PDA

View Full Version : Should Selig veto the trade?

Killer Clown
11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
What do you think? he has to look out for baseball's best interest

MetsFanatic19
11-15-2012, 09:21 PM
No. Both teams wanted to do it, so let it be. If anything, just kill Loria.

2009mvp
11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I find it hilarious that people think killing the trade will somehow solve the Marlins' attendance woes. No one is going to support Loria's team anymore, with Reyes/JJ or not.

DodgerBlue8188
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
If anything the Marlins might have a good shot in 3 years with the talent they are getting right? I doubt the players they are giving away would make a big difference next season.

Jays Claw
The damage has already been done. Do you honestly think Reyes, JJ, and Buerhle would want to continue to play for Loria's team? If they veto the trade, then chances are Loria will find more than one team to dump their salaries on.

Jeeezzz... LET THE JAYS OFF FOR ONCE PEOPLE!

GrumpyOldMan
I find it hilarious that people think killing the trade will somehow solve the Marlins' attendance woes. No one is going to support Loria's team anymore, with Reyes/JJ or not.

Not only that, but let's put their payroll back over $100 000 000. That will help their financial problems. The trade isn't the problem here. The Marlins got some really nice prospects back. The stadium is the problem. Loria and the city council should be ashamed of themselves.

Ktulu
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM

With Reyes and JJ, they'll prob average like 18 or 19 thousand a game. Without them subtract like another 7 thousand. Either way they'll have the lowest attendance, but if the trade goes throught they will literally get NO ONE. I say veto it. Dont make Marlins fans suffer

MetsFanatic19
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM
If anything, this move could help the Marlins.

Ktulu
11-15-2012, 09:34 PM
If anything, this move could help the Marlins.

Not their fanbase.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-15-2012, 09:34 PM
From my understanding, trades didn't have to be fair.

Dmac
11-15-2012, 09:45 PM
He has no reason to veto it. Both teams agreed to it and no rules were broken.

getfoul
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
The trade should go through, but they should start nudging Loria out of baseball.

bagwell368
11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Red Sox lost out on Bando, Blue, and Rudi - because it was against the "good of the game" in the early 70's.

Then 2nd look FA wiped out the signings of Sosa, Wetteland, and Appier for the Sox a few decades later.

Why does this matter? Because the Jays fan base will also be damaged by pulling this deal. Too late, the office of the Comish should have axed it before it was given the green light, or left alone.

I agree Loria must be moved out ASAP.

LakersA's49ers
11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
marlins are the morons screwing up their franchise, so let them go through with it

Killer Clown
11-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Taxpayers in Miami hate the Marlins right now

mtf
11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Taxpayers in Miami hate the Marlins right now

It's kinda their own fault for trusting untrustworthy people.

SpecialFNK
11-15-2012, 10:50 PM
With Reyes and JJ, they'll prob average like 18 or 19 thousand a game. Without them subtract like another 7 thousand. Either way they'll have the lowest attendance, but if the trade goes throught they will literally get NO ONE. I say veto it. Dont make Marlins fans suffer

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree.
the trade was already made. even if it somehow gets vetoed, that's not going to erase it from everyone's mind.
even if this trade is vetoed, I would still bet my left nut that Johnson and maybe Buehrle and/or Reyes are still traded before next season starts.
the Marlins has no reason to hang onto Johnson. he has 1 more year left on his contract, and I would say it's very unlikely he would be resigned/signed by the Marlins again.
the damage has already been done to the fans.
I also don't think the difference would be 7 thousand fans.

sexicano31
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
If he wants to fix anything, get rid of Loria

Ktulu
11-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Remember Sunlife stadium when they would get crowds of under 1,000 people sometimes? Yeah... I dont see much changing from that. #wasteofnewstadiun

Killer Clown
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Stanton deserves better than this garbage team

MotownWebGuy
11-15-2012, 11:54 PM
If Selig vetoes the trade, he may be faced with a Loria bankruptcy that leads to a MLB takeover of the franchise - which results in more debt for MLB, to cover franchise fees and team payroll.

Selig will not go there. Take that to the bank.

More-Than-Most
11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I wish he would and force them to keep and pay the contracts. Horrid ****ing franchise

agureghian
11-16-2012, 12:00 AM
if he vetoes the trade, it makes him look bad and i dont think it changes how marlins fans view the team and ownership... lose/lose situation.

