PDA

View Full Version : Possible to win MVP and ROY in the same year?

He115ing
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Will it ever be possible for a rookie to win ROY award and become an MVP all in the same season and lead a team to a championship or will this only be possible in the NBA 2K games?

JordansBulls
11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Wilt and Unseld won MVP and ROY same year.

asandhu23
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM
It is possible but it is very hard.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Wilt and Unseld won MVP and ROY same year.

I think when Wilt and Unseld played it was a very different time in the NBA. Do you think it would be possible today? I think that if college players were forced to play 4 years before going to the NBA the chances of this would increase.

LakersIn5
11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I think Wilt and Unseld won MVP and ROY
same year.

Chronz
11-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Never happening again

JiffyMix88
11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I Think Wilt and Unseld won MVP and ROY
same year.

asandhu23
11-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Never happening again

you never know, man. who knows if there is a random Joe Smith in the future who ends up dominating the NBA?

Chronz
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
you never know, man. who knows if there is a random Joe Smith in the future who ends up dominating the NBA?
Im predicting it right now.

They will end up being drafted by a bad team and unable to win MVP because of it or on a good team where their inexperience will render them afterthoughts. Kids enter younger, league is deeper (limiting the potential for a huge turnaround IMO) and the last time they did it was a mistake that I doubt the league ever makes again.

Swashcuff
11-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Given the fact that two Cs also did so if there is a possible dominant two way C down the road I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. I surely won't say never happening again.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I think it might be possible, but again it would have to be an experienced player, I don't think it would ever be a kid who is drafted from HS or first year after college.

MintBerryCrunch
11-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure, but I think wilt and unseld won MVP and ROY the same year

kyubi256
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Not until Lebron James retires

Hulk6
11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
pretty sure unseld and wilt did it

Heediot
11-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Top rookies/prospects come in too young to dominate with the best from the get go. There is a chance but less than 10 percent.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I think it is possible, though highly unlikely.

Wilt was a very special player, Wes was more of a special situation.

I think the voting these days is more geared toward who is winning the most, but if a rookie came in and helped a woeful lottery team get into the post season, and he put up All-Star numbers, there is room for it too happen.

Think about LBJ for example. He helped that roster go from 17 wins to 35 wins. Now, imagine that he had helped them into the playoffs? 6 more wins would have done it. If LBJ can make that much of an impact in his rookie year, coming straight out of high-school, imagine what he could have done if he had waited until coming in after his 4th year of college like Tim Duncan. He averaged: 30 points, 8 rebounds 7 assists 2 steals and 1 block a game at 23, which would have been his rookie season. If, with his rookie numbers, he could help Cleveland improve by almost 20 wins, imagine what he would have been able to do if he came in at 23?

Now, this is why it's unlikely. Most players are coming in after one year of college, and the few guys who do stay all four years, usually aren't that talented. But there are players who come into the league and play at an All-Star level from day one. Special players that come along once or twice in a generation. And if they were to land on a team that only won 17 games and took them to the playoffs, I think voters would be inclined to vote for that player, especially if they are bored for voting for LBJ, or there aren't any clear cut MVPs that season. Voters love to vote for a guy who turns a team around. That's how Nash got it.

Will it happen? On a long enough time line, I'd say yes... will it happen in the next 10 years? Likely not.

But look a guys like Hakeem, and Robinson, Ewing and Shaq, and to a lesser extent Alonzo Mourning. These guys came into the league and dominated immediately. In a league that is weak at the center position, if a guy as talented or as dominating as; Robinson, Shaq and Hakeem came into the league today, not only would they be able to put up numbers that rival LBJ, but they would help turn a lottery team into a playoff team.

Avenged
11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Happened with my created 2k player. Guy is already a legend after his 1st season :rock:

Baller1
11-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Like Swash said, I only see it being possible if there's a dominant two way big man. Then on top of that, their team would likely have to see a 20-30 game turnaround. So it's nearly impossible, but you never know I guess.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I think it is possible, though highly unlikely.

Wilt was a very special player, Wes was more of a special situation.

I think the voting these days is more geared toward who is winning the most, but if a rookie came in and helped a woeful lottery team get into the post season, and he put up All-Star numbers, there is room for it too happen.

Think about LBJ for example. He helped that roster go from 17 wins to 35 wins. Now, imagine that he had helped them into the playoffs? 6 more wins would have done it. If LBJ can make that much of an impact in his rookie year, coming straight out of high-school, imagine what he could have done if he had waited until coming in after his 4th year of college like Tim Duncan. He averaged: 30 points, 8 rebounds 7 assists 2 steals and 1 block a game at 23, which would have been his rookie season. If, with his rookie numbers, he could help Cleveland improve by almost 20 wins, imagine what he would have been able to do if he came in at 23?

Now, this is why it's unlikely. Most players are coming in after one year of college, and the few guys who do stay all four years, usually aren't that talented. But there are players who come into the league and play at an All-Star level from day one. Special players that come along once or twice in a generation. And if they were to land on a team that only won 17 games and took them to the playoffs, I think voters would be inclined to vote for that player, especially if they are bored for voting for LBJ, or there aren't any clear cut MVPs that season. Voters love to vote for a guy who turns a team around. That's how Nash got it.

