PDA

View Full Version : Dr. J and the Lakers?

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
When the NJ Nets were moving to the NBA, they had to sell off Dr. J to buy into the league. Jerry West, then coach of the Lakers, which featured Kareem, told the Laker's owner, Cooke, to pick up Dr. J, but Cooke refused. Draft pics that would eventually land Magic and James Worthy would have been unaffected by this, meaning the Lakers would have had Magic, Dr. J (likely as a SG), James Worthy and Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the starting line-up! HOLY FAWK!!!!!!! What was Cooke thinking!

That certainly would have taken a ring away from the 76ers, and add at least one ring to LA (since LA lost the 83 finals to Dr. J's 76ers), but how many rings would LA have come away with had Cooke not been such a cheap b@st@rd? I'm not sure the Lakers would have even lost between 79-88.

Thoughts?

DreamShaker
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
That would have stunted Magic and Worthy's growth, imo. Plus, Dr. J was washed up by the time the Lakers peaked. Woulda been ridiculous for the short term, though!

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Magic, Dr. J, Big Game James Worthy, and Kareem? :drool:

We would've passed 17 by now for sure

LakersMaster24
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Magic/Anyone
Erving/Scott
Worthy/Cooper
A.C Green/Rambis
Kareem/Thompson

Hellcrooner
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
short tame would have changed nothing.
There were strange things going on back in the day.
Maybe kareem would have left.

How do you explain, that Kareem+dantley+Wilkes didnt do crap on the playoffs togheter?

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
short tame would have changed nothing.
There were strange things going on back in the day.
Maybe kareem would have left.

How do you explain, that Kareem+dantley+Wilkes didnt do crap on the playoffs togheter?

The 79 roster was really only four players deep, and they didn't have a second big man that could post double-digit in rebounds to help Kareem clean up the glass. But Sikma didn't really have any help in Seatle either...

Seriously though, I got a woody just thinking about Dr. J and Kareem... I mean they could have won a chip before Magic was even drafted!

Hellcrooner
11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
The 79 roster was really only four players deep, and they didn't have a second big man that could post double-digit in rebounds to help Kareem clean up the glass. But Sikma didn't really have any help in Seatle either...

Seriously though, I got a woody just thinking about Dr. J and Kareem... I mean they could have won a chip before Magic was even drafted!

he thing with dr j is he really screwed it up in 72 when he rejected ot go to the bucks that had drafted him.

Lucius allen, Oscar Robertson,Dr J, Bob Dandrige, Kareem

THAT would have won some rings, i mean they had been champions withouth him........

popo85
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
What a team that would would been

JordansBulls
11-20-2012, 03:56 PM
There was also rumors that the Bulls were going to trade the #3 pick for Dr J which would have been a disaster for a guy who only played 3 more seasons.

JasonJohnHorn
11-20-2012, 07:50 PM
There was also rumors that the Bulls were going to trade the #3 pick for Dr J which would have been a disaster for a guy who only played 3 more seasons.

:facepalm: They were seriously going to do that? Dr. J for Jordan? OMFG!!!! That would have haunted them for eternity! lol

Chronz
11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
There are alot of what ifs revolving Dr J. He and Pistol Pete were actually teammates for a day IIRC