PDA

View Full Version : Would a trade to the Lakers make Amare an All Star again?

Fresno
11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Obviously it could only happen involving him replace Gasol via trade.

The Lakers now have the PG in Steve Nash, system, & head coach in D'Antoni who helped Amare make 5 All-NBA teams & 6 All Star game.

When he gets back it would be the perfect situation for him to flourish once again as a 20-22 PPG scorer along with defensive help coming from Dwight.

SACNYY
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't know if it'd even be a good fit. Gasol is better.

P Harvy
11-14-2012, 03:49 PM
People forget that Amare can still ball. He's just in the wrong situation.. So I think he'd be a better fit in LA but at the same time no.

Rivera
11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
No because dwight is gonna clog the paint. Amare works best when he has shooters around him so he can have the paint to himself

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
with the new voting system he can forget bout being voted an starter.

then durant, love, griffin, aldrige, M gasol, howard, randolph............

wouldnt make it.

But on the other side you can BET your arse that Pau on the knics would be back to the game :D

KnickaBocka.44
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
People forget that Amare can still ball. He's just in the wrong situation.. So I think he'd be a better fit in LA but at the same time no.

There would be no difference in situation on the Lakers other than having Nash. And Amare and Felton had good chemistry before so I think the difference would be minimal.

310Casper
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
As a laker fan, we'd rather keep gasol over amare.

No thanks.

Fresno
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't know if it'd even be a good fit. Gasol is better.

Gasol is a more skilled player, but Amare is a huge part of D'Antoni's success with his offense. That is why he is one of the best pick&roll big men in NBA history and to make things even easier he would be re-united with Steve Nash.

The thought of the pick & roll with Nash/Amare working together to go along with Kobe scoring on the perimeter and Dwight anchoring the defense + rebounding would make LA nearly unstoppable.

But its kind of a moot point since Amare is out with an injury.

justinnum1
11-14-2012, 03:55 PM
No because dwight is gonna clog the paint. Amare works best when he has shooters around him so he can have the paint to himself

this...not to mention the lakers would naever take on 3 more years of amare uninsured. i dont think any competent GM would for that matter.

gasol can do everything amare can but better, including staying healthy

KnickaBocka.44
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Gasol is a more skilled player, but Amare is a huge part of D'Antoni's success with his offense. That is why he is one of the best pick&roll big men in NBA history and to make things even easier he would be re-united with Steve Nash.

The thought of the pick & roll with Nash/Amare working together to go along with Kobe scoring on the perimeter and Dwight anchoring the defense + rebounding would make LA nearly unstoppable.

But its kind of a moot point since Amare is out with an injury.

Dwight clogs the paint instead of Tyson, same problem different coast.

Fresno
11-14-2012, 03:59 PM

But Amare doesn't pass out of pick&rolls.

He has tunnel vision to the basket for a dunk or foul.

All of the isolation stuff happened in NY because the Knicks didn't have another big man on the floor who could command any attention.

Lake_Show2416
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
No 1 wants Amare

Fresno
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Tyson Chandler clogged the paint for him last year because he isn't a factor on offense, unlike Dwight. His man doesn't have to respect him doing anything because he is skill-less on offense and can slide over to help on Amare. Not to mention he is an average offensive rebounder when you look at raw %'s.

Amare proved that a C clogging the paint with Shaq didn't affect him. Despite Shaq being less active on both ends of the floor than Dwight is right now, but Shaq still drew defensive attention. The downside was Shaq slowed their offense down and limited Amare from getting more fast break points.

Dwight doesn't offer that issue in LA because he gets down the court just as well as Amare.

KnickaBocka.44
11-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Tyson Chandler clogged the paint for him last year because he isn't a factor on offense, unlike Dwight. His man doesn't have to respect him doing anything because he is skill-less on offense and can slide over to help on Amare. Not to mention he is an average offensive rebounder when you look at raw %'s.

Amare proved that a C clogging the paint with Shaq didn't affect him. Despite Shaq being less active on both ends of the floor than Dwight is right now, but Shaq still drew defensive attention. The downside was Shaq slowed their offense down and limited Amare from getting more fast break points.

