PDA

View Full Version : 100 Points will Never Be Scored Again.

StarvingKnick22
11-14-2012, 08:07 PM
As we all know, Wilt had a game against the Knicks, in which he scored exactly 100 points. The closest anyone has ever gotten to that is Kobe when he scored 81. His record- Kobe's record for that matter may never be broken. Especially since the creation of "zones" and better rules of goaltending. Teams aren't like they use to be, no one would let their teammate hog the ball for 48 minutes to go on a rampage, unless if a PG was getting a lot of assist out of it. BUT if a player can score every minute at least once, he can get pretty close. What do you think of this?
What other NBA records do you think will never be broken?

P Harvy
11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
this is so obvious haha

Fly
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
As we all know, Wilt had a game against the Knicks, in which he scored exactly 100 points. The closest anyone has ever gotten to that is Kobe when he scored 81. His record- Kobe's record for that matter may never be broken. Especially since the creation of "zones" and better rules of goaltending. Teams aren't like they use to be, no one would let their teammate hog the ball for 48 minutes to go on a rampage, unless if a PG was getting a lot of assist out of it. BUT if a player can score every minute at least once, he can get pretty close. What do you think of this?

Russell Westbrook?

Hawkeye15
11-14-2012, 08:11 PM
the pace of today's game, as well as teams actually playing defense (unlike most teams back then during the track meet era), should make it obvious 100 is never being touched.

StarvingKnick22
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
yeah

knicks=love
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
the pace of today's game, as well as teams actually playing defense (unlike most teams back then during the track meet era), should make it obvious 100 is never being touched.

this

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I think Kobe proved that it could be done. He also had that 60+ point performance against Dallas that season where he was held out of part of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter.

There is a difference of course between if it could happen, and if I think i will ever happen. I would say no, I don't see it ever happening again. The Lakers were awful that season and they NEEDED Kobe to score a lot. If you ever get a player as talented as Kobe or LBJ or Jordan, playing for a team that had no real offesive options (perhaps like the Bobcats last season) then I believe they could score that many points in a game, espcially if you gave them a couple of overtimes (let's say two... that certainly would have been enough for Kobe to reach 100).

That however, is extremely unlikely.

But is a player and coach were out to prove something, and the coach ran every play through a player, I believe it could be done. It is just very unlikely.

nickdymez
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Kobe can still do it.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I will say, maybe if there is some triple OT game where one player is just scoring everything for his team. Bout the only chance I can think of.

Avenged
11-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Can I say llullz, Hawkeye? This is the perfect moment.

Cal827
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Lets get back to this after Ray Allen goes 30-30 from 3 point range in a game vs the Raptors :facepalm:

AL F***ING JEFFERSON FREAKING HITS THREES AGAINST US :cry:

Chronz
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Yea no one is topping Kobes 81 unless theres another guy like him but in an Allen Iverson type situation. With handchecking being what it is, I would have said Rose has the best chance if he was in a bad enough situation.

netsgiantsyanks
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
i don't think anybody will even get past kobe's 81.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Can I say llullz, Hawkeye? This is the perfect moment.

may as well stay consistent with your posting style you have adopted..

KnicksorBust
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Wilt wouldn't have gotten 100 if that game had modern era media coverage. Can you imagine how the twitter universe would have exploded if this was happening:

"Philadelphia began quickly fouling New York with around four minutes left, reciprocating the intentional foul strategy.[54] Warriors coach Frank McGuire at one point pulled out his entire starting five, save Chamberlain, (i.e. forwards Tom Meschery, Al Attles and guards Guy Rodgers and Paul Arizin) and sent in bench players Joe Ruklick, York Larese, Ed Conlin and Ted Luckenbill. The intention was to foul the Knicks, get the ball back after free throws and give Chamberlain the ball. Thus each team spent the last minutes fouling each other.[51] "

Chronz
11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Wilt wouldn't have gotten 100 if that game had modern era media coverage. Can you imagine how the twitter universe would have exploded if this was happening:

