PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson shocked over Lakers decision

LAKobeBryant
11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
In a shocking move, the Lakers chose Mike D'Antoni over 11-time champion Phil Jackson. You read that right -- Jackson didn't turn them down. The Lakers turned him down.

And according to ESPNLA.com, Jackson didn't see it coming.

When the Lakers called to tell Jackson that they had instead chosen Mike D'Antoni to be their next head coach, he was "stunned," according to the source, because he had been under the impression "it was his job to turn down" although no formal offer had ever been made.
Reports indicated Jackson was set to make a decision on Monday on whether he'd return to his high chair on the Laker bench, with most feeling he was leaning toward accepting an offer. With a intriguing roster built around a bunch of talent, it seemed as if it would be impossible for Jackson to say no.

Instead, it was the Lakers saying no as they went with D'Antoni, reportedly believing that his system was a better fit.

Jackson, of course, is known for the triangle offense. And with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, there evidently was some concern over how he'd fit that in with the heap of stars.

D'Antoni, who has a relationship with Nash and has coached both Howard and Kobe for Team USA, is known an offensive guru.

A report in the LA Times said that Jackson "wanted the moon" from the Lakers, likely including big salary requests, more control over the team and a special travel schedule. But the Lakers went in another direction.

Jackson and the Lakers had never spoken about a salary, the source said, "but he knew coaches don't make what he used to make anymore." He also never intended to miss any more road games than he had in his previous stints with the Lakers.

"Phil would come back only to win and skipping games doesn't lead to winning," the source said.

However, Jackson had wanted more say over basketball decisions, another source said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20951499/report-phil-jackson-stunned-over-lakers-move-to-hire-mike-dantoni

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah Jackson wanted a percentage of team ownership, a big salary according to LA Times... Also his travel schedule makes me wonder if he's even healthy enough to coach

xxplayerxx23
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
:laugh: Well when you ask for too much they go to the next option.

netsgiantsyanks
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
he did ask for too much...:shrug:

NBAfan4life
11-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm shocked.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
When Jordan wanted 30 million to play for the Bulls, the Bulls paind him 30 million. They didn't say: "Ron Harper will play for 3 million." because they knew they needed Jordan the win the championship.

Jackson is the best at what he does. D'Antoni might be asking for less money, but we saw how his style worked out in NY. D'Antoni wasn't even the second best coach available (Sloan). :facepalm:

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
When Jordan wanted 30 million to play for the Bulls, the Bulls paind him 30 million. They didn't say: "Ron Harper will play for 3 million." because they knew they needed Jordan the win the championship.

Jackson is the best at what he does. D'Antoni might be asking for less money, but we saw how his style worked out in NY. D'Antoni wasn't even the second best coach available (Sloan). :facepalm:

1)Jordan didn't ask for a percentage of the Bulls ownership and decide not to play on road trips...

2) NY didn't have a PG, and when they did with Lin, they were dominating... We have better players on our team than the Knicks did with D'antoni.. This is a better situation for Mike than the Knicks were...

waveycrockett
11-12-2012, 01:13 PM
The Lakers just hired Ron Burgundy over Phil Jackson

Shkelqim
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
The Zen should have whatever he wants. He does it every time. 11 championships, I can't believe the Lakers would bypass him. He is the ingredient to success, the Lakers will regret this decision when Mike D can't control Kobe or Dwight. To be successful in Mike's offense you need a bunch of class B players..with A star at PG. I really think its the same **** as having Mike Brown as their coach. Lol ZEN would of made a huge difference, not this guy.

pacofunk64
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Don't know why he's shocked? Seriously? Phil you're a great coach but you are not entitled to everything, lol.

hmart31
11-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Pretty surprising move, just give the best coach of this era whatever he wants its that simple. He already had taken road games off when they won their last championship.

Mr Costanza
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
The Lakers just hired Ron Burgundy over Phil Jackson

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pBi69gqVO0

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Laker organization is so dumb.

I don't give a f..* what Phil asked for they should have given it to him and shined his shoes.

They are putting their pride infront of team success with this move picking D (no championships) antoni over arguably the GOAT coach.

Not saying they can't still contend but they really should have just given Phil what he wanted and got him aboard.
Why wouldn't you wanna give some team ownership to one of the greatest basketball minds to ever walk the earth.

If I was a Laker fan I would be super pissed.

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
The Zen should have whatever he wants. He does it every time. 11 championships, I can't believe the Lakers would bypass him. He is the ingredient to success, the Lakers will regret this decision when Mike D can't control Kobe or Dwight. To be successful in Mike's offense you need a bunch of class B players..with A star at PG. I really think its the same **** as having Mike Brown as their coach. Lol ZEN would of made a huge difference, not this guy.

