PDA

View Full Version : NBA ticket sales in the toilet

steelcityroller
11-15-2012, 02:30 AM
As stated in the article there are tickets being sold online for as cheap as 10 cents. Atlanta, Orlando, Memphis, Charlotte, New Orleans, Philly etc. can't give them away....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/see-nba-game-0-10-seriously-10-cents-234007316--nba.html

Punk
11-15-2012, 02:34 AM
That's because those teams either suck or have fair weather fans like Philly, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta.

The NBA will always make their money in tickets through Lakers, Clippers, Heat, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, etc.

Becks2307
11-15-2012, 02:34 AM
yet knicks ticks are like 80+

J4KOP99
11-15-2012, 02:39 AM
That's because those teams either suck or have fair weather fans like Philly, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta.

The NBA will always make their money in tickets through Lakers, Clippers, Heat, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, etc.

Did you start watching basketball 3 years ago or something?

tapajafri
11-15-2012, 02:40 AM

More like 1 year ago.

J4KOP99
11-15-2012, 02:42 AM
The Clippers and the Nets fan bases have been two of the most pathetic fan bases throughout nba history. Granted, the Clippers fans never had much to cheer for but the Nets couldn't sell out nba finals games in the early 00's

Punk
11-15-2012, 02:47 AM
The Clippers and the Nets fan bases have been two of the most pathetic fan bases throughout nba history. Granted, the Clippers fans never had much to cheer for but the Nets couldn't sell out nba finals games in the early 00's

You do realize the Clippers/Nets ticket prices are 100 and up right? This isn't 3 years ago. Both are beyond profitable franchises now in LA and NY.

The NBA in the next 10 years will see tons of profit from both instead of the usual Lakers and Knicks bringing in the cash from both major markets.

Once, Rose comes back the Bulls ticket prices will skyrocket once again and the sellouts will return. So, the league is looking at 4 big markets (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago) with 6 teams that will probably combine for a billion or more in revenue.

metswon69
11-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Secondary markets (Stubhub and Ebay) hurt ticket sales dramatically in certain cities.

It's happening in baseball too.

Why pay 150 bucks for tickets to a game when you can buy them on those sites for 20 dollars?

Gritz
11-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Blackouts

Knowledge
11-15-2012, 03:00 AM

Ummm, outside of Knicks Fans (who have a giant market in NY), do you think any of these teams would sell out without having star players/good teams?

The Heat, Clippers, and Celtics just started selling out games when they got good. The Nets are new to the BK market so you can't judge them yet and the Lakers have been relevant since the 80s so their never was a reason not to go to games.

If your team has talent, people will go the games. If not, they won't. Few markets go against this logic and the ones you named aren't good examples. Not a very thoughtful analysis of the NBA market.

Knowledge
11-15-2012, 03:04 AM
You do realize the Clippers/Nets ticket prices are 100 and up right? This isn't 3 years ago. Both are beyond profitable franchises now in LA and NY.

The NBA in the next 10 years will see tons of profit from both instead of the usual Lakers and Knicks bringing in the cash from both major markets.

Once, Rose comes back the Bulls ticket prices will skyrocket once again and the sellouts will return. So, the league is looking at 4 big markets (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago) with 6 teams that will probably combine for a billion or more in revenue.

So 3 years, which happen to coincide with when they got good, prove they are loyal fanbases?

Its easy to have great attendance when your team is good, especially if they are good for a long time. The NBA isn't like baseball or football, where your team always has a chance if they make the playoffs. Everyone knows who the real contenders are from the beginning of the season and it can be reflected in ticket sales.

You look at Philly attendance in baseball, football, and hockey over the last 10 years and tell me how are we fair weather? Philly (without Bynum), Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta don't have anywhere near the star power and/or don't boast teams as good as the Clips, Miami, LA, and NY so to compare makes no sense.

Guppyfighter
11-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Nets aren't good. Argument is moot.

MU and UW Fan
11-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Secondary markets (Stubhub and Ebay) hurt ticket sales dramatically in certain cities.

It's happening in baseball too.

Why pay 150 bucks for tickets to a game when you can buy them on those sites for 20 dollars?

Exactly. I live in Milwaukee and besides a few games like Heat, Lakers, and Thunder I have consistently bought tickets 5-10 rows behind teams bench for 20-30 dollars and those, while still cheap compared to other markets because it is Milwaukee, but are considered $150 tickets and getting them for 20-30 dollars on stubhub is a no brainer.

metswon69
11-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Exactly. I live in Milwaukee and besides a few games like Heat, Lakers, and Thunder I have consistently bought tickets 5-10 rows behind teams bench for 20-30 dollars and those, while still cheap compared to other markets because it is Milwaukee, but are considered $150 tickets and getting them for 20-30 dollars on stubhub is a no brainer.

Yep, teams charge premium prices for seats like those.

Why bother when you can get a great deal somewhere else?

It really comes down to the fact that a lot of these teams need to lower their ticket prices. They are pricing their fan base out of the market.

DragonJaii
11-15-2012, 04:01 AM

i laughed. thanks.

Baller1
11-15-2012, 04:05 AM
Yet Seattle has no team. Ha.

Baller1
11-15-2012, 04:05 AM
i laughed. thanks.

It's true.

metswon69
11-15-2012, 04:53 AM
i laughed. thanks.

