PDA

View Full Version : Jays sign Melky

bagwell368
11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
ha - per 98.5

AI
11-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Interesting. 2 years/$16M, pretty good deal for them.

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I was interested in Cabrera based on what happened with our other spots. But, oh well.

wolf82
11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Well one good thing is if the sox come in last place again.....atleast they will get another top pick lol j/k

But, seriously though this was a good pick up for the Jays. If he does what Braun did last year after the steroid scandal this is a steal for them.

I do have a funny feeling something big is going to happen soon...the sox are being WAY too quiet right now.

BradytoGronkTD
11-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Jays are pouncing at the best time. This is great for them and baseball.

StayOnBoard
11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys - nice to see classy comments - we're pretty pleased too. It's also still a very long offseason yet, no one wins "paper championships". Boston and New York are definitely going to make some moves, and the O's have money to spend.... AL East is now the most competitive division in all of baseball.

Station 13
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Quite a steal for Toronto. Would rather have Cabrera on 2/16M than Ross 2/14.

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Quite a steal for Toronto. Would rather have Cabrera on 2/16M than Ross 2/14.

More speed, better defense and switch hits. I couldn't have said it better. Also get rid of that bum in your sig. Lol at Darnell McDonald.

Dol-Fan
11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
This division is gonna be so fun this year. Let's make sure the O's don't get lucky again - off year for the division resulted in a crappy team making the playoffs :)

mzg32
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Good pick up.

I just hope we do not respond singing a FA for stupid money and more than 3 years... Stick to the plan Ben!!!

papipapsmanny
11-16-2012, 04:06 PM
**** that i would have never given him a 2 year deal or 8 million per year.

The guy was a good 1 year stop gap at 4-5 million, he could easily revert back to being a 1 WAR player

Majesty17
11-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Damn. I was hoping for us to sign him. Good pick up for the Jays. I was really hoping to get him on a 1 year deal to trade him at the deadline when his value is restored :/

SirHizz
11-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Not a must-sign, but wtf is Toronto doing? This team could be deadly...even more if they somehow find a way to get another good SP.

I certainly thought Melky was gonna take a 1 year deal. But 2/16 isn't too bad for him.

Still enough options (some good - some bad) available, the Sox are gonna do their stuff. I am not concerned, but Toronto's gotta be done at some point.

StryderSox
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Good pick up.

I just hope we do not respond singing a FA for stupid money and more than 3 years... Stick to the plan Ben!!!

I think FO is resolved to the fact that we arent contending this year and will use it as a rebuilding year to see what we really have in terms of prospects that are ready for MLB experience. That being said I would still like to see a couple of big moves to bring in a young stud of two that we can build around.

Majesty17
11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I think FO is resolved to the fact that we arent contending this year and will use it as a rebuilding year to see what we really have in terms of prospects that are ready for MLB experience. That being said I would still like to see a couple of big moves to bring in a young stud of two that we can build around.

I dont know if you missed it but BC spoke on the radio yesterday saying that they plan on fielding a contending team with one of the highest payrolls in baseball. We only have $80M-$90M payroll right now. Knowing what we know now from BC, that means we have about $80M to spend for this year alone. I would like to give some of the young guys a shot this year as much as anyone but they're going to go about their business the way they always have. They wont field a team of scrubs and rooks and embrace the suck for the whole year. We arent the Marlins.

BostonSports96
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
meh...

LuckyLuke2
11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
At least it's nice to see Sox fans who are classy.

To be honest I was expecting some bashing to be going on but yeah thanks for the kind words.

I like this signing for Toronto, I think Cabrera will do well in Toronto and it's a good contract.

Think about how Farrell feels now for leaving to you guys? Im kidding.

EEasyA
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Good move by the jays.also majesty you right.I don't get why my fellow red sox fans want us to field a team of all prospects and still win.also we don't win an award for lowest payroll for a team don't get this stick with the plan Ben keep saying this we are not the pirates,astros or royals.We can't suck for three more years while the yankees or jays make the playoffs are in Boston.The pressure is too much to win.We already sucked for four seasons.imagine sucking for three more while the only prospects that pans out.The only thing this leads to is ben,Farrell getting fired

bagwell368
11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I dont know if you missed it but BC spoke on the radio yesterday saying that they plan on fielding a contending team with one of the highest payrolls in baseball. We only have $80M-$90M payroll right now. Knowing what we know now from BC, that means we have about $80M to spend for this year alone. I would like to give some of the young guys a shot this year as much as anyone but they're going to go about their business the way they always have. They wont field a team of scrubs and rooks and embrace the suck for the whole year. We arent the Marlins.

That's really too bad.

This FA class blows. Unless we are getting brutal contracts like Reyes, it's going to cost big time in specs.