Phil Jackson was trying to pull a mini corporate takeover of the Lakers. He wants to own a % of the Lakers and have final say over roster decisions. he wants a piece of the family business...to sit in the boardroom and be the GM. i don't blame the Lakers for turning him down.

310Casper
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Not saying they can't still contend but they really should have just given Phil what he wanted.

At a certain point too much is too much. Where do they draw the line?

A stake in team ownership + all those travel restrictions (missing some away games) + more team ownership decision rights + more stuff. :facepalm:

His salary is the least of their concerns, they'd happily pay him his 10-12 million. But he wanted a short term 1-2 year contract + all of the demands I listed above. I get the 'give him what he wants' philosophy, but you do have to draw the line at a certain point.

The lakers #1 priority right now is for dwight to sign his name on the dotted lane at this season's end. And a coach like D'Antoni will make dwight play to his max potential, think amare + nash, now sub in dwight for amare. The players were already struggling learning the princeton, which is similar to the triangle. Bringing in Phil Jackson, giving him all his ridiculous demands for his short term contract, then expecting dwight and nash to learn the triangle for this season is reaching.

I understand why management made this decision. They're thinking forward.

torocan
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Pretty surprising move, just give the best coach of this era whatever he wants its that simple. He already had taken road games off when they won their last championship.

I'm sure they would have given Phil alot. However, I can't blame them for not wanting to give Phil part ownership.

It's the family business... and you don't just give that away. Especially if you're already asking for the moon and can't commit to an extended contract.

LONG after Phil is long and gone, the Buss family will STILL have the Lakers and the opportunity to win Championships.

There is such a thing as asking too much, even if you're Phil Jackson.

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
It's the family business... and you don't just give that away. Especially if you're already asking for the moon and can't commit to an extended contract.

Yeah but Phil is one of the greatest basketball minds ever.
Wouldn't making him "part" of the business be good for the business and the success of the franchise in the near future anyway?

J4KOP99
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

I don't give a f..* what Phil asked for they should have given it to him and shined his shoes.

They are putting their pride infront of team success with this move picking D (no championships) antoni over arguably the GOAT coach.

Not saying they can't still contend but they really should have just given Phil what he wanted and got him aboard.
Why wouldn't you wanna give some team ownership to one of the greatest basketball minds to ever walk the earth.

There's so much more to take into consideration. Mike is getting 3 yrs 12 million... that is likely what Phil asked for per year.

Mike has a much more basic offense to understand and will most likely be able to implement it months faster than Phil with the triangle.

What if Phil couldn't get the triangle ready this year? Does this Lakers roster really have time to waste trying to learn the triangle?

We know that Mike will have his system in place and he comes at a MUCH cheaper price.

If Mike sucks and the Lakers struggle, then they will probably fire him this off-season and give Phil an entire off-season, training camp, and pre-season to get his system in place.

As I said, there are other things to think about.

If you want to argue that when they are both at the top of their game, who is the better coach... then I'd have to agree that there is one obvious answer. But in this situation, you can't look at it that way.

310Casper
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't making him "part" of the business be good for the business and the success of the franchise?

I'd be interested to see the specifics of what Phil was demanding. How much % of team ownership, what exact "ownership decisions" he was requesting to have authority over, how many road games he was requesting to miss, etc...

I'd love for him to stick around and be part owner/ambassador like Magic did, but all we can do for now is assume. I'm sure the specifics on his list of 'demands' will leak out sooner or later.

xnick5757
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
didn't magic at one point own part of the lakers?

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
didn't magic at one point own part of the lakers?

That's different, Magic got the part ownership after he retired because of HIV

torocan
11-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't making him "part" of the business be good for the business and the success of the franchise in the near future anyway?

Not necessarily.

Phil is a control freak. If he was part owner, do you really think he'd sit back and let the staff run the team?

Could he let go and let a Head Coach do their job?

Being a good head coach doesn't necessarily translate into good basketball management decisions any more than being a good player does.

And what if Phil and Jeanie Buss break up? Do you REALLY want THAT clusterf*ck in your family business?

If Phil wants in on the family business, he can marry Jeanie. Outside of that, he's still NOT family.

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Mike has a much more basic offense to understand and will most likely be able to implement it months faster than Phil with the triangle.

What if Phil couldn't get the triangle ready this year? Does this Lakers roster really have time to waste trying to learn the triangle?

Hmm... didn't think of it that way.
That makes some sense.

Still considering Phil's amazing track record with these kind of teams if I was a Laker fan I'd feel more comfortable with him leading the team irregardless if his offense would take longer to learn.

Guys like Nash, Kobe and Gasol have really high BBIQ's and would have no issue transitioning into the triangle.

Dwight has a reletively low BBIQ but with those three + Phil teaching him I am sure he'd grasp it eventually.