Brooklyn will sell tickets for the next 2 or 3 years.

Past that they will have to win but they will certainly do much better in Brooklyn than they did in New Jersey.

Quinnsanity
11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Yet I try to get decent Nets tickets just to see Barclays and I can't find them for under $100 a pop.

Aust
11-15-2012, 07:44 AM
That's pathetic

benzni
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM

lol

left nj for a reason

#Shumpert Up
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
I really don't understand the deal with the NBA moving teams to cities that just can't support a team only about 1/3rd of the league has a consistent fanbase that brings in a large revenue (maybe less depending on who you consider to consistently sell out no matter what). There are MANY big market cities in the NBA without a team. Move these low market teams elsewhere

BKLYNpigeon
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
who cares... look at MLB in Miami, Tampa or Pittsburg, they're still doing fine.

#Shumpert Up
11-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Teams that will consistently sell and should stay in their cities:
SAS, NY, Brooklyn, Boston, LAL, OKC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Toronto, Golden State(soon to be San Fran so i'll put them here)

The next tier of teams are ones that have great fans and sell out when good but if they arent....they could be moved to a bigger city, but better management could solve their problems:
memphis, wolves, 76ers, pacers, pistons, hawks, heat, magic, New Oreleans, Utah, Phoenix, Cleveland, Denver.

The next tier are teams that really have never been big basketball cities and aren't ever going to do well here so they need to be moved:
Milwaukee, Charlotte, Washington, Clippers(lets be real they have terrible owners and fans)

The final tier is the mess of the league:
Sacramento Kings(great city but awful owners)

Potential "BIG" cities to bring a team to:
Seattle, Vegas, St. Louis, Louisville(great basketball city, could be an "OKC" type atmosphere), Kansas City(see Louisville), Pittsburg.

Just a thought moving Sacramento to seattle, milwaukee to St. Louis, Washington to Louisville, and Charlotte to Vegas could do wonders for the NBA

2-ONE-5
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM

or bcuz Philly is without Bynum...

asandhu23
11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
SAS, NY, Brooklyn, Boston, LAL, OKC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Toronto, Golden State(soon to be San Fran so i'll put them here)

The next tier of teams are ones that have great fans and sell out when good but if they arent....they could be moved to a bigger city, but better management could solve their problems:
memphis, wolves, 76ers, pacers, pistons, hawks, heat, magic, New Oreleans, Utah, Phoenix, Cleveland, Denver.

The next tier are teams that really have never been big basketball cities and aren't ever going to do well here so they need to be moved:
Milwaukee, Charlotte, Washington, Clippers(lets be real they have terrible owners and fans)

Seattle, Vegas, St. Louis, Louisville(great basketball city, could be an "OKC" type atmosphere), Kansas City(see Louisville), Pittsburg.

Just a thought moving Sacramento to seattle, milwaukee to St. Louis, Washington to Louisville, and Charlotte to Vegas could do wonders for the NBA

Will sell out here as well. Its the Bay Area's team.

sjbirds
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM

they dont draw in baseball and the pens went bankrupt so i doubt nba would do well...they are just a football city

Mikeleafs
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
That's because the nba has lost its credibility. From the creation of super teams, to b.s. refereeing the league has gone into the toilet.

koberulesall
11-16-2012, 06:31 PM
tickets are expensive! I have gone to 2 laker games so far and have spent over $600 total parking drinks ect... oh yeah not to mention they lost one of the games:mad: stupid Green:mad:...good game tho:;) I will go again but much later in the season, kinda wish I waited till later in the season to go just got to excited!!!!!

TrueFan420
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM

You do realize that even though this team has been to the playoffs once in the last 17 years we still are top 6 in sell outs and that's in Oakland not sf. It don't matter where in the bay(oak or sf) they play they will sell out

Bruno
11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
good.

listen to the market, lower the prices. :)

Raps08-09 Champ
11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Hard cap.

Dade County
11-16-2012, 06:57 PM

How do you know this?!?

OKC fans had KD from the start... Who says those fans still come out if OKC for some reason becomes a bottom feeder year after year?

SAS, have been good for so long ( David Robinson, Elliot...etc), we don't no if their fans are really die hards or their just flying high, because their team is always good. They had only one bad year in like 13years, and they got Timmy ( WTF is that ).

Dade County
11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Hard cap.

this...

GOON MUSIC
11-16-2012, 07:25 PM
I bought nets tickets last year for ten cents

Illa215
11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Parity FTW!!

Illa215
11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Super-teams are doing wonders. I've turned my attention to college basketball.

Kobe2324
11-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah this is where being a Lakers fan sucks, i travel once a year to LA to catch 3 or 4 Lakers games and im always out about 3k or more for those games, 2$ sounds great lol...

sammyvine
11-16-2012, 08:58 PM
That's because the nba has lost its credibility. From the creation of super teams, to b.s. refereeing the league has gone into the toilet.

That's one of the main problems imo.

Apart from the big teams, it gets tedious. I guess you can say that for most sports tbh but teams like Kings, Bobcats will only attract die hard fans.

Strumpy
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
My friends and I last year bought C's tickets against the Pacers in the very last row of nosebleed. $45 each was the cheapest.

#knickstape
11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Are they still valid?

#knickstape
11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Oops. Wrong thread, lol