Stop feeding the monster. The Cubs are going to win a WS before we do if this idiocy is put into action...

bagwell368
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Good move by the jays.also majesty you right.I don't get why my fellow red sox fans want us to field a team of all prospects and still win.also we don't win an award for lowest payroll for a team don't get this stick with the plan Ben keep saying this we are not the pirates,astros or royals.We can't suck for three more years while the yankees or jays make the playoffs are in Boston.The pressure is too much to win.We already sucked for four seasons.imagine sucking for three more while the only prospects that pans out.The only thing this leads to is ben,Farrell getting fired

The exact sort of thinking I am 100% against. Will lead to huge budget teams with very spotty results and the farm constantly stripped to make up for holes in the team with declining and overpaid players.

That's the Yankees game and we do not have the money they have. I don't want to be an inferior Yankee organization. I want the Sox to be smarter.

They say family connections is what bring success in Philly. Money in NY, and brains in Boston. Let's keep it that way.

Nomar
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Toronto is legit

Majesty17
11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
That's really too bad.

This FA class blows. Unless we are getting brutal contracts like Reyes, it's going to cost big time in specs.

Stop feeding the monster. The Cubs are going to win a WS before we do if this idiocy is put into action...

See I dont see it as all that bad. We know our specs better than anyone else. We know who's going to grow to be something and who's not. We dont need to hold on to every single spec we have in our farm because honestly that would be a waste. Yes, hang on to our top specs that are going to contribute, but use some of our high rated (not top) specs for trades, and fill the rest of the holes with external FA options. They can field a contending team with one or two ok trades coupled with a few short term FA signings And not lose our top specs.

It's what this ownership has done in the past and it's what they're going to continue to do in the future there is no changing that.

However we do need a young power hitter i.e. ManRam in his heyday such as Stanton to build around. I really hope that they see that as a some what of a priority. Only case I would get rid of top specs would be for a Young Future MVP/Cy Young Talent.

Also I do think the Cubs will win a WS before we do even if this idiocy stops.

-Lavigne43-
11-16-2012, 06:24 PM
The Jays are going to be a boom or bust team. Melky could be good or could be bad, you don't really know. He's not going to repeat 2012 though, he had a ridiculous babip, 2011 is probably what the Jays hope/expect.

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
The Jays are going to be a boom or bust team. Melky could be good or could be bad, you don't really know. He's not going to repeat 2012 though, he had a ridiculous babip, 2011 is probably what the Jays hope/expect.

Toronto Blue Jays fan here.

All I want from Melky is to hit north of .270 and to get on base over a .350 clip.

Not enormous expectations I think.

There's plenty of power in the Jays lineup to hit him home imo.

But regardless Melky should be a clear upgrade over Davis in left.

Nomar
11-16-2012, 06:57 PM

All I want from Melky is to hit north of .270 and to get on base over a .350 clip.

doesnt walk enough for that

-Lavigne43-
11-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Yeah. If he hits .270 his OBP will be around .320 if his BB rates follow his career norm. He's was great last year because he hit .346, and good the last two years because his SLG% jumped to .470 in 2011 and .516 last year. The question is if he started using PED's in 2011 and whether that explains his big jump in power numbers. Before 2011 he was a mediocre to bad player.

EwanSellars
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
the jays are looking really good hopefully they can knock the yanks out of a playoff spot this year and looks like we can get a decent draft pick next year too. btw good pick up for the jays they needed leftfield help and got someone that could be pretty solid in melky we'll have to wait and see

EEasyA
11-16-2012, 07:30 PM
The exact sort of thinking I am 100% against. Will lead to huge budget teams with very spotty results and the farm constantly stripped to make up for holes in the team with declining and overpaid players.

That's the Yankees game and we do not have the money they have. I don't want to be an inferior Yankee organization. I want the Sox to be smarter.

They say family connections is what bring success in Philly. Money in NY, and brains in Boston. Let's keep it that way.

We all love our home grown prospects making it to the big leagues but sometimes that's not the case.Veterans win you ball games.I'm going to go to another sport to make my case.Why do you think Danny Ainge Resigned Kg and Paul Pierce.Because they win you games and Championships.Rookies/Prospects give you good highlights,Hustle but when it comes during crunch time,veterans usually come through over rookies.Honestly would sign Hamilton this Xb,Jackie bradley only gets us to a 79 team.We all wanted ainge to blow up the team but he knows better.It only gets you fired.I'm sure Ben knows that.

By the time they fully develop,all our core guys like pedey,ortiz are too old or declining get me wrong love all our prospects but let's face reality.Not all of them are going to make it.some might even be busts. only sure thing is Xander.

bradyoverrated
11-16-2012, 08:22 PM

:clap::D:clap:

AMEN!!!!!

bradyoverrated
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
quick question:

Is this the worst free-agent class in the past 15 years?

I might just venture to say it is.