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Jackson wanted a piece of the family business. i don't blame the Lakers for saying no. but yea, things must be awkward between Jackson and Jeanie Buss right now.

whitesoxfan83
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Jesus...

Can you imagine what Jackson will ask for after D'Antoni fails and the Lakers come crawling back?

This is a classic case of the smart decision being the wrong one.

You give Phil whatever he wants.

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Jesus...

Can you imagine what Jackson will ask for after D'Antoni fails and the Lakers come crawling back?

This is a classic case of the smart decision being the wrong one.

You give Phil whatever he wants.

it's not like Jackson is the only good coach that's unemployed right now. i highly doubt the Lakers will go "crawling back" if D'Antoni doesn't work out.

whitesoxfan83
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Ownernship- I'd say he deserved some piece of it, and it's not like he wasn't going to get in on some of it after Jerry Buss died.
Money- you're the lakers... who cares.
Road Games- He could have brought in Brian Shaw as his assistant and let him coach when he took off certain trips. It would have reset the situation where Shaw was the coach in waiting giving you long term stability as well...

popo85
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Don't care what he asked for, if this costs us DH12 then Buss is a moron

Jenceman
11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm no doubt disappointed, even if I only wanted Phil for nostalgic reasons (how awesome it would be to see him coach again) but I understand, and even support, hiring D'antoni.

He already has the respect of the the team's two elder statesmen in Kobe and Nash, and although he is ringless, he should have won a ring in what, 2007 when Amare had to sit that playoff game. That was the Suns year and they were robbed. His suns teams were also underrated defensively.

whitesoxfan83
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
it's not like Jackson is the only good coach that's unemployed right now. i highly doubt the Lakers will go "crawling back" if D'Antoni doesn't work out.

Well apparently D'Antoni was all that was out there now so who are these other coaches? Even great coaches like Sloan couldn't handle this squad.

You need a certain type of coach to handle these players and there's no one out there that was going to be able to better do that than Phil.

lakerfan85
11-12-2012, 01:46 PM

It's funny how you say the Laker organization is dumb.. If only we were as brilliant as the Knicks..

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Buss is not a moron. The Lakers are the Lakers because of Buss. D12, however, is a moron. He's a moron who's already talking about leaving your team. Buss > D12

YoungOne
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
as a celtics fan I like this decision :D

310Casper
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM

you could also make a case that it WON us DH12.

If this team makes it to at least the Finals with D'Antoni, i think Dwight stays with the lakers after this season. Of course, a lot more variables will have to come into play...but for the most part.

310Casper
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Buss is not a moron. The Lakers are the Lakers because of Buss. D12, however, is a moron. He's a moron who's already talking about leaving your team. Buss > D12

what?

link?

or are you making this up?

netsgiantsyanks
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
so because he's a amazing coach the lakers are supposed to let him **** them in the ***?

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Well apparently D'Antoni was all that was out there now so who are these other coaches? Even great coaches like Sloan couldn't handle this squad.

You need a certain type of coach to handle these players and there's no one out there that was going to be able to better do that than Phil.

http://doubledribble.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/best-available-coaches-for-the-lakers-hot-seat/

J4KOP99
11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Sloan is like 85 years old and was too tired dealing with certain annoyances in ****ing Utah... how the hell is he going to deal with the Lakers?

You guys just look at the basics... think a little.

-I agree that if you match up d'antoni and phil out of context, phil is the obvious choice... but more goes into it.

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
It's funny how you say the Laker organization is dumb.. If only we were as brilliant as the Knicks..

Knicks = 4-0
Lakers = 3-4
:cool:

And I wasn't saying the organization is dumb in general (they aren't) but they made a dumb decision here *imo* in not doing what was needed to sign Phil.

Maybe what he was asking for was truly unreasonable but if not they should have brought him on-board.

LAKERMANIA
Dwight is not leaving regardless of what happens...

He is not going to leave 25 million dollars on the table for any reason at all.. Especially leaving a city like LA..

theheatles
it seems the Buss family has some serious animosity towards Phil...They are so angry with all of the credit he is given for the Lakers success and for piping Jeanie...

but in all seriousness when you have the best pick n roll PG in the league with the best pick n roll big...you'd be pretty foolish to not run your team with a coach that specializes in that offense.

LAKERMANIA
:cool:

And I wasn't saying the organization is dumb in general (they aren't) but they made a dumb decision here *imo* in not doing what was needed to sign Phil.

Maybe what he was asking for was truly unreasonable but if not they should have brought him on-board.

Lakers: 16 championships

Knicks: 2 championships :cool:

FOBolous
11-12-2012, 01:52 PM
what?

link?

or are you making this up?

wasn't their an article about D12 and CP3 wanting to team up with each other?

