PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Linsanity Feb. 2012 - Nov. 2012

jam
11-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been watching and playing basketball for a long time. Linsanity ranks as one of the most enjoyable stretches as a fan of the game, ever.

I was hyped up for this season; Lin had a chance to prove himself in a new town, for a new team. And now, those hopes are all but shattered.

Lin is playing in a "system" which works against him and therefore works to the disadvantage of the rockets. Lin is most effective with a high usage rate, initiating the offense. Instead, he's been assigned a passive role, doing nothing but shooting an occasional spot up jumper.

Meanwhile, harden is struggling with his predictable iso-ball/1 on 1 mandate. He's shooting 43% from the field and has more TO's than assists.

The glorious run during Linsanity, and the promise of being one half of the flashiest, and best backcourt in the league, will soon become nothing more than a distant memory as Lin fades into mediocrity and obscurity.

RIP Linsanity, and thanks for the memories. :o

Ebbs
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
It's still so early. I think you're being a tad hard on him.

sidenote anyone see that article in GQ about him aha?

RaiderLakersA's
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
He barely knows where he is. Give the kid a break to figure out his environs. His game will follow.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Kashmir won't like this thread

KNICKS R BACK
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
its still early, but if linsanity really is dead then good riddence...never liked him never will

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Lin is still recovering from a knee surgery. He is 2-4 months away from 100%.

Even so he is still putting up 12/6 with 2.4 steals per game.

Nick O
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
i think hes proven hes good enough to be a starting point guard in the NBA ... considering where he was thats still remarkable

heyman321
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Wow lol just some opinion, I thought it was news that he tore his other knee up or something, that would've been terrible. Give him more time.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 10:24 PM

It's might take him his whole career to heal

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
It's might take him his whole career to heal

Not sure if that is a shot saying he will never be a star or that his knee may never actually recover. But that is true, much rarer now days with medical advances but he could never full recover but he would likely get to at least 90-95%.

Ill21
11-14-2012, 10:31 PM

That's ********. He tore his meniscus in late March and had surgery on April 1st. There is a six week recovery period. Ronnie brewer had the same surgery in July and is pretty much at 100%. Stop making excuses for him.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Not sure if that is a shot saying he will never be a star or that his knee may never actually recover. But that is true, much rarer now days with medical advances but he could never full recover but he would likely get to at least 90-95%.

Bro it's an MCL injury he suffered 8 months ago. Either he has glass knees or he's a *****

sjbirds
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM
are these all the same ny fans that loved him last year? haha

nycericanguy
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM

i dont know if you're being sarcastic or not, but no one takes 1 year to recover from minor meniscus surgery. his timetable was 4-6 weeks. not 1 year...lol.

Ronnie brewer had the same surgery in preseason and hasn't even missed one game or talked about it.

netsgiantsyanks
11-14-2012, 10:38 PM
its still early, but if linsanity really is dead then good riddence...never liked him never will

you didn't like him when he got the knicks to go crazy for that period of time?

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Out for 6 weeks, for a guy who relies on his lateral agility like Lin he is not quite 100% but is still playing at an above average level for an NBA point guard.

TheNumber37
11-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Folks we're looking at Beno Udrich.

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Folks we're looking at Beno Udrich.

Except he never averaged the numbers Lin is now.... Especially not at 24...

:facepalm:

amos1er
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Another product of the D'Antoni system.

D-Leethal
11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Out for 6 weeks, for a guy who relies on his lateral agility like Lin he is not quite 100% but is still playing at an above average level for an NBA point guard.

Come on dude. Its been 30 weeks since his 4-6 week prognosis. :facepalm:

I am a Lin fan and think he will still be a very solid PG when its all said and done but I think its safe to say Rockets had two way better PG's on their roster last year and let them walk so they could sell tickets and leech onto the Asian market left behind by Yao.

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Come on dude. Its been 30 weeks since his 4-6 week prognosis. :facepalm:

I am a Lin fan and think he will still be a very solid PG when its all said and done but I think its safe to say Rockets had two way better PG's on their roster last year and let them walk so they could sell tickets and leech onto the Asian market left behind by Yao.

Well the Lowry trade was instrumental in landing Harden. So no complaints here.

Beltrans Mole
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I miss Lin and wish him the best. Way too early to judge him considering he's probably still sleeping on another teammate's couch in Houston.