TheRazorboy
11-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Let the trade stand. The contracts didn't suddenly become good once Toronto acquired them. Loria should be vetoed however.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-16-2012, 12:08 AM
I wish he would and force them to keep and pay the contracts. Horrid ****ing franchise

Even better is to allow the trade to go through but the Marlins have to pay the contracts instead of the Jays.

ChrisSabo17
11-16-2012, 12:09 AM
No rules were broken and the marlins got some good pieces back. No one is made this case with the Red Sox Dodgers trade and it was more of a salary dump than this trade. I think people need to realize that this is better for the Marlins. The Jays took on alot of money that in time will help the rebuilding of the Marlins. Plus they got so good pieces back!

Senbonzakura
11-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Seems to me that Toronto has a curse regarding trades not going through or being lop-sided for the opposition.

Ex.
#1 Vince Carter for Crappy 3rd Stringers + An Arrogant Mourning
#2 Jordan vetoes trade that would've sent Chandler to Toronto
#3 This bs now....

lvlheaded
11-16-2012, 12:14 AM
No. The trade was made because both front offices wanted to make it

If Selig cared about the sport, hed take the Marlins away from Loria and sell them to some one who really cared if the team was good or not

masTOR_shake1
11-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Seems to me that Toronto has a curse regarding trades not going through or being lop-sided for the opposition.

Ex.
#1 Vince Carter for Crappy 3rd Stringers + An Arrogant Mourning
#2 Jordan vetoes trade that would've sent Chandler to Toronto
#3 This bs now....

I disagree. yea the raps lost out on carter, but we got his best years and only won a single playoff series. Who cares about chandler? The raps would have been trash even with him.

The blue jays have an excellent history of trades,,getting carter and alomar for the wrold series wins,,getting jose bautista for a scrub,,colby rasmus deal still could be a coup,,brett lawrie for marcum is a landslide win. All of that on top of the fact that this deal will happen.

Zander 77
11-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Two whole pages and no "basketbaseball reasons"?

For shame PSD :pity:

BXbombers951
11-16-2012, 12:36 AM
The damage has already been done. Do you honestly think Reyes, JJ, and Buerhle would want to continue to play for Loria's team? If they veto the trade, then chances are Loria will find more than one team to dump their salaries on.

Agreed. Even if vetoing the trade is a good move for the long term of baseball, you can't do it. The guys won't play and Jays fans will feel screwed. Throw that in with the 1 game playoff blown call and things are looking messy.

scottythegreat1
11-16-2012, 01:01 AM

I know I am a Blue Jays fan (so there is a conflict of interest in this poll), but still, I couldnt have said it better myself.

Everybody knows about this trade, so Miami fans are going to feel betrayed anyways...The Marlins have had 2 fire sales in the past, whats so different about this one?????

By yanking this from Toronto, Youd get some guys in the year 2030 STILL saying that they arent going to Blue Jays games because of this veto...if there is one...People STILL dont go to our games because of 1994.

B BURKE
11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. Being a Toronto sports fan I am tired if losing. Wishing my team would lose to get a good draft pick. This has got to end.
Teams such as the yanks and dodgers ripping off teams in need to cut pay roll, over ax over again. For the love of Toronto let us have one trade go through in our favor.
Roy Halliday anyone?
Vince carter
Tracy McGrady
Shaun green
Chris bosh
Scotty nydiemyer
Tyler seguin + dougie Hamilton

For the love of Pete, let us have Alreast one good team

mtf
11-16-2012, 01:16 AM
It's really embarrassing seeing fellow Toronto fans crying about being the victims of injustice in sports. This trade will be going through, everyone knows it. Even if it didn't go through it would have nothing to do with Toronto, it'd be all about Jeffrey Loria's betrayal of the public trust.

The trade will go through, and Selig's time should be better spent dealing with Loria rather than stalling the trade.

the_jon
11-16-2012, 03:17 AM
It's really embarrassing seeing fellow Toronto fans crying about being the victims of injustice in sports. This trade will be going through, everyone knows it. Even if it didn't go through it would have nothing to do with Toronto, it'd be all about Jeffrey Loria's betrayal of the public trust.

The trade will go through, and Selig's time should be better spent dealing with Loria rather than stalling the trade.
Absolutely agreed. Even fans of other teams seem to be pulling for us. This "why us" stuff is really getting kind of ridiculous.