***edit***

nevermind, i just read the article. didn't say anything about D12 wanting to leave the Lakers

jmoney85
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Dwight is not leaving regardless of what happens...

He is not going to leave 25 million dollars on the table for any reason at all.. Especially leaving a city like LA..

I wouldnt be too sure

gauth25
11-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I love Phil but this was a better move especially after the whispers of what Phil wanted. People can't compare the Knicks team to this current Lakers team. The Lakers have two big men that can move, plus Kobe and Nash running the offense. Look at what Nash did with just Amare in Phoenix.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I wouldnt be too sure

That's fine, because I would.

popo85
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
you could also make a case that it WON us DH12.

If this team makes it to at least the Finals with D'Antoni, i think Dwight stays with the lakers after this season. Of course, a lot more variables will have to come into play...but for the most part.

Well let's just hope this works, his last gig ended disastrous. Good thing if he brings Nate in as assistant.

Lakerfan In NY
11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Phil already has part ownership. He banging the boss daugther!! LOL. This would have put it in writing. D'Hole sucks. This team isn't built for his system. There's no SHOOTERS, NO FINISHERS, NO QUICKNESS & TOO MANY BIG MAN IN THE LANES. Another bad move from Lil Buss.

whitesoxfan83
11-12-2012, 02:08 PM
http://doubledribble.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/best-available-coaches-for-the-lakers-hot-seat/

Not one of those guys (D'Antoni included) can handle the roster that's been created except Phil Jackson.

Nate McMillian and Flip Saunders aren't leading any charges, Sloan and Brown are too old, the Van Gundy's carry too much baggage (and how well would that have gone over with Howard?).

There's literally only 1 coach that could have carried this squad.

jericho
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
why are peaople saying that it would have taken time to implement the triangle offense isnt this the same team he had minus d12 nash and jamison everybody else on that team knows how to run the triangle

shep33
11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Ken Berger is saying that Dantoni will try and get Nate McMillan as an assistant

Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2C28lBIXD

SteBO
11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Meh. McMillan isn't that great a defensive coach, but with Dwight, who knows......

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
why are peaople saying that it would have taken time to implement the triangle offense isnt this the same team he had minus d12 nash and jamison everybody else on that team knows how to run the triangle

Kobe, Pau, MWP and I believe Steve Blake are the only players PJ coached in his last season here, everyone else is new..

But it wouldn't take as long to implement and learn the triangle either, since the players were learning the Princeton and it is a motion based offense like the triangle..

TyrionLannister
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Honestly, it seems like Phil was only interested in the perks of returning, not coaching for more championships.

Makes the timing of Mike Brown's firing all the weirder though.

Stinkyoutsider
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Phil Jackson should have gotten everything he asked for and some more. For the Lakers, it's not good enough to just win 60 games. The fans expect titles and that's Jackson's specialty.

I actually think the Lakers would have given him everything else other than more control over the roster. Even the big salary if he was asking for it. I think it's the same reason they didn't go after Jerry Sloan. Hall of Fame coaches like Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan want control, and that's something Lakers management wants to keep.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Honestly, it seems like Phil was only interested in the perks of returning, not coaching for more championships.

Makes the timing of Mike Brown's firing all the weirder though.

I agree completely, I'm one of the biggest PJ fans ever, but I feel like the entire reasoning of him returning is so he can have some percentage ownership in the Lakers for life after coaching. Which would show me that his heart wouldn't be into winning another title, getting 12, or redeeming his last season.. It would just be for his own personal gains..

torocan
11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Phil Jackson should have gotten everything he asked for and some more. For the Lakers, it's not good enough to just win 60 games. The fans expect titles and that's Jackson's specialty.

I actually think the Lakers would have given him everything else other than more control over the roster. Even the big salary if he was asking for it. I think it's the same reason they didn't go after Jerry Sloan. Hall of Fame coaches like Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan want control, and that's something Lakers management wants to keep.

If I'm the Lakers, the two sticking points for me would be control and ownership. How much control and how much ownership can break just about any deal, especially if he's only around for 1 or 2 years.

jericho
11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Kobe, Pau, MWP and I believe Steve Blake are the only players PJ coached in his last season here, everyone else is new..

But it wouldn't take as long to implement and learn the triangle either, since the players were learning the Princeton and it is a motion based offense like the triangle..

you got me there but in reality those are the 1s that count plus nash d12 and jamison they are the 1s that were gonna get the major minutes the other guys could learn it on practice

Twins Fanatic
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I feel like this could lead to the Mike Brown decision all over again.

KnickaBocka.44
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Can you imagine...

Phil: "Hey Jeanie...tell your brother to get his ****in shinebox"

:laugh2:

The1_Who_knocks
11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Jimbaco screwed us over once again hey at least its not dunleavy

fresh prince
11-12-2012, 02:34 PM
This was the best hire the Lakers could have made for now and the mid term future.