Big Zo
11-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Linsanity ended when LeBron ****ed him up last year...

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 11:22 PM

:facepalm: that's not a good enough excuse dude

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 11:25 PM
:facepalm: that's not a good enough excuse dude

Not a good enough excuse? He is pretty much doing what we expected. 12/6/2.4 is a great start ...

jam
11-14-2012, 11:30 PM
2 for 10 from the field. Oh me oh my.

nycericanguy
11-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Not a good enough excuse? He is pretty much doing what we expected. 12/6/2.4 is a great start ...

If HOU only expected 12 & 6 from him they shouldn't have given him $8.5m per year, not when they could have had Dragic. I understand you're trying to temper your expectations, but 12 & 6 is a below average PG. And after tonight he's probably more like 10 & 5.5

He's really been struggling, last 5 games

8.2ppg
31%fg
5.4apg

He's def been a disappointment thus far, but its early.

homestarunner93
11-14-2012, 11:36 PM
It's still so early. I think you're being a tad hard on him.

sidenote anyone see that article in GQ about him aha?

No one reads GQ but you.

lakersiznumber1
11-14-2012, 11:42 PM
well my condolences to his family and friends :pray: lol in all joking aside its still early

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
If HOU only expected 12 & 6 from him they shouldn't have given him $8.5m per year, not when they could have had Dragic. I understand you're trying to temper your expectations, but 12 & 6 is a below average PG. And after tonight he's probably more like 10 & 5.5

He's really been struggling, last 5 games

8.2ppg
31%fg
5.4apg

He's def been a disappointment thus far, but its early.

They are paying him 5 million ...

nycericanguy
11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
They are paying him 5 million ...

no they're not, his contract in HOU is $8.3m over 3 years.

In NY it would have been 5/5/15 had NY matched.

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
no they're not, his contract in HOU is $8.3m over 3 years.

In NY it would have been 5/5/15 had NY matched.

"The Rockets' offer to Lin will pay him $5 million in the first year, $5.225 million in the second and $14.8 million in the third, according to sources."

Regardless even if they pay him 8 million this year they still have room for a max right now.

QueensG_718
11-15-2012, 12:00 AM
The hate lin gets on psd is beyond me! Let the dude get more comfortable with his teammates. Hes an nba pointgaurd while ya jacking off in front of your computers. Lol you guys are something else...

USMCLaker
11-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Most clever title so far this year.

jam
11-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow, I don't have a single player or team to root for this year.

Last year I had some fun watching rubio and it was even more enjoyable watching linsanity.

And at least it was fun rooting against the heat for a couple of seasons.

What now?

Losoway
11-15-2012, 12:45 AM
lin is still recovering from a knee surgery. He is 2-4 months away from 100%.

lmao stfu! Lin knee surgery was cleared to play in the playoffs. He just chose not to to increase his free agency value

face it . The hype is over . He is having a very d league player type season

alexander_37
11-15-2012, 12:57 AM
lmao stfu! Lin knee surgery was cleared to play in the playoffs. He just chose not to to increase his free agency value

face it . The hype is over . He is having a very d league player type season

LMFAO d-league? 20th in APG, 3rd in steals, 24th in scoring among PG.

While he may not be a premier player he is hardly " D-league"

Cromedome
11-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Rest in peace.

If the Rockets didn't get Harden....this would have been a slow painful death to watch.

Max.This
11-15-2012, 01:40 AM
I hope he gets back to his old self. Really pulling for the guy

Blitzace137
11-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Rockets don't know how to use Lin it's that simple McHale is overrated IMO. They have him spotting up and he's used as the secondary ball-handler in that team. Lin is a slasher/cutter he could never get on a role just by spotting up. His ability is still there but he's just not as aggressive because Harden is taking the ball out of his hands, he's differing to Harden way to much.

Rockets were better off with Dragic, Lin would have been better off in NY with Kidd as his mentor. He sure as hell wouldn't be a spot up shooter in NY especially us having guys like Novak and J.R. and a number of weapons to drive and kick too. Who knows maybe after a season or so they can figure out how to use him.