Dwight doesn't offer that issue in LA because he gets down the court just as well as Amare.

I see the point you are trying to make, but in the given situation Tyson would only be having to go up and dunk or lay it in. He can do that just as well. Tyson may not grab offensive boards but he is phenomenal at tipping them out to teammates on the perimeter.

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2012, 04:37 PM
There is no need to trade Gasol. He's got a better contract, he has the range Amare has, and he does two things Amare doesn't do well: defend and rebound.

Gasol is perfect for 'Antoni's P&R.

Plus, I think LAL likes that they have as many contracts coming off the books when LBJ is a free agent. I don't think they'd want to pick up Amare's contract and ruin that.

I understand the rumours, but it's not a good trade for LAL.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
this...not to mention the lakers would naever take on 3 more years of amare uninsured. i dont think any competent GM would for that matter.

Gasol doesn't have the athleticism Amare has but Gasol is the better player.

Keep I'm mind, Dantoni doesn't care. He values offense more than defense.

shep33
11-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Sums up how the LAL forum and I feel lol.

Chronz
11-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Amare and Shaq were great together. Porter slowed them down

shep33
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I'd rather trade him for Bargs or Smith in a 3way deal. Or keep him. There's lots of plate glass at Staples.

SINCESTARBURY25
11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I could see Amare for Pau

Matrix3132
11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Gasol doesn't have the athleticism Amare has but Gasol is the better player.

Keep I'm mind, Dantoni doesn't care. He values offense more than defense.

Amare doesn't have the athleticism Amare HAD, he and gasol are closer in that category than most realize.

5ass
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd rather trade him for Bargs or Smith in a 3way deal. Or keep him. There's lots of plate glass at Staples.

I hear their fire extinguishers are *******s, amare will not like it.

NYY 26 to 7
11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
But Amare doesn't pass out of pick&rolls.

He has tunnel vision to the basket for a dunk or foul.

All of the isolation stuff happened in NY because the Knicks didn't have another big man on the floor who could command any attention.

Not even close to true.

LA would be an awful fit. LA needs a stretch 4 in D'Antonis offense. This killed us in NY because amar'es success was off the p&r which chandler was running as the 5. The 4 is supposed to be in the corner at the 3 point line for spacing allowing the pg and 5 space to create. Neither Pau or Amare are a good fit as a 4 in D'Antoni's offense. I swear its like some people don't watch the games to understand what is going on. Amare in LA would be worse than NY and I would expect it to be much improved this year with the more traditional roles on offense for the Knicks and Amare. D'Antoni needs outside shooters not amar'e

DanG
11-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Lakers are not trading Pau for Amare. Pau is the better player and Amare is often injured.

Bishnoff
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM

Most likely this.

The goods
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Dwight and Amare is a terrible combination.

GiantsSwaGG
11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Amare doesn't have the athleticism Amare HAD, he and gasol are closer in that category than most realize.

He has it. He even admitted he wasn't in shape last year and didn't rehab well. The one preseason game he played this year, from the looks of it, his athleticism is back

asandhu23
11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Do other teams not exist?

StarvingKnick22
11-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Id trade Amare in a heartbeat If Gasol was included.

HeaTxRipZz
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Not even close to true.

LA would be an awful fit. LA needs a stretch 4 in D'Antonis offense. This killed us in NY because amar'es success was off the p&r which chandler was running as the 5. The 4 is supposed to be in the corner at the 3 point line for spacing allowing the pg and 5 space to create. Neither Pau or Amare are a good fit as a 4 in D'Antoni's offense. I swear its like some people don't watch the games to understand what is going on. Amare in LA would be worse than NY and I would expect it to be much improved this year with the more traditional roles on offense for the Knicks and Amare. D'Antoni needs outside shooters not amar'e

Wrong on plenty of levels. All of a sudden Amare is a bad fit in a D'Antoni offense? C'mon on now I'm pretty sure for 5-6 years Steve Nash, Amare and Shawn Marion made that guy's career. I agree he needs shooters but his offense heavily relies on a ton PNR's as well as scoring in 7 secs or less. I'm going to tell you what will be the problem with Amare in LA. It's the same problem that he had in NY. Iso-heavy players. Like Melo, Kobe likes to create his own where as Mike likes for his PG's to create for everyone else. The way his offense works it's relegated between the PG and PF/C while the wing guys stand there and wait for that open jumper. Kobe being the player he is will not allow that to happen which for a player like Amare it'll make him less affective. It has nothing to do with Dwight or Tyson or even Amare playing center

knicks=love
11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
i think it would be a better fit for the lakers than for the knicks. maybe i'm just being biased? i don't know, but i think being around d'antoni and nash again could bring him back to a better level of play than recent. not all-star worthy, but close.

