PDA

View Full Version : Was Okur the greatest Stretch-5 in History?

Chronz
11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Simple question

Hawkize31
11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
What is a stretch-5?

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Simple answer:

NO

Reason: Jack sikma .

ManningToTyree
11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
I can't think of anyone at the moment to argue for, but I am sure the answer to your question is no.

CB29
11-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Manute Bol ftw & rip.

Chronz
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
LOL at Bol. He actually caught fire one random night. But still, no

Not sure I would rate Sikma up there considering he didn't start bombing away till he was out of his prime. Memo was an actual ALL-STAR while bombing away.

DreamShaker
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
At first glance, it seems insane to say that Okur is the best anything. But...he was DEADLY as a stretch 5. He destroyed the Rockets as a 7 footer who could knock down the 3. The tough thing about a guy like Okur is that he was tough inside and a good post defender and rebounder as well. So he could stay on the court, as he wasn't one dimensional. I believe he even made an all-star team. I am not sure he was the best, but for what he was, few did it better.

NYY 26 to 7
11-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Sabonis was better.

And Bargnani will be the best by far - maybe already is.

Daaaarryyl
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Bol was sick that night, I'll never forget it becasue it was so mind boggling.

Sonics went to the finals in '96 with a great "stretch 5" in Sam Perkins. Getting that far in the playoffs counts for something IMO even if he was the 4th option most nights (Kemp, Payton, Detlef).

the_jon
11-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Sabonis was better.

Bargs isn't a 5......he's barely a 4

nacdaddy
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
arvydas sabonis.

one could also argue yao as a great stretch 5 with his ability to his 20 footers all day

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Not sure I would rate Sikma up there considering he didn't start bombing away till he was out of his prime. Memo was an actual ALL-STAR while bombing away.

you dont have to be an allstar to be one of the best or the best at something.

I mean, if you ask bout top notch 3 p shooters everybody will point at the birds, millers , houstons or allens.

But you know, this dudes like hodges, kerr, ellis not really good for much else may have been equal or better at it.

Sikma had both thing, was a hell of an strecher and an alltime great ( that i miss by the way)

Baller1
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd say he was. Okur seems to get forgotten quite often when talking about three point shooters of the mid 2000's. He was an insane shooter, and was a main cog of those Deron Williams-led Jazz.

I think it's a fair assessment to give Okur that title.

the avenger
11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Brad Lohaus?

heyman321
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Sabonis was better.

Yeah Bargnani is the best -- at eating pasta. Okur is/was way better than him, and Okur could rebound too.

dhopisthename
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Sabonis was better.

okur in his prime was way better then bargnani. he was a decent defender, rebounder and he still had an inside game. maybe bargs can be better, but not yet

NYY 26 to 7
11-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Bargs isn't a 5......he's barely a 4

Listed as a Center with most of his career starts at Center - he is a center. Most stretch 5's, which there aren't a ton, don't play like centers and aren't effective center. This is why we are talking about Okur (who never looked anything like a center) being the best at anything and not laughing hysterically.

NYY 26 to 7
11-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah Bargnani is the best -- at eating pasta. Okur is/was way better than him, and Okur could rebound too.

Wow I didn't know Bargnani was so hated around these parts. Sorry for making such a suggestion - we are talking about Okur as the best ever at something so I guess I didn't realize how high the standards were here.

CB29
11-14-2012, 02:53 PM

LOL i know.. He made 6 threes i think...

Chronz
11-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Bol was sick that night, I'll never forget it becasue it was so mind boggling.

Sonics went to the finals in '96 with a great "stretch 5" in Sam Perkins. Getting that far in the playoffs counts for something IMO even if he was the 4th option most nights (Kemp, Payton, Detlef).

Perkins was the other guy I had in mind, good comp

Chronz
11-14-2012, 03:00 PM
you dont have to be an allstar to be one of the best or the best at something.

I mean, if you ask bout top notch 3 p shooters everybody will point at the birds, millers , houstons or allens.

But you know, this dudes like hodges, kerr, ellis not really good for much else may have been equal or better at it.