Missing56&33
11-15-2012, 03:04 AM
I disagree..I like what the Rockets are doing and think they play an exciting style of basketball. They got a good team. Lin will be Ok

justinnum1
11-15-2012, 03:08 AM
linsanity was over after miami made him look like a middle school kid out there

metswon69
11-15-2012, 03:09 AM
linsanity was over after miami made him look like a middle school kid out there

This...

sunsfan88
11-15-2012, 03:11 AM
LMFAO d-league? 20th in APG, 3rd in steals, 24th in scoring among PG.

While he may not be a premier player he is hardly " D-league"

20th in scoring? His 12 PPG is 12th in the NBA in terms of scoring? I highly doubt that.

And why are you bragging about Lin being ranked 24th in assists out of all PGs in the NBA? You do realize that what your saying is that Out of 30 starting PGs, Lin is #24 making him in the lower tier.

torocan
11-15-2012, 03:14 AM
The Rockets are a work in progress.

13 new players. Average age 23. Over half the roster is rookies/sophomores.

Oh, and they've only played 8 games together, with their primary scorer only joining the team 2 days before the start of the season.

They haven't even finished adding their all their PnR's and screens.

Nobody knows what the Rockets offense will look like at this point.

Any conclusions drawn before the new year are suspect.

Oh, and they're .500 after 8 games.

I wonder how many rebuilding franchises would kill to be playing so well this soon?

Blitzace137
11-15-2012, 04:03 AM
The Rockets are a work in progress.

13 new players. Average age 23. Over half the roster is rookies/sophomores.

Oh, and they've only played 8 games together, with their primary scorer only joining the team 2 days before the start of the season.

They haven't even finished adding their all their PnR's and screens.

Nobody knows what the Rockets offense will look like at this point.

Any conclusions drawn before the new year are suspect.

Oh, and they're .500 after 8 games.

I wonder how many rebuilding franchises would kill to be playing so well this soon?

The Rockets will be fine as a team but IMO that doesn't change the fact that their not utilizing Lin's skill set. Like you said maybe after they add their PnR's and screen things will fall into place.

Huntey
11-15-2012, 08:26 AM
He's playing exactly to the level I thought he would; he's doing fine but he's not the star people think he is. He's an okay starting PG but nothing more.

BBallfan8
11-15-2012, 10:04 AM
He's playing exactly to the level I thought he would; he's doing fine but he's not the star people think he is. He's an okay starting PG but nothing more.

I wouldn't really call 11 and 6 on 35% shooting "fine" for a starting PG. Especially considering he is averaging 8 and 5 on 32% shooting the past 5 games.

So far this season among PGs he is:

30th in scoring
21st in assists
31st in shooting %

He is among the top in rebounding, steals and has greatly decreased his turnovers however.

nycericanguy
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
He's not getting to the FT line anymore, last year in his 25 game run he was averaging like 7-8 FTA pg, this year he's at 2.6.

Also his TO's being down has alot to do with Harden taking the ball out of his hands so much. In NY he had the ball in his hands ALOT, especially when Melo & Amare were out, so it was only natural that he was going to turn it over 5-6x per game.

I don't know if its just me, but i get the feeling Mchale isn't a big Lin fan, he's relegated Lin to almost being a spot up shooter, which is strange because Lin is not a good outside shooter. And he seems to be trying to even get Toney Douglas more minutes.

IndyRealist
11-15-2012, 10:23 AM
He's definitely putting up starter numbers right now in a system that doesn't favor him.

Chronz
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
20th in scoring? His 12 PPG is 12th in the NBA in terms of scoring? I highly doubt that.

And why are you bragging about Lin being ranked 24th in assists out of all PGs in the NBA? You do realize that what your saying is that Out of 30 starting PGs, Lin is #24 making him in the lower tier.

Below average production is still better than D-League production

LongIslandIcedZ
11-15-2012, 10:30 AM
He'll get it going. The injury can not be used as an excuse. It's been far too long for that to still be an excuse.

He flourished in a D'Antoni system. He's not the same player that he was during that stretch, and he wont ever be that guy.

He's still a good player and one of my favorites, but in retrospect, I'm kind of glad the Knicks went with the Kidd/Felton/Prigioni platoon instead.

Nycbball08
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I wish nothing but the best for Lin, he's a good kid.

strahan92osi72
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Too bad D'Antoni already got the Lakers job. Lin has to be screaming for Mike D's system right now because he's no good without it.

nycericanguy
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM
He's definitely putting up starter numbers right now in a system that doesn't favor him.