"Philadelphia began quickly fouling New York with around four minutes left, reciprocating the intentional foul strategy.[54] Warriors coach Frank McGuire at one point pulled out his entire starting five, save Chamberlain, (i.e. forwards Tom Meschery, Al Attles and guards Guy Rodgers and Paul Arizin) and sent in bench players Joe Ruklick, York Larese, Ed Conlin and Ted Luckenbill. The intention was to foul the Knicks, get the ball back after free throws and give Chamberlain the ball. Thus each team spent the last minutes fouling each other.[51] "

Dont forget the Knicks fouling everyone but Wilt to keep him off the line.

asandhu23
11-14-2012, 08:49 PM

The thing is Wilt's team mates were passing it to him and coach was telling him to shoot away. Then the fans got into it. The Knicks tried to run as much time off the clock as they could and triple - quadruple team him. Of course, it didn't work.

Its not just Wilt saying this. Every player who was there said that. Al Attles mentions it every time he is asked about that night.

asandhu23
11-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Dont forget the Knicks fouling everyone but Wilt to keep him off the line.

and doing a very ****** job at it. It was Wilt's night. Had an amazing game at the line.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
No ****.

Jetsguy
11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Not gonna lie when I saw this thread and who made it my first thought was a thread about nobody ever scoring 100 on the Knicks again Haha

Baller1
11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
I can see Lebron or KD hitting 70+ at some point in their careers.

tnewkirk
11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Duh.

ThunderousDemon
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
may as well stay consistent with your posting style you have adopted..

llullz

knicks=love
11-21-2012, 11:24 AM
:laugh:

greg_ory_2005
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
138 muh ****a

StarvingKnick22
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
:laugh:

I lead you to the thread you know. But its still NCAA. Its not happening in the NBA.:(

whitemamba33
11-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Not only do you have to have the right player, but it has to be the right situation.

In Wilt's case, many reports claim that as the game went on getting 100 was the priority. So you take one of the most dominant scorers of all time, put him in an era where the pace is frantic and the defense is light, and you have other players on the court who are determined to get him to a certain number.

In Kobe's case, he was on a team full of scrubs, they were playing terrible, and the Lakers were losing to the Raptors at halftime...AND he was a scoring machine...AND Kobe possesses the "kiss my *****" attitude that is needed.

The NCAA guy - i'm sure there is more to the story than what we are hearing. You don't let a kid take 71 three pointers without there being some kind of reason for it. The other kid on the team scored 70 points, so perhaps the two teams just agreed to let these two kids go head to head. Regardless, while it still takes a tremendous amount of skill to score when everybody on the other teams knows you are the one that is going to be scoring...i'm not really all that impressed.

JNA17
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I will never deny The possibility of anything. Even something as big as 100 points in a game. Kobe as he is mentioned several times, proved it himself that IT CAN be done, and he was close not once, BUT TWO TIMES! One on that 81 point game, and another when he outscored the top ranked Dallas team all by himself in the first 3 quarters with 60+ points. Then he was taken out part of the third and out the entire 4th.

I think it can be done. Just like Wilt's and Kobe's case, all it takes is the right situation, the right year, the right team, the right game. Who knows? What if one day, the coach of the Bobcats two years from now after having another losing season tells his future star player (Kemba or a potential future star if they ever get one) to just "go nuts", and shoot as many times as you like?

ChongInc.
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
it'll happen. it may take 100 years, but it'll happen.

knicks=love
11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
close it, **** was broke last night

torocan
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
It's HIGHLY unlikely to happen for several reasons ASIDE from pace.

-Coaches RARELY play players for the full 48 minutes, if ever nowadays. Wilt averaged OVER 48 minutes per game in ONE season... you'll likely never see that happen again.

-It's highly unlikely you'll ever see a team just DUMP the ball into the hands of a single player over and over again like they did for Wilt.

-You would need a near perfect mismatch in terms of opponent. That's not going to happen against 20+ teams in the league even if everything else lines up.

So ALOT of things would have to happen for that to happen again. Right player, right opponent and deliberate coaching decisions on Time played and offensive choices mean that it's not likely it will happen again in our lifetimes.