Sikma had both thing, was a hell of an strecher and an alltime great ( that i miss by the way)
I didn't think of it that way. Not sure what to say, what your saying could technically be true, I was just focusing on the best player to fill that position (Stretch-5).

I guess it depends on whether you feel the question is asking whos the best 3pt shooting center or whos the best center that happens to shoot alot of 3's.

Like if we did this for stretch-4's, I think Novak is the best stretch-4 in terms of just shooting, but in terms of a total package from a stretch 4 hes not even close.

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Perkins was the other guy I had in mind, good comp

perkins played 4 more often thatn not in his career.

the other name should be sabonis in reality.

mike44
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Rasheed Wallace could be up there. He didnt always play the 5 though.

kdspurman
11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
He could be. Raef Lafrentz was pretty good as well.

kingsdelez24
11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Brad Miller comes to mind

ewing
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Smits was money out to 20

ewing
11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I young Kevin Duckworth was good too but Okur is the best unless you count Dirk

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Sabonis is a great answer, but so is Bill Laimbeer. He could drop a three like nothing. And Sam Perkins is in the conversation, though he was as good a rebounder as Laimbeer.

I give Laimbeer the edge, because he could shoot the three, but he was also an amazing rebounder and great defender.

noodle
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Simple answer:

NO

Thank you!

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
No love for Wang zizi?

or more seriously for Ming?

ewing
11-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Sabonis is a great answer, but so is Bill Laimbeer. He could drop a three like nothing. And Sam Perkins is in the conversation, though he was as good a rebounder as Laimbeer.

I give Laimbeer the edge, because he could shoot the three, but he was also an amazing rebounder and great defender.

Laimbeer was a foward as was Perk- though i guess he was closer to a center.

Il Mago50
11-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Robert Horry?!?

Channing Frye?

A bunch of other guys?

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Laimbeer was a foward as was Perk- though i guess he was closer to a center.

When you correct somebody, it's a good idea to know what you are talking about first.

I grew up watching the Pistons, and I don't remember Laimbeer ever playing forward. The Pistons had a lot of bigs (MaHorn, Edwards, Salley), and sometimes had two on the court at the same time, but Laimbeer was their starting center.

Check out his BBR page:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/laimbbi01.html

Clearly listed as center.
Likewise Wikipedia has him listed as a center:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Laimbeer

Perkins generally played Center, though he played PF as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkisa01.html

Anything else you want to correct me on? :facepalm:

ewing
11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
When you correct somebody, it's a good idea to know what you are talking about first.

I grew up watching the Pistons, and I don't remember Laimbeer ever playing forward. The Pistons had a lot of bigs (MaHorn, Edwards, Salley), and sometimes had two on the court at the same time, but Laimbeer was their starting center.

Check out his BBR page:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/laimbbi01.html

Clearly listed as center.
Likewise Wikipedia has him listed as a center:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Laimbeer

Perkins generally played Center, though he played PF as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkisa01.html

Anything else you want to correct me on? :facepalm:

I always considered James Edwards the center on the Pistons and Rich Mahorn/Spider his backup.

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I always considered James Edwards the center on the Pistons and Rich Mahorn/Spider his backup.

Chuck Daly had a lot of success with two big men on the court at the same time. He liked the big line-ups. But you'll see it's Laimbeer that is tangling with Kareem and Parish and the like.

Daly also preferred MaHorn to Edwards I think, but the Pistons gave MaHorn up in the expansion draft, so Edwards got his spot in the starting line-up the following year.

ewing
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Chuck Daly had a lot of success with two big men on the court at the same time. He liked the big line-ups. But you'll see it's Laimbeer that is tangling with Kareem and Parish and the like.

Daly also preferred MaHorn to Edwards I think, but the Pistons gave MaHorn up in the expansion draft, so Edwards got his spot in the starting line-up the following year.

I'll take your word for it. I guess i always consider Edwards a starting center b/c he was taller and played in the post on O.

Kao Sorn
11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Sabonis was a good shooter and great passer...definitely the best.
Divac, Brad Miller, and Lafrentz had longer careers.

Andrew32
11-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Yao Ming had beautiful form on his jumper and it was pretty reliable out to about 15-20 I think.