If 10 & 6 and 35% shooting are "starter numbers" for a team, that team is in deep trouble.

Dragic putting up 16 & 7 on 47% - HOU let him go why? Even if they really wanted Lin, they could have used Lin off the bench as a combo guard. its not like Dragic was asking for alot more money than Lin. Dragic makes $7.5m this year, Lin - $8.3m

Lowry - 18, 6 & 6 on 55% and making less than $6m.

strahan92osi72
11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
If 10 & 6 and 35% shooting are "starter numbers" for a team, that team is in deep trouble.

Dragic putting up 16 & 7 on 47% - HOU let him go why? Even if they really wanted Lin, they could have used Lin off the bench as a combo guard. its not like Dragic was asking for alot more money than Lin. Dragic makes $7.5m this year, Lin - $8.3m

Lowry - 18, 6 & 6 on 55% and making less than $6m.

I'm just glad some other team was foolish enough to open up their wallets and throw money at him, Houston really saved the Knicks from another bad contract. We already got Amare's contract, they didn't need another one.

Weezy
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I like Lin and he is overrated but I wish nothing but the best for him but Harden is the face of that franchise.

mightybosstone
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Holy crap these threads are getting annoying. The dude is a 23-year-old point guard playing on a completely new team with a new roster of faces for eight days and whose prior experience consisted of a 20 game stretch last season taking over for an injury stricken Knicks team with no other offense. Give the guy a ****ing break!

And everyone keeps talking about how terrible he's been, but aside from his shooting percentages (which are admittedly awful), his numbers aren't bad at all. His 14.5 PER and .100 WS/48 are right at about the league average.

Everyone just needs to chill out. Eight games is not a strong enough sample size, his shots will start falling once he feels more comfortable in this offense and there's enough talent on this roster to be 4-4 after only eight games. He may never be the superstar he was from last season, but I don't think anybody was naive enough to expect that. I'm totally fine with him putting up 12-14 points and 6-7 assists every night as long as his scoring efficiency improves.

nycericanguy
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
^ He's 24.

todu82
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
No surprise to see Lin not doing that well. He had fizzled by the end of the season last year.

mightybosstone
11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
^ He's 24.

Apologies. He was 23 this summer when the Rockets acquired him. Regardless, he's 24 with not even half an NBA season of experience under his belt and only eight games playing with a new roster of players. He deserves far more time than he's been given.

nycericanguy
11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Apologies. He was 23 this summer when the Rockets acquired him. Regardless, he's 24 with not even half an NBA season of experience under his belt and only eight games playing with a new roster of players. He deserves far more time than he's been given.

Lin will always be an interesting story, of course people will discuss him. If he were putting up 20 & 8 there would be threads about him too. Would you be saying "don't make this thread because its only been 8 games" then as well?

And in fairness Lin didn't look too good in the preseason either. Thats 14-15 games where he's shooting under 35% and averaging like 8 & 6. It's not that small of a sample size anymore.

mightybosstone
11-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Lin will always be an interesting story, of course people will discuss him. If he were putting up 20 & 8 there would be threads about him too. Would you be saying "don't make this thread because its only been 8 games" then as well?
Actually, when Linsanity happened last season, I was one of the FIRST people who said the Lin threads needed to stop because of the ridiculously small sample size. But since he's on my team, of course I wouldn't ask for people to stop saying positive things about my favorite team's players. That's insane.

And in fairness Lin didn't look too good in the preseason either. Thats 14-15 games where he's shooting under 35% and averaging like 8 & 6. It's not that small of a sample size anymore.
A few things here...
1. It's preseason and no one gives a ****.
2. You can't average preseason and regular season stats together, because he was playing far fewer minutes.
3. His shooting %s are down, but his assist numbers are up and his turnovers are down. Playing more of a PG role than last season, that's expected.
4. This is a completely different system in New York and the dude didn't even play 40 games there last season, so what did you expect? That he was going to step into a new system and put up 20 and 8?
5. He's shown glimpses in various games, so the talent is obviously there. Once he gets more consistent and his shooting numbers improve, you'll see more games of 16/8 or 17/7, etc.

I don't care if the dude hasn't been shooting lights out with Houston so far. It's way too soon to make any kind of judgments about him. If after 20-30 games, he's still playing like this, we can revisit the issue. But an 8-game sample size is less than 10% of an NBA season.

