PDA

View Full Version : Melo to Kobe: D'Antoni Plays No D! Kobe to Melo: When Have You Played D?

KB-Pau-DH2012
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/11/kobe-bryant-ethers-carmelo-anthony-for-criticizing-mike-dantonis-defensive-coaching-skills

The struggles of Mike D'Antoni as coach of the New York Knicks are well documented. If you were looking to pinpoint a specific reason, it would be a difficult task. However, one problem that does stick out is Knicks' ineffectiveness on the defensive end. And when looking at what Walt Frazier would call the Knickerbockers' "swiss cheese defense," one major issue was Carmelo Anthony and his inability to commit to anything outside of the offensive side of the ball.

So when the Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni early this morning, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reflected on the deal in a piece that had some interesting information, including this funny story involving Melo and Bryant, who were discussed D'Antoni shortly after his departure from the Knicks.

When Anthony grumbled to Bryant about D'Antoni's defensive acumen on a trip to Los Angeles before the coach's resignation in New York, one witness says Bryant shot back to Anthony only half-kidding that, seriously, when the hell have you ever played defense?

Kobe's got jokes! Maybe that conversation has been the catalyst in Anthony's new-found dedication to both the offensive and defensive end.

justinnum1
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
:laugh:

Hawkeye15
11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Kobe is right on haha.

Cal827
11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
In before some Knick fan gets mad, and uses the Knick's season thus far to justify Melo playing defense for his whole career.

Ebbs
11-14-2012, 08:22 PM
How is this a story. A witness heard Kobe and Melo joking about this for real?

justinnum1
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
In before some Knick fan gets mad, and uses the Knick's season thus far to justify Melo playing defense for his whole career.

:laugh2:

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
This is so old, but still funny.

Hopefully Kobe passes the ball. System requires a lot of ball movement.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2012, 08:28 PM

there would have been some chirps had Melo retorted with that. Neither like to share...

More-Than-Most

I now love Kobe...Sorry but that is a ****ing burn

thephoenixson28
Hahaha true. Diantoni didn't succeed in New York cuz he didn't have a pass first point guard, and when he did with Felton he had success.

Im_in_Mia_bish
11-14-2012, 08:29 PM
lol

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
there would have been some chirps had Melo retorted with that. Neither like to share...

That's why it didn't work in NY, Melo has glue hands. Kobe just flats out doesn't pass the ball.

97NYer
He has every right to say that he has years of experience on Melo and Melo was known to not play defense. That being said, though, Melo's defense has actually been well above average this season and last season.

LA_Raiders
lol,

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:31 PM
He has every right to say that he has years of experience on Melo and Melo was known to not play defense. That being said, though, Melo's defense has actually been well above average this season and last season.

Up until this year Melo hasn't even say the word defense more less play some

shep33
11-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Haha awesome

Melo's defense this year is a lot better. He's more active then I've ever seen. Last year, even with Woody, I saw some really bad efforts

Kobe isn't a very good defender these days anyways lol. When he wants to though he can shut most guys down. Under Phil, if we ever needed one stop, we'd put Kobe on Pierce, etc.

meloman1592
11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
its funny i can admit

noodle
11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
He's playing some now.

C-Style
11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

U mean Carmelo? Dude is a poor passer.

C-Style
11-14-2012, 08:47 PM
That's why it didn't work in NY, Melo has glue hands. Kobe just flats out doesn't pass the ball.

:laugh2: The Irony, Melo's career is just 3 assist per game and is averaging 1 assist thus far lol

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:47 PM
U mean Carmelo? Dude is a poor passer.

Both guys can't pass the ball for ****. Melo doesn't know how to pass the ball when doubled, and Kobe doesn't know how to pass period. He keeps trying to be his 81 points performance

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
:laugh2: The Irony, Melo's career is just 3 assist per game and is averaging 1 assist thus far lol

Kobe has the ball 99% of the time, Melo doesn't. Kobe brings the ball up the court, Melo doesn't. Either way they're both ball hogs

Mudvayne91
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I always thought Melo was an underrated passer. Now the willingness to is another thing.

C-Style
11-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Both guys can't pass the ball for ****. Melo doesn't know how to pass the ball when doubled, and Kobe doesn't know how to pass period. He keeps trying to be his 81 points performance

Kobe is 20 times the passer Melo is. With 15 season above 5 assist per game compared to a career of just 3 is the same difference between Kobe and Lebron(-2). Thats how bad Melo is.

SirSkyHook
11-14-2012, 08:51 PM

This statement lets me know how many Lakers games youve actualy watched lol

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
LOL You're ********. This isn't 2006-2007.

Watch some Lakers games and do some research before you post your ******** thoughts.

:facepalm: grow up dude.