3mikee_
11-16-2012, 03:52 AM
No... both teams wanted it.. Miami obviously have their reasons.. they should be able to do what they want with their team.

nithanyo
11-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Not gonna lie. If the yankees pulled this trade instead of the jays id be hoping it gets vetoed.

But since its the jays. I will punch a baby if it gets vetoed

Halladay
11-16-2012, 04:46 AM
It would be more of a joke to veto the trade then to allow the trade to happen. The Marlins owner is the problem here, and there's nothing about the trade that's against the rules. People can pretend all they want but the Jays gave up some pretty good young players and prospects here.

Ron!n
11-16-2012, 06:51 AM
As much as Loria is a crook, blame Marlins fans for not showing up even when they got a new stadium and brought in a bunch of exciting players.

The trade shouldn't be vetoed, but Loria needs to go and the Marlins need to get out of Miami.

Halladay
11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
As much as Loria is a crook, blame Marlins fans for not showing up even when they got a new stadium and brought in a bunch of exciting players.

The trade shouldn't be vetoed, but Loria needs to go and the Marlins need to get out of Miami.

Yes. Get another Canadian team please. Montreal or Vancouver. It's insane that we still have teams like the Marlins around when we've got huge cities/fanbases up here ready and willing. Oddly enough, Loria owned the Expos before too. A city in which he also tried to con the taxpayers into building a new stadium which they wouldn't approve of. Just reading the story of Loria and the Expos would make you think Selig wouldn't approve of the man. He's a piece of **** con man.

1908_Cubs
11-16-2012, 08:16 AM
No, but that's because it creates a dangerous precedent. The Marlins need to be stopped, however, in the future, from gutting their team a year after they sign these players, though. I don't blame the fans in Miami for not going. Would you want to go? Your ownership cares little about the on field product, and when they start building it up, they gut it, over and over again. Tough to care about that franchise.

Sad thing is the Marlins just built that new stadium. They're not going anywhere for a long time.

BcEuAbRsS
11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I think it was nearly 90% of the funding for that stadium was public money. Ponzi scheming 101. Promise something you won't deliver....

LanceUpperCut
11-16-2012, 09:12 AM
No, but that's because it creates a dangerous precedent. The Marlins need to be stopped, however, in the future, from gutting their team a year after they sign these players, though. I don't blame the fans in Miami for not going. Would you want to go? Your ownership cares little about the on field product, and when they start building it up, they gut it, over and over again. Tough to care about that franchise.

Sad thing is the Marlins just built that new stadium. They're not going anywhere for a long time.

I do feel for the fans of the Marlins but they had the worse attendance record for a team with a new stadium ever, and they did spent big money last year. I by no means am trying to justify what Loria did he is a crook and should be tar and feathered but Miami just doesn't seem to support there teams for what ever reason.

Valleyfella
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Just a few months ago Selig okayed the Red Sox sending established stars to the Dodgers for prospects and lesser major leaguers in order to get out from under a burdensome payroll. I don't see how this is any different.

leafswin2011
11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
If the MLB is worried about fairness why dont they make it so 1 team cant spend 4 times as much as another team on player salaries...

Trueblue2
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Maybe if their manager didn't say publicly that he loves Fidel Castro a week before the season started people would have came to their games.

koreancabbage
11-16-2012, 09:54 AM
no. Boston did the same thing.

Firesale started well before the offseason started. Just b/c it was the Marlins, doesn't mean its not a baseball business transaction any other way.

Obviously b/c of the Marlins situation, yea we feel bad, but this is not a first time a fanbase has been had with promises and got the rug slipped out from under them.

Jamiecballer
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
this trade won't and shouldn't be vetoed.

i will not be surprised however if a new rule is in effect for next season - payroll from one season to the next can only fluctuate by X%. that's the only way to truly prevent this from ever happening again.

miller74
11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Ridiculous that this is a thread, absolutely it should go through, sorry but i dont care about the feelings being hurt of the miami fan base thats not a reason to veto this. They had no obligation to keep their payroll where it was.
Again the LA/BOS goes through then this one does as well
If they veto this trade than they should move the jays out of toronto

Valleyfella
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't think a Commish should step in and veto any trade unless it is so ridiculous as to bring into the question the integrity of the sport. This isn't even close to the case in this instance. Miami made an "all in" move last year and it blew up in their face. It's a smart and necessary business move to jettison salary in order to survive and rebuild more modestly. In return for doing so, the Marlins get a very good SS in Escobar, two very promising young players in Hechaverria and Alvarez and 3 or 4 of the Jays top prospects. It's not like the Marlins received a bag of balls in return.

scottythegreat1
11-16-2012, 12:31 PM
this trade won't and shouldn't be vetoed.

i will not be surprised however if a new rule is in effect for next season - payroll from one season to the next can only fluctuate by X%. that's the only way to truly prevent this from ever happening again.

