PDA

View Full Version : Sooooooo. . .how about them Grizzlies??

mdm692
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm watching ESPN and I noticed that MEM is 6-1, having beat the defending WC champs nonetheless. I then turn to PSD and no one seems to acknowledge them. They are playing great basketball and are looking better every day. at the beginning of the season I was almost 100% sure they were trading Z-Bo or Gay, but not so much anymore. So are they contenders or pretenders? Whats your guys take on them?

NYKnickFanatic
11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Definitely contenders, if they can stay healthy. I really like their team. Should be a good game tomorrow vs the Knicks. Cant wait.

Blitzbolt
11-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Losing OJ Mayo was the best thing that happen to us we replace him with 3 point shooters(Bayless,Elligton) its giving us so much space for our guys down low.

ZBO and Gay are finally healthy playing together with chemistry.

That's the 2 changes from years before but still I think the clippers are better because they have a SUPERSTAR in CP3 but the gap is not that big.

NYKnickFanatic
11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Losing OJ Mayo was the best thing that happen to us we replace him with 3 point shooters(Bayless,Elligton) its giving us so much space for our guys down low.

That's the 2 changes from years before but still I think the clippers are better because they have a SUPERSTAR in CP3 but the gap is not that big.

But Mayo is lighting it up from 3.

strahan92osi72
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Really like Rudy Gay, one of the most underrated players in the league IMO. Still can't buy into Z-Bo though. If he played like that when he was with the Knicks he may still be there, SMH.

mightybosstone
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
As crazy as this would have sounded prior to the season, I think this could potentially be Memphis' year to make a run to the Western Conference Finals and maybe the NBA Finals. I was really iffy about them because I doubted Randolph coming back to previous form and even if he did, I doubted that he would coexist well with Rudy Gay in the lineup. Randolph still isn't there yet from a scoring standpoint, but he's making up for it with insane rebounding numbers. And he clearly has been able to coexist with Gay.

This team has four guys scoring around 14+ a night, one of the league's most dangerous 4-5 offensive punch and a well above average point guard running the offense. With OKC struggling a bit at the start of the season and the Lakers still trying to figure things out, I could definitely see Memphis swing in and get a top 2-3 seed and make a deep postseason run.

yaswaggin
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

No. Grizzlies just didn't know how to use mayo

Killerjug
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
If gay can be remotely efficient they will be dangerous it's a very versatile starting 5 with conley-allen-gay-zbo-gasol good perimeter shooting good d good inside scoring

NYKnickFanatic
11-15-2012, 11:42 AM

:clap:

C_Mund
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM

When you're already a successful team with tons of options it's not easy to get everybody into the game. That split was good for both sides.

Jint.
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
I refer to them as NY Knicks West

He115ing
11-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Really like Rudy Gay, one of the most underrated players in the league IMO. Still can't buy into Z-Bo though. If he played like that when he was with the Knicks he may still be there, SMH.

Rudy is not underrated at all. He is not that spectacular, he is good but nothing to write home about.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
dude they've been contenders since they ousted the Spurs.

nothing new here.

JayW_1023
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I love how no one talks about them because they are the Grizzlies. They are so well-rounded. They have size, defense, wing talent, depth and perimeter shooting.

They can annihilate any team on any given night. Their rebounding will always give them enough possessions.

Blitzbolt
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
OJ wants the ball on his hands and he wants alot of shots.

We replace him with spot up shooters 2 of them and Bayless handles the ball better and runs the offense better for the bench players as a backup Point guard.

Losing OJ was a win win for both the player and the team.

Twins Fanatic
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
No surprise, this team has good talent and a great coach.

mzgrizz
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
We are definitely contenders but I like it when we get dissed on the line......makes them play better with a chip on their shoulders.
Agree with previous poster that we've been contenders since we took out the Spurs in Round 1 Playoffs 2 years ago. Losing Rudy; then Zbo and now with them all playing such great team ball, our future is bright with a deep excellent bench that gives us a 3rd gear when they come into the game. And Darrell Arthur will be back in 2 weeks!!

