PDA

View Full Version : Skip and Stephen A Rip Jim Buss: Jimmy's Ego Was The Main Reason Phil Was Not Hired

amos1er
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Just listened to the new First Take Pod Cast and listen to Stephen A and Skip rip Jimmy for his ego driven decision to hire D'Antoni over Phil. They basically agreed with everything I have felt about this decision and about Jim Buss for a long time.

Here is the link:

It starts at the 16:45 mark:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8623671

ManRam
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
We still care what these people have to say about anything?

justinnum1
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
true. if PJ was going to the lakers, it would have been jim buss or pJ, but they can not coexist

Ebbs
11-12-2012, 04:59 PM
They made the right call. The Lakers have enough big headed, self righteous individuals within their organization. Dantoni is someone everyone can work with.

Lake_Show2416
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Skip & Stephen A. r morons, if they would do their job & actually research their information they would know this move was ultimately decided by Jerry Buss not Jim

ManRam
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't even care if they are right or make good points anymore, they do such a disservice to the industry of sports reporting that I just no longer care.

Jim Buss knows what he's doing. He's dealt with Phil plenty, obviously, and I'm sure he has a better feel for things than these two. He might have an ego, but he's dealing with some of the biggest egos the sport has ever seen...so it's not that simple.

*Silver&Black*
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
ESPN is just mad this didn't go the way they have been forcing it down our throats with a Jackson return. I am in no way a Laker fan, but I think they made the right choice.

Avenged
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't know if it was the main reason but I don't doubt it was a reason.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I guess if those two talk for long enough they are bound to get something right eventually. Lakers fans are being ripped off here. Jim Buss obviously has a huge ego. The guy is holding the franchise back.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I guess if those two talk for long enough they are bound to get something right eventually. Lakers fans are being ripped off here. Jim Buss obviously has a huge ego. The guy is holding the franchise back.

I think I'd hold off on jumping to conclusions, we don't know who necessarily showed more of an ego problem, Phil wanting more power in the Lakers front office or the Buss family thinking that's too much for a coach who will only be here for 2 seasons..

amos1er
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
They made the right call. The Lakers have enough big headed, self righteous individuals within their organization. Dantoni is someone everyone can work with.

Funny how most of the Laker haters seem to think passing on Phil was the right thing to do. :rolleyes:

amos1er
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I think I'd hold off on jumping to conclusions, we don't know who necessarily showed more of an ego problem, Phil wanting more power in the Lakers front office or the Buss family thinking that's too much for a coach who will only be here for 2 seasons..

Phil was in the right. He was directly responsible for more championships than Jimmy and is a much greater asset the the organization than Jimmy. Phil's ego is justified...Jim Buss' isn't...his only accomplishment in life was being born the son of a rich man.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Phil was in the right. He was directly responsible for more championships than Jimmy and is a much greater asset the the organization than Jimmy. Phil's ego is justified...Jim Buss' isn't...his only accomplishment in life was being born the son of a rich man.

It wasn't just Jim Buss who made that decision, it was the Buss Family.. and The Buss Family were the ones who intially brought Phil in to begin with.. So....

ManRam
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
If Phil wanted 25 million bucks, a stake in the team and didn't want to attend all road games (I have no idea of any of that is true)...well...it doesn't take an ego to say no and hire the far less controversial and costly coach.

Point is, none of us quite know all the variables at play, and these two guys are no exception either.

Maybe they did indeed feel D'Antoni is a better fit. I don't like MDA, but I can see that thought process. The defense will be fine, but if you turn that offense into something great (the triangle would have been meh), then you have an unstoppable team.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
It wasn't just Jim Buss who made that decision, it was the Buss Family.. and The Buss Family were the ones who intially brought Phil in to begin with.. So....

Of course daddy will spare Jim the humiliation and say that it was a family decision, but anyone with any sort of common sense can read between the lines and know what really happened here.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Of course daddy will spare Jim the humiliation and say that it was a family decision, but anyone with any sort of common sense can read between the lines and know what really happened here.

It HAS to be a joint decision, Jerry Buss has a higher position, all moves go through him in the end regardless of who wants what.

LakersMaster24
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Can I say this again?

It was not a Jim Buss decision. Jerry, Jim and Mitch all sat down together and decided that D'Antoni was the best choice. In fact, Jerry was the one who pushed for this signing.

It was Phil's job to lose, and lose it he did.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
It HAS to be a joint decision, Jerry Buss has a higher position, all moves go through him in the end regardless of who wants what.

Jerry Buss will always get Jimmy's back at the end of the day, especially when he throws a whinny temper tantrum to get his way.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Can I say this again?

It was not a Jim Buss decision. Jerry, Jim and Mitch all sat down together and decided that D'Antoni was the best choice. In fact, Jerry was the one who pushed for this signing.

It was Phil's job to lose, and lose it he did.