-Lavigne43-
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
It makes sense to load up on short term veteran contracts at the right positions. Odds are obviously against this team making the playoffs next year, but crazier things have happened in baseball. At this time last year it was more unrealistic for the Orioles to make the postseason this year then it is for this team to make the postseason next year. If they're out of it midseason trade the players that are doing well, like how they should have traded Ross last year.

Don't block someone like Kalish though, who they really should play to find out if he can be a starter.

todu82
11-16-2012, 08:35 PM
The Jays certainly are making a splash thus far this off-season. Hopefully Boston does something to keep up with them soon.

bagwell368
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
See I dont see it as all that bad. We know our specs better than anyone else. We know who's going to grow to be something and who's not. We dont need to hold on to every single spec we have in our farm because honestly that would be a waste.

Is this serious? There isn't a team in the Majors that knows their specs future 100%. Get out of here with this...

bagwell368
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM

With or without PEDS?

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 11:02 PM
With or without PEDS?

That's without PEDs, with PEDs he's gonna hit .350 with 30 homers :P ;) :laugh2:

torontosports10
11-17-2012, 08:45 PM
This and next years FA crop are both brutal, so unless teams trade for talent, they will be overpaying average players in FA.

Just wait and see what players like Upton, E.Jackson, and Bourn sign for. All good players, but will be making a ton.

masTOR_shake1
11-19-2012, 06:05 PM
With or without PEDS?

you mad bro? / http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/30/ortiz.steroids/index.html

Towelie
11-19-2012, 11:51 PM
So wait, a career .338 OBP and Jays fans are expecting .350? :laugh: ok.

SoxFan101NlB
11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
I believe the trade that went down is good for the Jays for this year and Maybe next year, but mark my words...the Jays will be at the bottom of the AL east in no less than 3 years...right at the time of the rise from the ashes of the red sox! The marlins suck and will suck for years. They didnt even get the jays top prospects in the trade...keep hitting reset Marlins...lets see how many times they will do it in the next 10 years. Next time its going to be Stanton...to the MFRS

StayOnBoard
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I believe the trade that went down is good for the Jays for this year and Maybe next year, but mark my words...the Jays will be at the bottom of the AL east in no less than 3 years...right at the time of the rise from the ashes of the red sox! The marlins suck and will suck for years. They didnt even get the jays top prospects in the trade...keep hitting reset Marlins...lets see how many times they will do it in the next 10 years. Next time its going to be Stanton...to the MFRS

Heh.. ironic.... I said that about Boston too (and was laughed at).

You could be very right - every team has a shelf life and Toronto should at least do <something> before we say they're actually legit. Until I see a first place finish, it's all "paper championships" which mean absolutely sweet **** all.

Nomar
11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
This is the year for Toronto who knows what Johnson's market will be next year. Time to shine

taffi101
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Heh.. ironic.... I said that about Boston too (and was laughed at).

You could be very right - every team has a shelf life and Toronto should at least do <something> before we say they're actually legit. Until I see a first place finish, it's all "paper championships" which mean absolutely sweet **** all.

True, very true.

The Sox "won the off-season" in 2010 and then went on to ***** the bed during the regular season. But they( The Jays) have put themselves in a much better position to win then in the past handful of seasons.

Should be much more life at the ballpark this season though.....

Any truth to the rumors of the Jays trying to get a clause put into Provincial By-Law about Pitbulls? ( Apparently Mark Buehrle owns one?)

Someone told me that yesterday...not sure of any accuracy to it however...

ah nuts
11-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I belive the trade that went down is good for the Jays for this year and Maybe next year, but mark my words...the Jays will be at the bottom of the AL east in no less than 3 years...right at the time of the rise from the ashes of the red sox! The marlins suck and will suck for years. They didnt even get the jays top prospects in the trade...keep hitting reset Marlins...lets see how many times they will do it in the next 10 years. Next time its going to be Stanton...to the MFRS

if it brings us the World series champions within the next 2 years then so be it.
But I doubt the jays will hit the bottom again, AA is thee best GM with an allowable payroll of 130-150miilon.

(plus you guys have JF :puke: )

ben_watson_84
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Farrell isn't going to make us the bottom feeders of the division. Anthopoulos is a genius though.

wolf82
11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
if it brings us the World series champions within the next 2 years then so be it.
But I doubt the jays will hit the bottom again, AA is thee best GM with an allowable payroll of 130-150miilon.

(plus you guys have JF :puke: )

I'll give AA credit for making some good moves. But the best GM with that payroll? Thats a stretch. I mean look at the Marlins. They had these players on their team, and came in last place. How are these players gonna handle the AL East when they couldn't help their team out of the NL basement?

Nomar
11-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I dont get the AA hype. When you cant even be in the running for the wild card yet, you cant call someone the best GM.