Young Sabonis would also probably be in contention.

Bishnoff
11-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Yeah, it was against the Suns. I remember that game lol.

Bruno
11-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I think it was Sabonis. Although it's difficult to be absolute on, Sabonis didn't start playing in the NBA until he was in his 30's. Okur was better from three during his NBA years, but Sabonis could spread it, and was probably better at everything else.

ChiSox219
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Dirk Nowitzki when Don Nelson was coaching the Mavs.

Hellcrooner
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
When pistons had two bigs, it used to be Mahorn at PF and Laimbeer at C.

then aftert a while and with Mahor gone with the expansion Rodman woudl play most of the time at PF and bill at center.

The only minutes Bill played PF was with Edwards or Bedford ( yep the whole 5 minutes of that drughead in the league :p)

Trueblue2
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Lefrentz, Sabonis

NoahH
11-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Andrew Bynum guys

Chronz
11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Brad Miller comes to mind
Definitely a better player than Okur in his prime but in terms of filling the role I think its a closer argument. Okur had the range, but Brad struck me as more consistent with his midrange-deep2 game.

No love for Wang zizi?

Yes to Wang, no on Ming. Yao played on the inside and didn't have the range on his J. He has a nice touch from in between but thats not stretching the D much. Even Pau is a better stretch-5.

Yao Ming had beautiful form on his jumper and it was pretty reliable out to about 15-20 I think.

Young Sabonis would also probably be in contention.
Yao was primarily an inside scorer. He had a nice touch but he lacked the deep2/corner game. And as minor as a point as it is, teams rarely feared closing out on him from deep. Its a minor point because plenty centers didn't put it on the floor but Yao is a special kind of slow. Even for a primary set shooter he wouldn't really headfake you out of your shoes to set you up for a J. He could still shoot over you, he just wasn't very efficient at it from deep.

Robert Horry?!?

Channing Frye?

A bunch of other guys?

Horry was more of a 4. Same with Frye but in this day and age hes becoming a defacto 5. I guess that would count but hes definitely several tiers below Okur

Sssmush
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Dirk, Kevin Love, Garnett.

to the extent that Okur was a "stretch 5" he was more like a 4 or a bizarro shooting guard or something rather than a center

Jint.
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Rik Smits ??

RaiderLakersA's
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Simple question

No.

Lakers + Giants
11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Sheed wasn't too bad himself, although he mostly played the 4.

xxplayerxx23
11-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Sheeds a 5 :D

Chronz
11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Simple question

No.
Who else?

bucketss
11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Sabonis was better.

bargnani can't even shoot lmbo

GodsSon
11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Cliff Robinson had a pretty good career with the Blazers and Suns.

The correct answer would be Wang ZhiZhi though...

DreamShaker
11-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Yao was not near the shooter Okur was. As Chronz said, Pau was a better shooter. So was Smits. And Perkins. And Cliff.

J4KOP99
11-15-2012, 01:09 AM
No love for Wang zizi?

Croon, I used to LAUNCH three's with Wang in one of the old nba video games. The dude was lights out.

As for real life, he was solid but IDT he was comparable to sikma, okur, or some of the others.

And IDT Ming "stretched" the floor enough. He had a great 12-16 ft shot but couldn't really extend it much further. And he also did most of his work out of the post.

J4KOP99
11-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Okur was definitely the center on those teams. He would defend the opposing C and Boozer was the absolute PF.

Robbw241
11-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Memo in 2k :love: I miss jimbob :(

basketfan4life
11-15-2012, 05:51 AM
We're from same nationality with Memo so you'd guess i say yes, but no, not because i can back this up, just because i hate the guy.

bigbeardaboss
11-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Hell no! Miller and Sabonis are great candidates. You could also make arguments for few natural power forwards that frequented the 5 spot at some point in their careers. Garnett would be a prime example.

Hellcrooner
11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
mm im thinking chambers was not much of a 3p shooter but he had long range and forced defenders to go outside on him, played more 4 than 5 ( 4 in sonics 5 in suns because their centers were always wack...had they had one good center and they may have won the thing in late 80s).

JordansBulls
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Simple answer:

NO

This

Losoway
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
one of them