Team Chemistry and offensive production should be high and reports are DAntoni is working on bringing in Nate MAc as a D coordinator.

#nomoreexcuses

Avenged
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM

They hardly "know" how to run it aside from Kobe and Pau.

Metta and Blake never really got the hang of it - hence their ineffectiveness in the system. Ebanks, well, he's Ebanks..

I can see the Lakers reasoning with not going after Phil.. They essentially think this squad is not smart enough to learn it :laugh2:

jmoney85
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
This was the best hire the Lakers could have made for now and the mid term future.

Team Chemistry and offensive production should be high and reports are DAntoni is working on bringing in Nate MAc as a D coordinator.

#nomoreexcuses

nate mac really isnt a great D coord

blahblahyoutoo
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM

did jordan say he would skip road games?

Bruno
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
according to kurt rambis, all this "travel restrictions" stuff is bs.

a part of ownership? that could have been the deal breaker.

jam
11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, Buss rivaling Dolan in stupidity. :)

ink
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Surprising, but if there's one thing D'Antoni can do, it's create an offensive juggernaut. They're on their own for D though.

GrumpyOldMan
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM
The Clippers should offer him an associate coaching position where he doesn't have to travel, but can still grace the court at the Staples Center as a bit of a "screw you" to the Lakers. I don't think he'd be interested, but that would make a great rivalry and would make me smile.

Knicks21
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Phil only wanted to coach home games...

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM

I feel the same way. Red did so much for the Celtics, when he was done coaching they gave him part of the team and put him in the front office, and we saw him help the Celtics build a title winning team after Russell retired with Dave Cowens in the post, then build another dynasty in the 80's, and some how he still managed to get the #2 pick in the draft in 86.... they won a title that year AND had the number two pick! He knew how to run a team.

Miami saw a similar chance to build something special with Pat Riely, and we've seen how much success he's brought the team.

Now the Lakers had a chance to build a special relationship with Phil Jackson, who has gotten their team to the finals SEVEN TIMES!!!! and won them FIVE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! And they pass him up for Mike 'Antoni (I refuse to put that "D" in front of his last name, because there is no "D" in his coaching, there shouldn't be one in his name, it is misleading).

When Phil left he suggest Brian Shaw take over, and Kobe backed him. Instead of taking the advice of the guy who brought five banners and your franchise player, you go out on your own and hire Mike Brwn? (I don't put an "O" in "Brown" because just as 'Antoni has no "D" in his game, Brwn has not "O" in his). WTF?!?!!?

Having Phil as a part of your organization is a special opprotunity. They should have jumped on it. This move seems like it's got pride written all over it. It is a shame.

And the weird thing is, like you, I feel like Lakers fans have been slighted, like the ownership isn't putting the best possible product on the floor. As a fan i would be furious, but all the Lakers fasn are jumping down my throat about this saying it was the right move.

You know what... the Lakers may very well win it all this year, just because they are that talented, but if they do it will not be because of Jim Buss, it will be despite him. And D'Antoni isn't going to make this team a championship team. They are already a championship team without him. It's like when Paul Westphaul coached the Suns... of course he got a great record, he's coaching an ALL-STAR team! When he had a $#!T roster he did $#!T. We saw Phil come in and take over a Lakers roster that was in the lottery and with no real additional players he got them into the post season. 'Antoni wouldn't have been able to pull that off.

I realize that this roster doesn't fit the triangle that well, but neither does it fit 'Antoni's P&R... both systems require perimiter shooters... but Phil knows how to maximize the talent he has. He did it in Chicago (I mean, come on, he won three titles in a row with Luc Longley as his starting center), and frankly, he did it in LA to (04 Lakers were 4 players deep, and after that they had nothing, yet the Lakers still got to the finals).

I think the Lakers organization will regret this.

And for fawks sakes, the least they could have done was call up Jerry fawking Sloan, the best P&R coach in the game who actually knows how to put together a defensive set... jesus!

And for the record, Mike Dunleavy and Nate McMillen were both better options than 'Antoni.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
did jordan say he would skip road games?

We don't know what Phil was asking for. But if Jordan asked to take half the regular season off, the Bulls would have kissed his @$$ and said yes. As long as he was there to help sell out the home games, they wouldn't give a $#!T what the attendance was on the road games ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Which Buss are you talking about? Jerry or Jim. I give Jerry a lot of credit. He repaired the strained relationship between the Lakers organization and Jerry West (West was actually awarded a head coaching job in LA as part of a legal settlement... crazy?!?!?!?!). The former owner (Cooke) actually had a chance to pair Kareem with Dr. J and refused to pay the money the Nets wanted (West was furious about this). When Jerry Buss came in, he did what was needed to win. Part of it was luck. Magic was a once in a lifetime player... you don't get players that special come through, nor ones that can run and offence the way he did... in my eyes, Magic and "Showtime" made the Lakers what they are. They wouldn't be worth as much as they are if Magic hadn't turned them into the marketable franchise he made them. They'd still turn a profit, no doubt, but Magic got the nation to watch LAL, just like Jordan got the nation to watch Chi-town. But buss deserve credit, because he has kept the team competative and kept West in charge of all the basketball choices that needed to be made... and West knew how to build a team.