I like the idea of high fluctuating payroll, but can it really be enforced??? and who is the judge???

Think about it, the New York Mets reported a net loss of 75 million (I forget the exact number), so they cut their payroll by over 50 million (again, approximate).....If the Mets were bankrupt, would you say that you cant trade so and so because it would look bad when you blow up the team in order to save the ground they play on??? Would you go to the Red Sox and say that you cant rebuild your team because the fans would feel betrayed because youre team finished last in the AL East???

After thinking about this whole possible veto, and as a Blue Jays fan, taking a step back.....Ive jumped to the conclusion that Bud Selig has 3 options, either accept the trade completely or veto the trade without doing anything....OR veto the trade and OUST JEFFREY LORIA permanently from owning a team for LIFE!!!!!

Seriously, if Selig vetoes the trade, he better do something about Loria, its the only way Im going to accept it if there is a veto.

Jamiecballer
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
If they veto this trade than they should move the jays out of toronto

what the heck does one have to do with the other?

Jamiecballer
11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
I like the idea of high fluctuating payroll, but can it really be enforced??? and who is the judge???

Think about it, the New York Mets reported a net loss of 75 million (I forget the exact number), so they cut their payroll by over 50 million (again, approximate).....If the Mets were bankrupt, would you say that you cant trade so and so because it would look bad when you blow up the team in order to save the ground they play on??? Would you go to the Red Sox and say that you cant rebuild your team because the fans would feel betrayed because youre team finished last in the AL East???

After thinking about this whole possible veto, and as a Blue Jays fan, taking a step back.....Ive jumped to the conclusion that Bud Selig has 3 options, either accept the trade completely or veto the trade without doing anything....OR veto the trade and OUST JEFFREY LORIA permanently from owning a team for LIFE!!!!!

Seriously, if Selig vetoes the trade, he better do something about Loria, its the only way Im going to accept it if there is a veto.

that's why i say it should be based on percentage not X number of millions. for the mets to drop 50 million in payroll, i don't know what percentage of total payroll that is but i'd be shocked if it was anywhere even close to half. same with Boston. they dumped a shitload of future dollars on the dodgers but their payroll for next season isn't going to be down anything ridiculous like the 85% the marlins would be if the season started today.

if there is a 50% max reduction from season to season and you are a team with a huge payroll like Boston that still gives you enormous flexibility to jettison players without totally giving up like the Marlins have on their fans.

psuedo
11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't think Selig can legitimately block a trade that is fully within mlb's regulations. However, I hope it spawns more stringent regulations of baseballs salary system. Including;

1 - A salary basement, if not absolute, then at least in order to qualify for profit sharing

2 - A salary ceiling, if not absolute, at least regulations on adding salary through free agency, or trades(ex, Yankee's could not add salary through free agency. And, could not make trades in which the salaries added to their payroll amounted to more than 5% of the value of the trade).

3 - The elimination of including CASH in any transaction.

miller74
11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
what the heck does one have to do with the other?

This is a completely legit trade, zero reasons for being vetoed. If they are not able to build their team like all other teams, then whats the points.

Overreaction yes, but just the thought of it being vetoed, is extremely frustrating, especially since not a word was said when BOS and LA made their trade.

psuedo
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Toronto just gets screwed for high taxes and horrible weather. While it's a great city, many of its advantages are nulled by athletes being rich. We have to overpay for talent to get it here.

Super.
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
no. Boston did the same thing.

Firesale started well before the offseason started. Just b/c it was the Marlins, doesn't mean its not a baseball business transaction any other way.

Obviously b/c of the Marlins situation, yea we feel bad, but this is not a first time a fanbase has been had with promises and got the rug slipped out from under them.

That's not even remotely true. We didn't sucker the city of Boston into a new ballpark mainly paid with taxpayer money. Not to mention our payroll post blockbuster is still almost 3 times what the Marlins will be.

The Red Sox wanted to rebuild, Loria and the Marlins want to continue to make money of this team. Cherington (Red Sox GM) has even come out and said that the Red Sox will have a large payroll.