And if all he does this season is average 14/6 or 12/8, I'd be totally fine with that, given his contract (which was reasonable for a starting PG). He's below that pace right now, but he's only going to get better. Everyone just chill the **** out.

nycericanguy
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
^ hey if you don't want to discuss sports you're in the wrong place.

No one waits for 1/3rd of the season to play out before they discuss anything, that would be pretty boring no?

mightybosstone
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
^ hey if you don't want to discuss sports you're in the wrong place.

No one waits for 1/3rd of the season to play out before they discuss anything, that would be pretty boring no?

Lol. Dude, you're clearly not getting it. I love discussing sports, but starting a thread saying "RIP Linsanity" after eight games is completely ludicrous. If someone wants to start a thread saying "What's wrong with Lin?", that's fine (and I believe we've already had a few of those). But saying that the dude's career is over or that he has no chance of being a star again is insane.

It's not discussion that bothers me, it's the sheer number of threads on the subject and how far people are taking their ridiculous assumptions. Is he playing great basketball right now? No. Could he be playing better? Yes. But no one is disputing these facts. But there are also a million reasons to doubt that he'll play this bad for the entire rest of the season. So until we have a big enough sample size on the kid, I think it's fair to reserve judgment on him.

He115ing
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Linsanity was fun and is definitely gone. But it is too early to write off Lin, Harden and Rockets. The season just started! Were are still in the first month of games. So just chill out and enjoy some bball

NYY 26 to 7
11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Lol. Dude, you're clearly not getting it. I love discussing sports, but starting a thread saying "RIP Linsanity" after eight games is completely ludicrous. If someone wants to start a thread saying "What's wrong with Lin?", that's fine (and I believe we've already had a few of those). But saying that the dude's career is over or that he has no chance of being a star again is insane.

It's not discussion that bothers me, it's the sheer number of threads on the subject and how far people are taking their ridiculous assumptions. Is he playing great basketball right now? No. Could he be playing better? Yes. But no one is disputing these facts. But there are also a million reasons to doubt that he'll play this bad for the entire rest of the season. So until we have a big enough sample size on the kid, I think it's fair to reserve judgment on him.

If I were a fan of the team I would certainly be holding out hope that he improves but as you said its been rough. The real "Linsanity" streak was really about an 8 game stretch and after that he was just solid. Many expected him to go back to that because they blamed Melo's return for Lin coming back to Earth. I think it is crazy to say he is done but just completely my opinion I don't think he is any kind of star. I enjoyed the run last year but didn't like the new bandwagon fans and how it seemed to divide the fanbase and team. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you guys because it sucks to fight within your own fanbase.

It is fair to reserve judgement. I think its just a lot of us Knicks fans who didn't really want Lin back kind of took a beating all offseason from other Knicks/Lin fans who spent months bashing Melo/Woodson/Felton and all of us for being unintelligent or some of the worse ones claiming racism. Some of us didn't love his game and thought we could do the same or better for less money given the team we have. I think it is a better fit for you guys with a young developing team. These threads I think are an opportunity to talk about it being the right decision to let him go (since we are banned from talking about it on the Knicks forum) - just wanted to let you know where some of this might be coming from. I think he will still be a solid player but I don't personally think he is an all-star caliber player or a star but can certainly be very good.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I've been watching and playing basketball for a long time. Linsanity ranks as one of the most enjoyable stretches as a fan of the game, ever.

I was hyped up for this season; Lin had a chance to prove himself in a new town, for a new team. And now, those hopes are all but shattered.

Lin is playing in a "system" which works against him and therefore works to the disadvantage of the rockets. Lin is most effective with a high usage rate, initiating the offense. Instead, he's been assigned a passive role, doing nothing but shooting an occasional spot up jumper.

Meanwhile, harden is struggling with his predictable iso-ball/1 on 1 mandate. He's shooting 43% from the field and has more TO's than assists.

The glorious run during Linsanity, and the promise of being one half of the flashiest, and best backcourt in the league, will soon become nothing more than a distant memory as Lin fades into mediocrity and obscurity.

:facepalm:

KnickFanSince91
11-15-2012, 02:18 PM
:dance:

alexander_37
11-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Before last nights game he had 32 assists and 32 turnovers.:facepalm:

PSD where 32 is more than 32.