Max.This
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
As a knick fan I'd love to get rid of Amare. I honestly could careless if its a draft pick , fast food or a colored paper clip. On a side note, fans of all sort, whether laker or any other team fan needs to stop bringing up a trade Josh smith for Pau Gasol. That **** is never going to happen. If you were Atlanta you would never do that trade and if you Were the T-Wolves you wouldnt swap Love for Gasol. Wake the **** up

Spurred1
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't work for the Lakers-if Dwight is unable to play, the Lakers know that Gasol is capable of playing center position effectively. Gasol can play defense and is a very good rebounder-he had to play center position often when Bynum was injured and they made their run against Orlando in the Finals using Gasol and Odom on Dwight since Bynum was either out with fouls or just hurt again. I'm not sure one could say the same about Amare. Amare is the more offensive player and he really was lighting it up for the Knicks when he first got there.
I'm also not sure a Nash/D'Antoni/Amare reunion is really the way to a championship. Defense will take a horrible hit with Nash and Amare on the floor together.
And the biggest reason for this not happening is Amare's contract. Nobody sane would want a player with an injury history and no insured contract.

Hugbees
11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Gasol doesn't fit the Knick's current roster too well either. Given that Melo is flourishing at the 4, not to mention they have Sheed, Novak, Thomas, and Camby, all of whom are capable of playing the position. They'd be better off searching for a third team with expiring contracts.

PS
I lurk these forums a lot, at least Knick fans don't think their guy is capable of landing a Smith or Love (a la some Lakers fans) lol.

KNICKS R BACK
11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
where does the "sign" of the sign and trade part kick in? LOL...as a knicks fan i would do it in a heartbeat, i dont think the lakers would be interested though...pau gasol would put the knicks in the top echelon of the league with miami, okc, and LAL

Avenged
11-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Nope BUT the trade would make Pau an all-star again.

Raidaz4Life
11-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd be more interested in a Bargnani swap

justinnum1
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
I'd be more interested in a Bargnani swap

that would help a lot on offense, but would kill any chance the lakers have of being a good defensive team, not to mention get dwight howard in a ton of foul trouble.

Mcdoh
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Pass..

Raidaz4Life
11-14-2012, 07:26 PM
that would help a lot on offense, but would kill any chance the lakers have of being a good defensive team, not to mention get dwight howard in a ton of foul trouble.

Perhaps, but honestly I don't think the hit on d between Bargnani and Gasol would be enough to not explore getting a younger player who'd fit much better next to Dwight.

USMCLaker
11-15-2012, 12:14 AM
There is no need to trade Gasol. He's got a better contract, he has the range Amare has, and he does two things Amare doesn't do well: defend and rebound.

Gasol is perfect for 'Antoni's P&R.

Plus, I think LAL likes that they have as many contracts coming off the books when LBJ is a free agent. I don't think they'd want to pick up Amare's contract and ruin that.

I understand the rumours, but it's not a good trade for LAL.

Oh my lord your sig clogs my brain!!!

97NYer
11-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Amar'e and a first rounder might entice LA enough. Especially if we threw in Brewer to replace Metta.

Sactown
11-15-2012, 12:38 AM
A deal with the Devil for a pair of mechanical knee's is the only way Amare will be an all star again

sunnydayin'zona
11-15-2012, 01:01 AM

Shaq's Suns missed the playoffs because he and amare didnt work. The next year they made WCF. Amare cant play well with normal C's

Lakers + Giants
11-15-2012, 01:02 AM
I'd Rather have Jamison starting than trade Gasol for Amare.