I've watch lakers game (as boring as they are) and he doesn't pass. You're a lakers fan so I don't blame you for disagreeing

Chronz
11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Kobe has the ball 99% of the time, Melo doesn't. Kobe brings the ball up the court, Melo doesn't. Either way they're both ball hogs

Proof?

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Kobe is 20 times the passer Melo is. With 15 season above 5 assist per game compared to a career of just 3 is the same difference between Kobe and Lebron(-2). Thats how bad Melo is.

Kobe Bryant is a better passer than melo, he just doesn't pass a lot that's the point

C-Style
11-14-2012, 08:54 PM

I've watch lakers game (as boring as they are) and he doesn't pass. You're a lakers fan so I don't blame you for disagreeing

You obviously haven't

LakersMaster24
LOL You're ********. This isn't 2006-2007.

Watch some Lakers games and do some research before you post your ******** thoughts.

Have you watched the past 9 games?Kobe has been a facilitator ever since Nash got injured.

Kobe played PG for most of the 4th quarter yesterday.

GiantsSwaGG
This statement lets me know how many Lakers games youve actualy watched lol

This season not many, thru out his career I've watch Kobe play a lot

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Have you watched the past 9 games?Kobe has been a facilitator ever since Nash got injured.

So Nash needs to get hurt in order for him to pass the ball....

Good to know. What happens when Nash comes back?

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
You obviously haven't

So you know what I watch?

LakersMaster24
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM

So Nash needs to get hurt in order for him to pass the ball....

Good to know. What happens when Nash comes back?

You're a stupid troll. Kobe averaged 5+ assists for most of his career, which is damn impressive for a SG. You are clueless.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
You're a stupid troll. Kobe averaged 5+ assists for most of his career, which is damn impressive for a SG. You are clueless.

You're a well known troll. Iverson average close to 8 yet was considered a ball hog. Everyone in the world knows Kobe is a ball hog. Stop it laker fan

jimm120
11-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Hahaha true. Diantoni didn't succeed in New York cuz he didn't have a pass first point guard, and when he did with Felton he had success.

This knicks started 3-8 and then went on a 13-1 run...but then were back to losing by going 12-17 before the Melo trade.

EVEN with a fast paced, young, shooting team, Dantoni still sucked balls.

You could say that dantoni had "4 different teams" while in NY, but in ALL 4 "different teams", he displayed the SAME errors. Sorry. Not gonna agree with "him not having a pass first pg".

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:02 PM
This knicks started 3-8 and then went on a 13-1 run...but then were back to losing by going 12-17 before the Melo trade.

EVEN with a fast paced, young, shooting team, Dantoni still sucked balls.

You could say that dantoni had "4 different teams" while in NY, but in ALL 4 "different teams", he displayed the SAME errors. Sorry. Not gonna agree with "him not having a pass first pg".

PG was one of the reasons why his system didn't work here. I hate his guts too but lets be fair

envymamba24
11-14-2012, 09:03 PM

yea and four and a half assists a game last year for a SHOOTING GUARD. i think its hilarious when people say kobe doesnt pass, hes one of the more artful passers in the game

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Right now Melo is taking 21 shots per game (19 career avg) and with 1.6 assist.

Kobe right now is taking 17 shots per game(19 career avg) and with 4.6 assist.

Looks like you got the ball hog on ur team. Maybe Melo should shoot less and pass more.

sportscrazed
11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
When Kobe dribbles for 22 seconds and passes the ball, the person is forced to shoot. If that ball goes in it is an assist. Assists do not truly judge passing ability IMO.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Right now Melo is taking 21 shots per game (19 career avg) and with 1.6 assist.

Kobe right now is taking 17 shots per game(19 career avg) and with 4.6 assist.

Looks like you got the ball hog on ur team. Maybe Melo should shoot less and pass more.

Kidd averages 3 assist this season. I guess Kobe passes more than him right. Stats don't tell the whole story bud.

Plus Kobe is playing PG

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
So you know what I watch?

I know you don't watch Laker games. That's for sure, Ive been watching Laker games since 96 and to say he doesn't pass the ball tells me that you don't watch Laker games. Kobe, for being a volume scorer passes a lot.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
When Kobe dribbles for 22 seconds and passes the ball, the person is forced to shoot. If that ball goes in it is an assist. Assists do not truly judge passing ability IMO.

Laker fans seem to not get that

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM

lol wut?

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Kidd averages 3 assist this season. I guess Kobe passes more than him right. Stats don't tell the whole story bud.

Plus Kobe is playing PG

It's different, Kobe is finding open men. Kidd, this season just gets rid of the ball, He doesn't have the ability to create.

sportscrazed
11-14-2012, 09:11 PM
C-Style, its like claiming fielding percentage indicates how good of a fielder someone is.