Since West left though, Jerry Buss has taken a smaller role in the team and Jim Buss has stepped up and relied on Mitch Kupchuck. Mitch doesn't draft players as well as West did, but he's done a solid job of putting together some great trades (part of that has been luck to though, I mean, he wa slucky he had an expiring contract that matched Gasol's contract when Memphis decided to re-build, and he's lucky the Magic didn't manage to work out a deal with BK), but he's done a lot of work.

I give a lot of credit to Jerry Buss... he's brilliant... I mean, he's a doctor for crying out loud, but Jim Buss... is nepotism at it's worse. He he had a vagina and Jeannie had a penis, she'd be running the team. Jeannie knows more about basketball than Jim does. She should be running the team. And I bet she would have been able to get Phil Jackson to take the job for less ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 05:06 PM
so because he's a amazing coach the lakers are supposed to let him **** them in the ***?

I mean... he's alearding **** Jeanie in the ****, so what's the diff really?

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
That's different, Magic got the part ownership after he retired because of HIV

:facepalm: Yes, Buss gave him part ownership because he had HIV. :facepalm:

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
:facepalm: Yes, Buss gave him part ownership because he had HIV. :facepalm:

Prove me wrong.

EDIT: I'll rephrase, sure one of the reasons why Magic got part-ownership was because of his service to the Lakers all those years, but you can't possibly tell me that the Buss family feeling bad about Magic's HIV virus and his sudden departure didn't play a role in that decision.

godolphins
11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Wrong thread

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Ken Berger is saying that Dantoni will try and get Nate McMillan as an assistant

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2C28lBIXD

That awkward moment where the assistant coach is a better head coach then the head coach.

heyman321
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
That awkward moment where the assistant coach is a better head coach then the head coach.

Yeah cause Macmillan really killed it in his last year with Portland when he realized he didn't have allstar players to lean on.

Chill_Will_24
11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Dwight will not be happy about this

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah cause Macmillan really killed it in his last year with Portland when he realized he didn't have allstar players to lean on.

Not his fault that...

-Roy retired right before the season started
- Batum regressed from the year before
- His starting PG came back from the lock out out of shape
- Wallace began to decline
- That Matthews also regressed from the season before

D'Antoni had a team last season with "stars" and failed with them too...

Cracka2HI!
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't think the Lakers sould have flirted with Phil. D'Antoni might have more pressure on him than any coach in history. I'm not sure what Phil's demands were but I know how it will look to Laker fans if they have another losing streak. I don't think we've heard the last of the "we want Phil" chants.

DaVille
11-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Greedy bastard got what he deserved.

Joshtd1
11-12-2012, 06:23 PM

I always liked Nate, would love him as an assistant or even a potential Pop replacement whenever that day comes.

Shark
11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I think most of you guys are missing the point that D'antoni has done well when he has a solid built team, he also has a strong relationship with Nash. Nash knows the type of game D'antoni likes to run, it may make it easy for other guys once everyone is on the same page.

Phil Jackson is great, he's won 11 championships. But c'mon people, he had arguably the best built teams to do it with during those years.

LAKERMANIA
11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I heard on the radio an important plus for the D'Antoni system

"When Dwight plays well, Dwight plays well.. When Nash plays well, EVERYBODY plays well.."

KnicksFan4Years
11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Not his fault that...

D'Antoni's struggles had to do with Melo not wanting to play for him. D'Antoni improved the team. If Melo had played for D'Antoni the way that he played for Woodson, Knicks would have won a lot more games.

I've been watching basketball a long time and I didn't miss even the worst seasons. D'Antoni is a good coach. We were without a true PG most of last year and that killed the team.

With Nash, Kobe, Dwight, Pau as a core, D'Antoni will perform quite well, and it won't be long until the Lakers will be considered one of the top two teams in the West.

KnicksFan4Years
11-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Not his fault that...

D'Antoni's struggles had to do with Melo not wanting to play for him. D'Antoni improved the team. If Melo had played for D'Antoni the way that he played for Woodson, Knicks would have won a lot more games.

I've been watching basketball a long time and I didn't miss even the worst seasons. D'Antoni is a good coach. We were without a true PG most of last year and that killed the team.

With Nash, Kobe, Dwight, Pau as a core, D'Antoni will perform quite well, and it won't be long until the Lakers will be considered one of the top two teams in the West.