Baller1
11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
OKC better hope they avoid Memphis and LAC in the playoffs... Because they would get worked.

Stress
11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Always a talented team. Always choke in the playoffs.

JiffyMix88
11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
When you're already a successful team with tons of options it's not easy to get everybody into the game. That split was good for both sides.

best post

Baller1
11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Always a talented team. Always choke in the playoffs.

I guess you could say the choked against LA last season, but that'd be a stretch in itself. Other than that, since when have they choked? They took OKC to seven a few seasons ago and could've easily won that series's advancing to the WCF.

Stress
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I guess you could say the choked against LA last season, but that'd be a stretch in itself. Other than that, since when have they choked? They took OKC to seven a few seasons ago and could've easily won that series's advancing to the WCF.

In the past 10 years they made the playoffs 5 times. 4 out of 5 times unable to get out of the 1st round.

No matter how well they've played, the fact of the matter is they haven't been able to succeed in the playoffs. They've always been one of my favourite teams so please don't misinterpret this as hate.

Nycbball08
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
They came a long way, like the Thunder..

Hustla23
11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Watching Tony Allen play defense is amazing. I still remember how he suffocated Chris Paul in last year's playoffs. Was crazy.

Also, I've been saying for years that Zbo is a straight up beast, even when he was on the Knicks. Now people are starting to recognize.

HesterJordan23
11-15-2012, 01:53 PM
i believe the split with mayo was perfect for the player and the team. mayo is lighting it up and now the grizzlies have more flow to the offense. I believe they can contend

yaswaggin
11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Watching Tony Allen play defense is amazing. I still remember how he suffocated Chris Paul in last year's playoffs. Was crazy.

Also, I've been saying for years that Zbo is a straight up beast, even when he was on the Knicks. Now people are starting to recognize.

The fans started to recognize when he was in straight up beast mode 2 playoffs ago in which he dominated the spurs and thunder

YoungOne
11-15-2012, 02:01 PM
would like to see them come out of the west, in case we dont make the finals ;)

Ebbs
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM

This.

I want to give this team credit they've been great they are a well rounded team no reason on paper that can't be successful.

I just honestly don't see them getting past the LA teams or OKC in a 7 game series though.

MrfadeawayJB
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
There are few grizz fans in the forum (about 4 lol) and we dont feel the need to make threads unncecessarily like some fan bases. However i was thinking about making one if the winning streak continued.

The success this season can be attributed to a few things:

1) Healthy Z-BO and Gay on the court together.
2) Improving chemistry between Z-BO, Gay, and the new additions
3) Outside shooting of Ellington, Pondexter, and Bayless
4) More agressive Marc Gasol on the offensive end
5) Stingy defense that steals the ball

Mayo gone is a good thing, for both sides. He needed to start somewhere, and now he is playing well with that opportunity. Mayo is hitting threes, but that hot streak may drop some. He is also (as blitzbolt stated) better with the ball in his hands. He is a better three point shooter when he dribbles some, while the grizz needed a guy to catch and shoot

MrfadeawayJB
11-15-2012, 02:39 PM
In the past 10 years they made the playoffs 5 times. 4 out of 5 times unable to get out of the 1st round.

No matter how well they've played, the fact of the matter is they haven't been able to succeed in the playoffs. They've always been one of my favourite teams so please don't misinterpret this as hate.

Compare the rosters. Most of the times they flopped in the playoffs it was with Pau Gasol as the prime player. The team (as constructed for the most) is not a choking team. They choked the first game vs LAC, but that is it. We do need to develop a better killer instinct but we are not chokers

keetyweedy
11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
they're good but i think its sort of premature, they will be somewhere between 3-5 just like they always are i still think they need that consistent go to guy to actually make some noise tho

Hellcrooner
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
As long as NONE of the top four players averages less than 12 ppg or more than 17 ppg they could be a threat to pull a pistons 04 thing.