Will it happen? On a long enough time line, I'd say yes... will it happen in the next 10 years? Likely not.

But look a guys like Hakeem, and Robinson, Ewing and Shaq, and to a lesser extent Alonzo Mourning. These guys came into the league and dominated immediately. In a league that is weak at the center position, if a guy as talented or as dominating as; Robinson, Shaq and Hakeem came into the league today, not only would they be able to put up numbers that rival LBJ, but they would help turn a lottery team into a playoff team.

I agree with you. I think if Lebron had 4 years of college ball under his belt he would have been able to do this.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Happened with my created 2k player. Guy is already a legend after his 1st season :rock:

Lol same for me. ROY and MVP baby! Championship, here I come!

Minimal
11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Possible, but really hard, especially when LeBron is still playing.
Check Blake Griffin for example and his first year, he had all stas to become MVP, just the team wins wasn't enough.
Or there could be some already experienced player coming from europe and just dominating on the team and winning MVP.

John Walls Era
11-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Of course its possible. If shabazz muhammad, jabari parker or Andrew Wiggins comes in and averages 20+ a game and leads their team to a top 4 seed then definitely. But I think its more likely a phenom big man would win it than a wing player.

Chronz
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Thats why I dont think its possible, it took Bron (perhaps the most NBA ready phenom in NBA history) several years before he would become a player who can really tilt a franchise's destiny just by his addition. No player is going to stay in College for that long anymore, it wouldn't be good for their family or their game IMO.

Even looking at a guy like Duncan, he stayed forever and when he came to the NBA his team had a historical turnaround, still didn't win it. Same with D-Rob before him.

Voters want to make sure your legit or at the least give themselves time to see a steady improvement in the players game before they award him. So many politics in the media.

Rockice_8
11-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah very doubtful. Different sport but if Cabrera doesn't win the triple crown I think Trout does it in baseball.

Back to basketball though. It would have to be a crazy year where a kid comes in a averages 20/10 and carries his lottery team to home court advantage in the playoffs. Most likely we won't see it in our lifetime.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Imagine if Bron came into the league at around 22 or 23, physically mature and with college discipline and experience under his belt. He could have done it I think.

MintBerryCrunch
11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Imagine if Bron came into the league at around 22 or 23, physically mature and with college discipline and experience under his belt. He could have done it I think.

Same argument could be made for Kobe ..

Minimal
11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I he would have been drafted by Cavaliers or any other scrub team, he wouldn't.

He115ing
11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Same argument could be made for Kobe ..

Nope, Kobe is not as good.

Kevj77
11-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I think when Wilt and Unseld played it was a very different time in the NBA. Do you think it would be possible today? I think that if college players were forced to play 4 years before going to the NBA the chances of this would increase.

It will be very difficult only spending one year in college is just part of it. Among the voters for MVP there is a kind of unwritten rule that the MVP has to come from a top seeded playoff team. Anyone good enough to be a ROY and MVP in the same year will be drafted by a lottery team.

To win the MVP a rookie player would have to turn a lottery team into a top seed in his first season probably without much of a supporting cast. That is the real problem as I see it.

JasonJohnHorn
11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Thats why I dont think its possible, it took Bron (perhaps the most NBA ready phenom in NBA history) several years before he would become a player who can really tilt a franchise's destiny just by his addition. No player is going to stay in College for that long anymore, it wouldn't be good for their family or their game IMO.

Even looking at a guy like Duncan, he stayed forever and when he came to the NBA his team had a historical turnaround, still didn't win it. Same with D-Rob before him.

Voters want to make sure your legit or at the least give themselves time to see a steady improvement in the players game before they award him. So many politics in the media.

I think with Duncan, it was a case of the Spurs had a turnaround by adding Duncan AND Robinson... everybody knew the Spurs were better than the record that got them the lottery pick, they just didn't have their best player on the court for the entire season.

I'm not saying Duncan would have been able to do it, but he might have been able to do it had he helped a team like the T-Wolves to the same kind of turnaround.

As for D-Rob, you have a great point. He helped that team to a 34-game turnaround... but he also had another first round draft pick added to the team that season in Sean Elliot. David Robinson DID get 2 first place votes that season for the MVP and finished 6th in voting. Magic though, had lead the Lakers to 63 wins that season WITHOUT Kareem... which was actually a 6 game improvement onthe season before WITH Kareem... so MAgic for MVP was a great choice... Barkley and Jordan both had great season to....

I think it might be a matter of what market the player is in. If somebody like Duncan or Robinson, or Shaq had helped NY or LAL to a 34-game improvement, I think the national media would by very willing to vote them in for MVP (and that is who is doing the voting let's not forget, it was likely two sports writers from SA that voted for Robinson in 90). When Magic and Jordan were winning MVPs, EVERYBODY knew who they were... Jordan hadn't even won and NBA title and he already had two videos in the top-ten for rentals at the time (Come Fly With Me and I forget the other one) which was unheard of for a sport video at the time. Not to say Jordan and Magic didn't play well enough to win MVP, they did, but let us be honest in that their celebrity helps out, and guys like Duncan and Robinson, who are a little more quiet in how they approach the game, take a little longer to register with the national media.