The trades are similar, but the situations are not.

jlohm1
11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
He has no reason to veto it. Both teams agreed to it and no rules were broken.

this

if one of the teams didn't like it, then they shouldn't have agreed to it

LanceUpperCut
11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Toronto just gets screwed for high taxes and horrible weather. While it's a great city, many of its advantages are nulled by athletes being rich. We have to overpay for talent to get it here.

If by horrible weather you mean some snow and cold for 3-4 months during the off-season when players are all over the world which is the same as Boston, New York, Chicago etc. well then yes.

ccugrad1
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Here's the only problem with this trade: The owner has a history of doing this type of things when things "go south" for the team that he owns, as well as his previous team he owned. This trade is really no different than Boston's trade with the LA Dodgers involving Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett for players and prospects because let's be honest, that was nothing more than a "Salary Dump" as well.

However, unlike Jeffery Loria, the Red Sox and their ownership don't have a history of doing things like this.

If this was Loria's 1st time doing something like this, no one would worry about it one bit; they would just say that the Marlins were trading away "big salaried" players for prospects and players in order to trim some salary and rebuild.

Valleyfella
11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Here's the only problem with this trade: The owner has a history of doing this type of things when things "go south" for the team that he owns, as well as his previous team he owned. This trade is really no different than Boston's trade with the LA Dodgers involving Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett for players and prospects because let's be honest, that was nothing more than a "Salary Dump" as well.

However, unlike Jeffery Loria, the Red Sox and their ownership don't have a history of doing things like this.

If this was Loria's 1st time doing something like this, no one would worry about it one bit; they would just say that the Marlins were trading away "big salaried" players for prospects and players in order to trim some salary and rebuild.

This is true but the city of Miami has only itself to blame. Loria's history is pretty clear. And the fans never showed up despite the new stadium and influx of talent. Loria's no choirboy but he didn't create the mess in Miami by himself.

baseballislife7
11-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Florida is getting some good pieces. I know everyone thinks the Blue Jays are getting the better end, I think they are getting two pieces that can stay injured a bit. Marlins have some money to work with and some good prospects. I think Marlins will be OK. They have done it twice just to win WS a few years down the road.

Kinglorious
11-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Come on Bud, don't you **** us over, bruh...

Vampirate
11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
The damage is already done in Miami, those players will be traded somewhere else now regardless.

There's no point in pissing off 2 fanbases, especially one that has proven to pack a 50000 seat arena and has big market potential.

Also, sorry I don't feel sorry for Miami sports fans, after all they need to do is look at thier Heat team and they are cured.

Imo you could say Toronto traded Chris Bosh for Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle. A fair trade considering how it worked out for the Miami Heat so far.

Super.
11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
The damage is already done in Miami, those players will be traded somewhere else now regardless.

There's no point in pissing off 2 fanbases, especially one that has proven to pack a 50000 seat arena and has big market potential.

Also, sorry I don't feel sorry for Miami sports fans, after all they need to do is look at thier Heat team and they are cured.

Imo you could say Toronto traded Chris Bosh for Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle. A fair trade considering how it worked out for the Miami Heat so far.

Valid point, I don't think it should be veto'd but **** Loria

MrForever
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Punish Loria, not the Blue Jays.

todu82
11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
No he shouldn't. These 2 private clubs made this deal. The MLB should accept it as the wishes of the 2 teams.

StayOnBoard
11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
/looks at poll.

17 people... fans of the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees and O's :laugh2:

mtf
11-17-2012, 07:39 PM
/looks at poll.

17 people... fans of the Rays, Red Sox, Yankees and O's :laugh2:

...and Marlins.

Dmac
11-18-2012, 01:13 AM
They need to take the team away from Loria. I would move them to another city and let another owner start them over somewhere else with a new name and franchise like Washington did.

I would move the Rays to Tampa. They desperately need a new stadium, and they aren't going to get it where they are at. You get Loria out of baseball, Marlins get ownership and a new fanbase that will support them and the Rays finally get a new stadium and Miami gets a team that actually cares and will try and win and that is good. I know none of this will never happen, but it would be best for baseball and for the city of Miami and the fans and also for the Rays.