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
When did Kobe ever dribble the ball for 22 seconds just to ditch the ball in a system like the triangle? News to me

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
It's different, Kobe is finding open men. Kidd, this season just gets rid of the ball, He doesn't have the ability to create.

That's my point. Stats doesn't tell the whole story. By your logic you're saying kobe passes more than Kidd...

Stop acting like Kobe doesn't hog the ball. Everybody in the world knows he does. It's alright. Melo is a ball hog as well, and gets bash for it

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Iverson averages 8 assist. Why is considered a ball hog?

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Ppl be making up some stories and not expecting to get called on it, shame. Kobe gets called a ball hog cause he takes a lot of ill advised shots but most of them are bail out shots but you do get your "wtf was that shots" often as well, But Kobe never dribbled the ball for 22 seconds in a 24 second shot just to pass it the last second, specially in a system like the triangle that won him 5 rings. and to say he doesn't pass the ball is dumb, Melo is the one who doesn't pass the ball.

3ddiiee
11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Kobe gets real once again

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Iverson averages 8 assist. Why is considered a ball hog?

Because Iverson is a player who could've thrived as a PG and average over 10 assist if He really wanted to, instead he decided to take 22 shots per game and not being so efficient did not help his case. Kobe is a shooting guard who has no business averaging 5-6 assist per game, yet he still does it.

Shlumpledink
11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
It's funny how Kobe haters all say the same things throughout time. Kobe actually passes a lot. You wouldn't know it if you watched Kobe while hating him and thinking he doesn't pass.

If you actually watched the games, you would note that metta world peace is the one dominating the ball in the Lakers offense.

Kobe gets this wrap because of how much he shoots the ball. But shooting a lot doesn't mean you don't pass the ball. Kobe has played on a lot of teams who have a tendency to defer to him too much. Pass him the ball during broken offensive sets/ late in the shot clock.

I watch a large portion of laker games, and it has been a long time since I have seen kobe dribble around for 20 seconds and then pass to someone for an assist.

One thing Kobe will do though, is turn the ball over a lot. If you watch, a lot of those turnovers are on passes.

The goods
11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
The mamba strikes again. Lol hahahaha

Shlumpledink
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Because Iverson is a player who could've thrived as a PG and average over 10 assist if He really wanted to, instead he decided to take 22 shots per game and not being so efficient did not help his case. Kobe is a shooting who has no business averaging 5-6 assist per game, yet he still does it.

Very true. Iverson had the capabilities of being a point guard, and had the point guard body. But iverson offense consisted of a lot of dribbling. He got open off the dribble, not off the ball.

C-Style
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
One thing Kobe will do though, is turn the ball over a lot. If you watch, a lot of those turnovers are on passes.

Yeah, ever sense he messed up those fingers he has become a TO machine.

noodle
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Carmelo never *** raped anyone.

bigbeardaboss
11-14-2012, 09:31 PM
The fact that, prior to this season, Melo never dedicated himself on the defensive end is no secret. Infact, he has several defensive lapses last night that Woody called him out on. What matters today to his current team and coach is what he does this season. Its called growth and improvement.

Whatever it is, D'Antoni has yet to inspire defensive tenacity from any of his NBA teams and in the blink of an eye, Coach Woody has gotten more out of Melo than D'Antoni ever did and has transformed this Knick team into a team that plays hard on both sides of the floor.

A task which D'Antoni has failed

Pakman
11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Lol at the giants fan. Will stick up for his guy even if he knows he's wrong. Smh

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Lol at the giants fan. Will stick up for his guy even if he knows he's wrong. Smh

When did I stick up for Melo?

keetyweedy
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
BURN (in my michael kelso voice) lol

KobeOwnSU
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM

Ok, well next time one of you haters are going on and on about Kobe's shooting percentage and being a chucker or ballhog, how about you use your own logic? You do realize that teammates use Kobe as a bailout option? Guess who gets the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock and is forced to jack up a shot?

Max.This
11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Good one :clap: we're still gonna whip that *** on the court.

alexander_37
11-14-2012, 11:45 PM
How is this a story. A witness heard Kobe and Melo joking about this for real?

My thoughts exactly.

Captain Moroni
11-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Why would this upset a Knicks fan? It's very funny.

LakersMaster24
11-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Giant's fan is a cuntmuscle no need to waste time on a empty space like him.

Losoway
11-15-2012, 12:33 AM
smh made up story

naps
11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
LOL. It's like in next off-season Melo replying with "Seriously, when the hell did you pass the ball?"

Gram
11-15-2012, 01:19 AM

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-15-2012, 02:23 AM
You guys are taking this way too personally. Kobe and Melo are friends. Friends give eachother crap as friendly ribbings. Melo probably laughed it off and made fun if Kobe in some way

SA5195
11-15-2012, 02:28 AM
lmao :laugh2:

Chavacano
11-15-2012, 02:41 AM
:burn: