PDA

View Full Version : Better for rookie development?

Ebbs
11-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Is it better for rookies development to:

A) Come off the bench in a reserved role limiting their time regardless of performance. (Drummond, Robinson)

B) Start and be thrust into a pivotal role on either side of the court. (Beal, Waiters, Davis)

C) Start but play limited minutes and be the 5th guy out there. (Barnes)

ink
11-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Depends on the rookie. And the position.

Deception
11-13-2012, 01:07 AM
I think that rookies obviously need minutes to get the experience they need to develop, but at the same time, putting too much on their plate can cause them to lose confidence and damage their potential.

b@llhog24
11-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Depends on the talent/BBIQ that the player has. But generally speaking I'd go with B.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-13-2012, 01:48 AM
I'd pick C only because there's only like 2-3 rookies a draft who can actually start and play a large role right away.

BallIsAll
11-13-2012, 01:50 AM
How about off the bench big role

Ebbs
11-13-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd pick C only because there's only like 2-3 rookies a draft who can actually start and play a large role right away.

I personally think C) is the worse strategy. It promotes this timid characteristic in young guys. Looking at Barnes they let him start but he's uninvolved in their offense. He's not getting much room to operate or grow. I think Paul George as well needed to be involved more earlier if he had he'd be a stud by now

Raps08-09 Champ
11-13-2012, 02:00 AM
I personally think C) is the worse strategy. It promotes this timid characteristic in young guys. Looking at Barnes they let him start but he's uninvolved in their offense. He's not getting much room to operate or grow. I think Paul George as well needed to be involved more earlier if he had he'd be a stud by now

That was the best option between the 3.

I would personally go pick the option "Have them come off the bench but play a solid (maybe 22-26 mins) role on the team."

Sadds The Gr8
11-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Depends on the rookie. And the position.

this. some guys are more ready than others.

Sota4Ever
11-13-2012, 02:19 AM
I would say off the bench with big role like someone has already said. It is what the wolves have done with Rubio and now with Shved.

JasonJohnHorn
11-13-2012, 10:35 AM
It depends on the situation. Does the team have any other legit options at that position? The the rookie ready to play? Can they play at a competative level? Is it too much pressure for them at once?

Like, when Shaq came in the league, he was ready to play starting minutes at an All-Star level, doing anything less just wouldn't make sense.

When Yao Ming came in, he was ready to play starting minutes, despite the fact that the minutes he played were at an All-Star level.

Then you have guys like Wall, where the team has not other option really at the point, and his FG% is low, and he turns the ball over, but you need to get him on the floor and develop him, and your team is gonna such with, or without him on the floor, so it doesn't hurt.

Then you get Darko, who gets drafted by a contender, and they don't need him on the floor, so they bring him on during garbage minutes to let him 'develop'. I mean, that didnt work well for Darko, but the team won the championship that season.

So it really depends on where the team is at and where the player is at.