Daze9900
11-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Maybe I'm misinformed by I don't understand all the hate regarding this trade. Marlins realized their team wasn't going to do well and blew it up. Last time I checked they won a couple of championships doing it that way. I wish the Mets would have done that instead of teasing the fans. At the beginning of the season I didn't expect Dickey nor Wright to still be on the roster then they overachieved big time and melted down again. I wish the Wilpons had the guts to just blow it up instead of teasing the fans like that. If the Marlins are legitimately trying to win then its great.

mtf
11-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Maybe I'm misinformed by I don't understand all the hate regarding this trade. Marlins realized their team wasn't going to do well and blew it up. Last time I checked they won a couple of championships doing it that way. I wish the Mets would have done that instead of teasing the fans. At the beginning of the season I didn't expect Dickey nor Wright to still be on the roster then they overachieved big time and melted down again. I wish the Wilpons had the guts to just blow it up instead of teasing the fans like that. If the Marlins are legitimately trying to win then its great.

The trade itself is fine. The issue is that it was the Marlins who made the trade. They got taxpayers to pay for their new stadium based on the assumption that the Marlins would spend and become contenders. After 1 year, the Marlins trade away all of their high priced players and go into rebuild mode instead and will now be eligible for revenue sharing from major league baseball.

For the other 29 owners, this is bad because it'll be harder for them to get publicly funded stadiums built in the future and it also means that Jeffrey Loria will be taking from the pool of revenue sharing funds rather than being a contributor to them.

SLS80
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
marlins are the morons screwing up their franchise, so let them go through with it

YEP! But, they did get quality prospects.

SLS80
11-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Let it go....If it were the Yankees, Redsox or Dodgers that made this deal with Miami, it would already have been approved.

Daze9900
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
The trade itself is fine. The issue is that it was the Marlins who made the trade. They got taxpayers to pay for their new stadium based on the assumption that the Marlins would spend and become contenders. After 1 year, the Marlins trade away all of their high priced players and go into rebuild mode instead and will now be eligible for revenue sharing from major league baseball.

For the other 29 owners, this is bad because it'll be harder for them to get publicly funded stadiums built in the future and it also means that Jeffrey Loria will be taking from the pool of revenue sharing funds rather than being a contributor to them.

My thing is I would have 100 percent agreed with you about duping the fanbase if they did this all at the trade deadline; they rolled with what they had; Ozzie Guillen says some dumb things but he's a championship coach. For some reason none of this worked. I honestly feel like if they are honestly going to rebuild and try to build a contender and they do maybe not next year but in two or three years then it's okay; they've proven in the past that it worked for them. I feel like yeah Loria is trying to also make a buck but he has a business approach to his franchise where you don't hold on to a stock if its doing bad; sell fast and get a good stock that will pay dividends.

The taxpayers shouldn't feel like its the end of the world a new stadium in a town brings up the overall value of a city and is beneficial for other uses such as conventions shows tournaments concerts.

town123
11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Selig MUST come down hard on Loria, punish him so hard that no owner will ever consider a mass fire-sale like this.

I would suggest Selig orders Loria to include Stanton in the trade as a penalty. ;-

Vampirate
11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
My thing is I would have 100 percent agreed with you about duping the fanbase if they did this all at the trade deadline; they rolled with what they had; Ozzie Guillen says some dumb things but he's a championship coach. For some reason none of this worked. I honestly feel like if they are honestly going to rebuild and try to build a contender and they do maybe not next year but in two or three years then it's okay; they've proven in the past that it worked for them. I feel like yeah Loria is trying to also make a buck but he has a business approach to his franchise where you don't hold on to a stock if its doing bad; sell fast and get a good stock that will pay dividends.

The taxpayers shouldn't feel like its the end of the world a new stadium in a town brings up the overall value of a city and is beneficial for other uses such as conventions shows tournaments concerts.

Sorry we couldn't give you that Lexus BMW like we promised, here's a hummer to compensate.

SLS80
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Selig MUST come down hard on Loria, punish him so hard that no owner will ever consider a mass fire-sale like this.

I would suggest Selig orders Loria to include Stanton in the trade as a penalty. ;-

Can't stop any team from a fire sale......look what Boston did with LA. He let that go, he has to let this go.

SLS80
11-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Can't stop any team from a fire sale......look what Boston did with LA. He let that go, he has to let this go.

Don't get me wrong, Loria still needs a high 5 in the face with a chair....for being a repeat idiot.

Vampirate
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, Loria still needs a high 5 in the face with a chair....for being a repeat idiot.