You say this with such confidence as if you were a fly on the wall during the whole process. :rolleyes:

LakersMaster24
11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
You say this with such confidence as if you were a fly on the wall during the whole process. :rolleyes:

All the sources like Ding, Ireland, Bresnahan etc. are saying that.

What gives you the full confidence to say that it was all Jim Buss?

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Yes I too would like to ask that same question.

EaglesJackson10
11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I think it's sad that we go to these two for the immediate reaction. There are so many guys who know the NBA at least 10 times better than them. Hollinger, Zach Lowe, Matt Moore, and Bill Simmons are all guys who could give such better analysis and do. But ESPN operates under the (true) notion that people will watch ridiculous hyperbole rather than good analysis of the sport.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Dirg, Ireland, and Bresnahan are all company yes men. They will always side with management.

Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith and a hand full of other sources without vested interests all say that it was Buss.

None, it's only my opinion. I only took issue with what you were saying because you were stating your opinion as if it were fact.

LakersMaster24
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Dirg, Ireland, and Bresnahan are all company yes men. They will always side with management.

Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith and a hand full of other sources without vested interests all say that it was Buss.

None, it's only my opinion. I only took issue with what you were saying because you were stating your opinion as if it were fact.

Skip Bayless, really?

People like Bresnahan, Ireland and Trudell know more about the Lakers organization and whats going on behind closed doors than the showman Stephen A.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Skip Bayless, really?

People like Bresnahan, Ireland and Trudell know more about the Lakers organization and whats going on behind closed doors than the showman Stephen A.

Stephen A. has some very good sources. In fact, just recently he proved in an interview with Dwight that he was indeed gunning for NJ over LA last season.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Skip Bayless, really?

Bresnahan, Ireland, and Trudell all give the politically correct versions of every scandal in Lakerland. As I alluded to earlier, it's difficult for me to take the word of company men over the words of people who don't have any vested interests.

ManRam
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Stephen A will name drop every chance he can, because he's insecure about it and knows no one takes his insight seriously. He might have sources, but his inability to put forth legit analysis and his inability to speak in anything but ridiculous hyperbole is his downfall. He needs to just report what he hears and save the opinion and commentary. That's what gets him in trouble...because he sucks at it.

He can stretch the facts, and he's been caught doing so numerous times.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Stephen A. has some very good sources. In fact, just recently he proved in an interview with Dwight that he was indeed gunning for NJ over LA last season.

Yeah because Stephen A. was the only person in all of ESPN who knew that.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah because Stephen A. was the only person in all of ESPN who knew that.

Just one example I chose to give.

At the end of the day, you can have whatever opinion you want, and I'll have mine.

I think that we can both agree that we both want the Lakers to win it all this year despite who the coach is.

STA_PLAR
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
What's done is done. Let's see how this decision improves the Lakers.

ManRam
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
It looks like this is coming down to whether you believe Adrian Wojnorowski or Skip & Stephen A. If you are inclined to believe the latter over Woj, well, hahahhahaha....

Woj:

Between the hours of Mike Brown's firing and a meeting on Saturday morning with history's most accomplished coach, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak privately told people there was one candidate: Phil Jackson.

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni.

"Phil wanted Jim Buss to walk away with his tail between his legs," one source with knowledge of the discussions told Yahoo! Sports. "He thought he had time to still negotiate with them, and see how much they would give him."

Now, the Lakers are going out of their way to spare Jackson the embarrassment of his overreaching, but this is pointless spin. They're working with him to sell the public that he hadn't asked for too much, that somehow the franchise chose D'Antoni over Jackson on sheer merit. It's noble, but laughable. Jackson heard those chants in the Staples Center and never believed the Lakers had the guts to call his bluff before circling back to him on Monday.

A lot more here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--lakers-resist-phil-jackson-s-power-grab-11051709.html

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
It looks like this is coming down to whether you believe Adrian Wojnorowski or Skip & Stephen A. If you are inclined to believe the latter over Woj, well, hahahhahaha....

Woj:

Good read, thanks for posting

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I actually agree with alot of what Smith was saying about that.

ManRam
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I do think Woj does get too agenda driven...and ultimately pinning this on ONE PERSON'S EGO is probably a bit foolish. A lot of HUGE egos involved on this, and ultimately, it wasn't a good fit. Oh well.

amos1er
11-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I actually agree with alot of what Smith was saying about that.

Can't believe we actually agree about something.

Bruno
11-12-2012, 09:35 PM
it was a mistake.

TyrionLannister
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Hard to believe... :rolleyes:

John Walls Era
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith don't really have legit sources, most of their material is their own opinion.

Sssmush
11-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Just listened to the new First Take Pod Cast and listen to Stephen A and Skip rip Jimmy for his ego driven decision to hire D'Antoni over Phil. They basically agreed with everything I have felt about this decision and about Jim Buss for a long time.

Here is the link:

It starts at the 16:45 mark:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8623671

Phil Jackson R.I.P.

Sssmush
11-12-2012, 11:01 PM

Yeah, and I think it is cool that since the Phil camp is denying making any big demands, the Laker front office is just using jiu jitsu and going with it, saying "yeah, no demands were made, we just chose D'Antoni."

Brutal ultimate snub of Phil.

Seriously though, this is what Phil apparently wanted:

1. large salary

2. ownership stake in the Lakers

3. front office authority and/or input

4. assurance that he could hire and mentor his successor as Laker head coach going forward

5. discretion as to which road trips he would attend

6. allowance to miss morning shootarounds

Phil seemed to be taking the stance that the Lakers were desperate and were coming begging for him to come back. *bam* You misread the situation, you lose. Simple as that.

The Phil scenario never felt right to me somehow, maybe because we've already been down that road and 2010 already felt like the end. The idea of bringing him back, with everything on his terms, just seemed like the Lakers organization giving up and giving in.

I'm glad we went with D'Antoni.

naps
11-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Can't stand the Lakers but god it's painful to watch Jim Buss being the boss of such an historic franchise. Dr. Buss either needs to be the man to make every final call or bring Jerry West back in the franchise.

amos1er
11-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Can't stand the Lakers but god it's painful to watch Jim Buss being the boss of such an historic franchise. Dr. Buss either needs to be the man to make every final call or bring Jerry West back in the franchise.

Agreed.

Even the non Laker fans can see the truth. Sucks that so many of my fellow Laker fans are in denial.

amos1er
11-13-2012, 04:02 AM

Woj:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJc6zLxnetE

amos1er
11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah, and I think it is cool that since the Phil camp is denying making any big demands, the Laker front office is just using jiu jitsu and going with it, saying "yeah, no demands were made, we just chose D'Antoni."

Brutal ultimate snub of Phil.

Seriously though, this is what Phil apparently wanted:

1. large salary

2. ownership stake in the Lakers

3. front office authority and/or input

4. assurance that he could hire and mentor his successor as Laker head coach going forward

5. discretion as to which road trips he would attend

6. allowance to miss morning shootarounds

Phil seemed to be taking the stance that the Lakers were desperate and were coming begging for him to come back. *bam* You misread the situation, you lose. Simple as that.

The Phil scenario never felt right to me somehow, maybe because we've already been down that road and 2010 already felt like the end. The idea of bringing him back, with everything on his terms, just seemed like the Lakers organization giving up and giving in.

I'm glad we went with D'Antoni.

1hardcore
11-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Didnt Kobe want Brian Shaw ??

Would've been cheaper !

rocketfuel
11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Jimmy, Jerry and Mitch all sat together and made a joint decision. :D Sure. If they felt D'Antoni was right for the job, why would they go to Phil's house first? If they told him that he has until Monday to decide, why call him at midnight Sunday to tell them that they came to an agreement with Mike D'antoni. What a low rent move. Phil has won 11 championships and managed very hard to manage personalities. Something they haven't been able to find from any other coach in the past decade.

Sssmush
11-13-2012, 06:21 AM

ha. Rambis' expression looks like he just woke up with a tranny hooker in his bed

Tony_Starks
11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
This was all Jimmy. Even if you buy Dantoni being a better fit they at the least owed it to Phil to fly out there and tell him in person. To go back on their word and tell him on a midnight phonecall was a flat out slap in the face and let's you know there's no respect there.

Jimmy never liked Phil. He resented the fact that Phil never recognized his authority and Phils relationship with his sister. I doubt he ever intended to hire him at all but he knew the fans would kill him if he didn't at least make a cursory attempt to gauge his interest.

Chronz
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Woj:
Seems like the ESPN people are backing SAS.

Lake_Show2416
11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Everything ppl disagree with = Jim's fault
Everything ppl agree with = Mitch Kupchak brilliance

ppl can b so stupid

LAKERMANIA
11-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Seems like the ESPN people are backing SAS.

Well SAS works for ESPN and Woj doesn't...

Gram
11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Skip Bayless.

Gram
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Stephen A. Smith.

Gram
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Jim Buss.

rocketfuel
11-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I wonder how Jeannie feels about this....and those family dinners with the whole gang. Does Jeannie have an argument with dear old dad and brother Jimmy? Does Phil even show up to the family get togethers?

If Jim didn't want Phil, he should have just never let the name come up and went for whoever's on his list. To get the fans hope up and then pull the rug from out under them was not the best idea. And say he didn't like the terms. Just then tell Phil that they can't accept those terms and then bow out....and then look for the next coach... It was just handled so disrespectfully.

TheLegend
11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
The Laker brass may end-up regretting this one. In a Finals match-up with Miami, I'll much rather have Phil then D'Antoni.