D'Antoni's teams have never been terrible defensively, except when he had terrible defensive players. And don't talk about Woodson, because he was coaching defense for the whole season last year, but when Melo wasn't playing hard for D'Antoni, it made the whole team look a lot worse than we were.

Confusious
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM

My thoughts exactly.

This will hurt the Lakers. It shows they won't do WHATEVER it takes to win. Mike once told Walter White to never take a half measure. That is exactly what the Lakers have done.

ink
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I heard on the radio an important plus for the D'Antoni system

"When Dwight plays well, Dwight plays well.. When Nash plays well, EVERYBODY plays well.."

Exactly. Nash was wasted with Mike Brown and he would have been completely wasted with PJs system. If you invest in a brand new FA you might as well bring in a coach who will help him HELP THE REST OF THE TEAM.

He's your on-the-court coach.

ink
11-12-2012, 09:48 PM

D'Antoni's teams have never been terrible defensively, except when he had terrible defensive players. And don't talk about Woodson, because he was coaching defense for the whole season last year, but when Melo wasn't playing hard for D'Antoni, it made the whole team look a lot worse than we were.

Good insights. Thanks.

ink
11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
There's no doubt it's a shocking move though. Whoever said it earlier in the thread, nailed it: the "we want Phil" chants are going to come out as soon as D'Antoni stumbles or the team struggles (which they inevitably will do). Hopefully Mike's skin is still as thick as ever.

Andrew32
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Good post but weren't most of Pringles teams usually Top 5 worse defensive teams in the league and the absolute worst defensive teams in some years?

basketfan4life
11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Good post but weren't most of Pringles teams usually Top 5 worse defensive teams in the league and the absolute worst defensive teams in some years?

from 2005 to 2007, suns were 17,16 and 13th defensively respectively. And that is with Amare controling the paint instead of Dwight. Gasol is years better than Amare defensively let alone Dwight, our defense will be fine.

And what kind of a NYK fan are you? Wasn't the Knicks top 10 defensively when Mike coaching them last year?

kbtwofour
11-13-2012, 06:33 AM

Mike never had a great defensive player like Dwight. Kobe and Artest can still play good D when they want to. Kobe is still effective on D when he does not gamble on defense.

I'm not too surprise that they decided to go with Mike D.

1. Jerry Buss has been trying to create the Showtime era for over 20 years. He has never been a fan of the triangle offense and he is not a fan of slowing down the game. He was okay with the triangle offense because the team was winning championships and his teams were successful.

2. Phil really did not want to come back to coach. If Phil really wanted to come back to coach he would've taken a small paycut and he would be coaching the Lakers right now. It was obvious to me because he was asking for things a coach should not be asking from a team.

3. The Lakers did not want to keep depending on Phil to bail them out every time they need a coach. It makes them look bad that every time they replace him with another coach they come right back to him to replace his replacement. No way Jim and Phil can work together again and have a healthy relationship.

naps
11-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Jim Buss is screwing the Lakers. As a Heat fan I love his actions but as a basketball fan it kills me to see him destroying that storied franchise. Wrong man for this job. I hope Dr. Buss takes his son out of this organization for the good of his franchise and basketball. Phil Jackson's demand of reduced and controlled road trips are absolutely false. I heard Kurt Rambis today and he said it's just wrong. Phil is a winner and he knows he can't win by restricting himself on trips. Rambis is very close to jackson so I am pretty sure he knows what's up more than these so called pathetic rumor spreading reporters.

kbtwofour
11-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Jim Buss is screwing the Lakers. As a Heat fan I love his actions but as a basketball fan it kills me to see him destroying that storied franchise. Wrong man for this job. I hope Dr. Buss takes his son out of this organization for the good of his franchise and basketball. Phil Jackson's demand of reduced and controlled road trips are absolutely false. I heard Kurt Rambis today and he said it's just wrong. Phil is a winner and he knows he can't win by restricting himself on trips. Rambis is very close to jackson so I am pretty sure he knows what's up more than these so called pathetic rumor spreading reporters.

I do think so of the rumors of Phil's demands were leaked by Jim's camp to make Phil look bad.

rocketfuel
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
If Jim put making Phil looking bad ahead of getting the best coach, well.... I see a lot of backwards rationalizing now. Before the decision was announced, 99.999% wanted Phil and thought he was the best guy for the job. Phil's a proven winner. As much as people want to say a team can coach themselves, a head coach makes a huge difference. They really should have just had Phil for the whole decade... I don't even know why they went to a different coach...they never went to the finals with any other coach than Phil. There's only a small window for this current roster: Kobe might retire in a few years. Nash is 38. Pau's also getting older... and if the Lakers have a disappointing year, Dwight might skip town for some other contender. The ramifications are huge. That decision is so frustrating.

naps
11-13-2012, 08:37 AM
I do think so of the rumors of Phil's demands were leaked by Jim's camp to make Phil look bad.