Why did you quote yourself, it's like you're trying to prove something to yourself, but yourself disagrees with yourself.

2009mvp
11-18-2012, 01:27 PM

No. Stadiums/arenas are and always will be a horrible investment.

town123
11-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Tough room.

whitesoxfan83
11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
He should strip Loria of the team...

heusy_79
11-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Tough room.

I thought you were onto something. Maybe as a punishment they should have to add Stanton and take on the contract of Adam Lind.

SLS80
11-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Why did you quote yourself, it's like you're trying to prove something to yourself, but yourself disagrees with yourself.

I did it so idiots like you can start arguments. Feel better?

JdKing7
11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
The marlins just hands down ruined any chance of signing free agents ever again. Pretty terrible for that team and the city. Lorias a bum and a money hungry son of a ***** and he should be banned from baseball for life.

mtf
11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
The marlins just hands down ruined any chance of signing free agents ever again. Pretty terrible for that team and the city. Lorias a bum and a money hungry son of a ***** and he should be banned from baseball for life.

Just playing devils advocate here, Loria's not wrong about his team finishing in last place last year with a big payroll. If this were any other city involved, it likely wouldn't be seen with such harsh criticism.

tuck25
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
So my question is, Why does the Marlins fan base any more important then the Jays?? What makes them so special that this would get shut down when other teams in the past have made alot more questionable moves? is it because its Toronto? Canada? thats the only reason i see... Brutal but i guess thats the way it is, Their fan base isnt anymore to the MLB then the Jays and it wont be stopped, live with it!!!! actually with the increase in attendance in the AL East and Mariners, and lack of last year to the Marlins i say the the T.O. market is more important to MLB....

mtf
11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
So my question is, Why does the Marlins fan base any more important then the Jays?? What makes them so special that this would get shut down when other teams in the past have made alot more questionable moves? is it because its Toronto? Canada? thats the only reason i see... Brutal but i guess thats the way it is, Their fan base isnt anymore to the MLB then the Jays and it wont be stopped, live with it!!!! actually with the increase in attendance in the AL East and Mariners, and lack of last year to the Marlins i say the the T.O. market is more important to MLB....

I really wish my fellow Toronto fans would stop taking this so personally. This has nothing to do with the Blue Jays at all. It isn't going to be vetoed anyway so stop worrying and whining.

kjoke
11-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Idk know people think FA won't come to Miami, if anything, if the FO wants the player that badly, they would just give them a NTC to show their interests I would assume?

mtf
11-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Idk know people think FA won't come to Miami, if anything, if the FO wants the player that badly, they would just give them a NTC to show their interests I would assume?

They have a club policy not to give NTC in writing. Apparently, they told Reyes and Buehrle that they would not be traded as a verbal agreement only.

R. Johnson#3
11-19-2012, 08:07 AM
They have a club policy not to give NTC in writing. Apparently, they told Reyes and Buehrle that they would not be traded as a verbal agreement only.

Which means squat

gaughan333
11-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Yes...they will have 0 in attendance at all games.

Pinstripe pride
11-19-2012, 09:31 AM
no, but he should take the team away from loria

the brave eagle
11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
if i was him i wouldn't be worried about about the marlins trading people away, i would be worried about teams like the yankees, dodgers, an now the blue jays paying so much money for top guys, i still think their should be a salary cap in baseball

TheRazorboy
11-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Literally like two threads down.

Pinstripe pride
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
the marlins spendign nothing and giving players away is worse than other teams over spending

gaughan333
11-20-2012, 12:46 PM
contraction

sep11ie
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
The entire state of Florida is all sorts of fail.

Bean
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
We don't need a salary cap. We need Loria to be banned from baseball forever.

TheRazorboy
11-20-2012, 03:24 PM
The entire state of Florida is all sorts of fail.

That's cute coming from Texas.

madmike77
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Thing is this is nothing new. It's happened before and it will happen again.

The only really "new" thing is the Jays dramatically increasing their payroll. And even that isn't really new. Back when the Jays won their two World Series they were the top-spending team in baseball.

Now that the Jays are owned by a multi-billion dollar corporation that also owns the Jays broadcast rights it shouldn't be a shock that ownership would want to increase interest in the team since it boosts ownership's revenues in multiple ways.

Leandres_sf
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
That's cute coming from Texas.

Ha.

mtf
11-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Which means squat

okay... thanks for that contribution.
:rolleyes: