012.

Young2Kinsler
11-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Best thing they can do...hope he retires

Jeffy25
11-17-2012, 02:36 AM

By the way, he can't be sent to the minors

Halladay
11-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Yeah sure, we'll take him back...you just gotta give us all your top prospects. And pay for 85% of the remaining money on his deal.

natepro
11-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Just release him. I'm sick of looking at him.

I need to find a job where I can be paid an absurd amount of money to literally be of negative value to the people paying me. It'd be amazing.

Halladay
11-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Just release him. I'm sick of looking at him.

I need to find a job where I can be paid an absurd amount of money to literally be of negative value to the people paying me. It'd be amazing.

Have you considered politics? I hear the Republican party is looking for someone new.

GrumpyOldMan
11-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Give him back to Tor

No problem. Just pay 80% of his salary and throw in Kendrys Morales and you can have Rasmus. You would have a great defensive outfield and Trumbo can DH since he cant have 1B. Morales can be our DH and Wells can serve beer to fans in the 500 level at Rogers Centre.

natepro
11-17-2012, 09:38 AM
No problem. Just pay 80% of his salary and throw in Kendrys Morales and you can have Rasmus. You would have a great defensive outfield and Trumbo can DH since he cant have 1B. Morales can be our DH and Wells can serve beer to fans in the 500 level at Rogers Centre.

If one of Trumbo or Morales is leaving, it should and, I think, will be Trumbo. He's just terrible.

R. Johnson#3
11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
It's a shame he got that big contract. He does so much off the field for the community and is an all around good guy. It's just impossible to like him because of his mediocre numbers alongside that massive contract. 20 million per now. What a joke.

hugepatsfan
11-17-2012, 12:17 PM

AJ Burnett had some upside if you were getting him on low money w/ the Yankees eating most of the deal. Pitching is hard to find.

Wells on the other hand, is just not a very good player. Teams can find outfield bats with more upside pretty easily IMO.

theslick1
11-17-2012, 12:44 PM
The Burnett comparisons are way off. The Pirates picked up half of what was left on his contract, so clearly he had value of about 8M a year. If Wells was a free agent, what would he get on the open market? 2M? Wells is owed about 50M so the best the Angels could do is pick up 90% of his salary and hope some team would be willing to pick up the other 5M for 2 years.

scottythegreat1
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
The Angels took on his contract....I say TOO BAD!!!!!

I really dont know what Tony Reagins was thinking when he decided to take on that massive contract. I know the Angels were looking to upgrade the team, so STILL that was a tough contract to take on.

Paul Godfrey (then Blue Jays President) pulled a Jeffrey Loria on that contract...and the Angels fell for it....just like the Blue Jays are going to fall victim of Jose Reyes in a few years when they have to deal with this issue then.

popo85
11-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I say hire Tonya Hardings ex and let him get the job done.

Bigred91
11-17-2012, 02:45 PM
The Angels took on his contract....I say TOO BAD!!!!!

I really dont know what Tony Reagins was thinking when he decided to take on that massive contract. I know the Angels were looking to upgrade the team, so STILL that was a tough contract to take on.

Paul Godfrey (then Blue Jays President) pulled a Jeffrey Loria on that contract...and the Angels fell for it....just like the Blue Jays are going to fall victim of Jose Reyes in a few years when they have to deal with this issue then.

No problem. If Reyes falls apart in a couple of years, the Jays will just dump him on the Angels again.

Skizzik
11-17-2012, 02:56 PM

I'd argue the exact opposite. I can think of more pitchers who continued to be at least good in to their late 30s and early 40s than position players. Pitchers have to mantain the ability to throw...while velocity declines, if they have good movement, they can still fool batters.

Position players lose bat speed, range, running speed, throwing power, etc. Age is going to hit a position player far harder than a pitcher.

FWBrodie
11-17-2012, 04:59 PM
LOL Angles.

natepro
11-18-2012, 07:30 AM
No problem. If Reyes falls apart in a couple of years, the Jays will just dump him on the Angels again.

Unfortunately for the Jays, we're under new management.

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
dodgers will problaly take him

LeoYankee
11-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok, it's been 38 posts......I'll throw out the Arod for Wells swap...

rkelly7
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Vernon Wells + Mike Trout to Toronto for JP Arencibia. ahHA

I don't know if the Jays would take that

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GA16Angels
11-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok, it's been 38 posts......I'll throw out the Arod for Wells swap...

No thanks. Two years of Vernon Wells is not as bad as five years of Alex Rodriguez.

nithanyo
11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Injuries have slowed him down but im expecting a big season from him. He is one of my all time favorite players so im a little biased.

If healthy you can get .280 30 hr from him