KnickaBocka.44
11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
As long as NONE of the top four players averages less than 12 ppg or more than 17 ppg they could be a threat to pull a pistons 04 thing.

Well Tony Allen is a lock to be in single digits. But he is a beast on D so he compensates for it.

The Grizzlies are playing great though. They seem to have found a way to make Bayless a productive player, and him, Ellington and Speights are givng them great production off of the bench.

mzgrizz
11-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Good assessment but the sig pic................yow!!!!:speechless:

DanG
11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Spurs
OKC
Lakers
Clippers
Grizzlies

West is very interesting this year.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Good assessment but the sig pic................yow!!!!:speechless:

Its and Advertisement from one of our Concerts.

mzgrizz
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Its and Advertisement from one of our Concerts.

I know.....you have a great band but anything sharp around eyeballs makes me cringe!!!!

Punk
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
People forget, Memphis was 1 win away from facing Dallas in the WCF Finals in 2011. They'll clinch a Top 4 record as long as they stay healthy. They have a decent schedule too.

Vs. Knicks
@Bobcats
Vs. Nuggets
Vs. Lakers
Vs. Cavs
Vs. Raptors

^ They could very well win every game on that stretch.

WAYNEBO
11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I really like this team and the way they are built. Gonna do some damage in the regular season, but playoffs requires grit and mental toughness... they've been good for a few years now, but always wilted in the playoffs.

Blitzbolt
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
First playoffs no Rudy Gay.
Second Playoff ZBO was not at 100%.

I just want them to stay healthy and see what they can do together injury's is the reason Memphis lost last year we lost our first and second Power foward in Darell Author it was to much for a inside team like us.

Max.This
11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
in my opinion Clippers and Grizzlies are tied for best team in west

kyubi256
11-15-2012, 06:23 PM
They are the team I am most excited for this year coming from the West. I think they are fantastic! One of the best teams in the NBA definitely.

I'd rank them in top 5 right now.

kyubi256
11-15-2012, 06:23 PM
in my opinion Clippers and Grizzlies are tied for best team in west

I think that would be insulting to the Spurs who are always great and always dynamic. I say the Spurs are the best and the Clippers and Grizzles are tied for #2.

xILLN355
11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
move them back to vancouver!!

Vinny642
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I love the Grizzlies, they're the only other team in the Hornets division that I like

mrblisterdundee
11-16-2012, 01:19 AM
They're a solid team. All three members of the front court either have been (Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph) or could be (Rudy Gay) all-stars. The back court is fairly weak, though, especially with OJ Mayo leaving. If they had a better point guard, they'd be great with that front court and a top-level wing like Gay.

JRisdabest
11-16-2012, 01:48 AM
clippers beat the grizz

STL Don
11-16-2012, 01:49 AM
If all their players can stay healthy, they can be a very legitimized threat in the West.
Z-Bo is their most important player, IMO. If he can manage to stay on the floor and not get hurt, the Grizzlies can matchup with just about any team in the league.
They have a top 5 center, top 5 small forward and a progressing pg in Conley that continues to get better, gradually.
Aside from injuries, my biggest question concerning their roster was how their bench would hold up. So far, they're hanging in there and keeping them in each game, we'll see how all of that plays out but yes, I do believe they are "real" contenders.

bigbeardaboss
11-16-2012, 07:19 AM
They are the scariest team that the Knicks will play in the next 10 days. Zbo has been a beast since his Portland days. If healthy, I expect them to make a run in the playoffs.

thenaj17
11-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Like i said preseason, they are a great darkhorse team but not elite contenders. Need to see more of them for a longer spell. If they have a ridiculous record at all star break, then i may change my mind.

I do like them though, Zbo doesn't get anywhere near enough credit, nor does Marc Gasol, both excellent All Star calibre bigs. I'm also glad to see them looking so much better than Nuggets, who were voted as the better team (wrongly) in a poll.

Captain Moroni
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Grizz are a solid playoff team. Very deep