You could be right. May be Phil was never the plan. The meeting with him and the so called offer was probably a smokescreen to calm down the massive "We want Phil" chant. Leaking out Phil's demands whether they were accurate or not was the way to make him look bad on the eyes of majority Lakers fans who wanted him badly.

rocketfuel
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Well, if that's the plan... if they fall short of the championship, there will be a lot of Phil chants and second guessing going on.

YashBoone
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Not his fault that...

Classic bs excuses.
Dantoni FAILED. In case you didn't notice the only thing dantoni did was prove us to a below to at .500 ball club. That's hardly worth recognition.

Lmao of coarse he'll do good with Nash Kobe Pau and Howard......IT'S NASH KOBE PAU AND HOWARD.
Mike brown probably would have done just fine also if lakers were more patient.

Apophis
11-13-2012, 10:39 AM

I think you are right.. Some of those demands were outrageous..

I know that this statement was released..

"Saturday morning, Jim Buss, called to ask if he could come and visit. I did not solicit or ask for the opportunity, but I welcomed both he and Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as the head coach. We talked for over an hour and a half.

No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a hand shake and an understanding that I would have until Monday (today) to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job.

I was awakened at midnight on Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak. He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D'Antoni to a 3-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker Fans who endorsed my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20958417/phil-jackson-releases-statement-calls-lakers-handling-of-the-situation-slimy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0Saev3HZA

LAKobeBryant
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Il miss the we want Phil chant

Patman
11-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Uhm no his Suns teams were mostly middle of the pack on defense, between 17th and 13th, so no he isn't as bad a defensive coach as people believe.

If you run a lot you will score a lot of points and get scored on a lot.

justinnum1
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
kyler
"I don't know if they have the mobility and agility to contend with the East. ..." - Phil Jackson

"To call this a championship-bound team, that's a misnomer." -- Phil Jackson

lolol

ewing
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Dwight will not be happy about this

Yeah, running pick and roll with Steve Nash in a D'antoni offense will be hard on him

ewing
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Classic bs excuses.
Dantoni FAILED. In case you didn't notice the only thing dantoni did was prove us to a below to at .500 ball club. That's hardly worth recognition.

Lmao of coarse he'll do good with Nash Kobe Pau and Howard......IT'S NASH KOBE PAU AND HOWARD.
Mike brown probably would have done just fine also if lakers were more patient.

Of course he failed. If the best player doesn't want you there and doesn't play hard for you, you will fail.

kbtwofour
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I think you are right.. Some of those demands were outrageous..

I know that this statement was released..

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20958417/phil-jackson-releases-statement-calls-lakers-handling-of-the-situation-slimy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0Saev3HZA

I don't think the Lakers really wanted him back because they would've waited till Monday for him to make a decision. How can you offer him the job without offering a deal or letting his agent negotiate a deal?

I really don't think both sides wanted each other. The Lakers made it seem like they really wanted Phil and only Phil. How was Mike D hired so fast without meeting with him in person? Phil was thinking about it, but was not 100% into it.

boobsandgravy
11-13-2012, 03:36 PM

this is a very ignorant post. you don't know what you're saying, and this post just makes you look like an idiot.

boobsandgravy
11-13-2012, 03:44 PM

except dr jerry buss is alive and kicking. he's the owner and has the last say about the decisions being made here. people love to point to jim buss as the culprit, i mean he did make some boneheaded moves but that doesnt mean he makes the decisions all the time. dont you guys think that jerry buss had any influence on the decision to hire dantoni instead? it's been known for a while now that he has been looking to see the lakers get back to the showtime era, fast paced exciting game play. you guys need to stop blaming jim for everything wrong that has happened. btw, the guy just got nash and dwight in one offseason.. he's not bound to be perfect all the time but he makes good basketball decisions.

TheIlladelph16
11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
My thoughts exactly.

This will hurt the Lakers. It shows they won't do WHATEVER it takes to win. Mike once told Walter White to never take a half measure. That is exactly what the Lakers have done.

Ohhhhhh **** we have a Breaking Bad reference. Bravo to you sir:clap: No Half Measures.

On a serious note: I would be shocked too if I was arguably the greatest coach of all-time and got pushed away for a guy who led the Knicks to a sub-500 level of play. I'm fine if the Lakers want to go with D'antoni, but they handled the whole thing terribly from start to finish.

rocketfuel
11-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Either way, this was not handled well. If you didn't want Phil, don't even let it out in the press. It just puts a target on D'antoni if the team isn't winning.

Gram
11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Phil Jackson.

Gram
11-13-2012, 06:14 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers.